Withdrawing from Indian Wells and Miami-----and playing challengers in-between. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Withdrawing from Indian Wells and Miami-----and playing challengers in-between.

Filo V.
03-18-2012, 09:13 PM
So, my favorite player Filippo Volandri had some physical issues after the Sao Paulo tournament and lost badly in Buenos Aires and Acapulco, not able to put forth performances due to a right ankle injury. So, Filippo withdrew from Indian Wells, but he entered the Rabat challenger to be played in Morocco in-between Indian Wells and Miami. He made the finals of Rabat, and although he took a medical timeout in his SF match vs Kuznetsov, receiving treatment on the ankle, he didn't show any obvious signs of injury.

Today, Filippo withdrew from Miami. But he is entered into the Barletta challenger to be played in two weeks time. So, what's the dilemma? Here we have a guy who withdrew from the two mandatory events on hardcourt in favor of playing two clay court challengers. What do you think about this? Personally, I have absolutely no issue with it because if Pippo is dealing with any ankle issue, playing on hardcourt will make it worse than playing on clay. Especially given the fact Pippo cannot win on hardcourt. He's 9-49 in his career on hardcourt. So, I see no issue with him choosing the challengers over the two mandatories.

Do you think Volandri should be penalized for doing this? Should the ATP look into why he's withdrawn from Indian Wells and Miami? Do you think anything could actually be done if the ATP wanted to investigate?

hotdog
03-18-2012, 09:17 PM
The ATP won't do anything just like they haven't with all those matches he has "allegedly" fixed over the years.;)

156mphserve
03-18-2012, 09:18 PM
I think you should find a new favorite player:)

finishingmove
03-18-2012, 09:23 PM
If someone withdraws with injury, he should not be allowed to enter a different tournament in the same week.

Given as it is, it's ok unless double standards arise (if the ATP starts suddenly fining some players for doing the same)

hotdog
03-18-2012, 09:24 PM
He hasn't.

Filo V.
03-18-2012, 09:27 PM
He hasn't done that, Arsen, not necessarily, at least. What's going on is, basically, Filippo has entered two events while withdrawing from two mandatory events. He's playing events while simultaneously withdrawing from events due to a supposed injury. So obviously, there is a bit of a conundrum there. Is Pippo actually injured or is he just not wanting to play on hardcourt. It wouldn't be a huge issue if Indian Wells and Miami were not mandatory events, but they are.

hotdog
03-18-2012, 09:30 PM
He's done nothing wrong. He has an injury.

finishingmove
03-18-2012, 09:33 PM
It's not a huge issue even as it is, unless the ATP starts selectively investigating and punishing players for similar things...

I don't think the other players care much for this either...

hotdog
03-18-2012, 09:34 PM
What's the issue? Volandri is allowed to play the challengers even if he played in IW and Miami.

Filo V.
He's done nothing wrong. He has an injury.

I agree.

superandy88
Do you think Volandri should be penalized for doing this? Should the ATP look into why he's withdrawn from Indian Wells and Miami? Do you think anything could actually be done if the ATP wanted to investigate?

He gets penalized. He gets two 0's in the rankings.

Filo V.
03-18-2012, 09:37 PM
It's not a huge issue even as it is, unless the ATP starts selectively investigating and punishing players for similar things...

I don't think the other players care much for this either...

I totally agree, personally, I don't see the issue whatsoever. He does have an injury, and he's chosen the events that are more palatable for he to play. And I definitely doubt the players care much if at all. But, it's something that could have others thinking differently than we may, I'm curious to see if everyone thinks the way I do or if they consider it an actual issue that should be investigated.

Filo V.
03-18-2012, 09:41 PM
He gets penalized. He gets two 0's in the rankings.That's also true and this is definitely harmful to Filippo as he's going to have to do extra in his other events to erase the damage of these two zero-pointers.

Filo V.
03-18-2012, 09:48 PM

Hell no, Pippo has always been my #1 and always will be.

ossie
03-19-2012, 12:20 AM
So, my favorite player Filippo Volandri
there is your problem

Smoke944
03-19-2012, 12:21 AM

:rolleyes:

fast_clay
03-19-2012, 12:34 AM
the players in the draw of Miami should rightly be outraged as they DO play in a mandatory event, while the absence of Volandri in the Miami draw denies those same players of facing a bye

Roddickominator
03-19-2012, 12:40 AM
I would be pissed if I were a player in IW or Miami. I'd rather play Volandri than some possible actual dangerous player.

Filo V.
03-19-2012, 01:04 AM
Because he's a top 30-40 clay court player who plays around 90% of his matches in a season on the surface.

Action Jackson
03-19-2012, 01:34 AM
It's bad for players who were to face Volandri in these events.

fast_clay
03-19-2012, 01:44 AM
personally speaking i don't agree with what volandri is doing at all... sure, the atp is run by a cabal of champion gimps but that doesn't give yourself the right to write your own rules... one in, all in... i would not p!ss on volandri even if he was on fire

finishingmove
03-19-2012, 02:40 AM
How would he be penalized if he just refused to play without any mention of injury?

v-money
03-19-2012, 02:49 AM
Don't like Volandri at all after he stole my money in that match vs. Gabashvilli in St. Pete 2010, but I have absolutely no problem with him skipping masters. If anything, I support the idea because I know that those matches are very likely to be clean and not predetermined.

Kat_YYZ
03-19-2012, 03:09 AM
I would be pissed if I were a player in IW or Miami. I'd rather play Volandri than some possible actual dangerous player.

but don't they just replace him with someone even worse ranked (who wouldn't have otherwise gotten direct entry), who would also be an easy opponent? :scratch:

On one hand, there are a lot of players eager to be in range of getting direct entry to M1000 tournaments. They have ambitions. This system encourages the top 50 (or 60, 70) to be good on all surfaces; that's a good thing. It does seem wrong for someone to try to maintain that ranking by getting cheap points at Challengers and avoiding certain surfaces and tough opponents.

On the other hand, the system's not perfect as we know from the income inequality debate. Poor prize money for lower rounds in mandatory events, in a place like Miami where it's probably hard to find a cheap place to stay. Tough call. :scratch: :shrug:

Ibracadabra
03-19-2012, 04:32 AM
Tough call. It's possible to wake up and feel better the next day

Arkulari
03-19-2012, 05:27 AM
but don't they just replace him with someone even worse ranked (who wouldn't have otherwise gotten direct entry), who would also be an easy opponent? :scratch:

On one hand, there are a lot of players eager to be in range of getting direct entry to M1000 tournaments. They have ambitions. This system encourages the top 50 (or 60, 70) to be good on all surfaces; that's a good thing. It does seem wrong for someone to try to maintain that ranking by getting cheap points at Challengers and avoiding certain surfaces and tough opponents.

On the other hand, the system's not perfect as we know from the income inequality debate. Poor prize money for lower rounds in mandatory events, in a place like Miami where it's probably hard to find a cheap place to stay. Tough call. :scratch: :shrug:

it's really hard to find someone worse than Filippo "I have no serve" Volandri in hard courts :lol: maybe a 14 year old Futures player? :p

Helevorn
03-19-2012, 10:47 AM
it's really hard to find someone worse than Filippo "I have no serve" Volandri in hard courts :lol: maybe a 14 year old Futures player? :p

true :lol: he's probably the best bye on every hard court tournament

Lopez
03-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Volandri has always seemed to be a bit of an a-hole :shrug:

Filo V.
03-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Pippo is actually known as a really nice guy and quiet............he just hates hardcourts :lol:

Nat is right, it's very hard to find someone at this level who is as essentially hopeless off clay as Volandri is. But Pippo is an old-school clay-courter, and old-school clay players didn't put any focus or attention on events outside of clay.

Dougie
03-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Personally I think it sucks, you´re either injured or not, shouldn´t depend on the tournament. But, since we´re talking about VOlandri (who really is quite hopeless on hard courts) deciding to play a challenger in north-Africa, there´s no need to make a big fuzz over it.

guichard
03-19-2012, 04:14 PM
He is getting Mandatory Zero so he is not "beneffiting" from it

motorhead
03-19-2012, 06:38 PM
The ATP won't do anything just like they haven't with all those matches he has "allegedly" fixed over the years.;)

:lol:

motorhead
03-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Up to which ranking position are masters mandatory?

156mphserve
03-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Up to which ranking position are masters mandatory?

up to all players who can get directly in. That number will be higher for IW and Miami as they have more direct entries.