IW QF: Nadal def. Nalbandian 4-6 7-5 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

IW QF: Nadal def. Nalbandian 4-6 7-5 6-4

samanosuke
03-17-2012, 12:53 AM
How fat was that. Hour and half of good effort ruined by volley - drop shot - DF combo . Once a BBM always a BBM . Third set BP drop shot was also priceless. better stick to the burgers Dave. Gifted win 500+ for rafito

Action Jackson
The mental strength from Nadal triumphed in this. Dumb game Nalbandian played at *5-5 to get broken, easy volley not put away, the missed dropshot. Once that happened, momentum changed and Nadal was able to get it done.

Nalbandian trying a dropshot when he had 2 break points at 5-4 in the 3rd.

Nadal definitely can't complain about lack of crowd support in Indian Wells.

Filo V.
The last half of the match was painful.

This lacking-in-confidence Rafa is not gonna do anything vs Nole should they play in the final. And really, Federer and Isner, if he beats Djokovic, should look at this match and take a lot of belief in beating Nadal.

Too bad for David, was the significantly better player the first two sets. Just couldn't cross the finish line. Rafa just started putting more balls in the court, really. Which was all that was required.

GSMnadal
Just want to help setting a record for number of threads started :yeah:

Huge choke at the end, a horror start, but good enough...just :unsure:

Turkey time

LocoPorElTenis
David, you made us proud today :worship: (despite your choking at the end of the second set :facepalm:)
Rafa, good fight as usual :hatoff:

Sauletekis
03-17-2012, 12:54 AM
NID :worship:

The match seemed over as soon as Nalby makes the DF at 5-5 30-40 in 2nd set. But it wasn't.

Nadal was very bad today, specially in the 1st, but credit to Dave that gave everything he had, but in the end show again why he is slamless and a mental midget... He returned very deep the Nadal serves. Nadal in the end try to show some HUGE signs of chokeness, but in the end, he was still the best of the 2.

VAMOS RAFA!

SheepleBuster
Sh** Sh** Sh** Sh** Sh**

azinna
Strong fight. Lots of great rallies. Level fluctuated, but that's to be expected given the healthy break Rafa took for a well-paced season.

Good test for Rafa. Expect his form to get better in more favorable match-ups like with Federer. But if he meets Nole in the final this match may give him additional confidence.

Hope David just builds and builds from this.

alter ego
The mental strength from Nadal triumphed in this. Dumb game Nalbandian played at *5-5 to get broken, easy volley not put away, the missed dropshot. Once that happened, momentum changed and Nadal was able to get it done.

NAdull's mental strength ? hahahahaha a midget could have beatean chocker king Nalbandian.

reery
http://www.clownzozo.co.uk/zozo.jpg

Roamed
03-17-2012, 12:55 AM
Typical Nalbandian stuff

MTwEeZi
Good for the game. 99% of real tennis fans will be satisfied with this result.

uNIVERSE mAN
same old shit.

bleu_cheese
3 billion threads, wow. Lots of tight play from both, but I can't say it wasn't entertaining.

EliSter
5 threads...Filo first.NID.

Orka_n
Just pathetic. Nadal didn't deserve that match. The dropshot from David at 40-15 in the final game was just hilarious.

hipolymer
And people say 2004-2007 was best era of tennis? With choking mugs like this that's simply not possible. Embarrassing stuff.

GSMnadal
03-17-2012, 12:56 AM
:rolls:

:bounce:

:banana:

chenx15
03-17-2012, 12:57 AM
now i know why a lot of people respect nalbandian, now i also why a lot of people are also disappointed. what a freaking gifted player with poor mental ability. the ball striking was phenomenal but mental fortitude and shot selection at crunch times are very questionable...

leng jai
A lot of players on tour would be better off never going for the dropshot.

Ajde.

Dead Net Cord
You can't say the match was not epic when there are 6 threads 20 seconds after the match's over

HeretiC
03-17-2012, 12:58 AM
30+ year old triceratop with zillion surgeries 2 points away from a win in straights, I am at peace.

GSMnadal
5 threads...Filo first.NID.

Only third for him, bad day at the office... Some might call it a choke

rocketassist
Charlie Pasarell made me sick then. If you ever wondered what what was wrong with the ATP, him going crazy for Nadal summed it right up.

samanosuke
disgusting behavior from Pasarell . Was routing for the pig like his son was on the court

Pirata.
03-17-2012, 12:59 AM
Better player lost.

JediFed
03-17-2012, 01:00 AM
Nalby 2 points from SS Nadal at 6-4 5-4* 30-30*

Nearly gets the double break back to level at 6-4 5-7 4-5* 40-15* with 2 BPs.

BPs up at 6-4 1-0* 40-30*

End of the road for Rafa if he plays like this. 2h45m to defeat number 74 ranked Nalbandia

Deathless Mortal
And people say 2004-2007 was best era of tennis? With choking mugs like this that's simply not possible. Embarrassing stuff.

So how is this a better era with current #2 barely beating that "choking mug" who is way past his prime?

Dead Net Cord
Did Pasarell facepalm after Rafa's dismal smatch?

Ben.
03-17-2012, 01:01 AM
Epic chokefest. Rafa gets tight at *4-5 to lose the first set, Nalby double faults on BP at 5-5 in the second and then the comedy of errors at the end.

juan27
03-17-2012, 01:01 AM

nalbandian did a better match against nadal that all the top-10 with the expetion of nole and federer , and this nalbandian is old and after 1000 physicall problems , the best nalbandian like in 2007 destroy nadull.

anyway , the match was lost by nalbandian himself......

he lost the match in the second set with that volley and double fault , even in he third set if nalbandian not gifted his serve in the first game the match could be different too.

nadal was very very close of a massive choke , worst than in australia with djokovic...

tomorrow always the same thing , nadal moonballing federer`s backhand and winning in two sets.....federer hasn`t the nalbandian or nole two handed backhand.

Nole Rules
03-17-2012, 01:02 AM
Tennis really lost here. Dave should have won this in 2.

MaxPower
Nalbandian played well but shot selection on important points was downright embarrassing. You don't go for a low percentage dropshot over and over again on BPs when you don't need to. He was like a bad gambler thinking like "ohh I missed 857987983783 times but this next time then I will make it!"

He could easily have won the match in 2 sets. 2nd set was horrible from Nadal. Had like 15 UEs and was there for the taking. Nalbandian had the chance and threw it away

alter ego
Tournament owner is a Fedtard though :cool:

Sure that's way the surface is so fast.:rolleyes:

Clay Death
03-17-2012, 01:03 AM
i am more impressed with nalFATian.

i am plain disgusted with the clay warrior`s game but he has brought all that upon himself. so i have no sympathy for him.

freeandlonely
another sad reason to stop following ATP:sad:

alter ego
Nalbandian played well but shot selection on important points was downright embarrassing. You don't go for a low percentage dropshot over and over again on BPs when you don't need to. He was like a bad gambler thinking like "ohh I missed 857987983783 times but this next time then I will make it!"

He could easily have won the match in 2 sets. 2nd set was horrible from Nadal. Had like 15 UEs and was there for the taking. Nalbandian had the chance and threw it away

Madull was 12 winner for 26 errors midway through the 2nd set.

Action Jackson
Passarell cheering like Matress Mac was poor form from a tournament director. Nadal was there for the taking today, but what ifs don't win matches. Got to convert the chances.

Nadal got away with taking 40 seconds in between points in the last game. Murphy while he warned him before, didn't do it when needed.

Ash86
:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

THIS is what makes Rafael Nadal worth following - he (and Nalbandian) are the only players who gave the crowd their money's worth. Passion; fight; grit; incredible shotmaking - this match had everything. Finally a great match at IW this year. Nalby deserved more and really Nadal will be counting himself lucky again to come through but then again he stayed focused throughout even when things looked bleak - Nalbandian didn't - that's why one has 10 majors and the other, though equally talented (actually more so) in the shots department, has none. Tennis is about executing well over a long period of time and riding through bad momentum - Rafa did that.

Excellent confidence boosting match for him to win. Back him against Fed tomorrow now - we'll deal with Djoker if and when the match arises. His ROS was still bad but the backhand was way better and in some ways it's good he's going for the FHDTL and BHDTL even if he misses them sometimes. He's trying to be more aggressive and longterm that's good.

YAY!:woohoo:

cmoss
Mugaldian & Chokaldian.

hipolymer
03-17-2012, 01:04 AM
So how is this a better era with current #2 barely beating that "choking mug" who is way past his prime?

once a choker, always a choker.

Time Violation
03-17-2012, 01:05 AM
Tournament owner is a Fedtard though :cool:

Guys commenting the match said repeatedly he's a huge Nadal fan the other day.

Dead Net Cord
Anyone winners/ue stats?

Mountaindewslave
Nalby 2 points from SS Nadal at 6-4 5-4* 30-30*

Nearly gets the double break back to level at 6-4 5-7 4-5* 40-15* with 2 BPs.

BPs up at 6-4 1-0* 40-30*

End of the road for Rafa if he plays like this. 2h45m to defeat number 74 ranked Nalbandia

dumb to say when obviously #75 rank is not accurate to how good Nalbandian is. you do realize he beat TWO top 10 players prior to facing Rafa today? meaning that Nalbandian this tournament was playing in top 10 tier/status??

it really says little about Nadal's game and just gives him confidence. this is the first real quality player he faced this tournament which means he had to adjust a bit and he has been off for like 6 weeks prior to this. nothing out of the ordinary and actually a pretty good match with some great ballstriking from Nalbandian.

Rafael was a bit off but considering his opponent and the circumstances nothing too surprising

Deathless Mortal
Murphy while he warned him before, didn't do it when needed.

What else is new? :o

Kat_YYZ
Banaldian http://pics.hellodaly.com/GIF%20Animation/smiley_yuck.gif

Had a chance to get some revenge for that epic choke in 2009 Indian Wells, where he led Nadal 5-3 in the second set and had 5 MPs, only to lose that set and then get bagelled in the third. :facepalm:

Most of the match was great to watch, but the way it was given away was just sad :(

Corey Feldman
predictable as ever :worship:
another player ground down into the dirt despite making Nadal look stupid for most of the match

on the plus side, my fantasy points were never in doubt :D

Deathless Mortal
03-17-2012, 01:06 AM
once a choker, always a choker.

I struggle to see how this answers my question though.

SheepleBuster
03-17-2012, 01:06 AM
Nalbandian's career is one of the most tragic ones I have seen. He should have won this match. He should have beat Roddick in US Open. He should have done better in slams. But he has always been a choker.

Ash86
03-17-2012, 01:07 AM
Passarell cheering like Matress Mac was poor form from a tournament director. Nadal was there for the taking today, but what ifs don't win matches. Got to convert the chances.

Nadal got away with taking 40 seconds in between points in the last game. Murphy while he warned him before, didn't do it when needed.

Stop whining about the time. That's not why Nadal won the match. :o And when he got the violation it was windy which it why it took extra time - I think he deserves the violation generally but that was a stupid time to give it.

As for the tournament director cheering - both him & Ellison have made no secret of their Rafa love - probably not the best but it is what it is. Loved Stiller in Rafa's box too - Zoolander this year; it was Jesus (Jim Cavezial) in his box going nuts back in 2009. :D

Just like heaven
Guys commenting the match said repeatedly he's a huge Nadal fan the other day.

He's a Nadal fan boy.

http://gototennis.com/2010/03/10/larry-ellison-on-federer-the-man-nadal-the-kid/

leng jai
Why bother giving him the warning and then letting it go in the last game? Thats just blatant lack of testicular fortitude from Fergie.

Ajde.

Mountaindewslave
Tennis really lost here. Dave should have won this in 2.

should have could have whatever whatever. you can say that in practically any match but the fact is Nalbandian didn't have what it takes in the big moments. there are hundreds of good ballstrikers out there who can go toe to toe for a while in match against the best but there are FEW players who have the mental fortitude and guts to win when it really matters, in the big points. Nalbandian at moments has what it takes but if he was meant to win this in 2 he would have; his biggest flaw is not being clutch in big moments which played a big part, no surprise

Filo V.
03-17-2012, 01:08 AM
Nalbandian choked, but so did Rafa. So to say Rafa won this because Nalbandian choked isn't true. More like he won regardless of the fact he was clearly choking at the end of really all three sets. And I hate the word choke but it can be used on both sides. Extremely tight tennis, especially at the end of the third. Brutal to watch. Nalbandian was the better player from the middle of the first set till the end of the second set, and then again at the end of the third set............a tennis match is about putting it all together, David failed and therefore lost.

Action Jackson
03-17-2012, 01:10 AM
Stop whining about the time. That's not why Nadal won the match. :o And when he got the violation it was windy which it why it took extra time - I think he deserves the violation generally but that was a stupid time to give it.

As for the tournament director cheering - both him & Ellison have made no secret of their Rafa love - probably not the best but it is what it is. Loved Stiller in Rafa's box too - Zoolander this year; it was Jesus (Jim Cavezial) in his box going nuts back in 2009. :D

No you learn about the sport. There is nothing written in the rule book where Nadal is allowed to take more than 25 seconds in between points. Considering I already said why Nadal won the match, then it's not my fault you choose to use selective reading

Tournament directors cheering outwardly for specific players whether they are friends or not isn't professional. It's commonsense which is something lacking.

Voo de Mar
03-17-2012, 01:10 AM
Poor Nalbandian losing two tight matches to Nadal on the same court :)

JediFed
03-17-2012, 01:11 AM
dumb to say when obviously #75 rank is not accurate

Right now Nalbandian is number 75 and should have taken Rafa out tonight. That's a fact.

Rafael was a bit off but considering his opponent and the circumstances nothing too surprising

Rafa played terribly tonight. All the Rafa fans were panicking at 6-4 5*-5. They had expected a SS blowout.

@Sweet Cleopatra
03-17-2012, 01:11 AM
http://www.wwgym.com/forum/images/smilies/Smilie%20-%20respect.gif

ossie
03-17-2012, 01:13 AM
this one hurts, this is a match nalbandian could have and should have won. i can only hope he doesn't go into a slump now. if he keeps up his form he can be a real threat at the slams this year imo.

Ash86
03-17-2012, 01:14 AM
No you learn about the sport. There is nothing written in the rule book where Nadal is allowed to take more than 25 seconds in between points. Considering I already said why Nadal won the match, then it's not my fault you choose to use selective reading

Tournament directors cheering outwardly for specific players whether they are friends or not isn't professional. It's commonsense which is something lacking.

I agree - it's against the rules. Call him up on it - but do it early in the match rather than at a crucial point and then deduct a point early on too. He'll stop doing it. The fact is him & Djokovic etc. aren't going to change a winning style until they see some consequences. I just don't get the point of randomly saying it towards the end of a match and then not following up on it.

And I agree about the tournament director. Ellison is the owner so him cheering is ok IMO - he's just pouring money in after all - but the tournament director is different as he has more direct control over the players, entry lists etc. It's unprofessional.

Mountaindewslave
03-17-2012, 01:15 AM
Right now Nalbandian is number 75 and should have taken Rafa out tonight. That's a fact.

Rafa played terribly tonight. All the Rafa fans were panicking at 6-4 5*-5. They had expected a SS blowout.

it's great when you take out one sentence. Nalbandian is ranked #75 and just knocked out two TOP 10 players this tournament prior to facing Nadal. no matter how you cut it, your comment that Nadal's form is horrible BECAUSE "the #75 player almost beat him" is just stupid.

Nalbandians ranking currently does not represent his talent so get over yourself. 'should have' could have would have. he didn't knock him out and he played a lot higher than he is ranked this tournament. accept facts move on, have your personal opinon but no reason to state delusions about where Nadal's game is at or where Nalbandian's is at :no:

samanosuke
03-17-2012, 01:15 AM
http://www.wwgym.com/forum/images/smilies/Smilie%20-%20respect.gif

http://images.china.cn/attachement/jpg/site1007/20120220/001372acd7d310ac401a09.jpg

Voo de Mar
03-17-2012, 01:16 AM
IMO Ellison's cheering for Fedal is rather tasteless.

Mountaindewslave
03-17-2012, 01:17 AM

oh who cares, as though that is a serious issue. get on top of Nadal about his time wasting I understand but if a guy is basically single handedly funding a Masters 1000 tournament I think we can let it slide that he has a big crush on one particular player- without Ellison this tournament would no longer exist and in all likelihood a much lower quality tournament would have taken its place.

JediFed
03-17-2012, 01:18 AM
Call him up on it - but do it early in the match

When Rafa was getting his butt handed to him?

If the director had done that you would have been angry still. Rafa was warned when he was two breaks up.

How about warning him at 6-4 1-0* when he was down that game. You just knew he was going to waste time when he was losing. That was NID.

Action Jackson
03-17-2012, 01:19 AM
I agree - it's against the rules. Call him up on it - but do it early in the match rather than at a crucial point and then deduct a point early on too. He'll stop doing it. The fact is him & Djokovic etc. aren't going to change a winning style until they see some consequences. I just don't get the point of randomly saying it towards the end of a match and then not following up on it.

And I agree about the tournament director. Ellison is the owner so him cheering is ok IMO - he's just pouring money in after all - but the tournament director is different as he has more direct control over the players, entry lists etc. It's unprofessional.

Call it when it happens, if a player foot faults second serve match point down then he has to be called irrespective of the score. The principle is the same with the time violations, once a point penalty is applied then they will get it.

No, the thing that happens when they hit the ball over the net in between a set of lines is what decides matches. The promoter shouldn't be doing it either .

HeretiC
http://images.china.cn/attachement/jpg/site1007/20120220/001372acd7d310ac401a09.jpg

Only one spoon won't cut it.

JediFed
no matter how you cut it, your comment that Nadal's form is horrible BECAUSE "the #75 player almost beat him" is just stupid.

And all too true. You're right that number 75 doesn't reflect the quality of Nadal's play tonight.

Corey Feldman
03-17-2012, 01:20 AM
Ellison and his daughter - huge Nadull tards, they were like this last year when Rafa had another one of his famous Luck outs v Karlovic

tbf tho you'd expect tournie owners to want their star men to go far as possible

Action Jackson
03-17-2012, 01:21 AM
oh who cares, as though that is a serious issue. get on top of Nadal about his time wasting I understand but if a guy is basically single handedly funding a Masters 1000 tournament I think we can let it slide that he has a big crush on one particular player- without Ellison this tournament would no longer exist and in all likelihood a much lower quality tournament would have taken its place.

Not even Don Ion Tiriac cheers openly for players at the events he runs. It's unprofessional.

Nidhogg
03-17-2012, 01:21 AM
Promising signs for David. If he stays off the burgers he should keep on climbing the rankings like nothing this year.

Sunset of Age
03-17-2012, 01:23 AM
I wasn't able to watch the match.

But when you see the scoreline, when you read the comments, all one can say is... Nalbandian. :rolls:

Expected Rafa to take him in straights though. Can any sort-of-objective poster please inform me about his level of play? :)

Action Jackson
03-17-2012, 01:23 AM
Promising signs for David. If he stays off the burgers he should keep on climbing the rankings like nothing this year.

Nalbandian has been fit for a while, it's not like he had gastric bypass yesterday and became Fit Dave :)

Nidhogg
03-17-2012, 01:25 AM
It hasn't really struck me how lean he's looking til now.

Sunset of Age
03-17-2012, 01:25 AM

Like AJ said - highly unprofessional behaviour if indeed happened like described over here. And I wonder if it would indeed be such a huge loss if this tournament would go head-over-tits, so to say.

Bring back Hamburg! :rocker2:

Mr.Michael
03-17-2012, 01:26 AM
Nalby looking quite impressive despite the loss. I felt he wasn't that eager to hear Rafa's nice words after the match.

Is it enough for Dave to be ranked around 50-60 to get into the Olympics? Or does he also have to be among the four best Argentines in the ATP rankings?

Deathless Mortal
03-17-2012, 01:28 AM
Nalby looking quite impressive despite the loss. I felt he wasn't that eager to hear Rafa's nice words after the match.

Is it enough for Dave to be ranked around 50-60 to get into the Olympics? Or does he also have to be among the four best Argentines in the ATP rankings?

He has to be among 4 best Argentines. Hopefully he will be.

Corey Feldman
03-17-2012, 01:30 AM

Nadal always full of the praise for them - when he WINS

had he lost it would have been a Davydenko handshake and hand gestures at tv cameramen

rocketassist
03-17-2012, 01:32 AM
No one can defend what Pasarell did.

It's why so many have fallen out of love with the game.

Time Violation
03-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Nadal always full of the praise for them - when he WINS

Same goes for Fed though

Mr.Michael
03-17-2012, 01:33 AM
He has to be among 4 best Argentines. Hopefully he will be.

The National Association or Olympic Federation or whatever can't pick who they want? It has to be the strictly by ranking? Same with Spain and all the nations which have more than four players with a good enough ranking.

Arkulari
03-17-2012, 01:34 AM
I wonder why people hype Nalbandian so much, yes, he's a clean ballstriker but chokes on his own sweat time and time again, hell even Juan was able to get shit done in GS unlike this guy.

Great backhand, good ROS, not much else (now watch his tards saying that his FH is the stuff of legends and that Edberg wishes he had his volleys :spit: )

Ash86
03-17-2012, 01:34 AM

But when you see the scoreline, when you read the comments, all one can say is... Nalbandian. :rolls:

Expected Rafa to take him in straights though. Can any sort-of-objective poster please inform me about his level of play? :)

Nalby was awesome for most of the first 2 sets. Sublime backhand - changing directions at will - basically doing what Djoko does to Rafa but much more prettily - far nicer shots. Rafa was okay on most of his serves except serving at 4-5 in the first when he got broken. His ROS was poor and he made a lot of UFEs (36 in total I think) but he wasn't atrocious either. Just very nervous because of Nalby.

Rafa was 2 points away from losing at 4-6, 4-5, 30-30 on Rafa's serve but he held and then Nalby DF to hand him a break. Topsy turvy third set - Nalbandian disappeared for a while - gave away a double break but then nearly broke back once and has 2 break points in the final game too. I think those criticising Rafa aren't giving Nalbandian credit. He made Rafa play riskier tennis - he made over 30 winners but also over 30 UFEs. Too many missed forehands. But on a positive note - he was almost out of it but he hung strong and fought back; saved a lot of crucial breakpoints and raised his level as the match progressed. A lot to be happy about despite how close it was.

luie
03-17-2012, 01:35 AM
The courts are slower this year , after what parsell did I see why. Poor taste

Sunset of Age
03-17-2012, 01:37 AM
Nalby was awesome for most of the first 2 sets. Sublime backhand - changing directions at will - basically doing what Djoko does to Rafa but much more prettily - far nicer shots. Rafa was okay on most of his serves except serving at 4-5 in the first when he got broken. His ROS was poor and he made a lot of UFEs (36 in total I think) but he wasn't atrocious either. Just very nervous because of Nalby.

Rafa was 2 points away from losing at 4-6, 4-5, 30-30 on Rafa's serve but he held and then Nalby DF to hand him a break. Topsy turvy third set - Nalbandian disappeared for a while - gave away a double break but then nearly broke back once and has 2 break points in the final game too. I think those criticising Rafa aren't giving Nalbandian credit. He made Rafa play riskier tennis - he made over 30 winners but also over 30 UFEs. Too many missed forehands. But on a positive note - he was almost out of it but he hung strong and fought back; saved a lot of crucial breakpoints and raised his level as the match progressed. A lot to be happy about despite how close it was.

Thank you! :)
Topsy-turvy it indeed sounds. Well in that case Nalby has a lot of positives to take from this match - or maybe, perhaps not at all, as it appears to be the story of his career. :o

Well at least Rafa prevailed.

lucho_coria
03-17-2012, 01:39 AM
Thank you David and please, do not retire never.
Congratulations Rafa, you are so big man.

MuzzahLovah
03-17-2012, 01:45 AM
I really enjoyed Dave playing well, but I always had the feeling Nadal would win one way or another. The jinx parade in the live score was not enough- we couldn't stop pig man. :sad:

evilmindbulgaria
03-17-2012, 01:47 AM
What a match! Rafa made 30UE in the first two sets, but still won the match :worship: He is the greatest fighter tennis has ever seen! Just read my signature :devil:

I feel bad for Nalby, but he has nobody else to blame but himself. That 5:5 service game in the second set was really awful!Seeing how fit he is though I think that he can do some damage this year, no way he is retiring just yet! Hopefully he wins a title this year!

And to the bitter haters in the thread (including the most pathetic one that started it) - keep hating, that just makes my day :devil:

Deathless Mortal
03-17-2012, 01:56 AM
The National Association or Olympic Federation or whatever can't pick who they want? It has to be the strictly by ranking? Same with Spain and all the nations which have more than four players with a good enough ranking.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=194348

rinnegan
03-17-2012, 01:57 AM
Dave :worship:

Fantastic effort.

Johnbert
03-17-2012, 02:29 AM
this is such a annoying result. dave, why?! :sad:

teacherling
03-17-2012, 02:40 AM
30+ year old triceratop with zillion surgeries 2 points away from a win in straights, I am at peace.

You just took the words from my mouth: "I am at peace". Who hasn't seen the light after this match knows next to nothing about tennis. It was obvious that the better player lost. But I am at peace :cool:

LinkMage
03-17-2012, 02:45 AM
Another lucky win by Nadull. :zzz:

Good thing Djokovic will spank him once again in the final. :drool:

fast_clay
03-17-2012, 02:48 AM
one player was playing tennis... the other something else, still not sure...

Mountaindewslave
03-17-2012, 02:57 AM
You just took the words from my mouth: "I am at peace". Who hasn't seen the light after this match knows next to nothing about tennis. It was obvious that the better player lost. But I am at peace :cool:

if Nalbandian was the better player he would have won the match........ prior to his surgeries and wasting away his career he still didn't finish matches so what does it matter?

the better player only occasionally loses. i think what you mean to say is the more 'talented' player lost. Nalbandian is a better ballstriker no doubt about it, but he just does not have the mental fortitude or physical prowless of Nadal. those are things that most people consider talents too.

leng jai
03-17-2012, 02:59 AM
Rafito was awful today, Dave didn't even play that well. The backhand was on fire for the first two sets though, and then goes missing in the critical set as usual. Rafito's errors today :speakles:

Ajde.

Schu
03-17-2012, 03:01 AM
Vintage Nalbandian - both the good and the bad. Yes Dave choked but so did Nadal and so did Federer and pretty much every other guy in the draw at some point - they are human.

But great to see Dave striking that ball the way few can do, running Nadal around like a puppet on a string and looking FIT and strong. Hope this tournament puts to rest the donut Dave cracks - this was Dave's 3rd tough match in a row and physically he hung in with Nadal the entire time.

I felt sorry for both Argentines today. One because of his whinning and pathetic play with little effort and the other because he fought his heart out and came up short. And who would ever have guessed Nalbandian was the latter.

Bravo Dave :worship: and congrats Nadal.

Pirata.
03-17-2012, 03:15 AM

Yep, the choking mugs of 2009-2012 like Tipsarevic, Verdasco, Troicki, Monfils, these guys are real legends.

Corey Feldman
03-17-2012, 03:20 AM
yeah i didnt get that post either

from 04-07 Nalbandy was beating Fed and hammering Nadull

leng jai
03-17-2012, 03:22 AM
I don't "get" MTF.

Ajde.

teacherling
03-17-2012, 04:16 AM
if Nalbandian was the better player he would have won the match........ prior to his surgeries and wasting away his career he still didn't finish matches so what does it matter?

the better player only occasionally loses. i think what you mean to say is the more 'talented' player lost. Nalbandian is a better ballstriker no doubt about it, but he just does not have the mental fortitude or physical prowless of Nadal. those are things that most people consider talents too.

Yes, I stand corrected. The more talented player lost. But I am at peace, anyway because it was so obvious who is who. It's not the mental fortitude though -- at least for me. It's the bohemianism and hedonism that led Dave wherever he wanted to go. After all, who knows which road one should take.

Mr. Oracle
03-17-2012, 05:33 AM
Is there animosity between these two? Naldy gave the lawnmower man a cold stare at the net, then rafa went and rubbed his back and whispered something to him.

Good heart from Naldy. Still hoping for nadal to regain his 2010 form but he's got a way to go. Nevertheless he'll gain some confidence beating fed tomorrow.

Mystique
03-17-2012, 05:35 AM
Rafito was awful today, Dave didn't even play that well. The backhand was on fire for the first two sets though, and then goes missing in the critical set as usual. Rafito's errors today :speakles:

Ajde.

NOW watch him forget how to make those in the SF :o

Start da Game
03-17-2012, 05:58 AM
i will have to watch the highlights to see what happened......rafa should not have let this go 3 sets.....on to the semis, turkey time......

E-r-i-c
03-17-2012, 06:05 AM
Rafa 39UEs in the match....

asmazif
03-17-2012, 06:38 AM
how unpredictable

paseo
03-17-2012, 06:41 AM
Never In Doubt.

tripwires
03-17-2012, 06:43 AM
:facepalm:

So close to that Fed/Nalby match and yet so far.

Fat Dave. :facepalm: :sad: :hug:

fsoica
03-17-2012, 06:48 AM
i will have to watch the highlights to see what happened......rafa should not have let this go 3 sets.....on to the semis, turkey time......

Did u watch the highlights, SdG?

Nalby is, I think, the only player that exposes the difference (in Rafa's disfavour) in talent between Rafa and the other great players of those times. The way the Argentine is able to outmaneuver Rafa and to make him run from corner to corner makes the Spaniard look quite disoriented at times. Not even Nole at his best is able to to that.

In the end Rafa prevails because he is a warrior of incredible mental strehgth and because his huge topspin messes with all his opponents heads, but those flashes and bits of humiliation that Nalby makes Nadal go through are just priceless for a painful Federer fan.

That being said, I think Rafa has great chances for a final but, still, I don't know if the Djoker will let the mental edge go in Rafa's favour by losing on Sunday. Great 2 days for tennis, probably not so great for a Roger's fan, but one cannot stop hoping, right, 0-7?

Start da Game
03-17-2012, 07:42 AM
Did u watch the highlights, SdG?

Nalby is, I think, the only player that exposes the difference (in Rafa's disfavour) in talent between Rafa and the other great players of those times. The way the Argentine is able to outmaneuver Rafa and to make him run from corner to corner makes the Spaniard look quite disoriented at times. Not even Nole at his best is able to to that.

In the end Rafa prevails because he is a warrior of incredible mental strehgth and because his huge topspin messes with all his opponents heads, but those flashes and bits of humiliation that Nalby makes Nadal go through are just priceless for a painful Federer fan.

That being said, I think Rafa has great chances for a final but, still, I don't know if the Djoker will let the mental edge go in Rafa's favour by losing on Sunday. Great 2 days for tennis, probably not so great for a Roger's fan, but one cannot stop hoping, right, 0-7?

he's just being a little inconsistent and that's making the difference......he never used to miss with his off forehands and the backhand.....one could define consistency in word saying nadal.....these days he is misfiring a lot and that's reflected by that 39 ue stat......

allpro
03-17-2012, 07:47 AM
foregone conclusion when it went to the decider. a well deserved standing-o for nalby and great fight from nadal, as usual.

Shinoj
03-17-2012, 08:05 AM
Tennis Lost yesterday.

But i am sure it will win eventually.

Allez
03-17-2012, 08:08 AM
Nid ;)

Start da Game
03-17-2012, 08:25 AM
trq3p_-QkX8

what did he say to nalby in the end? it looks like nalby played a gem of a match but as usual nadal's persistence is what makes the difference......rafa will peak for the semis and finals.....

nalbyfan
03-17-2012, 08:25 AM
I feel like strangling El Rey.....he should have won 6/4 6/4, it's stupid to let Fatbutt win....
David you are ridiculous sometimes !!!

BroTree123
03-17-2012, 08:31 AM
A struggle in the QF, only to destroy Fed in the SF. What else is new?

leng jai
03-17-2012, 08:32 AM
The game to lose serve in the second set was pure genius. Drop shot error in the middle of the net. Shite putaway volley that Rafito got to and passed him with. Forehand error at deuce and double fault on BP. Dave :speakles:

Ajde.

henke007
03-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Chokebandian def Fit Dave , oh and Luckdal was watching this!!

moon language
03-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Nadal seems to be serving weaker than usual this tournament. He's obviously going to have to go for more against Nole if that match happens. On the flip side he seems to be more willing to step in and take some cracks at the backhand down the line, which is something he almost never did last year and that could be a good development for his game. Also Nadal hit some incredible volleys that seemed lucky, but the fact that he did it multiple times suggests otherwise. I guess the doubles paid off.

Nalbandian played well but I think he was still a bit off his best and played it safe a little more than he needed to with his ground strokes at times. There were a lot of situations where he could have unloaded and taken control of the point but he held back. To me that says a lot about the kind of threat he can still be to Nadal if he keeps regaining his form and confidence.

MIMIC
03-17-2012, 09:33 AM
This was a great match. Entertained my non-tennis watching family :yeah:

GOAT in progress
03-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Ajde Rafa. Destroy old complex again.

samanosuke
03-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Ajde Rafa. Destroy old complex again.

:lol: noletards are aware this is the final. If nadal wins the title is nole's, if fed beats nadal surely won't lose to nole

GSMnadal
03-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Nadal was beyond awful in the first hour and a half or so, couldn't keep a ball in play (when's the last time this guy had 39 UE's in 3 sets?), Nalbandian played about as well as he could. After that Nadal raised his level, Nalby's dropped because of this, and it was over.

Jverweij
03-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Nadal was beyond awful in the first hour and a half or so, couldn't keep a ball in play (when's the last time this guy had 39 UE's in 3 sets?), Nalbandian played about as well as he could. After that Nadal raised his level, Nalby's dropped because of this, and it was over.

are you for real? Did you not see their matches in 2007? Nadal played way better there then he did today and still got smashed.

Nadal was awful for most of the match today. Nalbandian was so-so, and blew it when it mattered. I was especially disappointed with the timid balls Nalby played most of the time. If you're gonna make this many UE's you might as well try to hit some serious offensive shots. Alot of his shots dropped short and landed in the middle of the court. If Nadal had been in better form, he'd have won this in 2 easy sets against this Nalbandian.

Sombrerero loco
03-17-2012, 09:46 AM
nalby cant win against nadal, rafa is way stronger mentally and physically also

samanosuke
03-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Nalbandian played about as well as he could.

oh my boy. clearly not too interested in tennis when Dave was playing as well as he could . Nalbandian playing as well as he could would have beaten nadal badly, something like 2 and 3 and this with the assumption nadal playing well, not shitty like yesterday

GOAT in progress
03-17-2012, 09:50 AM
:lol: noletards are aware this is the final. If nadal wins the title is nole's, if fed beats nadal surely won't lose to nole

Final is final, semi is semi. Such statements always sounded dumb to me.

GSMnadal
03-17-2012, 10:00 AM
are you for real? Did you not see their matches in 2007? Nadal played way better there then he did today and still got smashed.

Nadal was awful for most of the match today. Nalbandian was so-so, and blew it when it mattered. I was especially disappointed with the timid balls Nalby played most of the time. If you're gonna make this many UE's you might as well try to hit some serious offensive shots. Alot of his shots dropped short and landed in the middle of the court. If Nadal had been in better form, he'd have won this in 2 easy sets against this Nalbandian.

oh my boy. clearly not too interested in tennis when Dave was playing as well as he could . Nalbandian playing as well as he could would have beaten nadal badly, something like 2 and 3 and this with the assumption nadal playing well, not shitty like yesterday

Yes, stop living in 2007, it's 2012 now. This Nalbandian can't play much better than this.

Jverweij
03-17-2012, 10:05 AM
there's no way to tell. All we know is that he has the potential to play alot better. I for one very much doubt that this is his best.

EddieNero
03-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Nalbandian is a nightmare match-up for Nadal tennis-wise, yet dream match-up mindset-wise.
Nadal just needed to survive till Dave's mental collapse and this encounter was pretty much over then.

Chris Kuerten
03-17-2012, 10:27 AM
UGH, this went from potentially being the greatest result of all time (not even overstating) to a match which will leave me with a sick feeling for quite a while.

mystic ice cube
03-17-2012, 10:45 AM

This is pretty much the match. I have to give credit to Nalby for putting up a fight and playing some great tennis, but ultimately that game cost him dearly. Credit to Nadal for hanging in there.

Why did people boo around the end of the first match where the umpire had to intervene? Was it because Nadal wasn't playing well? If so, that is pathetic.

arm
03-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Only watched the first set, and tbh, I think Nalby was lucky to win that one. :shrug: Then I feel asleep and woke up to find out the result was NID.

masterclass
03-17-2012, 11:47 AM

Agree almost 100% with this^^ and AJ's initial comments. I think the owner's cheering also doesn't show much class, pouring money in doesn't excuse it. And I'd say the same thing about any other TD or owner anywhere else publicly cheering for a player. In these positions one must show some restraint, no matter their personal preference. Of course one can applaud each player for well played tennis. It's the over the top stuff that is tasteless.

Respectfully,
masterclass

tennishero
03-17-2012, 11:59 AM
damn it david... always wins the first set then loses.

Shinoj
03-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Nadal should be fined for taking more than 25 seconds. It doesnt matter really whether it is a critical juncture or not. He could be or he should be fined at any juncture in a match regardless of the situation.

I will give out the reason why.

To reach at a critical juncture he would have played at all those time when it was not critical at his own sweet rhythm. And in effect playing at his own rhythm he would have disturbed his opponent's rhythm countless times. So he already gains considerable advantage while reaching at critical juncture and its only fair that he gets fined at that critical point.

Anyways its about time that He gets fined for taking more than 25 seconds. Its getting annoying and ridiculous that the rules are not being applied on him.

HeretiC
03-17-2012, 12:39 PM

He was quite bad, especially in the first set, you could see that he is giving too much respect and is afraid of Nalbandian's game, he was not comfortable and he was going for more than needed. Funny thing is that Nalby didn't even played good in that set too, except for a couple of scary good points near the end of the set
In the second they both raised their level, but David was the one with more chances and had slightly upper hand, BP in the opening game 0:30 on 4:3, 30:30 on 5:4, Nadal was a bit lucky there, a line clipping and a net cord and after that Nalbandian really fucked it up, easy put away volley, drop shot attempt and a DF.
In the third the argie just went away for a while, but Nadal gave him a big chance to get back in the match.

Is there animosity between these two? Naldy gave the lawnmower man a cold stare at the net, then rafa went and rubbed his back and whispered something to him.

Good heart from Naldy. Still hoping for nadal to regain his 2010 form but he's got a way to go. Nevertheless he'll gain some confidence beating fed tomorrow.

Nope, they are excellent friends off the court. Nadal has big respect for him, and when it comes to Nalbandian, I doubt he has much respect for anyone's game and he does look like he is afraid of no one, but he is usually battling with his his inner demons regardless of the opponent, that is why he had such a big wins over top players and big looses against journeymen in the past.

Yes, stop living in 2007, it's 2012 now. This Nalbandian can't play much better than this.

Watch a match against Tipsarevic just a couple of days ago.

LoveFifteen
03-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Oh great, yet ANOTHER match we'll have to hear Nalbandian tards talking about for years. Instead of deserving to win, why can't he just win? He's anything but a champion.

HeretiC
03-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Oh great, yet ANOTHER match we'll have to hear Nalbandian tards talking about for years. Instead of deserving to win, why can't he just win? He's anything but a champion.

Cause he wasn't good enough to win. :shrug:

ElMix
03-17-2012, 12:47 PM
That was so close, but the result was unfortunately NID after the 2nd set. Nalbandian looks really fit, btw.

born_on_clay
03-17-2012, 08:19 PM
:yeah:

tennishero
03-17-2012, 11:41 PM
nalby really gifted the match to nadal once again. fucking pig.

Stephan
03-18-2012, 12:15 AM
almost to the end of second set David made us believing that he will go to win...
he was just dominant better player...
i'm so disappointed...:(

fifthsetshootout
03-18-2012, 10:49 AM
I wonder why people hype Nalbandian so much, yes, he's a clean ballstriker but chokes on his own sweat time and time again, hell even Juan was able to get shit done in GS unlike this guy.

Great backhand, good ROS, not much else (now watch his tards saying that his FH is the stuff of legends and that Edberg wishes he had his volleys :spit: )

Nalbandian's touch at the net? His dropshots? His lobs?

Yes, Nalbandian's had his fair share of "stupid" moments (with the dropshots and lobs), but his style is something else. I think too many folks buy too heavily into the image of him as a choker and a slacker (which to an extent, is a fair analysis of him), but cutting down his talents as a tennis player is treading into dangerous territory. While he will forever be remembered by the public as an underachiever, it speaks to his accomplishments & capabilities (his top 3 ranking, the year-end championship win over Fed in 2005, the numerous wins over Fed & Nadal in his prime) that people still watch him to this day. You can laugh at Nalbandian all you want, but there aren't too many other players who could push Rafa to 3 sets on a slower court and expose Rafa's weaknesses, while making him gut it out for the win. Yes, Nalbandian had some severe brain cramps at the very important moments, but not too many other players would have done enough to bring themselves to even face those very important moments.

You can say Nalbandian lacked the mental fortitude/attitude, but to cast him aside as nothing more than a
"great BH + ROS, but nothing else" is equally questionable. Maybe you ought to watch more of his matches...

Mateya
03-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Nice performance from Nalby :hatoff: Too bad he couldn't finish it off in the second set. Yes, I'm a hidden Nalbytard too.

Who wants to play unseeded Nalbandian in the 1st round of Miami? :scared: :unsure:
He's more dangerous at the moment than the majority of seeds, except top 10.

ReturnWinner
03-18-2012, 03:51 PM
this was the third time Nalbandian has choked against Pigdal.
He has a nightmare match up for Nadull but lack the mental strenght to finish him off.