Different mental approaches of the top pros [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Different mental approaches of the top pros

out_grinder
03-20-2012, 12:07 AM
One way of dealing with the mental pressure of a tennis match is to work yourself up into a frenzy of utter hatred of opponent. Whether you lose a point or win a point, whether you're losing the match, even, or way ahead, you visualize pummelling your opponent to the floor, kicking his head until his neck snaps, using a hammer to smash his eye sockets until his brain is mush...etc... This is a great way of remaining mentally tough and I think it is the approach that Nadal uses. I personally use this approach, not only in tennis, but in my career and all walks of life as well.

Federer uses the 'I'm better than you' arrogant mental approach, yet it breaks down against Nadal.

If you use the former mental approach, I believe you will have no trouble remaining mentally tough against any player, whereas if you go in with Federer's more arrogant attitude, if a player has beaten you in the past, doubts will creep in.

What do you think?

emotion
03-20-2012, 12:27 AM
Emotionless approach: Uses it most notably- No one really currently at the top Uses it best:Dodig Uses it worst: Hanescu
Hyper-emotional approach: Uses it most notably:Djokovic Uses it best:Youzhny and Djokovic Uses it worst:Giraldo
Boiling over anger: Uses it most notably:Ferrer Uses it best: Soderling Uses it worst: Falla
Mostly positivity: Really, this one is mostly just Nadal
Mostly negativity: Uses it most notably: Murray Uses it best: Roddick & Davydenko (aside from vs Fed for both) Uses it worst: Fish
Simply confident: Uses it most notably: Federer Uses it best: Isner Uses it worst: Gasquet (seems to just add pressure to him)

Just my take

fast_clay
03-20-2012, 03:54 AM
fed trolled nadal about timekeeping pre IW and nadal was very angry... the sith used anger as a tool against his apprentice... so it can be said that an anger overload does not work for nadal... fed needs to remark that nadal needs to pull his finger out of his arse in a pre RG presser, and follow up that arse picking is not the sort of imagery tennis needs to promote itself in a positive light and that the arse picking is also very unhygienic...