IW R3: Federer def Raonic 6-7 (4) 6-2 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

IW R3: Federer def Raonic 6-7 (4) 6-2 6-4

jonas
03-14-2012, 04:19 AM
Rather disappointing match.

Feverer stepped it up when he needed to, though.

Roger couldn't return a serve to save his live in the first. Milos won 96% points from his 1st serves.

In the second he started to get a better read on Milos serve, who dropped a level as well: bam, 6-2.

Third set was a bit of a struggle from both. Some great shots from Roger sealed the break and then it was all over.

I'm impressed with Milos composure and calmness. He belongs on the big courts.

I can't see Roger getting past SF here.

viruzzz
03-14-2012, 04:20 AM
A good thing. Roger converted his only BP in 3rd set.

Pirata.
Decent match, lots of nice winners, Milos has nothing to be ashamed of really aside from trusting Mo with those two balls :o Would love to see them face off on grass.

Certinfy
Raonic served like utter crap in the last 2 sets, could barely make a first serve.

But good learning experience and good that he took a set.

Chase Visa
03-14-2012, 04:21 AM
Too close for comfort for Federer.

navy75
Man did Milos get hosed at 0-15 in that final game, but why he didn't at least challenge that is beyond me.

Action Jackson
Raonic should have challenged twice. Even then he did well and will learn a lot from this match.

LisaKoh
What was with the line calling during the last game? I'm genuinely asking, I ran to the bathroom and didn't see it.

samanosuke
03-14-2012, 04:22 AM
A year ago or so doubt Fed would have won this match after that disgusting first set . Raonic and his trusting to Lahyani :lol:

castle007
Good win for Federer. Raonic played great, and his serve was on fire in the first set. But as the match progressed, Federer started to read Raonic's serve better.

I have to note though that there were 2 bad calls in the the third that went against Raonic. He should have challenged, but the umpire gave him bad advice. haha

MuzzahLovah
Overratedonic

nsidhan
03-14-2012, 04:23 AM
Rather disappointing match.

Feverer stepped it up when he needed to, though.

Roger couldn't return a serve to save his live in the first. Milos won 96% points from his 1st serves.

In the second he started to get a better read on Milos serve, who dropped a level as well: bam, 6-2.

Third set was a bit of a struggle from both. Some great shots from Roger sealed the break and then it was all over.

I'm impressed with Milos composure and calmness. He belongs on the big courts.

I can't see Roger getting past SF here.

Why...are you busy on Saturday? Can't watch the match? ;)

Mr. Oracle
03-14-2012, 04:23 AM
Federer in his element as he allows the miscall to stand. You could tell he felt some guilt on the ensuing point but this Federer will do anything to win so it's no surprise. No matter, he will be nadal's pigeon in a couple of nights.

Voo de Mar
03-14-2012, 04:24 AM
As I expected, when Raonic was serving well, he was holding his service games comfortably. In the last two sets his 1st serve percentage dropped to 50% and Federer broke him thrice. But congrats to Raonic for playing good tie-break, especially nice kick-serves at 0:1 and 5:4 in the TB, they helped a lot to hang in there 30 minutes longer :yeah:

nsidhan
03-14-2012, 04:24 AM
Good win for Federer. Raonic played great, and his serve was on fire in the first set. But as the match progressed, Federer started to read Raonic's serve better.

I have to note though that there were 2 bad calls in the the third that went against Raonic. He should have challenged, but the umpire gave him bad advice. haha

Mo is a Fedtard...he told me himself once ;).

BroTree123
03-14-2012, 04:25 AM
Milos will always be the guy who loses close matches against decent players.

Kat_YYZ
Good stuff from both guys. It's tough when facing a new opponent. Roger had little chance to get any rhythm as the rallies were short, but that was probably for the best as his body might not have held up otherwise if he has a virus.

Milos was good but not solid enough on his serve later on. And I don't know what he's saving those challenges for. can you trade them in for free coffee at the cafeteria? Live and learn, I guess.

castle007
What was with the line calling during the last game? I'm genuinely asking, I ran to the bathroom and didn't see it.

I think Federer hit a serve at 4-3 that was called in, Raonic should have challenged, but Lahyani told him that it was in.

And in the last game, a Ranoic FH was called out, but it was clearly on the line.

Certinfy
03-14-2012, 04:26 AM
Raonic is pretty lucky he wasn't playing a better returner in the last 2 sets, could have gotten really ugly. But credit to Federer, returned Raonic's serve better than I expected tonight.

SERBINATOR
Lahyani :worship:

MaratandMilos
3 sets for Fed was my initial prediction. I figured Milos would take a TB and he did.

Milos didn't serve nearly as well as he could have, though. He needed to do better than that to have a real chance at an upset. Still, for his first ever match against Federer, he fared quite well. That should give him confidence for the rest of this year.

Arkulari
http://i.imgur.com/ciyPw.jpg

When Raonic's serve was working very well he had to win in a TB, Roger lost ONE point to lose that set.

Once the Canadian's serve dropped a bit, Roger won somewhat comfortably because he's simply a better player.

And the reason there were so many DF is that both players were going for broke with their serves, shades of Sampras/Ivanisevic.

Filo V.
03-14-2012, 04:27 AM
Milos was very impressive at times, but as the match went onward you could sort of see some of his weaknesses come to the surface, particularly as his serve percentage dropped. With that being said, he gave a good account of himself and should use this match as a learning experience for future matches............but we need to put this to bed right now. Milos isn't quite there yet to beat the elite players and is a little bit overrated currently. Still needs some more time and development but he has the chance to be a great one.

Roger played a very professional, workmanlike match. The final two points to break in the third set was classic Roger. He served well and he hit the forehand well overall. His backhand/returning was hit and miss, but he did a great job on the big points in the final two sets hitting some great returns and backhands in important moments. Overall, a decent performance, he got through the potential scare while not at his absolute best: all one can ask for.

justafanYYC

True but why do players even ask the umpire? Just challenge. You've got 3 of them!

Mystique
Great win in the end for Roger, nice fight and he took his chances in the second and third set. I thought he was done for after losing the first set with such passive play and given his ROS, but he really stepped it up while Raonic's level dipped.

I cant see him going beyond the SF here at best, even getting past Delpo will be difficult if they face off, but given the circumstances - the surface, falling ill and how much tennis he has played off late, that is a good enough result.

Hoping for better of course, Good luck in the next rd Roger, ALLEZ!

rocketassist
Good stats actually. Nice match. Milos needs to learn from it and I'm sure he will. Given the court speed I'm surprised he got to a TB so fair do's.

martinatreue
03-14-2012, 04:28 AM
3 sets for Fed was my initial prediction. I figured Milos would take a TB and he did.

Milos didn't serve nearly as well as he could have, though. He needed to do better than that to have a real chance at an upset. Still, for his first ever match against Federer, he fared quite well. That should give him confidence for the rest of this year.

Big servers almost never serve as well against Roger. It's because Roger doesn't get broken much himself and the big servers feel that pressure. They also feel pressure by the variety and unpredictable of Federer's returns. They don't face low short slices and stuff like that from other players. Ask Andy Roddick about dealing with Roger's returns. Roger almost always outaces Roddick.

Smoke944
03-14-2012, 04:29 AM
That looked exactly like a Fed-Roddick match from 6 or 7 years ago. It takes Fed awhile to get a read on the serve, but once he does, he just gets his standard break at the business end of each set.

m9m9m9m9m9
03-14-2012, 04:29 AM

Yes, Federer is a decent player :rolleyes:

navy75
03-14-2012, 04:30 AM

Two really bad calls that were made even worse by Lahyani (usually Mr. Reliable) telling Raonic to not bother challenging. In the future Raonic will have to start trusting his instincts more.

Mystique
03-14-2012, 04:30 AM
AND YES, Mo you FedTard :hug:

BroTree123
03-14-2012, 04:31 AM
Yes, Federer is a decent player :rolleyes:

16 GS's bitch :rolleyes:.

castle007
True but why do players even ask the umpire? Just challenge. You've got 3 of them!

Yeah, I understand asking the umpire if you don't want to waste a challenge early in the set, but at 4-3 and 5-4.... you HAVE to challenge.

Voo de Mar
Two really bad calls that were made even worse by Lahyani (usually Mr. Reliable) telling Raonic to not bother challenging. In the future Raonic will have to start trusting his instincts more.

Lahyani delivers some form of art into a boring profession of the chair umpire, but he makes mistakes quite often, perhaps he is too relaxed all the time.

Arkulari
03-14-2012, 04:32 AM
Yeah, I understand asking the umpire if you don't want to waste a challenge early in the set, but at 4-3 and 5-4.... you HAVE to challenge.

This ;)

castle007

I think he is saying that Federer is more than a decent player..

sexybeast
Horrible match.

Arkulari
03-14-2012, 04:33 AM
Lahyani delivers some form of art into a boring profession of the chair umpire, but he makes mistakes quite often, perhaps he is too relaxed all the time.

Mo is super likable but tends to be a bit too "lax", I prefer an umpire like Lars Graf who's more about business :p

LisaKoh
03-14-2012, 04:34 AM
Mo is a Fedtard...he told me himself once ;).

I suppose that comes from being there from the very beginning. He umpired that Wimbledon match against Sampras in 2001. I flove Mo.

Thanks for those who gave a good summary of the missed calls. Oh Mo, why, why?! I suppose this will go into his review.

dabeast
Roger is the original bionic man. Down a set, fever and flu, manages to stretch it to 3 sets vs young, fresher legs :yeah: no resurrection egg chamber needed for this guy. Good fight.

rocketassist
Both positive in the winners stats (and at IW no less!) suggests to me this was a far from shit match.

Do you ever actually make a positive contribution to MTF?

MaratandMilos
03-14-2012, 04:35 AM
You spent the entire thread saying that Milos would win the 3rd set and the match. Change your mind or something? :lol:

BroTree123
03-14-2012, 04:37 AM
You spent the entire thread saying that Milos would win the 3rd set and the match. Change your mind or something? :lol:

Because I didn't realize how much of a mug he is to lose to a dude with an illness. Boy was I wrong :rolleyes:.

swebright
03-14-2012, 04:39 AM
As expected; that Milos won't win and Fed gave away 1 set.
Respectable stats !!

MaratandMilos
03-14-2012, 04:39 AM
Because I didn't realize how much of a mug he is to lose to a dude with an illness. Boy was I wrong :rolleyes:.
Oh no, he lost a close match to Federer? Milos is DOOMED. :lol:

BroTree123
03-14-2012, 04:43 AM
Oh no, he lost a close match to Federer? Milos is DOOMED. :lol:

Since he's born a servebot, he was doomed ages ago.

nellis_lv
03-14-2012, 04:44 AM
I think Milos' respectfulness gets the better of him sometimes.

His game involves a lot of aggression and he just became passive after winning the 1st set.

For example, there was an easy forehand he could've hammered in the 2nd set but chose to just put back into play. Against some lower ranked guy, he wouldn't have done that.

I think he would've generally hit the ball a lot harder and more often, if it wasn't Fed on the other side of the net.

Not to mention not challenging on crucial points.

MaratandMilos
03-14-2012, 04:47 AM
Since he's born a servebot, he was doomed ages ago.
You didn't think so just a few minutes ago. At least try to be consistent with your ridiculous opinions.

tennishero
03-14-2012, 04:56 AM
giraffe servebot couldnt ace his way out of this one :wavey:

tripwires
03-14-2012, 05:01 AM
Rogi. :dance: can't wait to go home and watch this.

allpro
03-14-2012, 05:06 AM
tough loss for milos. he’s still rough around the edges but he’ll get there.

props to fed. he made the adjustments and played a solid match.

kingroger
03-14-2012, 05:08 AM
Great Match! I was there and I can't complain. Great atmosphere and great shot making but Roger was never in doubt...
Did what he had to do.... Improved his level when needed.
Milos will be a top 10 player by the end of the year.

Rafa finally got a time warning violation today :D

timafi
03-14-2012, 05:14 AM
fucking slow ass court and I fucking hate everything about Raonic.He is as bland as the male version of Lindsay Davenport

MIMIC
03-14-2012, 05:18 AM
I think Milos' respectfulness gets the better of him sometimes.

His game involves a lot of aggression and he just became passive after winning the 1st set.

For example, there was an easy forehand he could've hammered in the 2nd set but chose to just put back into play. Against some lower ranked guy, he wouldn't have done that.

I think he would've generally hit the ball a lot harder and more often, if it wasn't Fed on the other side of the net.

Not to mention not challenging on crucial points.

The top players have earned that locker room respect though. This was a chance for Milos to shake off the nerves and come face to face with the "Federer aura". Now that he knows exactly what he's up against he'll be more focused in the future; he probably won't be as passive in their next encounter.

Asadinator
03-14-2012, 05:23 AM
LOL @ Aces/DF ratios. Pathetic really, from 2 big servers.

Arkulari
03-14-2012, 05:31 AM
LOL @ Aces/DF ratios. Pathetic really, from 2 big servers.

maybe the slow as fuck surface has something to do with it? :o

masterclass
03-14-2012, 05:42 AM

Mr. Raonic respected the umpire's decision. But umpires are fallible. The last shot at 5-4 Federer - 0-15, called out, later shown to be on the line, should have been challenged by Raonic with nothing to lose. But the point would have simply been replayed. Would it have made any difference? We'll never know for sure. But since Mr. Federer was never broken, one might believe he was serving well enough to overcome even the worse case scenario. These points didn't matter in the totality of the match.

A tiebreaker Raonic win in the first set (before Federer could get a good read on his first experience with the Raonic serve) was never unexpected. Neither were the breaks of serve by Mr. Federer after he was able to read the serve (evidenced by the precipitous drop in Raonic's first service win percentage). Mr. Federer continued to do what he has been doing recently; play well enough to win, even if not at his best.

With Davydenko's withdrawal, Federer looks on course to play Juan Martin del Potro in the QF for their 4th meeting in less than 3 months, and based on those results, Federer looks like he can make the semifinals if his health allows (he still didn't look so healthy today). Beyond that is questionable in these conditions, unless Mr. Nadal doesn't make it past Nalbandian/Tsonga.

Respectfully,
masterclass

BroTree123
03-14-2012, 05:51 AM
You didn't think so just a few minutes ago. At least try to be consistent with your ridiculous opinions.

Not really I always thought he's a servebot. Just because a virus-infected Federer was on the ropes, doesnt mean he isn't a servebot. Since when did I say that Milos was a complete player? Holy fucking facepalm :facepalm:.

swebright
03-14-2012, 05:56 AM
Highlights?

MaratandMilos
03-14-2012, 05:58 AM
Not really I always thought he's a servebot. Just because a virus-infected Federer was on the ropes, doesnt mean he isn't a servebot. Since when did I say that Milos was a complete player? Holy fucking facepalm :facepalm:.
Earlier this week you laughably said he'd lose to Berlocq. Then today you said he would beat Federer. Now you say that he's a mug that will never beat a decent player. If you continue to follow this ridiculous, inconsistent trolling logic, next you'll be telling me that victories against Djokovic are on the way. :lol:

viruzzz
03-14-2012, 05:59 AM

There's not such a thing as Serve-Bot.
That's an offensive term that hasn't got any sense, and if you defend that, your TopSpinTrollism is in a really high level.
Milos is a really decent player, with a huge serve, good groundstrokes, an improving Backhand, and a decent movment for a guy of his height.
He could reach a good ranking level.
And he's not doomed, beeing born with a high height is a sorta good thing in tennis.
I really think you should take a break of "General Messages" and leave your trollism to Non-Tennis or the other forums.

Also, your signature is pretty big and annoying.

Evitman
03-14-2012, 05:59 AM
Mr. Raonic respected the umpire's decision. But umpires are fallible. The last shot at 5-4 Federer - 0-15, called out, later shown to be on the line, should have been challenged by Raonic with nothing to lose. But the point would have simply been replayed. Would it have made any difference? We'll never know for sure. But since Mr. Federer was never broken, one might believe he was serving well enough to overcome even the worse case scenario. These points didn't matter in the totality of the match.

A tiebreaker Raonic win in the first set (before Federer could get a good read on his first experience with the Raonic serve) was never unexpected. Neither were the breaks of serve by Mr. Federer after he was able to read the serve (evidenced by the precipitous drop in Raonic's first service win percentage). Mr. Federer continued to do what he has been doing recently; play well enough to win, even if not at his best.

With Davydenko's withdrawal, Federer looks on course to play Juan Martin del Potro in the QF for their 4th meeting in less than 3 months, and based on those results, Federer looks like he can make the semifinals if his health allows (he still didn't look so healthy today). Beyond that is questionable in these conditions, unless Mr. Nadal doesn't make it past Nalbandian/Tsonga.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Insightful comments, as usual. Masterclass :worship:

MuzzahLovah
03-14-2012, 06:00 AM
Highlights?

:haha:
Who wants to see Fed shanking returns and serve bot smacking errors?

Mystique
03-14-2012, 06:07 AM
Highlights?

bojan svitac FTW :rocker2:

Y6k0EqYR0u0

GSMnadal
03-14-2012, 06:48 AM

.shhh, that's real tennis we're talking about, and the way it's meant to be played

Tennis-Life
03-14-2012, 06:52 AM

.shhh, that's real tennis we're talking about, and the way it's meant to be played

much pleasure to watch than pushing and moonbaling :cool:

ChampionshipPoints
03-14-2012, 07:02 AM
Milos wasn't lucky with this draw. He could have gone very far if he could avoid any of the big 3 until later on (maybe the QFs).
Let's hope he gets luckier in Miami.

Johnbert
03-14-2012, 07:13 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ciyPw.jpg

lol, converterer at business :D 3/4 is unusual for roger :angel:

haven't seen the match. a win is a win :cool:

Naudio Spanlatine
03-14-2012, 07:16 AM
Good job Fed:p:p

LisaKoh
03-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Zombie Federer gets it done. He did not look well at all during this match.

BroTree123
03-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Earlier this week you laughably said he'd lose to Berlocq. Then today you said he would beat Federer. Now you say that he's a mug that will never beat a decent player. If you continue to follow this ridiculous, inconsistent trolling logic, next you'll be telling me that victories against Djokovic are on the way. :lol:

Not really, I said I wonder what are the chances he'd lose like 7-6 7-5, but he didn't. Maybe I got ahead of myself because he had chances, no doubt about it, and to top it off (and me saying this for the millon'th time already), Federer was ill. But he couldn't do it and it's a shitty loss that will haunt him for some time. The day Milos will prove me wrong is the day he beats a top 5 player. But all I'm saying right now is....so far, he hasn't proven to be the real deal IMO. And like...how old is he now? 22? That's why I still define him as a serve-bot. I'm sorry if you are butthurt by my opinions, it's not my fault.

Jaz
03-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Just seen the highlights, definitely not player well.

Huge net clearance to minimize errors too.

BroTree123
03-14-2012, 08:12 AM
much pleasure to watch than pushing and moonbaling :cool:

Pretty much opened up for a beating there :haha: :yeah:.

Allez
03-14-2012, 08:39 AM
I really did this Raonic's serve would see him through this match. Pleasant surprise Rogi managed to pull this off.

ossie
03-14-2012, 09:00 AM
fed easily took the match after he upped his game a bit, still a long way to go to prove you're more than just a serve bot raonic.

LisaKoh
03-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Just seen the highlights, definitely not player well.

Huge net clearance to minimize errors too.

You saw that too huh? Fed was moonballing like no tomorrow.

Revan
03-14-2012, 10:20 AM
I don't get how people (people who have never watched Raonic play) think he is a servebot. He is far from that. For example, I'll compare Tipsarevic.

Tipsarevic: 27 years old, 2 titles.
Raonic: 21 years old, 3 titles. (As well as two Memphis finals)

Tipsarevic is not a big server at all, and has 2 titles, while Raonic has 3 titles, and is a big server. Makes no sense. Everyone who is saying he's a servebot is talking out of his/her ass.

FlameOn
03-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Raonic is not a serve-bot, but the rest of his game is neither here nor there. Forehand is OK, backhand and return of serve terrible.

Nice legs though.

Topspindoctor
03-14-2012, 10:38 AM
That's an offensive term that hasn't got any sense, and if you defend that, your TopSpinTrollism is in a really high level.
Milos is a really decent player, with a huge serve, good groundstrokes, an improving Backhand, and a decent movment for a guy of his height.
And he's not doomed, beeing born with a high height is a sorta good thing in tennis.
I really think you should take a break of "General Messages" and leave your trollism to Non-Tennis or the other forums.

Mugonic's backhand, movement and return of serve is not even top 50 material. His FH is a simple flat drive that either goes in or out. Without his serve, Raonic would be in challengers.

Shinoj
03-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Raonic has a very good FH and a good backhand and has good volleying skills too. He is hardly a Serve Bot.

Sunset of Age
03-14-2012, 10:50 AM
I only watched the first set and I was impressed by the excellent serving from both sides of the net. Barely any mistakes, good quality stuff. Most of all, Raonic' calm and composed attitude bodes very well for his future. Very cool and professional for such a young fellow. :yeah:

Didn't see the rest of it, as it became too late for me to stay up, but from what I've read I conclude that Raonic' serve quality diminished, combined with Fed getting a better read on it. A very nice victory for Roger, who imho obviously wasn't feeling at his best but eventually managed to come through.
Raonic has much positives to take from this match. The guy will surely be in business for becoming a top-10 player in the near future if he keeps it up.

As for those challenges... hmmm. What did Raonic think, that he'd be able to carry them over to his next match? :rolleyes:
:lol: at Layhani advising him wrongly. Pretty sure he didn't do so on purpose - umps are humans who make mistakes as well - but hopefully this might contribute to less players consulting the ump before making challenges in the future, as I consider that a rather irritating habit which also happens to go against the rules. Oh those rules of the game... why bother with those at all?

BroTree123
03-14-2012, 10:52 AM

viruzzz man, you know you love me :hug:.

Time Violation
03-14-2012, 10:56 AM
I don't get how people (people who have never watched Raonic play) think he is a servebot. He is far from that. For example, I'll compare Tipsarevic.

Tipsarevic: 27 years old, 2 titles.
Raonic: 21 years old, 3 titles. (As well as two Memphis finals)

Tipsarevic is not a big server at all, and has 2 titles, while Raonic has 3 titles, and is a big server. Makes no sense. Everyone who is saying he's a servebot is talking out of his/her ass.

Tipsarevic has a very good serve, and more important is a huge mental case.

Tennis-Life
03-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Tipsarevic has a very good serve, and more important is a huge mental case.

:facepalm: :superlol: Tipsarevic and "huge mental case" - two opposite things

Time Violation
03-14-2012, 11:43 AM
:facepalm: :superlol: Tipsarevic and "huge mental case" - two opposite things

Opposite things? Do you even know who is Tipsarevic or you are talking just to say something? :)

Game.Petzschner
03-14-2012, 11:47 AM
tennis 1 serve bot 0

Tennis-Life
03-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Opposite things? Do you even know who is Tipsarevic or you are talking just to say something? :)

Tipsarevich is chocker of epic proportions, he should be disqualified from the ATP for continuous retirements and poor sportsmanship. Hope this helps :wavey:

Slice Winner
03-14-2012, 12:06 PM
If you watch the interview after the match, Feds sounds really sick.
Hopefully Bellucci will bend over, but it's not great that there's no recovery day now.

I agree with those who mentioned that Fed has been hitting with a lot of spin. He's been doing it all tournament. He's basically playing in clay court mode, which makes sense, given the court.

Alex999
03-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Tipsarevich is chocker of epic proportions, he should be disqualified from the ATP for continuous retirements and poor sportsmanship. Hope this helps :wavey:
yeah, but he is a top 10 player. Tipsy basically wasted his career in a way. He was a great junior player, but he simply would play a great match one day, and then just play some crap the next day. anyway, he did improve lately but he'll never win anything significant.

As for Milos, he is still young. I think he played a good match. no shame to lose to Rog. I still think he is the most promising youngster.

paseo
03-14-2012, 12:57 PM
If you watch the interview after the match, Feds sounds really sick.
Hopefully Bellucci will bend over, but it's not great that there's no recovery day now.

I agree with those who mentioned that Fed has been hitting with a lot of spin. He's been doing it all tournament. He's basically playing in clay court mode, which makes sense, given the court.

Yeah. Fed not looking good.

LJ0P-HUDSXk

m9m9m9m9m9
03-14-2012, 01:01 PM
amazing, a promising young player pushing Roger of all people to 3 tight sets and still getting labelled as "mug", "all-serve" :)
that said, Milos still has way to go to be a top player, how to win matches when opponent start to read his serve. It happens quite many times that Milos won the 1st set but go on losing the match. Whether he can continue to improve his movement and footwork will be critical on how he's career going to be..

Looner
03-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Well done to Fed for coming back and it just goes to show that there is some hope for this generation (not much as apart from Raonic they're either spoiled brats, arrogant or mental midgets). I hope he gets on well and gets to play some of the younger players of the Top4 next time around.

Also, lol at some people who label a player a 'serve bot' just because he has a proper huge weapon in his serve. I guess when you consider the pathetic serving qualities of 'the new guard', it can be explained how someone with a proper serve can be considered a servebot when the top players are all pathetic pushers.

BroTree123
03-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Fed looks like he's struggling with his breathing :scared:.

misty1
03-14-2012, 01:30 PM
closer than i expected

Hingisova
03-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Well nice to see Milos come away with some "bragging rights" taking a set off the "great one":worship:, so as a fellow Canadian I applaud his efforts:clap2: but he still has a long way to go in the rallying department! Congrats to Fed!

Hingisova:wavey:

Sombrerero loco
03-14-2012, 01:51 PM
milos :hug: nice match, tough one

tripwires
03-14-2012, 02:23 PM
I find the way Milos is so unflappable kind of sexy. :drool:

tennizen
03-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Quotes:

Federer:

“I got the answer early on that he was very good and it’s kind of what I expected,” he said with a smile. “You hope maybe he’s not that good! So you’re in a tough spot all of a sudden, which I was at the end of the first set. But finally being on court with him for 40 minutes I guess gave me a chance to see how the serve works, and what is his favorite serve, what is his pattern. I was getting to the ball often in the beginning but just not making the plays. That was hurting me early on. So the longer I stayed out there the better I started feeling and, as his serve dropped off a bit, it gave me more opportunities.”

Raonic:

Raonic had played Rafael Nadal twice – his only other meetings against the world’s top four – and said that, although he lost both times to the Spaniard, that he felt he had a greater chance of staying in the match against Rafa than Federer. “Federer has the ability to just take the match away from you,” he said. “He hits the ball like the other guys, but he has this ability to switch it and really just take you out of the court and put you on the back foot. He can do it a lot quicker, and he can do it off a lot tougher shots than the other guys.”

Miss Molly
03-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Kind of glad this is over because I don't like cheering against Roger, something I only do when he's playing a Canadian. Milos did much better than I expected, I figured he would go down in straights and get 6 games tops, so this was huge. His backhand has improved immensely over the past few months and he needs to make small adjustments on his return on the forehand side. His agility and mobility isn't going to be very good, it can improve but it will never be above average, so he has to make up for it with smarts which he has in abundance.

Roger was great in the second and third sets, he isn't well and he sounds like crap but he played like he was healthy. Good job by both of them!

Mystique
03-14-2012, 03:28 PM
LJ0P-HUDSXk

It is clear that Federer doesnt expect himself to win this tournament at all, maybe even make the semi-finals. And while he looked better than Sunday, he is clearly still not feeling healthy. Great effort to get this far already then. Pity though, he could have made a real good run here with the kind of form he was coming in with, damn the illness.
Good thing is, because of this attitude, his confidence from his February run is unlikely to take a hit if and when he loses in the coming rds.

nole_no1
03-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Raonic shit his pants after winning the 1st set :lol:

MaratandMilos
03-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Not really, I said I wonder what are the chances he'd lose like 7-6 7-5, but he didn't. Maybe I got ahead of myself because he had chances, no doubt about it, and to top it off (and me saying this for the millon'th time already), Federer was ill. But he couldn't do it and it's a shitty loss that will haunt him for some time. The day Milos will prove me wrong is the day he beats a top 5 player. But all I'm saying right now is....so far, he hasn't proven to be the real deal IMO. And like...how old is he now? 22? That's why I still define him as a serve-bot. I'm sorry if you are butthurt by my opinions, it's not my fault.
Losing to Federer in 3 sets in his first time ever facing him isn't a "loss that's going to haunt him for some time." He could just as easily play him next week and have another shot at him. It's all part of the developmental and learning curve at this point. And he just turned 21 about two months ago.

MaratandMilos
03-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Raonic shit his pants after winning the 1st set :lol:
I guess you didn't watch the match. Federer just picked up his play and Milos' serving percentages went down. Had little to do with choking.

GOAT in progress
03-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Old weeper is over. Play as grandmother, not even as grandfather

Naudio Spanlatine
03-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Princess Federina is dancing his way to the quarters :awww:

:angel:

ChampionshipPoints
03-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Losing to Federer in 3 sets in his first time ever facing him isn't a "loss that's going to haunt him for some time." He could just as easily play him next week and have another shot at him. It's all part of the developmental and learning curve at this point. And he just turned 21 about two months ago.

That guy, BroTree123, is a real hater. He knows he has the right to express his opinions and he's going to say whatever he wants to make Milos look bad. By the way, he knew damn well that Milos is only 21 but he had to say 22...

Just ignore him and he'll go away.

LisaKoh
03-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Princess Federina is dancing his way to the quarters :awww:

:angel:

More like stumbling through, mumbling "Brains..."

mystic ice cube
03-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Kind of glad this is over because I don't like cheering against Roger, something I only do when he's playing a Canadian. Milos did much better than I expected, I figured he would go down in straights and get 6 games tops, so this was huge. His backhand has improved immensely over the past few months and he needs to make small adjustments on his return on the forehand side. His agility and mobility isn't going to be very good, it can improve but it will never be above average, so he has to make up for it with smarts which he has in abundance.

Roger was great in the second and third sets, he isn't well and he sounds like crap but he played like he was healthy. Good job by both of them!
There's a lot of garbage posted on this forum but these are the posts I enjoy reading. :)

I thought Milos did well. Federer played good at times but I feel he will need to find another gear for the rest of the tournament. Maybe it was down to illness? :confused: We will see.