Indian Wells R3: Djokovic beats Anderson 6-2, 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Indian Wells R3: Djokovic beats Anderson 6-2, 6-3

rinnegan
03-12-2012, 10:54 PM
A comfortable win despite Nole playing below par. Anderson never really threatened him.

The march to the final continues. :sport:

NID
03-12-2012, 10:54 PM
ugly win, so typical.

jonas
03-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Sure Djokovic isn't at the top of his game. I still find it impressive winning matches with easy scores like this despite playing so so.
He will have to raise his game if he wants the W in this tourny. I'm sure he will, but I'm not sure it's enough vs Rafa or Roger.

http://i40.tinypic.com/m9st5f.png

FlameOn
03-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Djoker :cheerleader:

henke007
03-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Andersons groundgame is so impressive for being a tall guy. Not many takes Nole to 14 minute games.

Nole fan
03-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Sure Djokovic isn't at the top of his game. I still find it impressive winning matches with easy scores like this despite playing so so.
He will have to raise his game if he wants the W in this tourny. I'm sure he will, but I'm not sure it's enough vs Rafa or Roger.

Oh he will. :dance:
I still remember how many people wrote him off at Wimbledon after the first week where he played pretty bad. Then he came with all guns firing when it mattered, against tsonga and nadal.

Branimir
03-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Why doees Nole play soooooo average :s

Nole fan
03-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Andersons groundgame is so impressive for being a tall guy. Not many takes Nole to 14 minute games.

Anderson has always been a player to watch. He has a giant serve and sound groundstrokes. Wonder why he hasn't achieved much more.

Lee
03-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Nole improved his game in the second set. Still has lots of room to improve.

arm
03-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Nole improved his game in the second set. Still has lots of room to improve.

It's not like we want him to peak in IW R3 anyway. :lol:

It was a bit boring, but a win is a win.

teacherling
03-12-2012, 11:04 PM
ugly win, so typical.

Yeah, it was an ugly win in a way. What is scary is that all the time I had this feeling that Novak was in second gear. He did accelerate a couple of times and it was so obvious. As he did against Golubev, just a couple of times and then his quality showed. I found his attitude completely ugly though. He actually played cat and mouse with both Golubev and Anderson. He'd catch the mouse (had them under his watchful eye) and let them play a little and just about when they were about to flee (for example, just when Anderson was about to break him) he'd grab and squeeze them into submission. Scary stuff. And I don't think I like Novak all that much any more. He was a much more enjoyable player back in 2008 when he showed passion and wished to win, when he was not so secretive about what he could do. Today he tried only one DTL backhand shot and it didn't go in and he gave up on it, as if it wasn't his favorite winning groundstroke. Regardless one was never in doubt about the score and that's what I find scary and ugly.

finishingmove
03-12-2012, 11:06 PM
great win consider he played his nemesis

Mountaindewslave
03-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Oh he will. :dance:
I still remember how many people wrote him off at Wimbledon after the first week where he played pretty bad. Then he came with all guns firing when it mattered, against tsonga and nadal.

careful with automatic assumptions that Djokovic will do well. tennis is an ever changing sport and no player always does well year after year unless they are named Roger Federer.

Djokovic looks off and got a bit lucky in a few games in this match that Anderson let nerves get to him. I'm sure Novak will improve his game as this tournament progresses but your blind faith is strange. And as for your comment about Wimbledon, that did happen but you can't assume every tournament a player is not playing his best that he will definitely start to play his best at the latter stages.
more often than not a player who is in bad form in a tournament gets knocked out rather than drastically improve. Djokovic is definitely not your normal player but even he cannot always defy trends.

Sunset of Age
03-12-2012, 11:07 PM
NID, but far from convincing. Rafa must have enjoyed watching this.

Mountaindewslave
03-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Yeah, it was an ugly win in a way. What is scary is that all the time I had this feeling that Novak was in second gear. He did accelerate a couple of times and it was so obvious. As he did against Golubev, just a couple of times and then his quality showed. I found his attitude completely ugly though. He actually played cat and mouse with both Golubev and Anderson. He'd catch the mouse (had them under his watchful eye) and let them play a little and just about when they were about to flee (for example, just when Anderson was about to break him) he'd grab and squeeze them into submission. Scary stuff. And I don't think I like Novak all that much any more. He was a much more enjoyable player back in 2008 when he showed passion and wished to win, when he was not so secretive about what he could do. Today he tried only one DTL backhand shot and it didn't go in and he gave up on it, as if it wasn't his favorite winning groundstroke. Regardless one was never in doubt about the score and that's what I find scary and ugly.

I agree; I watched the match and felt so bad for the crowd, Novak made this match not at all enjoyable to watch. he looked indifferent the entire time and lacks so much passion these days. he still can play great (or at least win matches by large margins) but often he looks so not excited! or happy. people mention it about Nadal or Murray sometimes, the fact they look like they are going through the motions out there / disinterested but definitely since the fantastic season last year Djokovic seems less passionate. that is concerning if you ask me but maybe he really is sticking to his guns about prioritizing slams.
then again the crowd pays for a good match with players who 'care' so it's a bit dissapointing

Time Violation
03-12-2012, 11:24 PM
He was playing in the hot and slow conditions against a pretty good player, who just won a tournament btw, I'm not sure what kind of enjoyment from Novak you all expect.

He never got broken, even hit a pair of aces down a break point and won 2 and 3, nothing shabby about that. Moreover, Anderson sure didn't fold, and match was over 90 minutes long, so the crowd shouldn't be too unhappy either :)

MIMIC
03-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Very bizarre that such an indifferent Novak can win the set 6-2. He definitely looked more motivated in the second, though.

leng jai
03-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Boring match to say the last. Nole playing at 40% and still winning 6-2 6-3.

The cap obviously makes him look and play like a gimp.

Ajde.

Sombrerero loco
03-12-2012, 11:32 PM
poor kevin =( unlucky draw

GSMnadal
03-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Why is this guy called the baker again? :rolleyes:

sicko
03-12-2012, 11:43 PM
nole on a 2-match streak.

Nole fan
03-12-2012, 11:53 PM
careful with automatic assumptions that Djokovic will do well. tennis is an ever changing sport and no player always does well year after year unless they are named Roger Federer.

Djokovic looks off and got a bit lucky in a few games in this match that Anderson let nerves get to him. I'm sure Novak will improve his game as this tournament progresses but your blind faith is strange. And as for your comment about Wimbledon, that did happen but you can't assume every tournament a player is not playing his best that he will definitely start to play his best at the latter stages.
more often than not a player who is in bad form in a tournament gets knocked out rather than drastically improve. Djokovic is definitely not your normal player but even he cannot always defy trends.

Oh man you always make me laugh and not for the right reasons.

Hewitt =Legend
03-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Keep going, my lord...

:bowdown:

Ajde..???

Naudio Spanlatine
03-13-2012, 12:02 AM
NID, Anderson is so boring to watch:lol:

Anyways keep going Nole:angel: :sport:

tennizen
03-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Anderson is a good player. Hit some excellent returns off Nole's second serves and put a lot of pressure in the first set. Nole played much better in the second.

Slice Winner
03-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Nole looked in similar form to when he lost to Muzz at Dubai.
Not a good sign.

HeretiC
03-13-2012, 12:31 AM
Anderson has always been a player to watch. He has a giant serve and sound groundstrokes. Wonder why he hasn't achieved much more.

Cause his serve is erratic, you can see him hit 4 first serves and win the game without losing a point and in the next he won't hit a single first serve and his BH pretty much cracks down after few shots, Djokovic knows that and that is why he did not hit BHs down the line, no need to risk going to a stronger wing(to answer the poster who mention that fact).

It was strange that Djokovic won the first set with a double break with 5 winners and 12 UEs, in the second only one break but with 12 winners and 6 UEs.

Johnny Groove
03-13-2012, 12:56 AM
Nole is smart to cruise through these matches in 2nd gear. Learning from Fedal. Conserve your energy for the SF/F.

BroTree123
03-13-2012, 12:57 AM
Djokovic declining already :o.

thrust
03-13-2012, 01:15 AM
I agree; I watched the match and felt so bad for the crowd, Novak made this match not at all enjoyable to watch. he looked indifferent the entire time and lacks so much passion these days. he still can play great (or at least win matches by large margins) but often he looks so not excited! or happy. people mention it about Nadal or Murray sometimes, the fact they look like they are going through the motions out there / disinterested but definitely since the fantastic season last year Djokovic seems less passionate. that is concerning if you ask me but maybe he really is sticking to his guns about prioritizing slams.
then again the crowd pays for a good match with players who 'care' so it's a bit dissapointing

Of course he cares! He probably knew he could win this match so was not as pumped as he would be against the other big 3 or Tsonga and Ferrer. I doubt he will have the great year he had last year when everything he hit, when he most needed it, went in. Time will tell.

Mr. Oracle
03-13-2012, 07:00 AM

True, he may have been firing on all cylinders in 2008/09 in nadaldian fashion, all the time, but we also saw how that pace led to "Gaspovic" as he ran deep into some tournaments. The demands of the tour are such that one has to pace himself. Better a Lethargovic who gets a win instead of a Gaspovic who has to retire. There is only one madman on tour who can fire on all cylinders all the time and we all know who he is...the lawnmower man who hails from spain.

Mr. Oracle
03-13-2012, 07:04 AM

Damn son its only a masters tournament. The champ clearly has bigger fish to fry. These are tournaments that Murray should be getting excited about.

heya
03-13-2012, 07:45 AM
djokovic could improve upon the consistent 15 months. not everything was good last year, so why is everyone surprised that he could reach #1, beat nadal and federer in most events, then struggle to stay healthy?
nadal and federer could be number 1 with the worse competition level in 2006 and 2008, but djoker can't be better than last year?

Alex999
03-13-2012, 12:06 PM
I agree that it was an ugly win, but Novak is simply able to toy with his opponents nowadays. I also prefer his aggressive game back in 2007/08 but this is working for him. that's why he is #1 in the world. one thing that really separates the top dogs from the rest of the field is CONSISTENCY. they simply know how to play big points. yes, Anderson is a good player, he can play few good games but he fails when it really matters.

I also feel that Nole doesn't put too much effort against lower ranked players.