Miami FQR: Bautista-Agut def. [6] Lorenzi 5-7 6-4 7-5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Miami FQR: Bautista-Agut def. [6] Lorenzi 5-7 6-4 7-5

Filo V.
03-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Match took 3:02. Bautista broke at the end of all three sets. Lorenzi was mostly dominant on serve in the first set until *5-4 where he was broken serving for the first set. Lorenzi then broke back immediately and held serve easily to win the first set. Bautista had a 4-*1 lead in the second set but got broken and the scores eventually got to 4 all. Both players held several close service games until 5-4, where Bautista broke Lorenzi to win the second set.

In the third set, Lorenzi had a 4-2 lead before Bautista broke twice and won five of the last six games to win the match. Lorenzi struggled on serve for most of the third set whereas Bautista held mostly comfortably from the middle of the set onward.

Two very tough wins for the Spaniard to qualify for his first ever Masters Series event. Congrats to Roberto on making the MD. He also took out Crapenzi which is always a good thing.

PDC
03-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Come on Roberto,

After 23 years old, you deserve the first ATP win.

He is 17-6 this season ( on 1GS qualify 2 MS1000 Qualify, 3 250 Qualify 1 CH)

0-4 ATP MD

Come one dude!

156mphserve
03-20-2012, 11:39 PM
Not sure why Lorenzi fought this hard considering he's first in line for a LL spot, I guess he wanted to earn it rather than backing in, I like that:yeah:

We'll probably be seeing him in the MD anyway, someone will withdraw

hotdog
03-21-2012, 12:11 AM
He's 4th in line...that's why he fought hard...

156mphserve
03-21-2012, 12:16 AM
He's 4th in line...that's why he fought hard...

LL are based on the most current rankings not seeding I believe. In the latest rankings Lorenzi jumped the 3 seeded players in front of him, and is the highest ranked final round loser;)

hotdog
03-21-2012, 12:23 AM
Really. Have they changed the rule this year? That hasn't been the case before has it?

156mphserve
03-21-2012, 12:27 AM
Really. Have they changed the rule this year? That hasn't been the case before has it?

usually the seeding is done with the latest ranking, and that's why the LL list is identical to the seeding list, but this week the qualifying draw was done Sunday night, and therefore the seeds were based on last weeks rankings, so they could be different, and in this case it turned out to be because Lorenzi's ranking improved enough to jump those in front of him because he made the final of Guadalajara this past weekend.

I'm pretty sure it's based on the latest ranking, there is an off chance I may be wrong though

hotdog
03-21-2012, 12:28 AM
I thought the LL's were decided on the highest ranked players when the draw was made.

156mphserve
03-21-2012, 12:34 AM
copied from the rules

"The lucky losers shall be selected on the basis of their position on the ATP rankings (singles or doubles) list used for the determination of qualifying seeding (protected ranking is not considered); that is, the lucky loser with the highest entry ranking position shall be the first inserted into the main draw and so forth."

The first sentence says it should be based on seeding, and then the 2nd says it should be based on ranking, what if these are different:confused:

I believe I recall a grand slam where a player got into the 4 player LL draw in front of someone else because he had a better current ranking than the other player even though the other players seed was better(the draw was done again Sunday night, so the seeds, and ranking was different). So I applied the same logic here. The rule seems contridictory though.

I guess we'll have to see which player goes in first when(and if) someone withdraws, and then we'll know. Kamke or Lorenzi

hotdog
03-21-2012, 12:39 AM
The rules are different for Slams...there is a ballot for the LL spot.

156mphserve
03-21-2012, 12:52 AM
The rules are different for Slams...there is a ballot for the LL spot.

I understand that. But the top 4 go into that ballot like I said(except I called it a draw), but what I said was that the 5th best seed that lost in the final round of qualies went into that ballot while the 4th best seed didn't because the newly updated rankings had the 5th seed ahead of the 4th one, so he went in based on the new rankings.

It may not have happened but I think I remember it, could be wrong though.

RonaldGomez
03-21-2012, 12:55 AM
Come on Roberto,

After 23 years old, you deserve the first ATP win.

He is 17-6 this season ( on 1GS qualify 2 MS1000 Qualify, 3 250 Qualify 1 CH)

0-4 ATP MD

Come one dude!

I think it will be tough for him. Lack of weapons for a Master Series + very long qualies. But GL to him he's a clever player imo ;)

Henry Chinaski
03-21-2012, 01:49 AM
Bautigol is a big fighter. Props to him for qualifying.

156mphserve
03-21-2012, 07:53 PM
I guess we'll have to see which player goes in first when(and if) someone withdraws, and then we'll know. Kamke or Lorenzi

petzschner withdrew, and was replaced by Kamke, I guess I was wrong.

I like Kamke better than Lorenzi so I don't mind:)

Filo V.
03-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Kamke vs Dodig.........who to root for in that match :scratch: