Indian Wells R3 Dolgopolov def. Baghdatis 6-4 5-7 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Indian Wells R3 Dolgopolov def. Baghdatis 6-4 5-7 6-4

Action Jackson
03-14-2012, 01:24 AM
Dogs Balls finally got it done after a mix of brilliant, ridiculous and trying to throw away a double break twice in the 1st and 3rd sets.

Thankfully he held on and plays Nadal next.

asmazif
03-14-2012, 01:24 AM
Took Dolgo far too long to close out - could have won in straights, and was 4-0 40-15 up in the third. Even the final game from 40-0 up was a tussle :p Still, a good showing, with some epic shotmaking (as always). And a decent fight from Bagster. :yeah:

v Nadal in R4.

Yves.
03-14-2012, 01:25 AM
Marcos Marcos Marcos :o You should've taken this man

Naudio Spanlatine
03-14-2012, 01:25 AM
THE DOG:hearts: :worship: :hearts: :worship: :hearts:

Baggy:sad:

green25814
03-14-2012, 01:28 AM
I love the way Dolgo plays. I know some people would call it reckless or lazy but I think if he tried to be more controlled he would fail as a player. His game is all about instinct

sexybeast
03-14-2012, 01:29 AM
Damn, Baghdatis could beat Nadal but Dolgopolov's tricks doesnt work on Nadal at all, specially not on this surface.

v-money
03-14-2012, 01:30 AM
Dolgo made that so much harder than it should have been. One moment he can look like a genius on court and the next he'll look like a club player. He's also extremely negative on himself lately.

The one thing that may be improving about his game is that's he's finally going back to the backhand drive instead of all of that slicing, which is good because it makes him more unpredictable.

I'm pretty sure he's going to get destroyed by Nadal though.

BroTree123
03-14-2012, 01:30 AM
Good win for Dolgy, he just loves slugfests doesn't he :).

And sadly, this match is evidence of how Marcos is way past his prime and is just about ready to hang up his racquet :sad:.

sexybeast
03-14-2012, 01:33 AM
Nadal is a horrible matchup to anyone who relies on the slice too much.

MuzzahLovah
03-14-2012, 01:35 AM
Ugh, Nadal is going to roll to the final

Mountaindewslave
I love the way Dolgo plays. I know some people would call it reckless or lazy but I think if he tried to be more controlled he would fail as a player. His game is all about instinct

I agree 100%. a lot of people criticize the 'Dog' for his wild antics and unorthodox style but it really aids him at times. if he focused on playing more solid than sporatic he would no longer have his biggest asset-- surprise. as an opponent of Alex, you can never be quite sure what he will do.

flashes of brilliance and flashes of horrible-ness are better than just a lot of 'solid pretty good' play. plus if he toned it down he would be no fun to watch.

not surprising he took out Baghdatis BUT Nadal is just way way too good and for whatever reason Alex does not seem to be good at handling Nadal's spin (at least their previous matches have shown) so he will probably get thrashed next round.

Fun to see him play though and would be great to see him give Nadal a challenge

Action Jackson
Nadal is a horrible matchup to anyone who relies on the slice too much.

Yes, Florian Mayer struggled against Nadal with all that variation.

out_here_grindin
03-14-2012, 01:36 AM
I agree 100%. a lot of people criticize the 'Dog' for his wild antics and unorthodox style but it really aids him at times. if he focused on playing more solid than sporatic he would no longer have his biggest asset-- surprise. as an opponent of Alex, you can never be quite sure what he will do.

flashes of brilliance and flashes of horrible-ness are better than just a lot of 'solid pretty good' play. plus if he toned it down he would be no fun to watch.

not surprising he took out Baghdatis BUT Nadal is just way way too good and for whatever reason Alex does not seem to be good at handling Nadal's spin (at least their previous matches have shown) so he will probably get thrashed next round.

Fun to see him play though and would be great to see him give Nadal a challenge

very well said

Sunset of Age
03-14-2012, 01:37 AM
Never a dull moment with Dolgo!
This should have been so much easier for him, but with Dolgo you know it's three seconds genious, four seconds horrible.
Part of the attraction one might say.

YAYYYYYY!!!! :cheerleader:
Davai, Dolgo! :rocker2:

tennizen
03-14-2012, 01:37 AM
Dolgo played Nadal here last year and lost horribly iirc.

Action Jackson
03-14-2012, 01:38 AM

It's not lazy or reckless, it's just the way he is and thankfully he has the right coach to suit his personality.

Been struggling in this event, but he's got through to the 4th round. People expect robot consistency it's not happening with Dolgopolov.

sexybeast
03-14-2012, 01:39 AM
Yes, Florian Mayer struggled against Nadal with all that variation.

Indoor with Nadal on bad form, yes take one exception and lets make it a rule. Dolgopolov was trashed last time on this surface by Nadal, Petzschner barely even uses his slice against Nadal.

Federer was even better than mayer late season last year, bagelled him and all. By this logic you could say Federer has no matchup issue against Nadal.

BroTree123
03-14-2012, 01:40 AM

Last year was Miami :o.

Action Jackson
03-14-2012, 01:40 AM

Didn't know Indian Wells and Miami were the same place :)

tennizen
03-14-2012, 01:41 AM

Oh ok. I remember it being around this time of the year.

v-money
03-14-2012, 01:42 AM
Well, I think Dolgo will struggle with Nadal because of his poor form at the time, not because it's necessarily a bad match up. Dolgopolov played Nadal really tough in Madrid in 2010, but in Miami 2011 he was playing his second match that day because a rain delay the previous night postponed the last set.

stewietennis
03-14-2012, 01:42 AM
Good win for Alex. Dolgopolov is who Tomic aspires to be.

tennizen
03-14-2012, 01:44 AM
Didn't know Indian Wells and Miami were the same place :)

At least I got the country and season right:D

gaitare
03-14-2012, 01:45 AM
At least I got the country and season right:D

You should feel honoured. AJ used a smiling smilie.

*faints*

tennizen
03-14-2012, 01:50 AM
You should feel honoured. AJ used a smiling smilie.

*faints*

Good point! :speakles: tripwires never got to this stage.

sexybeast
03-14-2012, 01:53 AM

Indian Wells got higher bounce and should be even worse for Dolgo, he will have to abandon his slice alltogether and play over and over again that unreliable topspin backhand over his shoulders.

Action Jackson
03-14-2012, 01:56 AM
Well, I think Dolgo will struggle with Nadal because of his poor form at the time, not because it's necessarily a bad match up. Dolgopolov played Nadal really tough in Madrid in 2010, but in Miami 2011 he was playing his second match that day because a rain delay the previous night postponed the last set.

The Madrid match Dolgo played very well, but never know with Dolgo. He could play very well, aggressive, have lots of fun or he could make heaps of errors.

sexybeast
03-14-2012, 02:09 AM
Players who relly too much on their slices have problems defending against Rafa on their backhand side, even if they can attack with topspin backhands they cant get out of difficult positions, Nadal is unlikely to lose upper hand once he starts to attack with his forehand and defending with the slice doesnt get you back to neutral position like against almost any other player.

gulzhan
03-14-2012, 02:18 AM
LOL at all the posters who talk about Nadal here :rolls:

Well done, Sasha! :yeah: He needed to prove to himself that he can go for a result!

superandy88
03-14-2012, 02:19 AM
Yes, Nadal is by far the worst matchup possible for Olek. He should go out and play hit and miss, playing really agressive on the first ball and return.

sexybeast
03-14-2012, 02:22 AM
Yes, Nadal is by far the worst matchup possible for Olek. He should go out and play hit and miss, playing really agressive on the first ball and return.

He can use those dropshots against Nadal, that actually is a good weapon against Nadal but he will have to abandon one of his main weapons and his "safe shot" in his slice. His game will thereby look very "hit and miss".

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
03-14-2012, 02:35 AM
nadal is going to streamroll over him

so well done for getting to the 4R dolgo

finishingmove
03-14-2012, 03:10 AM
with the expected midgame brainlapse

Allez
03-14-2012, 08:40 AM
with the expected midgame brainlapse

:hug:

ossie
03-14-2012, 08:57 AM
the better player won, nadal is next for dolgo if he plays well he has a very good chance to win.

LisaKoh
03-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Never in doubt. Baggy is probably out somewhere stuffing himself with Saganaki as I type.

Rovi
03-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Well done Dolgo.As i said it before the match he is simplt better player than Baghdatis.As for those idiots who think Baghdatis would have beaten Nadal in the next round,get a life.

Chris Kuerten
03-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Dolgo is too cool to finish matches off in two sets.

Just like heaven
03-14-2012, 11:34 AM

I think there was a problem with the schedule and Dolgopolov had to play 2 matches on the same day. :confused: I don't remember exactly but I know he wasn't in perfect condition in that match.

Puschkin
03-14-2012, 11:56 AM
I agree 100%. a lot of people criticize the 'Dog' for his wild antics and unorthodox style but it really aids him at times. if he focused on playing more solid than sporatic he would no longer have his biggest asset-- surprise.
That's exactly why he is so pleasing to watch, in contrast to those boring ball machines when even I know where they will be hitting the next ball.

asmazif
03-14-2012, 12:17 PM
I think there was a problem with the schedule and Dolgopolov had to play 2 matches on the same day. :confused: I don't remember exactly but I know he wasn't in perfect condition in that match.

yeh he was visibly exhausted from the epic long match v Tsonga previous round, which finished a few hours before I think.

emotion
03-14-2012, 01:13 PM
I think people underestimate this match-up. Low slices can bother Nadal, and Dolgo's are pretty low

paseo
03-14-2012, 01:26 PM
I think people underestimate this match-up. Low slices can bother Nadal, and Dolgo's are pretty low

Yes, to his BH. Any kind of slices to his FH, Nadal will devour them into oblivion. And since Nadal can run around most slices to his BH, Dolgopolov is doomed.

BroTree123
03-14-2012, 01:28 PM

You hate Nadal, of course you would want slices to hurt him :lol:. Sadly, low slices or not, Dolgo is fucked.

sexybeast
03-14-2012, 02:32 PM

Nadal's forehand kills slices better than any other shot has done in the history of the sport, you can slice to his backhand but it is not easy to get there as Nadal moves so fast around his backhand. Also, the crosscourt slice is the natural defense of players who use alot of slice and the down the line slice is NOT a defensive shot and neither is it very important as a tactical manuever.

asmazif
03-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Nadal's forehand kills slices better than any other shot has done in the history of the sport, you can slice to his backhand but it is not easy to get there as Nadal moves so fast around his backhand. Also, the crosscourt slice is the natural defense of players who use alot of slice and the down the line slice is NOT a defensive shot and neither is it very important as a tactical manuever.

well a lot of Dolgo's BH slices could easily go in the direction of Nadal's BH, seeing as that would be the natural direction of a slice from a R-hander to a L-hander :shrug:

WHO KNOWS

sexybeast
03-14-2012, 03:00 PM
well a lot of Dolgo's BH slices could easily go in the direction of Nadal's BH, seeing as that would be the natural direction of a slice from a R-hander to a L-hander :shrug:

WHO KNOWS

If you play tennis you know the slice has more than anything else the quality to take you out of a disconfortable position (like a ball that jumps up high on your backhand) and you can with a great slice make your opponent instead get into a difficult position. Now, if Nadal puts a ball high up on Dolgo's, Fed's or Haas' backhand the slice dtl is a mighty difficult shot to make from that position when you take into consideration that Nadal easily runs around that to hit a forehand. Only moment to make a slice dtl is if you are the one pushing Nadal, like Federer might hit a backhand angled crosscourt and Nadal is far out in the adcourt, Fed can use the slice dtl because Nadal wont be able to run around it with his forehand. This is all good except the main reason why the slice is such a great weapon is because you can take yourself out of a discomfortable position, it is foremost used as a defensive shot and that can never be used against Nadal when he is in position. Look at Federer's amazing defense against Djokovic in RG, that slice was doing miracles to get him back to points but it was all gone against Nadal in the final, Nadal makes more than anything Feds defense look avarage and forces Federer to play overly offensive tennis, not his natural tennis.

Also think of the natural response to Nadal's serve out wide in the adcourt, it is a crosscourt slice obviously but Nadal's forehand and movement is too big and he will kill the point if you hit a slice crosscourt return from that serve, he puts pressure on the opponent thereby to make incredible flat backhand returns from a difficult position or else he will punish you. He did that alot to Federer in Australian Open, punish Federer's backhand returns with forehands down the line.

asmazif
03-14-2012, 08:22 PM
If you play tennis you know the slice has more than anything else the quality to take you out of a disconfortable position (like a ball that jumps up high on your backhand) and you can with a great slice make your opponent instead get into a difficult position. Now, if Nadal puts a ball high up on Dolgo's, Fed's or Haas' backhand the slice dtl is a mighty difficult shot to make from that position when you take into consideration that Nadal easily runs around that to hit a forehand. Only moment to make a slice dtl is if you are the one pushing Nadal, like Federer might hit a backhand angled crosscourt and Nadal is far out in the adcourt, Fed can use the slice dtl because Nadal wont be able to run around it with his forehand. This is all good except the main reason why the slice is such a great weapon is because you can take yourself out of a discomfortable position, it is foremost used as a defensive shot and that can never be used against Nadal when he is in position. Look at Federer's amazing defense against Djokovic in RG, that slice was doing miracles to get him back to points but it was all gone against Nadal in the final, Nadal makes more than anything Feds defense look avarage and forces Federer to play overly offensive tennis, not his natural tennis.

Also think of the natural response to Nadal's serve out wide in the adcourt, it is a crosscourt slice obviously but Nadal's forehand and movement is too big and he will kill the point if you hit a slice crosscourt return from that serve, he puts pressure on the opponent thereby to make incredible flat backhand returns from a difficult position or else he will punish you. He did that alot to Federer in Australian Open, punish Federer's backhand returns with forehands down the line.

I play tennis, and yes, I do agree, most of this is obvious - tbh I didn't mean to specifically talk about Nadal, just the general R/L match-up. High bouncing balls are definitely hard to slice DTL (but Dolgo does take the ball very early).

Voo de Mar
03-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Baghdatis has reached interesting status lately: he's one of the worst match-ups for seeded players, simultaneously a good match-up for upcoming players.