IW R3 Ebden def. Fish 6-3 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

IW R3 Ebden def. Fish 6-3 6-4

henke007
03-13-2012, 12:56 AM
:worship:

C'mon Fish :o

rinnegan
Fish had his Serena moment and lost a point in the second set at 4-4, deuce. :haha:

Ebden :yeah:

azinna
Nice.
Funny to watch this on Tennis Channel and hear Lindsay commenting so sympathetically. In TTC's Year in Preview, she was eager to speak truth to power and predict Mardy's fall well before it began.

cswab22
Matt :eek: :yeah:
Mardy :hug:

Belludal
03-13-2012, 12:57 AM
Ebden :worship:

Great Job Ebden :yeah:

The australian have great chances against Seppi or Fish in the Third Round :D

misty1
wow

Yves.
Fish played against himself. No handshake for the umpire.

RIboy
03-13-2012, 12:58 AM
http://www.abmcrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/stupid-looking-fish-smaller.jpg

Andre♥
Fish didn't say the umpire is ugly on the inside! :sad:

Btw it's ridiculous how the players don't know the hindrance rule. I mean, if you are professional player, I believe it would be nice to know the rules of the sport...

Stronga23
Weres flyboy :wavey::haha:

acionescu
What was the controversy?

bleu_cheese
Only caught the last game because I saw the score. Does Ebden always slice his backhand? Besides that, he seemed to have a nice game. I was too late for the controversy, sadly.

SheepleBuster
03-13-2012, 12:59 AM
Amazing performance by Fish. Top 8 my ass

Naudio Spanlatine
Dedicated to tangerine_dream:p :kiss:

Fish needs to retire he really is truly a mug for life:haha:

Filo V.
Mardy was DIRE. That was pre-2010 Mardy Fish. Dismal forehands, serve percentage poor, terrible focus and attitude. The sound violation he made at 4 all in the second sort of summed up the match on his part and the fact he complained about it the way he did and then hit a shocking FH error to dump serve was very unbecoming and unprofessional.

I have to say, I can't hate on Ebden anymore. He's a hard nose dude. Like I said a few days ago, he's doing a great job of making the most of the limited ability he has. And no, I still do not think he's a good player. He's mediocre. But he knows how to drag the level of his opponents down and he seems like a very intelligent player.

Hewitt =Legend
Four threads for Ebden, never thought I'd see the day.

Hard work for Matty paying dividends, great to see.

Dedicated to flyboy.

Ajde..???

Yves.
03-13-2012, 01:00 AM

Fish played a dropshot and shouted 'come on' before the second bounce. And the point went to Ebden. Fish did not agree,

jonas
I almost feel sad for Fish... NOT!

Voo de Mar
Fish has been useless since semifinal against Nadal in Tokyo. He is going to suffer one of the worst dropping of ranking from the Top 10 ever. He makes everything wrong these days, even screams "come on!" in inappropriate time :lol:

Naudio Spanlatine
Fish had his Serena moment and lost a point in the second set at 4-4, deuce. :haha:

Ebden :yeah:

I know right:superlol:

Deathless Mortal
As Ivan Ljubicic mentioned: "It's hard for me to see someone like Mardy Fish being a top 10 player."
Seriously, how big of a mug Mardy is? :lol:

leng jai
Fish shows why he is a gigantic mug and the hindrance penalty was the culmination of just a garbage display from the 8th seed. Roddick-esque argument with the umpire when he knew he had no leg to stand on :haha: Who the hell yells come on a full second before the opponent hits the last shot? :speakles: No handshake with the umpire of course.

Ebden just solid but he doesn't really look like he has the ability to play attacking tennis on a consistent basis. That forehand is seriously underpowered.

Certinfy
Only just managed to see the last game but it seems like Ebden played great. :yeah: Definitely the most likable Australian I think and it's great to see him have a big win. :)

4 threads by the way. :lol:

http://i43.tinypic.com/34g338k.jpg

LoveFifteen
03-13-2012, 01:01 AM
Hindrance, Mardy, accept it! :o

What's up with these players who can never accept the hindrance rule. :LOL:

Andre♥
03-13-2012, 01:01 AM
Fish even failed at complaining about the hindrance rule. Serena's "ugly on the inside" outburst because of this rule in last year's US Open final was fucking epic! :sobbing:

rabhw
03-13-2012, 01:02 AM

Fish hit a (probably) winning volley at the net, shouted out like an idiot "YEAH!!!!" before it bounced twice, Ebden got to the ball before it bounced twice and put it into the bottom of the net, but looked at the umpire to say "wtf was that". Umpire called it a hindrance caused by Fish yelling out, and awarded Ebden the point rightly. Fish argued stupidly for a few mins before giving up and getting broken.

Fish was arguing that his yelling had no effect on Ebden being able to make the ball, since he dumped it into the bottom of the net regardless. Which is fair enough, but that's not the rule, he yelled out in the middle of the point, therefore he loses it.

v-money
03-13-2012, 01:02 AM
:lol: Four threads...

yt7crAv0_pI

...just replace Serena with Fish to know the controversy in this one. Can't believe Mardy did that. Credit to Edben for running everything down, as he always does. Ebden actually did seem effected by the yell and reacted immediately. Nevertheless, rules are rules and Mardy broke one, so he has no case to argue. He finished himself off in this match.

Johnny Iznrr
03-13-2012, 01:03 AM
What a gift to Isner, who plays badly against americans but should run this clown Ebden over :yeah: Pathetic from Muggy Fish but what else is new.

moon language
As Ivan Ljubicic mentioned: "It's hard for me to see someone like Mardy Fish being a top 10 player."

Did he really say that? I don't like Mardy at all, but that is pretty funny since I have in the past pointed out how absurd it was that Ljubicic reached #3 in the world. Maybe he would agree.

Hewitt =Legend
Fish is an early contender for mug of the year after the Dimitrov spat at the Hopman cup and now this little display today. The expected rankings drop will help his cause as well.

Ajde..???

au_sports_opinion
03-13-2012, 01:05 AM
too awesome matty!

henke007
03-13-2012, 01:05 AM
Mugdy tried to trashtalk the umpire Roddick style but failed miserably..

leng jai
03-13-2012, 01:06 AM
Pretty sure Fish got pissy that Ebden didn't ask if her was okay after his dive at the net. Watching Fish lose to players he thinks hes better than is one of the funniest things in the sport.

Ajde.

Naudio Spanlatine
03-13-2012, 01:06 AM
Fish is already a mug, his fans need to deal with it:shrug:

Yves.
03-13-2012, 01:07 AM
Fish is going to plummet after Miami, where he reached the semis last year. He was lucky to have lost in the 2nd round here last year.

moon language
03-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Mardy seems like such a miserable guy.

brickhousesupporter
03-13-2012, 01:12 AM
Hindrance, Mardy, accept it! :o

What's up with these players who can never accept the hindrance rule. :LOL:

It is a stupid fucking rule.....if you clearly hit a winner and yell come one, your opponent gets the point.....Come on umps use some common sense.

lucyfur
03-13-2012, 01:17 AM
Nice.
Funny to watch this on Tennis Channel and hear Lindsay commenting so sympathetically. In TTC's Year in Preview, she was eager to speak truth to power and predict Mardy's fall well before it began.

I remember this show,and Gimbelstob was so sure that Fish will qualify for the WTF, and go higher in the rankings.:haha:

leng jai
03-13-2012, 01:18 AM
It is a stupid fucking rule.....if you clearly hit a winner and yell come one, your opponent gets the point.....Come on umps use some common sense.

You can't yell come on before you the ball bounces twice or goes out otherwise there would no definitive parameter for when players are allowed to ajde, thats common sense. Its nice that the umpire today decided to buck the trend and actually enforce one of the rules.

Ajde

Lestat

wow did he say that? he is a f***ing genius =)
the biggest dude, the biggest!
some ppl complain about ferrer being there but seriously, Fish as top 10 is one of the biggest joke ever.

Voo de Mar

I saw a point in which Ivanisevic played a good volley against Champion on fast indoor surface (London '90) and turned around, but the Frenchman decided to dive on the baseline (I suppose regardless of Ivanisevic's move) and the ball somehow landed on Ivanisevic's side :lol: Never seen something like this again. You never know until the ball hits the court for the second time...

v-money

He didn't hit a winner. Edben made a play on the ball. The purpose of the hinderance rule is so players are not distracted while hitting the ball. How are we to know if Mardy screaming didn't affect Ebden's shot.

brickhousesupporter
03-13-2012, 01:23 AM
He didn't hit a winner. Edben made a play on the ball. The purpose of the hinderance rule is so players are not distracted while hitting the ball. How are we to know if Mardy screaming didn't affect Ebden's shot.

So I can make unnecessary movements when my opponent is trying to play the ball or I can make my shoes squeak and that won't count as hinderance, but if i say comeon that does it. What about hinderance when the crowd gets into a point before it ends.

misty1
03-13-2012, 01:23 AM
seems like mardy's downfall is coming

UsD.AnDreS
03-13-2012, 01:30 AM
With a proper enforcement of hindrance rule I would've given a very slim chance to Sharapova&Azarenka of winning a single point in a match...these girls tend to disturb even before the first bounce

romismak
03-13-2012, 01:37 AM
Fish is tragedy this season, i don´t know what is he doing, IW-Miami he should gain points, than we will have clay seasn where he will be beaten by anybody, so really how he can loose US HC to qualificatier? Hope he will be soon out of top 10 he is really totally out of form last months.

BroTree123
03-13-2012, 01:38 AM
Tennis won with this result :yeah:.

v-money
03-13-2012, 01:40 AM
By the way, I have huge respect for Ebden. I saw a lot of his match vs Nishikori in AO and I thought he was doing some things really well during that match. He was moving forward when he got a chance to finish the point at net and just had good tennis fundamentals and court awareness, but unfortunately the consistency broke down in that match. In this match Ebden was pretty consistent, had some beautiful volleys (he has good form and gets down well for the shoestring volleys), and got ahead of the point with the serve. He's just smart and plays high percentage tennis even though he can't consistently put anyone away with a big shot.

For someone who plays tennis recreationally (as I do), or someone on a school team, or even for a tennis instructors, Ebden is a great example of how to play tennis. I went to tennis camp where the instructors had us watch tennis for teaching purposes and Hewitt was a favorite of theirs to have us watch. Hewitt is also a great fighter, moves well to net, and runs down every ball, except Hewitt has way way more in the shotmaking abilities then Ebden. I agree with Filo V., that he's not all that talented, but I can really appreciate what he does with his game. I'm really starting to like the guy and I hope he keeps moving up the rankings. He should teach some of these players ranked in front of him on how to play with heart.

Ibracadabra
03-13-2012, 01:45 AM
Lmao at fish for not shaking the empires hand. Sticking to the rules is dishonest apparently

Voo de Mar
03-13-2012, 01:50 AM
he's not all that talented, but I can really appreciate what he does with his game

Yes, he's a good example of a player who is able to adjust technical/physical abilities to tactics and on court behavior. One week you will lose 2-6 3-6 to Istomin in a ridiculous event, but the other one you will beat Fish 6-3 6-4 in one of the biggest events of the season. He plays not only percentage tennis but also shows a percentage thinking about his own career ;)

MuzzahLovah
03-13-2012, 01:51 AM
Fish is doing the Roddick/Serena decline.

betowiec
03-13-2012, 01:52 AM
kiss top 10 goodbye fishy

BroTree123
03-13-2012, 01:54 AM
One more wish I'd like to make. Mugdy Fish to lose opening round in Miami :drool:.

SapELee
03-13-2012, 01:54 AM
Congrats Matt :yeah:
:hug: Mardy, it seems like he hasn't play well since the US Open.

Yves.
03-13-2012, 01:55 AM
Lmao at fish for not shaking the empires hand. Sticking to the rules is dishonest apparently

:lol:

TheBaker
03-13-2012, 02:19 AM
Recap of Fish's day
Goes on to court wearing ankle socks.
Cries when opponent doesn't ask if he is okay after falling over.
Yells out in the middle of a point.
Argues with umpire like a buffoon.
Gives dead fish handshake after losing.
Doesn't shake umpires hand.

Arkulari
03-13-2012, 03:06 AM
Fish and Roddick are excellent representatives of the jerk jock stereotype.

Disgraceful.

BroTree123
03-13-2012, 03:10 AM
Americans will be Americans :facepalm:.

Mountaindewslave
03-13-2012, 04:47 AM
Did he really say that? I don't like Mardy at all, but that is pretty funny since I have in the past pointed out how absurd it was that Ljubicic reached #3 in the world. Maybe he would agree.

Ivan has a huge game or at least had a huge game in his prime, I don't know what is 'surprising' about him making it to #3... if anything he underachieved. A player of his talent I'd have expected to do much better at slams

cutesteve22
03-13-2012, 04:50 AM
Mugdy loses = good for tennis

navy75
03-13-2012, 05:33 AM
Fish is such a prick. Always has been. People are finding this out more due to his rise in the rankings, but even in covering challengers Fish was your typical American frat boy whiner with an entitlement attitude. Fish used to love to gossip about all of the other players on the challenger circuit, and was/is a constant source of negativity. Unfortunately there are a disproportionate amount of players like that from this country, with Isner being a notable exception.

danieln1
03-13-2012, 05:42 AM
Useless Fish trying to copy Serena

But he was way more classier than she ever was

Kat_YYZ
03-13-2012, 05:58 AM
http://www.abmcrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/stupid-looking-fish-smaller.jpg
:haha:
I have one for you; it's a fish AND a mug
http://img1.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.111729833.jpg

Ljuba :worship:

Americans will be Americans :facepalm:.

fucking Americans :p

Clay Death
03-13-2012, 06:00 AM
fish is fished. his best days are behind him now.

looks like fish and roddick are on a same cruise. a cruise for the washed up tennis pros.

jcempire
03-13-2012, 06:22 AM
Fish is done for career

leng jai
03-13-2012, 06:25 AM

looks like fish and roddick are on a same cruise. a cruise for the washed up tennis pros.

Affirmative General CD. All he need is some juice, lemon juice.

Ajde.

Dmitry Verdasco
03-13-2012, 07:36 AM
:dance:

Jverweij
03-13-2012, 07:40 AM
Didn't see the match, but I am glad the hindrance rule is being enforced. Fish is having a very bad year, but I didn't know he could be such a prick on court. I expect this kind of behavior from Roddick or Serena, or maybe from Young, but not from Fish. Apparently I was mistaken. You know American tennis isn't in a good place when your best bet is John Isner..

But hey, atleast they don't have to cheer for Haase and de Bakker :rolleyes:

Chris.
03-13-2012, 08:04 AM
Ebden :bowdown: Does he live Matser 1000's or what :lol:

fast_clay
03-13-2012, 08:18 AM
So I can make unnecessary movements when my opponent is trying to play the ball or I can make my shoes squeak and that won't count as hinderance, but if i say comeon that does it. What about hinderance when the crowd gets into a point before it ends.

you are an idiot... there is a hinderance rule here at MTF that i hope the mods enforce upon you... you should have been the population cream that your mum swallowed....

Dougie
03-13-2012, 08:20 AM

Too early to tell. I´m expecting both of them to peak at Winston Salem this year.
Seriously, hard to believe how someone who made the WTF last year can lose his form so fast. Seems to be a mental issue more than anything.

Wojtek
03-13-2012, 08:50 AM
The worst top 10 player since Schuttler

ossie
03-13-2012, 09:24 AM
good for tennis, vamos

Sombrerero loco
03-13-2012, 09:35 AM
matt :bowdown:

Topspindoctor
03-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Fish's presence in top 10 is a blight upon men's rankings. Such a talentless mug in top 10 is bringing ATP tour into disrepute almost as bad as Wozniacki being in top 5.

Kat_YYZ
03-13-2012, 11:39 AM
All jokes aside, while I agree that Fish isn't really top 10 material, he's definitely good enough to be a steady #11-20. Just don't know what's eating him lately. Since the Hopman Cup thing with Dimitrov, he's been a royal douche (well, many instances before that, too; but almost consistently since then). Wonder what's making him so pissy.

masterclass
03-13-2012, 11:44 AM
With a proper enforcement of hindrance rule I would've given a very slim chance to Sharapova&Azarenka of winning a single point in a match...these girls tend to disturb even before the first bounce

A bit off-topic from original post, and probably doesn't belong in MTF, but...yes

If 3 or 4 top non-screaming players would all have the guts to stop play once the screams are belted out, and complain that they were being hindered, you should soon see the screamers being told to shut up. Players seem too intimidated to challenge the screaming hyenas. A player can say that the scream was too loud during the point and it distracted them (made them take their eye of the ball, couldn't hear the ball coming off the racquet, whatever).

That said, the umpires and their officiating bosses would have to have the guts to back them up, and not just cater to the top screaming players because they bring fans to the stands and viewers to the television screens.

Don't be fooled. The screamers can still play well without screaming. They were taught to do it to gain a mental advantage. If I were an opponent, and the umpire did not back me up on a hinderance complaint, I would belt the ball straight at the screamer's mouth as soon as I got the chance and tell them to save their screaming for the bedroom; it has no place on the tennis court. ;)

Respectfully,
masterclass

Chris Kuerten
03-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Fish is finished as a top 10 player, hope he enjoyed the ride.