Americans would rather cheer for the foreigners then their own countrymen [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Americans would rather cheer for the foreigners then their own countrymen

SetSampras
03-19-2012, 12:39 AM
Shows ya the shape American Men's tennis is in:rolleyes: Years ago the great american players would get cheered all over the world. Now they can't even get cheered on american soil against players from other countries

swebright
03-19-2012, 12:44 AM
Once in a while, they have a good taste in tennis. Show of tennis intelligence.

They also cheered for Azarenka.

HKz
03-19-2012, 12:47 AM
Because years ago many Americans were at the top of the sport? So then what, you would make a thread asking why those other countries don't cheer for their own players instead of the Americans? Fucking pathetic thread again by SetSampras. In terms of tennis, not nationality, Federer clearly the crowd favorite.

Purple Rainbow
Shows ya the shape American Men's tennis is in:rolleyes: Years ago the great american players would get cheered all over the world. Now they can't even get cheered on american soil against players from other countries

Years ago there actually were great American players.

JediFed
Samprasense tingling.

Federer must be close to breaking one of Sampras' record.

SerialKillerToBe
03-19-2012, 12:48 AM
Once in a while, they have a good taste in tennis. Show of tennis intelligence.

They also cheered for Azarenka.

Well they cheered for John when he played against Djokovic so your point is moot.

Purple Rainbow
03-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Samprasense tingling.

Are there any left??

HKz
03-19-2012, 12:52 AM
Are there any left??

The weeks at number 1 of course is the one being talked about.

solowyn
'the foreigners' :lol:

venky91
So because I was born an American, something I had no control over, that means I must root for an American? Even if said American is absolutely boring to watch?

Yeah, I don't think so.

Clay Death
03-19-2012, 12:54 AM
dr hi rise is very popular here in the states.

cswab22
03-19-2012, 12:54 AM
I don't like most of the Amercian players attitude. That is why I don't support them :shrug:

Purple Rainbow
03-19-2012, 12:55 AM
So because I was born an American, something I had no control over, that means I must root for an American? Even if said American is absolutely boring to watch?

Yeah, I don't think so.

You bleeding heart scumbag liberal freedom hating commie bastard! If you don't like 'Merka, get the hell out!
Now wave that flag, plegde allegiance and root for Isner/Querrey while you still can!

Kat_YYZ
03-19-2012, 12:55 AM
why just pick on Americans? I've seen Fed (and some other players) supported equally (or greater than) home players in other countries as well :shrug:

Samprasense tingling.

:yeah:

BigJohn
03-19-2012, 12:57 AM
Samprasense tingling.

:haha:

Macbrother
People actually give a shit about stuff like this?

Purple Rainbow

The way Fed is playing, he'll regain the number one spot somewhere this year.

SetSampras
Pick on Americans? Heck I'm american.. Thats like picking on myself. Its sad and shallow. But at the same time it appears these players are beginning to lose all credibility with the american tennis fans

BigJohn
03-19-2012, 12:58 AM
It actually makes you guys look a lot better than when you go U-S-A! U-S-A!

Time Violation
03-19-2012, 12:59 AM
Another quality thread brought to you by SetSampras :lol:

BigJohn
03-19-2012, 01:00 AM
People actually give a shit about stuff like this?

This is what this thread is all about:

Samprasense tingling.

venky91
03-19-2012, 01:00 AM
Congratulations SetSampras, you are more American than all of us. This deeply and profoundly bothers me. I won't be able to sleep at night.

BigJohn
03-19-2012, 01:01 AM
Another quality thread brought to you by SetSampras :lol:

Define quality...

fast_clay
03-19-2012, 01:02 AM
thread need moar J-Block

Macbrother
03-19-2012, 01:03 AM
thread need moar J-Block

:lol:

I miss the threads bitching about them.

Time Violation
03-19-2012, 01:04 AM
Define quality...

It's called irony :p

BigJohn
03-19-2012, 01:08 AM
It's called irony :p

What's that? :confused:

cmoss
03-19-2012, 01:12 AM
Frenchs and Americans are exactly the same.

Some of the crueliest fans in the world.They could cheer any guys but suddently turn around 180' and cheer other guys.No matter whether he is their countrymen.

Filo V.
03-19-2012, 01:15 AM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llsdfpxoYr1qz7fz0o1_500.jpg

Roddickominator
03-19-2012, 01:21 AM
That's only really the case with some of the top players. Most everywhere people cheer for Roger and Rafa. You will indeed hear random cheering for lower ranked foreign players here in America against an American, but not overwhelming support by any means.

Just hope that there are never any successful Mexican or Filipino players. Their fans are rabid and would probably travel all over America every week during those swings just to cheer their players.

Time Violation
03-19-2012, 01:26 AM
What's that? :confused:

The thing that Sapeod still doesn't get :p

Bagelicious
03-19-2012, 01:28 AM
Congratulations SetSampras, you are more American than all of us. This deeply and profoundly bothers me. I won't be able to sleep at night.

:lol: I love how SetSampras manages to sneak in some anti-Fed sentiments under the guise of patriotism, trying to make all American tennis fans feel bad.

SheepleBuster
03-19-2012, 01:39 AM

Because Americans are waking up and realizing that nationalism is a cancer. All nationalists need to be rounded-up and sent to FEMA camps.

I am SheepleBuster and I approve this message. :devil:

cmoss
03-19-2012, 01:46 AM
The Canadians in this forum support Raonic all the times.;) And the Japaneses,they're supporting Kei Nishikori to death.

nellis_lv
03-19-2012, 01:46 AM
I think if you're going to be proud as an American, you're better off finding a much better reason than tennis.

I like serve-bots but Isner is a serve-bot and kind of a pusher, as well (not a good combination). He was perfectly happy going for the same shot, over and over again, whilst Fed was mixing it up offensively and with variety. I had to root for Roger.

That, and I like the canadian serve-bot better. Milos is more offensive and looks to be a lot more focused and ambitious, as well.

BigJohn
03-19-2012, 02:03 AM
The Canadians in this forum support Raonic all the times.;) And the Japaneses,they're supporting Kei Nishikori to death.

At the Rogers's Cup last year, Pospisil vs Fed. The crowd was cheering good shots. And both players...

rocketassist
03-19-2012, 02:06 AM
I think if you're going to be proud as an American, you're better off finding a much better reason than tennis.

I like serve-bots but Isner is a serve-bot and kind of a pusher, as well (not a good combination). He was perfectly happy going for the same shot, over and over again, whilst Fed was mixing it up offensively and with variety. I had to root for Roger.

That, and I like the canadian serve-bot better. Milos is more offensive and looks to be a lot more focused and ambitious, as well.

Isner is an aggressive baseliner who uses the forehand to attack and the backhand as a rally shot.

Roddickominator
03-19-2012, 02:18 AM
Lol Isner a pusher. That's a new one.

Geo
03-19-2012, 02:18 AM
Federer is popular all over the world :lol: no surprise. It annoys me whenever a crowd blindly cheers for the home player, even if he sucks or is a jerk. Isner seems like a decent guy though, and as his ranking goes up, he'll get a lot more support in the US.

SheepleBuster
03-19-2012, 02:26 AM
Isner is a nobody. 10 years from now, he may be more famous than Roddick but not by a whole lot. He won't ever win a slam, American or not. Listen. This is tennis. Not sport to see who is taller.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
03-19-2012, 02:37 AM
patriotism and joining the military are the 2 worst evils ever known to man

idiots fighting over invisble land divisions
and idiots killing others for the sake of peace

americans are the worst offenders

a bunch of ethnic european and africans living on blood money land- cheering for any shit shovelling asshole as long as he wears the red white and blue

BIGMARAT
03-19-2012, 02:43 AM
OMG! I didnt know I'm not allowed to cheer for Nole or Federer because I'm american!!

nellis_lv
03-19-2012, 02:45 AM
Isner is an aggressive baseliner who uses the forehand to attack and the backhand as a rally shot.

I think anyone who watched the match could sense that he was in full-on "let's hope Fed goes for his shots and wait for the error" mode throughout.

It's true that he might not yet be in Gilles Simon territory, but he makes other big servers look like Golubev.

nellis_lv
03-19-2012, 02:58 AM
patriotism and joining the military are the 2 worst evils ever known to man

idiots fighting over invisble land divisions
and idiots killing others for the sake of peace

americans are the worst offenders

a bunch of ethnic european and africans living on blood money land- cheering for any shit shovelling asshole as long as he wears the red white and blue

I think your hatred runs pretty deep.

Sri
03-19-2012, 03:25 AM
They were not cheering for any regular top tennis player .. Federer transcends nationalities..

tripwires
03-19-2012, 06:56 AM
Thread title should be changed to "Americans would rather cheer for Federer than their own countrymen". The crowd seemed to cheer for Isner pretty hard against Djokovic. Rogi's just well-liked everywhere and the fact that he's in the twilight years of his career has probably endeared him to casual tennis fans even more.

tennis2tennis
03-19-2012, 07:04 AM
I sort of like the idea of cheering for your countryman if he/she is a young and upcoming player to motivate them but not for the journeyman type of player whose refusing to as the Americans would say "step up to the plate"...

One thing I have noticed is that Roger has unprecedented type of popularity I've had the honour of watching him play in 4 different countries - I watched him in Madrid, Paris, London, Rome and he always received amazing support - I've seen Germans, Italians, Arabs, Brazilians and Chinese fans not only hold up Federer banners but the Swiss flag!

My cousin has what he calls the Swiss theory that as a country Switzerland is neutral we don't have beef with many countries and that might make if a little easy for the nationalist kind of supporter to support a swissman.
Take Novak he's attractive, funny, and a great player but some people (idiots) who might actually deep down like his style of tennis refuse to support him purely based on the fact that he's a Serb.

leng jai
03-19-2012, 07:25 AM
I sort of like the idea of cheering for your countryman if he/she is a young and upcoming player to motivate them but not for the journeyman type of player whose refusing to as the Americans would say "step up to the plate"...

One thing I have noticed is that Roger has unprecedented type of popularity I've had the honour of watching him play in 4 different countries - I watched him in Madrid, Paris, London, Rome and he always received amazing support - I've seen Germans, Italians, Arabs, Brazilians and Chinese fans not only hold up Federer banners but the Swiss flag!

My cousin has what he calls the Swiss theory that as a country Switzerland is neutral we don't have beef with many countries and that might make if a little easy for the nationalist kind of supporter to support a swissman.
Take Novak he's attractive, funny, and a great player but some people (idiots) who might actually deep down like his style of tennis refuse to support him purely based on the fact that he's a Serb.

Negative.

Mystique
03-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Whine harder SetSampras :lol:
Gee this is fun. Make it last a LONG LONG time please Roger. We have earned this ;)

leng jai
03-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Whine harder SetSampras :lol:
Gee this is fun. Make it last a LONG LONG time please Roger. We have earned this ;)

Actually I don't think fans of players actually earn anything mate. They just get what they get regardless.

Ajde.

Kat_YYZ
03-19-2012, 09:30 AM

I like Milos, but in their IW match I was cheering for Roger :shrug:

@Sweet Cleopatra
03-19-2012, 09:32 AM
I will support Rafa even if he plays against my mother. I will like if Rafa let her win cause she's old and a woman, but you get what I mean.

navy75
03-19-2012, 09:36 AM
This is an interesting thread because it combines greater political thought processes with tennis. In short, as someone who has covered tennis tournaments and travelled to tournaments throughout the world as a player's companion and fan, the OP is absolutely right.

I think that there are several reasons for this. First of all, the USA is an extremely self-loathing country. Many people born and raised here are American apologists on both sides of the political spectrum, and the discourse in modern American society has become increasingly hostile and polarizing. Secondly, the vast majority of people who are American in nationality place their ethnicity/national origin first and foremost. While people may be here for better opportunities, they still consider themselves something else first. I've been to many matches in Miami where any player from Spain/Central America will have three quarters of the crowd rooting for them over an American, but have also been to many random spots where a bunch of people of a particular nationality will show up and root against an American player.

Thirdly, a lot of American players right now are just not particularly nice people. Isner is the only player right now from the US in the top 100 that is personally likable, although the jury is still out on Harrison and Kudla. Finally, a lot of it is looking at other places as more exotic. America is an extremely hostile and abrasive country, and thus we are more likely to look at our with great skeptisicm from the very beginning.

Time Violation
03-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Actually I don't think fans of players actually earn anything mate. They just get what they get regardless.

Well done Captain Obvious Ajde :p

HKz
03-19-2012, 09:49 AM
I will support Rafa even if he plays with my mother. I will like if Rafa let her win cause she's old and a woman, but you get what I mean.

:stupid:

Commander Data
03-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Thank god some people are beyond silly nationalism and can appreciate a true legend aka GOAT.

suckit SetSamprass

Purple Rainbow
03-19-2012, 11:47 AM
I will support Rafa even if he plays with my mother. I will like if Rafa let her win cause she's old and a woman, but you get what I mean.

I get what you mean, Rafa playing with your mother. I just wish I didn't get it..

@Sweet Cleopatra
03-19-2012, 12:01 PM
I edited the post. Sorry English isnt my 1* language..

nobama
03-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Thread title should be changed to "Americans would rather cheer for Federer than their own countrymen". The crowd seemed to cheer for Isner pretty hard against Djokovic. Rogi's just well-liked everywhere and the fact that he's in the twilight years of his career has probably endeared him to casual tennis fans even more.
The OP hates Roger. If it had been #2 that the fans wee cheering for yesterday said poster wouldn't give a shit.

green25814
03-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Isner got great support all week. Federer however is a player who gets cheered no matter what, wherever he is. Hell, he's been cheered over Brits at Wimbledon, French at Roland Garros, Aussies at the AO. He's one of the most popular players of all time.

cmoss
03-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Conclusion,Isner is a nice man with nice personality ,the most likeable American player at the moment,and people should support him.:o

Everything has its cycle.The Americans should not live with their old dream about the era that Americans ruled tennis,it's changed.

rob_z
03-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Many people born and raised here are American apologists on both sides of the political spectrum, and the discourse in modern American society has become increasingly hostile and polarizing.

Do people from one side of the political spectre like tennis more than people from the other side of the spectre? What I try to say is: Is there in the United States some combination between political favour and favourite sport? I sometimes have the feeling conservatives favour sports like baseball or American football. And it sometimes appears if it are people from the political centre or liberals who like tennis. Is that true or false? Or are there also many conservatives who love tennis?

Kworb
03-19-2012, 01:05 PM
It's because tennis is an individual sport, the nationality doesn't matter that much. That's the beauty of tennis. In most sports people automatically root for their own country, because nothing else sets the athlete apart (other than results). In tennis you have personality, game style, etc.

So it's natural that even Americans would root for the variety and beauty of Federer's game, and root against the ugly all serve game of Isner.

Mystique
03-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Isner got great support all week. Federer however is a player who gets cheered no matter what, wherever he is. Hell, he's been cheered over Brits at Wimbledon, French at Roland Garros, Aussies at the AO. He's one of the most popular players of all time.

Nah, the Brits dont fawn over GOAT that much really. At least at SW19.
Somehow, Fed brings the house down in the O2 arena and gets far more support than Andy Murray too. Weird. Maybe because he has won a ton of Wimbledon titles already.
But yeah, I do think Wimbledon is the slam where he gets relatively (key word) lesser support than the other slams, especially compared to Roland Garros (ah how they love him there in Paris :inlove:) and Australia (great sporting crowd who appreciate genius when they see it:yeah:)

LisaKoh
03-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Nah, the Brits dont fawn over GOAT that much really. At least at SW19.
Somehow, Fed brings the house down in the O2 arena and gets far more support than Andy Murray too. Weird. Maybe because he has won a ton of Wimbledon titles already.
But yeah, I do think Wimbledon is the slam where he gets relatively (key word) lesser support than the other slams, especially compared to Roland Garros (ah how they love him there in Paris :inlove:) and Australia (great sporting crowd who appreciate genius when they see it:yeah:)

Not against Nadal though. The crowd was surprisingly pro-Nadal in Australia this year.

Against Hewitt and Tomic though... Lots of Aussies don't seem to like them much (just an observation) so they root for Federer.

Mystique
03-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Not against Nadal though. The crowd was surprisingly pro-Nadal in Australia this year.

Against Hewitt and Tomic though... Lots of Aussies don't seem to like them much (just an observation) so they root for Federer.

Really? I doubt that, sorry. Or else my memory fails me.

thrust
03-19-2012, 02:14 PM

YE at #1: Sampras-6, Federer-5

thrust
03-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Conclusion,Isner is a nice man with nice personality ,the most likeable American player at the moment,and people should support him.:o

Everything has its cycle.The Americans should not live with their old dream about the era that Americans ruled tennis,it's changed.

Good post! Did not see the match yesterday, but if the crowd was supporting Roger, that would be disgraceful.

gulzhan
03-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Federer isn't a foreigner for USA as he isn't for France.

I am pretty sure though that Australians would cheer for Hewitt as Brits would cheer for Murray. I am also sure Russians would cheer for Kolya/Misha. In case of Marat, 100% of Russian crowd would cheer for him.

So, to think about this, the guy does have a point :shrug:

Art&Soul
03-19-2012, 02:34 PM
But the American not cheer for the foreigner Djokovic, right? Just because FedGOAT is the most popular player ever and he's always the crowd's favorite everywhere he plays, not just in America. So you should get used to it ;)

Forehander
03-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Lol don't be so rattled. There's still a long way till Federer can regain the number one spot again. Nadal and Djokovic aren't sitting ducks and though Federer is finding form recently his slow footwork makes him lack pure consistency.

cmoss
03-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Agree that tennis is not a nationalistic sport like football.In football people will support their teams to death,even if these teams play like a joke.

But Isner is a notable individual,with nice personality,someone haven't appeared for a while in the US.If there is a player like that in Japan,China... people would cheer for him in full force.:rolleyes:

IMO the Americans still living with their past glories,when Connor,Sampras,Agassi... were dominating the game.Because of that,they think their current players are all useless mugs.:o

SheepleBuster
03-19-2012, 03:05 PM
I don't support any tennis player as an individual. They can go all to hell for all I care. I do enjoy the art of making shots.

Purple Rainbow
03-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Good post! Did not see the match yesterday, but if the crowd was supporting Roger, that would be disgraceful.

The crowd were supporting tennis, not one player over the other. That's the way it should be and not often is in sports.

As another poster said, it makes you lot look a lot better than sheepishly shouting "USA, USA" over and over again.

LisaKoh
03-20-2012, 01:24 AM
Really? I doubt that, sorry. Or else my memory fails me.

First-hand evidence. :yeah:

HKz
03-20-2012, 01:37 AM
YE at #1: Sampras-6, Federer-5

If Federer somehow manages to grab the number one ranking this season, there is certainly a chance to end the year as 1. Both are obviously quite far to reach either way.

thrust
03-20-2012, 01:44 AM
The crowd were supporting tennis, not one player over the other. That's the way it should be and not often is in sports.

As another poster said, it makes you lot look a lot better than sheepishly shouting "USA, USA" over and over again.

Well, thats good. Americans have good reason to like and cheer for Roger when he makes a good shot against an American. In that American's don't win many important tournaments lately, I think Americans should root for an American on home ground, especially if he is a nice guy like Isner seems to be. I rooted against McEnroe most of the time due to his horrible court behavior. I usually rooted against Connors too.

BigJohn
03-20-2012, 03:00 AM
Well, thats good. Americans have good reason to like and cheer for Roger when he makes a good shot against an American. In that American's don't win many important tournaments lately, I think Americans should root for an American on home ground, especially if he is a nice guy like Isner seems to be. I rooted against McEnroe most of the time due to his horrible court behavior. I usually rooted against Connors too.

I think thinking like this is rather lame...

star
03-20-2012, 03:11 AM
I don’t know how it came across on TV, but sitting in the crowd it seemed as if there was more cheering for Isner than for Federer. Of course, more cheering for Fed against Isner then for Nole against Isner.

heya
03-20-2012, 05:58 AM
some fanatics don't appreciate that there are greedy, stupid, deranged, guilt-ridden former top United States players who either don't care about doing great things
or do little other than make free money,
and verbally abuse people that have less money and publicity than them.
these players couldn't win slams
because they thought long schedules/success interfere with
their lives with their intentionally phoney, manipulative, greedy friends and family.

heya
03-20-2012, 06:46 AM
This is an interesting thread because it combines greater political thought processes with tennis. In short, as someone who has covered tennis tournaments and travelled to tournaments throughout the world as a player's companion and fan, the OP is absolutely right.

I think that there are several reasons for this. First of all, the USA is an extremely self-loathing country. Many people born and raised here are American apologists on both sides of the political spectrum, and the discourse in modern American society has become increasingly hostile and polarizing. Secondly, the vast majority of people who are American in nationality place their ethnicity/national origin first and foremost. While people may be here for better opportunities, they still consider themselves something else first. I've been to many matches in Miami where any player from Spain/Central America will have three quarters of the crowd rooting for them over an American, but have also been to many random spots where a bunch of people of a particular nationality will show up and root against an American player.

Thirdly, a lot of American players right now are just not particularly nice people. Isner is the only player right now from the US in the top 100 that is personally likable, although the jury is still out on Harrison and Kudla. Finally, a lot of it is looking at other places as more exotic. America is an extremely hostile and abrasive country, and thus we are more likely to look at our with great skeptisicm from the very beginning.

wise observation.
you can tell who's smart and well-taught as a person and player. isner doesn't beg for artificial love just because he played for the US and has more money than many celebrities.

only people who read nothing about tennis players' personalities cheer for them based on only how they slice the ball, and their slam count and obsession with breaking "world records".

mike s.
03-20-2012, 07:16 AM
Do people from one side of the political spectre like tennis more than people from the other side of the spectre? What I try to say is: Is there in the United States some combination between political favour and favourite sport? I sometimes have the feeling conservatives favour sports like baseball or American football. And it sometimes appears if it are people from the political centre or liberals who like tennis. Is that true or false? Or are there also many conservatives who love tennis?

They did a study on this and tennis does actually tend to have slightly more liberal supporters than the average American which sort of surprised me. American football (NFL) and baseball are right down the middle (both liberals and conservatives like them). The most "conservative" sports were Golf, Nascar, and College football. Regardless, I think people have this misconception in general that Americans are more patriotic than other countries which really isn't the case at all, particularly when it comes to sports. For example, I'm pretty sure the average person in most other countries cares a lot more about their athletes winning an Olympic gold than the average American does. Sure, Americans get excited about the Olympics and the World Cup etc. but I don't think it's at the same level as other countries.

Really though, in this case, I think it's just because Federer is unique in the tennis world. I think if Isner had been playing anyone else, the crowd would have been completely behind him.

raskolnikow
03-20-2012, 09:53 AM

Federer is not just "someone from another country". He is perceived as a universal legend; he transcends the boundaries that force us into nationalist sentiments.