2012 Hardcourt all the way! 100% going forward! Hopefully. [Archive] - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

2012 Hardcourt all the way! 100% going forward! Hopefully.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

misty1
08-28-2012, 12:58 AM
obviously it would be better for him if he could find a way to win this in 3, expend as little energy as possible

hopefully he can but mike wont be giving this away

lalaland
08-28-2012, 01:05 AM
Please break back to keep the second set alive. C'mon Gilles.

Silver.
08-28-2012, 01:13 AM
What the hell. I just flicked off the interactive on skysports2 and now the option for match choice has disappeared and I can't get it back. Noooooooooooooooooooooo.

Any brits still watching it on that?

lalaland
08-28-2012, 01:25 AM
Got broken again to lose the 2nd set.

I'm beginning to fear that he will lose this match. Okay, maybe I'm asking too much to expect that he can win playing so subparly, but...it's just Michael Russell :p.

mike s.
08-28-2012, 01:34 AM
I think Gilles will retire before this match is over :sad:

lalaland
08-28-2012, 01:40 AM
It's a bit hopeless, isn't it?
He has no strength to go on offensive, it's just frustrating that he's not able to do much. I'm frustrated watching this.

Silver.
08-28-2012, 01:48 AM
very hopeless

wow this is depressing

lalaland
08-28-2012, 02:07 AM
I feel bad for him. I think this 35 grand slam points is not worth killing his shoulder for.

Silver.
08-28-2012, 02:07 AM
a slither of hope has returned

unfortunately i can't stay awake any longer, good luck gillou

lalaland
08-28-2012, 02:17 AM
He broke Russell and he's going to serve for the 3rd set. Russell called a doctor, took some pills.

Gilloulou
08-28-2012, 02:18 AM
serving for the set, lol

lalaland
08-28-2012, 02:20 AM
Surely, Gilles DF to open his serving for the set game :rolleyes:

lalaland
08-28-2012, 02:22 AM
Broken. Damnit. 5 all now.

lalaland
08-28-2012, 02:23 AM
They are both not well and just keeping each other in their miseries :lol:.

lalaland
08-28-2012, 02:30 AM
Srsly, this is a horror show.

lalaland
08-28-2012, 02:33 AM
Whatever Russell is suffering, it's not affecting him in any way.

mike s.
08-28-2012, 02:38 AM
I'm so mad because if Gilles was just at 50% he'd win this match :mad:

lalaland
08-28-2012, 02:38 AM
He lost the 3rd set. He's mad beyond himself, not sure what he's complaining. But he's probably mad that he screwed this set up. I'll be mad too if I were him.

Is there anything that he can to do to win this match? He just can't do much. Maybe it's better if he just loses it in 4, limit the damage.

lalaland
08-28-2012, 02:43 AM
I'm so mad because if Gilles was just at 50% he'd win this match :mad:

My thought exactly. He's serving less than 90m/h most of the time, and hitting every thing half the pace, if only he's like 20% better than his current state, he would have won already.

lalaland
08-28-2012, 02:53 AM
If he can just hit the ball deeper...can he do that?

lalaland
08-28-2012, 03:00 AM
He's mad even when he won the pt. :lol:

TennisFan2012
08-28-2012, 03:01 AM
TV is not showing the match here, but it sounds painful to watch. I wonder if Gilles told himself before the match began that he should win this match because his opponent is hardworking but not very talented, and he is determined to pick up these points. As you say the statistics show he is really not able to serve and I hope he doesn't ruin his shoulder simply by being stubborn.

lalaland
08-28-2012, 03:05 AM
He leads 3-2 in the 4th with a break. He'll need at least 2 breaks up to win a set. I mean, it's a miracle that he doesn't get broken more often than he is, serving like this. C'mon Gilles, you aren't going to give up anyway, you must win to make it worth the trouble, the misery you are putting your fans thru.

lalaland
08-28-2012, 03:07 AM
You can watch it on USO's official website, they stream live, that's what I'm watching now. It ain't pretty though, as you can imagine.

lalaland
08-28-2012, 03:13 AM
BTW, I'm not looking at the stat, I'm looking at the radar meter after every serve.

Oh, and he got broken. so back on serve.

I don't blame him for trying his luck against Russell, I thought he could beat him without a serve. But Gilles is also missing more than a serve, so it's iffy but still it's possible.

TennisFan2012
08-28-2012, 03:13 AM
Thanks, Lalaland. I had checked espn3.com but they didn't have it.

TennisFan2012
08-28-2012, 03:16 AM
Unbelievable - he got another break! >3.5 hours--grueling. At least it is not hot in NY.

lalaland
08-28-2012, 03:23 AM
Serving for another set again, I don't dare watching anymore.

misty1
08-28-2012, 03:26 AM
how long will they let this go, will it finish tonight?

TennisFan2012
08-28-2012, 03:27 AM
Just hang on a little longer, lalaland!

TennisFan2012
08-28-2012, 03:27 AM
misty, yes, they will let them finish if they go until 4 AM (or later!).

misty1
08-28-2012, 03:29 AM
misty, yes, they will let them finish if they go until 4 AM (or later!).

okay, thanks

im pissed..ill have to wait until i get up to see how it ends

if only he had served out that 3rd set:mad:

misty1
08-28-2012, 03:30 AM
oh fuck..now he's facing break point after having set point:rolleyes:

misty1
08-28-2012, 03:31 AM
6-4

take the 5th now gillou

TennisFan2012
08-28-2012, 03:33 AM
Good job, Gilles. But he needs an early break in the fifth and to try to keep the set short. At least they have a tiebreak rule at the US Open so they won't be tortured by having to play forever.

lalaland
08-28-2012, 03:35 AM
I'm back. My stream stopped when Russell has a BP. :lol:, it didn't want me to have a nervous breakdown. But he served it out, thank god.

TennisFan2012
08-28-2012, 03:37 AM
Good job! Break!

Legendary Lopata
08-28-2012, 03:38 AM
LOL. It looks like a flashmob dedicated to WTA. 70% of WTA serves faster than Simon today. He wants to show them their real level? :)

lalaland
08-28-2012, 03:43 AM
Well, with a torn shoulder muscle, he's still serving faster than 30% of the WTA ppl, that's not too bad :p.

TennisFan2012
08-28-2012, 03:47 AM
Wow, a great point, esp. at this late stage in the match. His shoulder may be hurting but his feet are still speedy.

lalaland
08-28-2012, 03:48 AM
Won a challenge and up 2 breaks, not that I can relax though. Allez Gilles, please win.

TennisFan2012
08-28-2012, 03:49 AM
Have to turn in to get enough sleep before work tomorrow - hope he can put this away quickly. Good night, all.

Legendary Lopata
08-28-2012, 03:50 AM
Another break) Iron Mike is a big choker.

lalaland
08-28-2012, 03:51 AM
Russell got a code violation earlier for hitting a ball out of court, and he just got a time violation, shouldn't he loses a point?

lalaland
08-28-2012, 03:54 AM
Good nite Tennisfan.
Not my bed time yet but I haven't had dinner and it's almost 9. Hurry up Gilles.

lalaland
08-28-2012, 04:04 AM
If he hadn't choke so badly and managed to serve the third set out, he could have avoided the 5th set. Good that the 5th set is relatively quick. 4.5 hr, he won and his shoulder hasn't fall off, I guess that's not too bad.

MsTree
08-28-2012, 04:09 AM
I'm good to be good for nothing at work! :lol:

mike s.
08-28-2012, 04:09 AM
Congrats Gilles, what a fighter! I'm so proud of him for gutting out that win.

mike s.
08-28-2012, 04:11 AM
I'm good to be good for nothing at work! :lol:

:lol: Good luck! I was supposed to do work this evening and did nothing because I was watching the match so my alarm is now set for 3:30 because of Gilles ;)

GilleSimonAddict
08-28-2012, 04:29 AM
Wow. It was tough to watch Gilles in this match. He has virtually no serve and it's clear he had a look of discomfort on his face. I was surprised that he couldn't even serve big even once here and there. He literally had to roll the serve in every time. If that's the case then he really shouldn't be playing this tournament and just taken the necessary time off to let the shoulder fully recover, because realistically, he has virtually no chance of advancing any further from here on out. Michael Russell is one thing, but even Karlovic and especially Fish will eat his first and second serves at those speeds alive. He will be under pressure on virtually every point and he won't be able to get away with it like he was able to against Russell. Just barely at that even against him and that's just because he is a very small and limited ability journeyman.

It was a great effort from Gilles and shows what we as fans already know about his undying heart and will to see it through, but I have to wonder at what cost and is it really even worth it. He as no chance of making it to the 4th round again this year now having seen how he has to play so he's going to lose points no matter what so why not just pull out now and give yourself some real time to recover.

I don't know. Just my feelings on the matter. Btw, I loved the turquoise aqua-ish colored shirt.

GilleSimonAddict
08-28-2012, 04:33 AM
Thanks, Lalaland. I had checked espn3.com but they didn't have it.

Yes they did because that's where I watched it.

mike s.
08-28-2012, 04:46 AM
Wow. It was tough to watch Gilles in this match. He has virtually no serve and it's clear he had a look of discomfort on his face. I was surprised that he couldn't even serve big even once here and there. He literally had to roll the serve in every time. If that's the case then he really shouldn't be playing this tournament and just taken the necessary time off to let the shoulder fully recover, because realistically, he has virtually no chance of advancing any further from here on out. Michael Russell is one thing, but even Karlovic and especially Fish will eat his first and second serves at those speeds alive. He will be under pressure on virtually every point and he won't be able to get away with it like he was able to against Russell. Just barely at that even against him and that's just because he is a very small and limited ability journeyman.

It was a great effort from Gilles and shows what we as fans already know about his undying heart and will to see it through, but I have to wonder at what cost and is it really even worth it. He as no chance of making it to the 4th round again this year now having seen how he has to play so he's going to lose points no matter what so why not just pull out now and give yourself some real time to recover.

I don't know. Just my feelings on the matter. Btw, I loved the turquoise aqua-ish colored shirt.

I think he'll pull out of a match if he doesn't think he has a chance of winning. If it doesn't feel better by the Fish match I think he'll withdraw. No harm though in getting some extra points and money this week as long as the shoulder doesn't get worse. It's a major so I understand why he wants to at least give it a go.

lalaland
08-28-2012, 04:53 AM

I agree with all you said.
I think it's the draw's fault that Gilles is even playing. If he had gotten a tough one like Nalbandian, he probably would have w/d last friday. But it's Michael Russell, he thought he can win without much, and he did. Now that he has won one, he's not going to w/d no matter. Maybe he'll get lucky next round, maybe not. I think if it's Dr. Ivo, at least it will be a fast one. And I think he's probably prepared to be blown off court playing with so little, I'm prepared to see him gotten blown off court next round. It's good that he didn't push it though, he can't serve and he didn't even try to serve hard once or twice. His first is mostly in the 80s after the first set. But it's fine, just roll it in and see what happen, that's more sensible that pushing it beyond what he should. The most sensible thing is of course to just quit now and rest that shoulder. But Gilles never does the most sensible thing, he'll just gut it out til the end of the season. I hope I'm wrong, but based on his track record, I got a feeling that I'm not wrong.

lalaland
08-28-2012, 05:12 AM
L'Equipe:

L'épaule droite dans un état limite, Gilles Simon a quand même choisi de s'aligner à l'US Open. Lundi face à Michael Russell, il n'a jamais pu servir à 100% mais il a tout de même refusé de céder et a fini par arracher la victoire en cinq sets (7-6(4), 3-6, 5-7, 6-4, 6-1) et 4h26' de jeu.

«J'ai eu le match auquel je m'attendais : ça a été dur, ça a été affreux, glisse Simon dans un sourire. Je suis diminué donc je ne peux pas frapper comme je veux au service ou en fond de court, mais je peux contrer et je bouge bien. J'ai vite vu qu'il y allait avoir match, que je n'allais pas prendre une rouste donc j'ai tout fait pour gagner. Il n'y a pas eu de point gratuit dans ce match, c'était 4h30' de droite-gauche. Je n'ai pris aucun plaisir, ça ne rime peut-être à rien mais ça fait un mois que je suis là, c'est un Grand Chelem alors je veux essayer. En plus je ne risque pas d'aggraver cette blessure et ça va quand même bien mieux qu'il y a encore une semaine.» Il affrontera désormais Ivo Karlovic ou Jimmy Wang. Dans quel état ? C'est bien la question.

misty1
08-28-2012, 12:01 PM
very happy to see that he pulled this one out

i agree that if he had a tougher first round he probably would have withdrawn but russell is someone he probably knew he could get away with having a weaker serve against

hopefully he doesnt do himself to much harm by playing though

Gillouthe best
08-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Gilles :bowdown:, he's a great fighter.

lalaland
08-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Itw from Sport24:

Épuisé à la fin de son match du premier tour de l’US Open, remporté face à l’Américain Michael Russell en cinq sets dans la nuit de lundi, Gilles Simon est diminué par une douloureuse fissure du sous-épineux à l’épaule droite, mais veut tout de même tenter le coup.

Gilles, vous étiez manifestement diminué…
Gilles Simon : Oui, mais bon je le savais avant d’y aller, donc pas de surprise pour moi. Je crois que j’ai eu le match que j’attendais en fait. Cela a été très dur, c’est certainement les 45 points (ATP) les plus mérités de l’année et je suis content d’avoir gagné ce match.

Cela valait la peine de l’avoir joué du coup ?
Je vais essayer de jouer le moins de matches possibles (Ndlr : à cause de sa blessure), mais là c’est un tournoi du Grand Chelem et cela fait un mois que je suis là, je me suis dit : «allez, je vais essayer» (il rit nerveusement). Et puis surtout, maintenant que je sais que cela ne s’aggrave pas, j’y vais et j’attends que ça passe. Je le prends juste comme du bonus, j’essaie de faire ce que je peux. C’est quand même mieux pour moi de jouer un mec comme Russell, qui ne sert pas non plus que des obus, sinon c’est très déséquilibré. Maintenant, au deuxième tour, on verra ! Je savais que j’avais une petite chance de gagner ce match, que ça allait être très compliqué et cela l’a été. Je n’ai fait que du physique pendant dix jours, puisque je n’avais que cela à faire, donc du coup d’avoir gagné en 4h30 ça fait plaisir.

Est-ce que ce fut l’un des matchs les plus durs de votre carrière ?
Oui, car normalement dans un match, d’un côté comme de l’autre, il y a des points gratuits. Or là avec mon service… Moi c’est zéro et lui, bon, pas des masses non plus, donc du coup c’est 4 heures et demi de droite-gauche, et tu les sens passer.

Expliquez-nous justement, comment se ressent votre blessure sur votre service ?
J’ai mal ! J’ai mal, c’est tout. Si je sers, j’ai mal, donc j’essaie de servir sans avoir mal, donc je ne force pas, je n’ai pas envie de tout casser du coup. Je ressens aussi la douleur quand je joue du fond du court, même si je ne frappe pas très fort, mais je bouge bien, je sens que je peux jouer du fond, contrer, je suis dur à déborder… Donc voilà je suis là, cela fait un mois que je me bats avec cela, et là je suis arrivé sur le match en pensant pouvoir gagner et la preuve, c’est que je l’ai fait.

Vous êtes-vous fait peur quand même, en pensant ne pas pouvoir remonter, une fois mené deux sets à un par exemple ?
Au fond, je m’en foutais un peu, j’étais très détendu en rentrant sur le terrain, après j’avais juste peur de prendre une grosse rouste et d’être ridicule. Mais quand j’ai vu qu’il y avait match, je me sentais mieux, je me suis bien énervé à la fin du troisième quand même ! Mais bon j’avais un adversaire où c’était du 50-50, c’est difficile, c’est dur de chaque côté et je vois qu’à la fin du troisième il n’était pas très beau non plus. Je me suis accroché et puis j’ai pu passer devant et rester devant même si cela a été dur.

Avez-vous pris du plaisir quand même durant cette rencontre ?
Non, là aucun. Aucun. J’avais juste envie d’essayer de gagner. Voilà, je m’étais mis ça en tête : «je vais essayer de gagner», en sachant que cela allait être dur et affreux. J’aurais pu perdre, cela ne se joue à rien. Et je suis content d’avoir gagné, j’espère qu’au prochain tour je ne serai pas ridicule !

Dans ces conditions, à quoi cela rime-t-il de jouer alors ?
À rien ! Encore une fois, je sais que je n’ai aucune chance de me faire plus mal que cela, donc voilà j’y vais, cela va mettre du temps à passer. Je continue de travailler, ce dont on ne se rend pas compte c’est que là c’est beaucoup (il insiste fortement et longuement sur ce mot) mieux qu’il y a une semaine, donc c’est ça qui est drôle (il rit) ! Si cela sourit un peu, si j’arrive à avancer dans la semaine, on ne sait jamais… Il ne vaudrait mieux pas que ce soit un gros serveur en face quand même.

The most deserved 45 points he earned for the year, indeed :lol:.
He's hoping that he doesn't look ridiculous the next round...me hoping that for you too, Gilles.
He answered the burning question that we're all asking: what's the point of he playing here..."For Nothing". :lol: you just have to love him for that.

lalaland
08-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Btw, elsewhere, he also said:

ce dont on ne se rend pas compte c’est que là c’est beaucoup mieux qu’il y a une semaine, donc c’est ça qui est drôle (rires) ! Si ça sourit un peu, si j’arrive à avancer dans la semaine, on ne sait jamais… Il ne vaudrait mieux pas que ce soit un gros serveur en face quand même.

It is much better now than a week ago, so he's hoping that the sun will shine upon him....another week, you never know. Okay, I guess I understand the logic, although it's still sounded a bit idiotic.

mike s.
08-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Wang-Karlovic is 1 set all, I'm really rooting for Wang here because I think Gilles would have a chance against him.

lalaland
08-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Jimmy Wang it is. Maybe there really is a point of hanging around for Gilles, maybe the pain will go away, maybe the draw will open up for him...

Ok, let's not take Jimmy for granted. I've never heard of him, but he won 3 Qualies and a MD to get here, so you never know.

Allez Gilles. Do the best you can.

mike s.
08-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Based on Wang's serve stats on the ATP website he doesn't have a particularly big serve so that's good news for Gilles. I agree though, he can't underestimate him at all.

lalaland
08-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Wang broke Dr. Ivo quite a few times (6-1 and 6-4 the last 2 sets), so he can break, I suppose. Gilles' obviously very vulnerable now on his own serves since he doesn't really have one now. But at least Gilles should be able to handle Wang's serve, giving that Wang has the same build as Iron Mike (probably not that muscular though). Facing a big server you have the added pressure of feeling that you can't lose your own serve, so at least he doesn't need to worry about that, I guess.

mike s.
08-28-2012, 09:22 PM
I was looking at the draw and I'm a little concerned Gilles won't be on a tv court next round. All of the other matches in his half either have an American or are more interesting match-ups besides maybe Chardy-Ebden. Oh well, hopefully I'm wrong.

mike s.
08-29-2012, 08:07 PM
I was wrong, Gilles is third up on Court 13 so we get to see the likely horror show :lol:

Allez Gilles, try your best!

lalaland
08-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Tomorrow OOP:
3rd match on Court 13. It's a TV court.

I've been watching non-stop the past 2 days, the more I watched, the more I think he's lucky. No way his soft balls not get killed by anyone else. I'm even beginning to get very worry about Jimmy Wang :o. He can get killed by anyone who can go after a soft serve.

--------------------------

From L'Equipe the paper. It's more the same info but just a little bit extra. Tutu said he's happy to see Gilles' mental strength, which he thinks hasn't been showing up lately. I kinda disagree, I mean, Gilles has always has the fight no matter, he fought well the last match. But his mental issue has been the choking, I don't see that getting better. If the scores were tighter in the 5th set, who knows if he could have pulled that off. Thankfully, it wasn't tight. Anyways, I'll be able to see what happen tomorrow. He also said Gilles will get an infiltration after, I guess he means after the Open.

Simon : Aucun plaisir

«FALLAIT Y ALLER OU PAS?» That was the question avant-hier, face à l’Américain Russell, pour un Gilles Simon affligé au service d’un petit bras de quatrième série. Ça fait un mois que ça dure avec cette fissure d’un tendon de l’épaule qui l’empêche de terminer son mouvement sur son engagement. Après s’être fait botter les fesses à Toronto par le vétéran Tommy Haas, Simon avait prévenu qu’il ne rentrerait plus sur un terrain sans être certain d’être compétitif. Donc forfait à Cincinnati. Et puis arrive un Grand Chelem. Le compétiteur se réveille et oublie ses bonnes résolutions. On va y aller même avec l’épaule en compote. Et on paie le prix, pendant 4 h 26’, à ramer contre un joueur de trente-quatre ans qui n’a jamais gagné un match à l’US Open. Alors, ça vaut le coup ? « Oui, puisque j’ai gagné », répondait Gilles Simon, lundi soir à minuit. J’y suis allé parce que je savais que Russell n’est pas un aigle au service, que je pourrais lâcher mon service plusieurs fois avec des chances de débreaker. » Il avait bien anticipé, mais ce ne fut pas beau à voir. Avec une première balle en moyenne à 147 km/h et une seconde à 128, il perdit huit fois son service. Comme prévu, Russell lui rendit la politesse, le même nombre de fois et nous voilà partis pour une longue soirée. Simon compensa son manque de bras par un surplus de jambes. Russell en sait quelque chose. Exténué, il fit venir le médecin à 5-4 dans le troisième set. On lui prit la tension, il avala une pilule et fut jugé bon pour le service. Mais comme cet arrêt avait été bien long, l’épaule de Simon s’était refroidie. Le Français perdit son break d’avance, et trois jeux d’affilée pour voir Russell, ressuscité, mener deux sets à un.

Mais le film était loin d’être fini. Arnaud Di Pasquale, responsable du haut niveau masculin français, Arnaud Clément, nouveau capitaine de Coupe Davis, Lionel Roux, entraîneur de Coupe Davis, n’avaient pas perdu une miette de ce film à rallonge. Mais il fallut se ravitailler et Roux fut envoyé chercher quelques victuailles. Thierry Tulasne était dans le secteur. L’entraîneur surveillait avec intérêt la lutte de son protégé contre cette épaule récalcitrante. « Ça faisait un bout de temps que je n’avais pas vu Gilles aussi fort mentalement, expliquait-il. C’est important, car la bagarre, c’est son fonds de commerce. » Il finit par cuire Russell à l’étouffée, remportant les deux dernières manches en faisant toute la fin de course en tête. Vaillant, il le fut. Content ? Oui et non. « En rentrant sur le court, j’avais peur d’être ridicule et de m’en prendre une bonne. Mais dès que j’ai vu qu’il y avait match, je me suis accroché. Ce sont les 45 points (attribués aux vainqueurs du premier tour) les plus mérités de l’année. Je savais que ça serait affreux. Je n’ai pris aucun plaisir. Mais ça fait un mois que je suis dans ce pays et je me disais que je ne voulais pas être venu pour rien. » Et où va-t-on, comme ça, sans lumière ? « Il n’y a pas de risque d’aggravation, rassure Tulasne. Mais Gilles devra s’occuper de ce problème après. Il devra subir une infiltration. » Pour le prochain tour, il faudra faire avec les moyens du bord. Et ce sera cette fois face à un joueur qui aura au moins gagné un match à Flushing Meadows. Il faudra bien lever le coude…

GilleSimonAddict
08-29-2012, 11:29 PM
I guess i've decided to just take Gilles' approach to this from here on out. I'm just going to watch with no expectations of him winning and no fear of him losing. I only hope that all of the "it can't get worse" talk is true. But otherwise, i'm just going to go along for the ride with Gilles and hope for the best for him. I definitely see where he is coming from about why he wanted to play, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. But, likewise, that's part of why I like him and part of his charm. He's just such a defiant and tenacious little twerp and I love him for it...among other reasons like his great ass...ets.:devil::kiss::inlove:

Gilloulou
08-30-2012, 06:20 AM
ok, after the first few days all i can think of is where do i find Novak's outfit???

mike s.
08-30-2012, 08:43 PM
If Gilles wins, Fish is next. Was hoping Davydenko would win because he doesn't have a serve either but oh well.

MsTree
08-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Woah! Steady on there one set at a time :lol:
We're on! Gilles is next up. Allez!!! :cheerleader:

lalaland
08-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Let the show begins. Hopefully not another horror show ;).

lalaland
08-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Jimmy Wang's totally rocking that socks, black/white long/short combo, very creative.

Silver.
08-30-2012, 09:27 PM
I absolutely love him for carrying on here at the US, even if he's being stupid, I just find it so endearing :lol:

Allez Gilles! Give it your best!

lalaland
08-30-2012, 09:42 PM
87 m/h service winner. I love it.

lalaland
08-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Thanks to Jo for losing to Klizan, I feel it's okay now if Gilles loses to Wang, no one will notice :p.
Trying to be as relax as I can watching this, it's not easy.

lalaland
08-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Carine's watching at the front roll corner.

lalaland
08-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Shoulder warmed up, he's hitting his FH with some heat.

GilleSimonAddict
08-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Wow shocker of a story developing on ESPN2. I've got Gilles' match going on the computer and ESPN2 on in the background of my living room and Roddick just announced that this will be his final tournament. He's pulling a Clisters.

lalaland
08-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Served out the first set. Phew!

GilleSimonAddict
08-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Set 1 is Gilles!! Yay! :cheerleader:

lalaland
08-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Wow. Roddick. Wow. Speechless. I mean he didn't look good, but I didn't think he will give up so soon.

lalaland
08-30-2012, 10:15 PM
I think I may have to cheer for Roddick to last in this tournament.

GilleSimonAddict
08-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Yeah I know. This is why I worry about Gilles. I know he's only 27 going on 28 and he's got I would think a few good years left at the least, but you just never know. Now that he's got a kid, stuff like that can change the way you initially felt before you had a kid in the picture and with more injuries coming more often now, who knows when he will say it is enough.

I also think we may be seeing the last of Hewitt, Ferrero and Davydenko this year as well which is sad because these are some of the guys, along with Safin who already pulled the plug, that I really enjoyed watching before Simon was even in the picture and now they are transitioning to the next stages of their lives and it makes me get all worried about how much longer I get to enjoy Simon.

lalaland
08-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Broken right away in Set 2, typical.

lalaland
08-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Wang definitely up the ante in Set 2, and Gilles having a low in energy... down 0-3 in Set 2.

lalaland
08-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Wang's standing inside the baseline hitting his groundy. Gilles need to hit deeper to force him back, but he's not getting his shots deep enough, or at all.

GilleSimonAddict
08-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Gilles get's the
http://www.herbalgranny.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/bone-fracture.jpg

GilleSimonAddict
08-30-2012, 10:35 PM
And Wang gets the break right back. Here we go again.

lalaland
08-30-2012, 10:38 PM
About to lose the 2nd set. Damnit. C'mon Gilles.

GilleSimonAddict
08-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Well it looks like it's about to be tied a set a piece. I was really hoping that Gilles would be able to find away to win this match in straight sets since Fish had to play a long 5 setter earlier today, but it looks like this will probably be another long match that goes the distance. Even if Gilles manages to win, he's not going to have anything left against Fish after two possible five setters in a row.

lalaland
08-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Broke back and stays alive in Set 2. Come now, must hold. Allez.

Silver.
08-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Can't even concentrate right now. Favourite player has announced retirement and i can't believe it.

I'm so so gutted I can't put it into words :sad:

Supported him for 8 years. Never been through one of my favourites retiring, never going to see him on court again. I got to meet him last month and see him play, kind of makes it a little bit easier to take.

Sorry lalaland but I hate to see you call a player reitring 'giving up'. Roddick has had an unbelievable career.

lalaland
08-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Shit, broken to lose the set. Damnit Gilles.

GilleSimonAddict
08-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Unbelievable Gilles. :facepalm:

mike s.
08-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Gilles :rolleyes:

It's just unbelievable how predictable he is. I know he doesn't have a serve but still can't hold serve after breaking.

lalaland
08-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Sorry lalaland but I hate to see you call a player reitring 'giving up'. Roddick has had an unbelievable career.

Sorry, no disrespect meant, I could have said didn't think he'll hang it up (give it up, not meaning giving up). I never like Roddick, but I have said it on MTF many times that I respect his achievement, especially the fact that he was in Top 10 for however many years he has been. IT's pretty extraordinary. If Gilles can have a career like that.

Nagyovafan
08-30-2012, 10:59 PM
Gilles is hitting his groundstrokes pretty well today. There is hope yet. He's doing a good job at getting ahead in Wang's service games, he just needs to play more offensively. And I just love his backhand, it's so flat.

GilleSimonAddict
08-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Man all these dang errors from Gilles. That's the problem right now.

lalaland
08-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Last match, I really felt that he couldn't do much. This match, I think he's not trying hard enough. I don't know, but he could do more to put some pressure on Jimmy on those rally. C'mon Gilles, wake up.

GilleSimonAddict
08-30-2012, 11:06 PM
He's already cranking more serves over 100mph compared to last match. He's just being a little to sloppy on his ground strokes right now.

lalaland
08-30-2012, 11:06 PM
But then, it also seems that every time he goes for a shot, he hit an UE. :sad:

GilleSimonAddict
08-30-2012, 11:14 PM
That was a good hold from Simon. Wang has definitely started to hit the ball harder and flatter and Gilles needs to be a little bit more aggressive himself.

GilleSimonAddict
08-30-2012, 11:35 PM
C'mon Gilles make something happen here.

lalaland
08-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Well, I think if he’s not able to hold serve, that’s not because he can’t serve. I mean, the slow serve is not what’s hurting him. The thing with Gilles, when facing a lower ranked opponent, is that, he doesn’t press hard enough. Unless things go really well and he is in a groove or sth. Otherwise, a couple of misses while going for it, then he starts shying away from pressing too much. Surely, anyone in a GS MD is able to pull an upset these days. But Wang is ranked outside Top 150, Gilles’ letting him play too much. If he’s playing a Top 20, you won’t see him playing like this. :mad:
That's what I think anyway.

GilleSimonAddict
08-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Best game Gilles has played all match and what a time to do it. AWESOME!

lalaland
08-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Ok, just when I said that, he did press hard here. Get a break, well done. Now, please don't give it back.

GilleSimonAddict
08-30-2012, 11:43 PM
YES :cheerleader: Gilles takes a 2 sets to 1 lead!

lalaland
08-30-2012, 11:45 PM
That's a much better serve game to close out the set.
Now, be a sweetie and finish it in 4. I got to go out soon. C'mon Gilles.

GilleSimonAddict
08-30-2012, 11:45 PM
I hope Gilles is able to steam roll Wang here in the 4th set. It looked like Wang was starting to feel all of the running Gilles has made him do.

GilleSimonAddict
08-30-2012, 11:57 PM
Gilles off to his usual start to a new set after winning the last with a break against him after having 0-40 on Wang. :rolleyes:

Silver.
08-30-2012, 11:58 PM
I wish I could understand what he yells to himself.

lalaland
08-30-2012, 11:58 PM
FFS. Had 0-40 didn't break, now he got broken.
Why are u doing this to us, Gillou?

Gillouthe best
08-31-2012, 12:05 AM
And another tight game lost :mad:

GilleSimonAddict
08-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Gilles should actually be up 5-0 right now.

GilleSimonAddict
08-31-2012, 12:12 AM
Wang is definitely out of gas and running on fumes right now. If Gilles can cut down on the loose errors and just be consistent, he should win this match in 4 sets.

Silver.
08-31-2012, 12:23 AM
Come on Gillou, I need something to cheer me up.

Silver.
08-31-2012, 12:29 AM
YES. Come on serve it out, please!

GilleSimonAddict
08-31-2012, 12:29 AM
And the break! Moment of truth now for Gilles. Please don't choke!

GilleSimonAddict
08-31-2012, 12:36 AM
Well done Gilles! Another massive showing of fight, will and heart!

Silver.
08-31-2012, 12:38 AM
Wheww good job in the end Gilles :) Wonder how he'll fare next round. Did anyone see him sitting down at the end of the match? He looked exhausted/sad/in pain :sadface: hope he's alright.

Gillouthe best
08-31-2012, 12:43 AM
Gilles :woohoo:, hard fought and deserved win. He defends 90 of his 180 pts. while being injured, not bad. His first serve average was 95 MPH :lol:, but he's dealing with it. Davydenko was also with no serve and pushed Fish to 5, let's see what Gilles can do. Agree with silver, he looked exhausted at the end of the match, but I tought he was relieved and happy he got the win.

GilleSimonAddict
08-31-2012, 12:44 AM
I think he's just tired and understandably so. He looked alright otherwise. Considering his injury and not having much of a serve, he's done well to get to the 3rd round. I don't give him much of a chance against Fish, because he's leagues better than Russell or Wang and a former top 10'er himself, but you never know. But I suspect that Gilles will be pretty tired come that match. Either way, I'm happy with his showing.

Silver.
08-31-2012, 12:48 AM
I guess this means he's missing his baby boy's birthday 2nd year in a row :awww:

GilleSimonAddict
08-31-2012, 12:51 AM
I guess this means he's missing his baby boy's birthday 2nd year in a row :awww:

Timothee and Carine are both there with him. :yeah:

lalaland
08-31-2012, 01:02 AM
I left at when he's down 1-3 in the 4th, thinking that if I hurry, I will be able to catch the 5th. But I'm really happy that I missed the end since there's no 5th. He won, and as long as he doesn't get himself hurt more than he already is, I'm happy. TBH, I'm content that he gets to the 3rd round, that's all I want. I mean, I do love to see him beat Fish, but I really rather someone else play Fed at R4 if he's not 100%. I mean, Fed will triple bagel him serving at 95 m/h :scared:. I don't want to see him getting trashed in front of millions. But having said that, I probably cannot cheer against him next round either. So I don't know. I'm torn.

lalaland
08-31-2012, 01:13 AM

Carine was watching his match for the first 1.5 set. Timothee is probably still too young to watch daddy playing live.

mike s.
08-31-2012, 04:33 AM
Congrats Gilles :D Great fight!

Sorry Silver about Roddick, it's a tough feeling when a favorite retires. I hope for the best for Roddick this tournament.

lalaland
08-31-2012, 04:47 AM
This match is putting more toll on him, it seems. He said he's hurting everywhere now. And what's motivating him for his next match against Fish? The Plane! :lol: Funny, but it's not a good sign, not a good sign at all.

L'Equipe:

Comme au premier tour, Gilles Simon a souffert. Comme au premier tour, il a fini par s'en sortir. Jeudi, le Français a dominé Jimmy Wang en quatre sets très tendus (6-4, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4), remontant notamment un break de retard (3-0) dans la dernière manche.

Trois heures de combat, de frustration aussi à cause de cette épaule droite qui le diminue. «C'était dur, a-t-il lâché après une longue pause par la case récupération avant de venir devant la presse. 4h30' de jeu au premier tour, là encore trois, je commence à le sentir. J'ai mal partout. C'est dur mentalement parce que tout devient compliqué quand on ne peut pas servir. En plus Wang contrait vraiment bien donc tous les échanges ont été longs. Il a fallu se battre.»

Mais il le savait avant de venir alors il a encore serré les dents et accepté de ne pas forcément produire son meilleur tennis. Le prochain tour face à Mardy Fish aura valeur de juge de paix. «Ce que m'inspire Mardy Fish au prochain tour ? L'avion (rires). Je sais dans quel état j'arrive, je sais que Mardy est très bon et encore plus sur dur et devant son public. Je sais que même à 100% ça serait très dur. Alors là... En perdant mon service deux fois par set, ça va être très compliqué. Là pour le coup j'ai peur de prendre une grosse rouste. On verra bien.»
Carole BOUCHARD, à New York

mike s.
08-31-2012, 05:25 AM
This match is putting more toll on him, it seems. He said he's hurting everywhere now. And what's motivating him for his next match against Fish? The Plane! :lol: Funny, but it's not a good sign, not a good sign at all.

L'Equipe:

Comme au premier tour, Gilles Simon a souffert. Comme au premier tour, il a fini par s'en sortir. Jeudi, le Français a dominé Jimmy Wang en quatre sets très tendus (6-4, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4), remontant notamment un break de retard (3-0) dans la dernière manche.

Trois heures de combat, de frustration aussi à cause de cette épaule droite qui le diminue. «C'était dur, a-t-il lâché après une longue pause par la case récupération avant de venir devant la presse. 4h30' de jeu au premier tour, là encore trois, je commence à le sentir. J'ai mal partout. C'est dur mentalement parce que tout devient compliqué quand on ne peut pas servir. En plus Wang contrait vraiment bien donc tous les échanges ont été longs. Il a fallu se battre.»

Mais il le savait avant de venir alors il a encore serré les dents et accepté de ne pas forcément produire son meilleur tennis. Le prochain tour face à Mardy Fish aura valeur de juge de paix. «Ce que m'inspire Mardy Fish au prochain tour ? L'avion (rires). Je sais dans quel état j'arrive, je sais que Mardy est très bon et encore plus sur dur et devant son public. Je sais que même à 100% ça serait très dur. Alors là... En perdant mon service deux fois par set, ça va être très compliqué. Là pour le coup j'ai peur de prendre une grosse rouste. On verra bien.»
Carole BOUCHARD, à New York

That's too bad, I was hoping he would feel a little bit better after two days off. Oh well, I still think he's underselling his chances a little bit. I think he has at least a small chance to beat Fish. Either way, I'm glad he got to the third round so I can see him live on Saturday unless he's on Ashe.

MsTree
08-31-2012, 06:34 AM
I fell asleep :o: Well done Gillou though! :D

misty1
08-31-2012, 12:15 PM
i hope he's okay. Davydenko doesnt have a serve ither and he still really could have beaten fish in 3 sets if he maintained his level from sets 1 and 2.

Silver.
08-31-2012, 03:12 PM

Yay, this makes me happy! Whatever happens in his next match i'm happy he made with R3 with an injury.

lalaland
08-31-2012, 08:49 PM
A bit annoyed that they don't have the overall W/UE counts for the overall stat for R1, so I just added up all the points in the rally stat, they even have forced error counts:

Gilles W/FE/UE : 52/42/51
Russell W/FE/UE: 31/27/60

· RALLY STATS
Michael Russell (USA) Gilles Simon (FRA)
WINNERS FORCED ERRORS UNFORCED ERRORS WINNERS FORCED ERRORS UNFORCED ERRORS
FH BH FH BH FH BH FH BH FH BH FH BH
2 - - - 2 2 Approach Shots 2 2 1 - 1 -
2 - 1 1 - 5 Drop Shots - 1 - - - -
2 3 7 6 26 23 Ground Strokes 10 11 21 5 18 29
1 1 2 - - - Lobs 1 - 2 1 - -
3 - 2 - - - Overhead Shots 4 - - - 1 -
3 - 3 2 - - Passing Shots 2 12 4 7 1 1
6 8 1 2 - 2 Volleys 5 2 1 - - -

lalaland
08-31-2012, 11:49 PM
Tomorrow's OOP:

Gilles' match is on Ashe, night session, last match of the day.

GilleSimonAddict
09-01-2012, 12:03 AM
I just saw that. That's really cool and exciting. It's just too bad that he's not going to be anywhere near 100% obviously and too tired to boot to make it much of a match probably, but, at the same time, I don't think Gilles has ever had a prime time at the US Open night match on Arthur Ashe Stadium before.

I know it's really only because he's facing an American in Mardy Fish, but at the same time, it feels like a reward for Gilles for fighting it out and still being able to make it to the 3rd round despite the injury. I would say he will be more than satisfied with his decision to go ahead and come to the US Open and play. He deserves this grand stage appearance.

Silver.
09-01-2012, 04:45 PM
I know it's really only because he's facing an American in Mardy Fish, but at the same time, it feels like a reward for Gilles for fighting it out and still being able to make it to the 3rd round despite the injury. I would say he will be more than satisfied with his decision to go ahead and come to the US Open and play. He deserves this grand stage appearance.

Too right! :) I'm looking forward to it. Hope he does the best he can, but i'm not expecting anything.

Allez Gilles!

lalaland
09-02-2012, 01:46 AM
So here we go. Hope he put up a good scoreline, since he kept saying he really worries that he’ll get thrashed. C’mon Gilles, do your best, we are already really proud of you for fighting so hard to get here. He really has nothing to lose, and if he loses this match, he’ll gain more time to get his shoulder healed sooner.

Allez!

-------------------------------------------------------------
That’s yesterday’s L’Equipe, nothing much, just more of how miserable he is…

Une chape de plomb

Jimmy Wang ne connaissait pas le supplice français : faire face à Simon la sangsue qui renvoie tout, inlassablement, qu’il ne souffre de rien ou qu’il ait mal au genou, au cou (c’était l’an dernier) ou à l’épaule (version US 2012). Avec une balle de 5-3 au troisième set (à une manche partout), le Taïwainais avait bien cru s’extirper de la toile d’araignée. Mais il encaissa treize points de suite et finit usé jusqu’à l’os à force de courir dans tous les sens dans une rencontre plombée par la langueur et magnifiée par le courage. Comme l’impayable Français, d’ailleurs, affalé dans sa chaise de très longues minutes. « C’est long et ça se sent, soufflait- il en se massant les muscles, même si on le sait doué pour la gestion de l’effort au long cours. C’est très douloureux, j’ai mal partout. Un ou deux matches comme ça ( en pensant très fort au marathon du premier tour face à Russell), un troisième, et c’est l’asile. » Pas facile d’être maso. Pas facile de crapahuter sans autre perspective que le point suivant. Simon traverse cet US Open presque comme un zombie, sans aucun espoir d’aller mieux et de voir loin. « Sans service, tout devient compliqué. Je breake deux fois et je perds la deuxième 6-4. Tous les points sont longs, tous les points sont durs… » Mais, en passant deux tours, même au forceps, Simon a assuré l’essentiel. Gloire à la trottinette au coeur gros comme ça. Avec son service tout flagada, il peut s’exposer en victime ( presque) consentante face à Mardy Fish. « Qu’est-ce que m’inspire Fish ? Pas que du rêve. Ça m’inspire l’avion, assénait-il, réaliste. Je sais dans quel état je suis et je sais que Mardy, devant son public, fait le gros de sa saison sur le dur américain. » Face à un Américain souvent impeccable dans ses mises en jeu, le Français devra tenir son service, une équation rendue complexe par ce que vous savez. « Et là, oui, j’ai peur d’une rouste », confessait Simon. Mais, dit la fable, à toute chose malheur est bon. « C’est pénible, c’est sûr, mais j’ai retrouvé le Gilles avec la rage de vaincre, positivait son coach Thierry Tulasne. Il avait un peu perdu ça, il était plus sur le beau jeu en début d’année. Or Gilles doit absolument garder ça… »

Silver.
09-02-2012, 02:03 AM
Stayed up till 3am for this. Things I do! ;)

GilleSimonAddict
09-02-2012, 02:06 AM
Oh man i'm already cringing. The announcers are really buttering up Simon and they have no idea that he is injured and won't be able to serve or really be very aggressive. This one announcer guy especially is really boasting about Simon's abilities and he thinks he will win. :sad:

GilleSimonAddict
09-02-2012, 02:13 AM
These guys just have no idea about Simon's condition. The one guy just asked the other how Simon gets away with a serve so slow like that's how Simon always serves or something. They think Simon is nervous because of the home crowd and that he will start serving bigger as the match goes on. They have no clue what's really going on.

Nagyovafan
09-02-2012, 02:29 AM
These guys just have no idea about Simon's condition. The one guy just asked the other how Simon gets away with a serve so slow like that's how Simon always serves or something. They think Simon is nervous because of the home crowd and that he will start serving bigger as the match goes on. They have no clue what's really going on.
Yeah someone needs to fill them in...

GilleSimonAddict
09-02-2012, 02:29 AM
Is anybody else watching the official US Open stream and hearing what the announcers are saying and want to just scream at them through the screen "SIMON IS INJURED YOU IDIOTS"!!!

lalaland
09-02-2012, 02:33 AM
I am. Its maddening. I try to search for Luke Jensen to see if he has a twitter or sth but nothing. I wrote on the USOpen facebook to tell him to shut up, sort of.

lalaland
09-02-2012, 02:36 AM
Gilles already stretching his legs during points, and we are still in Set 1. He looks like he's already done, I mean, he looks like his mentally worn out.

GilleSimonAddict
09-02-2012, 02:39 AM
Luke Jenson. I knew that voice sounded familiar. Ugh, it's unfortunate because he's actually really high on Simon's game and stuff but he just doesn't know what's going on with Simon and his shoulder and now they are starting to accuse him of tanking like Tomic against Roddick last night which is infuriating because they really have no clue about how what they really should be doing is applauding Simon for his efforts and what he's done up to this point at the US Open and what he's trying to do against Fish. :fiery:

Simon couldn't be farther away from Tomic right now. Simon is showing nothing but heart, passion and will.

Silver.
09-02-2012, 02:40 AM
The commentators I have seem more informed. One said he spoke to Tulasne before the game, and he was saying he doesn't know how Gilles is going to do because of his shoulder. These are predicting Gilles may retire. I am too..

lalaland
09-02-2012, 02:43 AM
I think I found the other guy Al Trautwig's twitter acct, I'm going to tweet him. well, I'm gonna try, I'm not really a twitter kind of person, not sure how to do it :lol:.

lalaland
09-02-2012, 02:47 AM
OMG, Luke Jensen just told that Al guy that's how Gilles usually played. I mean, C'mon, what an idiot.

GilleSimonAddict
09-02-2012, 02:47 AM
:facepalm:Al guy just admitted to not having seen a lot of Simon before and asked Luke if this is how he always plays and Luke said YES! Uuuuuugh somebody shoot me please and put me out of my misery. :armed:

lalaland
09-02-2012, 02:48 AM
Gilles should just retired, but that's not his style.
Damnit, these commentators are so bad, they truly don't know what they are talking.

GilleSimonAddict
09-02-2012, 02:49 AM
Gilles deserves to be out here and we all knew he wouldn't win and didn't really even stand a chance, but he deserves to be out here on this court under the lights.

lalaland
09-02-2012, 02:50 AM
Somebody kill me, I can't stand hearing Luke Jensen talks anymore.

GilleSimonAddict
09-02-2012, 03:00 AM
It's such a shame that Simon can't even really enjoy himself out here because of how tired he is from having to play so much longer and harder to compensate for his shoulder.

lalaland
09-02-2012, 03:02 AM
I'm a little worry, hopefully he didn't pick up a leg injury too.

Silver.
09-02-2012, 03:04 AM
It's such a shame that Simon can't even really enjoy himself out here because of how tired he is from having to play so much longer and harder to compensate for his shoulder.

I know he looks so sad :awww: I just want to give him a hug and tell him how well he has done :lol:

HAHA. Brilliant, I think Gilles just told the umpire - how could you not see my serve it was so slow?

lalaland
09-02-2012, 03:08 AM
HAHA. Brilliant, I think Gilles just told the umpire - how could you not see my serve it was so slow?

:lol:
Gosh, I love this guy, he still has a sense of humor in this trying time.

lalaland
09-02-2012, 03:12 AM
Srsly, I think it's sucks that this is on Ashe, clueless ppl who never watch Gilles are going to think this is Gilles game (That's right, Luke Jensen, I meant you).

GilleSimonAddict
09-02-2012, 03:17 AM
Srsly, I think it's sucks that this is on Ashe, clueless ppl who never watch Gilles are going to think this is Gilles game (That's right, Luke Jensen, I meant you).

I wouldn't worry about them lala. They won't care or appreciate him either way. This is for us the Simon fans and for Simon himself. He deserves to be here in this moment and be able to say that he had a night match on the largest tennis stadium in the world in New York City at 11PM at night.

lalaland
09-02-2012, 03:25 AM
I wouldn't worry about them lala. They won't care or appreciate him either way. This is for us the Simon fans and for Simon himself. He deserves to be here in this moment and be able to say that he had a night match on the largest tennis stadium in the world in New York City at 11PM at night.

With all the hardships he has to endure to get himself here, it's just unfair that he has to be ridiculed by those clueless commentators.

lalaland
09-02-2012, 03:27 AM
Fish is the real idiot, can't even beat the 50% Gilles.

lalaland
09-02-2012, 03:29 AM
I'm not enjoying this match at all. I mean, the past 2 matches were tough to watch, but at least I can concentrate on watching and feel the agony. So far, I'm so distracted that I hardly can pay attention. Damn!

GilleSimonAddict
09-02-2012, 03:29 AM
With all the hardships he has to endure to get himself here, it's just unfair that he has to be ridiculed by those clueless commentators.

I hear ya. But ultimately screw them. Let's just cheer on Gilles. He's got a chance to even this a set a piece right now.

GilleSimonAddict
09-02-2012, 03:33 AM
I'm clapping so hard for Gilles right now. Look at this beast compete against all odds. Monfils and Gasquet with all do respect, hell even Tsonga could learn a thing or two from him about heart. :clap2::clap2::bigclap:

lalaland
09-02-2012, 03:33 AM
I hear ya. But ultimately screw them. Let's just cheer on Gilles. He's got a chance to even this a set a piece right now.

I wish I can get a hug from you. I wanna cry watching this, seriously, I'm so upset.

misty1
09-02-2012, 03:35 AM
i was terrified after that first set he'd just get mauled but he's competing well and i am so proud of him right now

haters can say and think what they want , gillou deserves credit here, even if fish is playing poorly

GilleSimonAddict
09-02-2012, 03:36 AM
I wish I can get a hug from you. I wanna cry watching this, seriously, I'm so upset.

:hug: Hope that helps. At least we know now that Gilles won't get routed in straight sets.

GilleSimonAddict
09-02-2012, 03:39 AM
i am so proud of him right now

haters can say and think what they want , gillou deserves credit here, even if fish is playing poorly

Amen to that. I think i'm more proud in this moment right now to be a Simon fan than i've ever been. He's fought hard. Whatever happens happens, but I love this guy and his heart, passion, will and never say die fight.

Silver.
09-02-2012, 03:39 AM
I close my eyes for 20 minutes and he takes the set! Maybe I should just go to bed ;) or keep napping and checking the score? Perhaps the best way to watch this match reading your guys comments? :lol:

Also, VERY proud of him right now.

lalaland
09-02-2012, 03:44 AM
:hug: Hope that helps. At least we know now that Gilles won't get routed in straight sets.

Thanks.

I'm extremely proud of him too. He's one tough cookie.

Silver.
09-02-2012, 03:47 AM
This is so odd to watch! I have no idea what emotion to feel! I feel like crying because he looks in pain! I'm cheering because he's winning points. Cringing every time he grabs his legs. Puzzled at Mardy's play :lol:

TennisFan2012
09-02-2012, 03:55 AM
Gimelstob (on Tennis Channel in US) is finally figuring out that Simon's serve is nothing like his usual--he pointed out that Simon typically will "pop" a few at 120 MPH. I'm not sure how long it will take him to conclude that Simon's shoulder is injured. Can't they get an intern to do some research on the internet to clue these guys in? At least Justin knows more than Courier and the other commentator how atypical this performance is.

Silver.
09-02-2012, 03:55 AM
Lucky net cord :sadface:

GilleSimonAddict
09-02-2012, 03:59 AM
Gimelstob (on Tennis Channel in US) is finally figuring out that Simon's serve is nothing like his usual--he pointed out that Simon typically will "pop" a few at 120 MPH. I'm not sure how long it will take him to conclude that Simon's shoulder is injured. Can't they get an intern to do some research on the internet to clue these guys in? At least Justin knows more than Courier and the other commentator how atypical this performance is.

I know right? How ignorant do these guys have to be to think that Gilles always serves and plays like this. Like he could be ranked as high as 6 in the world and currently 17 by serving 90mph first serves and 80mph second serves. C'mon guys :rolleyes:

lalaland
09-02-2012, 04:00 AM
One thing I'm definitely laughing, Gilles is so smart he can play to make his opponent looks dumb and unsure, looking at Fish, totally out of the water. Still remember he won that match in Bercy on 1 leg, inspirational stuff.

lalaland
09-02-2012, 04:02 AM
I know right? How ignorant do these guys have to be to think that Gilles always serves and plays like this. Like he could be ranked as high as 6 in the world and currently 17 by serving 90mph first serves and 80mph second serves. C'mon guys :rolleyes:

Indeed. After 2.5 sets serving like this and Jensen still haven't figure out something is wrong, a complete idiot.

GilleSimonAddict
09-02-2012, 04:04 AM
Speaks alot to Gilles' talent too. I mean look what he's been able to accomplish at well less than 50%. That's just how good of a natural athlete and tennis pro he is. These journymen ranked outside of the top 100 would love to possess the amount of talent Gilles has at under 50%. It's pretty amazing actually.

Silver.
09-02-2012, 04:10 AM
Two amazing returns and brilliant defense!

Silver.
09-02-2012, 04:15 AM
CHEERING SO HARD RIGHT NOW :cheerleader:

Silver.
09-02-2012, 04:32 AM
le poussin is in le poisson's head :lol:

GilleSimonAddict
09-02-2012, 04:36 AM
Oh man. That one hurt. :sad:

GilleSimonAddict
09-02-2012, 04:37 AM
That's probably the match right there. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a blow out fourth set, but you know what, it doesn't matter. Gilles has been fantastic. :worship:

rtgy
09-02-2012, 04:38 AM
Oh man. That one hurt. :sad:

:hug:

lalaland
09-02-2012, 04:40 AM
I so don't mind if Gilles lets it go. He's done enough.

GilleSimonAddict
09-02-2012, 04:40 AM
:hug:

Thanx :)

lalaland
09-02-2012, 04:42 AM
I hope someone tells Jensen tomorrow how hurt Gilles is playing this match, so he will realize what a complete idiot he is.

lalaland
09-02-2012, 04:46 AM
Damn Gilles, please don't keep hurting yourself. You look in so much pain. :sad:

lalaland
09-02-2012, 04:47 AM
He's really hurting now, he's not even bother to run for balls.

lalaland
09-02-2012, 04:56 AM
Srsly, I want the match to end right now. I don't want him getting more hurt. He needs to think about the rest of the season.

GilleSimonAddict
09-02-2012, 05:02 AM
It's ok Simon. You have nothing to feel bad about. I would say his desire to stay stateside and play the US Open was a rousing success given the circumstance. He deserved this moment and he still made this a decent match on the grand stage of tennis late night in NYC. Bravo Gilles!

lalaland
09-02-2012, 05:11 AM
Thank you Gilles, for toughing it out in this tournament. You are amazing. :worship::worship::worship:

GilleSimonAddict
09-02-2012, 05:14 AM
Here here. Gilles you are the man! Sexy, gutsy, humble and a whole lot more. The NYC crowd gave him a pretty good pop when he left. Good for them.

lalaland
09-02-2012, 05:44 AM
Btw, :aparty::cheerleader::bdaycake::aparty::clap2: Happy birthday Timothee. Hope you have a great year; celebrates the birthday like crazy with your fantastic daddy (and lovely mommy).

MsTree
09-02-2012, 07:31 AM
Poor Gilles! I thought I would have the match recorded but Sky let me down - reading your comments though it sounded painful. Hope he rests up now and has some quality time with Carine and Timothee :D

Gillouthe best
09-02-2012, 08:22 AM
What a great fight from Gilles :bowdown:. He deserves to enjoy Timothee's birtthday now.

misty1
09-02-2012, 12:04 PM
to bad gilles:sad: but great effort, now rest up

probably best that he didnt run into federer in this condition anyway

TennisFan2012
09-02-2012, 03:20 PM

Exactly! They did finally figure it out, but not before another thing was said that, if true, would trouble me if I were Mardy Fish. One of them claimed (in the 3rd or 4th set) that Mardy would have no way of knowing this was the type of serving he would face, though another said that by this point in the match he should have been able to adjust his game accordingly. But why wouldn't Mark Knowles, his coach, or someone else on his team have scouted Gilles' prior matches or at LEAST looked at the match statistics? Gilles was injured before entering this tournament, and it has affected his serving in all of the prior rounds. Scouting is an important part of the job.

TennisFan2012
09-02-2012, 03:22 PM
to bad gilles:sad: but great effort, now rest up

probably best that he didnt run into federer in this condition anyway

Totally agree. I hope he didn't do any long term damage and can now enjoy some time off.

lalaland
09-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Exactly! They did finally figure it out, but not before another thing was said that, if true, would trouble me if I were Mardy Fish. One of them claimed (in the 3rd or 4th set) that Mardy would have no way of knowing this was the type of serving he would face, though another said that by this point in the match he should have been able to adjust his game accordingly. But why wouldn't Mark Knowles, his coach, or someone else on his team have scouted Gilles' prior matches or at LEAST looked at the match statistics? Gilles was injured before entering this tournament, and it has affected his serving in all of the prior rounds. Scouting is an important part of the job.

It's really shocking that in this modern day sports, they don't bother to scout their opponent. I mean, they don't even need to go to his match, just read the stat page before the match and they would have find out Gilles' been serving subpar. Besides, Mardy has no excuse either, how many sets does he need to finally realize that he can take advantage of Gilles' serve? Then again, Gilles' serves were slow, but maybe they aren't that attackable? I don't know, I'm just a bit shocked that he played all these 13 sets serving at 90m/h and no one seems to have a clue that they should attack his serve, so while I think his 3 opponents should get the credit of being clueless, Gilles should also get the credit for making his serves not attackable, however he did that.

These 3 matches were really painful to watch. But at the end of the day, not only that I'm really proud of Gilles' fight, I'm also once again amazed by his resourcefulness. Half of his means got taken away and he still finds a way to win. I just hope after this he realizes that he is really special and that he can take confidence in his ability. And when he's healthy again, he can finally feel good about himself and play to his full potential.

lalaland
09-02-2012, 06:10 PM
From L'Equipe:

Simon au bout de lui-même
Mardy Fish a fini par arracher la victoire dans ce troisième tour face à un Gilles Simon qui a tout donné malgré les douleurs (6-1, 5-7, 7-6(5), 6-3).

Gilles Simon a dépassé toutes les attentes face à Mardy Fish, mais ça n'a pas suffi. Blessé à l'épaule en arrivant sur le tournoi, vainqueur de deux premiers tours aux airs de marathon, le Français avait peur de prendre «une grosse rouste» lors de ce troisième tour. Il a finalement lutté, et perdu, en quatre manches (6-1, 5-7, 7-6(5), 6-3 et 3h03' de jeu). «Au début il n'y avait pas de match, a constaté Simon. Cela partait mal et puis finalement il y a eu combat, c'est déjà ça. Il s'est énervé et a mis du temps à retrouver une belle attitude et ça a failli tourner même si le chemin était encore long, mais il est parvenu à se reprendre dans le jeu décisif. J'ai tout donné.»

75. Mardy Fish a en effet terminé cette rencontre en vainqueur avec 75 fautes directes (pour 67 coups gagnants). Et il est quasiment impossible d'expliquer comment son niveau de jeu a pu sombrer à ce point à partir de 6-1, 2-0 pour lui. Quand Simon a arraché le deuxième set, il a fallu se pincer. Quand il s'est retrouvé en tête dans le jeu décisif du troisième (3-1) en retrouvant du jus et en tirant des passings en bout de course de folie, on était au bord de l'exploit. Mais un coup droit dans le filet a donné deux balles de set à l'Américain, qui a fini par retrouver le calme envolé depuis si longtemps pour poser une volée libératrice.
Fish au bord de la rupture
L'affaire était bouclée. Epuisé pour de bon cette fois, Simon a fini par craquer en lâchant son service à 4-3. Un service aux moyennes terriblement basses (150 km/h de moyenne) mais que Fish a pourtant eu toutes les peines du monde à retourner. Les fusibles au bord de la rupture, le physique qui a aussi commencé à coincer et, surtout, un sens tactique absent contre un joueur qui ne pouvait quasiment rien lui opposer et qui passait son temps à étirer des jambes à l'agonie : Fish a failli se battre tout seul.

Mais la vaillance de Gilles Simon est à saluer tant beaucoup d'autres auraient baissé les bras en se sentant si diminués. Lui a tout donné, jusqu'à la dernière goutte de sueur, sous les yeux notamment d'Arnaud Clément son capitaine de Coupe Davis. «Je me sentais mieux dans le troisième, a expliqué le Français, mais ensuite je n'avais plus rien. J'étais bien rentré dans son cerveau pourtant et je le tenais tactiquement. En plus à la fin du match il me dit qu'il ne savait pas que j'étais blessé à l'épaule (rires). Mais bon j'ai fait ce que j'ai pu, c'était juste trop dur.» A Fish désormais d'enchaîner sur Roger Federer pour une place en quarts. Ce match terminé peu après 1h du matin et au bord des crampes a bien fait les affaires du n°1 mondial.

__________________________________________________ __________________

This is L'Equipe the paper version.

Simon, plein le dos

Malgré un service de moineau, le numéro 3 français a failli surprendre un Fish valide, lui, mais obtus (6-1, 5-7, 7-6, 6-3).

CETTE RENCONTRE s’est jouée à l’heure du laitier, dimanche en France. Que les lève-tôt dominicaux branchés sur ce match se rassurent. S’ils n’ont pas bien compris le scénario, nous non plus, et pas plus Gilles Simon. Le natif de Nice fut tout surpris de se retrouver à 4-3 dans le tie-break du troisième set, avec le hold-up de la semaine en point de mire. Il avait commencé par perdre cinq de ses sept premiers jeux de service, avant de tenir d’une façon incompréhensible les douze suivants. Laissons-lui la parole : « Fish s’est embourbé tout seul. Incroyable, il n’avait même pas remarqué que je n’arrivais pas à servir. Personne ne lui avait racontémes deux matches précédents. Je n’en reviens pas. Il ne m’a mis aucune pression en retour de service. Alors, dans le troisième, ç’a bien failli tourner en ma faveur. » Incroyable en effet de voir Fish, excellent volleyeur et encore top 10 en mai dernier, incapable de résoudre une équation avec une inconnue bien connue. Il resta dans une filière de fond de court qui était la seule à convenirau Français. Ce dernier galopa dans tous les sens pour amener l’Américain à la faute : 75 fautes directes au total. À 4-3 dans le tie-break, Fish eut un éclair de lucidité et réussit un service-volée. Il enchaîna par un ace puis Simon commit une faute directe de coup droit fatale. Le mirage venait de se dissiper d’un coup : pas de hold-up. Les rares spectateurs noyés en cette heure fort tardive, « around midnight », dans l’immense arène du court Arthur-Ashe, purent saluer le soulagement de leur compatriote. À deux sets à un, Simon n’avait plus les moyens de batailler encore pendant deux manches pour compenser sa première balle indigente (150 km/h de moyenne). Malgré cette épaule douloureuse, l’empêchant de bien lever le bras au service, il avait survécu face aux limites du vétéran Russell au premier tour, puis devant l’inexpérience du qualifié formosan Wang. Mais c’était un peu trop face à un Fish, même aussi peu clairvoyant. C’est à se demander si son entraîneur, Mark Knowles, l’ancien numéro 1 de double, a trop fait les soldes du Labor Day avant de lui donner cette tactique attentiste aberrante. Pour le Français, il n’est plus question de tactique, ni de technique. Il faut guérir cette douleur à l’épaule. « Je vais recevoir une infiltration et, a priori, avec du repos, je pourrai à nouveau jouer sans problème au tournoi de Bangkok ( dans trois semaines). » Il était plus que temps de mettre un terme à cette tournée nord américaine marquée par une élimination d’emblée à Toronto, un forfait à Cincinnati et ces trois matches de bras cassé à New York. – P. Co.

...will have the infiltration, and then rest, can play without problems in Bangkok...
(Let's hope so).

GilleSimonAddict
09-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Well, it looks like even though Simon lost, he was able to get his licks in and do some damage to Fish as well because he's had to withdraw today from his match against Federer sighting fatigue and health concerns so Federer gets a walkover.

Nothing against Fish, but good for Simon for fighting his heart out injured and taking the other guy down with him. :devil:

mike s.
09-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Unfortunately I had to miss the match but it sounds like he gave an admirable effort. Congrats on a great effort this tournament Gilles, rest up, and hopefully come back stronger in the fall.

GilleSimonAddict
09-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Ok guys, a little bit of late retribution for our boy Gilles Simon. There is currently a rain delay going on today and they are going back and showing the Fish Simon match replay on ESPN2 but with live new commentary by Chris Fowler and John McEnroe. They once again even after the fact and the match being over and the press conferences given didn't know about Simon's shoulder injury or why he was playing the way he was and started once again poo pooing his game and mocking his 1st and 2nd serves. Even though it was all over and done with, it still got me fired up and steamed once again so I took action this time.

So, I knew that Chris Fowler was a very active social media guy and uses twitter and checks it often even during the commercial breaks and I follow him on twitter so I hopped on twitter and read him the right act and explained to him what was actually wrong with Simon and why he was serving and playing the way he was.

These were my tweets to him:

@cbfowler You & John McEnroe's commentary on the rain delay replay of Fish Simon is ridiculous. How could you not know about Simon's injury

@cbfowler Instead of ridiculing Simon for serving 90mph serves how about giving him credit for competing with a shoulder tear?

@cbfowler He is having to get infiltration now and will be out 3 weeks. I know he's not American but at least get the facts on the guy.

@cbfowler He deserves credit for winning his 1st 2 rounds on shear wil, grit & determination & not for throwing in the towel like others do

@cbfowler He's had this injury since after the Olympics. Lost 1st round Toronto; Couldn't play in Cincinnati & decided to give US Open a go

@cbfowler & the reason why Simon is looking exhausted & stretching his legs is because he had to win his 1st two rounds with no serve

@cbfowler He never once called 4 trainer either even though he could've. But of course let's mock the guy's serve & playing tactics instead

And sure enough, Chris Fowler checked his twitter. This was his response during the 1st commercial break after I had tweeted him those tweets:

I think playing with a shoulder "tear" is really unwise, if that's what it is. We are not mocking him, btw. We've complimented.

So then when they came back from commercial break they started singing a different tune about Simon and started talking about the shoulder injury and how Simon had lost 1st round in Toronto and pulled out of Cincinnati and that he was showing a lot of heart. Fowler of course didn't make any mention of where he got that info from ;) but I don't really care nor want the credit, I just wanted the truth to come out for anybody who might have been watching this replay. Nobody better trash our guy or they will be sorry. :)

lalaland
09-04-2012, 10:37 PM
OMG, they are so clueless. I swear I heard someone in the commentator booth yesterday already said Gilles has an injury. But sure enough, still no one besides that person catch on. Not even they don't do research, they don't even listen to each other's talks.

And, GilleSimonAddict :worship::worship::worship:

I remember now, that person is Gimelsob. When he was reporting to that whoever guy about Fish's withdrawal, he mentioned that he played an injured Simon. That's about it. So I guess the other commentators didn't listen to his report.

lalaland
09-04-2012, 11:03 PM
I just turned on the ESPN3 feed, Gilles serving for 2nd set. And JMac said "it's understandable for Fish, players don't practice returning slow serves..." :lol:. Well, why those guys bother to serve at 140 when the 90 serve is even harder to return...

mike s.
09-05-2012, 12:34 AM
I know, it's so annoying that people think he usually plays that way :rolleyes:

Sure, he can be defensive at times but a player who's been in the top 20 for four of the last five years doesn't just roll in 90 mph serves and tap groundstrokes over the net with no variation.

Anyway, thanks GilleSimonAddict, I wanted to do the exact same thing but don't have twitter so I couldn't respond but I'm glad someone else did!

Just wanted to add that Chris Fowler usually isn't so bad about Gilles, it's McEnroe that has a real problem with Gilles and any players that aren't in your face after every point.

lalaland
09-05-2012, 06:14 AM
So I watched that replay on espn3...got all boiled up again the first 5 mins listening to these ppl, :lol:. I know, masochistic that I am. First they call him non-French, saying when he played Fish at RG, they wonder who the French crowd cheered for (I mean, huh? they think the French will ever cheer for Fish? Are they insane? I still have that match on file to show them who the French cheered for). They think Monfils plays with a lot of flair (if you call push push push then a circus jump to retrieve a ball "flair", then I guess he does). And then they said Simon gives trouble to the likes of Federer and Murray. What? have they ever watch Gilles played Andy the last 9 times? These ppl talked out of their asses, it's a shame that we can't talk back to tell them how stupid they are, no one holds them accountable for not having a clue.

I said it before, I say it again, I can't stand the American commentators, they like showboating, they like big servers, they love power, they don't respect anything else. Don't think the likes of Courier's ever appreciated as much even winning 4 slams in his time). I like the Brit commentators, most of them appreciate what Gilles brings to the table that not many is able to offer (the throw back game, not just over-powering everything). Last year USO the match Gilles played DelPo, the US commentary was so horribly against Gilles. Fortunately, I got the torrent that is from Sky (or maybe Eurosports) for the first 3.5 sets and it was a very pleasant match to watch. And I do have to say, the only American exception is Todd Martin, he knows about the players and he explains the game well. He was explaining the tactics when he commented Gilles' match against GGL last USO, very informative. When you watch on TV from an elevated camera angle, it's hard to see these subtle things like variations of the balls, and if you don't know how things work, it's not possible to watch and figure the tactic yourself (for casual fans I mean). Todd pretty much just walk you through the whole match what Gilles was doing to his opponent. I kinda feel bad for him that he gained that reputation for ruining Nole's serve (and I admit, I didn't like him being Nole's coach too bcos of the result). But I do think he's a good coach, because he really explains thing very well, he is a very smart guy.

mike s.
09-05-2012, 02:51 PM
So I watched that replay on espn3...got all boiled up again the first 5 mins listening to these ppl, :lol:. I know, masochistic that I am. First they call him non-French, saying when he played Fish at RG, they wonder who the French crowd cheered for (I mean, huh? they think the French will ever cheer for Fish? Are they insane? I still have that match on file to show them who the French cheered for). They think Monfils plays with a lot of flair (if you call push push push then a circus jump to retrieve a ball "flair", then I guess he does). And then they said Simon gives trouble to the likes of Federer and Murray. What? have they ever watch Gilles played Andy the last 9 times? These ppl talked out of their asses, it's a shame that we can't talk back to tell them how stupid they are, no one holds them accountable for not having a clue.

I said it before, I say it again, I can't stand the American commentators, they like showboating, they like big servers, they love power, they don't respect anything else. Don't think the likes of Courier's ever appreciated as much even winning 4 slams in his time). I like the Brit commentators, most of them appreciate what Gilles brings to the table that not many is able to offer (the throw back game, not just over-powering everything). Last year USO the match Gilles played DelPo, the US commentary was so horribly against Gilles. Fortunately, I got the torrent that is from Sky (or maybe Eurosports) for the first 3.5 sets and it was a very pleasant match to watch. And I do have to say, the only American exception is Todd Martin, he knows about the players and he explains the game well. He was explaining the tactics when he commented Gilles' match against GGL last USO, very informative. When you watch on TV from an elevated camera angle, it's hard to see these subtle things like variations of the balls, and if you don't know how things work, it's not possible to watch and figure the tactic yourself (for casual fans I mean). Todd pretty much just walk you through the whole match what Gilles was doing to his opponent. I kinda feel bad for him that he gained that reputation for ruining Nole's serve (and I admit, I didn't like him being Nole's coach too bcos of the result). But I do think he's a good coach, because he really explains thing very well, he is a very smart guy.

It's infuriating because they don't even try. If he's going to be the feature night match, then why don't you interview him or his coaches before, watch some of his previous matches, or look up his stats? I can't wait until he's healthy again so he can win some big matches and prove these idiots wrong once again.

misty1
09-05-2012, 03:10 PM
honestly it doesnt surprise me how naive they were about his situation

he's not djokovic, federer, nadal, murray, sharapova, williams, azarenka or kvitova so they dont care

MsTree
09-05-2012, 05:36 PM
I have quite a poor opinion of American commentators in general (apart from the ex-players) as they seem to have been recruited from the reject pile from commentators of more "American" sports. Plus they appear to get paid per word for the verbal stream of conciousness stuff and amount of learning on the job they do. But then I'm totally spoilt by the BBC and to a lesser extent by Sky (but not Eurosport!) An excellent channel is English Al Jazeera sport all the best BBC and Sky commentators moonlighting and high quality broadcasts - you'll probably catch a stream of theirs at some point :)
And well done you GilleSimonAddict!!! :hug:

GilleSimonAddict
09-12-2012, 02:19 PM
I was just curious if anybody has come across or found anything out about how Gilles' infiltration went and whether or not he's on track to be back in time for Bangkok which is now just under two weeks away?

TennisFan2012
09-16-2012, 09:43 PM
GilleSimonAddict, great job on the tweets! Fowler should have been a bigger person and should have owned up to both not knowing something he and other on the broadcast should have known about and thanked you for it. But the important thing was that he did read the tweets and it did affect what was said on the air. I'm sorry I haven't heard any updates, in (non-)answer to your question.

MsTree, nearly all of the commentators on the US tennis broadcasts are former players (Gilbert, the McEnroes, Drysdale (who is South African), Evert, Navratilova, Cahill (who is Aus.), Carillo, etc.). So I am not sure to whom you are reacting. The other people who are on some of the broadcasts (like Fowler, Storm, and McAtee) are under contract to cover lots of events on different sports, so the networks are just getting what they think is their money's worth by putting them to work on lots of sporting events, and other than those in coordinating roles who may do an interview or two, these people are there basically to ask questions of people like McEnroe to keep the commentary going. So it's understandable that they will not know as much about players as we'd like. But I think the former players should know about all of the top players and they should be embarrassed to keep spouting misinformation. And IMHO, the networks should definitely get some assistants in there to do research before the matches and prep them.

Not to generalize, but the British commentators who are on the Tennis Channel here are not good.

MsTree
09-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Don't know many names as I'm referring to the nobodies but I can give you Dick Enberg as a prime example of who I'm talking about. He was so annoying and clueless I had to find out who he was. If you've ever watched the American version of the Gilles v Fed match from Toronto 2008 there's another couple of examples right there. The koenig / goodall combo who commentated on that match for ATPworldtour world feed are vastly superior - you wouldn't think it was the same match they were watching! I can assure you that none of the commentators I'm referring to are ex players as even names for basic shots seem to elude some of them. No idea who might be working for TC that's British but if they are from the same pool that work for Eurosport then I'll probably agree with you.
I'm not picking on Americans if that's what you think? Many Americans complain about the same lack of quality on the major networks (with the smaller matches) that annoys me! But I enjoy a lot of American commentary made by posters on MTF - just wish they could get jobs working in that field!!!

TennisFan2012
09-18-2012, 10:43 PM
I can't stand listening to Koenig / Goodall. I don't find them any more knowledgeable than some of the people you are complaining about, and find them tedious and often annoying. So, to each, his or her own.

Dick Enberg (who is now retired) was in the category of the people who were under contract to do lots of different sports. There is no question most of them know little about tennis. But they never (to my knowledge) appear alone on any tennis broadcasts. They are always with a McEnroe or another specialist/former player. It's those people who really should know a lot more about the top players, in my opinion, whether they learn it on their own or have an assistant prepare them.

I'm not inferring that you are picking on anyone--I am just providing some factual information, along with my own subjective opinions. I just think you are painting with a broad brush when you throw a lot of people together in the same category.

lalaland
09-19-2012, 07:49 PM
According to this, Gilles is playing an exhibition match before Bangkok...
http://talkvietnam.com/2012/09/cilbulkova-to-play-in-vietnams-heineken-stars/#.UFof466nfV8

... Cibulkova, who flew in from Canada will be joined by three other world-class tennis stars – Victoria Azarenka of Belarus, Gilles Simon of France and Feliciano Lopez of Spain – to play singles and doubles matches at the one-day event.

Azarenka, Simon and Lopez are expected to arrive in HCM City on September 19.

Well, it will be a light practice before going full force in Bangkok. Hope his shoulder is healed enough, I don't think it can completely heal in such short time, but knowing Gilles, he probably won't miss any tournament now being only 6 more weeks of the season to go. He won't be too happy if he falls off Top 20, me neither.

MsTree
09-19-2012, 09:13 PM
@Tennisfan2012 - Goodall does excellent analysis for various networks and is never less than knowledgable and informative. Each to their own though and thanks for the one fact that Enberg's retired - good news there at least!

Can't believe Gillou's playing an exo :o

lalaland
09-19-2012, 10:15 PM
I love Goodall, he is the best out there IMO. And listening to Goodall and Koenig is like listening to Sherwin & Liggett in cycling, also IMO.

Can't believe Gillou's playing an exo :o
:lol: He has a kid to feed :p

mike s.
09-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Well, I guess it's ok to test out the shoulder before actual tournament play but I hope he's not rushing back. Either way, good to see he's healthy enough to play. Can't wait until he plays a real tournament again.

lalaland
09-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Gilles lost to Feli in 3rd set TB: 6-4, 5-7, 2-10. Can't win a TB even in exo :p.
Getting ready for Bangkok.

http://tapchitre.com/sport/azarenka-toan-thang-trong-cac-tran-thi-dau-tai-viet-nam-20120920101835504.tct

GilleSimonAddict
09-21-2012, 01:26 AM
Well it's good that he's back to playing already. I guess that means everything went well. I wonder what his serve speed was in the match? I doubt he's back to serving full speed yet but hopefully it hurts much less if at all now when he does serve.

Gillouthe best
09-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Bangkok draw:

(1) Tipsarevic vs Bye
Qualifier vs Haase
Young vs Lu
Ito vs (5) Verdasco

(4) Simon vs Bye
(WC) Udomchoke vs Soeda
Monfils vs Qualifier
Stakhovsky vs (6) Troicki

Gilles has usually played well on Bangkok, and he should win his 1st match ( unless he plays really bad like in Oz vs Udomchoke), but Monfils in QF could be really tough if Gael plays like in Metz. If he gets to SF's everything is possible as he has good H2H vs Tipsa, a final would be much to ask for, but not looking ahead from R2, just hope his shoulder problems are over and he can play 100% :).

mike s.
09-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Bangkok draw:

(1) Tipsarevic vs Bye
Qualifier vs Haase
Young vs Lu
Ito vs (5) Verdasco

(4) Simon vs Bye
(WC) Udomchoke vs Soeda
Monfils vs Qualifier
Stakhovsky vs (6) Troicki

Gilles has usually played well on Bangkok, and he should win his 1st match ( unless he plays really bad like in Oz vs Udomchoke), but Monfils in QF could be really tough if Gael plays like in Metz. If he gets to SF's everything is possible as he has good H2H vs Tipsa, a final would be much to ask for, but not looking ahead from R2, just hope his shoulder problems are over and he can play 100% :).

Agree with everything here. Happy to see Monfils back and healthy but hopefully he's tired from his run and doesn't play as well here because their matches are always tough :p. Anyway, good luck Gilles, it's most important that he stays healthy here!

misty1
09-22-2012, 02:00 PM
the draw is..okay. Gael is actually one of the frenchies he actually has a good record against isnt he? oh well, one match at a time

lalaland
09-23-2012, 06:07 AM
Last time he played Udomchoke, he lost 2 sets out of the first 3 sets. He could very well lose to Udomchoke in a best of 3 here in Udomchoke's home turf. So who knows if it's a good draw or not. But anyway, best of luck Gilles, just win some matches.

ib4mtf
09-23-2012, 02:09 PM
gilles also plays double with gael ; first opponents : verdasco/marrero

lalaland
09-23-2012, 08:55 PM
gilles also plays double with gael ; first opponents : verdasco/marrero

Cool. Net practice.
They weren't on the entry list, but I guess they sign up on site.

Allez Gilles/Gael.

lalaland
09-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Team Gilles/Gael play 1st Round tomorrow at Court 1 not before 5pm. Do they stream Court 1? probably not. Oh well. Good luck to the Frenchies.

MsTree
09-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Allez!!! :cheerleader:

mike s.
09-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Well they lost 6-0, 6-1 :lol:

I'm not sure this Gilles and Gael pairing will ever work out. Hopefully they had fun and got some practice in

Gillouthe best
09-25-2012, 03:33 PM
:lol: ,I only remember them winning a doubles match in Hamburg 2011.

lalaland
09-25-2012, 05:10 PM
:lol: bagel and stick.

Well, Gilles and Gael probably laugh all the way thru the match, and still laughing after (@ their own scoreline :p).

Yes, at least he got some practice. Won't play his single match until thurs.

GilleSimonAddict
09-25-2012, 07:50 PM
I know he likes Gael as a friend, but Chardy seems to be the doubles partner he works best with. I know he wasn't at this event, but whenever he's available, he should stick with him because there is just no doubles chemistry between these two.

BlueLighthouse
09-26-2012, 03:34 AM
I watched Gilles/Gael for first 3 games. They were unwatchable I had to walk out :P They chatted ALL THE TIME, before they served, before the opponent served, after each point, during breaks and they chatted for a LONGGGG time after the match until a fan escaping security, running on to the court towards them. So yeah, they were having good time catching up.

lalaland
09-26-2012, 04:10 AM
LOL.

It's the first tournament they both in since Nice, must have a lot to catch up.

I would love to watch them chat the whole match :lol:

lalaland
09-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Tomorrow OOP:
COURT 1 Start 12:00 noon
[4] Gilles Simon (FRA) v Go Soeda (JPN)

Court 1 :rolleyes: no stream

Allez Gilles.

Gillouthe best
09-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Allez Gilles against Soeda! Hope he's fully fit and can play 100%

lalaland
09-27-2012, 07:07 AM
He won 6-4, 6-4.

I wonder if Blue got to see the match. If you do, Blue, please let us know how fast has he been serving?

Based on the stat...only winning 62% of his first serve, is not a good stat. I think his healthy first serve normally wins a much higher % than this. Not sure what to think. But I guess we'll find out tomorrow when he plays his next match.

Allez Gilles.

GilleSimonAddict
09-27-2012, 07:16 AM
Yay! :yippee: Just popped on the computer to check the scoreboard and saw that he had won. Hopefully everything feels fine with the shoulder tomorrow after this match today. That'll be the real test of how the shoulder is coming along after the infiltration.

mike s.
09-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Congrats Gilles! His first serve winning percentage is 69% for the year so it's definitely a little bit off his normal percentage.

mike s.
09-27-2012, 01:12 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/8113633/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

He said, ""I don't get any easy points, I have to fight every point form the baseline.

"I'm not serving my best and that makes life difficult. I'm just happy to get through. My shoulder is slowly getting better, but I must continue to play this way for now."

I don't understand why he doesn't just take a couple more weeks off then and come back completely healthy in Europe. Oh well, I guess he can pick up some points but it just seems stupid and without any coach now no one will tell him no.

Gillouthe best
09-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Good win Gilles :yeah: , hope his shoulder keeps getting better.

MsTree
09-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Allez!!! :cheerleader:

lalaland
09-27-2012, 06:26 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/8113633/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

He said, ""I don't get any easy points, I have to fight every point form the baseline.

"I'm not serving my best and that makes life difficult. I'm just happy to get through. My shoulder is slowly getting better, but I must continue to play this way for now."

I don't understand why he doesn't just take a couple more weeks off then and come back completely healthy in Europe. Oh well, I guess he can pick up some points but it just seems stupid and without any coach now no one will tell him no.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I thought the shoulder won't just heal in such short time, and Gilles is not one who likes to be sidelined so he'll play even if it hurts. However, it's not necessarily a bad thing. I had read some other players said to keep playing with a torn sth because the activity is good for the process, it could be the case. (Then again, if Gilles had said that I wouldn't have believed him, but somebody else said that is somehow more credible to me :p). And without Tutu probably makes no difference since he doesn't listen to Tutu anyway :p. Well, okay, don't take me too seriously. I felt frustrated with all the news today. I mean, he said he wants to travel alone from now on, no entourage. How about that physio that he most definitely needs? What is he thinking now? Ok, I did read this http://www.rtl.fr/actualites/sport/tennis/article/tennis-gilles-simon-une-envie-profonde-d-etre-seul-7752921538 I get it somewhat. But still, I disoriented and becoming incoherent...:lol:

BlueLighthouse
09-27-2012, 07:31 PM
What ?
he said he wants to travel alone from now on, no entourage

I still saw Tutu today at Gilles' match.

Wrt the match vs Soeda. His serves were not too hot but baseline game were very solid. Their games are similar but Soeda was making more mistakes in 2nd set. I also follow Soeda sometimes, he tends to be exhausted and spraying errors if the match gets too long. The key of the match was when Gilles' holding after spending more than 10 min. towards the end of Set 1 (I can't remember which game) and Soeda was broken afterwards.

In Set 2, the score were closer than the game actually was. Gilles held more comfortably while Soeda took more risks and gave away some points.

Gillouthe best
09-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Allez Gilles against Monfils! For sure it will be tough, hope he serves better.

GilleSimonAddict
09-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Tomorrow's OOP:

Center Court 12PM - Gilles Simon v Gael Monfils

It's gonna be a tough one without his serve, but good luck Gilou! :cheerleader:

GilleSimonAddict
09-28-2012, 06:07 AM
Well Gilles has taken the first set over Gael. Just from what i've seen so far for the first time since the US Open, he is serving much faster now. He's still missing a lot of first serves, but the pace is a lot quicker and he is no longer just rolling it in which is good.

Nagyovafan
09-28-2012, 06:11 AM
Aaaaand broken right away in the second set lol

GilleSimonAddict
09-28-2012, 06:36 AM
I'm pretty impressed. Gilles has an intense look of focus on his face and really looks like he's on a mission from which he can't and won't be stopped to win this tournament for Tulasne. None of Gael's antics seem to be getting to him or bothering him. He's just going on about his business.

MsTree
09-28-2012, 06:42 AM
:cheerleader: allez!!! :D

GilleSimonAddict
09-28-2012, 06:46 AM
Gilles looked pretty good. Really hit the ball well during the rallies without a lot of unforced errors. 1st serve is still spotty and a bit of a liability, but at least he isn't just rolling it in anymore which was really causing him problems from the start of the point before.

It's not going to get any easier with either Janko or Fernando in the semis, but considering how he played and looked so focused today, i'm optimistic about his chances to maybe get through to the final.

Gillouthe best
09-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Another great win for Gilles :woohoo: , 3-1 H2H vs Gael.