Why has Nole's level dropped so much from last year? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why has Nole's level dropped so much from last year?

SetSampras
03-17-2012, 07:39 PM
He hasn't look all that great at all compared to last year. He escaped Australia by the skin of his teeth, while last year he was an assassin destroying everything in his path. Hes looked more frustrated, out of form, and a clear drop in his play since last year. Has the grind caught up to him?

GSMnadal
03-17-2012, 07:42 PM
This is his normal level :shrug:

What it has been for about 4-5 years, he just had one superstar year when nothing went wrong. Luckily for him, the others aren't as good anymore

samanosuke
03-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Because he isn't Fed to keep the same untouchable form through 3 years

Smoke944
03-17-2012, 07:46 PM
This is his normal level :shrug:

What it has been for about 4-5 years, he just had one superstar year when nothing went wrong. Luckily for him, the others aren't as good anymore

This. He was playing above his head last year.

LastRocket
03-17-2012, 07:52 PM
He pushed himself to the limit last year. Maybe mentally tired....

Clydey
03-17-2012, 07:52 PM
He was never going to sustain that level.

navy75
03-17-2012, 08:00 PM
The hate on MTF never ceases to amaze me. He has only completed two tournaments this year, one of which was a GS win and the other of which was a SF loss to Murray in an event that everyone shows up to solely for the appearance fees, and now his entire 2012 is a disaster compared to last year. Any player would love to start a year with the results that Nole has had, and yet MTF finds a way to even shit all over the best player and AO champion in March.

Wish I could say I was surprised.

Orka_n
03-17-2012, 08:01 PM
no egg

Clydey
03-17-2012, 08:01 PM
The hate on MTF never ceases to amaze me. He has only completed two tournaments this year, one of which was a GS win and the other of which was a SF loss to Murray in an event that everyone shows up to solely for the appearance fees, and now his entire 2012 is a disaster compared to last year. Any player would love to start a year with the results that Nole has had, and yet MTF finds a way to even shit all over the best player and AO champion in March.

No one is shitting on him. He just isn't playing as well as last year, quite clearly. Personally, I never expected him to. 2011 was never likely to be repeated.

navy75
03-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Oh, and if this thread is based upon him losing the first set to Isner: Everyone has an off day, and Isner serves really hard and is difficult to play against for anyone if you are unfamiliar with Big John.

BigJohn
03-17-2012, 08:03 PM

This is so silly. lol. Come on guys you have to get real!

Thunderfish8
03-17-2012, 08:05 PM
I think the only HUGE difference is confidence. Those losses at the end of the season last year may have shaken his confidence slightly, and the only thing that kept his level to incredibly high and consistent was confidence. I don't think his actually skill level has dropped at all. Frustration has been a usual in his matches. All players get frustrated, some just show it more than others. I think he has just come to the realization that he is vulnerable. That realization coupled with some rather unrealistic expectations for another perfect season cause that frustration.

I don't think he has necessarily dropped in playing level. I think he just realizes that one can only be immortal for so long. With that realization, a tiny bit of confidence disappears, enough to prevent him from pulling 100% of tough situations out of his ass.

born_on_clay
03-17-2012, 08:06 PM
He hasn't look all that great at all compared to last year. He escaped Australia by the skin of his teeth, while last year he was an assassin destroying everything in his path. Hes looked more frustrated, out of form, and a clear drop in his play since last year. Has the grind caught up to him?

Because you can't play like Novak did in 2011 all your career :wavey:

arm
03-17-2012, 08:08 PM
:lol: He played 2 tournaments and won the only one that mattered. Last year to prove himself, go up the rankings and start building up confidence he had to win the minor tournaments as well. This year he knows very well when he wants to peak. And it's not now.

sexybeast
03-17-2012, 08:08 PM
He cant dominate for 4-5 years grinding, I havent heard of anyone ever done that.

Thunderfish8
03-17-2012, 08:53 PM
okay maybe i was wrong ^^^

Isner def. Djokovic 76 36 76

munZe konZa
03-17-2012, 08:55 PM
so any loss is a sign of decline ?
Sampras had 222 of them

philosophicalarf
03-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Just not as interested in the lesser events. He's won 4 of the last 5 slams, all his focus is on Roland Garros, then the Grand Slam.

Until he plays like this in a slam, nothing of importance has changed.

BigJohn
03-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Sampras had 222 of them

And he declined...

HKz
03-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Ya this is quite a bit of an overreaction. He won the most important event, and he merely lost 2 smaller events in the SFs. He just needs to focus on the slams and maybe keep his number one ranking. It isn't like Murray losing in his first match. Now if that were to happen, such a thread like this would be reasonable.

Either way, the players he has lost to this year, Murray and Isner, are the exact types of players he doesn't want to face. Nothing special.

arm
03-17-2012, 09:03 PM
And he declined...

:lol: My first laugh after Nole's loss. thanks :hug:

SERBINATOR
03-17-2012, 09:09 PM
His serve switched back to 2010 mode

in 2011 he was serving ACES at will, whereas now he is struggling to just get the First serves in

ROS is still the same, it's his service games that's bothering me....and his Tie break loses is attributed to that not so Clutch serve he has reverted back to

Roamed
03-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Let's see what happens in Miami, that event ends the first chapter of 2012. He's still doing well enough for a #1.

scoobs
03-17-2012, 09:11 PM
So he's looking a bit more human this year. So? He was utterly inhuman where it really matter, at the Australian Open, and I'm sure come the French Open it'll take something amazing to beat him again.

Moozza
03-17-2012, 09:13 PM
He is Novak Suckovic, what do you expect.

Johnny Iznrr
03-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Djokovic had 37/20 W/UE :bigwave:

Time Violation
03-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Djokovic had 37/20 W/UE :bigwave:

Really? It looked the other way around almost :) Anyway, don't know why he gets so passive at times, not only this year, but last year more than a couple of times, yet he was getting away with it. Probably even today he would've gotten away with it, if it wasn't for Isner serving like he did.

Really hope he tries to be somewhat more aggressive, since the passive stuff doesn't look pretty and it's not going to win him much either... he's just going to be another Murray :p

sexybeast
03-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Sampras had 222 of them

Sampras started declining about Djokovic's age now. Never got back to his 93-95 form, even when the opposition got alot worse 96-98.

Orbis
03-17-2012, 09:55 PM
IMO it would be pretty difficult to sustain the level he had last year. Impossible, even. A dip in form is pretty inevitable. The better question is whether or not he can reach that level again.

Time Violation
03-17-2012, 09:59 PM
IMO it would be pretty difficult to sustain the level he had last year. Impossible, even. A dip in form is pretty inevitable. The better question is whether or not he can reach that level again.

Even better question is whether he can reach it in slams again. Yet to be seen :)

NID
03-17-2012, 10:06 PM
so, 2011 was the 'proof' that djokovic was doping/sitting in the egg/whatever, and 2012 is the proof that the doping does not work/egg is broken/whatever?

reery
03-17-2012, 10:07 PM
He is not Federer who was able to dominate from 2004-2007.

venky91
03-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Fluke season tbh

reery
03-17-2012, 10:12 PM
:lol: He played 2 tournaments and won the only one that mattered. Last year to prove himself, go up the rankings and start building up confidence he had to win the minor tournaments as well. This year he knows very well when he wants to peak. And it's not now.

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't win any of the 3 remaining tournaments that matter this year. Looking at how much of a fight he had to put to win at his best slam(5 sets dropped) in 2012 compared with his cruising at the AO2011(1 set dropped) and even at the AO2008(1 set dropped). The other 3 slams will be much harder to win. :wavey:

If that happens it will be funny the excuses the nolefans will come up with.

Matt01
03-17-2012, 10:13 PM
As long as he keeps winning the Slams, I'm fine with his level dropping :shrug:

reery
03-17-2012, 10:16 PM
As long as he keeps winning the Slams, I'm fine with his level dropping :shrug:

The next 3 slams will be hard to win with the level he showed at 2012 AO. :shrug: And this is historically his best slam.

sexybeast
03-17-2012, 10:20 PM
He is the favorite to win Usopen, right now Rafa is favorite to win RG (as long as he doesnt play Djokovic in the final) and in Wimbledon/Olympics I have Murray, Federer and Nadal ahead of Djokovic

reery
03-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Sampras started declining about Djokovic's age now. Never got back to his 93-95 form, even when the opposition got alot worse 96-98.

Good point. 1996 when Sampras turned 25(the age Nole turns this year) he only won 1 slam. A clear decline compared with 1993, 1994, and 1995.

arm
03-17-2012, 10:23 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't win any of the 3 remaining tournaments that matter this year. Looking at how much of a fight he had to put to win at his best slam(5 sets dropped) in 2012 compared with his cruising at the AO2011(1 set dropped) and even at the AO2008(1 set dropped). The other 3 slams will be much harder to win. :wavey:

If that happens it will be funny the excuses the nolefans will come up with.

I don't need excuses. I have 5 slams, just a bit over a 1 year ago I only had 1. If it doesn't go beyond 5, I'll be happy for those, believe me. :sport:

SetSampras
03-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Sampras didn't start to decline by Nole's age. ROFL!!! He didn't start to decline under until '98 or so.. And in 99 he had an awesome year until injuries got him prior to the USO

arm
03-17-2012, 10:24 PM
The next 3 slams will be hard to win with the level he showed at 2012 AO. :shrug: And this is historically his best slam.

Because othe rplayers are playing better than him, right? :haha:

ballbasher101
03-17-2012, 10:26 PM
People are so fickle. When the Djoker starts losing in the majors then we can start worrying. He won more points than Big John today. In Dubai he was coming off a long break. His focus is on the majors. Big John was just the better man today by a whisker.

GSMnadal
03-17-2012, 10:27 PM

If Novak is being pushed to 5 by Murray and Nadal at the AO, he hasn't got a snowballs chance in hell to win either RG or Wimbledon

Matt01
03-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Good point. 1996 when Sampras turned 25(the age Nole turns this year) he only won 1 slam. A clear decline compared with 1993, 1994, and 1995.

And in 1997 he won 2 Slams which is a clear improvement over 1996 so what's your point? :confused:

Noleta
03-17-2012, 10:34 PM
It is pretty hard to maintain the level he showed in 2011,i mean it was crazy shit:eek:

He is struggling,and relying on his opponent mistakes too much,while his serve isn't that great...maybe he'll get better,the season has just started.:)

arm
03-17-2012, 10:34 PM
If Novak is being pushed to 5 by Murray and Nadal at the AO, he hasn't got a snowballs chance in hell to win either RG or Wimbledon

You keep telling yourself that, if it makes you more confident. :hug:

HKz
03-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Sampras didn't start to decline by Nole's age. ROFL!!! He didn't start to decline under until '98 or so.. And in 99 he had an awesome year until injuries got him prior to the USO

Yes, compare every single player in the game to Sampras, great start.

reery
03-17-2012, 10:36 PM

He was lucky to avoid Federer at Wimbledon and he barely beat Federer at the USO. He lost to Federer at the FO. :wavey:

SetSampras
03-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Nole has a chance at the French. (Not a given).. I wouldn't give him much of a chance at Wimbledon however

reery
03-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Nole has a chance at the French. (Not a given).. I wouldn't give him much of a chance at Wimbledon however

Not if he meets Fed. :haha:

arm
03-17-2012, 10:38 PM
He was lucky to avoid Federer at Wimbledon and he barely beat Federer at the USO. He lost to Federer at the FO. :wavey:

Federer lost to him in AO and USO. :wavey:

and he almost lost to player x and y and z. He almost beat Isner today and I am not hanging on to that.

TBkeeper
03-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Okay guys get over it in near future times there will be a lot flukish seasons by a lot of mugs ;) cause there's no deep field ...

sexybeast
03-17-2012, 10:41 PM

That doesnt make much sense, Sampras ended 96 with 1 slam and as many points as Federer got now:

http://www.tennis28.com/charts/Sampras_Federer_ranking_points.GIF

Also the 93-95 era was great with Agassi and Becker still quite good, also Stich and some other good players around but then 96-98 was very lousy and with very little regeneration outside clay, Sampras should have dominated this era without rivals but he was also declining.

He had 1 slam final in 96 and won against Chang in the Usopen final, he didnt .win a single master series that year. Ok, he won alot of small titles and the YEC, but overall he showed clear signs of decline in 96, lost to teenager Philippoussis in Australian Open and straight setted by Krajicek in Wimbledon wasnt something you expected from peak Sampras.

Johnny Groove
03-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Of course it was impossible to keep up that level from 2011.

No need to worry, people. As a Nadal fan, I am definitely not writing Nole off, for Miami or the clay season. MTF has a tendency to slurp whoever is winning, and then tear him down when he begins to lose.

hipolymer
03-17-2012, 10:54 PM
His serve has been absolutely terrible. It wasn't even that good in 2011 compared to 2007-2008, but 2012 has been dreadful for his serve.

Time Violation
03-17-2012, 11:04 PM
His serve has been absolutely terrible. It wasn't even that good in 2011 compared to 2007-2008, but 2012 has been dreadful for his serve.

Not sure what you're on people... most of the time this year he serves better than he did last year, and way, way better than he did in 2010.

MIMIC
03-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Not if he meets Fed. :haha:

I think you mean FEDERER has no chance at the French if he meets Nadal.

Up a break in sets 1, 3 and 4 mean you had a chance, unless I'm missing something :scratch: I'm hoping you haven't created your own definition of the word "chance", because if you did, Fed didn't have a chance last year at the U.S. Open

sexybeast
03-17-2012, 11:09 PM
I think you mean FEDERER has no chance at the French if he meets Nadal.

Up a break in sets 1, 3 and 4 mean you had a chance, unless I'm missing something :scratch: I'm hoping you haven't created your own definition of the word "chance", because if you did, Fed didn't have a chance last year at the U.S. Open

Federer was up a break in set 1, 2 and 3 in Australian Open against Nadal.

Ben.
03-17-2012, 11:15 PM
I guess he didn't have a fridge big enough for the egg.

Seriously though, he's only played three events and won the biggest one, with semis in the other two. It's not as if he played his absolute best all last year, he ended the year poorly, he wasn't very good at Wimbledon and should have lost to Fed at USO. He's won many matches he could have lost, today he lost one he could have won.

MIMIC
03-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Federer was up a break in set 1, 2 and 3 in Australian Open against Nadal.

Yes, Fed had a chance.

But that match followed the pattern of what he always does with his chances.

Ash86
03-17-2012, 11:22 PM
He's won many matches he could have lost, today he lost one he could have won.

This. Nadal said as much at times last year - Novak had everything go his way last year - could have lost the US Open semi; could have lost Miami final (3rd set breaker...); could have lost the Rome semi... Every close match he seemed to win. That little bit of luck wasn't going to go his way all the time.

Nadal got lucky vs Nalbandian yesterday. Last year he lost matches like the one against Dodig which he could have won.

Novak's not at early 2011 level but then he wasn't at that level after Rome 2011 anyway. He still kept winning. He'll still win a lot this year and is the best placed to end no.1. I hope Nadal does well as he's my favourite but no way am I underestimating Novak or thinking this spells some great decline. He won a slam and got to the semis of the other two tournaments - great results.

Time Violation
03-17-2012, 11:41 PM
Novak's not at early 2011 level but then he wasn't at that level after Rome 2011 anyway. He still kept winning. He'll still win a lot this year and is the best placed to end no.1. I hope Nadal does well as he's my favourite but no way am I underestimating Novak or thinking this spells some great decline. He won a slam and got to the semis of the other two tournaments - great results.

Yup, many people wrote Novak off as soon as he lost at RG last year, never mind that was the first (!) match he lost that year, and never mind that he won 7 titles at that point. Many were quick to point out that he won "only 1 slam", like winning Dubai and 4 masters back to back was kidding. Anyway, it's "what have you done for me today" world, so no surprise :)

rob_z
03-17-2012, 11:50 PM
Nole has a bit weak period right now, but it wouldn't surprise me if he finds his best form back within a couple of months. Maybe when the clay season starts. And by the way weak period? He still won the must important tournament of 2012: the Australian Open. The slams are what really matter.
In 2011 the first half of his season was great, but the last months were a bit weak. Maybe he does it the other way around this time:cool:
I expect him to win at least one more slam this year. Must likely the French Open or the US Open.:)

Roddickominator
03-18-2012, 12:54 AM
He is still the best player in the world, and is playing his best tennis at the Slams. He is having to learn when to maximize his nutrition, like Nadal did and still does. It isn't sustainable to be gluten-free nearly all year like he was in 2011.

lilygotsilly
03-18-2012, 01:18 AM
Bubble-less?

Something's not right physically = he's struggling -its easy to see- I really dont think its much mental at all. He just doesnt have the great reserves in the tank at this point. The beginning of the year he was ready to go - at Abu Dhabi he looked phenomenal and same at Aussie until the Pitbull, Ferrer. Ferrer does this to everyone- rips into the body.

That Djoko won another match after Ferrer is a little suspect to me as he looked down and out against Murray and Nadal. Now a rest and more lethargy.

The off court battle is as important as the on court one in today's game.

Roddickominator
03-18-2012, 01:25 AM
Guaranteed he'll be back on fire by Madrid or Rome. That's how this works.

tennizen
03-18-2012, 01:30 AM
Nole played supremely well last year only until the FO with his peak form being at the clay tournaments. The rest of the time he was simply better than the rest(+plus the aura of his performance until then) and he is about the same form as he was from Wimbledon onwards.

BauerAlmeida
03-18-2012, 01:33 AM
He said he was going to focus mainly on the GS and the Olympics Gold this year. He'll reach his best form for the clay season.

out_grinder
03-18-2012, 02:10 AM
He is declining.

Same as Murray.

Lol that the much younger Nolandy are declining faster than Fedal.

Sri
03-18-2012, 02:46 AM
Nole is saving himself for the clay season. He's going for the career slam and the Nole slam. Ajde!

Sri
03-18-2012, 02:46 AM
He is declining.

Same as Murray.

Lol that the much younger Nolandy are declining faster than Fedal.
Err.. Nadal, Nole and Murray are the same age group.

BigJohn
03-18-2012, 02:51 AM
Err.. Nadal, Nole and Murray are the same age group.

It's a matter of peaking... It has been discussed before at lengths.

Sri
03-18-2012, 02:52 AM
No its not. He very clearly said "the much younger Noleandy". They are not much younger than Nadal.

leng jai
03-18-2012, 02:56 AM
Nole's 2011 wasn't sustainable, any idiot could see that. Its not like he was steamrolling everyone with ease either, his year could have looked a lot less impressive if 2 or 3 close results went the other way.

Ajde.

BigJohn
03-18-2012, 02:57 AM
No its not. He very clearly said "the much younger Noleandy". They are not much younger than Nadal.

blablah... winning early blablablah... peaking early.... blablah ... peaking at an older age ... blablablah...

I have to believed all that was implied. He was talking peak age.

emotion
03-18-2012, 02:58 AM
He's having trouble returning, normally one of his best shots (Failing to break ANDUJAR for a set?!?) and is an awful tiebreak player
He is still better the bigger the occasion, but looks a bit shaky, if still probably the best around.