CH Dallas R1: Mahut def. Schoorel 6-3 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

CH Dallas R1: Mahut def. Schoorel 6-3 6-4

Filo V.
03-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Reason I post this result some may find irrelevant is because Thomas Schoorel is a guy a lot of people, including me, hyped last season as someone to look out for in 2012, expecting big things, a progression of his level on hardcourt, and continued advancement in his career. Well, after being broken 3 times in the third set to lose to Sergei Bubka in Indian Wells qualifying, he follows it up with winning slightly over half of return points against the great returner that is Nicolas Mahut. Schoorel was down 6-3 *2-1, broke back to level the scores, but then double faulted twice his immediate next service game, including on BP, to dump serve again. At that point, he had won 49% of service points.

Schoorel is just another in a long line of youngsters who appear to be stalling out after showing great promise.

With that being said, it's good, mostly comfortable win for Nicolas.

motorhead
03-14-2012, 08:25 PM
he should stick to clay courts

Yves.
03-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Schoorel is still coming back from injury, has only played three tournaments this year, including a CH QF and SF.

Ad Wim
03-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Reason I post this result some may find irrelevant is because Thomas Schoorel is a guy a lot of people, including me, hyped last season as someone to look out for in 2012, expecting big things, a progression of his level on hardcourt, and continued advancement in his career. Well, after being broken 3 times in the third set to lose to Sergei Bubka in Indian Wells qualifying, he follows it up with winning slightly over half of return points against the great returner that is Nicolas Mahut. Schoorel was down 6-3 *2-1, broke back to level the scores, but then double faulted twice his immediate next service game, including on BP, to dump serve again. At that point, he had won 49% of service points.

Schoorel is just another in a long line of youngsters who appear to be stalling out after showing great promise.

With that being said, it's good, mostly comfortable win for Nicolas.

He is just back after being out for almost 6 months. Give the guy a break.

Filo V.
03-14-2012, 08:43 PM
I'll give him the injury benefit, but the reality is, his results off clay have been/are very unimpressive overall and aren't getting better. Obviously, he needs more time and his fans should be patient, but what's clear is he's not ready yet to fully take advantage of his talent.