Indian Wells players hit by airbone illness (Davydenko withdraws due to illness) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Indian Wells players hit by airbone illness (Davydenko withdraws due to illness)

tennis2tennis
03-12-2012, 11:17 AM
After Roger admitted he felt ill news of a bug hitting Indian Wells broke...

Indian Wells players hit by stomach bug

March 12 2012 at 01:16am
By Mark Lamport-Stokes

Comment on this story

Indian Wells - Intestinal fortitude has become a prized commodity at Indian Wells, where at least six players have succumbed to what appears to be a viral infection over the past three days, organisers said.

Frenchman Gael Monfils, the 14th seed in the ATP tournament, and American Vania King both pulled out of the singles draw on Sunday because of stomach problems.

Monfils, who had been scheduled to play his first match against Russian Nikolay Davydenko in the second round, was replaced in the draw by lucky loser Bjorn Phau of Germany.

King, who won her first WTA title in Paris last month, had already played two matches in the California desert and her pullout handed 18th-seeded German Angelique Kerber a place in the fourth round of the WTA tournament.

King, who had never reached the fourth round at Indian Wells, tweeted on Sunday: “Just spent one of the worst nights of my life (gruesome details) fever, vomiting, diarrhoea.. all at the same time.. caught a bug from someone.”

Earlier this week, Germany's Philipp Kohlschreiber, Italian Andreas Seppi, Slovakia's Magdalena Rybarikova and American Bethanie Mattek-Sands had all suffered from stomach bugs.

Kohlschreiber withdrew before his second match of the week, Seppi and Rybarikova retired during their second-round encounters while Mattek-Sands, who lost her first-round match in the singles, is still competing in the women's doubles.

Tournament organisers said food poisoning at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden was an unlikely cause of the multiple withdrawals, adding there had been widespread reports of stomach bugs in schools throughout California. - Reuters

ballbasher101
03-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Don't these guys travel with chefs and take a number of preventative measures to avoid things like this :confused:. Are well what do I know.

Time Violation
03-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Don't these guys travel with chefs and take a number of preventative measures to avoid things like this :confused:. Are well what do I know.

Well, it's a virus and players can't avoid meeting a lot of people, so can easily happen.

Lopez
03-12-2012, 12:15 PM

Actually I'd bet there's a bigger risk of catching food poisoning traveling with a chef... The tournaments are probably religously looking after their food and that they don't mess anything up.

When I was volunteering at the Athletics World Championships in Helsinki, they didn't allow anyone to cook their own food because they were afraid that someone might catch food poisoning and then the organizers would be blamed :p

RIboy
03-12-2012, 12:17 PM
http://www.imagelobster.com/images/Pics/grafitti-gas-mask.jpg

henke007
03-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Uncle Toni again

hotdog
03-12-2012, 12:20 PM
I don't think Uncle Toni is in Indian Wells.

HKz
03-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Yeah I don't know, something strange has been going on here. I just bot back from California (live in Arizona) and I had the nastiest stomach pains for a week not to mention the nausea and other symptoms I had. Never went in to check it out as I normally say these things should pass on their own, but boy wtf. My wife also got a little sick too. Probably all just a coincidence, but maybe there is something the water. :o

takuma
03-12-2012, 12:22 PM
They're not traveling with chefs normally (except for Gulbis, who has private chefs on boards of his submarines and spaceships)...

Sunset of Age
03-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Shit happens. Literally, in this case.

There's no hiding from virus infections at times, whatever you try.

Thunderfish8
03-12-2012, 12:25 PM
you guys should stop trying to find a cause for this bug

there is no food conspiracy or unsanitary conditions

the sickness got spread the same way it would spread in a middle school:

one person gets sick --> because that one person is always hanging around his peers, they get sick as well --> as long as these people keep socializing together, the bug will continue spreading

the players are always socializing together and hanging out together --> if one person is contagious before symptoms show, others will catch the bug

theres no secret to it... just common sense

Action Jackson
03-12-2012, 12:26 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news;_ylt=AjlLFh1a97tCDDHgf_xGOug4v7YF?slug=afp-tennis_atp_wta_usa_virus_20120311

Two more players pulled out of the Indian Wells tennis tournament on Sunday with a virus, prompting Palm Springs area health officials to issue a health warning.

French 14th seed Gael Monfils and American Vania King withdrew from their matches Sunday at the hardcourt tournament. They joined Magdalena Rybarikova, Philipp Kohlschreiber, Andreas Seppi and Bethanie Mattek-Sands, who have all complained of stomach problems.

King said her symptoms included vomiting and diarrhea.

"Just spent one of the worst nights of my life (gruesome details) fever, vomiting, diarrhea … all at the same time … caught a bug from someone," King said on her social networking site Twitter.

Palm Spring's area health officials said players and tennis fans have been getting sick but added it is not limited to the tennis event. They described it as an airborne illness and ruled out food poisoning, which many of the players thought initially might be what was making them sick.

"There is currently a Coachella Valley-wide virus which is resulting in symptoms of nausea and vomiting, fever, and subsequent diarrhea," the statement said. "It is self-limited and lasts between 24 and 48 hours. It is transmitted by air and direct contact and not passed via food.

"Emergency Departments across the valley have seen an increase in patients with these symptoms. At Eisenhower Medical Center, which provides medical support for the BNP Paribas Open, we have seen increases in overall visits to the emergency department by about 15 percent over the past week. We have seen fans and players at the tournament experience these symptoms as well."

King's exit meant that her opponent Angelique Kerber of Germany moved onto the next round.

Monfils was replaced in the men's draw by German lucky loser Bjorn Phau.

American Mattek-Sands did not pull out and opted to continue in doubles and won her latest match with partner Jarmila Gajdosova.

"Food poisoning last night :( not fun… I'll just have to keep one of those airplane bags close by today in Dubs!!," Mattek-Sands wrote on Twitter.

acionescu
03-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Health officials from the area said its not food-poisoning its a virus that gets transmitted by air.

Emergency Departments across the valley have seen an increase in patients with these symptoms. At Eisenhower Medical Center, which provides medical support for the BNP Paribas Open, we have seen increases in overall visits to the emergency department by about 15 percent over the past week. We have seen fans and players at the tournament experience these symptoms as well.”

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/indian-wells-tennis-players-hit-by-virus-1.59351

HKz
03-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Health officials from the area said its not food-poisoning its a virus that gets transmitted by air.

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/indian-wells-tennis-players-hit-by-virus-1.59351

Hmm so maybe something truly has been going around. :confused:

henke007
03-12-2012, 12:35 PM
I hope Nole is put down from a helicopter on court and airlifted away after the matches.

iriraz
03-12-2012, 12:40 PM
I hope Nole is put down from a helicopter on court and airlifted away after the matches.

He could catch the flu from the helicopter pilot,from his trainer or from anyone in his surrounding.There is no hiding really.If u catch the flu it`s bad luck and if not then u are lucky.It can happen to anyone in this period.

masterclass
03-12-2012, 12:40 PM

No, no, he's just staying isolated in his egg. He'll be fine ;)

Respectfully,
masterclass

Topspindoctor
03-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Olderer is probably carrier. Everyone but him will get sick and he will comfortably cruise to title.

leng jai
03-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Olderer is probably carrier. Everyone but him will get sick and he will comfortably cruise to title.

Story of Rogi's career.

Ajde.

scoobs
03-12-2012, 12:44 PM
It's like Contagion there right now - they're trepanning Gwyneth Paltrow's skull even as we speak.

duong
03-12-2012, 12:46 PM
According to Action_Jackson's article, it should go in 24-48 hr.

But Federer said he didn't have that virus, it was something else which everyone in his family had, he was the least concerned although he had some fever.

BroTree123
03-12-2012, 12:52 PM

Olderer has caught the virus too. That means Rafa's path to the final will be a cruise :drool::rocker2:.

coolfish1103
03-12-2012, 01:00 PM
When did Vania win a tournament in France? :facepalm:

samanosuke
03-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Spanish mafia again. When the court business failed, they switched to more direct methods

MrEleganza
03-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Yeah I don't know, something strange has been going on here. I just bot back from California (live in Arizona) and I had the nastiest stomach pains for a week not to mention the nausea and other symptoms I had. Never went in to check it out as I normally say these things should pass on their own, but boy wtf. My wife also got a little sick too. Probably all just a coincidence, but maybe there is something the water. :o

Everyone knows that when going to a third-world destination like California, you need to stick to bottled water, or if you MUST use tap water, boil it within an inch of its life first.

I kid because I love, California!

paseo
03-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Shitty tournament. Can't even protect the players.

emotion
03-12-2012, 01:35 PM
One reason I like illness: Davydenko has a legit path to the final if he gets Bellucci-Raonic-del Potro (he doesn't want Ferrer)- Nadal

ballbasher101
03-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Airborne illnesses are notoriously tough to control. Time for the players to go on court wearing face masks :devil:. Nothing anyone can do here apart from just waiting and see what happens.

Yves.
03-12-2012, 03:20 PM
It's like Contagion there right now - they're trepanning Gwyneth Paltrow's skull even as we speak.

Good post, was thinking of that movie too.

Johnny Groove
03-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Don Toni Corelone Nadal at it again it seems.

Controlling flu viruses in California from Mallorca.

This man can do it all.

uNIVERSE mAN
03-12-2012, 04:19 PM
they should be playing this tournament in hazmat suits.

fast_clay
03-12-2012, 04:31 PM
if federer and a string of WTA players have the virus then it's one of the tell-tale signs that nadal has a stomach bug on the end of his donger

bornnl
03-12-2012, 04:48 PM
They're not traveling with chefs normally (except for Gulbis, who has private chefs on boards of his submarines and spaceships)...

LOL i had to log in when i read this.
I hate mister Ernest...,epic retardness

Henry Chinaski
03-12-2012, 05:33 PM

what a post

MIMIC
03-12-2012, 06:12 PM
A similar incident happened on the Hollywood episode of American Idol a few weeks back :lol: (and coincidentally, they film in California)

156mphserve
03-12-2012, 06:57 PM
This happened at a curling event a few weeks ago, 1 or 2 people came with the flu, and then everyone got it, players were sitting out left right and center, and most of the people who were playing were still sick just not sick enough to sit out, 1 team had to play a game with only 3 players because one of their players got sick, and their alternate got sick as well.

Impossible to stop it once it starts, just gotta take as many precautions as possible and hope you don't catch it

Roamed
03-12-2012, 07:17 PM
So Schiavone goes down, and they're speculating about Stosur too.

latso
03-12-2012, 07:20 PM
I think Grigor caught it after the Hopman cup and can't get rid of it.

Orka_n
03-12-2012, 07:21 PM
I don't think Uncle Toni is in Indian Wells.That's what he wants you to think mate.

misty1
03-12-2012, 07:28 PM
This happened at a curling event a few weeks ago, 1 or 2 people came with the flu, and then everyone got it, players were sitting out left right and center, and most of the people who were playing were still sick just not sick enough to sit out, 1 team had to play a game with only 3 players because one of their players got sick, and their alternate got sick as well.

Impossible to stop it once it starts, just gotta take as many precautions as possible and hope you don't catch it

yeah, at the scotties

Players from BC, New Brunswick and the Yukon all got sick.I think someone from PEI was sick too. The yukon was the team that had to play with 3 players

also happened at the brier recently. The skip of PEI was sick for the first few days and the third for Alberta as well as lead for Ontario got sick

abraxas21
03-12-2012, 07:34 PM
clearly uncle toni at it again

Sunset of Age
03-12-2012, 07:48 PM
It's getting worse and worse so I read. All one can say is, "get well soon!" to all affected and hope it won't spread around any further. :tape:

That's what he wants you to think mate.

:spit: Sneaky. :devil:

rocketassist
03-13-2012, 12:46 AM
This and Miami are the worst tournaments on tour. Bin them.

hilluis
03-13-2012, 01:58 AM
Stomach bugs are not transmitted by air. That article is a bit wrong. Stomach viruses are highly contagious and primarily spread through the fecal-oral route. Technically, you need to swallow the virus to get the virus ( unlike a cold which is an airborne virus). Unwashed hands are the main culprit...however, when a person vomits then particles can go all over the place and so I guess that is airborne..... Hard to avoid with all that contact with towels, ball kids, balls etc etc

fast_clay
03-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Stomach bugs are not transmitted by air. That article is a bit wrong. Stomach viruses are highly contagious and primarily spread through the fecal-oral route. Technically, you need to swallow the virus to get the virus ( unlike a cold which is an airborne virus). Unwashed hands are the main culprit...however, when a person vomits then particles can go all over the place and so I guess that is airborne..... Hard to avoid with all that contact with towels, ball kids, balls etc etc

i agree, and as i said, whenever fed gets the virus it is primarily because the virus has been lurking around on the end of nadal's knob...

tripwires
03-13-2012, 08:33 AM
:facepalm:

Mr. Oracle
03-13-2012, 10:21 AM
These bugs can be worse than death. Violent vomiting, can't even hold down small sips of water, diarrhea, dehydration, fever, cramps. Ravaged my place of work within 4 days. Everyone was sick.

ballbasher101
03-13-2012, 11:00 AM
They are all falling like flies. It is the organisers who deserve to get struck with this virus not the players. They have slowed down the courts again I hear :o

cardio
03-13-2012, 11:04 AM
He could catch the flu from the helicopter pilot,from his trainer or from anyone in his surrounding.There is no hiding really.If u catch the flu it`s bad luck and if not then u are lucky.It can happen to anyone in this period.

Lots of garlic and 2 shots of ether-vodka twice a day ( which tastes and smells like liquid fire from hell ) prevents and kills any early virus infection.Plus, after that you really smell SO BAD, that even your family prefers stay away from you at least 20 feet in open air ,not to mention all strangers:devil:

ZaZoo)
03-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Check out sickerer in action :ignore:

pRmoJPRoozU

156mphserve
03-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Feverer

it fits his name better

nalbyfan
03-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Was Murray sick or just the usual IW's effect ?

jimboy7
03-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Feverer

it fits his name better

yes. now its all about the right decision. try to survive the next few days or recover well und be fit in 10 days in miami.

Tennis-Life
03-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Check out sickerer in action :ignore:

pRmoJPRoozU

he's clearly sick :(

BroTree123
03-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Federer should hand W/O.

Pirata.
03-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Even Milos sounds a bit stuffy.

fast_clay
03-13-2012, 04:18 PM
almagro, ferrer and 4 other spaniards have come down with the fever too so i'd say that is pretty comprehensive proof that indeed the stomach bug was originally located somewhere on nadal's johnson...

Action Jackson
03-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Davydenko withdrew from the match against Bellucci.

Sunset of Age
03-13-2012, 05:41 PM

Shit. :sad:
Another victim of the bug, or something else?

Naudio Spanlatine
Oh dear this tournament is cursed:facepalm:

Robhes
almagro, ferrer and 4 other spaniards have come down with the fever too

SOURCE ?

alter ego
03-13-2012, 05:42 PM

:sad:
And he was playing litlle bit better.

Action Jackson
Yes, Davydenko withdrew due to illness.

TheBoiledEgg
Not Kolya too :( had a pretty good draw to get thru

Sunset of Age
03-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Not Kolya too :( had a pretty good draw to get thru
Indeed. I began having quite a little hope for him to be able to make a good run here. :(

samanosuke
03-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Have sneaky feeling i will wake up at 3 in the morning for nothing

gulzhan
03-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Poor Kolya :sad:

Sunset of Age
03-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Have sneaky feeling i will wake up at 3 in the morning for nothing

Same here. Or staying up till 3:00 AM - even worse. :bolt:

samanosuke
03-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Same here. Or staying up till 3:00 AM - even worse. :bolt:

can't stay up. have to wake up in 6 so 3 hours less or more :lol:

rocketassist
03-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Cancel this shit tournament.

samanosuke
03-13-2012, 05:52 PM
only one guy can win tournament in these circumstances. But this will be huge even for his standards

acionescu
03-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Shit.

Exactly :D

Sean.
03-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Indi Un-Wells. :o

misty1
03-13-2012, 05:55 PM
nikolay:sad:

fast_clay
03-13-2012, 05:55 PM
SOURCE ?

nadal's johnson

Chris Kuerten
03-13-2012, 06:04 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0601/ten_g_toni-nadal01_200.jpg

Li Ching Yuen
03-13-2012, 06:06 PM
:worship:

Tio Toni doing the job. In absentia.

acionescu
03-13-2012, 06:14 PM
MTF at it again :worship: In dementia.

Li Ching Yuen
03-13-2012, 06:38 PM
MTF at it again :worship: In dementia.

:lol:

:hug:

Start da Game
03-13-2012, 07:17 PM
very fitting to the script if nadal and djokovic are the only ones who aren't affected by virus by the time of finals.....

fsoica
03-13-2012, 07:23 PM
very fitting to the script if nadal and djokovic are the only ones who aren't affected by virus by the time of finals.....

what do you mean? what script?

Start da Game
03-13-2012, 07:42 PM
rafa and djoker have to settle the mental edge going forward in the season.....indian wells and miami 2012 is all about them.....that's the script designed by tennis gods.....

Li Ching Yuen
03-13-2012, 07:46 PM
I miss the mandatory The Magician rant in a thread like this. :tears:

green25814
03-13-2012, 08:06 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0601/ten_g_toni-nadal01_200.jpg

Just look at this evil bastard. Certified bond villain for sure

Nole Rules
03-13-2012, 08:28 PM
I miss the mandatory The Magician rant in a thread like this. :tears:

Indeed. :sad:

Mateya
03-13-2012, 08:59 PM
A new biological weapon, developed by tennis mafia. :) Only the best will survive.

Seriously, this is becoming worrying and tournament is in a bit of a danger now. What if Djoker-Fed-Nadal get ill. We would have a joke of a tournament with some Ebden in the final. :tape:

Looner
03-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Fed is ill. He had fever/cold in his 1st match. He still won in under 1h. He hasn't got the tournament virus though.

masterclass
03-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Isn't curious how the official ATP site, the WTA site, and the tournament site have almost completely buried this news worthy and pertinent story? How many players have been affected and either withdrawn/retired or lost because of it so far?

I don't see one article in any of those site's news sections highlighting it so far.

I guess it will have to hit one of the top 3 players before it gets mentioned.

I don't care if it doesn't look good for the tournament to report it; to not mention it is unfair to the players.

If I've missed seeing this story on any of these sites, please correct me.

Respectfully,
masterclass

swebright
03-14-2012, 02:22 AM
Thorough hand washing.
Hand sanitizers gels won't work.

finishingmove
03-14-2012, 03:13 AM
yanks and their experiments on people...

Stefwhit
03-14-2012, 04:22 AM
Isn't curious how the official ATP site, the WTA site, and the tournament site have almost completely buried this news worthy and pertinent story? How many players have been affected and either withdrawn/retired or lost because of it so far?

I don't see one article in any of those site's news sections highlighting it so far.

I guess it will have to hit one of the top 3 players before it gets mentioned.

I don't care if it doesn't look good for the tournament to report it; to not mention it is unfair to the players.

If I've missed seeing this story on any of these sites, please correct me.

Respectfully,
masterclass

I've noticed that as well. I mean with the amount of people affected- or should I say infected, you would think the story would be front and center. Then again when a billionaire own the event he's doing everything in his power to keep it hush- and with his deep pockets that's a lot of power.

In Mexico they have Montezuma's revenge, in Indian Wells they have Williams Revenge ...:devil:

masterclass
03-14-2012, 06:08 AM
I've noticed that as well. I mean with the amount of people affected- or should I say infected, you would think the story would be front and center. Then again when a billionaire own the event he's doing everything in his power to keep it hush- and with his deep pockets that's a lot of power.

In Mexico they have Montezuma's revenge, in Indian Wells they have Williams Revenge ...:devil:

Agreed, especially with regards to the tournament website.
But for the ATP and WTA sites? So much for their integrity.
With the story "front and center" in the "free press", it's made even more conspicuous by its absence.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Mystique
03-14-2012, 06:13 AM
Just look at this evil bastard. Certified bond villain for sure

This.
Don Toni at it again. :o

iriraz
03-14-2012, 06:16 AM
Federer said in his interview that he still isn`t feeling well and is only looking day by day.
He mentioned that playing a guy ranked outside top 100 in R1 and then a big server who will keep the points short he will have his chances to advance.But not beeing 100% healthy it will be a struggle for Federer against a baseliner who will play lots of longer rallies.

Roamed
03-14-2012, 07:03 PM
The Indian Wells epidemic claims Mike Bryan :o