Federer says he could be playing the best of his life [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer says he could be playing the best of his life

Ash86
03-19-2012, 12:29 AM
Via www.twitter.com/SI_BTBaseline:

Federer: "I think I'm playing extremely well. If it's the best of my life, I'll never know. We'll all never know."

:facepalm: We do know Fed. The best in your life was around 2006. This is not it. You did just lose to Isner last month on clay & lost in a slam semi. 2006 Fed would be steamrolling opponents.

Other presser excerpts:

Fed says he's been playing "extremely well" since RG. Says ppl don't give him credit for his form b/c he didn't win the tourney.
"It's amazing...Starting in Basel, I have won six out of eight. It's pretty extraordinary." -Roger Federer on his recent play.

Perhaps there was no credit for post-RG play because you lost to Tsonga from 2 sets up; Djokovic from 2 sets up; Tsonga at a Masters series and I can't even remember who Fed lost to in Cincy so I find it hard to believe he was doing "extremely well". Have to hand it to him though - the guy has self belief and confidence and it does him good.

lazybear
03-19-2012, 12:33 AM
Perhaps there was no credit for post-RG play because you lost to Tsonga from 2 sets up; Djokovic from 2 sets up; Tsonga at a Masters series and I can't even remember who Fed lost to in Cincy so I find it hard to believe he was doing "extremely well". Have to hand it to him though - the guy has self belief and confidence and it does him good.

That's precisely his point. People don't give a crap, because he lost in the semis against Nadal. Who cares if he won 6 out of 8 tourneys. It's unfair, he's doing what's he doing, at the age of 30, that's really almost unprecedented. I already have him as the second best 30+ player of all-time behind Agassi, and if he wins another Slam, i'll have to rank him at nr. 1, because even though Agassi won what, 5 slams past 30, i don't think he ever played on that level. We should be really, really impressed with Roger. That's some scary consistency, and level of play from a 30 and a half year old tennis player.

HKz
Is for good press to keep generating interest on tennis.. You think people want to hear I'm nowhere near my 2006 level?

Roddickominator
He really is playing great tennis. In some aspects, probably even better than prime Fed. He just doesn't move nearly as well and that is probably the #1 most important factor in tennis today.

SheepleBuster
03-19-2012, 12:36 AM
Federer is done

Lleyton_
03-19-2012, 12:38 AM
Good. You can talk about it in his forum.

JediFed
03-19-2012, 12:39 AM
I already have him as the second best 30+ player of all-time behind Agassi

Ahead of Jimbo? No.

Sampras?

You'd be comparing a win and a final at the USO. Fed has a SF at the USO, and a SF at the Australian Open.

WTF + Indian Wells + Dubai + Rotterdam + Basel + Paris.

Is all that worth a slam title at the USO?

alter ego
03-19-2012, 12:39 AM
I love how people fall in the same trap every time (media spin on empty words). Let's wait and see what was the question and what Roger actually said.
I can imagine it went somethig like: "how far are you from your best?" and Fed saying something like "Maybe I'm playing my best tennis right now, who knows?" just to get rid of the question.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
03-19-2012, 12:40 AM
federer is the best 30 year old level of tennis ever

i know someone is going to bring up rocket
and tilden
and pancho

and those points are valid- but i think fed 30 yrs vs agassi/laver/big bill 30 yrs

fed wins imo

Ash86
03-19-2012, 12:40 AM
That's precisely his point. People don't give a crap, because he lost in the semis against Nadal. It's unfair, even though we used to see him steamrolling opponent. At 30, we should be really impresses, everybody should be really impressed.

Yes but I disagree that he's been playing great since RG. His RG form came out of nowhere and then he lost in the Wimbledon QF - that is a bad result for him. He then didn't get good results in the HC Masters and had another shocker at the US Open. It's impressive for a 30 year old but by Fed's standards those were not results people were going to write about - and certainly not when Novak was winning everything...

His post-Basel run has been commented on a lot though and he was joint favourite for Aus Open by some; favoured by a lot to beat Rafa in the Aus Open semi etc. He didn't get credit before winning the titles because relative to say Djokovic or Nadal he wasn't playing that amazing and wasn't even making finals.

For a 30 year old it's impressive but no way is this the best he's ever played. He's much more serve reliant now than he used to be in my opinion.

hipolymer
03-19-2012, 12:42 AM
Better competition than in 2004-2007 and he is still winning titles left and right. In some ways he's right.

Clydey
03-19-2012, 12:45 AM
People in denial.

'But, but...2006?!'

The man even says himself that he is playing as well as he ever has. Coincidentally, this comes out the same day that I make precisely that point.

ReturnWinner
03-19-2012, 12:46 AM
I agree.

Pirata.
03-19-2012, 12:48 AM
Better competition than in 2004-2007 and he is still winning titles left and right. In some ways he's right.

Now that Fed is having his own mini streak, I wonder if people at this forum will keep up with their nonsense about how Fed only won because his era was weak.

03-19-2012, 12:49 AM

safin ao 2005 would triple bagel nadal and djokovic back to back right

FedvsNole
03-19-2012, 12:53 AM
Federer playing really well.

In his prime movement was the biggest difference along with more power and pop and spin on his forehand. His backhand is better now I dunno but he was able to run around it enough and it was still solid shot. I think he copes with nadal topspin to his backhand better now than in his prime. His endurance, focus, and recovery were much better. Also his second serve had a lot more kick back then and his first serve i think was a touch better esepcially at clutch times. His return was even more amazing and he was very very tough to ace.

Looner
03-19-2012, 12:53 AM
I wonder what'll happen if Fed were to reach the final in Miami and have another 20+ winning streak. Weak ear where a grandpa can have 2x 20+ winning streaks in the space of 6 months.

Clydey
03-19-2012, 12:54 AM

Not a chance in hell. I have no doubt a red hot Safin would be extremely competitive, but let's not get crazy. Djokovic played better tennis in 2011 than Safin ever has.

MIMIC
03-19-2012, 12:54 AM
I know this is like nails on a chalk board for his "fans".

rocketassist
03-19-2012, 12:56 AM
Not a chance in hell. I have no doubt a red hot Safin would be extremely competitive, but let's not get crazy. Djokovic played better tennis in 2011 than Safin ever has.

No he didn't. No way. He played steadier tennis, but not better aggressive tennis.

cmoss
03-19-2012, 12:58 AM
Good for him to believe that.Confidence is always good,even if he's actually not at his best.

bookish
Yes but I disagree that he's been playing great since RG ... had another shocker at the US Open.

A shocker at the US Open is a second round loss to Gasquet, it's not a semi-final defeat - by the finest of margins - to Djokovic, in a game that would have been a contender for match of the season had it not been followed by an even more remarkable final.

Time Violation
Don't know why people keep trying to compare all the time anyway, he just won a masters, he's happy with his game, not sure what else is needed there. :)

Clydey
03-19-2012, 12:59 AM
No he didn't. No way. He played steadier tennis, but not better aggressive tennis.

He played better tennis. You can try and break it down any way you want. Djokovic is a better player than Safin has ever been. You would have to be delusional to think otherwise. It's a bit like saying Nalbandian is better than Federer because his peak level was so tough to deal with at the end of 2007.

rocketassist
03-19-2012, 01:01 AM
He played better tennis. You can try and break it down any way you want. Djokovic is a better player than Safin has ever been. You would have to be delusional to think otherwise. It's a bit like saying Nalbandian is better than Federer because his peak level was so tough to deal with at the end of 2007.

He's a greater player on the basis of his achievements, but he certainly isn't a better tennis talent. Indeed his money shot, the backhand, is inferior to Safin's.

rocketassist
03-19-2012, 01:01 AM
A shocker at the US Open is a second round loss to Gasquet, it's not a semi-final defeat - by the finest of margins - to Djokovic, in a game that would have been a contender for match of the season had it not been followed by an even more remarkable final.

That USO final was pretty average save for a high quality third set.

Filo V.
03-19-2012, 01:03 AM
I'll listen to what Roger Federer thinks about Roger Federer's game than what armchair analysts on here have to say.

fmolinari2005
03-19-2012, 01:04 AM
Nice way of twisting what Fed said.

rofe
03-19-2012, 01:06 AM
In my opinion it depends on what he truly means. In the 2004-2007 years, he used to play on pure instinct (with negligible scouting) and mow through the opposition. He could do that because his movement was superior, his forehand was devastating from all angles of the court and his ROS was quite good.

Nowadays, he has been forced to scout his opponents, create plans on exploiting any potential weaknesses and play a more strategic and sneaky game to compensate for his relatively poor movement, his shitty ROS etc. Maybe he feels that he has been able to win quite a few matches even after realizing his limitations and coming up with and executing a game that compensates for those limitations. It maybe makes victories all the more sweeter.

Clydey
03-19-2012, 01:08 AM
He's a greater player on the basis of his achievements, but he certainly isn't a better tennis talent. Indeed his money shot, the backhand, is inferior to Safin's.

What are you basing that one? Two excellent tournaments defined by a single great win over Federer?

That USO final was pretty average save for a high quality third set.

It was the highest quality tennis I have ever seen, but I'm sure you have something from 2002 in mind.

03-19-2012, 01:12 AM

no, djokovic dominated the weakest tour in recorded history
with the exception of nadal who he worked out

safin is the only man who beat federer at a hard court slam between 2004-2006

destroyed sampras who was still playing at a high level

and nadal is shit on a hard court so he would be triple bagled by marat

rocketassist
03-19-2012, 01:14 AM
What are you basing that one? Two excellent tournaments defined by a single great win over Federer?

It was the highest quality tennis I have ever seen, but I'm sure you have something from 2002 in mind.

Clearly you're a talent = results type. Safin is easily the more talented player, Djokovic has the better results.

Djoko-Nadal USO wasn't a patch on the Madrid or Hamburg clay encounters IMO. The best match of 2011 was easily Federer-Djokovic at RG.

And seeing as you asked me to name a 2002 match better, the US Open final of that year will do.

03-19-2012, 01:16 AM
2003 henman would have beaten djokovic and nadal at wimbledon that year too

scud too
roddick too

alter ego
03-19-2012, 01:17 AM

:haha:
Highest quality = Nadull serving like a WTA junior getting broken 11 times out of 18 serves games?

rocketassist
03-19-2012, 01:17 AM
2003 henman would have beaten djokovic and nadal at wimbledon that year too

scud too
roddick too

Well of course, 2003 surface was miles faster.

Clydey
03-19-2012, 01:18 AM
Clearly you're a talent = results type. Safin is easily the more talented player, Djokovic has the better results.

Djoko-Nadal USO wasn't a patch on the Madrid or Hamburg clay encounters IMO. The best match of 2011 was easily Federer-Djokovic at RG.

And seeing as you asked me to name a 2002 match better, the US Open final of that year will do.

Suffice to say, I don't agree with any of the above. That includes the assertion that I'm a talent = results type. That couldn't be further from the truth.

This is again mostly subjective, but the relevant facts are on my side.

juan27
03-19-2012, 03:15 AM

true.

murray can`t compare with thats hewitt or safin even roddick , and this man is top 4since 2008....

semi-retired nalbandian was very close to defeat nadal this week too , defeating two top-10 of this generation.

where are the better competition???? only nole or rafa , the rest is much worse that in 2004-2007

rogeragassi
03-19-2012, 03:17 AM
I think Rogers hand skills have improved...most notably on the backhand side. He simply does not make as many errors as he used to on the backhand, and he comes over the return better now.

On the forehand, it's a draw...I feel like he makes less errors, but maybe its not quite as huge because he has lost some flexibility. Still very big though...and my favorite shot in the game. So many fewer shanks than the 2008-2011 fed.

I feel like he is mentally stronger than in the old days, with the ability to pull out all of these close matches and fewer dumb concentration lapses

The only deprovement is that he has of course lost some quickness. Add his current backhand, consistency, and mental toughness to the quickness of a 22-25 year old Fed and you have the Ultimate Fed.

BroTree123
03-19-2012, 03:27 AM
Not really. He's playing well, but the best ever from him.

abraxas21
03-19-2012, 03:35 AM
People in denial.

'But, but...2006?!'

The man even says himself that he is playing as well as he ever has. Coincidentally, this comes out the same day that I make precisely that point.

way to flatter yourself

it's not the first time federer makes this type of comments. in may 2011 he said "If I compare myself with my 2005 level, I certainly play better today"(*).

federer has always been the over optimistic and self confident type of bloke, even though that tends to go against reality some times.

(*) http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=182822&highlight=

Clydey
03-19-2012, 03:39 AM
way to flatter yourself

it's not the first time federer makes this type of comments. in may 2011 he said "If I compare myself with my 2005 level, I certainly play better today"(*).

federer has always been the over optimistic and self confident type of bloke, even though that tends to go against reality some times.

(*) http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=182822&highlight=

He's not the only one who has made that observation.

Mountaindewslave
03-19-2012, 04:13 AM

:facepalm: We do know Fed. The best in your life was around 2006. This is not it. You did just lose to Isner last month on clay & lost in a slam semi. 2006 Fed would be steamrolling opponents.

Other presser excerpts:

Federer is playing well but he has gone senile and lost his memory if he really thinks he's playing even 2/3's as good as his prime. Roger in 05-06 was just perfection and although Roger is hitting a great agressive ball recently and serving big, he just is not playing at the walking on water level that was his prime

sco
03-19-2012, 04:52 AM
Prime Fed used to steam roll through opponents without benefit of coaching, scouting, drop-shot (which he disdained for so long & who can blame him if he won so easily without using it), tactics, and aggressiveness especially regarding attacking the net. If he'd used all these in his prime against Nadal, the head-to-head would not be so lop-sided but then he's so arrogant and stubborn. Keep pounding Nadal's backhand and stop playing the "right" or "pretty" shot.

I was surprised that Fed handled the windy conditions better than Nadal. One would think it would be the other way around but the man is a natural and adjusted very well. I always think that he plays best when he plays on instinct (except vs Nadal).

leng jai
03-19-2012, 05:25 AM

You're contradicting the other things you've said in this thread with this post. Safin's AO 2004 and 2005 were highers levels of tennis than Nole played on 2011, but it was only for one tournament in each season.

Arkulari
03-19-2012, 05:38 AM
Nice way of twisting what Fed said.

This.

English is not even my first language and even I can read things when they are explicit, this isn't what the OP says. :o

SetSampras
03-19-2012, 05:59 AM
We'll see if people are saying this after one of the other big 3 blow him out at the next 3 slams. Feds doing well at the smaller tournaments but I want to see what he does slam wise to the other top dogs when they are going for it hard unlike they have showed at these non slam events thus far.

What you think Nadal, Djoker and to a lesser extent Murray, are going to play some such uninspiring tennis (that they are playing now) when it matters most? At the very least, Nole and Nadal's level are going to pick up quite a few notches compared to where they are now.

Nadal played like doo doo yesterday, and he sidestepped Nole (who Fed very well would have lost to today in the finals)

Clydey
03-19-2012, 06:09 AM
You're contradicting the other things you've said in this thread with this post. Safin's AO 2004 and 2005 were highers levels of tennis than Nole played on 2011, but it was only for one tournament in each season.

Where's the contradiction? I said Djokovic played better tennis in 2011 than Safin ever has. That is not the same as saying that Djokovic was better at every point throughout 2011. I don't think Safin's AO 04 and 05 were of a higher level than Djokovic at his best in 2011, in other words. I'm sure Safin's AO 05 level was higher than Djokovic's level at various points throughout 2011, but I certainly don't think it was higher than Nole's AO 2011 form.

siffleanimaux
03-19-2012, 06:28 AM
his self belief and confidence is astonishing, especially at his age when many would have already declined, yet he's still up there with the top guns. Truly remarkable. Keep going Fed. Hope you get one more week at no. 1 before you retire.

siffleanimaux
03-19-2012, 06:29 AM
Where's the contradiction? I said Djokovic played better tennis in 2011 than Safin ever has. That is not the same as saying that Djokovic was better at every point throughout 2011. I don't think Safin's AO 04 and 05 were of a higher level than Djokovic at his best in 2011, in other words. I'm sure Safin's AO 05 level was higher than Djokovic's level at various points throughout 2011, but I certainly don't think it was higher than Nole's AO 2011 form.

imo AO08 was Nole's peak. 2011 for Nole in general was of a very high level and very close to is AO08 form imo, but the key was sustaining his consistency for basically the entire year.

HKz
03-19-2012, 06:41 AM
We'll see if people are saying this after one of the other big 3 blow him out at the next 3 slams. Feds doing well at the smaller tournaments but I want to see what he does slam wise to the other top dogs when they are going for it hard unlike they have showed at these non slam events thus far.

What you think Nadal, Djoker and to a lesser extent Murray, are going to play some such uninspiring tennis (that they are playing now) when it matters most? At the very least, Nole and Nadal's level are going to pick up quite a few notches compared to where they are now.

Nadal played like doo doo yesterday, and he sidestepped Nole (who Fed very well would have lost to today in the finals)

It is quite amazing how defensive retards get. Federer doesn't win anything he is done, never will win anything anymore. He beats Djokovic, fluke. He starts winnings MS/TMC, he isn't winning anything big. He beats Nadal and wins another MS event and several other titles, he will get blown next time. Holy fuck.

siffleanimaux
03-19-2012, 06:51 AM
i don't even visit mtf much and even I knew SetSampras is a dumbass who should not be addressed :lol:

jonas
03-19-2012, 07:20 AM
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/23298_10150108062050557_7748_n.jpg

tripwires
03-19-2012, 07:28 AM

Nole lost to Isner but would have beaten Rogi in the final? :haha: According to you Nole's form was shit in this tournament and yet he would have beaten Rogi? :haha:

leng jai
03-19-2012, 07:31 AM
Feeble attempt from Rogi to try and restore the aura he had in his peak.

Ajde.

rickcastle
03-19-2012, 07:31 AM
It is quite amazing how defensive retards get. Federer doesn't win anything he is done, never will win anything anymore. He beats Djokovic, fluke. He starts winnings MS/TMC, he isn't winning anything big. He beats Nadal and wins another MS event and several other titles, he will get blown next time. Holy fuck.

Even if Federer manages to win the calendar grandslam it will only be because "Nadal and Djokovic weren't 100%" :worship:

JediFed
03-19-2012, 07:35 AM
Rubbish.

"Weak Era".

Time Violation
03-19-2012, 07:47 AM
no, djokovic dominated the weakest tour in recorded history
with the exception of nadal who he worked out

safin is the only man who beat federer at a hard court slam between 2004-2006

destroyed sampras who was still playing at a high level

and nadal is shit on a hard court so he would be triple bagled by marat

:spit: :haha:

Top comedy :yeah:

Mystique
03-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Mark my words, in 2012 Roger Federer will be arrested for driving SetSampras to suicide.

;)

Revan
03-19-2012, 07:54 AM
Mark my words, in 2012 Roger Federer will be arrested for driving SetSampras to suicide.

;)

:worship:

FedvsNole
03-19-2012, 08:22 AM

Blow him out? Even against nole 2.0 last year every slam match they played could have easily gone to the other with a point here or there. Fed even played nadal very tough at the french last year and even australia this year except he stopped doing his winning formula ex: keep hitting to nadals backhand.

Fed's played 41 fricking matches since 11-1-11 and won 6 titles and honestly the only one lacking top players was rotterdam but he played an on fire davydenko and made a great comeback there finished with press late 1am and steamrolled del po at 2pm the next day. Nole, murray, fed were all in the draw for Dubai,basel,paris,wtf, indian wells. Top 8 players were all there at WTF 2011 and indian wells. So 41 matches in 4.5 months going 39-2 is great. He's won 6/8 events even with his doha withdrawal. He's beaten nadal twice in their last 3 matches. Beat red hot murray who straight setted nole both without dropping sets.

Fed was having problems with "big hitters" but during this run has beaten tsonga like 4 times since us open, destroyed berdych, beaten del potro like 5 times without losing a set since Cinci, and as seen yesterday handled isner even though he served almost 75% first serves and outaced isner himself while isner only had 4. Even raonic only had 10 aces over 3 long sets with federer but fed still matched raonic ace count of 10 and these guys are the two biggest ace leaders on tour.

While djokovic's level has clearly dropped from us open where fed had him at match points; federer has improved his level. He's returning big serves a hell of a lot better, his defense is definitely improved, he's winning all these tight matches that he was losing, he's getting his "clutchness" back when being down break points and getting the ace or winner. His forehand is getting more consistent and he's getting a lot of winners and the backhand drive has been very solid. And the scariest thing now is he's feeling more confident than some time which is when he's most deadly and i guarantee the locker room in tennis has noticed and fed's aura has gotten much bigger especially after indian wells.

Nirjhor
03-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Oh yeah.. SetSampras at his very best. :superlol: I think he's trying hard to act like SdG. But SdG is classic. :worship: Keep it up SetSampras!

masterclass
03-19-2012, 08:36 AM
One should always be cautious about excerpted text, whatever the source, as one loses context.

Though this transcript (http://www.ubitennis.com/sport/tennis/2012/03/19/683331-roger_federer_2012.shtml) may not be the "official" transcript from the ATP or tournament website, it is the most complete transcript I've found.

Enjoy :)

Respectfully,
masterclass

EddieNero
03-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Federer is simply in very good form considering his age and hopefully he can keep it up long enough to regain the number one position.
Roger is still able to beat everyone except Nadal in slams and defeat anyone in BO3 format.

Navratil
03-19-2012, 09:07 AM
He won 39 of his last 41 matches!

Yes, he is almost at is very best. What he needs is the outstanding self-confidence and mental strength he used to have 6 years ago. If he was mentally that strong as he used to be he would have won the US-Open semi versus Djokovic and the Australian-Open semi versus Nadal and could have been the # 1 pretty soon.

But he'll get his self-confidence back with back-to-back titles in Dubai and Indian Wells and could be # 1 after Wimbledon this year.

arm
03-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks, Roger. No more olderer excuses from your fans :hatoff: :lol:

tripwires
03-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Rogi's just so adorably deluded. :hearts:

Chirag
03-19-2012, 09:31 AM
He is trying to get some of his aura back :lol: cheap trick really :lol:

Fuser59
03-19-2012, 09:36 AM
This is the turning point people..bcs as far as movement is concerned this is the closest to 05-07 FEd..I've seen
Now I think he's turned it in his head...something like that 09 GS streak..I fully expect him to win a GS this year..finally beating Rafa in a best of 5..

ossie
03-19-2012, 09:46 AM
the lie that federer was better when he was younger is just a self-defense mechanism created by some of his fans whose minds just could not compute how their precious federer could ever lose to real tennis players like nadal djoker delpo and murray. they thought he was always going to play mugs like hewitt, roddick, gonzalez and schuettler. like federer and the tennis experts of the world know and repeatedly point out, we live in a stronger era now.

Chirag
03-19-2012, 09:50 AM
we live in a stronger era now.

and yet a 30 year old is dominating the scene right now with 39 of 41 :o Noone at 30 had that much dominance in any era :o

ossie
03-19-2012, 09:53 AM
and yet a 30 year old is dominating the scene right now with 39 of 41 :o Noone at 30 had that much dominance in any era :owho says a 30 year old can't dominate, especially if he is playing the best tennis of his life :shrug:

Commander Data
03-19-2012, 10:01 AM
One can not be objective about oneself. Even Mr. Federer gets slower with age.

rickcastle
03-19-2012, 10:02 AM
He is trying to get some of his aura back :lol: cheap trick really :lol:

Yep. He knows a lot of players aren't scared of him anymore so keeping on saying that he's playing he's best ever tennis, he's hoping to get some of that scared thoughts back into players' minds. The trick works with mugs but we know it won't work with players like Djokovic and Nadal. Murray, maybe. Some players like to do their gamesmanship on court while Federer likes to do his in his interviews.

It won't take much to look up videos of Federer's movement in 2006 and see the difference. He still plays like that once in a while but the key consistency is gone.

Of course Federer haters would hang on to his word here to say that a 30 going on 31 year old man has not really declined and is only losing today because "strong era!!!!111111eleventwenty fuck yeah!!!" nevermind that he's 5-6 years older than his fiercest competitors.

tripwires
03-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Also, Rogi's not gonna publicly say that he's declined. That doesn't make any sense at all.

In fact, he probably doesn't even want to admit it.

03-19-2012, 10:26 AM
drop-shot (which he disdained for so long & who can blame him if he won so easily without using it),

spot on.

he was so good he handicapped his own game to give the other guy a chance

GOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lopez
03-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Federer has definitely been hitting his backhand nicely in his later years, maybe because he's not able to run around it as much. His serve and forehand are less solid than in his prime, and movement has clearly declined. But his tennis brain seems to have been forced to evolve a bit when he can't win with feel alone.

Let's wait if he finishes this year with only a few losses and 2 or more slams to say if it's equal to 2006. It's pretty silly to say a tennis player is better now than he was in his prime years 6 years ago at 25 based on a handful of results.

scoutreporter
03-19-2012, 12:29 PM

Maybe he would tripple bagel your mom...

About the topic, Fed is better now than ever, as he says so himself. He is just recognizing nadal and Nole as better players than him, when they all peak. Honest man. Must say...:-)

Houstonko
03-19-2012, 12:34 PM
What he said he meant it. He always try to hit shots that travel low and cross the net which is more damaging. Nowadays the shots cross the net cleanly which make him said this. High UEs was probably due to hitting this way.

reery
03-19-2012, 12:51 PM

LOL.

rocketassist
03-19-2012, 01:13 PM
the lie that federer was better when he was younger is just a self-defense mechanism created by some of his fans whose minds just could not compute how their precious federer could ever lose to real tennis players like nadal djoker delpo and murray. they thought he was always going to play mugs like hewitt, roddick, gonzalez and schuettler. like federer and the tennis experts of the world know and repeatedly point out, we live in a stronger era now.

Real players like delpo who he completely owns. :haha:

Alex999
03-19-2012, 01:28 PM
first of all, congrats to Rog and his fans on taking another master... but let's not get carried away.

juan27
03-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Maybe he would tripple bagel your mom...

About the topic, Fed is better now than ever, as he says so himself. He is just recognizing nadal and Nole as better players than him, when they all peak. Honest man. Must say...:-)

federer not said that.

he said "maybe" , didn`t affirmate anything.

federer always say these things , even when he played horrible , he said that he was playing the best tennis of his life jajajaja , it`s pure logical in terms of sport , never a professional player must say that he is in decline.

nadal and nole better players than him???? jaja

because that , they lost with 30.5 years old men.

ossie , where is the best competititon?????? only 1 or 2 players , the rest is patetic , delpo or murray can`t compare with safin , hewitt , roddick even 35 years old agassi is more player than mugray

juan27
03-19-2012, 01:44 PM

sampras was lucky that had a main rival like agassi , very irregular and with many personal problems , he was out of tennis for 1 year or more......

never , sampras never had a main rival like nadal or federer, very regular players and much betters than agassi.

even , nole is starting to be more regular than agassi

LisaKoh
03-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Good for him. Let him feel confident and happy. He's playing well, he's beaten the only two guys he's lost to since the USO and he wants to go after Novak. It's great that he's happy and he's motivated.

Who cares if it isn't true or not? Haters will try to scrutinize everything he says anyway. Let the guy be, he wants to win, he's happy and he has every right to be.

LisaKoh
03-19-2012, 01:52 PM

Other presser excerpts:

Oh look, another troll post to denigrate the player who beat Nadal. How predictable. Ash86, focus on what Nadal's doing. There are far more constructive uses of your time than trying to scrutinize Federer's optimism and casting it into also sorts of negative light. He won a Masters 1000 and no amount of your posts attempting to defecate all over that fact will accomplish anything.

Accept it and move on.

ETA: :facepalm: x 100,000 at all the other posts you've put up today with all the passive-aggressive Federer bashing.

Looner
03-19-2012, 02:06 PM
first of all, congrats to Rog and his fans on taking another master... but let's not get carried away.

IF you're saying he's not playing the best of his career (which is completely true), then it's even scarier to think what Prime Fed would do to the current #1 and #2. Consider this Nadal against 2006 Fed. Boy...

alfonsojose
03-19-2012, 03:30 PM
B*tchyFed :lol:

Saberq
03-19-2012, 04:09 PM
IF you're saying he's not playing the best of his career (which is completely true), then it's even scarier to think what Prime Fed would do to the current #1 and #2. Consider this Nadal against 2006 Fed. Boy...

Boy what?Nadal lost by accident this SF......one point at 30-30 in the last game and Nadal has the IW title........let's not get carried away.....Nadal today is a much better player than he was in 2006 and Fed is much worse........all these titles while nice for you Fed fans are not important because he aint winning Slams.......Nadal is a lock for RG and W final and he's not winning that

luie
03-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Remarkable if true , he would be the only person in history to play better @30 + . Than a players traditional prime between 21-25 years of age .

luie
03-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Boy what?Nadal lost by accident this SF......one point at 30-30 in the last game and Nadal has the IW title........let's not get carried away.....Nadal today is a much better player than he was in 2006 and Fed is much worse........all these titles while nice for you Fed fans are not important because he aint winning Slams.......Nadal is a lock for RG and W final and he's not winning that

While it is not a HUGE deal , Feds victory over nadull yesterday was significant because it's his first victory over nadull in like 7 years , on outdoor hard.

Certinfy
03-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Raonic and Bellucci should be the second and third best players in the world then clearly.

Saberq
03-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Remarkable if true , he would be the only person in history to play better @30 + . Than a players traditional prime between 21-25 years of age .

Dude Fed is a special case and he is not playing better than Nadal or Novak at this point.......winning titles doesnt mean much for Fed if it's not a Slam ..........he is hot...but he will cool down when clay season comes and Nadal starts dominating again like every fucking year

luie
03-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Dude Fed is a special case and he is not playing better than Nadal or Novak at this point.......winning titles doesnt mean much for Fed if it's not a Slam ..........he is hot...but he will cool down when clay season comes and Nadal starts dominating again like every fucking year

Winning masters has significance , not for the clay season of course because fed will win shit , unless he gets the #2 spot and nadull lands in Novaks half . He could have a great chance in the final against a "tired" nadull , not likely but a possibility.
Also victories add up Novak was 5-0 against nadull in slams , won IW and Miami & some Masters on clay Got the confidence and then started owning nadull At slams. It's a start.
He however has to back-up this win otherwise it will not matter in the overall scheme of things.

Saberq
03-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Winning masters has significance , not for the clay season of course because fed will win shit , unless he gets the #2 spot and nadull lands in Novaks half . He could have a great chance in the final against a "tired" nadull , not likely but a possibility.
Also victories add up Novak was 5-0 against nadull in slams , won IW and Miami & some Masters on clay Got the confidence and then started owning nadull At slams. It's a start.
He however has to back-up this win otherwise it will not matter in the overall scheme of things.

Nadal will never land in Novak's half they will rig the draw........In RG forget about it......They want that final now I dont know if they will get it but it's to obvious......

Eden
03-19-2012, 04:54 PM
People on MTF have really a talent to put words into mouths of the players :lol:

Question in the pressconference to Roger was:

Q. Are you playing better than ever?

Roger's answer:

ROGER FEDERER: I don't know. I think I had a great run the last three matches, and obviously the last sort of, I don't know, six months it's been, I guess. It's been really good.
Before that was great, too. I'm just happy that I'm feeling healthy and happy and willing to play. Just enjoying life, really. I think I'm playing extremely well. If it's the best of my life, I'll never know. We'll all never know.

Point 1: As he has won the tournament he had a great run in his last matches obviously, especially considering the fact that he beat Nadal and Isner who were the only players he lost to this year so far.

Point 2: Have a look at Roger's results in the last months he is refering to - they speak for itself.

Point 3: Where exactly does Roger say in his comment that he plays the best tennis of his life? I don't read anything like this there.

In general Roger just talks about a great run he currently has. He also added the following in his interview:

Q. With everything you have done, do you have any specific motivation outside of competition? Are you trying to get back to No. 1?

ROGER FEDERER: I guess that's a long, long term goal. I said it loud and clear that it's not right now a goal for me in the short term, because I can't be world No. 1 because Novak has played amazing these last 12 months.
You know, just because I have been on a great run doesn't mean he hasn't. So we're all aware of that. And, you know, he might go, you know, and do another run or someone else might come up and go like Rafa might go on his clay court run again, and then all things become very difficult as well for me to get to world No. 1.
So right now that's not even on top of my, you know, my head. I'm just happy how well things are going, and I try to use that momentum to win more tennis matches and enjoy myself even more and enjoy maybe more positive press conferences, which is nice. (Laughter.)

So basically Roger just refers to the results of the past months but also the fact that 2011 wasn't that bad for him even though people sometimes still seem to expect him to win 2 or more Grand Slam titles a year.

He reached the SF of 2 Grand Slam tournaments in 2011 - in one of them he even had the opportunity to reach the final -, one QF where he wasted a big chance after being up 2 sets to 0 and one final. On the way to this final he was the first player to beat Novak in last year's season.

Roger's results of 2011 until the USO would be something most of the players on the tour can only dream of yet comparing to Roger's previous results it is seen as a disappointment for him.

ExpectedWinner
03-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Boy what?Nadal lost by accident this SF......one point at 30-30 in the last game and Nadal has the IW title........let's not get carried away

Well, I guess he lost the AO final by accident as well.

Saberq
03-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Well, I guess he lost this year AO final by accident as well.

well he did.......Novak got lucky.........

ossie
03-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Real players like delpo who he completely owns. :haha:http://tennisconnected.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/del-potro-article.jpg

simplet
03-19-2012, 05:15 PM
People on MTF have really a talent to put words into mouths of the players :lol:

Roger's answer:

Point 1: As he has won the tournament he had a great run in his last matches obviously, especially considering the fact that he beat Nadal and Isner who were the only players he lost to this year so far.

Point 2: Have a look at Roger's results in the last months he is refering to - they speak for itself.

Point 3: Where exactly does Roger say in his comment that he plays the best tennis of his life? I don't read anything like this there.

In general Roger just talks about a great run he currently has. He also added the following in his interview:

So basically Roger just refers to the results of the past months but also the fact that 2011 wasn't that bad for him even though people sometimes still seem to expect him to win 2 or more Grand Slam titles a year.

He reached the SF of 2 Grand Slam tournaments in 2011 - in one of them he even had the opportunity to reach the final -, one QF where he wasted a big chance after being up 2 sets to 0 and one final. On the way to this final he was the first player to beat Novak in last year's season.

Roger's results of 2011 until the USO would be something most of the players on the tour can only dream of yet comparing to Roger's previous results it is seen as a disappointment for him.

I'm always amazed by how easily people fall for those journo's headlines and so forth. You'd thing they would know better by now.

The best thing is that you can point it to them, but come back in 15 minutes and they'll still be talking about whether Federer is becoming arrogant again, or if he's too modest about his 2006 level or whatever. Like clockwork.

ExpectedWinner
03-19-2012, 05:25 PM

Statisticians call it chance; people who believe in magic call it luck. We can increase the odds in chance occurrences sometimes, but not always: for example, you have to buy lottery tickets to win. Our dedicated actions can bring desired results, but people still say that they were "lucky" when this happens.

rocketassist
03-19-2012, 05:45 PM
http://tennisconnected.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/del-potro-article.jpg

The head to head speaks for itself. Even Soderling, Berdych and Tsonga beat him in grand slam tournaments.

Roger the Dodger
03-19-2012, 06:19 PM
As Eden has deftly put the balls in the basket with her post, can we close this thread now?

Mods. Don't. Promote. Gossip.

ossie
03-19-2012, 06:45 PM
The head to head speaks for itself. Even Soderling, Berdych and Tsonga beat him in grand slam tournaments.their h2h is lopsided because of delpos injury. after the usopen final delpo went on to beat him at the wtf on one of feds favourite surfaces and would probably go on to dominate him if it wasn't for his injury.

HKz
03-19-2012, 06:54 PM

I didn't miss you. Enjoy your ban?

Saberq
03-19-2012, 06:57 PM
I didn't miss you. Enjoy your ban?

not bad man.....All in all I had a good time...how you've been?

Nole fan
03-19-2012, 06:59 PM
All the theories going down the toilet at once. So we can now safely say that Roger is not declining and he is indeed playing the best tennis of his career. Sorry fedfans, you can't use more excuses when Nole and Rafa beat him again. :lol:

juan27
03-19-2012, 07:21 PM
All the theories going down the toilet at once. So we can now safely say that Roger is not declining and he is indeed playing the best tennis of his career. Sorry fedfans, you can't use more excuses when Nole and Rafa beat him again. :lol:

it`s a joke???

in that theory , federer not playing the best tennis of his life defeat peak djokovic in rg and in all his matches......

obviusly federer never must say that he is past his peak and more irregular , it`s logical in the professional sport.

anyway , federer didn`t say that he is playing the best tennis of his career , that is an excuse for rafatards or noletards for not admited that a player past his peak and with 30 years old is still defeating young stars.

reery
03-19-2012, 07:56 PM
He has to win a slam, otherwise does not matter how well he is playing if he remains at 16 slams from now on.

Saberq
03-19-2012, 07:57 PM
it`s a joke???

in that theory , federer not playing the best tennis of his life defeat peak djokovic in rg and in all his matches......

obviusly federer never must say that he is past his peak and more irregular , it`s logical in the professional sport.

anyway , federer didn`t say that he is playing the best tennis of his career , that is an excuse for rafatards or noletards for not admited that a player past his peak and with 30 years old is still defeating young stars.

actually at that RG match Fed player better than at his peak on clay

DrJules
03-19-2012, 07:57 PM

Federer said he is playing the best tennis of his life.

Federer also said he would have beaten Nadal at least once if he had reached both the US Open 2010 and 2011 finals.

Actually I think neither is true.

juan27
03-19-2012, 08:00 PM
actually at that RG match Fed player better than at his peak on clay

mmmmm....

but nole fan said that federer NOW is playing the best tennis , in that sense federer in all his matches against nole he has defeat nole not playing at his best.

anyway , federer played more greates matches in clay like in rome 2006 and many others , federer only played that day like in his peak days and won

venky91
03-19-2012, 08:04 PM

Someone can't read.

Why is this thread even open. Fed never said he's playing the best of his career. It's just speculation from the OP.

Saberq
03-19-2012, 08:04 PM
mmmmm....

but nole fan said that federer NOW is playing the best tennis , in that sense federer in all his matches against nole he has defeat nole not playing at his best.

anyway , federer played more greates matches in clay like in rome 2006 and many others , federer only played that day like in his peak days and won

he never served better on clay in his life than that day....that saved him

samanosuke
03-19-2012, 08:10 PM

and why the fuck they would need excuses when nole beat him. nole isn't neither close to roger's numbers . fed shits on these 5 slams of nole . you can take from fed's sum 5 slams and still would have double as nole . he may lose next 20 times to nole and still they won't go in same sentence . hope this helps

reery
03-19-2012, 08:18 PM
and why the fuck they would need excuses when nole beat him. nole isn't neither close to roger's numbers . fed shits on these 5 slams of nole . you can't take from fed's sum 5 slams and still would have double as nole . he may lose next 20 times to nole and still they won't go in same sentence . hope this helps

Fed(16) = Nadal(10) + Djokovic(5) + Del Potro(1). :lol:

Allez
03-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Poor Roger. He just can't help himself can he :hug: As impressive as his run of form has been of late, it is nowhere near his best :rolleyes:. Clearly he has been following MTF where some clowns with memory issues have been claiming his level is better than it was in 2006 :facepalm:

Without a slam it all amounts to nothing. Best of 5 >>>> Best of 3 ;)

HKz
03-19-2012, 08:29 PM
not bad man.....All in all I had a good time...how you've been?

Clearly better without your bullshittery on the forum.

Yeah, you sure would love that, certainly would make Djokovic's wins over Federer look even more impressive, right?

Either way, as Eden kindly pointed out, clearly the quotes were taken out of context and he is being generous. I mean he isn't going to say he is playing like crap, that would be disrespectful to anyone he beats or whatever.

Looner
03-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Fed is not playing his best tennis ever. What you can (reasonably say assuming you're a reasonable person) is that he's getting the maximum out of his current potential level. That would be accurate but very unlikely for any tard to admit.

green25814
03-19-2012, 08:34 PM
their h2h is lopsided because of delpos injury. after the usopen final delpo went on to beat him at the wtf on one of feds favourite surfaces and would probably go on to dominate him if it wasn't for his injury.

http://onlinefocus.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/you-cannot-be-serious.jpg

Anyway, like others have said I take Fed's opinion more seriously than armchair experts. Though he didn't actually say he's playing his best level ever, he just feels he's playing really well. Which I think most people would agree with.

Personally I think Federer has improved in some areas with age, while he's also declined in a few areas. Overall he's still clearly capable of beating anyone and winning slams. The biggest difference between Fed now and the old Fed is that he's slightly more inconsistent, and capable of tiring towards the back-end of slams.

green25814
03-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Its also a matter of confidence pure and simple. Federer was riding an incredible wave from 04-06. He literally did seem like God, and this messed with his opponents heads. Nadal ended that, he made Fed seem human which has given his opponents a whole load of confidence.

Eden
03-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Without a slam it all amounts to nothing. Best of 5 >>>> Best of 3 ;)

Would Roger loved to have won AO? Of course he would.

Is it nothing that he won the last 2 Master tournaments and the WTF? No. The points which Roger was able to win since the USO last year might be very important for him in the upcoming months.

Allez
03-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Would Roger loved to have won AO? Of course he would.

Is it nothing that he won the last 2 Master tournaments and the WTF? No. The points which Roger was able to win since the USO last year might be very important for him in the upcoming months.

Or they could be his undoing IF he fails to defend them. Bottom line is that he needs to win a slam. Without a slam he should not be part of any debate about who the best player is right now (or whether he is better than he was aged 25). Same thing with Murray. I love them both but I wanna see the receipts! Show us the receipts please ;)

Eden
03-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Or they could be his undoing IF he fails to defend them.

But until then other players are the ones who have a lot of points to defend ;)

Bottom line is that he needs to win a slam. Without a slam he should not be part of any debate about who the best player is right now (or whether he is better than he was aged 25).

Roger never said that he is the best player right now nor did he stated his level is better as a few years ago. Novak won the AO and the most important title since the USO but nevertheless Roger has been on a great run since the USO. He didn't got to play against Novak since then but he was able to win against Rafa, Murray, JMDP etc. So I think he has really deserved all the points he collected and there's nothing wrong in him stating that he plays extremely well since a few months.

Orka_n
03-19-2012, 09:23 PM
All the theories going down the toilet at once. So we can now safely say that Roger is not declining and he is indeed playing the best tennis of his career. Sorry fedfans, you can't use more excuses when Nole and Rafa beat him again. :lol:Except Federer didn't say anything of the sort, he just tried to answer a dumb question in the best way possible. :facepalm:

And the funny thing is that even if he did say he's better than ever, it wouldn't make it true.

Federer has definitely been hitting his backhand nicely in his later years, maybe because he's not able to run around it as much. His serve and forehand are less solid than in his prime, and movement has clearly declined. But his tennis brain seems to have been forced to evolve a bit when he can't win with feel alone.

Let's wait if he finishes this year with only a few losses and 2 or more slams to say if it's equal to 2006. It's pretty silly to say a tennis player is better now than he was in his prime years 6 years ago at 25 based on a handful of results.I agree fully. For starters, Federer right now is probably a better strategist than he has ever been and he obviously knows more about tennis than ever.

But in his prime, he didn't even need strategies (against anyone but Nadal), he was crushing opponents left and right without breaking a sweat. He did not even use the FH dropshot back then, and not because he couldn't play it, but because he thought it was a silly shot. His movement, while still good, has lost its explosive edge these last few years. The quickness that made it possible for him to prepare his forehand a fraction of a second earlier is gone now, which is why the FH is not as deadly anymore. He has needed to adjust his game a little and he's done pretty well doing that so far.

I imagine Federer will continue to age with style, but people here need to get a grip. You'd have to be full on blind to claim he's playing better than ever. He's had a good couple of months to be sure but Peak Fed was almost unbeatable for 4 whole years.

Allez
03-19-2012, 09:30 PM
But until then other players are the ones who have a lot of points to defend ;)

Roger never said that he is the best player right now nor did he stated his level is better as a few years ago. Novak won the AO and the most important title since the USO but nevertheless Roger has been on a great run since the USO. He didn't got to play against Novak since then but he was able to win against Rafa, Murray, JMDP etc. So I think he has really deserved all the points he collected and there's nothing wrong in him stating that he plays extremely well since a few months.

I stand corrected...Just reading some of what the MTFers are saying I got the impression he was over hyping his form. Yes he should be proud of his form. But I just hope he doesn't believe this is the level required to beat the top 2 guys back to back in a best of 5 tournament. He needs to summon JesusFed and although his form has been great since the USO...I haven't yet seen JesusFed. Lots of work to do still ;)

HKz
03-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Except Federer didn't say anything of the sort, he just tried to answer a dumb question in the best way possible. :facepalm:

And the funny thing is that even if he did say he's better than ever, it wouldn't make it true.

I agree fully. For starters, Federer right now is probably a better strategist than he has ever been and he obviously knows more about tennis than ever.

But in his prime, he didn't even need strategies (against anyone but Nadal), he was crushing opponents left and right without breaking a sweat. He did not even use the FH dropshot back then, and not because he couldn't play it, but because he thought it was a silly shot. His movement, while still good, has lost its explosive edge these last few years. The quickness that made it possible for him to prepare his forehand a fraction of a second earlier is gone now, which is why the FH is not as deadly anymore. He has needed to adjust his game a little and he's done pretty well doing that so far.

I imagine Federer will continue to age with style, but people here need to get a grip. You'd have to be full on blind to claim he's playing better than ever. He's had a good couple of months to be sure but Peak Fed was almost unbeatable for 4 whole years.

It is just those Rafatards/Djokotards that want to place Federer so high to make Rafa's and Novak's wins over Roger look even more important and try to add to their belief that this era is strong or whatever.

Roamed
03-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Typical misquote.. journo asked him if he "could be playing better than ever" and he said "I don't know" :rolleyes:

Lately he's just got his confidence back, plus he doesn't have the pressure of 08-09. Very hard to compare to the JesusFed who he lost only 13 times in 3 years however.

LisaKoh
03-19-2012, 10:37 PM

Roger's answer:

Thanks for the original posts. They're very reasonable in context but then again it's not a Nadal tards's style to address the nuances that affect meaning.

Trying to look for sense in Allez86's posts is like expecting a labrador retriever to solve linear equations.

Sunset of Age
03-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Typical misquote.. journo asked him if he "could be playing better than ever" and he said "I don't know" :rolleyes:

Misquote and a lot of consequetive misreading from folks. Welcome to MTF! :hatoff: ;)

Lately he's just got his confidence back, plus he doesn't have the pressure of 08-09. Very hard to compare to the JesusFed who he lost only 13 times in 3 years however.

Pretty much there is no real comparison.
Yes there is the confidence factor, and no more real pressure as he's got nothing left to prove - and he knows it.
But most of all, I think, is that Fed literally oozes happiness nowadays - off-court obviously with his gorgeous family, which I think reflects on his on-court demeanor. :)

Ash86
03-19-2012, 11:57 PM

I agree with that. I admire the fact he has confidence by the way - it's a good thing. It makes him sound silly at times but it works for him. Better than Nadal and his "I'm not the favourite" even when facing some random guy on clay routine... Usually confidence is better than the self-deprecating route Nadal takes. Fed could do with being a bit more humble but confidence is all fine...

And by the way when those quotes were tweeted by journos last night there was no transcript so the question asked wasn't available. Still think Fed when he thinks about it clearly could say "No I'm not playing better now than when I was winning 3 slams a year" but he prefers to be positive all the time so not in his nature to answer that way...

MTwEeZi
03-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Federer will fall

Nole fan
03-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Man, it's so easy to rattle federer fans. That means that something rings true. :lol:

Sunset of Age
03-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Man, it's so easy to rattle federer fans. That means that something rings true. :lol:

Of course, I've never seen you being 'rattled' whenever someone misquotes Djoko. :wavey: