Was Mardy Fish right or wrong? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Was Mardy Fish right or wrong?

1stserveace
03-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Mardy Fish down a set and break point at 4-4 in the 2nd hits a fantastic short cross court volley. As his opponent sprinted to the ball, and just before contact, Mardy yells "come on!" assuming he won the point. Ebden, his opponent immediately looks to the umpire to replay the point. The umpire agrees with Ebden and calls for a replay of the point due to obstruction. Mardy approaches the umpire to argue that his "come on" did not effect the outcome of the point. As always the umpire does not change his mind and tells Mardy that the rules state you can not yell out prior to the point being completed.

As we all remember this is very similar to Serena Williams last year at the US Open.

I watched the point 3 times and every time I feel Mardy called out too early. Ebden had a play on the ball and whether he would have made it or not is irrelevant. The rules are the rules. I have to agree with the umpire on this one.

I'm sure Mardy is more mad at himself today. He should know better then to yell out before the point is over.

What do you think? Was Mardy right wanting the point awarded to him or was the umpire correct?

navy75
03-13-2012, 04:39 PM
He was wrong. He almost always is.

He was wrong here, he was wrong to call Gasquet a "fag," he was wrong when he instigated conflict with Dimitrov (he was just mad that he was losing), he was wrong when he instigated conflict with Mathieu, and he is wrong everytime that he gossips about another player.

Fish is a truly miserable human being.

Nixer
03-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Clearly Ebden had a racket on the ball, Fish had no business arguing about the decision. If it had been a clear winner, then Mardy should've been awarded with the point - similar to line judge overrule.

Snowwy
03-13-2012, 04:41 PM
He was wrong

Tepasaf
03-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Fish was wrong.
To himself in general :)

motorhead
03-13-2012, 04:53 PM

He was wrong here, he was wrong to call Gasquet a "fag," he was wrong when he instigated conflict with Dimitrov (he was just mad that he was losing), he was wrong when he instigated conflict with Mathieu, and he is wrong everytime that he gossips about another player.

this.

/thread

1stserveace
03-13-2012, 04:53 PM
He was wrong, I absolutely agree with everyone. Don't know what he was thinking screaming out like that. Was he trying to get into Ebden's head?? If so that back fired horribly.
Heat of the battle I guess you don't think straight. Im sure he was pissed at himself later in the day.

Not like he was winning that match anyways. Ebden was taking it to him but as we've seen if Fish had snuck out the 2nd set things could have turned as they did for Roddick in the 2nd round.

Naudio Spanlatine
03-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Sapoed's answer.....

WRONG.:p :rolleyes:

Sunset of Age
03-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Fish was wrong, his yelling out before the point had ended is obstructive and the ump made the right decision.
What his intentions were is irrelevant.

Riosreigned
03-13-2012, 05:09 PM
He was wrong. Mardy Fish has a tendency to get very bratty when things don't go his way. It's understandable, he's human, tennis is a very hard game, lots of pressure and stress, a lot of players lose it and show an ugly side. Just many of the great ones no how to control it with so many people watching. Appreciate Mardy's honesty to let out his true feelings, instead of being a fake. Fans want to see drama controversy and strong emotions. Fish gave us a show at least. Tennis can be a crying game. Still love ya Mardy you were great in Davis Cup vs. Switzerland!!

When did he call Gasquet a fag??

gulzhan
03-13-2012, 05:32 PM

+1

timafi
03-13-2012, 06:17 PM

I did not know about this one:eek:

chenx15
03-13-2012, 06:22 PM
is there a video for this?

Nixer
03-13-2012, 06:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQE50tXIbdw&t=1m40s

Ibracadabra
03-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Ebden had a clear play. No debate he was wrong.

Looner
03-13-2012, 06:51 PM
He was wrong. He always is.

I agree. I am really disappointed he's such a sore loser.

LastRocket
03-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Fish is wrong for life.
Fish is fried. How this mug got into the top 10 is a mystery :superlol:

oncourtfan
03-13-2012, 08:52 PM
uploaded full episode with Mardy talking

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpfgqm_crucial-moment-of-mardy-fish-vs-matthew-ebden-match-indian-wells-2012_sport

scoobs
03-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Ebden had a play. He probably still wouldn't have made it, he probably wasn't hindered by the call, but Fish's call was way too early, and so the umpire's decision was correct.

I can understand Fish not being happy, it probably was a winning shot from him, but don't be a dumbass, wait for the ball to be clearly dead before making any sort of call like that.

selyoink
03-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Fish is an idiot. No surprises the guy is panicking as he knows his ranking is doomed.

stewietennis
03-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Remember when Fish trimmed down, lost all those kilos and started winning? He was the talk of the town. Seems like a lifetime ago.

henke007
03-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Why did he even yell c'mon no sense of timing what so ever, what a Mug.:lol:

And he was wrong.

cardio
03-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Mardy Fish down a set and break point at 4-4 in the 2nd hits a fantastic short cross court volley. As his opponent sprinted to the ball, and just before contact, Mardy yells "come on!" assuming he won the point. Ebden, his opponent immediately looks to the umpire to replay the point. The umpire agrees with Ebden and calls for a replay of the point due to obstruction. Mardy approaches the umpire to argue that his "come on" did not effect the outcome of the point. As always the umpire does not change his mind and tells Mardy that the rules state you can not yell out prior to the point being completed.

As we all remember this is very similar to Serena Williams last year at the US Open.

I watched the point 3 times and every time I feel Mardy called out too early. Ebden had a play on the ball and whether he would have made it or not is irrelevant. The rules are the rules. I have to agree with the umpire on this one.

I'm sure Mardy is more mad at himself today. He should know better then to yell out before the point is over.

What do you think? Was Mardy right wanting the point awarded to him or was the umpire correct?

Fish was wrong, but your memory of the point is incorrect also. It wasnt breakpoint, but 40-40. And umpire didnt replay the point, he gave it to Ebden.AFTER that Fish had to save breakpoint, which he lost. Mardy argued with umpire, he hoped to replay the point, but umpire said it was deliberate hindrance and Ebden won the point.

Fish playing mindgames was pretty stupid, because he knows rules as well as umpire.I´m pretty sure he got hindrance call before, every player experienced it (if not as pro, as kid/junior it happens more often )

It doesnt matter what Ebden would have done with ball without Mardys scream. The very moment Fish shouted , the point was over, what happened later didnt matter at all.

NicolasKiefer44
03-13-2012, 10:52 PM

Remember when Fish trimmed down, lost all those kilos and started winning? He was the talk of the town. Seems like a lifetime ago.

When did he call Gasquet a "fag"? And why? It was malicious?

He slimmed down and didn't add any muscle. I saw him in Cincy and it was bizarre how thin he looked. Yet everyone raved he was in shape now. I thought he looked fragile.

stanch
03-14-2012, 12:33 AM
WRONG!
I used to like Mardy a lot, he was one of my favorites. This is one of the reasons I completely changed my mind...

BroTree123
03-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Fish was wrong, umpire was right. It was a hindrance because regardless of whether you can't get the ball or not, you can't celebrate until the point is over. Should have kept his mouth shut, but then again, he's American :o.

shuhrat
03-14-2012, 12:42 AM
He seems to acknowledge his mistake and admit it at least.

From press conference.

Q. Do you think there is any kind of irony there is the hindrance call when people call out, Come on and so forth, but the shrieks and grunting in the game from some of the other players are incredibly loud and can't really tell...
MARDY FISH: Fortunately we don't have that too much on our tour. We don't have to worry about it too much.
No, I certainly was in the wrong, but it was an honest mistake. I mean, it was just‑‑ I thought I hit a good shot, and it wasn't good enough, I guess.

Q. Does the chair umpire have the rules flexibility to say...
MARDY FISH: He does. I think he does.

Q. That's not my reading of it. It's different with the slams and the ATP.

Q. There's not too much leeway in there.
MARDY FISH: Yeah. Okay. Well, he has a right to say whether he thought I hindered though, correct?

Q. Basically my reading of it says that if you intended to say come on, then that's a point penalty. It's not that flexible.
MARDY FISH: Okay. Well, he made it seem like it was the other way, that he was 100% sure that I had an effect on the shot. So that's fine. I think the rule is a little off, but it was my mistake.

fmolinari2005
03-14-2012, 12:52 AM
Since it is unnatural for all MTF to agree on an issue, I'll have to say that Fish was right. :lol:

Chris Waddle
03-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Mardy Fish and Andy Roddick might be nice people outside the tennis court, I have no idea. But their pathetic attitude against referees is just disgraceful, especially since they are wrong 90 percent of their arguments.

A_Skywalker
03-14-2012, 01:33 AM
I dont think someone that is arguing for something he clearly knows hes not right is good off the court, it almost feels impossible. He has to be the same in life.

paseo
03-14-2012, 01:38 AM
If Ebden was a pure sportsman who holds sportsmanship in the highest regard, he wouldn't have complained to the umpire because he knew he wasn't gonna make it anyway. Even if the umpire called hindrance, Ebden would have said "No. It's fine. I couldn't make the shot anyway"....

But back in reality, yeah, this.

Ebden had a play. He probably still wouldn't have made it, he probably wasn't hindered by the call, but Fish's call was way too early, and so the umpire's decision was correct.

I can understand Fish not being happy, it probably was a winning shot from him, but don't be a dumbass, wait for the ball to be clearly dead before making any sort of call like that.

Mountaindewslave
03-14-2012, 01:38 AM

Mardy's an idiot, it would be one thing if he had yelled AS Ebden was hitting the ball, but he literally yells WAY beforehand. he yells out when Ebden is running mid-court and seconds pass after Fish's loud noise. it was just a foolish thing to do and for all we know it did affect Ebden's hit on the ball. Matthew certainly seemed upset after hitting the ball from the noice as he glanced and yelled at the ump.

Ebden managed to direct the ball towards the net from an awkward angle so who's to say without the noise and a little more concentration, he couldn't have hit it in?

I used to like Fish a lot because I thought he was a class act, but over the past few years, ironically as he has risen up the rankings and has gotten into 'shape', his personality has gotten worse and he begun to become a clown that has a horrible personality.

hopeful he tumbles in the rankings, because a player with his class does not deserve success

Mountaindewslave
03-14-2012, 01:40 AM
Mardy Fish and Andy Roddick might be nice people outside the tennis court, I have no idea. But their pathetic attitude against referees is just disgraceful, especially since they are wrong 90 percent of their arguments.

at least Andy Roddick is entertaining when he gets upset, Mardy Fish is just an ass hole

swebright
03-14-2012, 02:11 AM
Fish can't be right.

Marc23
03-14-2012, 02:13 AM
At the US Open Serena actually lost the point for doing the same thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd1FlBcdi1c

Serena vs. Stosur

Nixer
03-14-2012, 03:39 AM
Fish was wrong, umpire was right. It was a hindrance because regardless of whether you can't get the ball or not, you can't celebrate until the point is over. Should have kept his mouth shut, but then again, he's American :o.

I'm pretty sure screaming right after hitting a clean winner (when opponent has no chance of getting to the ball) doesn't (and shouldn't) get punished - and is frequently done by the players.

navy75
03-14-2012, 04:16 AM
When did he call Gasquet a "fag"? And why? It was malicious?

It was several years ago at the USO. Mardy was in the crowd watching Ginepri play Gasquet, and was so drunk and disruptive that security actually got called his way.

I'm not sure if there is any way that calling someone that is not malicious, but no one should take it too personally. Fish was always one of those guys on the challenger circuit that ran with a couple of the other "good old boys," and loved to talk trash about everyone even then too. I'd like to speculate that he's grown up on the immature/a**hole front, but based on his actions this past year I severely doubt it (and if anything he's probably gotten worse).

leng jai
03-14-2012, 05:48 AM
Fish was a dumbass and then proceeded to make himself look like even more of a dumbass after his chat with the umpire.

Ajde.

Beat
03-14-2012, 09:38 AM
As always the umpire does not change his mind and tells Mardy that the rules state you can not yell out prior to the point being completed.

i don't have more to add, it's a clear rule. i mean, it's logical you can't scream "come on!" during a point.

he was wrong to call Gasquet a "fag,"

he did?? source? :unsure:

Topspindoctor
03-14-2012, 10:15 AM
If I were the umpire, I'd disqualify Fish from the match entirely for being such a disagreeable mug.

cmoss
03-14-2012, 10:29 AM
So there are 2 empty slots of Fish & Tipsa in the top 10 for Isner and another guy.:cool:

BroTree123
03-14-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm pretty sure screaming right after hitting a clean winner (when opponent has no chance of getting to the ball) doesn't (and shouldn't) get punished - and is frequently done by the players.

Hindrance is when you celebrate/scream/vamos/adje/cmon or what-have-you, when the ball hasn't double bounced yet -- it doesn't matter whether or not there is a chance to get the ball, it's downright rude. Fish got rooted for that, and thoroughly deserved his punishment.

Nixer
03-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Hindrance is when you celebrate/scream/vamos/adje/cmon or what-have-you, when the ball hasn't double bounced yet -- it doesn't matter whether or not there is a chance to get the ball, it's downright rude. Fish got rooted for that, and thoroughly deserved his punishment.

I think it does matter - for example if Fish made a clean dropshot and Ebden would be behind the baseline and wouldn't move for it - nobody would've argued with Mardy's celebration. Same story as if umpire overrules clean winner as OUT, and Hawk Eye shows that it's IN, the point gets awarded and not replayed - there was no chance of returning the ball anyway, the other player didn't get hindered by umpire's call.

I've just seen Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, etc. celebrate right after they hit the ball for a winner - it's really depends on if the ball can be played by opponent or not.

MaxPower
03-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Fish isn't very smart. He needs a new grunt when he hits those shots. Then he can just use a "celebration grunt" slightly after the ball is hit. He can also raise his leg, spin around, fist pump, beat his chest or whatever. Just don't do like THAT, because that was soooooooo distracting. But maybe if he did "come on" after every shot he hit the umpire would let it fly eventually

BroTree123
03-14-2012, 12:08 PM
I think it does matter - for example if Fish made a clean dropshot and Ebden would be behind the baseline and wouldn't move for it - nobody would've argued with Mardy's celebration. Same story as if umpire overrules clean winner as OUT, and Hawk Eye shows that it's IN, the point gets awarded and not replayed - there was no chance of returning the ball anyway, the other player didn't get hindered by umpire's call.

I've just seen Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, etc. celebrate right after they hit the ball for a winner - it's really depends on if the ball can be played by opponent or not.

That's because the opposition either didn't bother to get it, or they tried to get it but they, for example, stretched for it but missed it and the ball goes past the opponent and goes to the stands/wall....then they celebrate.

The rule still stands. If you have the chance to even touch the ball before it bounces twice (but NOT necessarily having the chance to get it back), it is still hindrance if you celebrate before the point is over.

Nixer
03-14-2012, 12:30 PM
That's because the opposition either didn't bother to get it, or they tried to get it but they, for example, stretched for it but missed it and the ball goes past the opponent and goes to the stands/wall....then they celebrate.

The rule still stands. If you have the chance to even touch the ball before it bounces twice (but NOT necessarily having the chance to get it back), it is still hindrance if you celebrate before the point is over.

well yeah, touching would be enough then for hindrance :)

Moose Limb
03-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Why is this even a thread? Rules are rules and it couldn't be more blatant. "Right or wrong" would assume some sort of debate or uncertainty...there is absolutely none here.

Moose Limb
03-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Speaking of rules, however, why enforce some and not others? Take for example the amount of time allotted between points. The inconsistency is highly irksome.

canbera
03-14-2012, 12:53 PM
If Ebden was a pure sportsman who holds sportsmanship in the highest regard, he wouldn't have complained to the umpire because he knew he wasn't gonna make it anyway. Even if the umpire called hindrance, Ebden would have said "No. It's fine. I couldn't make the shot anyway"....

Who does that? It sounds like a noble attitude, but this sport is about winning, not giving the other guy a point he screwed up all by himself.

If you are in a position to make a play, no matter if your chances are high or low to actually win the point, you're not gonna give it away like that.

Ebden did what he had to do, he ran to the ball and took the present that Fish gave to him.. and one thing that everybody knows who plays and/ or watches tennis - you accept any present your opponent gives to you (:

Doesn't have to to anything with bad sportsmanship imo

BroTree123
03-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Who does that? It sounds like a noble attitude, but this sport is about winning, not giving the other guy a point he screwed up all by himself.

If you are in a position to make a play, no matter if your chances are high or low to actually win the point, you're not gonna give it away like that.

Ebden did what he had to do, he ran to the ball and took the present that Fish gave to him.. and one thing that everybody knows who plays and/ or watches tennis - you accept any present your opponent gives to you (:

Doesn't have to to anything with bad sportsmanship imo

Exactly. It wasn't necessary to say "give him the point anyway". At the end of the day, it's the umpires decision and like so many times, arguments fail against them.

Broskie91
03-14-2012, 06:19 PM
just such a terrible decision by mardy

Mario000
03-14-2012, 06:26 PM
He wasn't wrong. If Fish didn't shout, will Ebden return better or run faster?? Of course he wouldn't..so, it's bad decision by the umpire

LoveFifteen
03-14-2012, 06:32 PM
I googled the incident where Mardy called Gasquet a faggot. It seems that Mardy and a group of his friends or family were watching Gasquet vs. some other American. It could be that someone in the group Mardy was with called Gasquet a faggot, not Mardy himself.

In any case, Mardy is classless and frat boyish. I don't care for him, or a lot of the American men. A lot of them are real tools. I wish we had a success gay American player. That would give me life. :hearts:

LoveFifteen
03-14-2012, 06:34 PM
^^^^

I forgot to add that I can only find blog posts about this, not official media. It seemed to happen, allegedly, at the 2005 or 2005 US Open.

Bobby
03-14-2012, 06:48 PM
He wasn't wrong. If Fish didn't shout, will Ebden return better or run faster?? Of course he wouldn't..so, it's bad decision by the umpire

Right. And if someone hits a forehand that's only a few inches wide, it's ok if the other guy is far away and wouldn't have a shot anyway.

jcempire
03-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Mardy is right

Why you should agree to the rule if that's not right

ossie
03-14-2012, 11:31 PM
didn't know i could dislike fish more than i did before.

benji47
03-15-2012, 12:07 AM
Wait, no one watched the US Open women's final? Serena had a point that got the exact same point, she was furious and had another "outburst"...

Honestly, even though I strongly dislike Fish, in situations like this, the point should be replayed instead of giving it straight to the opponent. Fish and Serena both yelled "come on" because they saw that their opponents were completely out of position and thought they could celebrate already. It sure was a stupid thing to do but it wasn't like they did it "intentionally" so that their opponent could be affected.