2012 Hardcourt all the way! 100% going forward! Hopefully. [Archive] - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

2012 Hardcourt all the way! 100% going forward! Hopefully.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

mike s.
05-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Gilles :rolleyes: It seems as if he's never going to get to the top 10 again.

You almost have to laugh at how bad he is in tiebreaks and serving out sets. Oh well, at least he fought against a player who is a tough match-up for him. Now pull out of Nice and rest please!

Gilloulou
05-17-2012, 01:11 PM
expected but still sad. how come he cant close the set. and besides, why is he having such problems against Ferrer is beyond me...

GilleSimonAddict
05-17-2012, 01:18 PM
expected but still sad. how come he cant close the set. and besides, why is he having such problems against Ferrer is beyond me...

Pretty much lack of confidence and belief in himself during the big moments is really what it comes down to. That's pretty much the case for the difference between the top 5 vs the rest of the top 15 or so as well. If Gilles can get over his fear of the moment again he can definitely be somewhere between 10 and 6 I think.

TennisFan2012
05-17-2012, 02:43 PM
There is no shame in losing to Ferrer on clay. Almost without exception, the only people who beat him on that surface are the elite 3. He is one tough player.

mike s.
05-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Now Murray goes out to Gasquet, Gilles wouldn't have even had to play Murray if he had won. :mad:

lalaland
05-17-2012, 04:52 PM
There is no shame in losing to Ferrer on clay. Almost without exception, the only people who beat him on that surface are the elite 3.

elite 3, and Bellucci.
Well, no shame, except it's a shame that he really don't seem to believe that he can beat him, which is hard to understand. Because he didn't play Rafa like this in MC, and isn't Rafa even harder to beat?

Now Murray goes out to Gasquet, Gilles wouldn't have even had to play Murray if he had won. :mad:

Gilles has never beaten Richard on the main tour in 5 try, so it's not like there's a golden opportunity in front of him.

I'm beginning to think that he's afraid of getting back to Top 10 and the pressure that comes with it. He's 5 pts away last time and 10 pts this time, he needs to want it more to make it.

misty1
05-17-2012, 10:45 PM
well im disappointed but at least he made the second set tight. After the first one i was afraid of a 6-0, 6-2 like score

lalaland
05-18-2012, 05:24 AM
In the paper:

BATTU 6-0, 7-6 (5) par David Ferrer, Gilles Simon a été absent au premier set, et trop court au second, bien qu’il ait servi deux fois pour le set. « Je n’avais pas beaucoup d’énergie, dit-il. Ç’a été très dur d’entrer dans ce match, puis très dur de finir. Àchaque fois qu’il aurait fallu mettre un peu plus d’intensité et de jambes, j’étais trop juste. J’ai réussi à trouver un peu de relâchement au début du second set après avoir gagné mon premier jeu, ce qui m’a permis de le tenir un peu mieux. Mais face à lui, il faut être à fond. J’ai servi deux fois pour le second set, mais j’ai concédé les deux jeux blancs à chaque fois. Aujourd’hui, j’ai fait de belles choses, dos au mur, mais on ne peut pas gagner un match de tennis en étant dos au mur tout le temps. Il y a un moment où on est devant et où il faut savoir finir. C’était ma limite du jour. »

Well, not much energy again, which I already know, since I watched the match. Was hoping that he'll mention sth about next week, whether he's playing or not, but nothing. C'mon Gilles, have some sense, just rest up next week, (although I have a feeling that he won't).

lalaland
05-18-2012, 06:50 PM
http://www.welovetennis.fr/atp-nice/48974-simon-forfait

This is reporting that he injured his ankle and will skip Nice.
Richard also injured his ankle and is going to skip Nice. So I hope ankle injury is a default injury that they use. Anyhow, just happy that he's resting next week, if this report is correct.

soulage
05-18-2012, 08:47 PM
All this concern Gasquet ;) Gilles is still playing Nice what I found quite useless tbh.

lalaland
05-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Ya, I was a little skeptical about the report since they sited the same injury for Gilles and Richard. So he's still in? Argh, why can't he just rest, damnit.

-------

Now, the link I posted led to an error page. I guess they figure out the report is wrong and pulled it. I guess that confirms it. :(

soulage
05-19-2012, 08:29 AM
Yes all this was about Richard but maybe Gilles will skip it's written in l'equipe for exemple. Wait the draw at noon to see.

lalaland
05-19-2012, 06:15 PM
He didn't skip :facepalm:. Oh well.

John Isner USA [1] has a Bye
Xavier Malisse BEL vs. Yen-Hsun Lu TPE
Nikolay Davydenko RUS vs. Matthew Ebden AUS
Alejandro Falla COL vs. Denis Istomin UZB [7]

Gaël Monfils FRA [4/WC] has a Bye
Q vs. Sergiy Stakhovsky UKR
Mikhail Kukushkin KAZ vs. Q
Lukas Lacko SVK vs. Bernard Tomic AUS [5]

Fabio Fognini ITA [8] vs. Steve Darcis BEL
Filippo Volandri ITA vs. Olivier Rochus BEL
Edouard Roger-Vasselin FRA vs. Benoit Paire FRA [WC]
Nicolas Almagro ESP [3] has a Bye

Robin Haase NED [6] vs. Juan Carlos Ferrero ESP [WC]
Q vs. Donald Young USA
Dudi Sela ISR vs. Q
Gilles Simon FRA [2] has a Bye

The draw is not bad, in the sense that there's worthy player to lose to, maybe he'll go out to JCF? hope so. Sorry Gilles, can't cheer for you for your own good, you don't need to play til the weekend.

soulage
05-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Still think it's quite stupid to play here while he was tired in Rome :rolleyes: I hope no regrets in RG for him

Stronga23
05-20-2012, 01:04 AM
He didn't skip :facepalm:. Oh well.

John Isner USA [1] has a Bye
Xavier Malisse BEL vs. Yen-Hsun Lu TPE
Nikolay Davydenko RUS vs. Matthew Ebden AUS
Alejandro Falla COL vs. Denis Istomin UZB [7]

Gaël Monfils FRA [4/WC] has a Bye
Q vs. Sergiy Stakhovsky UKR
Mikhail Kukushkin KAZ vs. Q
Lukas Lacko SVK vs. Bernard Tomic AUS [5]

Fabio Fognini ITA [8] vs. Steve Darcis BEL
Filippo Volandri ITA vs. Olivier Rochus BEL
Edouard Roger-Vasselin FRA vs. Benoit Paire FRA [WC]
Nicolas Almagro ESP [3] has a Bye

Robin Haase NED [6] vs. Juan Carlos Ferrero ESP [WC]
Q vs. Donald Young USA
Dudi Sela ISR vs. Q
Gilles Simon FRA [2] has a Bye

The draw is not bad, in the sense that there's worthy player to lose to, maybe he'll go out to JCF? hope so. Sorry Gilles, can't cheer for you for your own good, you don't need to play til the weekend.

Gilles and Gael ruining their RG chances :sad:

GilleSimonAddict
05-20-2012, 04:24 AM
I don't know. I guess I have a different take on it. I'm more of a realist about it all and I think the best chance (depending on the draw of course) that Gilles will ever really have at RG is a quarterfinal appearance. There's just too many great players to have to try and beat best 3 out of 5 like Murray, Djokovic, Nadal and Federer that Gilles' chances of ever winning a major aren't likely, however the Nice draw is another example of a winnable tournament for him which would also catapult him back into the top 10 if he were to win it and Isner didn't go beyond the quarterfinals, which I believe is a real possibility because he hasn't been playing very well as of late.

I don't believe Isner will even make it to the finals. Gael seems like the most likely finalist in that section of the draw. I trust Gilles to know what's best for him. Also, the selfish tennis fan (Gilles fan more in particular) in me won't pass up any opportunity to see him play. :tennis: :lick:

lalaland
05-20-2012, 06:17 AM
He needs to get to the Final to gain pts, which means he will have to play 4 matches next week to gain any pts. And if Isner also gets into the final, then Gilles needs to beat him to past him in the ranking, a tall task. And even if he wins it, it will only secure a Top 10 rank for 2 weeks bcos he has a lot of pts to defend in RG. And so if it comes to that, I still don't think the energy to be spent will be worth it if it jeopardize his performance in RG. I think at this pt, as he said it, he doesn't care so much the Top 10 ranking, his goal is to win big matches in big tournaments. Bcos the one thing that's lacking in his resume is a memorable performance in slams. I found it very disheartening that his winning Bucharest seems to get him more criticism than praise (from the French anyway). So if he doesn't at least get to the 2nd week of RG, I think his good showings in the past month and a half would mean nothing. So anyway, that's my reasoning for against his participation in Nice, bcos I think it will gain him nothing and he runs a risk of tiring himself too much to run deep in RG. I hope I'm just too pessimistic and he indeed knows what he's doing and that Nice will turn out to be a good preparation for his quest in RG. I mean, at this pt, I can only hope that will be the case for him.

GilleSimonAddict
05-20-2012, 08:57 AM
You make some good points to be sure, but for me, i'm not like the French press who always seems to be looking down on him for whatever reason it is this time. I'm happy when he can win a title. Any title. So I get excited about smaller tournaments because I know those are his best chances. But I totally understand the need for him to do well in majors. I just don't see it happening. I mean even when he was at his most confident back in 2008-2009 the best he did was a quarterfinal at the AO. I believe he can do better, I just know it's really not just entirely up to him. The right guys who give him trouble would have to get taken out before they would meet and he would have to be playing at his best etc. etc. Too many variables.

That's a shame to hear about the dissmissiveness of his Bucharest title win though. Very disrespectful too. Now if Tsonga had won it, strike up the band i'm sure right? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I just hope he can do well period the whole rest of the season. If he can win Nice, maybe that will actually help him going into RG because it will give him more belief and confidence in his game. :shrug: I don't know. Either way, I support him 100% in life and in whatever decisions he makes, so Go Gilles Go!

lalaland
05-20-2012, 10:41 PM
If I’m not supporting him in Nice, that’s only because I believe there’s a silver lining behind it. I think he’s in Nice not for the pts, but just to honor his commitment to his hometown tournament. I don’t think it’s a stupid move, it’s just not a very rational one. My dilemma is, on the one hand, I worry he spends too much energy, on the other hand, I don't really want him to lose to some random player, or that he'll tank a match (cos that's unprofessional). That's why I'm so bothered by him playing there :lol: because I don't really know if I should want him to last or lose soon. Thing is, I think it’s a mistake of his calculation that he signed up for Nice 6 weeks ago. I mean, it's a sign of him not feeling confident about his clay season and thinking that he'll need a back-up the week before RG to fine tune his game. Perhaps it was reasonable then, his record on clay was 2-4 at that time 6 weeks ago. But now that he’s exhausted himself a lot in the past few weeks, if this is any other tournament, I think he would have w/d in a heartbeat. But this being Nice, he couldn’t. I just feel that he’s paying for his mistake, and because of this, he creates himself a dilemma, should he reserves his energy or should he be professional and just play as best as he can but potentially hurting himself in RG? What he should have done, is to not sign up at the beginning, and should he felt the need to get more play before RG, like the situation of Gael, he asks for a WC. That’s why I think it was a mistake to sign up and even a bigger mistake that he didn’t or couldn’t back out. And I want to believe that’s the exact scenario of what’s happening. Otherwise, if he thinks he needs Nice’s pts, then he has his priority all wrong IMO.

misty1
05-21-2012, 01:01 AM
well there are some players who feel a certian loyalty to home town tournaments and even if it makes no sense at all they are going to play it whenever they can. Really oinly injury would probably ever keep him out. Its that same loyalty to the hometown tournament that will see him give his best even if tanking would be a better idea at some stage.

lalaland
05-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Monday got washed out, the place looks like a swimming pool :lol: Well, too wet to even practice, at least he got to rest then :p.

http://www.opennicecotedazur.com/upload/actus-interviews-videos/il-pleut-171.jpg

Can only hope that this tournament will finish on time. All R1 is scheduled to play tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Gilles had a presser. You can read it here:
http://sports.nice.fr/open-nice-cote-d-azur-gilles-simon,3595.html

Gillouthe best
05-22-2012, 03:35 PM
He will face Dimitrov on R2, H2H is 2-0 for Gilles in 2009, Allez Gilles :)

mike s.
05-23-2012, 03:14 PM
He won the first set 6-3. Looks good so far and it's great to see the crowd behind him so much.

mike s.
05-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Comfortable win for Gilles 6-3, 6-3. At least he will not be worn out after that match, not many grueling rallies.

Gilloulou
05-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Nice win :]

I actually think it's not a bad idea he plays this tournament, he has to practice anyway for RG and he's not the type of player that can rest for a couple of weeks and then blast the court. i think he even said that in the past, he needs to play more tournaments than others to stay sharp. and besides, it's maximum 4 matches, he will hardky play in the first few days of RG, so he should have plenty of time to rest. and who knows how he will perform there anyway, last year he went in well only to play one of his worse matches ever against Soderling. so, expect nothing at the moment and who knows, maybe we'll have a nice surprise in 2 weeks time :]

GilleSimonAddict
05-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Good solid workman-like win for Gilles. Didn't work too hard. Didn't have to really do anything special. Just played consistent and did just enough to get the win.

It was nice to see the crowd actually genuinely enthusiastic, excited, happy and thankful to see Simon there and being supportive of him. The French Tennis press should take note and follow their lead.

MsTree
05-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Nice win :]

I actually think it's not a bad idea he plays this tournament, he has to practice anyway for RG and he's not the type of player that can rest for a couple of weeks and then blast the court. i think he even said that in the past, he needs to play more tournaments than others to stay sharp.

I also think Gilles needs lots of matches to get into his rhythm - I haven't seen him play live for ages though and I'm missing him!

Gillouthe best
05-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Good luck for Gilles vs Bellucci, also 2-0 H2H vs him.

lalaland
05-23-2012, 08:45 PM
I also think Gilles needs lots of matches to get into his rhythm

I agree. My concern though is that he already said he's tired. He said the Ferrer match, he can't do much cos he's already spent going into that match, and that's his 3rd match of that week and 6th match of that 2 weeks. Now he's playing the 3rd consecutive week with RG coming next week. But anyway, he sounds excited to be playing his hometown tournament though, and he said since he's already there, he will try to do his best to win it. Nice is important to him, so I hope he wins it then . Here's the ITW:

Dans une interview accordée à la fédération française de tennis, Gilles Simon s'est exprimé sur son tournoi à Nice, sur ses sensations sur terre. Gilou estime que le tournoi de Nice peut être une bonne préparation avant Roland Garros. Le Français aborde aussi ses ambitions pour le deuxième Grand Chelem de l'année.

C’est quelque chose de spécial pour vous de disputer un tournoi à Nice, la ville où vous êtes né ?
Oui, c’est sûr. Ça fait un moment que j’avais envie de venir jouer ici. Les années précédentes j’étais un peu triste de ne pas disputer le tournoi, et je suis vraiment content d’être là cette année, d’autant que beaucoup de monde va venir pour me supporter. J’espère que je vais assurer et faire un bon tournoi. En tout cas je compte sur le public de Nice, je sais qu’il est toujours chaud et aime encourager, les matches vont être très durs donc j’aurai besoin de ça.

Vous effectuez une très belle saison sur terre battue avec un titre à Bucarest, une demi-finale à Monte-Carlo, un huitièmes de finale à Madrid et Rome, comment vous sentez vous à une semaine de Roland-Garros ?
C’est difficile de juger. J’insiste encore une fois là-dessus, mais mon niveau de jeu dépend essentiellement de mes jambes, de ma capacité à défendre, de passer de la défense à l’attaque, de rendre tous les points difficiles pour l’adversaire. Contre Ferrer, à Rome, ce n’était pas le cas car j’étais entamé physiquement. Mais c’est vrai que je ne crois pas avoir déjà abordé Roland-Garros dans d’aussi bonnes conditions, je vais arriver avec un gros niveau de confiance.

Pourquoi avoir décidé de jouer ici si vous n'êtes pas à 100% physiquement ?
C’est vrai que j’ai beaucoup joué ces dernières semaines, mais lorsque j’ai établi ma programmation, je connaissais ce risque et je ne savais pas nécessairement que je gagnerais autant de matchs sur terre battue. En plus un tournoi comme Nice peut typiquement faire du bien avant un Grand Chelem, donc en aucun cas je ne regrette ma décision d’être venu ici. C’est un choix que j’ai fait, je dois l’assumer et faire tout ce que je peux pour bien jouer. C’est un tournoi très fort mais j’ai la ferme intention de tout donner.

His match against Bellucci scheduled at not before 1pm local time, after a double match. Allez.

GilleSimonAddict
05-24-2012, 12:50 PM
:bigclap: Well done Gilles! Made a potentially tough opponent get frustrated and sucked him into his rhythm and just systematically took him apart from there. Another efficient straight sets win. Now the real potential challenges start. Good luck Gilles! :cheerleader:

mike s.
05-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Congrats Gilles! Good effort today.

Gillouthe best
05-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Good luck vs Almagro tomorrow, 2-1 H2H, Gilles won the last meeting in Hamburg F 2011.

MsTree
05-24-2012, 05:17 PM
:cheerleader: :D Allez!!!

lalaland
05-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Well done Gilles.

So far so good, must admit that this could turn out to be a good week of preparation. The past 2 matches weren't taxing, and the next 2 matches should up the level a notch which he needs to better prepared for RG. Now he only needs a Tuesday start in RG and a friendly draw ;), not too much to ask I hope :D.

Now if he can win tomorrow and move back to Top 10, that would be great, since he's only 1 win away and it will be a big bummer if he doesn't get it. No pressure Gilles, but don't lose now.

Almagro is gonna be really tough, good luck Gilles. Allez.

mike s.
05-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Well done Gilles.

So far so good, must admit that this could turn out to be a good week of preparation. The past 2 matches weren't taxing, and the next 2 matches should up the level a notch which he needs to better prepared for RG. Now he only needs a Tuesday start in RG and a friendly draw ;), not too much to ask I hope :D.

Now if he can win tomorrow and move back to Top 10, that would be great, since he's only 1 win away and it will be a big bummer if he doesn't get it. No pressure Gilles, but don't lose now.

Almagro is gonna be really tough, good luck Gilles. Allez.

I hope he plays on Tuesday too but for selfish reasons because I'll be there on Tuesday. I don't have tickets to Chatrier though so I probably won't get to see him anyway.

lalaland
05-24-2012, 07:49 PM
I hope he plays on Tuesday too but for selfish reasons because I'll be there on Tuesday. I don't have tickets to Chatrier though so I probably won't get to see him anyway.

You going to Roland Garros, NICE! Hope you have a lot of fun there.

GilleSimonAddict
05-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Very nervous and very :scared: about today's semifinal for Gilles against Almagro. I know as the defending champion there will be a certain amount of pressure for him that may come into play and play to Gilles advantage. But likewise, Almagro has had, as usual, another great clay court season with a 22-6 record and he can really play aggressive so it's going to be tough for sure.

If Gilles can find away to pull it off and Davydenko wins his match against Baker, it will be a very interesting final, because both Gilles and Davydenko have excellent records in finals. It's just them getting there that is the problem, but once they do, they usually win, so seeing them go head to head would be interesting and fun. Nikolay has a losing record to Gilles, but I believe he won their last encounter and he has been playing more like his old self this week and since going back to his old Prince racket, which he never should've stopped using to begin with. I really do hope we get a Simon Davydenko final, but Simon definitely has to tougher task today in making that happen. Good luck Gilles!

GilleSimonAddict
05-25-2012, 01:45 PM
:sobbing: Well looks like my gut feeling was spot on. What a disaster this has been. A complete thrashing mixed in with his own crappy playing today. Too bad because if he had won today, I think he would've definitely won between either of the two other guys tomorrow. :sad::crying2:

lalaland
05-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Can't find a word to describe it, cos saying it's bad is an understatement. Just hope there's nothing wrong with him and let's quickly put it behind him and move on to RG.

His quarter in RG:
Novak Djokovic SRB (1) vs Potito Starace ITA
Blaz Kavcic SLO vs Lleyton Hewitt AUS
Qualy vs Qualy
Qualy vs Jurgen Melzer AUT (30)

Andreas Seppi ITA (22) vs Nikolay Davydenko RUS
Mikhail Kukushkin KAZ vs Ernests Gulbis LAT
Qualy vs Gilles Muller LUX
Steve Darcis BEL vs Fernando Verdasco ESP (14)

Gilles Simon FRA (11) vs Ryan Harrison USA
Xavier Malisse BEL vs Brian Baker USA
Pablo Andujar ESP vs Victor Hanescu ROU
Flavio Cipolla ITA vs Stanislas Wawrinka SUI (18)

Viktor Troicki SRB (28) vs Thomaz Bellucci BRA
Fabio Fognini ITA vs Adrian Mannarino FRA
Cedrik-Marcel Stebe GER vs Joao Souza BRA
Qualy vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga FRA (5)

Wawrinka in R3 is gonna be real tough. But to not look ahead, focus on one match at a time. Allez Gilles, please do well in RG.

mike s.
05-25-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm hoping that was a tank because otherwise I'd be really worried about his form going into RG :lol:

Ok draw, not good not bad. On clay, Gilles should beat Harrison, Baker could be tough in R2 but he'll be tired from this week, and then obviously Wawrinka will be very difficult. Tsonga is a good fourth round though if Gilles can get there. One match at a time though, too many grand slam disappointments in his career to think ahead :sad:

Gilloulou
05-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Nice was merely a practice anyway, wasn't it? :]

I guess that's a good draw. tricky "minor" opponents but only Tsonga as the top seed. not too bad at all. who knows, maybe we get super lucky this year :]

cutesteve22
05-25-2012, 02:34 PM
hope Gilles could take the chance in RG with the decent draw :cheerleader:
:( still gotta say it might be worst match of 2012, the only highlight is this :o

MsTree
05-25-2012, 04:36 PM
OMG a shirt change!!! :eek:

lalaland
05-25-2012, 05:43 PM
He fell and has clay on his shirt, not that he needs a reason to change shirt ;).

I'm hoping that was a tank because otherwise I'd be really worried about his form going into RG :lol:

On L'Equipe, he just said Almagro was too strong, hit very hard and pushed him off to far back. Well, the only good thing is that this match only last a little over an hour, he hardly get a chance to sweat :p. I'm trying to not worry about this one match cos I may go crazy just thinking about how bad it was :o.

I've been watching Brian Baker this week, like everyone else I jumped on to his wagon, cos he really is good. I won't underestimate him if Gilles meets him in the 2nd.

Oh, and upper half starts first, so no luck. Hopefully they at least gives him Monday start then.

GilleSimonAddict
05-25-2012, 06:39 PM
He fell and has clay on his shirt, not that he needs a reason to change shirt ;).

On L'Equipe, he just said Almagro was too strong, hit very hard and pushed him off to far back. Well, the only good thing is that this match only last a little over an hour, he hardly get a chance to sweat :p. I'm trying to not worry about this one match cos I may go crazy just thinking about how bad it was :o.

I've been watching Brian Baker this week, like everyone else I jumped on to his wagon, cos he really is good. I won't underestimate him if Gilles meets him in the 2nd.

Oh, and upper half starts first, so no luck. Hopefully they at least gives him Monday start then.

See this is why I think playing Nice was a good idea for Gilles and could've been even better for him had he won today against Almagro, because Baker just now beat Davydenko and he would've had the chance to A) Have a real good chance to win the Nice title in his hometown on his first appearance in the tournament and B) Gotten a chance to experience Baker's game first hand and see his strengths and weaknesses which he could in turn use as valuable information to take with him into their possible 2nd round match on the much bigger stage of Roland Garros.

The consequences of losing to Baker in the Nice final, while it definitely would've been sucky, wouldn't be as bad as potentially losing to him 2nd round of a major. Now he won't get that valuable first hand experience and should he face him 2nd round, he will be having to learn on the fly how to go about playing him.

:topic: Now that Baker is in the Nice final, i'm definitely cheering and rooting for him. Not just for revenge for Gilles against Almagro or the American connection, but because it really is one of the better comeback stories in recent tennis (seriously this guys past injuries list is crazy). Truly amazing what he has been able to do this week.

lalaland
05-25-2012, 07:10 PM
See this is why I think playing Nice was a good idea for Gilles and could've been even better for him had he won today against Almagro, because Baker just now beat Davydenko and he would've had the chance to A) Have a real good chance to win the Nice title in his hometown on his first appearance in the tournament and B) Gotten a chance to experience Baker's game first hand and see his strengths and weaknesses which he could in turn use as valuable information to take with him into their possible 2nd round match on the much bigger stage of Roland Garros.

Sorry, I still disagree. I'm not too unhappy that he lost today (although the way he lost kind of suck). Seeing that how much he fought today in the match, I bet he's not too upset either, he's already in RG time. And now we know he's most likely going to play Monday, he only has 2 days to get himself settle in RG. I think he needs that every bit of the 2 days to get use to the condition there. Yes, it's a pity that he didn't get those pts to get to Top 10. But then again, there's always other small tournaments to win, and there's only 1 RG in the next 12 months to get a chance to perform there.

The consequences of losing to Baker in the Nice final, while it definitely would've been sucky, wouldn't be as bad as potentially losing to him 2nd round of a major. Now he won't get that valuable first hand experience and should he face him 2nd round, he will be having to learn on the fly how to go about playing him.

As for playing Baker, the man has to be tired by now, he has 1 more match to play tomorrow and he's also going to play on Monday. And he has never played Gilles either so it works both way that they will both need to get used to each other. The 5 setters will give him time to figure out Baker, I hope. All I was saying is to not underestimate Baker, but I'm still fairly confident that Gilles will deal with him regardless (and now that I say it out loud, I potential jinx him :o. Yes, I'm quite a superstitious sports fan).

:topic: Now that Baker is in the Nice final, i'm definitely cheering and rooting for him. Not just for revenge for Gilles against Almagro or the American connection, but because it really is one of the better comeback stories in recent tennis (seriously this guys past injuries list is crazy). Truly amazing what he has been able to do this week.
I'm cheering for him too. It's unbelievable how he came all the way back to the top level in such short time. So all the best to him. But I don't mind Almagro either, and since Gilles beat him in a way bigger match last time in Hamburg, I'm not too upset he got Gilles this time.

Gilloulou
05-25-2012, 07:25 PM
I doubt baker would make it past the first round of RG, best of 5 after playing like zillion matches in a row now when he is not used to it. still, Gilou will have to win first :] and he hasn't been impressive since MC. let's hope he will shock the world for a change~~~

mike s.
05-25-2012, 07:34 PM
I don't think Gilles will have a problem with Baker's game (hopefully I'm not jinxing him here). Baker has a good return and backhand but he's not going to blow Gilles off the court and he's not going to outsteady him either, especially because he's going to be exhausted.

That being said, I'm so happy for Brian. I remember following him back in his junior days, as I usually do for all good American juniors and it's good to see him finally having some success on the pro tour. I hope he wins the title.

lalaland
05-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Gilles' match against Harrison is scheduled the 4th match on Chatrier tomorrow. Allez Gilles.

Gillouthe best
05-28-2012, 05:02 AM
Allez Gilles :)

GilleSimonAddict
05-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Well, it's been a pretty good day at the FO for the Americans, both men and women, believe it or not, but hopefully it won't be for all of them. ;) (hint hint)

Gillouthe best
05-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Gilles lost 1st set 3-6 :banghead:, only 4 W and 13 UE's, also only 43% 1st serve in.

lalaland
05-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Gosh, he's pretty awful, tight as a kite. I think we've jinxed him, talked about his R2 opponent, taken R1 for granted. Damn, what a crash it will be to go out in R1.

lalaland
05-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Phew. Only when he's back at the wall then he starts really hitting the ball to fight off those set points. Now, please please please hold.

Gilloulou
05-28-2012, 05:03 PM
just when eurosport started showing his game he plays great. can't understand how he was down a set and 2 set points... it's like Dr Gilles and Mister Simon i reckon...

Gillouthe best
05-28-2012, 05:09 PM
He won 2nd set 7-5, phew, 11 W, 8 UE's, his 1st % is up to 50%.

Gilloulou
05-28-2012, 05:12 PM
and once again terrible sequence of points

GilleSimonAddict
05-28-2012, 05:12 PM
You're killin' me Simon. Thank God he found away to dodge this bullet and even things up. I almost needed CPR there for a minute. :lol:

Gilloulou
05-28-2012, 05:14 PM
he looks lethargic again. i just don't get it

lalaland
05-28-2012, 05:14 PM
And I thought the tide is turning, and then he got broken right away in Set 3. He's not going to make it easy on us, is he.

Gilloulou
05-28-2012, 05:17 PM
is he going to make it at all?

misty1
05-28-2012, 05:52 PM
breaks for the 3rd set

GilleSimonAddict
:woohoo: Allez Gilou! :yippee:

lalaland
That's better. Allez Gilles.

Gillouthe best
05-28-2012, 05:57 PM
11 W, 14 UE's on this set, saved 3 BP's at 3-3.

lalaland
05-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Please hold serve, please. Why u making it so hard :mad:

lalaland
05-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Ok. Better.

misty1
05-28-2012, 06:02 PM
0-30, come on gilles

i was really worried about this match to be honest. I dont what it is but its like the american players have found something here. Up until this point the only american to lose was roddick

misty1
05-28-2012, 06:03 PM
break:)

2-0

misty1
05-28-2012, 06:04 PM
easy hold

3-0

misty1
05-28-2012, 06:16 PM
was a battle but holds for 4-1

misty1
05-28-2012, 06:21 PM
serving for the match now

Nagyovafan
05-28-2012, 06:27 PM
La victoire! Il était en bonne forme auprès de la fin.

lalaland
05-28-2012, 06:28 PM
After a scare, a big one, he finally won. The last set he's just swinging it away, that's what he needs to do. Hope he hit those nerves out of his system, he'll get no where playing like what he did in the first 1.8 set. Looking like he's gonna play Baker, who's 2 sets and a break up at the moment and about to finish his match in a much shorter time than Gilles did. Gilles really needs to up his game next round.

Gillouthe best
05-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Good cmeback, but he needs to up his game,

GilleSimonAddict
05-28-2012, 06:36 PM
:bigclap: Excellent comeback for Gilles! So proud! He never says die! I chalk it up to 1st match jitters. Especially for a Frenchman playing at the French Open. I'm sure, or at least I hope, that he will play much better now. It's always difficult getting that first match of a major under your belt. Especially when it's a major you hold near and dear.

Gilloulou
05-28-2012, 07:11 PM
he actually played well from the end of the first set (except the start of the 3rd). parts of just a little sliggish but it looked very solid at some parts, even the return was very efficient. just a bit more aggression and i won't have a nervous breakdown next match :]

MsTree
05-28-2012, 09:12 PM
I only had the last set recorded but managed to avoid the scores till I watched it! Allez! :)

lalaland
05-28-2012, 09:45 PM
The last 2 sets were more worthy watching than the first 2, for sure ;).

What he said afterward (on L'equipe):

«L'expérience je ne sais pas, mais la réussite : oui. A 40-15 quand il sert pour mener deux sets à rien je ne suis pas bien car je savais aujourd'hui que je n'aurais pas remonté deux sets. Pourquoi? Parce que déjà je n'ai jamais gagné en étant mené 2-0 et qu'en plus pour ça j'aurais dû mieux jouer et que ce n'était pas le cas : je jouais mal - l'impression de ne pas avoir tapé une balle en 3 heures - et je jouais moins bien que lui».

«Je n'ai pas eu le match dont je rêvais pour commencer le tournoi mais j'ai eu le mérite de ne pas lâcher. Alors là je me sens lessivé, car j'ai fait beaucoup d'efforts et qu'évidemment il y a un prix à payer mais j'espère que je serai tout beau tout neuf dans deux jours. Baker joue très bien, c'est propre, il n'a pas de lacune. Mais je l'ai vu jouer donc au moins je ne me ferai pas surprendre».

TennisFan2012
05-29-2012, 12:15 AM
The last 2 sets were more worthy watching than the first 2, for sure ;).

What he said afterward (on L'equipe):

«L'expérience je ne sais pas, mais la réussite : oui. A 40-15 quand il sert pour mener deux sets à rien je ne suis pas bien car je savais aujourd'hui que je n'aurais pas remonté deux sets. Pourquoi? Parce que déjà je n'ai jamais gagné en étant mené 2-0 et qu'en plus pour ça j'aurais dû mieux jouer et que ce n'était pas le cas : je jouais mal - l'impression de ne pas avoir tapé une balle en 3 heures - et je jouais moins bien que lui».

«Je n'ai pas eu le match dont je rêvais pour commencer le tournoi mais j'ai eu le mérite de ne pas lâcher. Alors là je me sens lessivé, car j'ai fait beaucoup d'efforts et qu'évidemment il y a un prix à payer mais j'espère que je serai tout beau tout neuf dans deux jours. Baker joue très bien, c'est propre, il n'a pas de lacune. Mais je l'ai vu jouer donc au moins je ne me ferai pas surprendre».

Thanks for this. It's interesting that he didn't think he played very well. The statistics on the website showed his serve improved over the course of the match--hope he can start more strongly in the next round.

If the other Americans on this board watched on Tennis Channel, were any of you as annoyed as I was by John McEnroe's just making stuff up about Gilles maybe because he didn't know much about him or his game? I really like John's commentary usually, and he is typically very knowledgeable. But I think he and his commentary partner wanted Ryan Harrison to win very badly, and since they assumed most of the TC viewers watching did too, they were a bit sloppy and biased. For example, John remarked that Gilles wasn't good at the net, but the stats. showed he won 80+% of his approaches. He also said Gilles had no really good strokes - he just was a good mover. He's definitely a good mover but, John, when his groundstrokes are "on", they are low and fast and hard to defend. And he is usually a very good tactician. Ask Monfils who typically wins when they play, and why.

As another example, John claimed that the French don't really like Gilles, because the stands weren't full. Huh? In Gilles' interviews, he seems like a very nice and humble guy. Why wouldn't people support him? Here's another opinion -- could it be that the stands weren't full because there were three other French players playing on the largest courts at the same time (Bartoli, Clément (in a very tight match), and Mathieu)??? And maybe that the crowd is quiet because French people (and most people outside New York) usually ARE quiet during matches? And because people from all over Europe come to the French Open, so of course different people attending will have different favorites? It's probably going to be just as bad for the next match, since he will be playing an even greater American underdog. But it would be nice if John would get online and find out a bit more about Gilles, and give the guy a little credit - or just not speculate.

lalaland
05-29-2012, 04:47 AM
Thanks for this. It's interesting that he didn't think he played very well. The statistics on the website showed his serve improved over the course of the match--hope he can start more strongly in the next round.

Well, he didn't play well at the beginning for sure, he's so tight. And in another article, he said the wind was really strong and he felt he has to use a lot of efforts just to hit the ball.

If the other Americans on this board watched on Tennis Channel, were any of you as annoyed as I was by John McEnroe's just making stuff up about Gilles maybe because he didn't know much about him or his game? I really like John's commentary usually, and he is typically very knowledgeable. But I think he and his commentary partner wanted Ryan Harrison to win very badly, and since they assumed most of the TC viewers watching did too, they were a bit sloppy and biased. For example, John remarked that Gilles wasn't good at the net, but the stats. showed he won 80+% of his approaches. He also said Gilles had no really good strokes - he just was a good mover. He's definitely a good mover but, John, when his groundstrokes are "on", they are low and fast and hard to defend. And he is usually a very good tactician. Ask Monfils who typically wins when they play, and why.

I also usually like John, but I'm not surprised that he knows nothing about Gilles though. I mean, unless ppl are like us diehard fans watch his matches on crappy livestreams, otherwise, Gilles' matches are usually on some obscure outside courts in most tournaments with no TV coverage, not US coverage anyway. Somehow I doubted that John does his homework on less famous players.

I also don't get why they keep emphasizing he's not good at the net. Surely he's not Pat Rafter, but he’s no worse than 80% of the players out there, if not more. There's hardly a match that he has a negative stat for net points, that's because he always choose his moments right. Maybe the technique isn’t so pretty, but isn't picking the right time to come to the net also part of the quality for playing at the net?

I don't have TC, and I rather watch online stream than listening to the likes of Doug Adler (gosh, I hate that guy) or those other American commentators. They don't like his game so they don't respect him, which is really unprofessional when they are on TV not just criticizing but disrespecting him. I love the Brits cos they all very appreciative of Gilles' game, thinking that his game is a throwback to the old days which power is not the only element of the game. Those quality commentators like Jason Goodall/Robbie Koenig (who doesn’t like that 2).

Gilles is a nice guy indeed. I can't remember which match I was watching but the commentator said something like “players hate to play Gilles, but off the court they all love him cos he is one of the nicest guy”. I guess good guy don’t really appeal to American fans since fans don’t get to know them, all they care is their so called “on court personality”, and we all know Americans like bad boys, the most famous American players are bad boys: JMac, Conners, Roddick, Agassi (Sampras is too boring, who cares if he's the best of them who hold records and everything?)

Oh well, Gilles can't win them all.

GilleSimonAddict
05-29-2012, 04:59 AM

As another example, John claimed that the French don't really like Gilles, because the stands weren't full. Huh? In Gilles' interviews, he seems like a very nice and humble guy. Why wouldn't people support him? Here's another opinion -- could it be that the stands weren't full because there were three other French players playing on the largest courts at the same time (Bartoli, Clément (in a very tight match), and Mathieu)??? And maybe that the crowd is quiet because French people (and most people outside New York) usually ARE quiet during matches? And because people from all over Europe come to the French Open, so of course different people attending will have different favorites? It's probably going to be just as bad for the next match, since he will be playing an even greater American underdog. But it would be nice if John would get online and find out a bit more about Gilles, and give the guy a little credit - or just not speculate.

While I respect John and his place in tennis, he's definitely a very over-opinionated windbag who is full of it more often than not. These days he really doesn't waste his time on anybody other than the top 4 and his fellow American players.

However, to be fair, he is right about a few things.

1) Gilles isn't very good at the net despite what the stats sometimes say. He hates coming to net and when he does, he more often than not shanks volleys and overheads like we saw today where he hit an overhead smash up at the net right down on to the top of the net. In Monte Carlo a sitter volley at the net on break point against Nadal cost him. It was an easy put away that all he had to do was hit into the open court and he netted it. It happens far too often with him so John has a point there.

2) Gilles isn't as well liked by the French and especially the French press as Tsonga, Monfils, and to a lesser extent, Gasquet. So John isn't really out of line for stating that because it's the truth. Several of us Gilles' fans have commented often about the double standard against Gilles compared to Monfils and especially Tsonga. Gilles got some great support in Nice and it was nice to see and hear, but that was also because it was his hometown. He doesn't really get support like that anywhere else in France.

It stems from Gilles not being a power driven non stop offensive player, but rather a counterpuncher and pusher who plays more tactically as well as not being very flashy or much of a braggart-type player the way Tsonga is. Like you said, he is very humble and, while to me, that's part of his charm and something that should be viewed as a quality, to others it's a turn off apparently.

Anyway, The good news is Gilles doesn't really give a sh!t what they think and actually prefers not to be in the spotlight. Bottom line is, we know Gilles is awesome and a good player and person and whatever the haters think or say doesn't really matter because haters are gonna hate no matter what. :yeah:

lalaland
05-29-2012, 06:00 AM
2) Gilles isn't as well liked by the French and especially the French press as Tsonga, Monfils, and to a lesser extent, Gasquet. So John isn't really out of line for stating that because it's the truth. Several of us Gilles' fans have commented often about the double standard against Gilles compared to Monfils and especially Tsonga. Gilles got some great support in Nice and it was nice to see and hear, but that was also because it was his hometown. He doesn't really get support like that anywhere else in France.

On the contrary, French Press loves Gilles (well, maybe not love, but certainly not dislike him). They don't care to talk about him too much because he's the least known among the 4, and you know press, they only want to write things that readers want to read, not necessarily the most interesting things. But they like Gilles alright, a lot of commentators said that, because Gilles doesn't act like a diva to the press, and he likes to talk so they won't have any problem finding things to write, plus he talks interestingly, his points are clear and not just canned answers.

As for the criticism in the press against Gilles. Well, all 4 of them have their own criticisms, they are just on different things. I don't think they are especially harsh on Gilles, not the French press I read anyway. Again, he doesn't get the same press time as the others, but it's not because they dislike him, it's just because he's not as news worthy. So they criticize his lacking the slam level achievements, like they criticize Gasquet's not realizing his talent, or Gael's interest in showmanship more than tennis, or Tsonga who talks big and has little to show. That's the press, is what they do, stir things up bcos no one wants facts, they want drama.

Sports is an entertainment, I think 80% of ppl who go to tennis matches are casual fans who know little or nothing about the game, they can tell what's a flashy winner, but what do they know about strategy, how could they tell when a player is putting different pace/spin to the ball to make it difficult for his opponent? They see Gilles can hit with power, they ask why doesn't he do it all the time? Okay, he is lightweight in a class of his own, that's why he can't power his shots all the time, it's like asking why Jo can't move faster or crispier, well duh, in that heavy frame? And stop calling him a pusher (if one can just put the ball back to court and wait until the other misses - hell, sounds easy enough, I can do that, then why isn't everyone ranked 12th in the world? He has less fans because of his style, his preference of not drawing attention to himself, and he's loving his privacy (no website, no FB, no twitter account... as one of the article about him said: Gilles Simon is not here to sell you anything).

lalaland
05-29-2012, 06:27 AM
On L'Equipe:

Simon s’est vu dehors
Agacé par les conditions, le Français a dû sauver, au filet, deux balles de deux manches à zéro contre Harrison. Un handicap qu’il n’aurait pas surmonté, dit-il.

DEPUIS LE FORFAIT DE Gaël Monfils et grâce à sa propre saison sur terre battue, Gilles Simon ressemble à la plus belle chance française dans le tournoi. C’est dire si sonentame ratée, hier contre l’américain Ryan Harrison, a interpellé. Mais le 12e joueur mondial a trouvé les ressources pour rester en vie dans le tournoi.

SIMON ET SA VOLÉE

À 6-3, 5-4, 40-15 contre lui, service Harrison, Gilles Simon a vu la porte. Alors il est monté au filet ; la première fois pour conclure à son deuxième smash, la seconde pour pousser l’américain à boiser un passing de revers dans le bas du filet. Deux points plus tard, il revenait à 5-5, pendant que la raquette du rookie, rattrapé par ses démons et averti, finissait dans la fosse aux télés, juste avant ses illusions. C’est encore au filet que le Français, quelques instants plus tard, est venu sauver trois nouvelles balles de break, à 3-3 dans le troisième set, lors du dernier moment chaud de la partie. Taux de réussite à la volée, 74 %: Guy Forget serait fier de lui. « Ouais, enfin, j’en ai raté quelques- unes quand même, mais cette tactique avait bien fonctionné contre lui, en Coupe Davis, à Monte- Carlo. » C’était pour du beurre, mais il faut se souvenir de tout. Redevenu impatient et irritable, Harrison tira progressivement un trait sur ses ambitions. « Gilles était crispé, résume Thierry Tulasne, son coach, mais je crois qu’il serait revenu de deux sets à zéro car il était au-dessus. D’ailleurs, son dernier set a été impeccable. »

SIMON ET LE VENT

On peut s’entendre à merveille et ne pas être d’accord sur tout. « J’ai eu de la réussite. Je ne serais pas revenu de deux sets à zéro car je ne l’ai jamais fait et ce n’était pas le jour. J’étais très près de la sortie » , estime quant à lui Simon. On cherche des explications à cette entrée délicate, comme la rouste que lui a infligée Nicolas Almagro, à Nice, plus indigeste que prévu. Comme la variation des coups de l’américain, la justesse de ses chips, son endurance dans les rallyes, ses progrès sur terre battue. Non, rien n’a autant perturbé le Niçois que les conditions de jeu. « C’est le vent, c’est tout, ça m’a pesé sur les nerfs. Quand tu fais des efforts de placement, que tu dépenses une énergie folle pour essayer de bien frapper la balle et que tu fais des coups moyens à cause du vent qui fait bouger la balle au dernier moment, ça frustre. Pendant trois heures, je n’ai pas frappé un bon coup. » Ce n’est pas très mesuré, c’est du Simon. Mais c’est ce qui se fait de mieux en France en 2012.

SIMON ET LE CENTRAL

Il y a le vent, et puis il y a le central, sur lequel il rêve de briller, sur lequel il a très souvent gagné, mais qu’au fond il n’aime pas. Pas assez pour l’épargner. « C’est difficile de dire ça, mais c’est un court sur lequel il est très difficile de jouer. Même Rafa (Nadal) m’a dit que c’était celui qu’il aimait le moins des centraux du Grand Chelem. » Et pourquoi personne ne l’aime ? « Dans la soirée, le vent change tout le temps, poursuit Simon. En mettant la même puissance, ta balle peut tomber dans les carrés de service ou dans le public. » Et c’est d’autant plus compliqué en bleu, blanc, rouge. « Le vent plus la pression de jouer à la maison, ce n’est pas ça qui libère le bras et rend la vie facile, mais c’est comme ça. »

SIMON ET BAKER

Prochain adversaire, l’américain Brian Baker, l’ancien mutilé, l’homme qui n’a pas joué pendant six ans, vainqueur des sélections US pour gagner une invitation à Roland, et surprenant finaliste à Nice samedi. Juste après la victoire de son poulain, Thierry Tulasne a foncé voir ses derniers points contre Xavier Malisse. Pour en déduire ceci : « Il est capable de tout faire très bien. C’est un match piège car le mec joue top 50 et a le jeu pour gêner Gilles : bonne vision et bonne anticipation. Il va forcer Gilles à faire des trucs qu’il n’a pas l’habitude de faire, comme attaquer sur des balles basses. » Le brainstorming tactique a déjà commencé. « Je ne regrette pas de l’avoir vu beaucoup jouer à Nice, sourit Simon. Ce qu’il fait est très propre. Je sais qu’il a été beaucoup blessé et ça se voit : il est détaché et content d’être là. Après, j’ai envie de dire, chacun son parcours. Je sais qu’il mérite d’être là. » Face à Baker, Simon devra mieux servir (9 doubles fautes) et faire bien mieux que ces 46 fautes directes, avec ou sans vent, qui ne lui ressemblent pas.

GilleSimonAddict
05-29-2012, 08:27 AM
On the contrary, French Press loves Gilles (well, maybe not love, but certainly not dislike him). They don't care to talk about him too much because he's the least known among the 4, and you know press, they only want to write things that readers want to read, not necessarily the most interesting things. But they like Gilles alright, a lot of commentators said that, because Gilles doesn't act like a diva to the press, and he likes to talk so they won't have any problem finding things to write, plus he talks interestingly, his points are clear and not just canned answers.

As for the criticism in the press against Gilles. Well, all 4 of them have their own criticisms, they are just on different things. I don't think they are especially harsh on Gilles, not the French press I read anyway. Again, he doesn't get the same press time as the others, but it's not because they dislike him, it's just because he's not as news worthy. So they criticize his lacking the slam level achievements, like they criticize Gasquet's not realizing his talent, or Gael's interest in showmanship more than tennis, or Tsonga who talks big and has little to show. That's the press, is what they do, stir things up bcos no one wants facts, they want drama.

Sports is an entertainment, I think 80% of ppl who go to tennis matches are casual fans who know little or nothing about the game, they can tell what's a flashy winner, but what do they know about strategy, how could they tell when a player is putting different pace/spin to the ball to make it difficult for his opponent? They see Gilles can hit with power, they ask why doesn't he do it all the time? Okay, he is lightweight in a class of his own, that's why he can't power his shots all the time, it's like asking why Jo can't move faster or crispier, well duh, in that heavy frame? And stop calling him a pusher (if one can just put the ball back to court and wait until the other misses - hell, sounds easy enough, I can do that, then why isn't everyone ranked 12th in the world? He has less fans because of his style, his preference of not drawing attention to himself, and he's loving his privacy (no website, no FB, no twitter account... as one of the article about him said: Gilles Simon is not here to sell you anything).

:confused: I'm confused. Is this meant to be confrontational? I can't tell? Aren't we all fans of Gilles here? :shrug: Calling him a pusher isn't a negative thing you know. It's truthful. It just gets turned into a negative thing by commentators (especially commentators who are ex coaches because most of them always teach that a good offense will overcome a good defense to which I simply say "Nadal") who prefer power and straight forward offense over any other style. If you look at that comment as a negative, then you have let them and their rather shallow way of thinking affect you in a way it shouldn't. I never said Gilles relies solely on pushing as his whole game (like I said in my previous comment he's a counterpuncher and tactical player as well which explains why he's been as high as #6 and currently #12 in the world) but it is a huge part of his game and to say otherwise is being a bit in denial.

Ferrer is the same way. He relies very much on his consistency while not going for any real shot unless he has a clear opening. He's actually more so than Gilles. So does Andy Murray. He plays a very similar game to Gilles. He just has more size and power behind his shots and does everything that Gilles does a little bit better hence the head 2 head record. That's why Gilles has kinda become dubbed by commentators "the poor man's Andy Murray". Bernard Tomic is another one who employs a similar style. Again, there is nothing wrong with employing that style. It's a valid style to have as part of your arsenal. It just isn't looked very highly upon by tennis fans and basically 95% of the tennis commentators etc. who have grown accustomed to power tennis where it's all about big serves and forehands and backhands. Hell, most commentators get pissed off when a drop shot is employed these days.

And as far as Gilles' popularity, I'm sorry, but to me it comes off quite clear that the French fans just don't really care as much when it comes to him as they do Tsonga and Monfils. The stadium was way too empty yesterday during his match. I can definitely feel a sort of "cold shoulder vibe" from them when it comes to Gilles. They cheer, but not with as much heart it seems as they do for Monfils and Tsonga. It's especially evident at Davis Cups (you know that team event where there's not much team spirit going on towards Gilles' way, if he's even deemed worthy to play to begin with). To be fair, I think there is something to be said for the notion that Gilles doesn't make it easy for people to like him because of his emotional vibe and low key demeanor. You either get him or you don't. I do because i'm very similar to him in that way and I like who he is and I wouldn't want him to change anything about himself other than believing in himself more.

Anyway, like I said. We know that Gilles is worthy and who cares what the haters think. And remember lalaland, we're on the same team here. :hug:

TennisFan2012
05-29-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't have TC, and I rather watch online stream than listening to the likes of Doug Adler (gosh, I hate that guy) or those other American commentators. They don't like his game so they don't respect him, which is really unprofessional when they are on TV not just criticizing but disrespecting him. I love the Brits cos they all very appreciative of Gilles' game, thinking that his game is a throwback to the old days which power is not the only element of the game. Those quality commentators like Jason Goodall/Robbie Koenig (who doesn’t like that 2).

Gilles is a nice guy indeed. I can't remember which match I was watching but the commentator said something like “players hate to play Gilles, but off the court they all love him cos he is one of the nicest guy”. I guess good guy don’t really appeal to American fans since fans don’t get to know them, all they care is their so called “on court personality”, and we all know Americans like bad boys, the most famous American players are bad boys: JMac, Conners, Roddick, Agassi (Sampras is too boring, who cares if he's the best of them who hold records and everything?)

Oh well, Gilles can't win them all.

I have to disagree in part with you. I think you are over-generalizing both regarding other commentators, and American fans. Please don't bash people based on nationality, which you are appearing to do, based on what one individual does. Just because John McEnroe (and maybe Doug Adler--I don't listen to him much) says or does something doesn't mean it applies to 300 million other people, or even the few million who watch tennis in the US, or even to the 100 or fewer commentators who work in the US. We don't "all know Americans like bad boys." Some fans like the flashy players; some like the "bad boys"; some like nice guys who are great players. For example, Federer is seen as one of the nicest people in the sport and he has a huge following in the US and everywhere else he goes. So does Nadal, and the same can be said for many of the nice players. And, as you said yourself, Gilles may be under-appreciated by some French fans, for various reasons, so the fact that some Americans don't find him compelling isn't that different. A lot of Americans hated McEnroe's and Connors' on court behavior, and a lot disapprove of Roddick's tantrums, etc., etc., etc. I don't recall that either Agassi or Sampras fell in the category of "bad boy" re: on court behavior, and both had lots of fans. People are no different in the US than anywhere else, in that regard.

I also find most, but not all, of the British commentators on TTC un-knowledgeable and cloyingly hard to listen to, at times. They may or may not know more about Gilles (since so few matches are shown here, I can't make a comparison) but they often demonstrate during other matches that they are not analyzing the match as well as I would like. They also, understandably, are very pro-Murray, which can be hard to listen to if you are not his fan, just as it's hard to listen to John M. rave about Ryan Harrison's game when in fact he is not playing much better than Simon.

John did mention the wind and how it affected each player's game (repeatedly) and I thought, made many good points about tactical choices that could have been better, and did other good things with his commentary, as usual. He's a very smart guy, and loves the game, but he needs to admit when he doesn't really know much about a player and not react simply to the one match he's watching--or better yet, get an assistant to dig up more Gilles info so his commentary is better prepared. It would be nice if he could give Gilles due respect for what he does well. After all, John relied a lot on smarts, speed and finesse in his day--the only thing powerful was his serve--and it was known more for placement than anything else.

TennisFan2012
05-29-2012, 03:40 PM
:confused: I'm confused. Is this meant to be confrontational? I can't tell? Aren't we all fans of Gilles here? :shrug: Calling him a pusher isn't a negative thing you know. It's truthful. It just gets turned into a negative thing by commentators (especially commentators who are ex coaches because most of them always teach that a good offense will overcome a good defense to which I simply say "Nadal") who prefer power and straight forward offense over any other style. If you look at that comment as a negative, then you have let them and their rather shallow way of thinking affect you in a way it shouldn't. I never said Gilles relies solely on pushing as his whole game (like I said in my previous comment he's a counterpuncher and tactical player as well which explains why he's been as high as #6 and currently #12 in the world) but it is a huge part of his game and to say otherwise is being a bit in denial.

Ferrer is the same way. He relies very much on his consistency while not going for any real shot unless he has a clear opening. He's actually more so than Gilles. So does Andy Murray. He plays a very similar game to Gilles. He just has more size and power behind his shots and does everything that Gilles does a little bit better hence the head 2 head record. That's why Gilles has kinda become dubbed by commentators "the poor man's Andy Murray". Bernard Tomic is another one who employs a similar style. Again, there is nothing wrong with employing that style. It's a valid style to have as part of your arsenal. It just isn't looked very highly upon by tennis fans and basically 95% of the tennis commentators etc. who have grown accustomed to power tennis where it's all about big serves and forehands and backhands. Hell, most commentators get pissed off when a drop shot is employed these days.

And as far as Gilles' popularity, I'm sorry, but to me it comes off quite clear that the French fans just don't really care as much when it comes to him as they do Tsonga and Monfils. The stadium was way too empty yesterday during his match. I can definitely feel a sort of "cold shoulder vibe" from them when it comes to Gilles. They cheer, but not with as much heart it seems as they do for Monfils and Tsonga. It's especially evident at Davis Cups (you know that team event where there's not much team spirit going on towards Gilles' way, if he's even deemed worthy to play to begin with). To be fair, I think there is something to be said for the notion that Gilles doesn't make it easy for people to like him because of his emotional vibe and low key demeanor. You either get him or you don't. I do because i'm very similar to him in that way and I like who he is and I wouldn't want him to change anything about himself other than believing in himself more.

Anyway, like I said. We know that Gilles is worthy and who cares what the haters think. And remember lalaland, we're on the same team here. :hug:

Of course all that matters is that we know he's worthy! :-)

I don't know whether it's true about French fans' liking of Simon vs. the others, simply because I don't have the evidence. As I said earlier, there were other good reasons why many French fans would have been sitting on other courts at the same time, so I don't interpret the less-than-full stands as indicating anything about support for Simon. Also, relative to Monfils and Tsonga, they have been higher ranked than Gilles recently (except when injured) and have perhaps greater capacity to beat the top players when they play well, than does Simon. Gilles hasn't done as well as I am sure he's wanted to in some Davis Cup ties. So I'm not sure any tepid reaction has to do with personality, but with potential/results. I agree with both you and Lalaland that his low key personality may not be appreciated by everyone. But we appreciate it and his great playing style!

Also, I have to disagree a bit about net play. I've seen many players miss an occasional "easy" volley or smash, especially in the wind. That's why I am more interested in the statistics than in an individual play. Several times yesterday when Gilles was at the net and hit a lovely angled volley or touch shot, John said nothing complimentary. I realize that John's net technique was in such a stratospheric category it's probably hard for him to appreciate others, but Gilles' stats tell the tale.

Gillouthe best
05-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Well, I think Gilles is pretty popular in France, he's always scheduled on Chatrier, last year he was the only Frenc that played all his matches on Chatrier, plus like Lala says L'equipe likes him, appreciate that he is able to do good things. And IIRC, Gilles was more cheered than Tsonga in Montpellier 2010/ Monte Carlo 2012. Also in Paris M-1000 2009 he only continued because of the public which was great with him. Also his net play has been pretty good since late 2010, except some exceptions like the clay match vs Murray in Madrid 2011 and his bad volley vs Nadal in Monte-Carlo, in fact he usually wins more than 75% points when he gets to the net.

TennisFan2012
05-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the info Gillouthe best!

TennisFan2012
05-29-2012, 06:07 PM
By the way, I thought it would be fun to check the net winning percentage of players I consider good volleyers, in their RG matches thus far.

Federer won less than 70% of his approaches in his match with Kamke: 20 of 29 = 69 % winning percentage.

Llodra approached a lot more (of course), but winning % was lower: 46 of 73 = 63 % winning percentage.

Simon's: 23 of 31 = 74 % winning percentage (it was close to 90% for the last two sets).

Take that, John McEnroe!

Also, Simon plays the third match on Chatrier tomorrow. Allez!

GilleSimonAddict
05-29-2012, 06:18 PM
I really hope he can come good against Baker tomorrow. He will definitely have to play better than he did 1st round. Hopefully fitness will become an issue for Baker considering all of the tennis he has been playing as of late on his amazing comeback and give Gilles that extra added edge.

GilleSimonAddict
05-29-2012, 06:23 PM
:topic:
Unbelievable what is happening to Serena Williams right now. About to lose her first ever 1st round at a major after being up 5-1 in the 2nd set tiebreak. Totally didn't see this coming. This will be the 1st shock of the tournament. Crowd is going to go nuts for obvious reasons.

TennisFan2012
05-29-2012, 07:21 PM
:topic:
Unbelievable what is happening to Serena Williams right now. About to lose her first ever 1st round at a major after being up 5-1 in the 2nd set tiebreak. Totally didn't see this coming. This will be the 1st shock of the tournament. Crowd is going to go nuts for obvious reasons.

Yes, it's unbelievable that she was nearly to the finish line in the 2nd set tiebreak, then got in such a deep hole to a player outside the top 100, then managed nearly to come back, then couldn't finish the task. She had so many chances to break in the final game (8, I believe), with so many 2nd serves, but couldn't do it. But she said she is still in the Mixed Doubles -- she just may take out her frustration in that event!

lalaland
05-29-2012, 07:40 PM

Sorry I don't mean to sound confrontational, but I guess when opposite opinion is presented, it's hard to sound mild and welcoming. I do not mean to offend anyone and if I came across as offensive, I apologize.

I argue, and with intensity. But I don't see argument as a confrontation. To me, it's just an exchange of opinions, and I like to argue not because I want to change other's opinion, but to present another perspective (my perspective, if that's different from yours) when looking at the same matter. I believe that if only 1 side of opinion is presented, ppl will tend to take that as truth (and I'm not saying that's how you form your opinion, also, sorry for generalization here, don't know how to say it without generalizing). What JMac said about Gilles, are they all truths? does it matter? cos the viewers who don't know any better will just take his words for it. What do they care anyway. While I can't go on TV to tell them another perspective, I just say it on here. Of course I do realize that I don't know Gilles either, everything I said it's just an observation, but I do think I study the subject in much better depth than JMac has and there should be some truth to it for what I've observed so far. I say my perspective to give ppl something else to think about just in case if they haven't thought about it from that angle already. By the same token, I could totally be too wrapped around at my own little world, only others' opinion serve as a check and balance to my own, so I appreciate yours too.

As for whatever the word pusher means originally, it's all good, but the fact is, the term is interpreted as a derogatory one nowadays, or by majority of ppl. Like a lot of words nowadays, what they mean don't equal to what they are perceived.

Telling you not to call him pusher is probably too strong a tone from me, I apologize. I should have just say I won't call him pusher because I believe that is a derogatory term. I may not like a lot of tennis players and their style out there, but I respect them all the same for getting to where they are at, even the top 500 is not easy to do, it takes commitment and determination. I mean, when I was young, I dream about being an athlete too, and look where I am, stuck in the office :p. How many of us has dreams that didn't come true because we didn't try hard enough to carry them out? Calling them anything, pusher, ballbasher, serve bot, mug... to me is disrespectful. I know ppl on here always said it's for fun, don't take it seriously. Well, I'm just old school I guess. As for calling him pusher is just to be truthful, in your case it is. But we know most of the ppl who said the term mean it in a derogatory manner, therefore, it is just not a nice word to say, IMO anyway.

I know we are all fans of Gilles, but we have different opinions. To me, discussion is fun. Sadly, this kind of discussion only happens in the fan forum, cos GM is hardly a civilized place to carry out a rational discussion of any topic. Then again, I should know not everyone is like me. I'm sorry again if I came across as unfriendly. I love to hear what you have to say, I may not agree but I certainly won't hold it against you, and hopefully you don't hold mine against me :).

lalaland
05-29-2012, 09:26 PM
I have to disagree in part with you. I think you are over-generalizing both regarding other commentators, and American fans.

I agree that I'm generalizing. It is a bit hard to discuss every individual in America. But I get what you mean. Obviously, I don't mean everyone. It is obvious to me that different nationals hold a certain amount of same beliefs in them due to their cultural upbringing. Brits’ all about traditions while Americans are something else. We generalized them all the time. French players are all flair, Americans are serves and power, Swiss are graceful allrounders, and Spanish are … it never means that no one deviates from that generalization.

I should emphasize that what I said regarding commentators are my observations only. The sentiment is all generated from a specific focal point, which is Gilles Simon. It’s of course a very biased and opinionated sentiment. The Brits commentators are good in general IMO, Eurosport and the other sports channels on TV, and when I said that, I meant to say in my experience of watching those channels of Simon’s matches, I got a feeling that they are really regarding Gilles quite higher. And my experience of watching American commentators is that they generally do not appreciate Gilles. These 2 statements are different side of the same coin. You can say it is as shallow a reason to dislike American commentators just because they don’t like my fave, as it is as shallow a reason to like the Brits because they like my fave. Chances are, if you watch a Simon match with American commentators, most likely you don’t hear them appreciating his game that’s not depends on the offensive power. If you watch the Brits, chances are you will hear them appreciating Gilles’ other game elements. I am not at all saying that American commentators are bad regardless, I myself like JMac and Jim Courier a lot, I will watch them anytime, but if it's a Simon match, i rather watch Eurosport.

It is weird to be accused of bashing a nationality (or ppl based on nationality, same thing) just because I said I don’t like the tennis commentators. I have nothing against any nationality. Americans are great in so many things, they just aren’t great when it comes to commenting a Gilles Simon match, perhaps I should have said it more specifically to avoid the confusion.
When I said 80% of the fans that go to events have no clue of the sports, I don’t mean specifically Americans. I mean everywhere. It is not to insult or criticize, it is just a stat. USO is the biggest single event in US, and is the tennis fan base the biggest here? My sister and her friends went one year, they don’t watch any tennis at all during the year but they went to USO (and sadly it didn’t turn them into a tennis fan after either). I went to a few tournaments myself, with friends who hadn’t had a clue about tennis, but because there’s a tournament in town so they went. It’s the same as other sports; you cannot expect all ppl who go to sports events are diehard. Casual fans are what you want if you are a sports marketer cos they make up the numbers. Just like if you are politicians, you don’t target the diehards, you target the swing votes cos that’s the majority of them are. It’s the same as casual fans to sports. And when casual fans go to sports event, do they know what they are watching? Maybe they do. But I think not. I went to baseball game, the only thing I can tell is a homerun, but a homerun doesn’t make your team better or win, that I reckon, still it is the single most excitement generated action in baseball, isn’t it? Hence, that’s why I said about tennis and casual fans too. Of course, a niche sports probably has a higher percentage of knowledgeable fans attending, cos it's harder to get casual fans, but tennis is not at all niche. It’s not bashing, it’s just what I think is the case.

mike s.
05-30-2012, 12:11 AM
I was at the French Open today. Didn't think I would see Gilles but I randomly saw him signing autographs right outside one of the practice courts so I got a little bit lucky. I quickly snapped a picture with my phone (it's not good quality) but I'll try to post it later. Anyway, it was a fun day and I tried to bounce around the outer courts to see players I'd never seen live before although it's nearly impossible to watch matches on any of the outside courts because you have to wait in line forever. It's almost too crowded there.

Hopefully Gilles pulls it out tomorrow, if he plays his best he will win. I think he'll play better now that he's gotten through the first round.

ETA: Glad I didn't have to sit through TTC but John McEnroe has always disliked Gilles for whatever reason. He was trashing him the entire match against Nadal during the '10 US Open. I've always found McEnroe to be a brat though and I don't think he follows tennis enough nowadays to make informed opinions about current players. He just makes things up as he goes along.

GilleSimonAddict
05-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Sorry I don't mean to sound confrontational, but I guess when opposite opinion is presented, it's hard to sound mild and welcoming. I do not mean to offend anyone and if I came across as offensive, I apologize.

I argue, and with intensity. But I don't see argument as a confrontation. To me, it's just an exchange of opinions, and I like to argue not because I want to change other's opinion, but to present another perspective (my perspective, if that's different from yours) when looking at the same matter. I believe that if only 1 side of opinion is presented, ppl will tend to take that as truth (and I'm not saying that's how you form your opinion, also, sorry for generalization here, don't know how to say it without generalizing). What JMac said about Gilles, are they all truths? does it matter? cos the viewers who don't know any better will just take his words for it. What do they care anyway. While I can't go on TV to tell them another perspective, I just say it on here. Of course I do realize that I don't know Gilles either, everything I said it's just an observation, but I do think I study the subject in much better depth than JMac has and there should be some truth to it for what I've observed so far. I say my perspective to give ppl something else to think about just in case if they haven't thought about it from that angle already. By the same token, I could totally be too wrapped around at my own little world, only others' opinion serve as a check and balance to my own, so I appreciate yours too.

As for whatever the word pusher means originally, it's all good, but the fact is, the term is interpreted as a derogatory one nowadays, or by majority of ppl. Like a lot of words nowadays, what they mean don't equal to what they are perceived.

Telling you not to call him pusher is probably too strong a tone from me, I apologize. I should have just say I won't call him pusher because I believe that is a derogatory term. I may not like a lot of tennis players and their style out there, but I respect them all the same for getting to where they are at, even the top 500 is not easy to do, it takes commitment and determination. I mean, when I was young, I dream about being an athlete too, and look where I am, stuck in the office :p. How many of us has dreams that didn't come true because we didn't try hard enough to carry them out? Calling them anything, pusher, ballbasher, serve bot, mug... to me is disrespectful. I know ppl on here always said it's for fun, don't take it seriously. Well, I'm just old school I guess. As for calling him pusher is just to be truthful, in your case it is. But we know most of the ppl who said the term mean it in a derogatory manner, therefore, it is just not a nice word to say, IMO anyway.

I know we are all fans of Gilles, but we have different opinions. To me, discussion is fun. Sadly, this kind of discussion only happens in the fan forum, cos GM is hardly a civilized place to carry out a rational discussion of any topic. Then again, I should know not everyone is like me. I'm sorry again if I came across as unfriendly. I love to hear what you have to say, I may not agree but I certainly won't hold it against you, and hopefully you don't hold mine against me :).

No worries lalaland :). Now let's hope Gilles can make it easy on us today. (yeah right :lol:)

Gilloulou
05-30-2012, 02:20 PM
i just can't believe eurosport are showing Bartoli!!!! and Verdasco and not his match

TennisFan2012
05-30-2012, 02:24 PM
I was at the French Open today. Didn't think I would see Gilles but I randomly saw him signing autographs right outside one of the practice courts so I got a little bit lucky. I quickly snapped a picture with my phone (it's not good quality) but I'll try to post it later. Anyway, it was a fun day and I tried to bounce around the outer courts to see players I'd never seen live before although it's nearly impossible to watch matches on any of the outside courts because you have to wait in line forever. It's almost too crowded there.

Hopefully Gilles pulls it out tomorrow, if he plays his best he will win. I think he'll play better now that he's gotten through the first round.

ETA: Glad I didn't have to sit through TTC but John McEnroe has always disliked Gilles for whatever reason. He was trashing him the entire match against Nadal during the '10 US Open. I've always found McEnroe to be a brat though and I don't think he follows tennis enough nowadays to make informed opinions about current players. He just makes things up as he goes along.

Hey, Mike, lucky you! I went to RG years ago and agree it is too crowded. A friend said going later in the tournament makes it much easier on fans as the tournament does not sell as many tickets since there aren't as many pro matches on the outer courts. That sounded like a good idea.

Johnny Mac is being much more complimentary today, but mostly that is due to his focusing on Gilles' play today, which is better so far than last round (knock on wood). He stumbles when he tries to make statements about Simon's "typical" play or behavior (good and bad), which John obviously knows little about. If Gilles keeps playing Americans (again, I don't want to jinx him) John will be forced to learn more about him! :devil:

Lalaland, thanks for the explanation.

Allez!

Gilloulou
05-30-2012, 03:33 PM
can anyone please tell me whats happening and why he's falling apart

misty1
05-30-2012, 03:34 PM
this is going to 5, i can feel it. Honestly i dont give him a grat shot at winning this if he cant fight back and prove me wrong but if bakr holds on i could see him running away with the 5th set

TennisFan2012
05-30-2012, 03:41 PM
IMHO:

1) Baker had a stretch where he played much, much better--and it's continuing.
2) Baker's serve statistics are improving.
3) Simon's serve is dropping off in effectiveness--right now he can't seem to get a first serve in. Now a double fault.

I hope he can let this set go and get a second wind in the 5th.

Gilloulou
05-30-2012, 04:17 PM
face-muscles...back...to...normal

misty1
05-30-2012, 04:21 PM
im glad he proved me wrong. But my god that was scary. Baker had all the momentum in the world and gilles was incredibly frustrated

im glad he bunkered down and won in the end

lalaland
05-30-2012, 04:33 PM
You're killing me, you'll killing me. But I'm glad you won though. I mean, THANK GOD you won!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PHEW!!!!!!!

I didn't watch set 4, I don't what happened there. But looking at the stats now, 60% first serve, 53 winners/35 UEs, not bad, not bad at all. Next is Wawa. Good luck Gilles.

GilleSimonAddict
05-30-2012, 05:23 PM
I just knew it wasn't going to be as easy as Gilles was making it seem early on. I mean a emotional roller coaster ride is par for the course when it comes to a Gilles Simon match. I'm just glad he was able to win in the end because that would've been a devastating loss if he hadn't. The kind of loss that can harm your career for weeks and even months down the line.

Thankfully he composed himself and started playing up to his level again for the 5th set and finished in fine style. Well done Gilou! :clap2:

Gillouthe best
05-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Great job Gilles :), now good luck vs Wawrinka, tough match, Allez!

MsTree
05-30-2012, 09:31 PM
LOL! :cheerleader:

Gilloulou
06-01-2012, 02:09 PM
ahh once again, serving for the set and took like 4 points since in 5 games

lalaland
06-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Well, it's either 5-7 or losing it on TB :p. But I guess I rather the TB then cos at least he'll serve first. Now he serves 2nd in 2nd set and immediately lost his serve, typical. Glad that Stan gave it back to him right away. He needs to make something happen soon cos this match is running away from him. C'mon Gilles, you can do better than this, don't let Stan dictate everything.

Gilloulou
06-01-2012, 02:37 PM
he was playing like another day in the office first set and it was enough to beat wawa. then he got all stiff and now i'm not watching anymore, i find the score tracker much more enjoyable at the moment

Silver.
06-01-2012, 02:43 PM
My university network is finally allowing sport streams! YESSSSS. I can watch Gillou again :cheerleader:

I should be revising but ALLEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Gilloulou
06-01-2012, 02:45 PM
lol unreal, again serving for the set and tanking it

lalaland
06-01-2012, 02:47 PM
I'm sorry but this is it. He's done. :mad:
I'm done. I'm feeling mentally tired just watching this :p.

He's out done by Stan in every category, even the mental, that's when you know he has no chance.

Silver.
06-01-2012, 02:47 PM
What the hell just happened. Major deja vu.

Gilloulou
06-01-2012, 03:01 PM
2 points away from the set, let's see if he can not blow it. and he said he prefer playing this court than chatrier

Gilloulou
06-01-2012, 03:03 PM
haha he won the tiebreak! please wawa just roll over and cramp (nice guy, not wishing him fatality)

lalaland
06-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Thank goodness, he won a TB. Back firmly against the wall and he finally wins a TB. C'mon Gilles. Best of 3 now. You do it.

lalaland
06-01-2012, 03:08 PM
I hope he starts putting some 1st serve in and get some free pts, 47% so far is not good enough.

TennisFan2012
06-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Some great rallies so far in this third set. And Lala--the best news is that Martina N. and Mary C., and not the guys, are commentating. Not surprisingly, both appreciate Gilles' style of play. My guess would be that Martina has seen him play more than has John M. She is excellent at dissecting players' games. I hope he gives her only good stuff to analyze the rest of the match! Allez!!!!

lalaland
06-01-2012, 03:18 PM
This is a match that I'm more nervous when he's ahead :p. While, he has a break at hand right now, see if he can hold on to it. Last year Stan came back from 0-2 down to beat Jo here, he's not rolling over I don't think, although I don't mind if he does.

lalaland
06-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Martina is a Gilles fan. I heard her saying great things about Gilles before.

I would love to hear her commenting right now, but as it is, I'm watching a spanish stream.

misty1
06-01-2012, 03:28 PM
how far did he get here last year? i forget

misty1
06-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Martina is a Gilles fan. I heard her saying great things about Gilles before.

I would love to hear her commenting right now, but as it is, I'm watching a spanish stream.

martina is pretty much the only one i listen to anymore of all of them , even cahill is starting to get on my nerves

lalaland
06-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Broken back. :mad: he can't stay ahead.

C'mon Gilles, c'mon.

lalaland
06-01-2012, 03:36 PM
how far did he get here last year? i forget

Don't know which one you meant, but they both lost at R4.

misty1
06-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Don't know which one you meant, but they both lost at R4.

yeah i meant gilles

lalaland
06-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Whoever gets an early break ended up losing the set in the first 2 sets. I don't like this pattern. :scared:

misty1
06-01-2012, 03:40 PM
i expected this to be a marathon match. I dont expect it to get as bad as isner/mathieu yesterday because both of them have much stronger return games taht a break would probably come faster

however its not good for either one if it goes 5 since they have both played a 4 and a 5 setter already

misty1
06-01-2012, 03:46 PM
i wonder what the odds are he'll win 2 tiebreakers in a row

lalaland
06-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Honestly, he's horrible in every category, I don't know how they are still at even stand so far. I mean a 13/30 W/UE ratio is really bad. And on top, he's allowing himself to get distracted by those photographers in those holes :rolleyes:. But as it stands, they are still even. And we know it's all about who wins that last point that counts. So allez Gilles, you have as much chance as Stan.

lalaland
06-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Won 2 TB in a roll :eek::eek::eek:. Wow.

lalaland
06-01-2012, 04:01 PM
i wonder what the odds are he'll win 2 tiebreakers in a row

It doesn't matter the odds, he's against all odds here ;).

lalaland
06-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Please Gilles, I have to call in late for work this morning, so have mercy and take the 4th set, pretty please.

TennisFan2012
06-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Good job, Gilles. Now start set 4 strongly! They are showing Federer here and cutting away only at critical times to show other matches.

TennisFan2012
06-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Yay, a break! Now hold!

Americans, this match is online on espn3.com. Katrina Adams is commentating and she also seems to like Gilles. Hmmm, do I detect a pattern here, that women appreciate Gilles' play more than men do????

Gilloulou
06-01-2012, 04:20 PM
just steamroll his over-the-average-arse this last set, he is begging for a breadstick, honestly

lalaland
06-01-2012, 04:23 PM
My stream's gone, can't get any of them working :sad::sad::sad:

I'm come back to check the score, I hope I'll find good news.

TennisFan2012
06-01-2012, 04:27 PM
LLL, it's deuce, W serving. Gilles had two break points but couldn't convert. Now ad Gilles.

lalaland
06-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Yay, a break! Now hold!

Americans, this match is online on espn3.com. Katrina Adams is commentating and she also seems to like Gilles. Hmmm, do I detect a pattern here, that women appreciate Gilles' play more than men do????

I can't open my ESPN3 :mad: either. Jeez, this sucks. Well, I'll for sure check the replay later to listen to the ladies.

TennisFan2012
06-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Oh no, Gilles let him back in with a break.

Gilloulou
06-01-2012, 04:53 PM
they should stop playing best of 5 in GS, it's really hurting his chances

MsTree
06-01-2012, 04:59 PM
WTF??? He's won 2 TBs!!! :cheerleader: allez!!!

Cmon Gillou - haven't often got to see you this week!

Gilloulou
06-01-2012, 05:19 PM
well the ride is about to end. won't even defend the points. as usual, spent his best at the wrong tournaments. i'll suck on my toe if the end result is different :]

lalaland
06-01-2012, 05:25 PM
That's it, double break down, no chance. Another year, another disappointment at RG. Gosh, I feel bitter.

misty1
06-01-2012, 05:28 PM
:sad:

MsTree
06-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Feck!!! :o Oh Gilles!!! :bigcry:

Gilloulou
06-01-2012, 05:34 PM
seriously, he should read the article on Deuce again. Maybe he'll play the part better. unreal, serve for both sets and can't finish the job. without any pressure from wawrinka, all by himself.

Gilloulou
06-01-2012, 06:05 PM
so anyone has an idea what's his problem winning in straight sets? in general that is

TennisFan2012
06-01-2012, 06:16 PM
I'm sure he's very disappointed that he had a break in the fourth and let the match slip away. It's as if he loses focus at the same time that his opponent begins to clean up his game. Martina believes he should work with a coach who will get him to come to the net more often and put away the point. I agree with her; he clearly has the speed to do it, and the touch/aim; he's just too reluctant to come forward when he has chances. She says he's not too old to learn a new tactic.

Gilloulou
06-01-2012, 06:28 PM
martina, we've been saying for over a year he should get a new coach or add someone to the team :] where is that summer of 2008 gone...

well, out with the voodoo doll, next job at hand is to pray we won't have to suffer another 10 hours match between the joker and nadal in the final.

rtgy
06-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Feck!!! :o Oh Gilles!!! :bigcry:

Les:smooch: :hug:

rtgy
06-01-2012, 08:06 PM
My stream's gone, can't get any of them working :sad::sad::sad:

:sad:

:hug:

lalaland
06-01-2012, 09:59 PM
:hug:

:hug:. Thanks. I need that. Sucks that tennis starts like 2am in the morning for me, so when it got rotten so early, it pretty much ruined my day. Not to mention I spend the rest of my day half asleep :o. Oh well.

Martina should give Gilles some advices when she runs in to him next time, maybe he'll listen ;).

I think he needs a shrink :p. Then again, shrink is not miracle worker.
I want this: 1. if he can cut down those jitters when closing out set/match. Same for TB, I mean, except the 2 TBs today, he’s been losing them with loose errors, double faulting, completely crumbled by his nerve. Is there ways to train yourself to not get tight? 2: staying calm and not wasting those emotional energy. I’m beating the dead horse I know, but he needs to stop getting mad and frustrated at himself. Emotions like anger, are very energy consuming. For a guy who pride on himself on fitness, he should never lose a match due to fitness. I’m not saying today he did, because Stan came up with the good at the end. But he’s definitely losing steam. He lost to Tipsy in Madrid cos he ran out of steam in the 3rd, to Benny in AO same thing in the 5th. He plays such an exhausting style that fitness is often the key, once he loses his fitness, everything goes. He said that himself, his game depends on his fitness, if he feels good, he can do anything. Then don’t get tired before your opponent does. Use the energy wisely is all I can say.

lalaland
06-01-2012, 10:27 PM
bits of his itw on L'Equipe:

Simon : «Ça fait mal»

Eliminé au 3e tour par Stanislas Wawrinka en cinq sets, Gilles Simon regrette surtout d'avoir, encore une fois, perdu en Grand Chelem un match qu'il aurait pu gagner.

«Gilles Simon, qu'est-ce qui vous déçoit le plus : d'avoir mené dans les quatre premiers sets, ou l'écroulement de la fin du match ?
Ce qui me déçoit le plus, c'est de ne pas avoir été meilleur, c'est aussi simple que ça. C'était un match difficile mais un très bon match, avec une défaite au bout qui fait mal. C'est le cas lors de mes trois derniers Grands Chelems, c'est un peu le bal des occasions manquées à chaque fois. Mais bon j'en gagne aussi des très serrés. Aujourd'hui, j'ai servi pour le gain du premier set, j'ai mené deux sets à un, 3-1 dans le quatrième, avec des balles de double-break... Forcément c'est décevant. Cela dit, si on regarde bien, les deuxième et troisième manches, je peux les perdre aussi quelque part. Il faut voir que lui aussi a fait un match énorme. Bravo à lui !

Que s'est-il passé sur la fin : la défaillance était surtout physique ?
Toujours un peu, oui. Je n'arrivais plus à avancer comme au troisième set. Le seul endroit où je baisse vraiment, c'est au service. Du coup je n'avais plus le contrôle de l'échange sur mes mises en jeu. Et lui commence à bien servir. Il prend la balle tôt, il frappe fort, il était difficile à jouer.

Vous ne pensez pas ne pas avoir pris assez de risques par moment ?
Sur le terrain, on fait des choix en permanence. J'ai dû en faire mille aujourd'hui. Et c'est ce qui restera éternellement le plus difficile pour nous. Et vous, les journalistes ou les gens en général, vous ne retenez que le résultat. A 3-1 au quatrième, sur la première balle de break, je le fais jouer, et il fait une attaque qui flirte avec la bande. Sur la deuxième, je prends ma chance, je frappe fort et moi je reste dans la bande. Qu'est-ce qui fait qu'une panenka c'est génial ou c'est de l'enflammage (sic) ? Le fait qu'elle rentre ou pas.

Cela commence à faire plusieurs matches très serrés que vous perdez en Grand Chelem...
Ce match me fait penser à celui contre Benneteau en Australie cette année (défaite au 2e tour : 7-5, 7-6 (8), 1-6, 3-6, 6-2) ou Isner à l'US Open 2011 (défaite en 8es : 7-6 (2), 3-6, 7-6 (2), 7-6 (4)). Les matches en cinq sets c'est toujours dur, mais bon, j'en ai gagnés aussi. Quand tu sors comme ça sur un Grand Chelem, qui est tout de même le tournoi où tu as envie de bien jouer, c'est très décevant. Je préfère largement un Open d'Australie 2011 où je perds contre Federer (6-2, 6-3, 4-6, 4-6, 6-3) mais où je ne peux rien faire, ou le Roland-Garros de l'année dernière où je prends une rouste en huitièmes (6-2, 6-3, 7-6 (5) face à Söderling), ça laisse moins de regrets... Là, ça commence à faire beaucoup.»

GilleSimonAddict
06-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Well, I feel like I have finally recovered enough to finally comment about Gilles' latest disappointing loss. The fact is, he should've won this match in straight sets. When he didn't, he had chances to win it in four sets. After that, he had no more chances. There was a game in the fourth set at 3-1 break point chance for Gilles to go up a double break which surely would've won the match for him where he decided to run around his back hand and crack a forehand off of Wawrinka's second serve and netted it badly. I think that was a big mistake because it is such a low percentage shot and Gilles was on a roll at that point in the match playing much better in rallies from the baseline.

He should've just returned the ball and rallied with Wawrinka because I believe he had a much better chance of drawing an error or Wawrinka simply committing an unforced error due to the pressure of being down a break already and facing a second possible break of serve, but by Gilles deciding to take a one shot crack at the second serve he didn't give Wawrinka any opportunity to choke on his own or maybe even win the rally against him himself. After that he started losing badly and never regained his composure.

Anyway, it sucks and I was bummed for quite a while afterwards, which is why I wasn't here commenting on it with all of you. I just had to walk away and take a breather and unwind. Gilles is really at a crossroads right now. He either is going to figure things out, or he is simply going to keep coming up short. I hope it's the former and not the latter.

When Gilles gets beat like he did against Almagro in the Nice semis, I can handle it. You just say, Almagro was too good on that day, and move on. But when Gilles loses the match, and let's be honest, Gilles lost the match Wawrinka didn't win it from him, there is a difference, then it becomes harder to swallow and deal with.

Gilles did play some good tennis here this year at RG and come back against Harrison from a set down and 5-4 40-15 on Harrison's serve serving to go up two sets to love to win it in four, as well as prevent Baker from pulling off his comeback, but the fact is, he should've won against baker in straights and the same with Wawrinka.

Nonetheless, good effort Gilles and you'll still always be my number 1 even if you drive me crazy in the process. http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/102.gif http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/35.gif

Gilloulou
06-02-2012, 12:34 AM
i totally agree with that, he should have won this match in straight sets. i just stopped watching at a certain point - thank god for that...

but still, he lost this match 2 days ago and 4 days ago, where he should have won the first 2 matches in straight sets. he can't afford stretching matches in GS like he does in regular tourneys. it's best of 5 here, not 3, and the other players are apparently more motivated than he is to do better in the big ones. how many 4-5 setters can anyone play before going out? judging from his recent performances, not enough to even carry you to the 2nd week.

small frame man, you won't get many chances to shine on the big stage...

Gilloulou
06-02-2012, 12:45 AM
phew ive been ranting hysterically these last few days, usually i just read, not commenting :] well, my friends won't bare to hear me talk about him too much so sorry all :] mic out, good night.

and to quote the only player i ever loved more than Simon (Marcelo Rios of course): "Grass is for Cows". All England Club, here we go :]]]

FlameOn
06-02-2012, 01:24 AM
:rolleyes::sobbing:. So many faves out in one day :mad:.

lalaland
06-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Well, I agree with everything except that other players are more motivated than him. It's more a case of him unable to handle the pressure more than he's lacking the motivation to win. The inability to do deep in GS has been a monkey on his back, and the more slams pass without him making an impression, the more pressure built. He couldn't win that Harrison match in 3 bcos he's completely paralyzed with nerve in the first set, could hardly put the ball in play. I don't think the other player wants it more, I think he wants it too much, that's what crippling his play. If only he can find a way to play more relax...

lalaland
07-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Back to clay next week. Allez!!!!!!!!!!

Hope he gets a good draw, lots of points to defend.

mike s.
07-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Back to clay next week. Allez!!!!!!!!!!

Hope he gets a good draw, lots of points to defend.

Because I'm a pessimist by nature, I checked to see the worst that could happen and the good news is that he'd only drop to around 14th in the rankings depending on what others do next week if he lost first round. Hopefully he won't have too much pressure with the points to defend. It's been his best surface this year so hopefully he plays well this week!

lalaland
07-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Hamburg Draw, bottom half:
17 TROICKI, Viktor SRB vs 18 ROSOL, Lukas CZE
19 ANDUJAR, Pablo ESP vs 20 RAMOS, Albert ESP
21 QUALIFIER vs 22 ROBREDO, Tommy ESP
23 CIPOLLA, Flavio ITA vs 24 CILIC, Marin CRO

25 MAYER, Florian GER vs 26 QUALIFIER
27 BACHINGER, Matthias GER vs 28 HAASE, Robin NED
29 HAAS, Tommy GER vs 30 KLIZAN, Martin SVK
31 BERLOCQ, Carlos ARG vs 32 SIMON, Gilles FRA

First opponent Berlocq, :lol:. Gilles better wins if he wants to convince ppl that the S.A. trip was really just a disaster from a distance memory.

But damn, this draw is tough. Haas will be 2nd round, Tommy is always great playing in front of home crowd. And then F. Mayer, definitely someone Gilles hates to play against. I should check the weather in Hamburg and hope for storm ;). Allez Gilles, you can defend your title. Or if you can't, at least win some matches.

Double draw:

BHUPATHI, Mahesh/IND BOPANNA, Rohan 1 vs SOARES, Bruno/GER WASKE, Alexander
FRA CHARDY, Jeremy/FRA SIMON, Gilles vs GER KAS, Christopher/SRB TROICKI, Viktor

They have a chance for winning the first one, maybe. Allez Frenchies.

misty1
07-14-2012, 05:56 PM
thats just a draw straight from hell

Gillouthe best
07-14-2012, 07:48 PM
What a horror draw :mad:, hope he avenges his losses to Charly, and Haas will be very very tough if he gets there, as well as Flo Mayer.

misty1
07-14-2012, 07:53 PM
his section of the draw is horrible enough but then he's more than likely got one of cilic or robredo after all that.

i wish him the best but i cant help but be afraid he's going down early

GilleSimonAddict
07-14-2012, 11:34 PM
I don't know. I see this as very much an "up in the air" sort of draw so to speak. A lot of this will depend on which Gilles shows up to the tournament, but if he plays well, I could see him making it to the quarters/semis at least. I will try and be optimistic about it and hope that maybe Haas and Mayer don't do so well in their matches with the quick turnaround from grass to clay. We'll see I guess.

Good luck Gilles! :cheerleader:

MsTree
07-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Jeez! :o that draw! :tape: Allez Gilles though! :cheerleader:

FlameOn
07-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Sloane Stephens reckons when she worked as a ballgirl once Gilles hit her with a ball and didn't apologize :rolleyes:. Trouble sure is following him lately :o.

FlameOn
07-15-2012, 02:32 PM
For the record I doubt very much doubt Gilles would physically harm someone on purpose :yeah:.

Gillouthe best
07-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Sloane Stephens reckons when she worked as a ballgirl once Gilles hit her with a ball and didn't apologize :rolleyes:. Trouble sure is following him lately :o.

We talked about this earlier on other thread, and it's impossible, because that happened in 2003/2004 ( when Stephens was 10), years in which Gilles didn't played in the USA :rolleyes:.

mike s.
07-15-2012, 04:19 PM
We talked about this earlier on other thread, and it's impossible, because that happened in 2003/2004 ( when Stephens was 10), years in which Gilles didn't played in the USA :rolleyes:.

Exactly, I've already given my opinion on this but it's likely a case of mistaken identity based on the timeline. Anyway, even if he did (which I seriously doubt considering he's never been defaulted), she needs to get over it. Who would still care about something like that ten years later? Plus, what relevance does that have to whether someone is a good person. Even Henman got defaulted for hitting a ballkid once. People make mistakes, especially as teenagers.

As for the more important topic, I think the draw is tough but manageable. If he plays like he did during the spring claycourt season, he should make at least the semis but who knows with him.

lalaland
07-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Just cut and paste what I said in the other thread:

Gilles was playing Future events in Europe 9 years ago, in 2003. Checked his play activities and he was playing Futures in Europe 2003 and 2004, not at the level to travel overseas to play challenger yet which is a higher level. ... how many players has hit a ball in anger before? if he hit it at a ballgirl, he would have been defaulted immediately. The fact that he's never been defaulted, means either 1: it wasn't intentional and the ball didn't hit her directly (cos if it wasn't intentional but the ball still hit a ballgirl directly, he would still have been defaulted all the same). 2: it wasn't him at all, since he's like an ocean away when Stephens got hit by the ball.

Back to Hamburg. Before last year, his record in Hamburg was 4-5. So, I just can't help but worry about his chance. Then again, like Mike said, he's going to drop to 14 after Hamburg's point drop off, which is really not that bad. I can't wait for the clay season to be over :p. Let's get on it.
Allez Gilles, hopefully the good one shows up ;).

misty1
07-15-2012, 07:31 PM
every time a player kind of has a break through at a tournament where they've done poorly before i always wait to see how they perform in it when they get back

my fingers are crossed for him. Even though he wouldnt fall far i still would hope he can win a match or 2

lalaland
07-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Well, it's a Hamburg breakthrough for him, a tournament specific, he has already won 3 clay tournaments before that, so it's not like he still needs to come back to prove that he can win on clay, or win a final. All the players he had beaten last Hamburg, he had beaten them elsewhere before, so it's not like something really special happened, only special thing is that it's in Hamburg.

But anyway, we'll find out soon enough, he is playing tomorrow:
Center Court, starts time 12:00pm
Delbonis Vs Robredo

Not before 2:30pm
Berlocq Vs Simon

http://bet-at-home-open.com/fileadmin/content/pdf/Draws/2012/OP_1607.pdf

Gilloulou
07-15-2012, 07:57 PM
sorry all, but i actually think it's a very easy draw for him. we'll see how he plays though :]

lalaland
07-15-2012, 08:41 PM
sorry all, but i actually think it's a very easy draw for him. we'll see how he plays though :]

Nothing to be sorry for, I definitely hope you are right.

Not that I'm too confident that he'll win tomorrow, but if he loses to Berlocq again, I'll be very mad at him. :lol:
To me, Mayer is the toughest for him. I'm not too worry about the likes of Cilic or Robredo, or even Almagro now since I heard Nico is not well. If Gilles can past the first half of the week, he has good chance.

Gillouthe best
07-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Allez Gilles vs Berlocq tomorrow! Till 2012 he had won his meeetings vs Charly fairly easily, but it was on european soil. I think that he should win, but I'm a bit nervous because of the SA disaster. And also, Marin could be difficult for Gilles, the croat has won 2 titles in 1 and a half month.

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Two breaks down already :banghead:

mike s.
07-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Looks like it's going to be 0-3 against Berlocq. I actually thought he came out playing fine but Berlocq was playing incredible defense and it's frustrating Gilles. Hopefully he can turn it around.

lalaland
07-16-2012, 01:02 PM
What a nervy start, UEs everywhere... horrible.

lalaland
07-16-2012, 01:12 PM
C'mon Gilles, you can do better than this, you're 12th in the world FFS :mad:

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Great hold for Gilles 2-*3, he saved 2 BP's in this game.

mike s.
07-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Did Berlocq give him that first serve? That was really nice of him if that's what happened.

misty1
07-16-2012, 01:29 PM
come on gilles break him back

0-30

misty1
07-16-2012, 01:31 PM
okay, come on gilles 2 chances

misty1
07-16-2012, 01:32 PM
back on serve:)

4-4

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Now 4-4, keep it up Gilles, he's cutting the errors down but he's so tight at BP's. Also, he is running around his BH a lot, c'mon Gilles have more confidence in it, it's a great shot.

misty1
07-16-2012, 01:36 PM
come on gilles hold your serve

misty1
07-16-2012, 01:39 PM
ffs gilles:mad:

berlocq serving for the set

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Really good anticipation by Berlocq to break, but c'mon Gilles :rolleyes:, all this effort in vain.

Gilloulou
07-16-2012, 01:40 PM
so how bad is he playing right now?

GilleSimonAddict
07-16-2012, 01:44 PM
so how bad is he playing right now?

He's not really playing bad, but he is making some rather bad decisions on crucial points like running around his backhand and leaving the entire court open repeatedly.

misty1
07-16-2012, 01:45 PM
and there's the set:sad:

mike s.
07-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Unfortunately I'm going to miss the rest of this, maybe he'll do better when I'm not watching :p

Gilloulou
07-16-2012, 01:48 PM
good for me that i'm not watching... hopefully a nice surprise will wait within a couple of hours (1 hour to lose a set 6-4, shame...)

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 01:49 PM
I would love him to comeback, but I doubt it. He has only made a 1 set deficit comeback three times this year ( Kubot @ Bucarest, Fog @ Madrid and Harrrison in RG). Plus, I think he's lackng belief in his bH and on himself really. Also his serve is really bad this days.

Gillouthe best
Good service game, 2 FH winners, Allez!

Gilloulou
28% winning on 2nd serve, impossible to win like that, even on WTA

GilleSimonAddict
07-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Got to be honest, but right now, i'm sensing a first round exist for Gilles. I hope i'm wrong and he just floors Berlocq in the next two sets, but I doubt it. He works so hard to get back even and then blew it with some poor shot choices at 4 all. Hopefully he will prove that he wants it and thinks it's worth the effort still.

misty1
07-16-2012, 01:56 PM
2 holds at love to start the 2nd set

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Finally some good backhands :yeah:. He needs to work on his smashes though, he cant make a winner out of them.

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 01:59 PM
If he cuts down his UE's he can win this. Some really bad BH volleys on this game, but two good FH's.

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Great point from Gilles :bowdown:, really quick.

GilleSimonAddict
07-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Hell of a get right there from Gilles to give him the break!!! :bigclap:

misty1
07-16-2012, 02:02 PM
gilles breaks

3-1

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Gilles can't keep a break :mad:

misty1
07-16-2012, 02:05 PM
oh come on:rolleyes:

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Great point construction to save two BP's.

GilleSimonAddict
07-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Excellent point construction there from Gilles and a good hold to boot. My hope is that Berlocq will start to tire now too because Gilles is really running him ragged from side to side.

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 02:13 PM
4-*1 up, Allez :)

misty1
07-16-2012, 02:15 PM
saves a couple break points and holds, good job gilles

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 02:19 PM
He wasted a 0-30 with some loose errors. Now another BH volley missed :sad:, but two good smashes :eek:, but an FH UE :mad:, 30/30.

misty1
07-16-2012, 02:22 PM
facing break point again

misty1
07-16-2012, 02:22 PM
why does he play so badly when he's ahead?

he was cruising at the start of the set when things were even

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Again two BP's saved :yeah:, but another for Berlocq after Gillou doesn't put away the volley. He's volleying so bad today.

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Another saved, Allez!

misty1
07-16-2012, 02:25 PM
3 more break points saved in this game so far

misty1
07-16-2012, 02:25 PM
now game point, lets go gilles!

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Another great hold :) 5-*2 up, well done Gilles, his point at 40/40 was great.

misty1
07-16-2012, 02:26 PM
great hold

GilleSimonAddict
07-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Hoping for a break for Gilles here so he can start on serve in the third. That's always a big advantage.

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Good points from Gilles, 30/40, lucky netcord for set point. Allez!

misty1
07-16-2012, 02:32 PM
set point

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 02:33 PM
And now bad luck, his BH is out by a cm.

The Rocket
07-16-2012, 02:34 PM
C'mon Gilles close this set out

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 02:39 PM
And Berlocq holds :mad:

misty1
07-16-2012, 02:39 PM
gilles cant break, he'll have to serve for the set

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 02:40 PM
What a weak FH volley from Gilles, he's getting so tight, 0/30.

GilleSimonAddict
07-16-2012, 02:41 PM
You've got to be f'ing kidding me Gilles??? :facepalm:

misty1
0-40:mad::rolleyes::o

Gillouthe best
And Berlocq breaks, he can't close out a set, it was so expected after he lost those Set Points.

misty1
07-16-2012, 02:42 PM
you have to be f*cking kidding me

GilleSimonAddict
07-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Looks like Gilles has turned his brain off and tucked his tail between his legs again.

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 02:45 PM
And now Charly is playing great, he's going to lose, he can't make an attacking shot. He's looking up at the crowd, i don't know to who. 5/5, c'mon Gilles.

misty1
07-16-2012, 02:46 PM
8 straight points lost

he needs a good hold here

GilleSimonAddict
07-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Of course now he holds at love. One game too late there Gilles. :rolleyes:

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 02:48 PM
And now he holds to love :rolleyes:, also Berlocq grunting has gone higher, it's really annoying.

misty1
07-16-2012, 02:48 PM
great hold at love..where in the hell was that at 5-3?:mad:

needs to break here because he is so not winning a tiebreaker

GilleSimonAddict
07-16-2012, 02:49 PM
also Berlocq grunting has gone higher, it's really annoying.

He's reminding me of Granollers.

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 02:53 PM
This is going to a TB, that miss at 15-15 was so bad, again running around his BH.

GilleSimonAddict
Whelp, tiebreak time. As Gilles Simon fans, we all know what that means.

misty1
tiebreak

for the love of god will you please win one of these?

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 02:57 PM
He can't make a BH volley to save his life, and now Berlocq gets the MB.

Gillouthe best
And a great combo ( BH + FH) to get the minibreak back, 3-3.

misty1
and the mb to berlocq:sad:

quick to get it back though

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 02:59 PM
What an easy FH missed at 3/3 :sad:, now 4-4.

Gillouthe best
07-16-2012, 03:02 PM
And he wins the point, another setpoint for Gilles, please Gillou.

misty1
07-16-2012, 03:02 PM
set point!

GilleSimonAddict
07-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Yippe