Indian Wells R2: Istomin def. [31] Chela 7-6(5) 6-7(7) 7-5 in 3:22 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Indian Wells R2: Istomin def. [31] Chela 7-6(5) 6-7(7) 7-5 in 3:22

Filo V.
03-11-2012, 10:35 PM
First set was very WTA. Chela had two break points to start the match, which were not taken. Istomin then broke immediately for *2-0 and saved a BP for 3-0 in two very long games. The first three games took 20 minutes, and the first six games went to break point. Istomin broke Chela again for *4-0 after Chela saved two BP's, but was broken to love to lose one of the two breaks. Chela saved BP for 2-*4, and broke Istomin when he was serving for the set at 5-3. Istomin saved two break points in an 8 minute game at 5 all but double faulted to be broken. Predictably, Chela lost serve to 30 serving for the first set at 6-5.

In the tiebreak, both players traded mini-break advantages to begin, before Istomin took the final mini-break for 6-*4 in the tiebreaker, and closed it out on his serve to win the first set in an 1:20.

Second set started with both players trading breaks of serve, and Chela saving four break points in another marathon game for 2-1. After that, there were holds through the rest of the set, with Istomin holding comfortably overall and Chela saving a break point after being ahead 40-0 at 5 all.

In the second set breaker, Istomin went from 3-*4 to winning three straight points and taking at *6-4 lead. Predictably, he failed to close things out on serve, then failed to close things out again leading *7-6, losing both service points to give Chela an *8-7 lead, which he served out.

In the third set, both players held comfortably until 2 all, where Chela took the lead with a break. At *3-2 Chela held serve in another long game that went several deuces, Chela saved one BP and had several game points before holding. Istomin held serve, and then Chela had 30-0 in his next service game, before losing four straight points to be broken for 4 all. Both held serve without facing a break point from there until *5-6, where Chela immediately fell behind 0-40. Chela saved all three match points before finally succumbing on the fourth against him.

Almost 3 1/2 hours this match took. No surprise Chela would be involved. Good win in the end for Denis.

Pirata.
03-11-2012, 10:37 PM
NID :haha:

Good win in the end for Denis.

Glad to see your ban has made you a kinder person :hug:

allpro
03-11-2012, 10:37 PM
fuck yeah!

Chris Kuerten
03-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Standard Chela match, too bad he didn't win.

Filo V.
03-11-2012, 10:41 PM
I never disliked Denis, I just wanted him out of the top 100 when the chance was there. He's a good player with a good game. I'm glad he won since he'll now be out of the Dallas challenger and make it easier for a favorite of mine to win!

Voo de Mar
03-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Chela wins match point down sets only if it's the second set, he has done it 9 times in his career and 6 out of these matches finished as a winner.

Naudio Spanlatine
03-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Istomin omg i thought you were gonna lose:haha:

Amazing win tho:yeah:

kiriri***
03-11-2012, 10:54 PM
What a match:eek:

Geo
03-12-2012, 03:24 AM
good work Istomin :yeah: Chela is so dreadful to watch.

BroTree123
03-12-2012, 04:42 AM
Istomin's form right now is just :facepalm:. But he got it done, which is what mattered in the end.

Sauletekis
03-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Chela, the Hardcourt GOAT!

Mateya
03-12-2012, 08:56 PM
What an effort and what a match! For nothing really :bigcry: :sad:

Saved 3 MP in the second set, went break ahead in the third...all that only to lose on seventh MP after three and a half hours in the desert.
Probably one of the tightest matches here. For example, in the first set they both won the same amount of points and both had almost same stats.

I need a big hug. :sad:

allpro
03-13-2012, 04:15 AM
What an effort and what a match! For nothing really :bigcry: :sad:

Saved 3 MP in the second set, went break ahead in the third...all that only to lose on seventh MP after three and a half hours in the desert.
Probably one of the tightest matches here. For example, in the first set they both won the same amount of points and both had almost same stats.

I need a big hug. :sad:

http://www.zboriste.com/Smileys/classic/sfd.gif :hug:

abraxas21
03-13-2012, 04:24 AM
tennis won!