IW R4: Djokovic pātisseries + survives Andujar 6-0, 6-7(5), 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

IW R4: Djokovic pātisseries + survives Andujar 6-0, 6-7(5), 6-2

asmazif
03-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Andujar played like a jar of dirt for the first half an hour or so, while Nole looked pretty sharp. He then proceeded to play his heart out in the second, hitting with nothing to lose (with a classic 0/7 BP conversion), jarring Nole somewhat. Third was a pretty standard outcome. Was a great effort from Mr. Jar :hatoff:

JAR

MIMIC
03-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Andujar on fire in the 2nd (and a bit of the 3rd)

Awesome test for Novak.

GSMnadal
03-14-2012, 08:30 PM
This man can play. Now he needs a pair of cojones to get those BP's in and save some as well

Mr. Oracle
03-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Good warmup from a gritty opponent for the inevitable date with the lawnmower man in the final.

nsidhan
03-14-2012, 08:31 PM
I don't think Pablo was in a mood for that hug at the net.

Yves.
very good break point conversion 5/5

LastRocket
Good fight from andujar

http://i42.tinypic.com/33mue61.jpg

nsidhan
This man can play. Now he needs a pair of cojones to get those BP's in and save some as well

That can be said of anyone outside the top 10 actually. :shrug:

henke007
03-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Andujar showed us he could play vs Nadal and today he played great. Most of the bp.s were saved by Nole.

Ben.
Jar...... Jar?

EddieNero
Too bad Pablito can produce this good shit only against Djokovic.
I can bet my house he would bend over to Nadal nicely without any fight.

LocoPorElTenis
Andujar lost the 13 bps that were played in this match :spit:

JediFed
Djoko just about pissed this away. 8 BPs, including one in the final set.

68 percent winning on FS, isn't going to cut it. Second serve bailed Djoko out here.

MuzzahLovah
I don't think Pablo was in a mood for that hug at the net.

But Djokovic couldn't resist. Andujar is a very sexy man.

GSMnadal
03-14-2012, 08:33 PM
That can be said of anyone outside the top 3 actually. :shrug:

Doesn't make it less true. It's the big difference between them and the slamless chumps

Time Violation
03-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Nole only 2 UEs in the 1st and leaking them off the backhand all over the places after that. :( Andujar fought really hard, deserved the 2nd completely, and was better than the result suggests in the 3rd :)

Naudio Spanlatine
03-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Nole wasnt at his best today but he got the job done:cheerleader: :)

Pablo great great effort in the second unfortunately you ran outta gas but amazing effort:worship: :hug: :smooch:

Voo de Mar
Andujar was two points away from losing this match 0-6 4-6 and being bashed here for a beatdown. Good performance from him between middle of 2nd and 3rd set, but D'Joke helped a lot making pathetic mistakes at 5:4 in the 2nd set and in the tie-break.

I wonder why Djokovic in the past had fantastic tie-break record being an inferior player in respect of different things comparing to himself nowadays, currently his TB ratio is average.

I think it's mainly connected to his magnificent physical preparation, he doesn't need to focus extremely in tie-breaks as he is still far away from losing a match, he prefers to keep the highest concentration on the crucial stages of the decidng set.

Sunset of Age
Great, great fight from Andujar! WHAT a performance, after losing that first set 0-6. After that, nothing to lose, and he surely showed that. Won the 2nd set TB, and unfortunately suffered an immediate break in the 3rd set, but never gave up, in stead, kept on fighting. This guy has COJONES - Fiasco, did you watch your countryman, here? - ;)
=> straight into my siggie. :yeah:

Eventually Djoko's talent and, moreover, experience prevailed. Still, no way near to his unbeatable form of 2011 imho, and to all who claim he'll easily deal defeat #8 to Rafa, should they both reach the final here - do you still feel that sure? :aplot:
Sure as hell I don't, and I'm not minding that at all. :angel:

JediFed
03-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Nadal better stock up on some Big Macs before thinking about Djoko.

Sham Kay
03-14-2012, 08:41 PM

Thinking less selfishly, from Andujar's point of view his problem isn't bending over to the likes of Nadal, it's bending over to the likes of Chela on hard and Freddy Gil.

GSMnadal
03-14-2012, 08:45 PM

:facepalm:

He pushed Nadal at Roland Garros, even had 5-1 or something. Okay, he choked after that, but he still put up a great fight.

Allez
03-14-2012, 08:49 PM
At least Nole has been tested in this tournament. Probably his only real test.

EddieNero
03-14-2012, 08:53 PM
:facepalm:

He pushed Nadal at Roland Garros, even had 5-1 or something. Okay, he choked after that, but he still put up a great fight.

Nadal was playing so bad Andujar should have take that match to 5 sets.

tennizen
03-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Andujar was two points away from losing this match 0-6 4-6 and being bashed here for a beatdown. Good performance from him between middle of 2nd and 3rd set, but D'Joke helped a lot making pathetic mistakes at 5:4 in the 2nd set and in the tie-break.

Andujar also served really well in the early part of the second set.

nole_no1
03-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Nole just wanted more practice
Andujar played better than i expected though. I enjoyed the match
Take the title Nole :yeah:

Nole fan
03-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Never in doubt.

DrJules
03-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Did not expect Djokovic to lose a set here.

Nadal only player in top 5 not to have dropped a set here.

samanosuke
03-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Nole desperately needs a match against Nadal to rebuild the confidence . Loss on those 2 sets at AO dismentals him badly

rob_z
03-14-2012, 09:44 PM
I wonder why Djokovic in the past had fantastic tie-break record being an inferior player in respect of different things comparing to himself nowadays, currently his TB ratio is average.

A tie break remains a bit of a gamble. It is who has the momentum of his sideat that moment. Some players go for an defensive approach and others for an offensive approach during a tie break. And sometimes the chosen gameplan pays out. Good concentration and a bit of luck also helps in a tie break.

tnosugar
03-14-2012, 09:46 PM
this was not reassuring. Anduhar reminds me of Tipsarevic a bit, and Djokovic doesn't seem to click against that style of play. Persistent fast paced shots with low bounce.

shuhrat
03-14-2012, 10:00 PM
A tie break remains a bit of a gamble. It is who has the momentum of his sideat that moment. Some players go for an defensive approach and others for an offensive approach during a tie break. And sometimes the chosen gameplan pays out. Good concentration and a bit of luck also helps in a tie break.
From 75% (till mid 2008, it's even more remarkable, considering many of them were played when he was a youngster) to 55+% (since then) is huge drop-off. I don't think it can be explained in that simple way. It's one of the biggest mysteries of his career for me and very frustrating one.

Time Violation
03-14-2012, 10:20 PM
From 75% (till mid 2008, it's even more remarkable, considering many of them were played when he was a youngster) to 55+% (since then) is huge drop-off. I don't think it can be explained in that simple way. It's one of the biggest mysteries of his career for me and very frustrating one.

Probably it has something to do with his serve as well, since a good serve is huge help in TBs; in 2007 and 2008 he was really serving well, compared to later disasters in 2009 and 2010.

howyesno
03-14-2012, 10:33 PM
noone is good enough to have consistently 75% success in tiebreaks, against people good enough to make him play a tiebreak. theory of big numbers fixed that anomaly

VolandriFan
03-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Unfortunately I had no internet to watch this match, but I'm encouraged by the comments I'm reading. I am noticing a trend with his poor BP conversion lately though, hopefully he can work on that, along with week-to-week consistency.

Maybe people will stop underrating Pablito now. ;)

Voo de Mar
03-14-2012, 10:54 PM

In the last two years he played 4 deciding set tie-breaks (Kohlschreiber, Nadal, Murray, Berdych), and won them all; beating Nadal and Murray 7-6 in the 3rd is exceptionally tough, therefore I think he saves his concentration for the most important moments whereas in sets which aren't decisive he plays tie-breaks on 80%. Obviously he gave everything in losing tie-breaks in the last two major finals, although they weren't deciding, but both of them lost to Nadal, who is able to push himself mentally to the limits when it's required :shrug:

shuhrat
03-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Probably it has something to do with his serve as well, since a good serve is huge help in TBs; in 2007 and 2008 he was really serving well, compared to later disasters in 2009 and 2010.Deterioration of serve is probably the most reasonable explanation. Apart from 2010 season, it wasn't such a big hole though. When the records is below average and one of the worst among top 20 in your career-best season, I don't know what to say.

In the last two years he played 4 deciding set tie-breaks (Kohlschreiber, Nadal, Murray, Berdych), and won them all; beating Nadal and Murray 7-6 in the 3rd is exceptionally tough, therefore I think he saves his concentration for the most important moments whereas in sets which aren't decisive he plays tie-breaks on 80%. Obviously he gave everything in losing tie-breaks in the last two major finals, although they weren't deciding, but both of them lost to Nadal, who is able to push himself mentally to the limits when it's required :shrug:
While it's impressive that basically he didn't miss those important ones, I'm not convinced by your theory. I'm not telling you it's wrong by any means, just trying to find more plausible excuses. Probably it won't be successful though. :p

Voo de Mar
03-14-2012, 11:23 PM
While it's impressive that basically he didn't miss those important ones, I'm not convinced by your theory. I'm not telling you it's wrong by any means, just trying to find more plausible excuses. Probably it won't be successful though. :p

I guess he reached last year this mindset characteristic for Nadal through many years, which now Del Potro tries to reach, namely he maintains concentration on a very high level throughout a match, and isn't affected by any disadvantageous outcomes. IMO it's the key to win matches like against Murray and Nadal in Melbourne, where he lost tie-break sets being close to win those sets, but in the end prevailed 7-5 in the 5th set. It's a matter of maintaining composure around 80% throughout the match, and suddenly increasing it to 100% at the end to make the decisive blow.

shuhrat
03-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the additional explanation. I'll think about it. :)

ETA: One thing I agree on is it's more psychological issue.

IMO, the fall was triggered by losing some critical TBs in the middle of 2008.

RG SF: 0-1 to Nadal
Queens F: 0-1 to Nadal
Wimbledon R2: 0-1 to Safin
Toronto QF: 0-1 to Murray
Cincinnati F: 0-2 to Murray

Farenhajt
03-14-2012, 11:38 PM

I think he used to take tiebreaks as a mental exercise: "Play this point by point and be focused RIGHT NOW. What's gone is gone, you have to take 7 points NOW and HERE." Such an attitude almost invariably yielded a positive result for him. Sometimes it even looked like he was looking FORWARD to a tiebreak - to erase whatever happened in the set and get on with that mini match of tennis.

Nowadays his game is simply different. Tiebreak is no longer psycho-exercise playground, but a mere gamble (as for most of other players), and generally, he's adopted a game which avoids getting to tiebreaks in the first place. (Carb factory is as anti-tiebreak strategy as possible.)

ossie
03-15-2012, 12:03 AM
i hope this is a case of djoker saving his best for last because he is going to need it when he goes down against delpo in the final.

stebs
03-15-2012, 12:13 AM
I guess he reached last year this mindset characteristic for Nadal through many years, which now Del Potro tries to reach, namely he maintains concentration on a very high level throughout a match, and isn't affected by any disadvantageous outcomes. IMO it's the key to win matches like against Murray and Nadal in Melbourne, where he lost tie-break sets being close to win those sets, but in the end prevailed 7-5 in the 5th set. It's a matter of maintaining composure around 80% throughout the match, and suddenly increasing it to 100% at the end to make the decisive blow.

Agree with this. Also true as mentioned earlier that his early success in breakers was such that maintaining that record was actually implausible (he was at an all time high % I believe).

BroTree123
03-15-2012, 12:15 AM
Losing 2nd set TB :facepalm:

rinnegan
03-15-2012, 12:22 AM
Nole was too kind in giving Andujar false hope.

SERBINATOR
03-15-2012, 02:28 AM
Andujar played well in set 2
hope he plays better in the coming round

Vamos_Me_Rafa
03-15-2012, 02:28 AM
Drats. :(

Alex999
03-15-2012, 02:57 AM
kudos to Pablo for fighting hard, but I still have this feeling that Nole was simply fooling around and experimenting. as if he is using these type of matches to practice ...

cutesteve22
03-15-2012, 03:04 AM
Pablo :worship:
shame he couldn't win 2nd set in easier way, he might had more gas to compete in 3rd set:sad:

Alex999
03-15-2012, 03:21 AM
Pablo :worship:
shame he couldn't win 2nd set in easier way, he might had more gas to compete in 3rd set:sad:
well, again that what separates the top guys from the rest... same old story. Did you really expect Pablo to beat Nole?

MIMIC
03-15-2012, 03:24 AM
well, again that what separates the top guys from the rest... same old story. Did you really expect Pablo to beat Nole?

I certainly didn't think he could win the whole thing (because Novak would step his game up) but I posted in the commentary thread that he stood a GREAT chance of winning the 2nd set.

And I was pissed that I was right :lol:

Alex999
03-15-2012, 04:05 AM
I certainly didn't think he could win the whole thing (because Novak would step his game up) but I posted in the commentary thread that he stood a GREAT chance of winning the 2nd set.

And I was pissed that I was right :lol:
good for you Mim, still love ya :)

Nole fan
03-15-2012, 11:40 AM
i hope this is a case of djoker saving his best for last because he is going to need it when he goes down against delpo in the final.

*cough*cough*

Time Violation
03-15-2012, 12:36 PM
*cough*cough*

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, however ossie has yet to achieve such level of accuracy :p

masterclass
03-15-2012, 01:41 PM

I would have to include his 2011 Roland Garros loss in the final set tiebreaker to Federer in this list. It may not have been the 5th set, but it definitely decided the outcome of the match. By this definition, you can also include his win against Tipsarevic in the Dubai 2012 QF.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Sapeod
03-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Djokovic, lucky as always.

asmazif
03-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Djokovic, lucky as always.

Ah yes, the logical conclusion to draw from a match where someone loses a tight set (with better stats) and wins the other two 0 and 2.

Sapeod
03-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Ah yes, the logical conclusion to draw from a match where someone loses a tight set (with better stats) and wins the other two 0 and 2.
That doesn't matter. Andujar could've easily won, but he played pretty mediocre in that last set. It's a shame. He played an amazing second set and if he had kept that up, he would've sent Djokovic home and saved tennis. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

EliSter
03-15-2012, 10:14 PM
That doesn't matter. Andujar could've easily won, but he played pretty mediocre in that last set. It's a shame. He played an amazing second set and if he had kept that up, he would've sent Djokovic home and saved tennis. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

If grandma had a dick she would be grandpa....

asmazif
03-15-2012, 10:17 PM

He did, it was a great effort :hatoff: And if he sustained his level (unlikely) and Djokovic maintained his average play (also unlikely), then yes, he would (have had a chance to) win. But he didn't sustain his level, and Djokovic raised his, played better and won. Luck had nothing to do with it :shrug:

tbh I'm amazed you actually watched it, seeing as you severely dislike Djokovic and Pabs seemingly had little upset potential.

Sapeod
03-15-2012, 10:33 PM
If grandma had a dick she would be grandpa....
Technically, she'd be a hermaphrodite.
He did, it was a great effort :hatoff: And if he sustained his level (unlikely) and Djokovic maintained his average play (also unlikely), then yes, he would (have had a chance to) win. But he didn't sustain his level, and Djokovic raised his, played better and won. Luck had nothing to do with it :shrug:

tbh I'm amazed you actually watched it, seeing as you severely dislike Djokovic and Pabs seemingly had little upset potential.
This was a missed opportunity for Andujar. He's quite good on hardcourt.

I watch any match that I can get my hands on. Even if it's players that I hate, I'll still watch the match, because it's a tennis match. That said, it wasn't a bad match. Of course, I lost interest as soon as Andujar started slowing down. Just so you know, I missed the first set.

EliSter
03-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Technically, she'd be a hermaphrodite.

Thanks capetain obvious :rolleyes:

MIMIC
03-15-2012, 10:44 PM

And if a cat had a square ass, it would shit bricks.

NEXT.

NikolaBGD
03-15-2012, 11:47 PM

Standard Cabbage:cool:

I hoped that with time he will grove up, but he doesn't show any signes of maturity...

Sapeod
03-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Standard Cabbage:cool:

I hoped that with time he will grove up, but he doesn't show any signes of maturity...
I predicted you'd say cabbage as soon as I saw your name as the last reply. How predictable.

Also, on the topic of that nickname, do you even know what you're saying when you refer to me as that? I'm guessing you're following fast_clay's former example and calling me that. Can you not think for yourself, or something? You do know it pretty much means you're calling me a retard, right? That's not very nice, you know :awww: However, I didn't expect you do understand that, so perhaps I'm being too hard on you here.

Sapeod
03-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks capetain obvious :rolleyes:
You're very welcome.
And if a cat had a square ass, it would shit bricks.

NEXT.
Uh, no it wouldn't. If it had a square ass, it would still shit normally. It would just have a weird shaped ass. I think your attempt at a funny joke was pretty poor.

EliSter
03-16-2012, 05:03 PM
You're very welcome.

Uh, no it wouldn't. If it had a square ass, it would still shit normally. It would just have a weird shaped ass. I think your attempt at a funny joke was pretty poor.

http://files.sharenator.com/you_dont_say_Brown_Egg_VS_White_Egg-s299x220-244800-580.jpg

Broskie91
03-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Doesn't make it less true. It's the big difference between them and the slamless chumps

you're a complete hack.
Sick of people talking shite about players like that. Andujar played great, sorry for your sake that he didn't win a break point, you arrogant douche.

GSMnadal
03-16-2012, 08:49 PM
you're a complete hack.
Sick of people talking shite about players like that. Andujar played great, sorry for your sake that he didn't win a break point, you arrogant douche.

Apparently the mods were sick of you soon enough :superlol:

Time Violation
03-16-2012, 09:03 PM
He won't be missed :lol:

rinnegan
03-16-2012, 11:26 PM
He won't be missed :lol:

This. :haha: