Should federer skip monte carlo? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Should federer skip monte carlo?

FedvsNole
03-19-2012, 04:44 AM
Forget that he's only 800 points away from nadal for the #2 seed which could potentially play out with nadal being in nole's half at RG 2012.
He's been playing great tennis so far. Miami will end on 3-30 and roger will be out of action till 5-7 when madrid starts. He's got such great momentum he may lose his form by then.

Monte Carlo starts 2 weeks after miami ends. This Will allow fed to get a little bit of relaxation ( 2 weeks) and then as short of travel aside from playing in basel. It's only 300 miles from basel, switzerland so a 1 hour flight for fed. It's on clay which should be much easier on the body and a chance for fed to get some clay play started. Its only 5 matches at most compared to 6 at indian wells/miami and the tournament ends by 4-22 which would give fed another 2 weeks off post monte carlo for conditioning/rest while keeping him match tough and letting him know where his clay game is at and what needs work before madrid starts 5-7.

Otherwise if federer skips monte carlo he will have a full 5 weeks off, lose 180 points, and won't be back till madrid where he is defending the 360 points for reaching semis last year. I say if he's injury free he should play bc the older you get you wanna avoid long breaks if your lucky to be injury free to keep your game going strong.

Ibracadabra
03-19-2012, 05:29 AM
Obviously depends on how he feels physically. If he is fine then why not?

HKz
03-19-2012, 05:32 AM
Ya he looks really fresh despite all the tennis the past couple of months. I think he should play MC especially considering it would only be 5 matches maximum.

Either way, taking a glance at his schedule, it doesn't seem like he will be playing.

viruzzz
03-19-2012, 05:35 AM
I really think he should play it.
I know, Rafa's level on clay is almost unbeatable. But if Fed continues in the good way, he could upset Nole here.
And we never know with Roger... Never count him out.

FedvsNole
03-19-2012, 05:39 AM
I know, Rafa's level on clay is almost unbeatable. But if Fed continues in the good way, he could upset Nole here.

Honestly, I don't think nole is playing this event which is why roger should play since he's got an awesome shot to make the finals much easier and pick up +420 points from his last years 180 points. Nadal will still have to play and make it to the finals and win just to defend his 1000 points and an upset by anyone even injury could cost him major points.

On the other hand if nole decides to play, roger should maybe skip it since its a good chance nole will beat rafa and rafa woudl lose -400 points from that.

Is nole skipping or playing monte carlo?

Mystique
03-19-2012, 05:46 AM
as long as he doesnt pull a Murray in Miami and hopefully makes a QF or SF (I will be more than happy with Fed going into the 2nd quarter of the season with that), a big fat NO.
He has played A LOT of tennis these last two months. When he is losing, everyone is like "ah he is old", when he is winning people tend to take his supposed "freshness" for granted. At his age, and with the back issue and the illness he has had already this year, overplaying will be a bad idea. Especially in an Olympic year.

Federer doesnt schedule retarded, and hopefully he will stick to the same this year. NO MC please. Take April off. Two tournaments b4 RG on clay is enough. If this is about the RG number 2 seeding, again its not really worth. There is no guarantee that Rafa will end up in Novak's half if that is to happen, secondly what if Nadal goes on a tear on clay a la 2010? Fed even with a final in MC wont get to Number 2 :shrug:

So IMO, its not worth it. Madrid suits him, he could make a good run there and maybe the stars will align themselves if it is meant to be.

abraxas21
03-19-2012, 06:04 AM
not sure.

federer has played a lot these last couple of months. playing 2 ATP 500 and a DC rubber between AO and IW was something pretty strange in federer's historical schedule.

maybe he'll keep on that plan and add MC to his schedule this year.

FedvsNole
03-19-2012, 06:04 AM
as long as he doesnt pull a Murray in Miami and hopefully makes a QF or SF (I will be more than happy with Fed going into the 2nd quarter of the season with that), a big fat NO.
He has played A LOT of tennis these last two months. When he is losing, everyone is like "ah he is old", when he is winning people tend to take his supposed "freshness" for granted. At his age, and with the back issue and the illness he has had already this year, overplaying will be a bad idea. Especially in an Olympic year.

Federer doesnt schedule retarded, and hopefully he will stick to the same this year. NO MC please. Take April off. Two tournaments b4 RG on clay is enough. If this is about the RG number 2 seeding, again its not really worth. There is no guarantee that Rafa will end up in Novak's half if that is to happen, secondly what if Nadal goes on a tear on clay a la 2010? Fed even with a final in MC wont get to Number 2 :shrug:

So IMO, its not worth it. Madrid suits him, he could make a good run there and maybe the stars will align themselves if it is meant to be.

I understand your concerns. If federer doesn't play monte carlo he will have over 5 weeks and some days of rest. Even if he plays monte carlo he would still have 4 solid weeks of break plus some play on clay to gauge where his game is at. I feel two weeks after miami, then playing monte carlo on clay easy on body, followed by another 15-17 days off since they get first round byes in madrid would be a great mix provided he has no injuries and is feeling fully recovered from the virus.

I feel like 5 weeks and a few days off when he's playing at this level may throw him off. It's only a difference of 1 week in total break, he'll still have 16-17 days off after miami if he somehow made the final since he'll get a bye in Monte Carlo and even more days if he falls in the qf or sf of miami. He's also out of davis cup now so thats one less thing he would be actually doing during that block of time between miami and madrid that he no longer is doing so that would have been possiblly 2 best of 5 set matches and 1 best of 5 set doubles in 3 consecutive days that he had planned to play.

abraxas21
03-19-2012, 06:06 AM

is djokovic playing MC?

Luinir
03-19-2012, 06:21 AM
djokovic playing, yes. he even early committed.

fsoica
03-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Q. You played quite a lot during the month of February this year. Normally you don't do that. Do you think that has anything to do with the fact that now you're playing some very good tennis?
ROGER FEDERER: Sure, absolutely. I mean, I think in the past I have taken, you know, a lot of time off or not. I mean, a couple of weeks off after Australia, and then again you start again in Dubai and you go to Indian Wells.
For me it made a lot of sense in terms of traveling, because you should not underestimate how much traveling we do, how often we do play with jet lag. It's not always the healthiest thing in the world, so you also have to look at those things.
This year I decided I wanted to play a bit more, see how it goes. If things went great, you know, I knew I could be on a great run coming into Indian Wells and Miami. That's exactly what happened. I'm a bit surprised it's all gone that well.
I'm happy I have been holding up because it's been a lot of tennis and definitely looking forward to a break soon. But I will push for one more in Miami, and then I'll probably have to take a week off or so and then I will manage my schedule all the way through to the French Open.

Source:
http://www.ubitennis.com/sport/tennis/2012/03/19/683331-roger_federer_2012.shtml

So I think he is thinking to play Monte Carlo, which is 2 weeks after Miami.

Johnny Groove
03-19-2012, 12:47 PM
He really ought to play. Miami, then 2 weeks off, then Monte Carlo, then 2 more weeks, then Madrid :shrug:

Diprosalic
03-19-2012, 01:09 PM
nah man getting that number 2 and hope that the djoker eliminates nadal for him is his best chance at a second RG that he will ever have. actually it's his best chance ever. that's a once in a career opportunity for him and he should take it.

Purple Rainbow
03-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Federer is a master in planning his schedule, staying healthy and being prepared for the big tournaments.
Personally, I hope Federer plays, it's one of the very few important tournaments that he has yet to win (the others are Rome, Davis Cup and the Olympic Singles).
But if Federer skips MC, I'm sure he has good reasons to do so!

Looner
03-19-2012, 01:14 PM
IF he plays it means he's feeling good. If not he'll get proper rest and won't have to change surfaces from Miami and IW. The clay in Madrid is also blue this year :angel:.

samanosuke
03-19-2012, 01:21 PM
He won't play it and I think this is a good decision . He overplayed himself in first 3 month and a month or so of rest would allow him to be fresh for RG and Wimby . In opposite case he could be jaded for maybe the most important month of this season . Winning possible 180 points or so isn't worth of risking bigger goals

reery
03-19-2012, 01:27 PM
He won't play it and I think this is a good decision . He overplayed himself in first 3 month and a month or so of rest would allow him to be fresh for RG and Wimby . In opposite case he could be jaded for maybe the most important month of this season . Winning possible 180 points or so isn't worth of risking bigger goals

This.

nalbyfan
03-19-2012, 01:29 PM
It's not on his schedule anyway

Sombrerero loco
03-19-2012, 01:35 PM
he should skip it, nadal will own him there anyway

Mystique
03-19-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm happy I have been holding up because it's been a lot of tennis and definitely looking forward to a break soon. But I will push for one more in Miami, and then I'll probably have to take a week off or so and then I will manage my schedule all the way through to the French Open.[/I]

Source:
http://www.ubitennis.com/sport/tennis/2012/03/19/683331-roger_federer_2012.shtml

FFS dont be an idiot Roger. In 2010 you should have fcking played MC and you didnt and promptly lost that Number 1 ranking two weeks short of the record. Now in 2012 when you have had great start already and should take rest, dont be an idiot and overplay.
Okay, I know Roger will know best but he has made mistakes in the past like I mentioned above. There is no guarantee Nadal will land in Djokovic's half at RG (yes I agree its Fed's best chance for the title) even if he fall to Number 3. The key is to keep playing at a high level across big tournaments while taking the breaks that are vital for his body.

So, he may run the risk of breaking his good streak if takes a long break, but I think its a risk worth taking if he wants to be fit and strong for the summer stretch. Just my two cents.

JackPumpkinHead
03-19-2012, 03:27 PM
If he had cared about getting the #2 ranking so bad he should have played Shanghai last year

iriraz
03-19-2012, 03:38 PM
He said he will take a break of 1 week but that doesn`t mean he will play MC.He could take a break of 1 week without tennis at all and then starting training on clay.And if he plays MC it`s more or less like a practice session.
And the thread is a bit wrong:It should say:"Will Federer register for Monte Carlo?"Skipping is a wrong word used in a non mandatory event

Silvester
03-19-2012, 03:46 PM
I think he should play, even if he doesn't get far at least he defends some/all of his points but it depends how he feels. We cannot read his mind/body. He may appear 'fresh' however only Roger knows if there are any aches & pains in his body. Also things could change in Miami, he should decide after those results.

If he goes out early - then he may have too much rest before the next tournament, he won't have much match play for over a month so but he also loses some points and depending on results of Nadal/Novak the gap may widden a bit. Does he play MC then to get some match play in and gain some points?

If he gets to SF/Final/Win at Miami he gets more matches in, probably a bit more tired and could use the extra rest depending on how his body is feeling. He will be within a stone's throw of that #2 ranking, does he play MC to try and grab the #2? Or does he take a bit more rest because of good results at Miami.

AncicCilic
03-19-2012, 05:47 PM
For me it depends how he plays in Miami. Any defeat earlier then SF should make him play MC. With final/win he should not play it and with semi he should decide based on how fresh he feels. One of his strengths over the years was good tournament schedule so i'm sure he will make the right decision.

JediFed
03-19-2012, 05:49 PM
If he does well at Miami, why not? Gives him a chance to reach number one. Reaching the Finals here and SF at Monte Carlo, would get him half the distance to number 2, assuming that Nadal doesn't drop. If Nadal drops, he's number 2.

Dougie
03-19-2012, 05:55 PM
If he goes deep at Miami, he will probably skip MC, which I think is a wise decision. Thereīs plenty of clay left for him anyway, no need to overplay at this point of the season. Also, if he manages to gain some mental edge over Djokovic and Nadal at IW and Miami( as he seems to be doing), thereīs no need to go to MC to get his ass kicked, itīs still Nadalīs tournament.

Filo V.
03-19-2012, 06:09 PM
It's irrelevant whether or not any of us think he should skip it. Ultimately, it appears he won't play it, and if he doesn't feel as if it fits into his schedule, it's understandable. His big focus right now is on the French and especially Wimbledon. He's played a ton of tennis since the end of last year and a break is very well deserved and I think the correct decision for him.

FedvsNole
03-19-2012, 06:37 PM
If fed were to reach the finals at MIAMI he would still have 17-18 days of rest before the second round of monte carlo starts for his first match. Plus the travel is very little being a 1 hr. flight. He could take 10 days to rest/vacation after miami and provided he has no niggles or injury it'd be great for him to get back to playing on a really soft surface for the body. If anything he could use it as a pure practice session without any pressure but would keep him momentum and potential rust away.

All im saying is I feel if he doesn't play after miami till madrid it will be almost be a 37-38 days (nearly 6 weeks) of no match play. Only if he has got some niggles/injuries or such would that make sense. Otherwise, he's winning a lot and based on his interview saying he'll take a week off I think that answers that he's leaning towards playing. Plus coming on clay after the hard court season will be much much easier on his body.

The only advantage of not playing Monte carlo is having almost a 6 week block. He could get some rest, and have one of those 3-4 week training blocks with pagnani and the new fitness guy he added to his team to help his endurance.

If i were fed and i made a deep run in miami and came out injury free and 100% healthy, i'd take 7-10 days off and go on vacation. Come back do light training and use monte carlo as a win win situation with no expectation other than some play practice on dirt. Then take a few days off after that and do some conditioning for the 2 weeks before madrid. I feel that is what he'll do.

Mystique
03-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Its not like he is going to sit on his ass at home and do nothing during the whole month. He will be practising from mid-April at the latest anyway. But then again, as you say MC is so close in proximity and he may end up going there treating it as a glorified practice tournament.
But at the end of it all, Federer knows best I hope he makes the best decision :)

Mr. Oracle
03-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Forget that he's only 800 points away from nadal for the #2 seed which could potentially play out with nadal being in nole's half at RG 2012.
He's been playing great tennis so far. Miami will end on 3-30 and roger will be out of action till 5-7 when madrid starts. He's got such great momentum he may lose his form by then.

Monte Carlo starts 2 weeks after miami ends. This Will allow fed to get a little bit of relaxation ( 2 weeks) and then as short of travel aside from playing in basel. It's only 300 miles from basel, switzerland so a 1 hour flight for fed. It's on clay which should be much easier on the body and a chance for fed to get some clay play started. Its only 5 matches at most compared to 6 at indian wells/miami and the tournament ends by 4-22 which would give fed another 2 weeks off post monte carlo for conditioning/rest while keeping him match tough and letting him know where his clay game is at and what needs work before madrid starts 5-7.

Otherwise if federer skips monte carlo he will have a full 5 weeks off, lose 180 points, and won't be back till madrid where he is defending the 360 points for reaching semis last year. I say if he's injury free he should play bc the older you get you wanna avoid long breaks if your lucky to be injury free to keep your game going strong.

Fed AIN'T making #2 by RG. You can quote me on that.

fasnik
03-19-2012, 09:20 PM
So you don't think it's a likely scenario that Roger wins Miami and Nadal loses in the semis? Nice.

Roamed
03-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Q. You played quite a lot during the month of February this year. Normally you don't do that. Do you think that has anything to do with the fact that now you're playing some very good tennis?
ROGER FEDERER: Sure, absolutely. I mean, I think in the past I have taken, you know, a lot of time off or not. I mean, a couple of weeks off after Australia, and then again you start again in Dubai and you go to Indian Wells.
For me it made a lot of sense in terms of traveling, because you should not underestimate how much traveling we do, how often we do play with jet lag. It's not always the healthiest thing in the world, so you also have to look at those things.
This year I decided I wanted to play a bit more, see how it goes. If things went great, you know, I knew I could be on a great run coming into Indian Wells and Miami. That's exactly what happened. I'm a bit surprised it's all gone that well.
I'm happy I have been holding up because it's been a lot of tennis and definitely looking forward to a break soon. But I will push for one more in Miami, and then I'll probably have to take a week off or so and then I will manage my schedule all the way through to the French Open.

Source:

Good spot in the wording, however tbh this might not mean anyhing - he could be saying 'I'll take a week off or so off for vacation, then a couple of weeks for practice, then play' we can't really tell. I think I saw him say something about still considering whether to play MC though so you could definitely be right. I personally voted for 'wait and see how he does in Miami' :)

martinatreue
03-19-2012, 11:32 PM
My gut instinct is that he should not play there... but if he feels eager and fresh then maybe. Kind of have to wait and see basically.

stewietennis
03-20-2012, 12:21 AM
Even if Roger gets the #2 ranking, there's still a 50/50 chance that Nadal will end up in his half of the draw at RG. Is that a big enough 'benefit' considering the risk involved in playing too much where he has to conserve enough energy towards the tail end of the season for the Olympics?

FedvsNole
03-20-2012, 01:20 AM
Even if Roger gets the #2 ranking, there's still a 50/50 chance that Nadal will end up in his half of the draw at RG. Is that a big enough 'benefit' considering the risk involved in playing too much where he has to conserve enough energy towards the tail end of the season for the Olympics?

Well consider the alternate. Roger stays number 3 and is in novak's draw. He now must get through both novak and nadal to win it. If he is number 3 and is placed into nadal half he's not getting past the semi. At least this way if nadal goes into nole's half they will have an epic match lasting prolly late evenign friday so whoever comes out of that most likely nole would be fed's best shot to win it. even if nadal survived fed would have a better chance than if he played him in the semi.

Federer_28
03-20-2012, 01:22 AM
All depends how far gets in Miami .
If he reaches the final I say he wont play MC.

The best thing that could happen to Fed here is if he meets Murray in the final .

If he gets less than a SF I expect him to play in MC .

thrust
03-20-2012, 01:52 AM

Rafa has lots of points to defend before RG. He better play a lot better than he did at IW, or Roger could overtake him at #2.

stewietennis
03-20-2012, 02:36 AM
Well consider the alternate. Roger stays number 3 and is in novak's draw. He now must get through both novak and nadal to win it. If he is number 3 and is placed into nadal half he's not getting past the semi. At least this way if nadal goes into nole's half they will have an epic match lasting prolly late evenign friday so whoever comes out of that most likely nole would be fed's best shot to win it. even if nadal survived fed would have a better chance than if he played him in the semi.

True, the alternative requires him to have to likely play Nadal & Novak in RG. However if Federer's overriding goal is to break Sampras' Weeks at #1 record, wouldn't it be better for him to cruise through the clay season then make a hard push during Wimbledon and the HC season (including the Olympics)? Roger has a chance of beating Rafa on clay but would it be at the expense of energy better spent later in the season? But if Federer's overriding goal is to win the French, then he should play MC to try and get a better seeding for the FO.

Corey Feldman
03-20-2012, 02:44 AM
depends how he does in Miami has a big say in it

M.Carlo might not be mandatory but Masters 1000 points cant be sniffed at - even semi final points are 360

to only be less than 1000 points behind Nadal considering how much more Nadal defends from here on means a huge chance to demote Nadal to #3 for RG/Wimbledon... how sweet would he like to potentialy see Nadal and Nole hammer each other in semi finals while he gets Muzza in his half

if he could pass Nadal after Monte Carlo - even better... then he could see them kill each other in Roma and Madrid semi finals

add to it that he might be chasing Nole for #1 (tho he clearly needs to win slams to catch Nole)

Silvester
03-20-2012, 02:46 AM
Rafa has lots of points to defend before RG. He better play a lot better than he did at IW, or Roger could overtake him at #2.

He could actually gain on last years results...by Rafa standards, not cleaning up a bunch of clay titles is sub-par so if no one stops him again like last year then i might get some of those titles that he didn't last year.

FedvsNole
03-20-2012, 02:59 AM
Once again this is clay not hard court we're talking about. So much easier to play on then the hard courts. We're not talking about federer making the choice of getting rest and not getting rest and going into roland garros.

I repeat he will have 4 WEEKS of REST even if he plays monte carlo which doesn't start 2nd round matches 16-17 days after the final of MIAMI.

Travel and jet lag are a bitch. Monte carlo is only 300 miles from basel, switzerland so we're talking about a 45 minute flight in his jet without changing time zones to play on the softest surface for the body.

He'll get 2 weeks+ of rest before monte carlo more like 16-17 days. And then another two weeks plus rest if he were to play the final in monte carlo he would still get 16-17 days off before madrid started their 2nd round matches. Like I said if he's got injuries that's a no brainer to skip. But if he's healthy it would be stupid to take 6 weeks off right now when you have nole playing too. Nole winning the event would make nadal lose 400 points. If roger were to get to the semis he'd gain 200 points roughly and would be +600 points closer to nadal who he trails by just 800 ish points.

Oh and monte carlo only plays 5 matches instead of 6 like indian wells/miami. So fed can play his 4 dumb matches get almost 200 points more than last year and enjoy watching nadal lose to nole and dropping 400 points himself.

NO BRAINER

masterclass
03-22-2012, 11:00 AM

It's irrelevant whether or not any of us think he should skip it. Ultimately, it appears he won't play it, and if he doesn't feel as if it fits into his schedule, it's understandable. His big focus right now is on the French and especially Wimbledon. He's played a ton of tennis since the end of last year and a break is very well deserved and I think the correct decision for him.

These ^^ and others in the same line. I would be shocked if he entered it.

He didn't schedule it. Obviously he felt that it was the 1 masters he could miss with only 180 points to lose and it being the 1st clay masters, and having almost no chance to win there. This is indisputably Nadal's tournament to win. Mr. Federer has played a pretty full 2012 tournament schedule so far, and even if he only gets to the semi in Miami, he has probably surpassed his own expectations for the pre-clay season and will take a well-deserved break.

He can take the month off from tournament play and prepare for Madrid at a nice relaxed pace, which is how he appears to like things these days. This break will stand him in good stead in the long term as he prepares his assault on grass. Wimbledon and the Olympics at Wimbledon are his highest priority of the year, certainly not Monte-Carlo, or even #1 yet. #1 comes into play for him, if and when he wins a major, even if theoretically possible to do so without one.

We pundits sometimes tend to look too far ahead, estimating and calculating points needed and which tournaments can a player gain here or there enough to advance his position in the rankings. Nothing wrong with that for us, it's fun and gives us something to talk about. However, Federer and most any player, only seriously focuses on the big picture when preparing the schedule for the year. After that, he rightly turns his serious focus on his short term plan, and his next tournament. Once in the tournament, the next match, etc.

Respectfully,
masterclass

OnlyOneGOAT
03-22-2012, 04:23 PM
If he has an early exit in Miami then he definitely will play, but that wasn't the question.

If he makes the semi's or better I don't see it happening. The one thing that the OP said that could make Roger play is that he may not want to lose the momentum that he's on. Fed is as cerebral as they get on and off the court so he'll know if the break will affect him negatively or not.

At the end of the day, he SHOULD play the event. He has limited points to defend there and having 6 weeks off won't be good for him. I think he'll play but if he doesn't we know that he's really, really physically worn out.

Johnny Iznrr
03-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Roger has put himself in a position where if he wins a slam he'll get to #1. That's all you can ask, his priority should be on getting that slam now. If he got #1 in Wozniacki style he wouldn't deserve it, and I'm sure he doesn't really care about the rankings considering he fell 1 week short of Sampras's record because of poor scheduling and lack of effort in smaller tournaments.

Mystique
03-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Roger has put himself in a position where if he wins a slam he'll get to #1. That's all you can ask, his priority should be on getting that slam now. If he got #1 in Wozniacki style he wouldn't deserve it, and I'm sure he doesn't really care about the rankings considering he fell 1 week short of Sampras's record because of poor scheduling and lack of effort in smaller tournaments.

Completely disagree.
Please donot compare Federer and Wozniacki
There is nothing Roger Federer has achieved that he hasnt deserved. Federer himself will want to win a slam and get to number 1 if it comes to that but if it happens without, he is not going to stay there long without one. And to those who say he would be like Pushniacki then - 16 GRAND SLAMS.

henke007
03-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Resterer to play

FedvsNole
03-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Resterer to play

What source is that from. This is what I found about an hour ago.

http://www.iol.co.za/sport/tennis/federer-to-skip-monte-carlo-masters-1.1261970

FedvsNole
03-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Monte carlo is only 5 matches since the top players get byes. Plus lubicic's retiring so fed might go there for respect or at least will be another reason to see off his good friend. 1 hr. flight from basel doesn't hurt.

All fed has to do is win 3 matches and lose to nole. Which would net him +200 points roughly. Then let nole beat nadal who will lose 400 points and federer is 600 points closer to nadal right there I would think. This is the most probable outcome provieded fed plays.

Worst scenerio: Fed only wins 2 matches in monte carlo, defends his points, and rafa defends title. No points for anyone and fed barely broke a sweat but got some practice on clay and will have 3 weeks till madrid.

Most probablle scenerio: Fed wins 3 matches and loses to nole/rafa in semis, gains about 200 points, and nole beats rafa who loses 400 points. This will gain federer anywhere from 200 if nole loses to rafa to possible 600 if nole bats rafa. At this point, being the first clay tournament rafa won't be at his best and nole has the huge mental edge this would lead to fed gaining 600 points on nadal.

Dream scenerio #1: Roger in rafa half. Fed beats rafa in semi and loses to nole. This nets fed about 950 points on rafa.
Dream scenerio #2: Roger in rafa half. Beats rafa in semis, nole loses before finals, or loses to fed in final. Fed gains +1500 points on rafa.

I think fed will play seeing that there's a damn good chance fed makes the semis in either rafa or nole half and obviously loses that match. But being rafa's first tourney on clay and having to face nole who has owned him on every surface not even losing even a set even after 3 hr with murray in rome and not dropping a set in madrid WILL LIKELY WIN AGAINST NADAL.

emotion
03-22-2012, 06:29 PM
600 points wouldn't necessarily be gaining, it could be passing. Actually, Federer could be #2 already

Federer in 2
03-22-2012, 06:29 PM
What source is that from. This is what I found about an hour ago.

http://www.iol.co.za/sport/tennis/federer-to-skip-monte-carlo-masters-1.1261970

He didn't make a statement that he won't play. It just says he is not planning on it YET. Nothing we didn't know already.

drazyc
03-22-2012, 06:35 PM
He has to listen to his body. It is impossible for any of us to answer whether he should play or not. If he is physically ok after Miami, and has a good Miami tournament (win or final), he should maybe try to play MC. Then he may have a decent shot at number 1.

FedvsNole
03-22-2012, 06:44 PM
600 points wouldn't necessarily be gaining, it could be passing. Actually, Federer could be #2 already

Once he gets number 2 he really needs to build on it which may happen without him doing anything. By the time madrid rolls around, nadal could be in djokovic half for either or both madrid and rome semis and could easily lose 500 points while all federer has to do is defend semis in madrid and almost nothing in rome. Not having to go through nole, rafa in madrid could easily get fed to the fianls of rome and madrid.

All this is important because when wimbledon does rankings it adds the grass court results of the past 2 years. For nadal thats something like 1200+1500 + queens which is like 2800. Fed has 360+270+ halle which is like 700 ish points so 2800-700. Unless fed is 2100 points higher than nadal by wimbledon fed will drop to number 3 with the way wimbledon ranks. While that seems like a lot lets not forget if nadal slips to number 3 before french ( very likely) and draws nole and loses to nole in the semis thats a 1300 point drop right there so should be interesting to see what happens.

FedvsNole
03-22-2012, 06:47 PM
He has to listen to his body. It is impossible for any of us to answer whether he should play or not. If he is physically ok after Miami, and has a good Miami tournament (win or final), he should maybe try to play MC. Then he may have a decent shot at number 1.

The miami final is 4/1. Even if he got that far then the first match fed would play would be a second round match in monte carlo which would start on 4/18. Unless he's injured that should be a good rest of 17 days off and playing on soft clay makes it much easier me thinks. It also doesn't hurt that he barely has to travel 1 hour from switzerland to get there.

nsidhan
03-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Fed should play Monte Carlo. More Federer matches on TV, the better ;).

Corey Feldman
03-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Nadal can only gain points from 2 matches - winning finals of Roma and Madrid

OnlyOneGOAT
03-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Federer being #2 is no guarantee though. Nadal has buckets and buckets of points to defend but Roger has to make a deep run at Miami and Madrid. But last years terrible clay court season (minus RG) was probably not an indicator of how good he is on the surface.

Johnny Iznrr
03-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Nadal is in the worst situation. He made a bunch of finals so he has loads of points to defend but since he lost them all he gained no confidence to defend them. If Rafa was smart he would play some smaller events, maybe even go to South America to get some confidence the way Federer has in Rotterdam.

JurajCrane
03-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Some Fedfans should really start thinking here ... the guy has played full schedule in Rotterdam, then week recovery and then full schedule in Dubai, full schedule in Indian Wells and who knows whatīs gonna happen in Miami.

Federer hasnīt played this much from 2007 I think. And after tough tournaments in Madrid, Rome and Paris he will immmideately switch to grass to play Halle(not sure), Wimbledon and after couple of weeks Olympics. And even it is not so much for you, count there Toronto+Cincinnati right after Olympics. Then US Open. I really cannot see any big break for him, only after US Open !

Thatīs what I am talking about and thatīs why he shoudlnīt play Monte Carlo but Shanghai instead of it, where he defends NOTHING and itīs on hard.

He can have really nice shot in Shanghai and if he plays it, he will probably lost his MC points, so ... ?

You just want points, points, points and see super-duper-Rogie on TV ? Hilarious. Let Djokovic and Nadal play for that freaking title, who cares ?

FedvsNole
03-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Federer being #2 is no guarantee though. Nadal has buckets and buckets of points to defend but Roger has to make a deep run at Miami and Madrid. But last years terrible clay court season (minus RG) was probably not an indicator of how good he is on the surface.

Fed was pretty beat up in rome. They interviewed him at Roland garros and he was talking about how it was nice to lose early cause he got some much needed rest since he was dealing with some "niggles" at the time. So I think his play in rome was due to being exhausted and perhaps struggling with some other stuff at the time. You say how well he played at the french so the rest really played out well for him since he got like 10-12 days.

Some Fedfans should really start thinking here ... the guy has played full schedule in Rotterdam, then week recovery and then full schedule in Dubai, full schedule in Indian Wells and who knows whatīs gonna happen in Miami.

Federer hasnīt played this much from 2007 I think. And after tough tournaments in Madrid, Rome and Paris he will immmideately switch to grass to play Halle(not sure), Wimbledon and after couple of weeks Olympics. And even it is not so much for you, count there Toronto+Cincinnati right after Olympics. Then US Open. I really cannot see any big break for him, only after US Open !

Thatīs what I am talking about and thatīs why he shoudlnīt play Monte Carlo but Shanghai instead of it, where he defends NOTHING and itīs on hard.

He can have really nice shot in Shanghai and if he plays it, he will probably lost his MC points, so ... ?

You just want points, points, points and see super-duper-Rogie on TV ? Hilarious. Let Djokovic and Nadal play for that freaking title, who cares ?

Bear in mind everything im saying is with the assumption that fed is 100% post miami and not struggling with any niggles/injuries otherwise he should skip. Only if he is fit post miami should he even consider monte carlo. Also remember he would be playing davis cup post miami had his team won against usa.

Even if fed were to make the finals in miami, he'd get 18 days off roughly before his first match at monte carlo which is on a clay court and aside from basel probably the closet tournemnt he plays. Keep in mind jet lag and travel are exhausting as well. Not having to change time zones and being a 45 minute flight from switzerland is i think why he's thinking about it. Otherwise he'll have 6 weeks off if he skips monte carlo which he may not want because he has such great rhythm, confidence, and momentum that barring injury may not be the best decision.

I think fed is waiting to see how miami goes and how he feels before he makes a decision. Obviously, he knows best but also keep in mind that there seems to be almost a week more break this year between the two tournaments as fed last year made the semis on 4/2 in miami and was playing monte carlo on 4/11. He's getting twice the amount of days off he did last year and other than the 4 matches he played in rotterdam still had a pretty similar schedule last year. He'll likely skip paris and play shanghai in my opinion. Also if he goes deep in the olympics he'll skip rogers cup since he has only like 90 points to defend there.

Actually, if i were federer i would play monte carlo and if i got drawn with nole I would play my 3 matches, withdraw from my nole match, and then let a fresh nole destroy nadal which would net fed another 600 or so points on nadal. Tactically that would be perfect. Also realize there is another 17-18 days break between the monte carlo final and the second round madrid matches.

MatchFederer
03-22-2012, 10:53 PM
http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/tennis/11767948/__Federer_slaat_Monte_Carlo_over__.html

DorianGray7
03-22-2012, 11:03 PM
If Roger wins Miami he needs to keep up the momentum.

Roger must play, this is this last chance to possible make a run at the No. 1 ranking for the very last time.

A_Skywalker
03-22-2012, 11:07 PM
What n1 do you want, he doesnt even make slam finals anymore.
When he wins a slam then he can pretend to be n1 competitor.

FedvsNole
03-22-2012, 11:08 PM
http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/tennis/11767948/__Federer_slaat_Monte_Carlo_over__.html

Is this confirmation that he is playing?

viruzzz
03-22-2012, 11:14 PM

Yes. I used google translator and got:
"""Roger Federer play tennis next month on the clay courts of Monte Carlo. The former world number one from Switzerland on Thursday announced."""

I'm happy. It would be great for his ranking and his clay-training before RG.

masterclass
03-22-2012, 11:17 PM

Don't think so Mr. FedvsNole. I may be wrong in my translation, but it says niet... so not playing.. I think this is basically a rehash of the earlier English source given below.
http://www.iol.co.za/sport/tennis/fe...ters-1.1261970

Respectfully,
masterclass

masterclass
03-22-2012, 11:19 PM
"""Roger Federer play tennis next month on the clay courts of Monte Carlo. The former world number one from Switzerland on Thursday announced."""

Hi Mr. viruzzz,

Have to be careful with google translate, sometimes it doesn't get everything right.

I'd wait till something happened on the monte-carlo website. You can be sure they will announce as soon as something would happen like that.

Respectfully,
masterclass

FedvsNole
03-22-2012, 11:19 PM

I did the same but am always weary that one word wrong changes the whole thing's meaning. Im an idiot so it took me a while to figure out it was dutch I thought it was german what the hell do i know.

This is terrific news. This must mean fed's feeling great physically. He could have waited another week before announcing this but perhaps he wouldn't have got the number 3 seed I dunno.

solowyn
03-22-2012, 11:20 PM

The google translate is a bit confused, it actually means he confirms he plans to skip for now :lol:

slaat over = overslaan = skip

viruzzz
03-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Sad news then. But end of the debate.
And seriously, fuck google.

mark73
03-22-2012, 11:25 PM
Don't think so Mr. FedvsNole. I may be wrong in my translation, but it says niet... so not playing.. I think this is basically a rehash of the earlier English source given below.
http://www.iol.co.za/sport/tennis/fe...ters-1.1261970

Respectfully,
masterclass

yes, if you use the yahoo translator it says he is not playing. Niet does mean not according to both translators.

mark73
03-22-2012, 11:27 PM
I did the same but am always weary that one word wrong changes the whole thing's meaning. Im an idiot so it took me a while to figure out it was dutch I thought it was german what the hell do i know.

This is terrific news. This must mean fed's feeling great physically. He could have waited another week before announcing this but perhaps he wouldn't have got the number 3 seed I dunno.

You confused german with dutch??? :eek::cool:

alter ego
03-22-2012, 11:29 PM
Where's a dutch when you need one?

masterclass
03-22-2012, 11:29 PM
The google translate is a bit confused, it actually means he confirms he plans to skip for now :lol:

slaat over = overslaan = skip

Precisely. :):yeah:

Respectfully,
masterclass

masterclass
03-22-2012, 11:34 PM
This might generate some controversy :devil:,
If the tournament really wants him, do you think a big appearance fee offer would make a difference?

I say no...

Respectfully,
masterclass

samanosuke
03-22-2012, 11:42 PM
This might generate some controversy :devil:,
If the tournament really wants him, do you think a big appearance fee offer would make a difference?

I say no...

Respectfully,
masterclass

masters 1000 tournaments don't give appearance fee

masterclass
03-22-2012, 11:48 PM
masters 1000 tournaments don't give appearance fee

1000 points to Mr. Samanosuke ;)

Respectfully,
masterclass

JurajCrane
03-23-2012, 01:09 AM
You are saying he has got a momentum, I say he has to have momentum at Wimbledon, Olympics and US Open :)

Not at Monte-Carlo at all.

fast_clay
03-23-2012, 02:32 AM
he shouldn't skip it...

he should dominate it...

Looner
03-23-2012, 02:37 AM
More than playing MC, Fed needs Novak to play and beat RN. That's another 400 pts lost :D.

FedvsNole
03-23-2012, 03:09 AM
More than playing MC, Fed needs Novak to play and beat RN. That's another 400 pts lost :D.

I know it would really cut the deficit of 800 right now. But if he skips and novak wins over nadal it will only be a 220 point effect since fed would lose 180 from not defending his points from last year. If he gets to the semis he'll gain almost 200 for the net effect of 600. I bet he changes his mind.

I wonder if he accepts a wild card if he still gets that first round bye. He's not gonna wanna play more matches than he has too.

Looner
03-23-2012, 03:13 AM
I'm fine with him skipping MC if RN chooses to skip Europe's blue alternative of IW and Miami - Madrid. Plus he needs the rest. I prefer to get exhausted after clinching that No.1 after Wimbledon (or ideally after winning the Olympics final).

Corey Feldman
03-23-2012, 03:43 AM
I'm fine with him skipping MC if RN chooses to skip Europe's blue alternative of IW and Miami - Madrid. Plus he needs the rest. I prefer to get exhausted after clinching that No.1 after Wimbledon (or ideally after winning the Olympics final).
but he might have a better chance winning Wimbledon if Nole and Nadal are not in his side of the draw as he's #2 seed

he should try and make every point he can from here till French Open, thats why its risky to not play MC, then again he might make #2 after this event in Miami but i doubt that

Corey Feldman
03-23-2012, 03:58 AM
said it before in this thread, the sooner Fed gets to #2 the faster impact he can make

he can make Nole/Nadal's clay season harder if say Nadal goes down to 3 then gets drawn in Nole's half in Madrid/Rome... not only does it make Fed's half better but he knows 1 of them is getting blown out in at least SF - not NoleDal finals every week like last year went, so it has many advantages, would probably gaurentee him to keep #2 seed for RG/Wimb and US Open... what a diff if you only need to beat one of them and not 2 of them to win a GS.

of course Nadull could still draw Fed in the semis even with him at #3, but that becomes luck of the draw for him

Chirag
03-23-2012, 04:02 AM
I think he is waiting on how he performs here .

Saberq
03-23-2012, 04:07 AM
Fedfans still think he will reach number 2.....sad really to see that...Clay season is coming people.......Rafael Nadal's time

Corey Feldman
03-23-2012, 04:09 AM
Fedfans still think he will reach number 2.....sad really to see that...Clay season is coming people.......Rafael Nadal's timeNadull can still be passed even if he's winning titles again - Fed can gain more points than him

just want to see Nadull v Nole in RG semi final, that would be great

Looner
03-23-2012, 04:18 AM
What people fail to consider is the Wimbledon ranking effect. Fed needs to completely ace the next two-three months, including RG, to stand any chance of getting the #2 seed at Wimbey. RN has a huge lead in terms of grass points as strange as that sounds - 2000x.75 + 1200 at least. I am not even counting smaller events. Feds only has QF at Wimbey in both 2010 and 2011.

FedvsNole
03-23-2012, 04:39 AM
What people fail to consider is the Wimbledon ranking effect. Fed needs to completely ace the next two-three months, including RG, to stand any chance of getting the #2 seed at Wimbey. RN has a huge lead in terms of grass points as strange as that sounds - 2000x.75 + 1200 at least. I am not even counting smaller events. Feds only has QF at Wimbey in both 2010 and 2011.

its roughly 2800 points. 100% of 2011 points = 1200. 75% of 2010 points = 1500. Roger has something like 720 grass points accumulated. So rafa has a 2100 point lead.

Like I said lets see what happens in monte carlo. Rafa can not gain anything and only lose. If nole gets him there that'll be 8-0 -400 points for nadal. If rafa doens't win roland garros and loses to nole thats -800 points gone for rafa. If it happens in a semi thats -1300 for rafa. Too much shit can happen.

Realistically, this was a laughable discussion a few months ago about fed getting number 2 or number 1.At least now its not as as laughable.

Lets see what goes down in miami first.

Johnny Groove
03-27-2012, 03:02 AM
Surely he has to play Monte Carlo now.

Today is March 26. Madrid doesn't start until May 7. Probably he'll play May 9, the Wednesday start, so unless he plays Monte Carlo, he won't play a match in 44 days :eek:

hipolymer
03-27-2012, 03:05 AM
He'll probably play MC but I think he was going to play it regardless of the outcome here.

Johnny Iznrr
03-27-2012, 03:08 AM
Fed can't even make it through 1 three set match without getting tired. Could barely get a serve in by the end of today's match. Starting to think he needs to pull a Nadal and fake an injury for the clay season, withdraw from any matches he's not up to, and save his energy for RG/W.

Mystique
03-27-2012, 03:10 AM
I said in my first post here that Fed should skip Monte Carlo if he reached the Qtrs at least of Miami. Well, as we know he nicely effed up today so yes, he just has to play Monte Carlo now. He basically gets one extra week off now. 7 weeks b/w two tournaments? That will be shooting one's own feet.

Mystique
03-27-2012, 03:13 AM
Fed can't even make it through 1 three set match without getting tired. Could barely get a serve in by the end of today's match. Starting to think he needs to pull a Nadal and fake an injury for the clay season, withdraw from any matches he's not up to, and save his energy for RG/W.

Do you realise how much tennis this 30 year old guy has played in the last two months?:o Add to this the fact that he was sick and had to pull through two three setters against younger opponents b2b on his way to the IW title. That with the kind of mileage on his body already.

Federer wasnt looking tired really, it just didnt click for him today.

BroTree123
03-27-2012, 03:14 AM
Simon Reed thinks Federer can go all the way in MC :bowdown:.

FedvsNole
03-27-2012, 04:41 AM
Do you realise how much tennis this 30 year old guy has played in the last two months?:o Add to this the fact that he was sick and had to pull through two three setters against younger opponents b2b on his way to the IW title. That with the kind of mileage on his body already.

Federer wasnt looking tired really, it just didnt click for him today.

Fed said he felt flat and lethargic today in the presser seen for 1 minute on tennis channel. He said its probably from all the matches he's played but he tried to get himself going but roddick did very well in the 3rd set getting out of 0-40 and going from there.

Mystique
03-27-2012, 04:47 AM
Fed said he felt flat and lethargic today in the presser seen for 1 minute on tennis channel. He said its probably from all the matches he's played but he tried to get himself going but roddick did very well in the 3rd set getting out of 0-40 and going from there.

Yeah. But say that in MTF and people will say you are making excuses.
I dont think Fed believes he lost because he was tired either. Maybe, didnt feel at his best, but Feds is a strong guy, has great endurance and has often won matches when coming out flat. Just wasnt meant to be today

I just hope this loss doesnt get him down. Waiting for the presser. Should reveal something about how he is physically and what he intends to do about MC

rocketassist
03-27-2012, 05:28 AM
Absolutely not now.

hipolymer
03-27-2012, 05:32 AM
Simon Reed thinks Federer can go all the way in MC :bowdown:.

Trying to jinx a jinx...Genius.

FedvsNole
03-27-2012, 05:37 AM
Let's say he decides to play monte carlo. Can he still get his seeding of number 3? I dont get why he has to take a wild card unless he were to wait till the very end to decide. Or have the slots already been filled for seeded players already 3 weeks away?

GSMnadal
03-27-2012, 05:48 AM
He should skip it if Roddick plays there, doesn't want to get another beatdown from his master

OnlyOneGOAT
03-27-2012, 05:56 AM
He should skip it if Roddick plays there, doesn't want to get another beatdown from his master

Roddick never ever plays MC.

OnlyOneGOAT
03-27-2012, 05:58 AM
He'll play MC now. Theres no way he waits till Madrid to play his next tournament. I'm sure he'll be out of Miami and back in Switzerland by Saturday at the latest. Plenty of time to get rested to play MC.

He gave up points here but he can get them back and then some at MC.

But again, it all comes down to whether or not Fed has the motivation to play these tournies. Seems he felt like he needed some competitive action to get his confidence up which is why he played Rotterdam. Two months later, he might not feel the same motivation.

If Roger skips MC, I think its obvious that the slightest "Do I really want to continue this ridiculous grind" will sneak in. Not saying Roger is anywhere near retiring, but maybe his schedule will be even lighter from here on out.

vamosinator
03-27-2012, 06:11 AM
Federer should watch out. He is going to slip in the rankings if he isn't fresh enough to defend the indoor points at the end of the year. He can't rely on DjokoNadal to be invisible after the US Open every year. Murray also quite capable of finishing strong. And now there is Isner also on the radar, and of course Tsonga.

OnlyOneGOAT
03-27-2012, 06:13 AM
Federer should watch out. He is going to slip in the rankings if he isn't fresh enough to defend the indoor points at the end of the year.

He'll be fine for that. Theres plenty of down time after the USO. Thats why even Nadal plays events like Tokyo and Bangkok. That really isn't whats in question, its if he'll have enough steam going into RG and Wimbledon.

GSMnadal
03-27-2012, 06:28 AM
Roddick never ever plays MC.

He should. With his new regained confidence it's the easiest 1000 points Roddick 2.0 will ever earn

Kat_YYZ
03-27-2012, 06:33 AM
He'll play MC now. Theres no way he waits till Madrid to play his next tournament. I'm sure he'll be out of Miami and back in Switzerland by Saturday at the latest. Plenty of time to get rested to play MC.

He gave up points here but he can get them back and then some at MC.

But again, it all comes down to whether or not Fed has the motivation to play these tournies. Seems he felt like he needed some competitive action to get his confidence up which is why he played Rotterdam. Two months later, he might not feel the same motivation.

If Roger skips MC, I think its obvious that the slightest "Do I really want to continue this ridiculous grind" will sneak in. Not saying Roger is anywhere near retiring, but maybe his schedule will be even lighter from here on out.

Honestly, it really doesn't do Roger or his fans any credit to go with the "Fed doesn't care about this tournament" crap every time he loses :shrug: (As it doesn't do credit to other players & their fans when they do it.)

So what, then... Roger 'cared' more about Rotterdam 500 than Miami 1000? He said he enjoyed this stretch of being busier and playing more tournaments. He doesn't just suddenly realize after 12 years on the tour that it's a grind; he doesn't just suddenly 'not care'.

Look, he ran out of steam after a long stretch and got caught by a Roddick that was serving well for most of the match and played a great third set. Last year even Djokovic had breaks: he didn't play 2 tournaments in February, he played only Dubai. And then he didn't play Monte Carlo, or else maybe his winning streak would've ended sooner.

OnlyOneGOAT
03-27-2012, 07:01 AM
Honestly, it really doesn't do Roger or his fans any credit to go with the "Fed doesn't care about this tournament" crap every time he loses :shrug: (As it doesn't do credit to other players & their fans when they do it.)

So what, then... Roger 'cared' more about Rotterdam 500 than Miami 1000? He said he enjoyed this stretch of being busier and playing more tournaments. He doesn't just suddenly realize after 12 years on the tour that it's a grind; he doesn't just suddenly 'not care'.

Look, he ran out of steam after a long stretch and got caught by a Roddick that was serving well for most of the match and played a great third set. Last year even Djokovic had breaks: he didn't play 2 tournaments in February, he played only Dubai. And then he didn't play Monte Carlo, or else maybe his winning streak would've ended sooner.

Huh? I never blamed his loss on this alone. I blamed the loss on mental fatigue. Roger wasn't moving his feet, missing shots he hits in his sleep. Thats a direct by product of being tired. I never said Roger didn't care about winning today. Of course he wanted to win. You think he wants to lose to Roddick?

The point I'm making is that Federer's reaction after winning IW was something to be concerned about. He didn't seem excited at all. He was much more excited to beat Muzza in Dubai and even JMDP in Rotterdam. That definitely is cause for concern.

Obviously, Federer lost today because something wasn't right. All credit to Roddick, he played well today. That doesn't change the fact that this is the 24th time they've played and this is only his 3rd win over Roger. I'm sure he's played well before too, but win someone has beaten someone 21 out of 24 times and they lose you have to think that the guy who's dominated the series wasn't right, and Roger definitely wasn't right today.

hilluis
03-27-2012, 07:14 AM
"The point I'm making is that Federer's reaction after winning IW was something to be concerned about."

Remember that Roger beat an American player in the US. He is not going to celebrate wildy, he was being respectful.

OnlyOneGOAT
03-27-2012, 07:21 AM
"The point I'm making is that Federer's reaction after winning IW was something to be concerned about."

Remember that Roger beat an American player in the US. He is not going to celebrate wildy, he was being respectful.

That has nothing to do with it. He wasn't excited after beating Rafa in the semi either.

Kat_YYZ
03-27-2012, 07:34 AM
I disagree with your view on his celebration. Of course, neither of us can read his mind so we are just guessing based on our interpretations of his level of excitement/happiness. So my interpretation is no better (or worse) than yours. But I disagree. :shrug:

OnlyOneGOAT
03-27-2012, 07:40 AM
I disagree with your view on his celebration. Of course, neither of us can read his mind so we are just guessing based on our interpretations of his level of excitement/happiness. So my interpretation is no better (or worse) than yours. But I disagree. :shrug:

Did you see his reaction after Rotterdam and Dubai compared to his reaction after beating Nadal and Isner? He beat his biggest rival and won a bigger event but had more excitement during the first two wins. That = mental fatigue. Today, Roger didn't want to be out there. Thats understandable for a man who's accomplished everything in the sport and may just be tired of grinding another tournament which is essentially worthless to his only remaining goals in the sport.

OnlyOneGOAT
03-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Did you see his reaction after Rotterdam and Dubai compared to his reaction after beating Nadal and Isner? He beat his biggest rival and won a bigger event but had more excitement during the first two wins. That = mental fatigue. Today, Roger didn't want to be out there. Thats understandable for a man who's accomplished everything in the sport and may just be tired of grinding another tournament which is essentially worthless to his only remaining goals in the sport.

Honestly the same could be said for Nadal. What are these guys going to accomplish by winning these events. Do you ever hear about the all time race between Roger and Rafa for AMS1000 titles even though its really competitive (Rafa and Roget both have 19 which ties for the all time lead).

At the end of the day, these guys have 2 goals, maybe 3 in Rafa's case. Getting back to number 1, winning grand slams, and beating Novak Djokovic. Nothing else really matters. Today you saw that from Roger. You would never, EVER see an effort like that from him in a GS.

Kat_YYZ
03-27-2012, 09:02 AM

Yes, I saw it.
Wow, you actually believe your assessment of Roger's reactions is scientific fact?? :confused: It is a purely subjective opinion, like two people looking at a painting and arguing over whether it's beautiful. I don't say my take is better, I was just stating that I didn't see it your way. you do realize that you are just guessing about his thoughts and feelings, right?

OnlyOneGOAT
03-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Yes, I saw it.
Wow, you actually believe your assessment of Roger's reactions is scientific fact?? :confused: It is a purely subjective opinion, like two people looking at a painting and arguing over whether it's beautiful. I don't say my take is better, I was just stating that I didn't see it your way. you do realize that you are just guessing about his thoughts and feelings, right?

When you watch tennis for years you can observe things. Of course I don't know how Federer is feeling but I've watched him for a long time. He's worn out right now maybe physically but definitely mentally.

tealeaves
03-27-2012, 10:08 AM
He should play in MC now.

tripwires
03-27-2012, 10:35 AM
That has nothing to do with it. He wasn't excited after beating Rafa in the semi either.

Did you see his celebration when he avoided going down break point at 5-4, 30-all in the second set?! Maybe he was relatively after he actually won the match because there was rain delay and it was thus rather anti-climatic when he hit that ace on match point. :shrug:

Also, the second set versus Isner was a breeze for him. I haven't been watching him that long - only since 2008 - but I've noticed that he gets really pumped up more when he crawls/fights his way out of a tough situation, like that 5-4 30-all point versus Nadal. In the Rotterdam final he saved numerous set points against del Potro before he finally won - obviously he'd be pumped at that. I just can't imagine that he wouldn't care about the IW victory.

JurajCrane
03-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Iīve changed my mind. Unexpected loss to Roddick is a big reason why to play Monte Carlo 2012.

OnlyOneGOAT
03-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Did you see his celebration when he avoided going down break point at 5-4, 30-all in the second set?! Maybe he was relatively after he actually won the match because there was rain delay and it was thus rather anti-climatic when he hit that ace on match point. :shrug:

Also, the second set versus Isner was a breeze for him. I haven't been watching him that long - only since 2008 - but I've noticed that he gets really pumped up more when he crawls/fights his way out of a tough situation, like that 5-4 30-all point versus Nadal. In the Rotterdam final he saved numerous set points against del Potro before he finally won - obviously he'd be pumped at that. I just can't imagine that he wouldn't care about the IW victory.

You make some valid points but like I said I don't think Fed was pumped after he beat Nadal because like I said even though its a grand stage for most players for the big 3 these wins almost mean nothing, its all about grand slams.

Slice Winner
03-27-2012, 12:23 PM
He should play in MC now.

This.
Going out early in Miami will give him enough time to rest.
He can then try to get back some of the 300 points he lost here in Monte Carlo.

paseo
03-27-2012, 12:38 PM
I haven't been watching him that long - only since 2008 -

You never saw prime Federer?

Chirag
03-27-2012, 04:24 PM
youtube is for that now :sad:

Mystique
03-27-2012, 04:30 PM

The biggest loss for all the coming generations of tennis lovers.
Well, YouTube is always there for some of those memories...:)

tripwires
03-27-2012, 05:03 PM

No. :sobbing: :bigcry: I have DVDs but obviously it's not the same. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Federer_28
03-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Fedfans still think he will reach number 2.....sad really to see that...Clay season is coming people.......Rafael Nadal's time

Nadal can gain 800 points at most during the clay season.
Thats IF HE WINS EVERY TOURNAMENT .

SO yeah , Fed can definately get to # 2

Corey Feldman
03-27-2012, 08:56 PM
no point in Fed playing here now

he's bollocksed the whole thing up after last night, get ready to be #3 seed and have Nadal in his half every tournament now

utterly screwed it up, Nadal - Nole semi finals would have been hilarious

Silvester
03-28-2012, 01:59 AM
He should play it...since he's out early, skipping it will be too much of a break. He needs some match play.

fast_clay
03-28-2012, 02:25 AM
I haven't been watching him that long - only since 2008

:speakles:

you're not a real fedtard...

please leave this thread

tripwires
03-28-2012, 02:31 AM
:speakles:

you're not a real fedtard...

please leave this thread

:sobbing: What can I do to make up for the error of my ways?

carebear4eva
03-28-2012, 03:33 AM
My first post here!

When do you think we'll know if he's playing MC?

I don't know if I want him to play or not...I'd really like some points, and it would help avoid the crazy 7 weeks break...But I really don't want him to overdo it either (it has been a pretty hectic start to 2012).

So, yeah, in previous years when he's entered as a WC, when has it been announced?

LinkMage
03-28-2012, 03:37 AM
Didn't he reach the QF last year? It's not like he can gain massive points here. At the very most a final, semifinal being more likely.

He screwed up in the biggest imaginable way yesterday. Had an utter mug draw to reach SF in Miami only having to beat his pigeons Roddick - Monaco - Fish and he threw all into the trash. Disgusting loss.

carebear4eva
03-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Didn't he reach the QF last year? It's not like he can gain massive points here. At the very most a final, semifinal being more likely.

He screwed up in the biggest imaginable way yesterday. Had an utter mug draw to reach SF in Miami only having to beat his pigeons Roddick - Monaco - Fish and he threw all into the trash. Disgusting loss.

Yeah, so he can at least defend those 180 points...Otherwise he loses those too. And who knows, maybe he'll find some luck on the blue clay :)

Very mad about yesterday too...He just seemed BORED. I have no other way to describe it. He was BORED and completely DISINTERESTED. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Oh, well...

FedvsNole
03-28-2012, 06:20 AM
Points wise I dunno what to think. Depends on what happens with nadal-tsonga. If nadal loses he'll go down -420 and roger's -270 won't have hurt him. In fact had roger reached the semis vs djokovic and lost he would have more likely skipped MC and ended up -180 between the two tournaments. Now he'll likely play and hopefully reach at leas the semis and gain another roughly 200 points.

Best scenerio for roger is nadal loses to tsonga and does not defend monte carlo, preferiably losing to nole. That's 820 points lost for nadal. If fed can reach the quarters or better at monte carlo i think he'd have number 2 ranking. Even if nadal wins over tsonga, if murray takes him out he'll lose 240 and if anyone can take nadal out at monte carlo lets say its nole in the final thats another -400. If roger were to make the monte carlo semis, lose to nole, and then nole beating nadal. Roger would be ranked number 2 for madrid.

Maybe far fetched but who knows with nadal saying his knees are bothering him and he's not able to defend as well as he was in australia.

carebear4eva
03-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Points wise I dunno what to think. Depends on what happens with nadal-tsonga. If nadal loses he'll go down -420 and roger's -270 won't have hurt him. In fact had roger reached the semis vs djokovic and lost he would have more likely skipped MC and ended up -180 between the two tournaments. Now he'll likely play and hopefully reach at leas the semis and gain another roughly 200 points.

Best scenerio for roger is nadal loses to tsonga and does not defend monte carlo, preferiably losing to nole. That's 820 points lost for nadal. If fed can reach the quarters or better at monte carlo i think he'd have number 2 ranking. Even if nadal wins over tsonga, if murray takes him out he'll lose 240 and if anyone can take nadal out at monte carlo lets say its nole in the final thats another -400. If roger were to make the monte carlo semis, lose to nole, and then nole beating nadal. Roger would be ranked number 2 for madrid.

Maybe far fetched but who knows with nadal saying his knees are bothering him and he's not able to defend as well as he was in australia.

It's basically something like this that I'm hoping for too. He's almost certainly going to succeed at defending the 500 at Barcelona. That leaves Miami, Monte Carlo, Madrid and Rome as hopeful places to snatch those points away from. I'm really hoping Tsonga pulls off a win tomorrow. That will lead to a net change of +105 points between them for Miami. After that we simply hope that he loses at MC (to Djoko, or even better, to Federer (let's hope)). It's likely he will reclaim at least one of Madrid and Rome, though.

Really hope Federer plays MC though, just for the focus, if not for the points. When do you think we will know his decision?

Nirjhor
03-28-2012, 08:12 AM
no point in Fed playing here now

he's bollocksed the whole thing up after last night, get ready to be #3 seed and have Nadal in his half every tournament now

utterly screwed it up, Nadal - Nole semi finals would have been hilarious

This is what I want to watch. But this won't happen. :o

Ad Wim
03-28-2012, 08:47 AM
What's all the fuzz about, he is not on the EL...

Poirot123
03-28-2012, 07:27 PM
If I was Federer I would skip Monte Carlo and play Bucharest and/or Munich instead. Get some practice in on clay, win a couple of ATP250 tournaments, and avoid facing a beatdown from Rafa on his best surface.

carebear4eva
03-28-2012, 11:29 PM
If I was Federer I would skip Monte Carlo and play Bucharest and/or Munich instead. Get some practice in on clay, win a couple of ATP250 tournaments, and avoid facing a beatdown from Rafa on his best surface.

I like the idea, although I think it's highly unlikely he will.....

AntiTennis
03-28-2012, 11:42 PM
ehm..sure? I think he was excited, of course he is not Novak to scream to the sky, do fist bumps to his chest or break his shirt ;) but for be RF I think he was excited

after he won that point in 30-30 5-4:

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m15bf2d1C41qe06feo1_250.gif

after winning against Rafa:

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m15bf2d1C41qe06feo2_250.gif

_Chaz
04-11-2012, 08:44 AM
It's official, he won't play Monte Carlo.

https://twitter.com/#!/NeilHarmanTimes/status/189978376893759488

Neil Harman writes: "Those, like me, hoping The Fed might take a wild card into Monte Carlo next week are going to be disappointed. He won't."

And he's one of the few good journalists out there so I'll trust him that he has a good source.

Edit: Please change the thread title as most haven't realized that Fed already made a decision.

zcess81
04-11-2012, 08:56 AM
I hope Federer plays. He needs to turn the screws tight against Rafa (and get closer to Nole). Closer the top 3 in the rankings the better.

duong
04-11-2012, 09:05 AM
The spring and especially the summer will be very long and busy.

I'm not sure people have already realized that on MTF.

And people may dream for him for the rankings, but Fed is 31 years old soon and his priorities are the slams and the Olympics. If he manages to get something there, he may get something better in the rankings : a few points in Monte-Carlo are nothing comparing to the points earnt in slams. As for the number 1 and 2 seeds in Roland-Garros, he will only get number 2 seed in Roland-Garros if Nadal is very bad during clay season. And for Wimbledon it's even harder. And anyway, if Fed is number 2 and Nadal number 3, Fed has the same % of chances to meet Nadal in semifinal in both cases. The only difference would be the possibility of meeting Murray rather than Djokovic is semis ... and that could only happen if Nadal is bad during clay season and if Fed is lucky in the draw.

Imo it will be crucial for all players to keep some freshness for the US Open, and for Federer physical freshness has proved to be crucial on grass (even in 2009 he played badly in the final, moving badly, comparing to how great he had player during the previous matches) for both Wimbledon and the Olympics.

Clay Death
04-11-2012, 09:06 AM
fed should play. he has such an easy style of play so why the hell not.

and zcess81 forget about it. he is not snatching a title here but why not start getting as many clay matches under his belt as possible now if he wants to make a difference at the 3 remaining slams.

clay will help sharpen his game.

henke007
04-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Monte Carlo is such a joke 1000. Way to many freepoints at stake here, can't belive they haven't demoted this non mandatory crap already.

Clay Death
04-11-2012, 09:10 AM
why is it a "joke"?

joplin
04-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Monte Carlo is such a joke 1000. Way to many freepoints at stake here, can't belive they haven't demoted this non mandatory crap already.

aou are an uptight jackass, sir. Only trolls like you don`t know this tournament has a great history and tradition in tennis calendar, especially among non slam tournaments

fsoica
04-11-2012, 09:22 AM
I think he already decided for a 6 weeks holiday. Until after the USOpen he will have 3 more weeks after Wimbledon and, in between, it will be his swan song. One slam (Wimby or US) or the Olympics singles gold. Nothing more, but nothing less. I said it here first :)

P.S.
Monte Carlo is as good as any other Masters 1000. Neighter the history crap some are selling, nor the weak field/non-mandatory/demotable event others are speaking about.

duong
04-11-2012, 09:32 AM
I think he already decided for a 6 weeks holiday.

holiday and practicing : he started practicing in Dubai with Jesse Levine.

Holidays for mental freshness, then physical and technical preparation.

fsoica
04-11-2012, 09:36 AM
holiday and practicing : he started practicing in Dubai with Jesse Levine.

I agree. 6 weeks of holiday is way too much.
Where's the "practicing with Levine" news coming from? And why Levine? Is he a leftie?

_Chaz
04-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Where's the "practicing with Levine" news coming from? And why Levine? Is he a leftie?

https://twitter.com/#!/jesselevine7/status/189739007633141761

duong
04-11-2012, 09:40 AM
And why Levine? Is he a leftie?

yes, he's a leftie, why I don't know but they had already practiced together in the past.

Kiedis
04-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Federer Forum :o

Puschkin
04-11-2012, 10:14 AM
:rolleyes: Why? Because Roger is not playing it? I like him, but he is not the only guy to watch.

Apart from him, almost eveeryone of relevance will be tehre.

henke007
04-11-2012, 10:24 AM
:rolleyes: Why? Because Roger is not playing it? I like him, but he is not the only guy to watch.

Apart from him, almost eveeryone of relevance will be tehre.

Well thank God Nole is playing right. Last year Nole, Delpo and Soda didn't play and Fed couldn't care less if he went out early.

reery
04-11-2012, 05:28 PM
He is not playing.

paseo
04-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Fed needs to rest those old bones.

abraxas21
04-11-2012, 06:26 PM
old bones ain't playing. time to give it a break