Rank one handed backhands in terms of topspin potential? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rank one handed backhands in terms of topspin potential?

out_grinder
03-18-2012, 04:26 AM
I think Federer hits way more topspin on the backhand than people think. Look at this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWoKA21Bm4k

...almost a reverse-follow through backhand.

This is probably the one true advantage of a one-handed backhand - ability to generate more topspin because of the longer and free-er stroke. 2-handers almost all hit it flat.

Anyway, in terms of the other pro's Wawrinka always looks to me like he hits it flat, and Kohlschreiber, despite having an extreme grip, rarely follows through with the forearm supinating, therefore he hits quite flat too, yet is stable on high balls.

Almagro and Gasquet's look loopier in general. Federer surprisingly seems to hit as much topspin as them, despite having a much more conservative grip.

Not sure about Kuerten. Does anyone have links to HQ footage of him? He is very interesting as he's said to be the only player to use a full semi-western backhand grip (most extreme backhand grip). Most players with extreme 1hbh grips use an in-between of an eastern and semi-western grip - therefore Kuerten's backhand may well have had the most spin of them all.

Action Jackson
03-18-2012, 04:35 AM
Almagro hits with more topspin than Federer on bh side.

Corretja and Gaudio, two fine single handed backhands.

xXmJxMMmPtw

Rj4xiKFkaIY

tV0kJdfKmYE

Haelfix
03-18-2012, 05:02 AM
1 handed backhands typically generate more power than a 2handed bh as they are able to achieve higher racquet head speed from a kinetic chain point of view. So this applies both to topspin, as well as flat power (depending on how you hit it, and with what grip). The reason you don't see this happen in practise as much, is b/c in order to hit that type of 1hander, it requires a longer preperation than a 2hander and typically you don't have that type of time in a game situation and sometimes this can lead to weak scrunched shots. Although the Wawrinkas and Gasquets of the world often will sit back 5 feet behind the baseline in order to crank out those huge shots.

The great versatility with a 2hander, is they are able to control the racquet better, and are thus able to generate decent power and angles with a very compact swing, typically taking it earlier than a 1hander. So its often the case that in practise, you see a 2hander with higher average speeds, simply b/c they are able to hit more shots correctly.

HKz
03-18-2012, 06:42 AM
I always thought one-handers could generate more spin than two-handed backhands. I mean take a look at some of Kuerten's backhands. They used to jump off the court like Nadal's forehand.

Action Jackson
03-18-2012, 07:14 AM
Kuerten vs. Safin from RG and HKz is right. Bruguera was a 2H with a very heavy backhand.

cl3Pm4qFFhs

out_grinder
09-21-2012, 08:03 PM
It would be interesting to hear who you think hit the most topspin off of the backhand out of Gasquet, Almagro and Kuerten?

Is there any RPM data for topspin backhands?

There only seems to be one study: Nadal's forehand.

Haelfix
09-21-2012, 08:51 PM
All three of those guys probably hit the most spinny 1handers on tour. If I had to guess, i'd probably say Gasquet's generates the most racket head speed and translates into the most rpm.

Even though its not been that long, Kuerten played in an era where the string tech wasnt quite what it is today, and so I don't think he could put on as much as the other two.

Tag
09-21-2012, 09:09 PM
blake, henman, becker

on a serious note, kuerten, wawrinka, lendl

PoorMan'sDavy
09-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Wawrinka hits his BH with as much or more topspin as anyone. Can hit it flat as well but really whips the racket across the ball (supinates... ) for spin.

out_grinder
09-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Wawrinka's backhand seemed a flatter shot to me.

He has a conservative grip, yet compensates for this with brute force against high balls.

Dimitrov also has a very conservative grip (continental!), but seems to somehow generate quite a loopy backhand.

In this battle of the backhands, who is hitting more spin off that wing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXCKvawrmuY

Forehander
09-22-2012, 06:49 AM
I've seen Dudi, Wawrinka, Kohlschreiber, Kuerten, Haas live and none of them even come close to Richard Gasquet's backhand when it comes to top spin generation and explosiveness.

paseo
09-22-2012, 09:06 AM
The Warlocq.

TBkeeper
09-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Tsonga has the most vicious topspin on his one-handed backhand but it's so vicious it goes into the net !

out_grinder
09-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Has anyone noticed that when Federer really goes for the supination on the backhand, he can hit it with as much topspin (or more) as a modern forehand;

(5.31 here);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VeZjBFyDnSo#t=330s

(1.17 here);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-qmqLnu0Aq8#t=73s

(whole video);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWoKA21Bm4k

It would be cool if he hit like that more often, especially in backhand-to-backhand rallies, where he'll usually have the clear advantage in topspin production capabilities over the vast majority of right-handed 2hbh players to open up more angles cross-court. Apparently, this was the key tactic he used to beat Murray in the 2010 AO final.

Are there videos of anyone else doing stuff like that off the backhand wing (either one-handed or two-handed)?

Is it possible to do this sort of thing with a two-hander? If so, who does it, and are there videos?

Lopez
09-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Federer has always been able to create a lot of spin with his backhand. The problem is that his drive backhand is weaker, which enables many opponents to neutralize rallies when they hit a ball to his backhand.

Also, because he hits with so much spin (and wrist) he shanks balls when his timing is off.

Sri
09-28-2012, 04:12 AM
Is it possible to do this sort of thing with a two-hander? If so, who does it, and are there videos?

Single hand (BH or FH) will always create more topspin due to the lose, whippy wrist motion.

On a side note, I think we might someday see a player with two forehands, a left handed and right handed.

Topspindoctor
09-28-2012, 04:16 AM
FWoKA21Bm4k

...And if Nadal hit a BH like that, Noserer fans would call it moonballing :o

Sri
09-28-2012, 04:21 AM
...And if Nadal hit a BH like that, Noserer fans would call it moonballing

Being silly again?

It's only moonballing if you do it for a vast majority of your shots.

BroTree123
09-28-2012, 04:42 AM
What a guy :hearts:

Andy1402
09-28-2012, 05:45 AM
Federer can produce amazing top spin on his BH..However, his drive BH is a very vulnerable shot on the slow surfaces ( everywhere except Wimbledon). That is why he generally loses those backhand rallies..

feuselino
09-28-2012, 06:43 AM
So he hits these heavy top spin backhands, which very often land maybe 1 meter behind the net, on purpose? I always thought those were mishits...

out_grinder
09-28-2012, 08:49 AM
FWoKA21Bm4k

...And if Nadal hit a BH like that, Noserer fans would call it moonballing :o

You are a rubbish troll.

When Nadal was doing these backhands to Djokovic on clay in 2011, he was literally just scooping the ball with an open racket face, low racket head speed and lobbing the baseline. Out of desperation, to give Djokovic a different kind of ball. Height + little spin = moonball. He was also doing them from a defensive standpoint to try and buy himself more time to get back into a rally. It didn't work because Djoker just stepped in and crushed them early.

When Federer hits those backhands, it is with a closed racket face and high racket head acceleration. Height + heavy spin = topspin loop. Federer is also hitting it from an offensive standpoint, trying to angle his opponent off the court.

out_grinder
09-28-2012, 08:53 AM
Federer can produce amazing top spin on his BH..However, his drive BH is a very vulnerable shot on the slow surfaces ( everywhere except Wimbledon). That is why he generally loses those backhand rallies..

Usually the guys that hit amazing topspin off the 1hbh are better on topspin-orientated surfaces like clay and less good on grass.

I suppose Fed is the exception to the rule (though he may be one of the best ever on clay if Nadal didn't exist).

It would be interesting to see Federer try to hit his heavy topspin backhand when against the Nadal forehand, instead of trying to drive through it all the time. What do you think would happen if he tried that?

Andy1402
09-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Usually the guys that hit amazing topspin off the 1hbh are better on topspin-orientated surfaces like clay and less good on grass.

I suppose Fed is the exception to the rule (though he may be one of the best ever on clay if Nadal didn't exist).

It would be interesting to see Federer try to hit his heavy topspin backhand when against the Nadal forehand, instead of trying to drive through it all the time. What do you think would happen if he tried that?

I don't think federer drives through on all his backhands. In fact, in most rallies he tries to mix it up with a combination of top spin and sttaight power.
Nadal, however, is a master of producing top spin on his FH! I don't think federer's BH would last long against that. Federer's best chance against nadal is when he gets the ball on FH side so he can produce powerful shots to neutralize nadal's top spin..
Just my opinion based on what I've seen. Feel free to correct me if i have made a mistake.
BTW, i don't think federer is the exception to the rule. He just fails against nadal on clay..

NameNumber
09-29-2012, 05:51 AM
Even though its not been that long, Kuerten played in an era where the string tech wasnt quite what it is today, and so I don't think he could put on as much as the other two.

This is incorrect. Kuerten was actually the guy that brought notice to the polyester strings we see everyone using today.

emotion
09-29-2012, 05:56 AM
Wawrinka, maybe Gasquet come to mind. Haas has a fair bit.
Kohli has to be the flattest (Blake is flat-ish too)