Can Isner Win a Slam? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Can Isner Win a Slam?

SheepleBuster
03-18-2012, 02:26 AM
"I believe I can," said Isner, who will crack the Top 10 when the rankings are released next week. "You know, Slams are tough. It's the most physical, in my opinion. You're playing three out of five. If I were to run up against Djokovic again in a Slam; even if, you know, we were playing three out of five today, I would have to finish him off with one more set. So I know it's so tough, but I enjoy the challenge. There are three more this year, and I'm gonna try to do the best I can."

He thinks he can! I don't think so though. He may beat Novak or Federer but Nadal or Murray will get him

http://tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=16875&zoneid=25

Smoke944
03-18-2012, 02:27 AM
No.

HKz
03-18-2012, 02:28 AM
I don't think so. 7 x matches best of 5 might be too much for him. You saw how tired he got during rallies against Djokovic. He is certainly probably one of the more feared players to play against even when including the top 4, but I don't think he'll be good enough to win a slam, even in New York where the conditions suit him best.

Roddickominator
03-18-2012, 02:29 AM
No. Too many Best-of-5 set matches in a row. He will be fatigued by the start of the 2nd week if he can make it that far....and would need to grind out 4 or 5 setters to beat the top players in the 2nd week. It's just too much for a 6'9 guy to recover from and stay at a high enough level to win.

SheepleBuster
03-18-2012, 02:31 AM
I don't think so. 7 x matches best of 5 might be too much for him. You saw how tired he got during rallies against Djokovic. He is certainly probably one of the more feared players to play against even when including the top 4, but I don't think he'll be good enough to win a slam, even in New York where the conditions suit him best.

Let's not forget that he is too tall and could get injured more often. He might do some damage at the French. haha. We have seen how he can be unbreable at Wimbledon but I don't think he is good enough to be a grand slam champ

romismak
03-18-2012, 02:33 AM
Nooo, he is to confident i think.....saying such things... best of 5, need to take down at least 2 of big 4 at slam, they all play their best at slams.... I think there is not much he can improove, his movement can be maybe better and ROS too, BH too, but what we saw today against Nole was pretty much Isner near his best and still he was lucky to win that match.

Nole can serve better and play better and would beat him without going to Tie-breaks, Murray can read his serve and he generally is bad match-up for big servers. Rafa on RG, AO and Wimbledon will beat him, USO Isner has chance. And Roger with his serve and most offensive guy from big 4 will beat him at slams. Guys like Tsonga, Delpo, even Berdych or Monfils if not clowning around can beat him for sure.

I forgot 7 matches, he isn´t capable of winning matches easy in straight sets, he is playing Tie-breaks and loosing sets to mugs all the time at slams. He is loosing to much energy in early rounds and than in QF, SF, F there will be guys that will either grind him down or have great serve to hold their service games and beat him in Tie-breaks or so

Gabe32
03-18-2012, 02:33 AM
I think he can. If he can show some consistency, he is definitely a second tier player ... in there with Tsonga, Berdych, Soderling etc. etc. He would need a little luck, but he is pretty skilled for such a big guy. I am sure he is a nightmare to have in your section of the draw.

I mean, he beat Federer on clay, in Switzerland, in a best of 5 match pretty recently ... so who knows?

Johnny Iznrr
03-18-2012, 02:34 AM
If he can get ranked high enough he won't have to play tough 5 set matches until the later rounds. Problem for him has always been playing tough matches early like at this years AO and the famous Wimby match. imo he has a great chance to win the USO in the next few years with the 5th set tb, possibly Wimbledon if he improves his S/V game.

Ziros
03-18-2012, 02:35 AM
It's just too much for a 6'9 guy to recover from and stay at a high enough level to win.
Todd Martin and Juan Martin Del Potro have both got to US Open finals @ 6'6"

philosophicalarf
03-18-2012, 02:36 AM
Not unless he gets insanely lucky with the draw at the US Open, straight sets his way to the semis, then serves 75% the remaining two matches.

SheepleBuster
03-18-2012, 02:37 AM
The only way for Isner to win a slam is for his return game to improve immensely. I was impressed how he got Simon and Djokovic. But I have a feeling this is his hot form and will cool off.

Gabe32
03-18-2012, 02:42 AM
The only way for Isner to win a slam is for his return game to improve immensely. I was impressed how he got Simon and Djokovic. But I have a feeling this is his hot form and will cool off.

Yeah, it is a shame that the Roland Garros is coming up and not the USO. I'd be very interesting in seeing how he'd do playing at this level in New York.

Johnny Iznrr
03-18-2012, 02:43 AM
Isner is a young player. Tall players mature much later, Karlovic peaked in his early 30s. There is a good chance imo Isner can survive the retirement of Fedal when the slams become wide open. Hopefully he wins one before then, he deserves to win in a peak era instead of a clown one.

cmoss
03-18-2012, 02:43 AM
5 setter will require a lot of consistency and stamina.I'm afraid he will get exhausted after several long matches.

TennisGrandSlam
03-18-2012, 02:44 AM
Most probably in US Open.

HKz
03-18-2012, 02:45 AM
Todd Martin and Juan Martin Del Potro have both got to US Open finals @ 6'6"

They both have much better ground games and can actually break serve unlike John. You see how he gets tangled up with his feet quite often. I mean John is a better overall player than Karlovic, but he is still way too serve oriented to take a GS title.

SheepleBuster
03-18-2012, 02:46 AM
Isner is a young player. Tall players mature much later, Karlovic peaked in his early 30s. There is a good chance imo Isner can survive the retirement of Fedal when the slams become wide open. Hopefully he wins one before then, he deserves to win in a peak era instead of a clown one.

There will still be other big time players like Murray, Djokovic, and Del Potro. Other players could get hot too. Also, people read too much into Isner beating Roger or Novak. It's not as if he is losing only to the top 4 players in tournaments.

hipolymer
03-18-2012, 02:49 AM
No, he doesn't have the endurance. Might win a masters title tomorrow but I don't think he has what it takes to win 5 setters consistently.

emotion
03-18-2012, 02:51 AM
Poor endurance (minus one match :p )+ many off days= bad slam record
He might have slight chance if caught fire at USO or RG, but that is just as true of Almagro at RG and AO and Tipsarevic at Wimby and USO

Ackms421
03-18-2012, 03:08 AM
I think he could do it. You people keep saying endurance will be the problem, but this guy is not running around like Nadal. He is hitting an ace, or a winner, or an error on every point. It's fascinating that we have another player who can beat anyone on any given day. Isner will be interesting to watch this year, especially after this week. Of course he could win a slam. If he can finally get into the latter rounds of Wimbledon, he should give himself a chance this year.

Chase Visa
03-18-2012, 03:15 AM
Wrong era.

heya
03-18-2012, 03:15 AM
isner certainly has had a high level game for 5 years now.
the massive marathon versus mahut gave isner confidence.
even if he had lost 68-70, isner learned to be calm and mature.

his failed davis cup teammate roddick disappeared and choked almost every event the last 8 years.
gaudio & hewitt obviously couldn't do much, after 2004.

misty1
03-18-2012, 03:18 AM
I hope not

tommyg6
03-18-2012, 03:19 AM
Yes. He can do it at either Wimbledon or US Open.

JanKowalski
03-18-2012, 03:20 AM
No, he can't win 7 best of 5 matches.

Filo V.
03-18-2012, 03:24 AM
If he continues growing in confidence and continues improving as a tennis player, who knows what the limit is for Isner? He can win a slam, as can the other 127 players in the draw.

gators0708
03-18-2012, 03:30 AM
He can serve his way straight to a FO title!

lucyfur
03-18-2012, 03:38 AM

Isner will be 27 this year, that's not very young for a tennis player.

Johnny Iznrr
03-18-2012, 03:45 AM
Isner will be 27 this year, that's not very young for a tennis player.

Isner played 4 years in college. He doesn't have much wear and tear on his body. While you're right he's not "young" he has quite a few years left in him and is reaching his peak now when the usual tennis peak is 21/22

MuzzahLovah
03-18-2012, 04:26 AM
I still don't think so- he'd have to beat three out the top 4 most probably, and he's still never beaten Nadal or Murray. And when he ran into Simon last time at the USO, he was slogging through that match for hours. I don't think he's really fit enough.

MuzzahLovah
03-18-2012, 04:30 AM
I think he could do it. You people keep saying endurance will be the problem, but this guy is not running around like Nadal. He is hitting an ace, or a winner, or an error on every point. It's fascinating that we have another player who can beat anyone on any given day. Isner will be interesting to watch this year, especially after this week. Of course he could win a slam. If he can finally get into the latter rounds of Wimbledon, he should give himself a chance this year.

Against Simon both here and the at the USOpen, he was slogging through rallies- if he runs into that type player over five sets, and then has to face Nadal, Djokovic, Murray over five- yeah that could be reall tough for him.

fifthsetshootout
03-18-2012, 04:36 AM
I really hope not. It would make me hate tennis so much.

He doesn't have the solid ground strokes for it. His game is ugly, but when he's on-note with his forehand and the servebot mode is on, he can be troublesome. Problem is right now, his ground strokes aren't steady enough for a best-of-5 Slam setting.

martinatreue
03-18-2012, 04:47 AM
I really hope not. It would make me hate tennis so much.

He doesn't have the solid ground strokes for it. His game is ugly, but when he's on-note with his forehand and the servebot mode is on, he can be troublesome. Problem is right now, his ground strokes aren't steady enough for a best-of-5 Slam setting.

I must say that your post makes me kind of sad only because I have not seen a ton of American players that I can support but I just love John's game. I am curious why you think his game is ugly. He can change pace very well and attack the net and produce nice touch shots. He is not just a serve. These days most guys hit nearly every ball the same pace and I find that so dull. With John you can get a slow low-biting slice then a medium paced shots followed up by a bludgeoned forehand and then a drop volley or smash. I guess we just like different things. Sounds like you enjoy longer, steadier rallies?

martinatreue
03-18-2012, 04:52 AM
Against Simon both here and the at the USOpen, he was slogging through rallies- if he runs into that type player over five sets, and then has to face Nadal, Djokovic, Murray over five- yeah that could be reall tough for him.

It would be very tough but there are two days between matches.

Gabe32
03-18-2012, 05:02 AM
Why are people mentioning fitness/endurance? He won a 10 hour match against Mahut less than 2 years ago. I think that is an indicator of his fitness.

MuzzahLovah
03-18-2012, 05:02 AM
It would be very tough but there are two days between matches.

Not usually- one day is standard in the later rounds, but sometimes less if the schedule gets messed up.

MuzzahLovah
03-18-2012, 05:03 AM
Why are people mentioning fitness/endurance? He won a 10 hour match against Mahut less than 2 years ago. I think that is either an indicator of his fitness.

He lost the next round. And and he and serve and volleyer Mahut didn't get into to too many long rallies on the grass.

fifthsetshootout
03-18-2012, 05:05 AM
I must say that your post makes me kind of sad only because I have not seen a ton of American players that I can support but I just love John's game. I am curious why you think his game is ugly. He can change pace very well and attack the net and produce nice touch shots. He is not just a serve. These days most guys hit nearly every ball the same pace and I find that so dull. With John you can get a slow low-biting slice then a medium paced shots followed up by a bludgeoned forehand and then a drop volley or smash. I guess we just like different things. Sounds like you enjoy longer, steadier rallies?

I should say I'm from Singapore or something. I've personally never wanted to support a player "just because" he/she is American. I'm not out there looking for American players to support, for only that sake. I have the style of tennis I like, and let's just say, it doesn't involve an overbearing serve. Maybe Isner will take the IW title tomorrow, who knows. As for my rooting interests, I'll go with the style of tennis I like (which is not only based on rallies, but also involves good BHs). Just compare Fed's style to Isner's style---maybe it's just me, but I'd rather watch Fed. I'd rather watch someone who has a more polished style. Of course that doesn't win matches, but it doesn't change the way I feel about certain tennis players.

Gabe32
03-18-2012, 05:06 AM
He lost the next round. And and he and serve and volleyer Mahut didn't get into to too many long rallies on the grass.

I mean ... who would win after that?

MuzzahLovah
03-18-2012, 05:14 AM
I mean ... who would win after that?

I mean, it was a long match, but it was played over 3 days and his next opponent wasn't very good.

martinatreue
03-18-2012, 05:19 AM
I should say I'm from Singapore or something. I've personally never wanted to support a player "just because" he/she is American. I'm not out there looking for American players to support, for only that sake. I have the style of tennis I like, and let's just say, it doesn't involve an overbearing serve. Maybe Isner will take the IW title tomorrow, who knows. As for my rooting interests, I'll go with the style of tennis I like (which is not only based on rallies, but also involves good BHs). Just compare Fed's style to Isner's style---maybe it's just me, but I'd rather watch Fed. I'd rather watch someone who has a more polished style. Of course that doesn't win matches, but it doesn't change the way I feel about certain tennis players.

I would much rather watch Fed too LOL... but you must admit that Fed's serve is also pretty overbearing (not in pace but in other aspects). Anyways thanks for explaining. I don't really like most American players except Ryan Harrison is growing on me fast. Mardy Fish has a good backhand but he has sucked lately. Roddick is a brat. Blake was a brat with a ballbasher forehand. Querrey is kind of a boring baseline mug. Amongst the women I do like Christina McHale's work ethic. Williams sisters are phenomenal but I hate their attitude.

HKz
03-18-2012, 05:27 AM
Why are people mentioning fitness/endurance? He won a 10 hour match against Mahut less than 2 years ago. I think that is an indicator of his fitness.

Where are the other 6 matches?

Gabe32
03-18-2012, 05:29 AM
I mean, it was a long match, but it was played over 3 days and his next opponent wasn't very good.

Are you serious? Federer would've lost to Ferrer or Roddick in straight sets after that playing that match.

A few commentators said that it would shorten his tennis career due to how grueling it was.

From Wiki:

McEnroe speculated, however, that the match might have shortened Isner and Mahut's careers by six months.[23] A sports surgeon said the players had risked dehydration, hyperthermia, and kidney damage during the long match, and that one or both might suffer "some sort of injury or persistent problem over the next six months [...] shoulder problems, tendonitis, and recurrent knee problems", as well as the inability to "get into a groove" mentally for up to a year.

You are drastically underestimating the physical toll of playing such a match. His blisters alone had to have been ridiculous. Give the guy a little credit. It was kind of a big deal.

HKz
03-18-2012, 05:38 AM
Are you serious? Federer would've lost to Ferrer or Roddick in straight sets after that playing that match.

A few commentators said that it would shorten his tennis career due to how grueling it was.

From Wiki:

McEnroe speculated, however, that the match might have shortened Isner and Mahut's careers by six months.[23] A sports surgeon said the players had risked dehydration, hyperthermia, and kidney damage during the long match, and that one or both might suffer "some sort of injury or persistent problem over the next six months [...] shoulder problems, tendonitis, and recurrent knee problems", as well as the inability to "get into a groove" mentally for up to a year.

You are drastically underestimating the physical toll of playing such a match. His blisters alone had to have been ridiculous. Give the guy a little credit. It was kind of a big deal.

OK, but who cares? Either way doesn't mean anything if he can't take it 6 more matches to a title. I mean John said it himself, it was a great moment and win for him, but he would rather be getting deep into a slam event.

Gabe32
03-18-2012, 05:42 AM
OK, but who cars? Either way doesn't mean anything if he can't take it 6 more matches to a title. I mean John said it himself, it was a great moment and win for him, but he would rather be getting deep into a slam event.

The argument was whether or not Isner is fit. I see no indications of him being unfit. Especially since he won a 10+ hour match.:)

HKz
03-18-2012, 05:46 AM
The argument was whether or not Isner is fit. I see no indications of him being unfit. Especially since he won a 10+ hour match.:)

Considering it ways played over several days, he would have had to end up doing something similar even if he got through the draw "normally," so honestly, that match doesn't really prove that much. I mean Djokovic played how many hours over 2 days in Australia? What about Nadal as well at the Australian Open 2009? They both played an insane amount of tennis over two days, and certainly doing A LOT more running around than what Isner was doing, yet they looked a lot fresher than Isner would ever look. If you watch some of his matches against some consistent players, you see how exhausted Isner gets during a rally quite easily. He can't do it 7 x in a row best of 5. There are too many top players that will expose his movement. Sure, he can get through a couple of those types of players at a GS event even, and will probably do so, but I sincerely doubt he will ever even make a final.

Roger the Dodger
03-18-2012, 05:50 AM
Wimbledon is his best bet.

Gabe32
03-18-2012, 05:53 AM
Considering it ways played over several days, he would have had to end up doing something similar even if he got through the draw "normally," so honestly, that match doesn't really prove that much. I mean Djokovic played how many hours over 2 days in Australia? What about Nadal as well at the Australian Open 2009? They both played an insane amount of tennis over two days, and certainly doing A LOT more running around than what Isner was doing, yet they looked a lot fresher than Isner would ever look. If you watch some of his matches against some consistent players, you see how exhausted Isner gets during a rally quite easily. He can't do it 7 x in a row best of 5. There are too many top players that will expose his movement. Sure, he can get through a couple of those types of players at a GS event even, and will probably do so, but I sincerely doubt he will ever even make a final.

Maybe. But as of recently, he looks fine to me.

I hate jumping on any "bandwagon" but I think Isner is finally more than just a big serve nowadays. Previously, I didn't like his game at all because he was a typical American player. Huge serve, and no other real threats.

But the few matches I've seen from him recently have proven otherwise. Wins over Federer on clay and Djokovic on a slow hard court are pretty big deals. Granted those two wins can very well be flukes, but I truly hope they are not.

Maybe you guys are right and his fitness isn't too good. Obviously his movement is somewhat of a liability. I also don't know about his consistency.

But he certainly does have the game to beat the elite players, and that alone puts him in a small group.

Roddickominator
03-18-2012, 05:57 AM
Isner is pretty fit for a big guy, but he's 6'9 and 245 lbs. Much bigger than any other top player. But even so...the issue isn't necessarily fitness during one match. It is the inability to recover from one long match by the time the next match comes along.

With Isner's style, he's going to play a lot of tiebreaks and more long sets(7-6, 7-5, 6-4)....keep in mind that he is pretty likely to lose a set if he manages to have a bad service game and get broken, and that the tiebreak factor also means he's going to lose some of those because tiebreaks are such a crapshoot. That means he's playing 4 and 5 set matches, even oftentimes against poorly ranked players. That, combined with his size, and it's pretty obvious why he looks dead tired after only a few best-of-5 set matches. He ends up losing against guys that he should be beating because he is just physically drained.

Allez
03-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Would not mind it one bit if he did. The USO & Wimby being his best shot. It is time someone else won a slam and it couldn't happen to a nicer fella.

HKz
03-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Maybe. But as of recently, he looks fine to me.

I hate jumping on any "bandwagon" but I think Isner is finally more than just a big serve nowadays. Previously, I didn't like his game at all because he was a typical American player. Huge serve, and no other real threats.

But the few matches I've seen from him recently have proven otherwise. Wins over Federer on clay and Djokovic on a slow hard court are pretty big deals. Granted those two wins can very well be flukes, but I truly hope they are not.

Maybe you guys are right and his fitness isn't too good. Obviously his movement is somewhat of a liability. I also don't know about his consistency.

But he certainly does have the game to beat the elite players, and that alone puts him in a small group.

When you have a huge serve like Isner, you can get some of these wins as holding serve as easily as he does can often put tremendous pressure on your opponent to hold their serve. Again, I'm not saying he can't beat a top player, even at a slam, all I'm saying is that I really doubt he can win 7 x best of 5 matches as most top players can and will exploit his movement. He gets tangled up pretty easily on court.

TBkeeper
03-18-2012, 08:28 AM
BITCH PLEASE ..... Murray , Nalbandian and Davydenko all haven't won one You say you will
..... what a prick

EddieNero
03-18-2012, 08:31 AM
His fitness remains a big obstacle. I can't imagine Isner handling back-to-back gruelling 5-setters against the top guys.
John may overcome Djokovic/Nadal/Federer in a slam for sure, but not two of them at the same tournament in BO5 format.

HKz
03-18-2012, 08:44 AM
His fitness remains a big obstacle. I can't imagine Isner handling back-to-back gruelling 5-setters against the top guys.
John may overcome Djokovic/Nadal/Federer in a slam for sure, but not two of them at the same tournament in BO5 format.

The question isn't necessarily going 5, as that is tough either way, but he could be winning these matches in straight sets, and it would still be a bit rough for him.

Start da Game
03-18-2012, 08:48 AM
no.....best of 5 sets is a different story altogether.....more relevant question would be
to ask yourself can he win indian wells 2012 first?

ossie
03-18-2012, 08:54 AM
serve bots can't win slams in strong eras like this one. next.

scarecrows
03-18-2012, 09:27 AM
not enough stamina

can reach semis a few times though, maybe even a final