2012 Hardcourt all the way! 100% going forward! Hopefully. [Archive] - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

2012 Hardcourt all the way! 100% going forward! Hopefully.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Gillouthe best
09-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Also, Allez Gilles for tomorrow vs Tipsarevic! he has a good H2H vs him, but Tipsy is gonna be really tough to beat if he can't serve 100%, though today he served well.

lalaland
09-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Simon Vs Tipsy. Tomorrow 1pm.

H-H 4-1. But then, Tipsy has became a different player since he became Top 10, a lot more solid. So H to H is 1-1 against the Top 10 Tipsy. And of course, Tipsy has a good serve despite his height. Gilles needs to hold his own to have a chance.

Allez Gilles. I really want him to win this for Tutu, but then I also hate to put my hope too high. So do your best, Gilles.

MsTree
09-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Oh what??!!!??!! Another 6am start - on the weekend :tape:
Might have do some cheerleading now :cheerleader: in case I'm not fit in the morning!!!

Nagyovafan
09-29-2012, 06:47 AM
Allez Gillou!

MsTree
09-29-2012, 06:50 AM
Come on!!!! Break up 4-3

GilleSimonAddict
09-29-2012, 07:00 AM
What a rally!

Gillouthe best
09-29-2012, 07:02 AM
No Gilles :sad: , bad moment to miss a volley.

Gillouthe best
09-29-2012, 07:05 AM
He gets the set 6-4 :yeah:

Nagyovafan
09-29-2012, 07:05 AM
First set to Simon! Allez! Some awesome rallies in this match fersher

Gillouthe best
09-29-2012, 07:39 AM
Don't get mad Gilles, it was just too good from Tipsy, Allez!

Gillouthe best
09-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Tipsy keeps saving BP's :mad:

MsTree
09-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Gillou is rocking the challenges today!

Serving for the match! ALLEZ!!! :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

GilleSimonAddict
09-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Boy, if anybody ever needed any convincing of how great, crucial and important the challenge system is, I hope they are watching this match. :lol:

Gillouthe best
09-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Gilles finally breaks.

Nagyovafan
09-29-2012, 07:56 AM
He's been serving very well! Ace! Allez!

MsTree
09-29-2012, 07:57 AM
6-4 6-4.
Gillou takes out the trash :D ALLEZ!!!

Nagyovafan
09-29-2012, 07:58 AM
I feel like he can take Gasquet or Nieminen if he's playing at this level. ALLEZ GILLES ET BONNE NUIT!

GilleSimonAddict
09-29-2012, 07:59 AM
How fitting that it ends with a challenge.

Gillouthe best
09-29-2012, 08:01 AM
He wins :woohoo: , 6-4 6-4, really convincing performance, everything was working, the serve, BH, FH..., 5-1 H2H vs Tipsy, he makes him his pidgeon, will play him again on Tokyo R1. 13th ATP final :yeah:, also third Top-10 win of the season.

mike s.
09-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Gilles was on fire today, congrats :worship:

GilleSimonAddict
09-29-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm very impressed. Gilles maintained the opening break of serve in the 1st set all the way through and that's not easy to do because you've got so many games to hold to go still until the set is over. And then he didn't falter at all when he served for the match.

I'm telling you, Gilles has a look of focus that is back that I haven't seen for a while now and I think he really is determined to win this tournament for Tulasne. I don't think anything less will do in his eyes to end the longtime collaboration between the two.

lalaland
09-29-2012, 08:02 AM
I love it. He's great today. He's so sure of himself the moment the match start, didn't get frustrated at any moment, didn't get nervous at crucial time. 2 Aces to close out the match. Vintage Gilles, really!

I'm so happy now. This match is so important. For one thing, he earned himself a seeding in Shanghai if I have not miscalculated the points. And for another, he earned a spot in the final where he will have a chance to thank Tutu in public even win or lose, Tutu deserves that. Congrats Gilles, great performance. Allez Gilles, good luck in Final.

GilleSimonAddict
09-29-2012, 08:10 AM
We may be looking at an all French final. I would say Richard is the heavy favorite to beat Jarkko and if he does, then that will be the true test for Simon because as we all know he is 0-5 H2H against him on tour level matches. He will have to do what he's never been able to do before outside of exhibition matches.

mike s.
09-29-2012, 08:16 AM
We may be looking at an all French final. I would say Richard is the heavy favorite to beat Jarkko and if he does, then that will be the true test for Simon because as we all know he is 0-5 H2H against him on tour level matches. He will have to do what he's never been able to do before outside of exhibition matches.

If he plays the way he did today he can do it. Other than the Nadal match at Monte Carlo I think this might be his best match of the year.

lalaland
09-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Tokyo's draw is out. Gilles is not seeded, and his first round opponent...Janko Tipsevaric :lol:. Tipsy's not gonna be too happy

Can't say I'm too happy either. Surely he plays great against Tipsy most of the time. But he could have gotten an easier opponent so it won't take up too much energy. Then again, when you are not seeded, you have to be lucky to have easy 1st round opponent. He could have gotten Murray, instead Gael got Andy 1st round.

lalaland
09-29-2012, 08:24 AM
He will have to do what he's never been able to do before outside of exhibition matches.

He did beat Richie once in Challenger ;). That's Sunrise 2010.

GilleSimonAddict
09-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Un freakin believable. Jarrko was just two points away from being up a set and 5-1 over Gasquet and he literally proceeded to choke it all away for 5 straight games and now they are tied a set a piece. I'm pretty sure Gasquet is going to win this now unfortunately for Gilles.

MsTree
09-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Gillou is a monster in finals! Don't fret! :hug:

Gillouthe best
09-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Allez Gilles against Gasquet ! Richard is a bad match-up for him, but Gilles is playing so well and plays well on finals, so IMO is 50/50.

misty1
09-29-2012, 12:08 PM
great win gilles! now get the title

Nagyovafan
09-30-2012, 03:25 AM
Anyone else notice that Gilles' first round in Tokyo is Janko Tipsarevic? BEEN THERE DONE THAT

MsTree
09-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Here we go.... ALLEZ GILLES!!! :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Gillouthe best
09-30-2012, 08:25 AM
He starts breaking but gets broken :sad:

Gillouthe best
09-30-2012, 08:37 AM
2-4 down, Gasquet is playing so good right now, much better than all the week.

GilleSimonAddict
09-30-2012, 08:40 AM
I knew this was going to happen. That's why I was so pissed when Jarkko blew his overwhelmingly huge lead over Gasquet. Two points from having him out of the tournament and a non issue but he choked and now this is the result.

Gillouthe best
09-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Gilles is playing so bad right now, UE's all over the place, 2-5 0-30.

MsTree
09-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Hope Gillou's not going to wait until Gasquet chokes :lol:

Gillouthe best
09-30-2012, 08:50 AM
He can't win a point :banghead: , please Gilles!

Gillouthe best
09-30-2012, 08:54 AM
Key hold for Gilles, keep fighting!

GilleSimonAddict
09-30-2012, 08:56 AM
It just seems so hopeless for Gilles when it comes to matching up against Gasquet. Gasquet just knows how to play Gilles the way Gilles knows how to play Monfils. He throws in all those off speed slices to not give Gilles any rhythm and is just too explosive off of his ground strokes for Gilles to handle.

Gillouthe best
09-30-2012, 08:57 AM
4 straight games which Gilles doesn't win a point on Richard's serve.

Gillouthe best
09-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Richie is defending better than Gilles :lol:

Gillouthe best
09-30-2012, 09:02 AM
6-2 3-1 down, I think he called for medical assistance.

GilleSimonAddict
09-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Whelp, Basically Gilles is just outmatched when it comes to Gasquet. I mean what else can one really say. He's 0-5 and now about to be 0-6 against him. He just has no answers for Gasquet's game. Basically Gasquet is just having his way with him. It pains me to say it but it's true.

Gillouthe best
09-30-2012, 09:09 AM
He showed a bit of a fight here, but not enough. It seems like he has some knee or tigh problems.

GilleSimonAddict
09-30-2012, 09:12 AM
I love seeing all of the Simon signs here though. At least these people have good taste in Frenchies. :)

GilleSimonAddict
09-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Such a crappy way to end an otherwise good tournament for Gilles. Thanks a lot Richard. :mad: :sad:

Gillouthe best
09-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Well, that's it, 2-6 1-6, not much to say, crappy match and even worse he seemed a bit injured at the end. Sad way to end with Tutu :tears:

lalaland
09-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Anyone still has a working stream? Mine's switch to sth else. I want to see the ceremony.

GilleSimonAddict
09-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Right here lala. It takes a few seconds to load - http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/4/134/v-453592.html

GilleSimonAddict
09-30-2012, 09:31 AM
No words for Tulasne publicly from Gilles. :shrug:

lalaland
09-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Right here lala. It takes a few seconds to load - http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/4/134/v-453592.html

Thanks. I was too slow. Missed his presentation.

GilleSimonAddict
09-30-2012, 09:37 AM
You didn't miss anything really. He just said congrats to Gasquet and he wishes that he could've played better today but he was hurting a bit and that he would probably be back next year and now he was off to Tokyo and then Shanghai. No words for Tulasne. I guess Gilles feels that is best left for private only. I would've liked to see him say thanks publicly to him.

lalaland
09-30-2012, 09:39 AM
No words for Tulasne publicly from Gilles. :shrug:

Well, I guess this is not a performance that's good enough to cap their collaboration. Oh well.

Hopefully, this whatever is bothering him won't affect his next week. Richard played really well, but Gilles played awful, which in a final is very unusual for him.

MsTree
09-30-2012, 11:20 AM
I had to go out at 4-1 to cheer on a pal doing our local marathon - have to say I fully expected Gillou to turn it around by the time I got back! Oops! :lol:

BlueLighthouse
09-30-2012, 06:45 PM
I love seeing all of the Simon signs here though. At least these people have good taste in Frenchies. :)

Gilles is overwhelmingly favorite here in Thailand Open, even more so than Murray last year. Mostly because he smiles all the time and you know we love that, he participated in whatever fan experiences got thrown at him (with smile hehe) ;) and gives full attention to fan when it comes to photo or autographs. Some players just didn't deal with fan that well, some ran away in a hurry or some didn't even bother.

lalaland
09-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Gilles is overwhelmingly favorite here in Thailand Open, even more so than Murray last year. Mostly because he smiles all the time and you know we love that, he participated in whatever fan experiences got thrown at him (with smile hehe) ;) and gives full attention to fan when it comes to photo or autographs. Some players just didn't deal with fan that well, some ran away in a hurry or some didn't even bother.

Yes, loves his smile.
Look at that smile even when he lost, he looks great.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/63BC88E44E194B6694D57E1F9E849F38.ashx
(On the other hand, Richie looks 10 years old than his age. But he won, so it's all good.)

L'Equipe said his right knee is troubling him :(. Hopefully it's not a lingering problem, not that knee please. He's looking at another tough first round match against Tipsy in 2-3 days. My hope for him for the rest of the season is to get back to Top 15. He's at 16 in the race but about 210 pts less than the 15th player. I must say, it's been a less satisfying season and not being able to stay in Top 15 will be a big disappointment IMO. On the other hand, I saw some good changes in his game, and when he's completely healthy, we got to see how good he can be (ie. Monte Carlo). Now that he's officially going solo, we'll see how that will change his result (finger crossed for a positive change). He really really needs to figure out a way to stay healthy though.

Anyway, good luck in Tokyo. Allez Gilles.

mike s.
09-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Yes, loves his smile.
Look at that smile even when he lost, he looks great.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/63BC88E44E194B6694D57E1F9E849F38.ashx
(On the other hand, Richie looks 10 years old than his age. But he won, so it's all good.)

L'Equipe said his right knee is troubling him :(. Hopefully it's not a lingering problem, not that knee please. He's looking at another tough first round match against Tipsy in 2-3 days. My hope for him for the rest of the season is to get back to Top 15. He's at 16 in the race but about 210 pts less than the 15th player. I must say, it's been a less satisfying season and not being able to stay in Top 15 will be a big disappointment IMO. On the other hand, I saw some good changes in his game, and when he's completely healthy, we got to see how good he can be (ie. Monte Carlo). Now that he's officially going solo, we'll see how that will change his result (finger crossed for a positive change). He really really needs to figure out a way to stay healthy though.

Anyway, good luck in Tokyo. Allez Gilles.

Yeah, I think unfortunately his body is injury prone for some reason and he'll have to deal with never being fully healthy. Good week overall though. It will be tough next week but if his knee feels better then he should do well.

lalaland
10-01-2012, 05:44 AM
From L'Equipe the paper:

Gasquet thaï sa route

La voie du Masters passait peut-être par ce septième titre de Richard Gasquet. Il est en tout cas relancé dans la course pour Londres.

IL ARRIVE parfois qu’un tournoi se gagne avant la finale. De son titre remporté à Bangkok hier, le septième de sa carrière mais le premier depuis Nice en mai 2010, Richard Gasquet ne retiendra pas grand-chose de la dernière marche. Une pure formalité face à un Gilles Simon diminué ( vi ctoire 6- 2, 6- 1, en 67 minutes) ne pèsera pas lourd dans ses souvenirs à côté des deux retournements de situation qui ont animé sa semaine thaïe. Au premier tour, il fut mené 7-5, 5-2 par Grigor Dimitrov, puis 6-3, 4-0 en demies face à Jarkko Nieminen, qui dérailla alors complètement. Gasquet avait donc eu son compte d’émotions avant le dimanche. Il ne boudait pas son plaisir d’avoir cueilli une sixième victoire face à Simon (en autant de confrontations sur le circuit principal) sans avoir eu à forcer son talent. « J’ai vu qu’il avait mal, racontaitil. Moi, j’ai essayé de jouer mon tennis, de varier, d’avancer, de bien servir, de bien préparer le point et de ne pas me jeter dans la gueule du “trop vite au filet”, parce qu’il a un bon passing. Il fallait faire gaffe. Mais c’est vrai que c’est assez incroyable d’avoir gagné ce tournoi ! »

Simon:
«Je ne m’en sors pas»
« JE ME SUIS BLESSÉ trois minutes avant le match. J’étais en train de m’échauffer avant de rentrer sur le terrain quand j’ai senti une douleur au-dessus du genou droit. Je me disais qu’en chauffant ça allait passer mais ça a été de pire en pire. Heureusement, ça n’a rien à voir avec ma blessure précédente au tendon. Mais ce qui m’énerve, c’est que je prends beaucoup de temps pour revenir d’une blessure et, du jour au lendemain, ça recommence. Après mon match contre Gaël, j’ai eu une pointe dans le dos, je n’étais pas beau à voir. On l’a soignée avec les kinés de l’ATP. Je passe trois heures par jour avec eux et, malgré ça, je ne m’en sors pas, c’est infernal. Je n’ai pas d’état de grâce. Alors que quand je suis bien, je sens que je suis pénible à battre, comme contre “Tipsa”. À cemoment-là ( après sa victoire en demi-finales contre le Serbe, 9e mondial), je pensais que ça allait être ma semaine, finalement, ç’a été la semaine de Richard. » – R. L.

Google translation:
Thai Gasquet its way

Masters went the way of perhaps the seventh title of Richard Gasquet. It is in any case revived in the race to London.

HAPPENED sometimes win a tournament before the final. Of the title he won in Bangkok yesterday, the seventh of his career but the first since May 2010 in Nice, Richard Gasquet will not hold much of the last step. A Pure Formality face a decreased Gilles Simon (victoire 6-2, 6-1 in 67 minutes) will not weigh heavily on his memories alongside two twists that animated his Thai weeks. In the first round, he was led 7-5, 5-2 by Grigor Dimitrov, then 6-3, 4-0 in the semis against Jarkko Nieminen, who then completely derailed. Gasquet had thus had his account of emotions before Sunday. It does not sulking his pleasure to have picked a sixth victory over Simon (in many confrontations on the main circuit) without having to force his talent. "I saw that he was in pain, racontaitil. I tried to play my tennis, to change, to move, to serve, to prepare the point and not throw myself into the mouth of "too fast net", because it has a good passing. We had to be careful. But it is true that it is pretty amazing to have won this tournament! '

Simon:
"I do not go out"
"I HURT MYSELF three minutes before the match. I was just getting warmed up before returning to the field when I felt a pain right above the knee. I thought that heating it would pass but it was worse. Fortunately, it has nothing to do with my previous injury to the tendon. But what annoys me is that I take a lot of time to return from injury and, overnight, it starts again. After my match against Gaël I had a spike in the back, I was not a pretty sight. He was treated with the physios ATP. I spend three hours a day with them, and despite that, I do not go out, this is hell. I do not have a state of grace. Then when I am, I feel that I am difficult to beat, as against "TIPSA." Hold at this then (after his victory in the semi-finals against the Serb, 9th World), I thought it was going to be my week end, It's been a week of Richard. "- R. L.

mike s.
10-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Gilles is second up on center court tomorrow against Tipsarevic. Allez!

lalaland
10-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Quite worry about this match, not sure what's his condition, too little turnaround time for him to get well and adjust to new condition, Tipsy already played a match here, he must be eager to avenge...

Well, good luck Gilles. Allez!

Gillouthe best
10-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Allez Gilles against Tipsarevic! For sure it will be tough, first tournament without Tutu and on a faster surface than Bangkok :scared:

mike s.
10-03-2012, 03:52 AM
Is there a stream for this?

lalaland
10-03-2012, 04:57 AM
no stream.

And as usual, he's been crap in set 2, hardly winning any point in 3 games. Got broken of course.

Gillouthe best
10-03-2012, 05:38 AM
Tipsa wins the set after a really long game in which Gilles wasted 5 BP's :mad:

GilleSimonAddict
10-03-2012, 05:38 AM
Uuuuh, that game was killing me. Set point, break point, set point, break point. Tipsy finally got it unfortunately with an ace. Now it's a set a piece. C'mon Gilles. Right the ship and take this third set. :cheerleader:

Gillouthe best
10-03-2012, 05:43 AM
Broken :sad: , I think he's done now.

Gillouthe best
10-03-2012, 05:52 AM
Can't believe this, Tipsa saves 3 more BP's :banghead:

GilleSimonAddict
10-03-2012, 06:02 AM
Man again with the back and forth. This is brutal. Of all the matches to not have a stream to watch, why did it have to be this one? I'm dying here.

Edit: Oh yay, Gilles just broke back!

GilleSimonAddict
10-03-2012, 06:06 AM
:facepalm: Oh my God. 3 more break points for Tipsy again and he breaks on the 2nd one. I give up. I may have to just check back later. This is too excruciating.

GilleSimonAddict
10-03-2012, 06:15 AM
So long Gilles. :sad:

lalaland
10-03-2012, 06:24 AM
Oh well, he tried. This draw sucks.
Rest and pray for a good draw in Shanghai, I guess. At least he'll be seeded there so he won't get a Top 10 in first round.

GilleSimonAddict
10-03-2012, 06:25 AM
Tipsy about to get his first ever hard court win over Gilles. I wonder if his knee is still acting up or if it's just one of those days. Either way, first match without Tulasne hasn't proven fruitful.

Gilloulou
10-03-2012, 07:58 AM
i'm willing to be his new coach :]]

mike s.
10-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Gilles :sad:

I wish I could have seen the match to know what was up. Hopefully, he was just tired and wasn't used to the conditions. At least now he can prepare properly for the Masters event where he will be seeded.

Gillouthe best
10-03-2012, 03:29 PM
L'Equipe says he was Injured on his back, shoulder and knee :eek: http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actualites/Tipsarevic-elimine-simon/317128

mike s.
10-03-2012, 05:16 PM
L'Equipe says he was Injured on his back, shoulder and knee :eek: http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actualites/Tipsarevic-elimine-simon/317128

It's almost comical how he won't rest when he's injured. I think this loss is almost a good thing so that he can have a little bit of time off to heal up for Shanghai and Paris.

lalaland
10-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Gilles doesn't need a coach, he needs 2 physio.
Well, I actually think he needs maybe a nutritionist, not entirely sure if that will helps. But I think his constant problems with his body needs a revolutionary solution, which is what? I don't know :p. Maybe he has some deficiency in something, vitamins? minerals? Okay, nevermind me, just brainstorming here with my non-exist medical knowledge. But I really do think he needs to go deeper to try to find out if he can fix it. I remember Rafter used to cramp a lot and he went to see a specialist that tested everything to find out how to fix that cramping problem. So maybe there's a specific reason for Gilles' constant problems too that is fixable?

Anyway, it's useless whatever I say here. But I'm so frustrated hearing his problems, and he's probably about 100 times more frustrated than me since he's actually having to deal with his problems.

As for losing 1st round here, oh well, at least he's not losing to a nobody. Maybe it's not a bad thing. Maybe now that he has a little more time to rest and get over the pain, maybe he'll be able to perform better in Shanghai? Not that I'm holding my breath hoping for that, just cheering myself up imagining some positive possibility.

BTW, not that we got to see what happened yesterday. But based on last week, when he was actually serving well against Tipsy, he didn't give out any break at all. Yesterday, he's back to getting constant pressure at his own serve games. That serve, is always the key.

lalaland
10-04-2012, 05:10 PM
I read L'Equipe the paper last nite, but having trouble accessing it right now, so I'll post it later if I can. But he basically said the ball was too heavy and it hurts his shoulder, so he couldn't serve after the first set.

lalaland
10-06-2012, 05:25 AM
His draw in Shanghai:

MURRAY / Bye
TOMIC / MAYER, F
DOLGOPOLOV / CHARDY
MELZER / SIMON

Well, just hope he can win a match... or 2.
Allez Gilles.

Gillouthe best
10-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Tough draw IMO, he can beat Melzer, but Dolgo/Chardy are going to be really tough, Allez!

GilleSimonAddict
10-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Wow! :eek: People often over-use the whole "tough draw" remark for Gilles, but in this case, it absolutely is. I mean if he's able to make it past the 1st and 2nd round, which he should I think anyway, his two biggest arch nemeses would more than likely make it through and await him in the 3rd (Murray) and quarterfinals (Gasquet) respectfully. And if by some miracle he was able to get past them, he'd be rewarded with a semifinal against Federer. Siiiigh.:help:

lalaland
10-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Whenever he's at the round that's supposed to draw 1 of the Top 4, he always got Murray. Just look at how many times he played Andy in the past 3 years compares to playing against Rafa/Fed/Nole. Not saying he can beat the other 3, but he has better chance of getting a win by catching them on a bad day or sth. Against Andy, there is almost no chance. Andy can have a bad day on any given day except the day he plays Gilles, bcos he's way too confident against Gilles given the H2H. Even if Andy's in bad form, he will be able to play well against Gilles bcos of that psychological edge. So anyway, it's just Gilles' luck that he draws Murray yet again in R16. I don't see him pasting Andy in any tournament, sorry, but just being realistic. And in shanghai, I'll be happy if he makes it to R3. Who knows what form Gilles' in. Melzer's form is as unpredictable so I think Gilles does have a good chance in the first round if his body holds up. Then the 2nd round against Chardy/Dolgo (that will be a fun match to watch). These 2 can beat anyone when they are on, except it's hard to predict when they will be on, and most of the time they aren't on. Anyway, I think these 2 rounds could be the easiest or the hardest :lol:.

GilleSimonAddict
10-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Tomorrow's OP:

Gilles will be second up on Grandstand. The winner gets Dolgo who beat Chardy pretty easily today. Good luck Gilles. It's going to be a tough and possibly short tournament it would seem. :scared:

MsTree
10-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Oh jeez! :tape:

Allez Gilles! :cheerleader:

Gillouthe best
10-09-2012, 05:54 AM
Allez Gilles against Melzer! The austrian can play really well, but he hasn't done it lately, so hope he's fit and can win the match.

GilleSimonAddict
10-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Well done Gilles! :clap2: Dolgo is going to be a lot tougher though and he'll need to play better than he did today to beat him, but he can do it! :cheerleader:

mike s.
10-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Did anyone see the match, how'd Gilles look?

Next round will be tough but he really needs to beat players like Dolgopolov to be considered a top 15 player. He's one of the people around him in the rankings that he's fighting with for points.

GilleSimonAddict
10-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Did anyone see the match, how'd Gilles look?

Next round will be tough but he really needs to beat players like Dolgopolov to be considered a top 15 player. He's one of the people around him in the rankings that he's fighting with for points.

Yeah I saw the match. Physically, Gilles looked pretty good, and he played pretty well during the rallies, but he didn't serve particularly well. It wasn't a pace issue, just that he missed a lot of first serves. Likewise, Melzer wasn't really playing very well in the match. He made a lot of errors during the rallies and double faults and wasn't really attacking Gilles' weaker 2nd serve. Dolgo will because that's just his playing style. He is a player who is always looking to attack, so it's going to be a lot tougher for Gilles unless he starts serving a little better and is more aggressive against Dolgo's service games.

GilleSimonAddict
10-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Tomorrow's OP:

Bad news for us I think, but Gilles will be 2nd up on Union Pay Court 3.

I'm not sure if that court has a stream or not. Does anybody know? I'm thinking probably not unfortunately. Will be a hell of a match to have to miss if so.

mike s.
10-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Tomorrow's OP:

Bad news for us I think, but Gilles will be 2nd up on Union Pay Court 3.

I'm not sure if that court has a stream or not. Does anybody know? I'm thinking probably not unfortunately. Will be a hell of a match to have to miss if so.

Yeah, I don't think so either. Shanghai has the worst order of play, why do they wait until Wednesday to have all the top players play? :rolleyes: Oh well, it's probably better for my sleep habits to not have to get up around 4 am. Hopefully he can pull it off!

Gilloulou
10-10-2012, 10:13 AM
he's just racing away with it. not the right player...

GilleSimonAddict
10-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Well, I wake up to see that Gilles lost pretty routinely yet again to Dolgo.http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/46.gif Gilles what's happening to you man? :confused: He's got to find "it" again on a more consistent basis instead of just spurts here and there or his rankings going to continue to fall and it's just going to keep on getting tougher meeting better players earlier in the draws as a result.

Gilloulou
10-10-2012, 06:00 PM
didn't see the match but it was much more one-sided than the scoreline suggested, at least from following the tracker. dolgo's service games went by with a blink of an eye, really, i was turning to a different window and by the time i got back it was all over. he had 1 game in which he struggled but that's just about it. was lucky it didn't end 1 and 2 or something like that

lalaland
10-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Not being able to see the match is frustrating. Dolgo could have been on fire and nothing Gilles could have done, although I highly doubted that scenario, since Dolgo was hardly in good form lately. They probably both played mediocre and loose play at crucial points made the difference. The BP conversion stat is again very discouraging. I'm not holding my hope up for the remaining 2 tournaments. Seems like he won't be able to get back to Top 15 and most likely won't be able to hand on to 16th either (would have been good for a good seeding in AO). Oh well. There's always next year.

The thing about Gilles, he seems to always be able to turn things around when he's at the brink of totally losing hope. So let's hope it will happen again.

P.S. just read what Gilloulou wrote. So maybe Dolgo was on fire :lol:. Or Gilles was pitiful in his own play, who knows. Oh well.

soulage
10-10-2012, 06:12 PM
He was not optimistic after his win against Melzer he has pains everywhere. With all these body issues I don't know what he can hope

lalaland
10-10-2012, 06:29 PM
He was not optimistic after his win against Melzer he has pains everywhere. With all these body issues I don't know what he can hope

Thanks Soulage, for the news clip.

Well, in that case, I'm glad he lost. Can't stand seeing another lackluster performance from him against his biggest nemesis namely Murray. If he can't be healthy to play Andy, then it's better he doesn't get to play him ;).

Puschkin
10-10-2012, 06:38 PM
But why does he continue playing if he has pains everywhere?

Gilloulou
10-10-2012, 06:51 PM
more important, i'm planning a trip to the AO but this will be disastrous if he's in bad shape! tell him to get a grip on his act!

mike s.
10-10-2012, 06:58 PM

That's a question that we all ask but I guess it's because he knows it can't get worse so why not pick up a couple of points here and there. He has next week off so hopefully he'll come back rejuvenated for his last two tournaments. It's not the end of the world but it looks like he won't finish the year in the top 16.

lalaland
10-10-2012, 07:17 PM

Has he always been like that? Yes, he has. Hate to sound like a broken record again, but remember that knee? These nagging pains seem to be nowhere as serious as the knee so he plays on, as he always do. Yet, it's painful nonetheless.

I think the more important thing is that these pains he has, seems to have no specify causes, or causes that he can figure out. Muscle pains here and there, it's not like it's a tendon rapture, or a torn ligament or whatever, which need the stopage to contain damages. So resting to wait for the pain to past, but resting doesn't seem to prevent him from feeling those pains again in the next match, or next tournament.

I know what you may be thinking, or whatever that you are thinking. But I think Gilles is a very practical man, he's in Asia, he may as well just play until he loses, despite the pain.

lalaland
10-11-2012, 05:55 AM
On L'Equipe paper, post match.

Apte mais recalé
EXCELLENTE nouvelle : allé lui a, Gilles Simon a enfin pu disputer une partie sans ressentir de douleurs au bras, au dos ou au genou ! Mauvaise nouvelle : il l’a pourtant perdue, plutôt sèchement ( 6- 3, 6- 4), contre Alexandr Dolgopolov. Le tout en servant au-dessus de ses canons habituels. Mais où se situait donc le hiatus ? Au coeur même du traditionnel point fort du Français, son jeu de fond de court. « Rien à dire, “Dolgo” a été meilleur que moi, reconnut le Français. Prendre 3 et 4 reflète bien ce qui s’est passé sur le terrain. Du fond, j’ai été très mauvais. » On l’avait remarqué, mais pourquoi ? « Parce qu’ici, depuis des années, je ne parviens pas à contrôler la balle. Et comme j’ai un rapport particulier à la faute, je ne m’engage pas dans mes frappes. Lui n’a pas ce problème, il réussit, il rate, ça ne change rien dans sa tête. Moi, je devais me contenter de laisser la balle dans le court. Impossible de réussir un point gagnant. Et comme je n’ai pas été opportuniste sur les points importants, ça m’a rendu la tâche impossible. » L’avenir de Simon passe par deux étapes inéluctables : un repos de cinq ou six jours, saupoudré d’examens médicaux divers et variés ; et une reprise d ’entraînement en vue d’enchaîner Valence et Bercy. Où ? Comment ? « Ce n’est pas ça le problème, tranche-t-il. Ce qui m’inquiète, c’est de pouvoir m’entraîner à fond. Et ça, je ne le saurai qu’après avoir passé des examens. » – V. C.

It wasn't the pain, cos they are gone. He said he lost because Dolgo was better, he explains the details too.
Rest the next 5-6 days and he'll get some medical tests...then Valencia and Bercy.

These pains go as sudden as it come. I really hope that those tests he's planning to take will be able to get to the bottom of it.

Puschkin
10-11-2012, 06:09 AM
I know what you may be thinking, or whatever that you are thinking.

I am just thinking that to be competitive on the tour you have to be fully fit. It worries me when I read that players feel pain all the time or play on inflammatories for a long period. And I have never been one of those (like others on this forum, mainly on GM) who think that playing through pain is an heroic act. This does not refer to Gilles, it is more of a general comment.

lalaland
10-11-2012, 06:34 AM
I am just thinking that to be competitive on the tour you have to be fully fit.

Not that I know anything about professional athletes, but it seems to me that they are hardly 100% most of the time. Don't they always say everyone on tour is always hurting here and there, there's a lot of wear and tear in the sports. I read enough about our hockey players that they said getting 100% during season is almost impossible, but they don't stop unless something is about to fall off. Granted, in a team environment, it's harder to stop because of the peer pressure. On the other hand, in individual sports, they stop playing they earn nothing. I don't think they are trying to be heroic, it's just a matter of making a living too. I remembered reading Mannarino's itw 3 years, he suffered the same knee tendon problem as Gilles, and he also just played on. When asked why, he said, if he just stopped to wait for the problem to heal itself, it could take 2 years, and what's he gonna do with 2 years out of play? He has no choice but to play in pain. Well, not saying that's why Gilles' playing with pain, he probably has a little more choice than Adrian. Then again, Gilles seems to get those nagging pains from his neck/back every other week. He probably cannot afford to stop play every other weeks. But anyway, besides Gilles, it does seem a lot of them are doing the same thing. Almagro played with a shoulder problem for a long time this season, I don't know if he actually has that fixed yet, seeing that he can hardly win a match these days, maybe not. I think just a few players can afford to rest whenever they have any problems, Roger, out of necessity since he's not young anymore. He's the only one that comes to mind in fact. And of course he can afford to stop in term of financial concern. But even Roger has to play more this season because of his chasing the #1, I'm sure I remembered he has some losses due to some back pain too.

Puschkin
10-11-2012, 06:47 AM
But anyway, besides Gilles, it does seem a lot of them are doing the same thing.

That's why I get more and more critic about the way the ATP handles professional tennis. There are far too many tournaments.

Do we really need three tourneys in the south of France (Montpellier, Marseille and Nice) when they also have Roland Garros, Bercy and even Metz? Do we need Moscow AND St. Petersburg within a month?

I get your point about players' need to play for money and points. But here we have another problem. The system as it stands now favours the Top 8 to a huge extent with the first round byes in the Masters 1000 which makes it so hard for others to get into this group and forces them to hunt for points all over the world. I really find it remarkable how Tisparevic can play:

Bangkok, Tokio, Shanghai, Vienna, Valencia, Paris and London (likely), that's seven weeks in a row with huge time zones changes and long travels. But I am getting very :topic:, sorry for that.

lalaland
10-11-2012, 07:30 AM
That's why I get more and more critic about the way the ATP handles professional tennis. There are far too many tournaments.

I'm not saying ATP is handling things well in any ways, but more tournaments means more revenue to spread around the players. I think the small tournaments are there for the survival of the lower tiers players. Cutting the number of tournaments probably won't make the season shorter, just makes tournaments quality better as the lower ranks will have a harder time getting into tournaments.

I get your point about players' need to play for money and points. But here we have another problem. The system as it stands now favours the Top 8 to a huge extent with the first round byes in the Masters 1000 which makes it so hard for others to get into this group and forces them to hunt for points all over the world. I really find it remarkable how Tisparevic can play:

Bangkok, Tokio, Shanghai, Vienna, Valencia, Paris and London (likely), that's seven weeks in a row with huge time zones changes and long travels. But I am getting very :topic:, sorry for that.

I agree, Top 8 has byes, and they has much easier time in early rounds, so it's a double bonus for them. But I do also think they earn their privilege. The ranking system is not perfect, but I think which ever way the ranking system is set up, it will just be shifting the benefit from 1 group to another, it's never gonna be able to be completely balance. And I guess the tour do want to reward the Top 8 players, cause presumably they are the one fans come to see and the longer they stick around the better for the tournament, and the Top players get the rewards in terms of later round bigger prize money. So the ranking system helps them to stick around longer.

Tipsy probably didn't change his schedule from the past. Except in the past, he exited tournaments a lot earlier, so playing 7 consecutive weeks wasn't much a problem. This year, he's protected by the high seeding and has a lot easier time early in tournaments, so suddenly, the schedule is crazy when he managed to go deep every week. Well, very off topic indeed.

Puschkin
10-11-2012, 08:28 AM
I agree, Top 8 has byes, and they has much easier time in early rounds, so it's a double bonus for them.
It also causes the same match-ups all the time. Those ranked 13-16 will always confront one of the Top 4 which makes it horribly difficult for them to improve their rankings. In fact, you should not wish for Gilles to be ranked there. I know what I am talking about. ;)

lalaland
10-11-2012, 05:44 PM
It also causes the same match-ups all the time. Those ranked 13-16 will always confront one of the Top 4 which makes it horribly difficult for them to improve their rankings. In fact, you should not wish for Gilles to be ranked there. I know what I am talking about. ;)

Are you talking about Richard? ;)
13-16 is 100% sure they will get 1-4 in R16, 17-24 has half a chance of drawing 9-12 in R32 to take their place in next round to avoid Top 4. I suppose you can see it that way.

This year, Gilles lost R2 and R3 twice in slams, granted, he's not healthy in AO and USO, but in any case, Top 4 is not his problems, he'll be so happy to reach the stage to play the Top 4 and I wouldn't mind so much that he loses to them. And I love to see him play them (well, except Murray of course). I think he gets extra incentive to play the Top guys. It's the rounds when he's supposed to beat the lower ranked guy that he played nervous and unsure, those that ranked 15-30. So I guess in that sense, you are right. Maybe he'll be better off at 17-24 to get 9-16 in R32, he'll be the underdog and maybe then he'll play better and won't choke. Well, thanks, you just make me feel better that he slipping away from Top 16 :o.

But anyway, I don't mind the same match up every time. The opposite will be the scenario of WTA :p, and needless to say, I'm not a fan.

Puschkin
10-11-2012, 06:10 PM
but in any case, Top 4 is not his problems, he'll be so happy to reach the stage to play the Top 4 and I wouldn't mind so much that he loses to them.
I don't think you will say that if Gilles would draw Nadal in all clay tourneys.;) Really 12-16 can be a curse.

mike s.
10-11-2012, 06:42 PM
I don't think you will say that if Gilles would draw Nadal in all clay tourneys.;) Really 12-16 can be a curse.

From my point of view, I don't mind if Gilles plays Nadal even if I know he's going to lose because the matches are entertaining and Gilles usually plays well. Against Murray, it's always a mess no matter what :lol:

I understand what you're saying about the 13-16 though, it does seem kind of strange that they are locked in against 1-4. Does the number one player really need the advantage of avoiding 9-12? In my opinion, there's usually little to no difference in talent of the players between 9-16 in the rankings.

Anyway, for me it's good to hear he's not hurt. I think Dolgopolov probably presents the same problems as Murray. The slicing and no pace shots would drive Gilles crazy. Hope he avoids him in the future.

lalaland
10-11-2012, 06:57 PM

I thought he played great against Rafa in Monte Carlo, and he didn't win a set off him. Nonetheless, it was great.

If he draws Nadal in all clay tournaments, then it's bad luck. But in a non-slam clay tournament, there's only 1-16 seeds. If he's outside 16, then he could get Nadal on R1, or R2 (if there's a bye) instead of R16. So how's it better than seeding 12-16?

Gillouthe best
10-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Tipsa again on Valencia R1 :facepalm: , he can't get a more or less easy first round anymore, doesn't he?

lalaland
10-19-2012, 08:01 PM
:lol: @ R1

[1] D Ferrer (ESP) vs. Qualifier
A Ramos (ESP) vs. Qualifier
S Querrey (USA) vs. F Lopez (ESP)
[WC] J Ferrero (ESP) vs. [6] N Almagro (ESP)

[4] J Monaco (ARG) vs. [WC] L Hewitt (AUS)
Qualifier vs. P Kohlschreiber (GER)
F Verdasco (ESP) vs. [WC] T Robredo (ESP)
M Klizan (SVK) vs. [7] M Cilic (CRO)

[8] M Raonic (CAN) vs. G Muller (LUX)
A Dolgopolov (UKR) vs. T Haas (GER)
M Granollers (ESP) vs. Qualifier
G Simon (FRA) vs. [3] J Tipsarevic (SRB)

[5] J Isner (USA) vs. F Fognini (ITA)
D Goffin (BEL) vs. P Andujar (ESP)
J Melzer (AUT) vs. C Berlocq (ARG)
X Malisse (BEL) vs. [2] J Tsonga (FRA)

I think Tipsy will really wish that Gilles boosts up his ranking so they don't need to keep playing each other in R1.

Well, good luck Gilles. We know you can beat Tipsy, just don't know if you can keep yourself healthy. Hope so, only 2 tournaments to go and Bercy will be tough too as an unseed.

Gillouthe best
10-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Even if he gets past R1 and R2, QF would be a really tough match vs two bad match-ups for him like Raonic or Dolgo. I hope Tipsa wears out himself in Vienna and that Gilles is healthy.

mike s.
10-19-2012, 09:19 PM
:facepalm: I know Janko is a decent match-up for him but I really wish he'd get someone else for once.

The Prince
10-19-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm more worried about Granollers. He seems to always play his best in Valencia and beat Gilles here two years ago.

lalaland
10-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Yes, I was just thinking about Granollers' 3-1 HtoH against Gilles. But then, Granollers hasn't been playing since a retirement in Metz. He could be rusty. Either way, there's just no easy road here. I kinda wish that he chose Basel over Valencia, much easier draw, even Chardy is seeded there. But he never plays Basel, which is a faster court than Valencia. So I guess Valencia is okay, I like this tournament anyway, since it belongs to Juanqui and Ferrer, with so stunning architectual.

The Prince
10-19-2012, 10:50 PM
If he won this tournament (not impossible :p) it would surely go down as his greatest title ever, considering the draw he may have to negotiate!

Best of luck, Gillou! :)

GilleSimonAddict
10-20-2012, 03:55 AM
Tipsy again? blah! :no: Well, hopefully he feels good. When he was pain free he beat him and when he wasn't he lost.

:topic: Tough draw as well for JCF's last tournament of his ATP career. Gonna miss him. Almagro is a tough ask, but I hope he can win at least one match. It would be great if he could make it to the quarterfinals to face his good buddy and co-owner of the tournament. It would seem more appropriate for a farewell.

Either way, Good luck to both Gilles and Juan Carlos!!!! :cheerleader:

Gilloulou
10-21-2012, 09:35 PM
i like the draw, tipsy is a good match up for him, raonic, muller and dolgo - only 1 can come out of that pack, hopefully the'll eat each other up. he just needs to play free and up his game a bit, a SF is quite plausible and from there who knows. GL :]

GilleSimonAddict
10-23-2012, 04:23 AM
Today's OP:

Gilles Simon is last up on AGORA.

Gillouthe best
10-23-2012, 05:14 AM
Allez Gilles against Tipsy! Hope he's fit and can play his best.

Gillouthe best
10-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Already broken :sad:

Gillouthe best
10-23-2012, 06:53 PM
He misses two BP's, Deuce, Allez!

Gillouthe best
10-23-2012, 06:55 PM
He breaks back :yeah:

lalaland
10-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Gilles just broke again to lead 5-4, about to serve for the set, then Tipsy retired. Everyone's in tanking mode today.

mike s.
10-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Well congrats Gilles, he needs the points no matter how he gets them.

Nagyovafan
10-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Oh, wow! Allez Gilles!

GilleSimonAddict
10-23-2012, 07:37 PM
A wins a win right? :shrug: Anyway, i'm glad Gilles got through so today wasn't a total bust, because unfortunately Juanqui did not as I feared. I'm not gonna lie, I got a little teary-eyed right along with him during his comments after the match. Maybe he and Ferrer can still win the doubles though.

The Prince
10-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Getting through was the most important thing!

Now time to return to form!

misty1
10-23-2012, 08:06 PM
good job winning today gillou.Nice revenge ro the thrashing he took last time

i know its by reitrement but its a win so im happy

lalaland
10-23-2012, 08:21 PM
LOL. Losing in 3 sets in 2 out 3 format is a thrashing? Standard is high these days :lol:.
Not that anyone gets to see the match, but I think this could be a tank job from Tipsy (:secret: isn't he kinda known for retiring from matches?), still count as a win in H to H I believe, so that's good. 6-2 HtoH sounds good.

He won't get any points unless he wins 3 matches here, which is a bit of a tall task considering his next match could be Granollers and then most likely Raonic. Anyway, best of luck Gilles.

misty1
10-23-2012, 08:50 PM
LOL. Losing in 3 sets in 2 out 3 format is a thrashing? Standard is high these days :lol:.
Not that anyone gets to see the match, but I think this could be a tank job from Tipsy (:secret: isn't he kinda known for retiring from matches?), still count as a win in H to H I believe, so that's good. 6-2 HtoH sounds good.

He won't get any points unless he wins 3 matches here, which is a bit of a tall task considering his next match could be Granollers and then most likely Raonic. Anyway, best of luck Gilles.

my mistake. I somehow thought the loss he took to richard 2 and 1 was one to tipsy..i got the 2 players confused(dont ask me how):o

in any case its a little revenge for the loss to him last time

Gilloulou
10-23-2012, 11:14 PM
yay a win in 1 straight set :P on to the next!

mike s.
10-24-2012, 01:08 AM

Oh well, I didn't realize that. His record in grand slams and then missing out on points in the summer hardcourt Masters Series events have really hurt his ability to move up the rankings.

Gillouthe best
10-24-2012, 04:40 PM
He is on Juanqui's tribute on Agora, among all spanish players, Pico, Hewitt.. nice to see :yeah:

lalaland
10-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Gilles' playing Granollers tomorrow 2nd match on Agora
http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2012/573/op.pdf

I just realized that Granollers' the defending champ, I thought he won it in 2010, but he was just RU then. This really is the tournament for him.

Well, maybe Gilles can overcome the 1-3 HtoH and put up some good performance? He really hasn't has much to show for these days, esp. in those ATP500 (2 wins in 4 ATP500 so far :o).

Allez Gilles, hope you can get a W.

The Prince
10-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Just want to wish Gillou luck for tomorrow, but I really like Granollers too, so I don't mind who wins. Hope it's a nice match.

Gillouthe best
10-25-2012, 05:51 AM
Allez Gilles against Granollers! for sure it's gonna be tough, but I think he can make it.

lalaland
10-25-2012, 01:33 PM
On serve so far 4-3. They both played rather mediocre so far, and got broken once.

Allez Gilles.

Gilloulou
10-25-2012, 01:43 PM
i feel he has the upper hand on him today! come on!

Gilloulou
10-25-2012, 02:06 PM
so close...

Gilloulou
10-25-2012, 02:07 PM
yes! i can go to the gym at peace

lalaland
10-25-2012, 02:09 PM
He won a TB.
Now, please don't get broken opening the 2nd set, keep concentrating.

It's a very slow match, not so many long points, but Granollers takes a lot of time in between pts. It's making the match seemingly has no rhythm.

lalaland
10-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Goodall likes Gilles' short hair :lol:

lalaland
10-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Great, 2 DF in a game and lost his serve :rolleyes: down 1-3.

And thanks to that, Granollers picking up his game a bit too. Very quickly 1-4.

lalaland
10-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Lost 2nd set. Didn't win a single pts off Granollers' first serve, but then, Granollers really serve big when he gets his first serve in.

Well, Granollers played better in 2nd and Gilles looks nervous in 2nd. C'mon Gilles, you can win.

lalaland
10-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Okay, he's about to get broken in the 3rd now. I'm not optimistic that he can win this match.

lalaland
10-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Broken, shitty net cord :mad:. Luck abandon him too.

lalaland
10-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Sad, but I don't dare to be hopeful.

lalaland
10-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Got broken again, that's the end then. No way he can come back from 2 breaks down.

Another miss opportunity, too bad cos Valencia's draw is starting to open up. Oh well, not that I was hoping high when the draw came out anyway.

Good luck in Bercy then, Gilles.

Gillouthe best
10-25-2012, 03:27 PM
I saw the end of the match really bad volleying from Gilles :sad: , he had the chances but he was making UE's.

The Prince
10-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Granollers is just too good in Valencia it seems.

Shame for Gilles, but at least he got time on the court, ready for the last tournament of the season.

Gilloulou
10-25-2012, 03:33 PM
arghhhh, terrible

Gilloulou
10-25-2012, 03:38 PM
was he even playing the final 2 sets?

lalaland
10-25-2012, 03:38 PM
I don't think Granollers was playing spectacularly well (he played well enough, but nothing special), but he gets real calm after losing the first set and gets much better playing the key points. A lot of times he was down 0-30 and just kept hitting bomb serves to save the day. Gilles' the opposite, the turning pt is probably his first DF in the 2nd when he was still cruising on his own serve, and he DF 2 times and lost 4 straight pts to get broken, and from then on, his confidence seems to get shaken and he looks nervous, and the UEs starts raking up too, that gives Granollers more confidence.

But anyway, I don't see how he can't beat Granollers in terms of match up. Maybe the HtoH edge has some bearing in his mind, but he has plenty of chance to even the breaks in the 3rd. It's just another loss typical of this year's disappointing performance.

I don't expect nothing from Bercy, he never plays well there, a rather fast court, which is okay, I can't wait for the season to end so I can look forward for a new beginning next year. As far as I'm concerned, this year is very disappointment, the faster it's over the better.

Gilloulou
10-25-2012, 03:45 PM
agreed, can't understand why he's playing worse on probably every parameter this year and as it progressed it didn't get any better. gosh, how many times can a heart be broken

The Prince
10-25-2012, 03:46 PM
I don't think Granollers was playing spectacularly well, but he gets real calm after losing the first set and gets much better playing the key points. A lot of times he was down 0-30 and just kept hitting bomb serves to save the day. Gilles' the opposite, the turning pt is probably his first DF in the 2nd when he was still cruising on his own serve, and he DF 2 times and lost 4 straight pts to get broken, and from then on, his confidence seems to get shaken and he looks nervous, and the UEs starts raking up too, that gives Granollers more confidence.

But anyway, I don't see how he can't beat Granollers in terms of match up. Maybe the HtoH edge has some bearing in his mind, but he has plenty of chance to even the breaks in the 3rd. It's just another loss typical of this year's disappointing performance.

I don't expect nothing from Bercy, he never plays well there, a rather fast court, which is okay, I can't wait for the season to end so I can look forward for a new beginning next year. As far as I'm concerned, this year is very disappointment, the faster it's over the better.

Granollers is deceptively good. Very smart player, and mentally strong as you say.

He handles the ebbs and flows of a tennis match very calmly, and while he doesn't possess great weapons, he has enough variety and firepower to get past a lot of guys.

There's no question that Gillou would win this match-up more often if he played very focused tennis. Too much aimless hitting won't get the job done against a good tactician like Marcel.

GilleSimonAddict
10-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Very disappointing display from Gilles. I don't know what else to say really. :shrug: I mean let's be honest here. No conviction in his shots. No confidence whatsoever. Pushing almost every shot during the rally. No gameplan or change up/adjustment to Gran's picking up of his game. He just looks lost out there. No direction at all.

At this point, I fear for Gilles Simon's future as a top 20, hell, even a top 30 player at this point if he doesn't right the ship and get his head on straight. It feels pretty hopeless right now. The list of players who we don't want Gilles to have to face keeps growing because he can't beat them anymore. He used to only struggle against the very best.

I agree with you, but i'm not so sure that next year will be any better unfortunately. I think his best days are behind him and he's peaked unfortunately. I kept telling myself that that wasn't the case and that he had top 10 and definitely top 15 level ability still left in him, but I think it's become pretty obvious that that isn't the case anymore. I guess I just have to come to terms with that and admit it to myself now. He just doesn't have that fire and belief and no sense of fear that he had in 2008/2009. I'll keep hoping for a turnaround, but as it stands right now, it feels pretty matter of fact. :sadface::scared:

lalaland
10-25-2012, 04:03 PM
I don't doubt that Granollers is good, I don't think it's that deceptively. Being a great double player, he obviously has great hand at the net. And he's a much better single player than said Llodra, cos Llodra can't play at the baseline much, while Granollers can and give himself time to construct the point to get to the right moment to come to the net.

Marcel did a lot of aimless hitting too to wait for the right point to strike his approach shot (that's when he wasn't hitting a big first serve and come right in), his advantage is that his first serve is a lot bigger than Gilles, and he knows Gilles won't come in. It's not like Gilles can hit thru him. At the third, Gilles came into the net more, sometimes he was drawn in by Granollers, other times, he tried doing it himself. But of course he missed quite a bit at the net too. In terms of strategy, I don't think Granollers is much better, he has the advantage of being great at the net so he only needs a good chance to hit a great approach, Gilles can't come in as much, wasn't able to hit thru him, in a sense, you can say that he has not enough weapons to beat Granollers today. But in a good day, Gilles can hit thru very good players, we've seen it before, just not today.

As for being a good tactician, I don't doubt that Granollers is. But I don't think that's why he won today, his plan is plain to see, just a matter of whether Gilles' able to stop him from executing, He didn't because there's always a ball too short in a long rally to allow him to come in. I don't want to sound like I'm not giving credit to Granollers, cos he played better than Gilles that's much obvious.

Gilloulou
10-25-2012, 04:20 PM
i've seen him a few times this year, including the first set today, there's just no sting to his shots anymore. if the play is mediocre he's satisfied with it and just rarely seem to able to pick up his level. if the other player starts hitting better, you get the feel he has nothing to offer as a strike back - pretty fatal for someone who is considered a counter-attacker.

i remember the match at RG against wawrinka, it was a too good example of the this season looked. seemingly he had the match but could not bare to up his game a fraction when it mattered, and when the opponent did - he was left blemish and out of sorts. as if the tennis game progressed and left him behind. at past times, he could do a lot of damage and unsettle his opponents. today, he's just content hitting back the ball, most of the time not even deep enough and certainly not strong to do any damage. and when you do that but still unable to sting using the others' shots, you're basically counting on luck. at today's game that's not even worth a top 20. soon enough he'll join the likes of Fognini, occasionally making 3rd or 4th round, filling in the troopers of the 30 to 50 rankings, instead of producing his best years in tennis.

so who thinks he will recover and shine again? we should do a poll!

lalaland
10-25-2012, 04:32 PM
At this point, I fear for Gilles Simon's future as a top 20, hell, even a top 30 player at this point if he doesn't right the ship and get his head on straight. It feels pretty hopeless right now. The list of players who we don't want Gilles to have to face keeps growing because he can't beat them anymore. He used to only struggle against the very best.

I agree with you, but i'm not so sure that next year will be any better unfortunately. I think his best days are behind him and he's peaked unfortunately. I kept telling myself that that wasn't the case and that he had top 10 and definitely top 15 level ability still left in him, but I think it's become pretty obvious that that isn't the case anymore. I guess I just have to come to terms with that and admit it to myself now. He just doesn't have that fire and belief and no sense of fear that he had in 2008/2009. I'll keep hoping for a turnaround, but as it stands right now, it feels pretty matter of fact. :sadface::scared:

Well, if I'm not throwing my towel yet, that's not because I'm in denial. ;)
He could have peaked already, that I agree, doesn't mean that now is only downhill. I mean, thank goodness that he was at the highest 6 in the world, that gives him a lot of room to suck and still be at Top 20. And to me, that's where he belongs now and I'm content with that. If he doesn't go back to Top 10, to me he's not a failure from now on. I think Top 20 is not bad. And I think he can suck and still beat a lot of players out there. Look at this year, he hardly has good play all year long, I can only consider Monte Carlo as a very good tournament for him, other times, he's playing 1 good match and 1 bad. He's still in Top 20 (having said that though, he could very well lose the Top 20 spot in the last week of the year :p). But I don't know, I just don't think it's really that hard to keep himself at Top 20.

I have always believe in Gilles' ability to challenge himself. It really do seem to me that every time I'm about to lose all hope, he bounced back. I think when he gets desperate, when he feels his back is against the wall, he will pick himself up. I think his mind is set to never let himself fallen too far. You can call it blind faith but I have it on him. And I think when he really cannot put up that fight anymore, that's because his body fails him, not his mind. So I think he's really quite okay.

I mean, what he said about parting with Tutu, he said he felt stuck (at this level). He thought maybe that's all he is now. If he really thought he has reached the limit and there's no point of trying anymore, then I don't think he'll decide that he needs to change things up. To get rid of Tutu is a very hard decision, I mean, I think Tutu is much more than a coach to him. To me, it's an indication that the desire to get better is still there. How to change he doesn't know, but he's willing to try diff things in hope that he can get it right. That's always been his attitude and that still is. That just tells me that he's still the Gilles that I always believe in and as long as his desire to get better is still there, then I want to believe.

Gillouthe best
10-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Well, he's gonna be 28 soon, but his body is holding up well ( he seems to be running like in his best days IMO) and many players have been top-10 at 30 so I think there's still hope that he can reenter top-10. Don't forget he was really close in the clay season, and that despite the awful losses he's had he has shown us some glimpses of brilliance this year like in Monte-Carlo or in Bangkok till the final. Also, he played two GS half-injured ( AO + USO) and he missed Cincy + played injured in Toronto, where he could have got points. His best years are running out though, so I think 2013 should be one of his last chances to do sthng big. Just hope he plays well in Bercy, but that's too much to ask for as he is always a mess there. And the last thing, atm things without Tutu ain't going well [ R1 + R2 + R2] so if things keep going like this it wouldn't be a bad idea to get him back or another coach.

lalaland
10-25-2012, 04:57 PM
i've seen him a few times this year, including the first set today, there's just no sting to his shots anymore. if the play is mediocre he's satisfied with it and just rarely seem to able to pick up his level. if the other player starts hitting better, you get the feel he has nothing to offer as a strike back - pretty fatal for someone who is considered a counter-attacker.
Well, you can say that. I know the good plays are few and far in between, but they are still there. Is John Isner a much better player? His ranking is only there because of a really good spring hard court swing in the States. In Top 20, there's not a lot of players that are consistently great. They shone in 2-3 tournaments good enough to keep them afloat. Gilles is no different. Yes, he's mediocre 3/4 of the season, so are most of them. Really, I'm thinking these days, being at Top 20 is not that hard, you only need a few good tournaments here and there. And if you are more consistent then a few good tournaments, you are there at Top 10, that would be Tipsy. And no disrespect to him even if I don't like him, but I think he put up consistency this year when he was never consistent before, hence deserving his Top 10.

i remember the match at RG against wawrinka, it was a too good example of the this season looked. seemingly he had the match but could not bare to up his game a fraction when it mattered, and when the opponent did - he was left blemish and out of sorts. as if the tennis game progressed and left him behind. at past times, he could do a lot of damage and unsettle his opponents. today, he's just content hitting back the ball, most of the time not even deep enough and certainly not strong to do any damage. and when you do that but still unable to sting using the others' shots, you're basically counting on luck. at today's game that's not even worth a top 20. soon enough he'll join the likes of Fognini, occasionally making 3rd or 4th round, filling in the troopers of the 30 to 50 rankings, instead of producing his best years in tennis.
No excuse in the Wawrinka match, it's his own damn fault that he lost. But is that match his typical match that we should assume he always play like that? If so, then of course he doesn't deserve anything. If he kept losing matches playing like that Wawa match, I think he'll get the clue and retire himself. He said it himself that there's a lot to regrets in that loss, and if he only regrets but learn nothing from it, then I agree, he's not worth a Top 20. And if you are basing this match to predict that's how he's going to play from now on, then I guess there's really no point of following. I mean, I don't know. I think his slam losses are pretty shameful this year, but I'm not going to think that's how he will play from now on. I prefer remembering the Tipsy match in MC and Bangkok, knowing that he can turn up and play great too.

so who thinks he will recover and shine again? we should do a poll!
Yes, let's do a poll.

Should I count you in as a NO?

So 1 No (you), 1 Yes (me).

GilleSimonAddict
10-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Well, if I'm not throwing my towel yet, that's not because I'm in denial. ;)
He could have peaked already, that I agree, doesn't mean that now is only downhill. I mean, thank goodness that he was at the highest 6 in the world, that gives him a lot of room to suck and still be at Top 20. And to me, that's where he belongs now and I'm content with that. If he doesn't go back to Top 10, to me he's not a failure from now on. I think Top 20 is not bad. And I think he can suck and still beat a lot of players out there. Look at this year, he hardly has good play all year long, I can only consider Monte Carlo as a very good tournament for him, other times, he's playing 1 good match and 1 bad. He's still in Top 20 (having said that though, he could very well lose the Top 20 spot in the last week of the year :p). But I don't know, I just don't think it's really that hard to keep himself at Top 20.

I have always believe in Gilles' ability to challenge himself. It really do seem to me that every time I'm about to lose all hope, he bounced back. I think when he gets desperate, when he feels his back is against the wall, he will pick himself up. I think his mind is set to never let himself fallen too far. You can call it blind faith but I have it on him. And I think when he really cannot put up that fight anymore, that's because his body fails him, not his mind. So I think he's really quite okay.

I mean, what he said about parting with Tutu, he said he felt stuck (at this level). He thought maybe that's all he is now. If he really thought he has reached the limit and there's no point of trying anymore, then I don't think he'll decide that he needs to change things up. To get rid of Tutu is a very hard decision, I mean, I think Tutu is much more than a coach to him. To me, it's an indication that the desire to get better is still there. How to change he doesn't know, but he's willing to try diff things in hope that he can get it right. That's always been his attitude and that still is. That just tells me that he's still the Gilles that I always believe in and as long as his desire to get better is still there, then I want to believe.

I hope so. I really do. And I would be ok with top 20 too. It's just that for me, the way he is playing right now, I'm not sure he will even be able to manage that. If he can, great. I'm just saying that for me personally, i'm pretty much giving up on the top 10/15 at this point. His game and consistency just isn't there for it. At least not right now.

I'll keep supporting him and being a fan though till the day he does retire. Same way i've done with Safin, Roddick, and now Ferrero before him and will continue to do with Hewitt. I'm just loyal like that. But I definitely am shaken up right now. This season has been brutal for him and subsequently us.

lalaland
10-25-2012, 05:35 PM
It's just that for me, the way he is playing right now, I'm not sure he will even be able to manage that. If he can, great. I'm just saying that for me personally, i'm pretty much giving up on the top 10/15 at this point. His game and consistency just isn't there for it. At least not right now.

The fact that he is not consistent, that means he's not doing the right things all the time, otherwise, he'll be winning a lot more. I mean, watching him the end of last year and you'd think he's done and dusted, wouldn't you (he was bagelled by Monaco, FFS)? To me, this is happening again. Surely, there's more uncertainties this year, he has no coach, he's older than last year, his kid's getting older, his priority could change...And the very bad ending last year, in a way continued this year too, hence a very mediocre year. I don't know, I think give me another 3 mths of sucky play next year then I'll probably begin to lose hope.

I know there's no point of knowing the potential when you can't perform to that potential high level. But when you see that brilliance once in awhile, you know it's still there and you know he can still produce it once in awhile. That's why I don't even think we are at the territory of giving up. I mean, it's too early to even talk about giving up, to me anyway.

I'll keep supporting him and being a fan though till the day he does retire. Same way i've done with Safin, Roddick, and now Ferrero before him and will continue to do with Hewitt. I'm just loyal like that. But I definitely am shaken up right now. This season has been brutal for him and subsequently us.

I'm not sure how my support will be like. I'm loyal too, I thought. But Ferrero didn't really play that much after 2005 because of illness and injuries and I got really jaded with tennis for awhile after that. Until I become a Gilles fan that I get back to my diehard way. Now I can't say I'm a proud Ferrero fan since I felt I've let him down :sad:, and he retired and I really don't feel much, that makes me sad. I hope I will support Gilles until he retires but I can't be sure. I just know that for now, my support is as strong as ever and it will take quite a bit of discouragements before I will jump off his wagon. But what I feel about Gilles is quite different from Juanqui. Ferrero is a champion, #1 in the world and won a slam. Gilles is no comparison to him, but Gilles is such a smart guy that I think once he retires from tennis, his new life will be even greater than this, I keep thinking that he will be in politics or sth. :lol:, I'm so off-topic now. But what I want to say is that I got a feeling that I will even follow Gilles after he retires, cos he is meant for something great, even greater than a tennis champ, I feel.

The Prince
10-25-2012, 05:41 PM
I think Gillou will return to the 9-16 bracket in 2013. That's where I feel he belongs. And he should be able to do it, of he's healthy for most of the season.

Gilloulou
10-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Yes, let's do a poll.

Should I count you in as a NO?

So 1 No (you), 1 Yes (me).

hehe, i'm a die hard optimistic, so don't assume too easily :] i vote for yes :]

lalaland
10-25-2012, 06:42 PM
hehe, i'm a die hard optimistic, so don't assume too easily :] i vote for yes :]

LOL. Your doomday scenario of Gilles joining the Fognini ranks had me thinking...nevermind :lol:

2 for Yes. 100% ;)

Gillouthe best
10-26-2012, 05:29 PM
The horrible luck continues, R1 vs Baghdatis and R2 vs Federer on Paris :lol: , just hope he wins vs Baggy.

His section:

(1) Federer vs Bye
Simon vs Baghdatis
Paire vs Andujar
(15) Nishikori vs Bye

mike s.
10-27-2012, 02:57 AM
Everyone's making me very depressed in here, it's only Valencia guys ;). He definitely seems worn down but that's understandable considering all the injury problems this year. Hopefully he can get healthy in the off season and find a coaching situation that works for him. He just needs to be a little more aggressive in certain moments and he'll be fine.

lalaland
10-27-2012, 04:35 AM
:lol:
I probably don't mind if he loses to Baggy. I mean, he's pretty much in the same form as last year this time, and considered that he was bageled by Monaco in Bercy last year, not sure if I want to see how he fares against Fed on a super fast surface like Bercy :p.

Gilloulou
10-28-2012, 10:03 AM
just to think that 4 years ago he beat Fed on a surface like that. anyway, might as well finish the year with a loss to a world no. 1 - if, and a big if, he wins first round.

btw, anyone knows which preparation tourney he signed for before AO 2013?

lalaland
10-28-2012, 06:17 PM
My bad, actually, to think about it, I want him to win the first match. He's at 18 in the Race now, Kohli is 45 pts behind him, Nishikori is 65. Haas is not in Paris, and those behind Haas will need SF to catch him. So I think he's quite safe to stay in Top 20. But if he wins a match, he'll be able to secure that for sure. So that first match is important too. So let's win it Gilles. Fingers crossed. Baggy leads 2-1 HtoH.

He plays Baggy tomorrow on Center Court, not before 7:30pm. Allez Gilles.

Gillouthe best
10-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Allez Gilles against Baghdatis, he needs to win here like lala says to keep a decent ranking.

lalaland
10-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Fed withdrew.

Damnit, so now I can't relax, I want him to win first match badly then. And now the draw opens up, he probably will lose very early :p.

Alright, c'mon Gilles, it's Paris, you try your hardest, ok? Allez!

Gillouthe best
10-29-2012, 07:05 PM
He broke Baggy but got broken back :mad: , 3-2 ahead, Allez!

Gillouthe best
10-29-2012, 07:33 PM
He wins the first 7-5 :), Gilles is playing well IMO.

Gillouthe best
10-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Key hold here, 7-5 4-1 up, Baggy serving.

Gillouthe best
10-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Solid win, 25 W 20 UE, 13/15 on the net, 7/5 6/1 :yeah: , I think the surface actually suits him if he plays more or less agressive. With this win and Kohli loss he has virtually guaranteed a #19 finish, and he has a winnable match next vs Hanescu.

mike s.
10-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Congrats Gilles, I'm stuck at home because of Sandy so it was nice to be able to watch him win. Good performance today, he was aggressive when he needed to be.

lalaland
10-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Great, he won.

Didn't get to see much of the match, but based on the state, he did well. Next round is LL Hanescu, he should not have much problem (hopefully I don't jinx him by saying that). Allez Gilles.

GilleSimonAddict
10-29-2012, 08:05 PM
:bigclap::yippee:Much better from Gilles today. If only he could bottle how he played in the 2nd set and just use that every time from here on out, he'd be back to top 10 in no time. Anyway, at least by playing well today, he's allowed himself the opportunity to take advantage of the draw opening up and maybe being able to make a deep run. We'll see. But again, well done Gilles!!:clap2:

lalaland
10-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Congrats Gilles, I'm stuck at home because of Sandy so it was nice to be able to watch him win. Good performance today, he was aggressive when he needed to be.

Hopefully you guys get thru Sandy without much incident.

lalaland
10-29-2012, 11:06 PM
http://www.sport24.com/tennis/atp/actualites/simon-je-suis-assez-frais-mentalement-594354
Simon : «Je suis assez frais mentalement»
Par Cécile Soler, 29-10-2012

Gilles Simon a réussi une entrée en douceur dans le tournoi en disposant de Marcos Baghdatis 7-5, 6-1. Séparé de son entraîneur Thierry Tulasne, qui assistait cependant à son match, le Niçois semble serein.

A Bercy

Dans quel état d’esprit êtes-vous arrivé à Bercy, plus pour vous faire plaisir ou gagner quelques points au classement ?
Gilles Simon : Ni l'un ni l'autre. Je suis assez frais mentalement pour la fin de saison. J'ai eu l'impression de ne pas pouvoir jouer au maximum assez souvent, et là j'ai l'impression que je peux le faire, je suis content de pouvoir jouer. S'il y avait un tournoi la semaine prochaine, je serais très content d'y aller aussi. Normalement j'ai plutôt une lassitude, mais là grâce au changement que j'ai fait ces derniers temps, je vais peut-être repartir sur quelque chose de plus nouveau ; je me sens avec beaucoup d'envies et j'aimerais seulement ne pas avoir de pépins physiques sur ce tournoi, aller le plus loin possible et perdre contre un mec qui sera plus fort.

Gilles, vous avez évité d’affronter Federer au prochain tour, est-ce un soulagement ?
Je serai très content de le jouer plus tard. Ce n'était pas une priorité de le jouer en deuxième tour de Bercy. C'est une chance. On va essayer d'en profiter. Ce sera face à Victor que je connais bien depuis longtemps. Je sais à quoi m'attendre.

Thierry Tuslane a regardé votre match, cela vous a-t-il fait plaisir ?
Oui, très. Il n'y a aucun problème avec Thierry. J'étais très content qu'il soit là.

Comment vivez-vous le fait d’être en solo sur le circuit ?
Je le fais parce que je sens que cela va m'aider. J'ai besoin d'être plus calme et plus détendu sur le terrain. C'est l'impression que j'ai aujourd'hui, ce sentiment que si je suis tout seul sur le terrain, pouvoir faire mes choix et prendre mes décisions, c'est plus facile de rester concentré sur mon match, de ne pas me disperser à regarder de droite à gauche.

Concrètement, comment vous débrouillez-vous?
C'est bizarre j'ai l'impression que tout le monde pense que les joueurs ont absolument besoin du coach pour réserver le terrain d'entraînement, trouver le partenaire, c'est quelque chose que j'ai fait quand j'avais 16, 17, 18 ans, je partais seul en tournoi ; ils étaient moins bien organisés que celui-là et il fallait se démerder. Et là, je n'ai pas l'impression d'être perdu. Je connais tout le monde. Beaucoup de joueurs me demandent de jouer, que ce soit pour gérer les terrains d'entraînement, gérer mes matchs, je crois que je commence à y arriver.

Tutu was there watching his match. :)

--------------------------------

This is another one article, he mentions very briefly his recent problem...

http://sport.francetv.fr/tennis/atpwta/163998-simon-avec-entrain?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+francetv-sports%2Ftennis+%28Sport+France+T%C3%A9l%C3%A9visi ons+%7C+Tennis%29

Pour son entrée en matière dans le BNP Paribas Masters de Bercy, Gilles Simon a réalisé une démonstration rassurante. Très en jambes, il a totalement dominé Marcos Baghdatis, qui a baissé pavillon rapidement, 7-5, 6-1 en 1h16 de jeu. Le Français se voit offrir un petit boulevard à Paris-Bercy, puisqu'au 2e tour, il affrontera le Roumain Victor Hanescu, remplaçant de Roger Federer forfait.

Jamais Gilles Simon n'a atteint les quarts de finale à Bercy. Cela pourrait se produire cette année. Car en plus de bénéficier du forfait de Roger Federer (N.1), qu'il aurait dû croiser dès le 2e tour, il affiche une forme rayonnante. Finaliste à Bangkok, il n'avait pourtant pas fait le plein de confiance dans les semaines suivantes, que ce soit à Tokyo, Shanghaï et Valence, où il n'avait jamais été capable de gagner deux matches de suite. A Paris, il n'a enregistré qu'un succès pour le moment. Mais il a été acquis de fort belle manière contre Marcos Baghdatis. "Ca va bien physiquement", se réjouissait-il à l'issue de son match. "Je vais essayer d'en profiter", ajoutait-il, pointant ses problèmes récurrents: "C'est plus un déséquilibre général dans la région du bassin. C'est différent des blessures au genou ou à la nuque que j'ai eues. Il n'y a pas de réel problème, mais je vieillis (sourire). Il faut remettre ça en place."

Adroit et efficace à la volée

Demi-finaliste à Tokyo et Stockholm, vaincu au 3e tour à Shanghaï, le Chypriote semblait retrouver le chemin de l'efficacité ces dernières semaines, jusqu'à son abandon en Suède au 3e set contre Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. Pour ce premier match de la session nocturne de Bercy, il a eu besoin du kiné après seulement cinq jeux, pour manipuler son dos. A ce moment-là, le 32e mondial avait comblé son break de retard concédé juste avant (3-1), et la manipulation ne l'empêchait pas d'égaliser à (3-3). Les deux hommes restaient d'ailleurs au coude à coude, le 20e mondial passant à côté de deux balles de break au huitième jeu. Affichant un jeu ambitieux vers le filet, Simon parvenait tout de même à s'emparer une nouvelle fois de l'engagement adverse, grâce à un passing-shot en deux temps, qui lui offrait par la même occasion la manche (7-5) après 51 minutes de jeu.

Le deuxième set se révélait beaucoup plus à sens unique. Gilles Simon, sous les yeux de son ancien entraîneur, Thierry Tulasne, accentuait son jeu offensif, coupant les trajectoires et venant au filet très régulièrement pour imposer une grosse pression. Et cela marchait. Non seulement il était très talentueux à la volée (13 points marqués sur ses 15 montées dans le match), mais en plus Baghdatis commettait de plus en plus de fautes. Au quatrième jeu, il débutait avec une formidable volée haute de revers amortie, et finissait par un long rallye de fond de court au terme duquel son rival commettait l'erreur et lui offrait le break (3-1). La machine était lancée, elle ne pouvait plus s'arrêter. Il lui fallait néanmoins sauver deux balles de break au jeu suivant, et après 25 minutes dans le deuxième set, soit deux fois moins que lors du premier acte, Gilles Simon s'imposait 7-5, 6-1.

Moins stressé en solitaire

Voyageant volontairement en solitaire et sans coach, il se sent plus à l'aise: "Je le vois pas comme un break. J'avais envie de ça, de faire mes choix et prendre mes décisions, ne pas me disperser à droite et à gauche. A Shanghaï, ça m'a fait du bien car j'étais vraiment tout seul. Même quand j'ai perdu, j'étais bien sur le terrain, avec moins de stress. Il faut que je sois seul jusqu'à ce que je trouve ma façon d'être sur le terrain. Je n'ai pas l'impression d'être perdu." Et ce changement a probablement rejailli sur son état d'esprit: "Je suis assez frais mentalement pour la fin de saison, alors que d'habitude, ce n'est pas le cas. Je suis content de pouvoir jouer. Je me sens avec beaucoup d'envie. J'espère aller le plus loin possible et perdre contre quelqu'un de plus fort que moi."

Au 2e tour, au lieu de jouer Federer, c'est Victor Hanescu qu'il aura face à lui. Un Roumain, 61e mondial, qu'il n'a jamais joué sur dur, mais qu'il a battu deux fois lors de leurs trois duels. "C'est une opportunité, c'est une chance. Je préfère", glissait-il avant de plaisanter au sujet du Suisse: "Je serai très content de le jouer plus tard. Là, ce n'était pas une priorité de le jouer au 2e tour ici (rires)". S'il s'impose, cela pourrait être le Japonais Kei Nishikori, 16e mondial, qu'il n'a jamais affronté. Deux matches à sa portée pour enfin voir les quarts à Bercy.

This is the google translation of the highlighted part:
"It is a general imbalance in the pelvic region. This is different knee injuries or neck that I had . There is no real problem, but I'm getting older (smile). should put it up."
Was this the founding of those tests that he had after Asia? Not sure.

lalaland
10-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Tomorrow OOP:

COURT 1 Start 10:30 am
[Q] Igor Sijsling (NED)v [8] Janko Tipsarevic (SRB)
[9] Juan Monaco (ARG)v [Q] Grigor Dimitrov (BUL)
[LL] Victor Hanescu (ROU) v Gilles Simon (FRA)
Albert Ramos (ESP) v [11] Nicolas Almagro (ESP)
[7] Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG)v[Q] Alejandro Falla (COL)

Allez Gilles.

mike s.
10-31-2012, 03:18 PM
He won 7-5, 6-3! Nice to get those 90 points.

GilleSimonAddict
10-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Well Gilles looked a lot more relaxed on the court today. Smiling in between points and just looking like he was actually having fun out there for a change. I'm glad he was able to take advantage of Roger's withdrawal and make the most of it. Hopefully he can keep going even further. Kei Nishikori next round.

And even though it's :topic:, who saw the Djokovic upset coming? Especially after a first set bagel. Wow!:eek:

:apumpkin:Happy Halloween guys!:apumpkin:

Gillouthe best
10-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Nice for Gilles :yeah: , he ensures the #18 spot, if he beats Kei he will end at least #17.

lalaland
10-31-2012, 05:33 PM
Easy match. He has enough time to do a walkabout when serving for the first set and still won it in 2 :p.

I wonder what's Wino's role with the DC team, he's been watching matches with Clement and gangs... Okay, saying it out loud is that I like Wino and I don't mind if he becomes Gilles' coach one day.

Anyhow, focusing on tomorrow...Nishikori a very tough customer, their first meeting. Allez Gilles.

Gillouthe best
10-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Allez Gilles vs Nishikori! the japanese will be very tough for sure, it will be on Centre Court, so I will watch it on TV :woohoo:

Gillouthe best
11-01-2012, 10:53 AM
It seems like Nishikori withdrew so Gilles gets to QF, not the best way but this gives him some really useful points for the ranking, he has now ensured to end #17 the season.

lalaland
11-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Wow, a bit shock to see Gilles getting so much luck here. Kinda looking forward to him playing against Kei, so it's a little disappointed that it didn't happen. But getting thru another round easily, I'll take it. Allez!

BlueLighthouse
11-01-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm excited for Berdy - Gillou match. It's been a big while since they last met (2009). Gilles leads H2H 4-2 though it's not DC, it is Paris and Berdy has improved a lot mentally and physically but Gilles is fresher... So I'd say tight match.

Gillouthe best
11-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Apparently Gilles wasn't feeling well this morning and would have likely lost so he's glad that Nishikori pulled out. Hope his pain gets better vs Berdych :scared:

http://www.thepost.co.za/nishikori-withdraws-from-paris-masters-1.1415980

lalaland
11-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Tomorrow OOP:

Center Court starts 2pm, first match:
Simon Vs Berdych

The journalist asked a question about his neck problem, he didn't want to talk much about it cos he doesn't want his opponent to know too much...

On a entendu que Kei Nishikori avait déclaré forfait avant vous car vous aviez des problèmes de cou ?
(sourires) Je n'ai pas spécialement envie de m'attarder sur mes douleurs car je ne souhaite pas que tout le monde le sache. Je n'ai pas envie de donner trop d'informations à mon futur adversaire (Berdych). C'est vrai que je n'étais pas au top. Je me sentais bien ce matin, puis j'ai un peu coincé à l'échauffement sans signe avant-coureur. Mais à l'échauffement, je ne trouvais pas mon adversaire au top non plus. On jouait à côté et je ne l'ai pas senti très bien.

---------------------------------

This is from the paper after R2:

MERCI QUI ? Merci Roger ! Roger qui ? Federer, bien sûr. Si le futur ex-numéro 1 mondial n’avait pas rendu les armes avant même de s’en servir à Paris, Gilles Simon aurait dû se le « farcir » hier. C’était prévu tel quel dans le tableau. Àla place, il a eu droit au lucky-loser Victor Hanescu, l’homme qui ne sourit que quand il se brûle. C’est ce qu’on appelle gagner au change. D’ailleurs, Simon a gagné (7-5, 6-3), malgré une crispation quand il servit à 5-3 au premier set. « Roger n’est pas venu et je ne vais pas m’en plaindre, disait notre 20e mondial. Cela dit, il reste encore du beau monde. » S’il avait hérité du « maître » , jamais Simon n’aurait été exilé, comme hier, sur la « patinoire », le court bas de plafond dit no 1. « On m’a proposé le central à 10 h 30, mais moi, à cette heure-là, je ne suis pas en état de jouer. » Lève-tard, le père Simon ? Pas du matin ? Non, rien à voir. Hier, Simon a passé trois fois moins de temps sur le terrain qu’à l’infirmerie. Mais pas de panique, c’est son pain quotidien depuis des semaines, la raison pour laquelle il arriva en conférence de presse presque deux heures après la fin de son match. « Tout va bien ! J’ai juste pas mal de soins et de mobilisation à faire avec le kiné (pour son dos et sa nuque, principalement). Un vrai grand-père ! » Il aura dû attendre son septième Bercy pour y gagner enfin deux matches de suite (*). Pour le troisième, il faudra mettre un ippon au Japonais Kei Nishikori, que Simon n’a encore jamais testé en vrai.

He was offered to play the first match on Center Court for R2 at 10:30am but he declined. They asked if it's bcos he's a late riser? He said no, it's because he has to spent 3 times more the time at the trainer than on court nowadays (so I guess it means he needs more time to warm up). He also show up at press conference 2 hrs after the match. But he said all is well, he just needs to do those things at the trainer to keep the mobility (or sth like that). He's like a grandfather now.

GilleSimonAddict
11-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Wow :eek:! This is all kind of disturbing about how much he has to maintenance his body these days. I really don't think Gilles is going to play as long as I thought he might now at this point. He'll be lucky if he reaches 30. I thought he might play to 33 or 34, but no way now if this is what he has to do day in and day out. I mean even if he wanted to, his body probably won't let him or he'll just be sick of the things he has to do in order to play or both. This sucks.:sad:

Gillouthe best
11-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Allez Gilles against Berdych! Hope he's fully fit and has chances to win, I think he can make it if he plays his best.

lalaland
11-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Wow :eek:! This is all kind of disturbing about how much he has to maintenance his body these days. I really don't think Gilles is going to play as long as I thought he might now at this point. He'll be lucky if he reaches 30. I thought he might play to 33 or 34, but no way now if this is what he has to do day in and day out. I mean even if he wanted to, his body probably won't let him or he'll just be sick of the things he has to do in order to play or both. This sucks.:sad:

My thought exactly :sad:.
Well, it is what it is, his skinny frame isn't going to endure the daily pounding much too long, I guess. As he said, at the moment, he doesn't need a coach, he needs physio (probably 24/7). We saw that, when he's completely pain free, he can play great tennis, so "tennistically" he's fine enough, if he can manage the consistency by maintaining his health, which is a big challenge from what's been happening these few seasons. Oh well. I just hope he can play to his max the rest of the week, because opportunity is knocking. This kind of opening in a ATP1000 is so rare to see. If he loses to a better opponent, then that's what it should be. But if losing because he can't play his best, then it's just sad.

lalaland
11-01-2012, 11:10 PM
This is the itw, saw it on WLT, more clear.

Gilles Simon a profité du retrait de Kei Nishikori pour se qualifier en quarts de finale du Masters 1000 de Bercy. Le Niçois est chanceux, puisqu'il aurait dû affronter Roger Federer au deuxième tour, avant que celui-ci ne déclare forfait. Gilou affrontera Tomas Berdych en quarts. En conférence de presse, l'optimisme n'était néanmoins pas tout à fait de rigueur, puisque le Français se dit plus ou moins ennuyé par un pépin physique. Mais chut, il ne veut pas en dire plus...

Vous allez jouer au Lotto ?
Oui, il faut reconnaître que c'est ma semaine !

C'est un peu étrange, non ?
C'est vrai qu'en regardant le tableau, ça ne semblait pas facile. Mais, au final, tout s'est ouvert pour moi. Ce matin, je ne me sentais pas très bien. Et puis, mon adversaire a déclaré forfait. Je vais faire en sorte de me sentir mieux demain. Pour le moment, les choses tournent bien.

Qu'est-ce que vous aviez, ce matin ? On a entendu dire que c'était votre cou. Nishikori a peut-être jeté l'éponge avant que vous ne le fassiez vous-même...
Je ne veux pas vraiment expliquer en détails mon problème. Mais c'était une bonne chose qu'il déclare forfait, parce qu'il y a des jours où vous vous sentez prêt et, aujourd'hui, pour moi, ce n'était pas le cas ! Mais quand je l'ai vu s'entraîner ce matin, je me suis dit qu'il n'avait pas l'air bien en forme. Il avait l'air un peu fatigué.

Pourquoi ne voulez-vous pas parler de votre blessure ?
Je ne veux pas donner des informations aux autres joueurs. C'est comme ça. Je ne veux pas trop en parler. Si mes adversaires savent que c'est, par exemple, la cheville qui me fait mal, ils vont me faire courir encore plus !

Vous avez l'impression de vous améliorer ? Vous êtes confiant pour l'année prochaine ?
Vous savez, il n'y a pas de raisons que mon physique m'embête jusqu'à la fin de ma vie. Je suis sûr que les choses vont mieux aller. Jusqu'à maintenant, je me sentais bien. C'est en m'entraînant ce matin que je ne me suis pas senti terrible. Je ne pouvais pas deviner que ça se passerait comme ça aujourd'hui, je me dis que ça va aller mieux.

Vous pensez au titre et à la possibilité d'améliorer votre classement ?
Non. La seule chose sur laquelle je veux être concentré, c'est sur mon match de demain. J'ai arrêté de regarder mon classement.

-------------------------------

Google translated:

Gilles Simon took advantage of the withdrawal of Kei Nishikori to qualify for the quarterfinals of the 1000 Masters Bercy. The Nice is lucky, since he should have to face Roger Federer in the second round, before it is forfeit. Gilou face Tomas Berdych in the quarterfinals. At a press conference, optimism was still not quite rigorous, since the French are more or less says annoyed by a physical seed. But shhh, he does not want to say more ...

You play the Lotto?
Yes, we must recognize that it is my week!

It's a bit strange, no?
It is true that looking at the chart, it does not seem easy. But in the end, everything is open for me. This morning I was not feeling very well. And my opponent has forfeited. I'm going to make myself feel better tomorrow. For the moment, things go well.

What you did this morning? We heard it was your neck. Nishikori may have thrown in the towel before you do that yourself ...
I do not really want to explain in detail my problem. But it was a good thing he withdraws, because there are days when you feel ready, and now, for me, this was not the case! But when I saw him train this morning, I thought he did not look in good shape. He looked a little tired.

Why do not you want to talk about your injury?
I do not want to give information to other players. It's like that. I do not want to talk too much. If my opponents know that, for example, the ankle hurts, they'll run more!

You feel like you improve? You are confident for next year?
You know, there is no reason that my physical bothers me until the end of my life. I'm sure things will go better. Until now, I felt good. This is causing me this morning that I did not feel terrible. I could not guess what it would be like this today, I think it will get better.

You think the title and the opportunity to improve your ranking?
No. The only thing I want to concentrate on my game is tomorrow. I stopped watching my ranking.

Gillouthe best
11-02-2012, 01:31 PM
He's serving like in the USO, really slowly, 2-2 right now.

Gillouthe best
11-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Got broken on the 2nd :sad: 6/4 0/2

lalaland
11-02-2012, 02:46 PM
He looks relax in attitude but his body looks stiff today, or maybe I'm just seeing thing.

It's likely to go to third set the way things been going. Hope he can win this one. Allez Gilles.

lalaland
11-02-2012, 03:05 PM
He won! Yes.

Since I said that it will go to 3, he broke back, and then broke to ahead, and then serve 3 junk serve and go down 0-40 when serving for the match, and then serve 3 great ones to save all those BPs, and then hit an ace to seal the match. Pretty cool. And Tomas was smiling big when shaking hands, I wonder what he said to Gilles :lol:.

Gillouthe best
11-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Gilles :woohoo: , unbelievable :yeah: , really solid match, he was in the verge to lose the 2nd down 0-3 15-40 but he managed. Also, what a way to save the 3 BP's at the end :rocker:

mike s.
11-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Gilles :worship: Another semi in a masters!

misty1
11-02-2012, 03:14 PM
what an amazing way to end his year! he's got a fantastic shot at the final here with janowicz/tipsarevic in the semi and if he made the final..who knows?

im so happy for him, great job today:worship:

GilleSimonAddict
11-02-2012, 03:15 PM
:yippee::woohoo::bigclap: Great stuff from Gilles. Especially the composure he showed at 0-40 down serving for the match. I haven't been that nervous during a tennis match in quite some time. I can only imagine how Gilles felt. I'm so happy that he has been able to come good from the openings in the draw for him and do himself proud in front of his crowd. He and we deserve this moment. It's been a rough season and especially rough past few months, but what a great moment this was. I hope more is still to come. Give him and us something positive to end the season on.

Marine
11-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Congrats Gillou !
Everybody of the french tennis family was here together in the box, so funny: Captain Arnaud, Dip, Seb Grosjean, Nico Escudé, Thierry Tulasne, Gachassin etc...

GilleSimonAddict
11-02-2012, 05:05 PM
I thought I would watch the Tipsy Jerzy match to scout this new kid and see what he's about and what Gilles might be up against if he were to win and it's looking pretty scary if Gilles were to have to face him.:scared: It's looking like Tipsy is going to lose. I am actually pulling for Tipsy in this match because Gilles has the winning record over him and knows what to expect with his game and how to prepare for him, but this Janowicz guy is new and very dangerous at the moment. Powerful serve and powerful ground strokes. He's a beast.

Gilles will be under so much pressure with this guy and no previous match up to draw from. He'll be eating Gilles' 2nd serves, and maybe even his 1st serves for breakfast. It might be destiny for this guy to win this title. Who knows, but i'm worried. I hope if he does win, which it looks like, that the bubble bursts when he faces Gilles.

GilleSimonAddict
11-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Whelp, Jerzy it will be. I hope Gilles can do it. This kid is powerful.

mike s.
11-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Whelp, Jerzy it will be. I hope Gilles can do it. This kid is powerful.

Agreed, I'm really nervous about this. I much preferred Tipsy as well. Does anyone know the ranking situation right now for Gilles if he loses in SF, F, or wins the title? I'm too lazy to figure it out right now.

lalaland
11-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Congrats Gillou !
Everybody of the french tennis family was here together in the box, so funny: Captain Arnaud, Dip, Seb Grosjean, Nico Escudé, Thierry Tulasne, Gachassin etc...

That's a lot of hotness in one frame :D

I thought I would watch the Tipsy Jerzy match to scout this new kid and see what he's about and what Gilles might be up against if he were to win and it's looking pretty scary if Gilles were to have to face him.:scared: It's looking like Tipsy is going to lose. I am actually pulling for Tipsy in this match because Gilles has the winning record over him and knows what to expect with his game and how to prepare for him, but this Janowicz guy is new and very dangerous at the moment. Powerful serve and powerful ground strokes. He's a beast.

Gilles will be under so much pressure with this guy and no previous match up to draw from. He'll be eating Gilles' 2nd serves, and maybe even his 1st serves for breakfast. It might be destiny for this guy to win this title. Who knows, but i'm worried. I hope if he does win, which it looks like, that the bubble bursts when he faces Gilles.

I was cheering for Tipsy too, he is a much easier opponent than a complete unknown up&comer for Gilles. Not to mention he beat Murray who plays a similar way as Gilles, just better and a bigger serve. This kid has all the momentum and no fear, lethal combination for the opponent. Oh well, maybe this isn't Gilles' week, it's Janowitz's week. Good luck anyway, Gilles. Do your best.

Gillouthe best
11-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Agreed, I'm really nervous about this. I much preferred Tipsy as well. Does anyone know the ranking situation right now for Gilles if he loses in SF, F, or wins the title? I'm too lazy to figure it out right now.

Gilles will be #16 if he loses in the SF, #13 if he loses in the final and #10 if he wins the title.

Cloudygirl
11-02-2012, 06:16 PM
come on Gilles!!

Nagyovafan
11-02-2012, 06:39 PM
I am confident in Gillou against anyone left in this tournament. He played very well today and he has the crowd's support. Love watching Gilles play in France!

The Prince
11-02-2012, 06:54 PM
I think Gillou has exactly the right kind of game to beat Janowicz rather handily. Just hope he's feeling fresh and ready.

Starting to just think about him lifting that title on Sunday. Let's hope that materialises.

GilleSimonAddict
11-02-2012, 06:58 PM
I am confident in Gillou against anyone left in this tournament. He played very well today and he has the crowd's support. Love watching Gilles play in France!

I think Gillou has exactly the right kind of game to beat Janowicz rather handily. Just hope he's feeling fresh and ready.

Starting to just think about him lifting that title on Sunday. Let's hope that materialises.

I hope you guys are right, but I don't know man.:unsure: Maybe it's just the pessimist and worry wart in me when it comes to Gilles, but did you guys see this Jerzy guy play this week? He is a beast. Huge serve and huge ground strokes, especially off of the forehand side. He was just bossing Tipsy around all over the place and eating up his serve like it was nothing and Tipsy serves way bigger than Gilles does. He looked untouchable.

And like lalaland said, Murray and Gilles play very similar games and Jerzy bossed Murray around too. He's young, powerful and has no fear because he's just starting and already knows he has nothing to lose here so he's just swinging for the fences and going all out which is a dangerous combination.

I want Gilles to win very badly, but I know just how much at risk he will be against this guy tomorrow. On paper it would seem and look like the ideal match up for any Simon fan to want for a semifinal of a masters 1000, but if you saw any of this Jerzy guy play this week, you know it will easily end up being the toughest match up Gilles will face all week. I hope i'm wrong, but I just got a bad feeling based on what I saw of Jerzy today and the roll he's been on all week. It may be destiny for him this week.:shrug:

Gillouthe best
11-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Allez Gilles against Janowicz! For sure it will be very difficult, but maybe the polish is tired and Gilles is playing great so we will see.

soulage
11-03-2012, 09:52 AM
L'equipe

Gilou roi de l’embrouille

Tactiquement parfait, Gilles Simon a encore rendu maboule Tomas Berdych (6-4, 6-4). Après Monte-Carlo,

c’est sa seconde demi-finale en Masters 1000 cette saison.

ÇA Y EST, c’est prouvé : on peut cravater Berdych en servant les trois quarts du match comme une jeune fille. On ne saurait dire si c’est trop flatteur pour la jeune fille ou si c’est à se taper la tête contre les murs pour ce pauvre Berdych, mais hier Simon a servi à 172 km/h de moyenne en première balle et à 129 km/h en seconde. Le radar afficha même plusieurs fois des vitesses folles à 111 km/h, 114 km/h… On sait bien que Simon n’est pas le sosie officiel de John Isner, mais de là à… On le voyait raide comme un piquet, faire des moulinets pour essayer de détendre un peu ses cervicales. Toujours ce vieux problème qu’il trimbale avec lui depuis des années. Il y a des matins où ça va, d’autres où c’est insupportable. Mais il se soigne. « C’est aussi pour ça que je n’ai plus de coach. En ce moment, j’ai moins besoin de Thierry (Tulasne, remercié en septembre) que d’un kiné. Je passe trois fois plus de temps à l’infirmerie que sur le terrain. Mais ça s’améliore. Je ne me sens pas mal. »

Il aurait même le droit de se sentir carrément bien. Ce n’est pas tous les jours qu’on entend Bercy crier « Gilou ! Gilou ! » Gilles Simon est en demi-finales à Bercy et il n’est plus question de parler trèfle à quatre feuilles. La chance n’a rien à voir avec ce qui s’est passé hier. Tout en timing, à coups de balles molles et de contres sournois, Simon a amené le sixième mondial pile là où il déteste aller. Petit à petit, il lui a grignoté un par un tous ses neurones disponibles. Si bien que Berdych arrosa gaiement. À la fin, il sera à la tête d’une magnifique collection de 41 fautes directes, dont 25 en revers, son coup le plus fiable.

« Berdych n’a pas de solutions tactiques contre Gilles, expliquait Thierry Tulasne, l’ancien coach, qui n’a pas loupé une miette de Simon cette semaine. Gilles le retourne beaucoup. Il lit parfaitement son service. Berdych ne le déborde pas (d’où ses cinq défaites en sept matches contre le Français), Gilles croise, croise encore et l’autre part à la faute. »

Berdych a vu E.T.

« Berdych adore quand ça joue en rythme et qu’il peut frapper au-dessus de la hanche, décryptait Arnaud Clément. La balle de Gilles l’en empêche. Elle reste basse, elle fuse et Berdych force. » « Tomas frappe très fort des deux côtés, mais il a du mal à me faire un point gagnant, disait le 20e mondial. J’arrive à bien m’appuyer sur sa balle pour le faire beaucoup travailler du fond. Parfois, j’aurais aimé engager plus. Mais ce n’était pas ce qu’il fallait faire. Je ne vais pas gagner contre Berdych en frappant plus fort que lui... »

Pour résumer, on dira que c’est la victoire d’un maître tacticien qui a des jambes de Kényan en cette fin de saison. « C’est vrai que cette année je finis très frais, confirma-t-il. Et j’ai très envie. J’ai toujours été mauvais à Bercy et ça m’embêtait parce que j’ai grandi à côté. C’est en venant à ce tournoi, quand j’étais petit, que j’ai découvert le haut niveau. »

Et le match dans tout ça ? Simon breaka à 2-2 au premier set, écarta deux balles de 4-4 grâce à un service soudain plus mordant (on vous dit qu’il est malin le bougre !) et ne fut pas perturbé plus que ça d’avoir manqué trois balles de set à 5-3. Ensuite, Berdych se fâcha. Il mena 3-0 puis disposa de trois balles de double break. Simon résista, continua sa petite cuisine et le Tchèque partit en vrille alors qu’il servait pour mener 5-2.

Une maladie du coup droit venait d’être diagnostiquée. Elle était incurable. « Le jeu de Gilles est ce qu’il est. On s’en fiche de son style, préférait sourire Berdych. Il a trop bon pour moi. Ça fait très longtemps que je ne l’avais pas vu jouer si bien. J’ai peut-être trop forcé, mais quand le gars en face ne fait jamais une faute, quand il bouge aussi vite, ça peut arriver. À 5-4 au second set, je mène 0-40 et là, il me sort trois premiers services super bien placés, presque des aces. Simon venait d’une autre planète aujourd’hui. »

En parlant de Martien, Simon va être servi tout à l’heure avec l’impayable Jerzy Janowicz, qu’il n’a vu qu’à la télé. « Je veux aller en finale, répétait hier le Niçois. Et ce sera quand même plus ouvert que contre Rafa à Monte-Carlo. » Normalement, oui.

FRÉDÉRIC BERNÈS

The Prince
11-03-2012, 10:06 AM
I hope you guys are right, but I don't know man.:unsure: Maybe it's just the pessimist and worry wart in me when it comes to Gilles, but did you guys see this Jerzy guy play this week? He is a beast. Huge serve and huge ground strokes, especially off of the forehand side. He was just bossing Tipsy around all over the place and eating up his serve like it was nothing and Tipsy serves way bigger than Gilles does. He looked untouchable.

And like lalaland said, Murray and Gilles play very similar games and Jerzy bossed Murray around too. He's young, powerful and has no fear because he's just starting and already knows he has nothing to lose here so he's just swinging for the fences and going all out which is a dangerous combination.

I want Gilles to win very badly, but I know just how much at risk he will be against this guy tomorrow. On paper it would seem and look like the ideal match up for any Simon fan to want for a semifinal of a masters 1000, but if you saw any of this Jerzy guy play this week, you know it will easily end up being the toughest match up Gilles will face all week. I hope i'm wrong, but I just got a bad feeling based on what I saw of Jerzy today and the roll he's been on all week. It may be destiny for him this week.:shrug:

I've seen Jerzy play many times before this week, and it's true, he's never played this well. There's got to be some fear from our guy, but not much.

These 'ballbashers' really struggle against Gillou as he hits quite a flat ball, and soaks up pace and pressure very well.

I suppose, in a way, there's nothing Gillou would be able to do of Janowicz keeps serving at 230km/h and taking wild swings at second servers and crucially landing them. However I think the crowd will be a big factor here, and Janowicz can't keep this level up. It is bound to drop.

I'm confident for Simon, but completely acknowledge that there's a small chance he'll be blasted into oblivion.

Gillouthe best
11-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Already broken, 2-3, Allez!

GilleSimonAddict
11-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Welp, that's probably the 1st set for Jerzy right there.

Shirogane
11-03-2012, 02:27 PM
To the French ppl – y a le match sur W9!

Jerzy's playing well, Simon not nearly serving as well as he would need to.

GilleSimonAddict
11-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Aaaaaand there's the match.

Silver.
11-03-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm very proud of Gilles this week. JJ is a beast, nice to see a new talent coming up, just a shame Gilles had to meet him.

Good end to the year, got himself a bit higher for AO draw.

mike s.
11-03-2012, 03:16 PM
I can't really be that mad, when a guy serves like that there's not much you can do. It really is just his week, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him win the finals as well. SF's at masters are rare, especially when you beat a top 10 player like Berdych so overall a good week, but it is disappointing.

lalaland
11-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Well, too good.

Bit sad that Gilles can't get use of this great opportunity. But considering what's been going on this season, a SF showing in a ATP1000 is rather good. And he got back to Top 16, will have a good enough seeding comes AO.

Janowicz literally pushing Gilles' head to hug him at the net :lol:. Gilles' such a small guy when he stands next to giant.

GilleSimonAddict
11-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Well, I wish I could say i'm surprised. It was amazing how hopeless it all felt for Gilles right from the start. I think Jerzy is going to take the whole thing. There's really no weakness in his game. He just lacks big match experience but he's getting that right now in a hurry and he's too young and green right now to be afraid of the moment.

There was really just nothing that Gilles could do. No break point chances and under too much pressure every service game because of this kid's effortless power and pretty damn good movement for his size. He's basically everything that Karlovic isn't. I look at it like this. Karlovic was the early prototype, Isner was the revised model, and Jerzy is the end result of the evolution of a big man in tennis. The perfect balance of power, movement and shot selection.

It was a great effort and run for Gilles. Nothing for him to hang his head about. It just hurts because who knows if he'll ever have an opportunity to ever get to a masters final again. Regardless, focusing on the positives to come out of this are a great finish to the year and good for his ranking too.

lalaland
11-03-2012, 04:14 PM
He was having more in road in his SF against Rafa on clay in MC than he is today. That's said a lot about the quality of Janowicz today. And when a big server is having his day, Gilles is not v. good at handling them, it put too much pressure on his own serves when he's not able to break the opponent. And Janowicz is really quite unbelievably good in this tournament, I think his win came no surprise to anyone who watched him beat Kohli/Cilic/Murray/Tipsy this week. He could very well win the whole thing tomorrow.

And in that article on L'Equipe Soulage posted, the journalist was calling Gilles' serve in QF "girl serve" bcos it's so slow, they suspected that the neck is still bothering him. I thought his body looks stiff in that QF, but he's so calm and relax and played such a great match regardless. Like I said before, Gilles' tennis is good enough to beat a lot of ppl when he is physically up to it. He said in itw that he didn't expect to have to deal with these physical issues for the rest of his life, which I take that he'll have a strategy in place to make sure he doesn't need to deal with it in a constant basis. Maybe it's wishful thinking, I just think he will figure it out eventually how to get himself healthy for a longer stretch in the season.

But anyway, if this is not a SF in a master with no Top 4 remaining, then maybe it won't be that upsetting. Remember just last week when he lost in Valencia, we were all so depressed and wondered if Gilles will ever be good again? He was great for 3 matches this week, very offensive against Baggy, ok against Hanescu but he doesn't need to be amazing to beat him anyway, and played a great match with his means against Berdych (and didn't choke when he was down 0-40 serving for the match, I was most impressed by what he did to serve that game out). Anyway, there's really a lot to cheer about this week.

I know it's probably very hard to be happy after a loss, but I'm tired of being upset after every loss, so I just wanna say something upbeat for a change :). I was not too put-off by the loss in Valencia last week, and after this week, I'm rather full of hope for the next season. If he can get a hold of his health issues, I don't see why he can't get himself back to the top. I'm very hopeful.

Allez Gilles, you did great considering. Have a great off-season playing with the kid and hang out with the family. Come back fresh and healthy next year to do something great. Looking forward to seeing you next season.

mike s.
11-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Agreed Lalaland, the other good news is he has basically nothing to defend until Indian Wells in March so he can make a push near the top 10 if he does well at the Australian Open.

aloniv
11-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Simon should be pleased that he wasn't humiliated unlike the last two years in which he was bageled by Soderling and Monaco.

lalaland
11-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Simon should be pleased that he wasn't humiliated unlike the last two years in which he was bageled by Soderling and Monaco.

:lol: yes, if his goal in this match is to not be blown away by the opponent, then he reached it with flying color ;).
He probably had this goal in USO R3, he was rather relieved that he got decent scoreline :lol:, but that's another story.

Anyhow, that's his itw:

http://www.eurosport.fr/tennis/paris-bercy/2012/bercy-gilles-simon-je-savais-ce-qui-m-attendait_sto3479812/story.shtml

Gilles Simon n'a pas été surpris par la performance de Jerzy Janowicz. Mais le Français n'a simplement pas pu, pas su faire ce qu'il fallait pour le contrer.

Avec quel sentiment sortez-vous de ce match?

G.S. : Je savais ce qui m'attendait aujourd'hui. Je n'ai simplement pas réussi à mettre en place ce que je devais faire sur mes mises en jeu. Sur mes mises en jeu, je n'ai pas été assez bon aujourd'hui. Cela restera mon regret. Face à ce type d'adversaire pour le faire douter, il faut finalement aussi être à l'aise sur ses mise en jeu, lui faire sentir qu'il n'aura pas d'occasion. Aujourd'hui, je n'ai pas réussi à le faire. Il a réussi à prendre l'ascendant systématiquement. Il a eu le temps de tenter tout ce qu'il avait à tenter. À un moment, c'est passé et il a gagné logiquement.

Y a-t-il un sentiment d'impuissance quand on joue un joueur comme ça?

G.S. : Ce n'est pas le premier très grand qui sert très fort contre qui je joue. Au niveau de la frustration, ça va. Au début, c'est énervant, après ça passe. On sait que l'on n’aura pas des occasions, peut-être une. Ca tient souvent de la réussite de partir du bon côté, sur le bon retour au bon moment. On sait que cela ne va pas être général de gagner 6-3, 6-2, ce n'est pas possible. Plus que son service, tout le monde a envie d'en parler parce que c’est l’arme. Finalement, j'ai le moins de choses à décider, je me mets en face et j'essaie de la retourner.

Il a quand même un jeu qui n'est pas courant même pour un grand serveur. Arrivez-vous à avoir une tactique claire face à un joueur si imprévisible ?

G.S. : J'y arrive mais il faut que je sois plus performant sur mon service. Il faut que j'arrive à commencer mes jeux de service en ayant l'avantage, en envoyant à droite, à gauche. Ce n'était pas le cas aujourd'hui. J'avais une première balle qui ne passait jamais, cela lui laissait le temps sur le deuxième de varier avec des amorties, d'être agressif. Il est très bon à cela. La tactique, ce n'est pas de contrer cela mais d'empêcher de le faire et d'empêcher mon rythme au service, ce que je n'ai pas réussi à faire aujourd'hui.

Malgré cette défaite, le bilan de votre semaine reste positif...

G.S. : On se satisfait jamais de perdre, peu importe que ce soit au premier tour, en demi ou en finale. J'imagine que dans deux semaines, je me dirai "c'est bien". Là, tout de suite, je suis déçu. Cela reste un adversaire qui est à ma portée. Je n'ai pas eu l'impression d'avoir fait un grand match non plus. Je sais que je peux mieux faire, je n'ai pas été capable, cela reste une déception de perdre aujourd'hui. J'ai juste envie de m'appuyer sur ce que je n'ai pas réussi à faire pour le travailler, continuer à améliorer cela pour faire mieux la prochaine fois.

Et globalement, comment jugez-vous votre saison dans son ensemble?

G.S. : Une saison extrêmement pénible à jouer dans le sens où j'ai manqué de sérénité à tous les niveaux d'abord physiquement. Peu à peu c’est rentré dans ma tête. C'était dur à chaque fois d'aller sur le terrain sans avoir la certitude de pouvoir livrer le combat que j'aimerais mener à chaque fois. J'ai besoin de retrouver confiance dans mon corps, dans mon état physique, sentir que je peux y aller à fond, que cela tient pour pouvoir être plus serein dans mon jeu et ma tête.

Physiquement, allez-vous travailler différemment?

G.S. : Oui. Je vais mettre l'accent là-dessus en tout cas. L'hiver, j'en profite pour courir, travailler le cardio parce qu’après, la saison est longue. C'est le seul moment où on peut le faire. Je vais essayer plus d'être sur le côté soin et faire attention à mon corps.