2012 Hardcourt all the way! 100% going forward! Hopefully. [Archive] - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

2012 Hardcourt all the way! 100% going forward! Hopefully.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

lalaland
04-19-2012, 08:49 PM
OOP tomorrow:

Last match on Center Court:
Simon Vs Tsonga

Hopefully it won't rain tomorrow.
Allez Gilles!

mike s.
04-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Is that right? Gael is in love with Gilles, he calls Gilles his chowchow (or sth like that), and Jo is in love with Gael. Wow, what a messy Frenchie triangle there :lol:, and it's all Gilles fault, as usual :p.

Simon and Tsonga basically grew up together. From the articles I read in the past, while they weren't friends initially, they were roommates throughout their junior days and at futures events and really opened up to each other and became close friends later on. Jo used to talk about how Gilles could eat anything and play video games all the time and yet still be really fit :lol:

lalaland
04-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Gilles, Jo and Gael, all 3 grew up together in INSEP, so they are very good friends since childhood. There was an article during last Olympic, another French athlete who also grew up in INSEP with the 3 wrote about his impression of these 3 when they were kids. It was a good read. I think you can still find it in the article thread if you haven't read it.

lalaland
04-19-2012, 09:30 PM
btw, I saw a thread in GM talking about players' serve percentage, that gets me wondering, why Gilles has such low 1st serve percentage, what specifically is he struggling with his serve? He said he can't serve properly, I wonder why. Any of you have any opinion on that?

mike s.
04-19-2012, 10:06 PM
btw, I saw a thread in GM talking about players' serve percentage, that gets me wondering, why Gilles has such low 1st serve percentage, what specifically is he struggling with his serve? He said he can't serve properly, I wonder why. Any of you have any opinion on that?

My guess is that his back problems affected his serve earlier this year and he hasn't been able to get it together again even if he's feeling better physically. I haven't noticed anything technically different though that's causing the problem.

sammy01
04-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Simon and Tsonga basically grew up together. From the articles I read in the past, while they weren't friends initially, they were roommates throughout their junior days and at futures events and really opened up to each other and became close friends later on. Jo used to talk about how Gilles could eat anything and play video games all the time and yet still be really fit :lol:

i'm saying nothing, but thats how i ended up gay :lol:

GilleSimonAddict
04-20-2012, 01:32 AM
Gilles, Jo and Gael, all 3 grew up together in INSEP, so they are very good friends since childhood. There was an article during last Olympic, another French athlete who also grew up in INSEP with the 3 wrote about his impression of these 3 when they were kids. It was a good read. I think you can still find it in the article thread if you haven't read it.

Jo has a funny way of showing his friendship towards Gilles these days :mad:

I think a lot of it has to do with confidence, or lack thereof, too. Especially when things get tight. Gilles unfortunately isn't as confident now as he was during that wonderful run to 6 in the world. I really wish he would start believing in himself again. Boy's got serious game despite his size and weight. He's a hell of a competitor. He just needs to get out of his own way sometimes. More often then not when Gilles loses a match, he's beaten by himself more so than his opponent. Not always, but most of the time.

sammy01
04-20-2012, 02:41 AM
gilles 1st serve percentage is low cus he tends to go for his 1st serves. for his size and build he gets a lot of cheap points on his serve.

given he has to work hard for points and his 2nd serve has a lot of spin on and is not overly attackable, i think he knows risking big 1st serves for cheap points is worth the low percentage.

FlameOn
04-20-2012, 02:42 AM
gilles is in love with jo, hard to beat someone when you have feelings for them lol
I don't blame him :angel:.

lalaland
04-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Gilles won the first set, a eventful first set, first he got 2 breaks gifted from Jo, gave 1 back, then he served for the match and put 4 UEs in to give it back to Jo in a massive choke style. Jo gave him another break. And Gilles called the trainer because he's feeling fainty, then he served the match out somehow (probably distracted by illness and hence forgot to choke). And in changeover after Set 1, took a bunch of pills from the doctor.

I hope he can hang on to at least finish this match, and win it.

Allez Gilles.

lalaland
04-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Well, things didn't go so well, got broken in first serve game in 2nd. Looks like he's change game plan bcos he's not feeling well, and he just missed the precision and maybe rushing a little too. Sitting down at 0-3, and took more pill from trainer. Hope those medicine kicked in sooner. But it's really not looking good, he's hanging his head a little.

lalaland
04-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Ah, damnit, I feel sad, this is so unfortunate for him to get sick now. I think it will be hard for him to win this one now. :sad:

lalaland
04-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Well, hope is back, for me at least. He broke back. Jo continue to be horrendous, and Gilles seems to start getting some energy back. Now it's on serve 3-4. C'mon Gilles, you can do it. C'mon.

lalaland
04-20-2012, 06:12 PM
4 all. He's definitely looking better now.

lalaland
04-20-2012, 06:20 PM
He won. That's incredible how bad Jo is. I must say most credit to Jo for being in a giving mood. Unreal.

Congrats Gilles.

mike s.
04-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Bizarre match, but I will take the points. Gilles played well in spots and actually had more depth on his shots than Jo. That said, Jo was horrible. Hopefully Gilles feels better tomorrow or it could be ugly against Nadal.

GilleSimonAddict
04-20-2012, 06:32 PM
A very satisfying win for Gilles and for me as well, not just because it's for a place in the semis of a masters 1000 event, but for who his opponent was. I think a win over Tsonga, no matter how it came, has been a long time coming for him. I'm glad Simon was the one to play spoiler for Tsonga's semifinal opportunity, and yes Tsonga, this time it was all Gilles Simon's fault! :devil: :D

misty1
04-20-2012, 06:38 PM
am i missing something here about gilles and jo?

anyway a really good win for gilles. Sucks that he's gotten sick and even more that next up is nadal. I just hope he can go out and put on a good performance

BroTree123
04-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Congrats Simon fans. Clownga was trying to be the biggest clown in the entire world today, but oh well congrats nonetheless :yeah:.

lalaland
04-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Bizarre match, but I will take the points. Gilles played well in spots and actually had more depth on his shots than Jo. That said, Jo was horrible. Hopefully Gilles feels better tomorrow or it could be ugly against Nadal.

Very bizarre indeed. It's nothing like yesterday's. But somehow, Frenchies matches are always bizarre, those Gilles played anyway. And a ugly match, but I think no matter how he won this, it's good for him, he has such hard time winning against Jo before, at least he got the H2H a little better looking. As for tomorrow, if he's still not feeling well, the match could breeze past him. I'm not thinking that he has a chance anyway even if he's 100% (sorry Gilles), as usual, when he plays a top 4, I only hope for a decent scoreline :o. Allez Gilles, hope he's okay.

sammy01
04-20-2012, 07:21 PM
ok lets get the real stuff over with, he was clean shaved so looked the sex!

right onto the tennis lol. tsonga's crappy technique was on full display today, make him play 8 or 9 shots and you know he will miss, gilles made him play a lot of balls today.

tsonga is crappy on clay, cant come to net like he does on other surfaces to shorten points and not have to rally so much.

i'd like it if giles could draw tsonga or janko on these clay masters instead or drawing murray week in week out lol.

anyways win or lose against nadal he done me proud and will still look the sex out there.

lalaland
04-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Congrats Simon fans. Clownga was trying to be the biggest clown in the entire world today, but oh well congrats nonetheless :yeah:.

Must pained you very much that Gilles won. Well, maybe you should join the club here, when you can't beat them, join them, you know ;).
Hope you are okay though :hug:.

Gillouthe best
04-20-2012, 07:40 PM
First M-1000 SF since Madrid 2008, great results this year on M-1000, bad thing he looked exhausted and with little chance vs Rafa. Allez Gilles, do what you can vs Rafa!

Tutu
04-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Honestly, it's not like Nadal has exactly been amazing this week. If Gilles can serve well and get the balance right between offense and defense he can certainly make it difficult for Rafa. We'll see.

lalaland
04-20-2012, 10:54 PM
For the record, I'm just generally a very conservative person, with genes of a pessimist.

---------------------------

Anyway, the interview after R3:

G. SIMON/J. Tipsarevic
6-0, 4-6, 6-1

An interview with: GILLES SIMON
THE MODERATOR: Questions in French for Gilles.

Q. It was a tactical and physical match. Did you like that match?
GILLES SIMON: I believe it was more physical than tactical. I liked the conditions. They were heavy and slow. I hadn't anticipated that he would play the way he did, playing long rallies, being patient. In fact, it suited me. I like playing like that.
But it was a tough match. It's easy to get to the ball. You don't miss. Whatever you do, the ball stays in the court. So it's difficult to win a point.

Q. It was 6 Love and 6 1, but in between there was that second set. What happened?
GILLES SIMON: Well, after 6 Love, 1 Love, he served with new balls and he took more risks with his serve. He made three aces in one game. I was able to come back in the third set also with new balls. I tried to have him play my game with long rallies.

Q. Did it help knowing you could stay on the court longer than he could?
GILLES SIMON: Yes. He was annoyed after the first set. He had many reasons to be because we had very long rallies, very tight games, and the score was 6 Love. I understand he was frustrated. But I know if he plays that type of game, I am better than him.

Q. Physically you seemed to play relaxed and freely. Can we say your back problems are over?
GILLES SIMON: The problem is never over. For the time being, everything is fine. I'm taking advantage of it. As I always said, if I'm able to play several tournaments in a row and practice without having a pain in my back, then I immediately feel my game is improving. I serve better, and my shots are better. But I need to be able to practice the week before I get to a tournament, et cetera.
My last losses against Isner in Indian Wells and here in Davis Cup were losses where I had no excuses, apart from feeling the pain in my back. If I'm playing and I can't even turn my head around, there's nothing I can draw from the match.

Q. You seemed to have struck the right balance between aggressiveness and playing defensively during that match.
GILLES SIMON: Yes, I did. I played well. We had long rallies. When this is the case, I feel I can relax. I know he's not going to out run me, so I'm not panicking, and this is when I play best.

Q. The next match will be against Tsonga. You beat him in Rome the last time you played.
GILLES SIMON: Rome was tough. He saved three match points. He said one, but I think he forgot the other two.
It was a good match. I was able to be ahead in the score all the time. So, again, I expect a tough match against Jo because he plays very well on clay, despite what he always says.
In Davis Cup we practiced a lot together, and I know his game can be extremely bothersome on clay, like on any other surface, for that matter. I will have to hang in there, show him I'm always there, and that he can't have a letdown at any moment because then I will be back.

Q. There were two serious injuries here. Is there a problem with the courts?
GILLES SIMON: Well, I believe the center court is better than the other courts. I don't remember any problem on that one. However, I played on No. 9 or No. 11, I don't remember which, and there there was a problem. Maybe it was just bad luck. Sometimes there are those catastrophic tournaments, like in the US Open one year.
I heard there were problems because of the frost here this year. I believe it's a bit early in the year to play here because when it rains it starts getting cold. But we did play with wonderful weather in the Davis Cup here, so it's just bad luck.

Q. There will be two French players in the quarterfinals here. This is rare, isn't it? Is it because you were here for the Davis Cup; it felt like home?
GILLES SIMON: Davis Cup helped. Davis Cup helped me, but also the fact that I played on clay in February. So when I came back to this surface, I was able to move very well from the start.
Another reason that we have two French players in the quarterfinals is that one of the four is missing. Usually you have to beat one of those four to get to the quarterfinals. So it was a bit easier this year.
But I would have preferred to play someone else.

Q. This means there will be at least one French player in the semifinal.
GILLES SIMON: Yes, and also I think I prefer to play Jo than one of the other three. But everything is relative.

Q. Would you rate Jo on clay at the same level as Soderling, Berdych, those types of players?
GILLES SIMON: I believe so. It's just that he plays less on clay. He only plays the clay court season, which is six weeks. It is easy to have bad luck in one match or something. But if he played more clay court tournaments, I'm sure he would be able to win one. I prefer to play him here than in the French Open. I also prefer to play Isner here than in the U.S., and still I lost that match here.
Tsonga can play very well on clay. He beat Monaco on clay at the French Open in very fair conditions.

Q. Did you practice a lot together during the Davis Cup?
GILLES SIMON: Well, we played five games, or maybe even a set. I can't remember. I think he won. But I had arrived Monday, and this was Tuesday.

Q. Jo and you have had a record in this region. In 2004 you won the doubles in Grasse.
GILLES SIMON: Well, if I want to win the doubles, it has to be with Jo.

Puschkin
04-21-2012, 09:03 AM
I was at the match yesterday, conditions were not easy and the quality was not great, but OMG, how I love this result, I also saw Gilles practsing at around 1.00 pm. Tulasne and Quétin there and I thought the sparring was Eysseric, but I might be totally wrong. Gilles talking a lot even during practise as usual.

Kezzi
04-21-2012, 11:34 AM
I can see the Nadal match in high quality on tv. I'm sooo happy France 2 is showing it and for me French commenters are the best (I can't understand, so they sound hilarious to me ;) ). It has been ages since I've seen Gilles, cause my laptop can't handle streams. :(
France 2 and TV5 are the only French channels I get, so I just had to share my happiness here. :D :dance:

MsTree
04-21-2012, 11:52 AM
YAY!!! :dance: :cheerleader: :dance:
I've been working away so haven't seen any of Monte Carlo. but what fab news that Gillou beat Jo! :D ALLEZ!!!

FlameOn
04-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Allez! :speakles:

misty1
04-21-2012, 01:38 PM
good luck today gillou, hoping for the miracle

lalaland
04-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Gilles Simon Friday Press Conference
Monte-Carlo, Monaco

G. SIMON/J. Tsonga
7-5, 6-4
An interview with:

GILLES SIMON
THE MODERATOR: Questions in French for Gilles.

Q. After the match you said it was a strange match. Can you explain what you meant?
GILLES SIMON: It was a strange match for two reasons. The first one is that he didn't start the match well at all, especially for the second break. It was different than what I expected because I thought I should be aggressive, and he was playing defensive. Also the conditions tonight were very difficult because with the sun setting, it was sometimes hiding behind a building and reappearing, so it was changing all the time. It was difficult for both of us. I had trouble staying focused.

Q. You asked for the doctor twice. Can you explain to us what happened.
GILLES SIMON: I was just suddenly tired. I wasn't feeling well. Especially after the game of 5-3 on his serve, it was an extremely intense and long game with long rallies, and I had no energy anymore. I don't know if it was because of yesterday's match.

Q. You say the conditions were changing all the time, but you were able to adapt better than he did.
GILLES SIMON: I'm not so sure. I tried to be solid on my serve. But today there were many breaks in the match, or I should say break opportunities. When I was able to find my own rhythm, and when the sun had gone, then I started feeling a lot better and I was able to move well, hit the ball well. Before that, it was two games yes, two games not.

Q. It seems after this week that you are now back to business. I'm sure this must give you confidence.
GILLES SIMON: I don't know what you mean by 'back to business.' I know I'm playing well. I will try to enjoy my match tomorrow. Of course, it's going to be a very tough match. I want to take advantage as much as I can of this match.
It's true that I've been able to play for a while now without being bothered by any pain, and I am now able to think about my opponent and think about the ball. Before, when I was hitting the ball, I was not thinking about the next shot, I was thinking, How come I'm not feeling any pain? But now I can think only about the ball.
I'm no longer trying to do what I know already I can do and do it again, I'm just improving. Also having good results is a help. I never had doubts about my ability to have good results if I was able to play well, but I was having doubts about my ability to be healthy.

Q. The fact that you feel nobody can out run you is a change, isn't it?
GILLES SIMON: Yes. I really feel good now. As I said, I can think about the ball.

Q. Would it be an accomplishment to beat Nadal, if the word is correct?
GILLES SIMON: Yes, it is correct. I beat him once, and it was an accomplishment already. So it would be an accomplishment every time I'd do it, but even more here on clay.
Of course, I will not be under three tons of pressure, but it's going to be tough. I will try to play a good match. I don't want to totally miss it, so I will try to give him as much trouble as I can, although he's very good at finding solutions. So even if I lose, I want to play that match the best I can.

Q. Jo was saying that he didn't know whether you should go for it or just wait. What do you think?
GILLES SIMON: I will do what I can. Normally when you play against him, you should not play only defensively. But, of course, it depends on him. If he hits mid court, it's tough because the ball bounces very high. If he's able to play deeper, it's even worse. Every time you have to step one meter back.
I know what I have to do. But, of course, it doesn't depend only on me. If I need to be defensive, I can do it. If I need to attack, I can do it, too.

Q. Does it mean something beating the No. 1 French player?
GILLES SIMON: I always said, and I'm saying it again, that the French ranking never interests me. But what I like is beating the top five in the world.

BroTree123
04-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Must pained you very much that Gilles won. Well, maybe you should join the club here, when you can't beat them, join them, you know ;).
Hope you are okay though :hug:.

Yeah, sorry about that though. Just angry that Tsonga pissed away the match like that. No offence but I really didn't believe Simon did anything special to win. Tsonga just self destructed, one of his worst ever self-destructs :o. Oh well at least he didn't fuck it up against someone really bad like something outside the top 100 in the first round. I don't mind Simon, he deserves to be where he is right now. Congrats again anyhow.

Kezzi
04-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Waisted 2 bps in first set and then got broken himself. :( I hope France 2 doesn't cut off broadcast, cause I want to see him win in 3 sets. Allez Gilou! :cheerleader:

lalaland
04-21-2012, 05:28 PM
He played well, but so did Rafa. Good game plan and good execution most of the time, except at key moments like BPs. Oh well, 99% of players need to play super than normal to beat Rafa on clay so no shame on him didn't manage today.

Overall, very encouraging week, he played really well most of the time and also very encouraging that his back is holding up, at least for the week. I'm really happy for him, in fact, really happy for his last 3 tournaments. So finally after a subpar beginning of the season, he's turning the corner. Hopefully, he carries this form for a really long time. Allez Gilles.

Congrats again for a great master tournament. Now go win Bucherest ;)

lalaland
04-21-2012, 05:33 PM
His draw next week:

[1] Gilles Simon (FRA) bye
Dudi Sela (ISR) - Adrian Ungur (ROU)
[WC] Marius Copil (ROU) - Tobias Kamke (GER)
[WC] Gabriel Moraru (ROU) - [7] Lukasz Kubot (POL)

[4] Viktor Troicki (SRB) bye
Matthias Bachinger (GER) - Filippo Volandri (ITA)
[WC] Victor Crivoi (ROU) - Qualifier
Qualifier - [8] Ivan Dodig (CRO)

[6] Andreas Seppi (ITA) - Qualifier
Qualifier - Cedrik-Marcel Stebe (GER)
Fabio Fognini (ITA) - Joao Souza (BRA)
[3] Jurgen Melzer (AUT) bye

[5] Marcos Baghdatis (CYP) - Potito Starace (ITA)
Jeremy Chardy (FRA) - Lukas Lacko (SVK)
Xavier Malisse (BEL) - Grigor Dimitrov (BUL)
[2] Florian Mayer (GER) bye

Allez Gilles!

GilleSimonAddict
04-21-2012, 05:34 PM
:sad: Alas, the Simon ride has come to an end, but what a ride it was. Simon really has nothing to be ashamed about. He played well and gave it all that he could against Nadal, which is all I wanted to see him do. I just didn't want to see him routed and put up little resistance to the clay beast and he didn't. He fought hard.

A little unlucky with two bad bounces on his serve at three all in the first set didn't help matters much, but he still kept fighting to the end and it was a closer match than the score would indicate. Nadal had a lot of break points against him which meant that Simon was rallying tit for tat with him. I enjoyed the match.

Let's keep the momentum going now for the rest of the clay court season Gilles! :cheerleader:

mike s.
04-21-2012, 05:55 PM
I hate to jinx him but really there's no one in the Bucharest draw that he should lose to. Which probably means he'll find a way to lose to Kubot or something.

Congrats Gilles on the run in Monte Carlo, his matches against Tipsarevic and Nadal were the two best matches he's played this year.

misty1
04-21-2012, 06:00 PM
disappointing but it was a respectable scoreline, he didnt get crushed which was the prediction of many and my biggest fear

on to bucharest where he really should have little trouble winning the whole thing if he plays like he did this week

lalaland
04-21-2012, 06:09 PM
I hate to jinx him but really there's no one in the Bucharest draw that he should lose to. Which probably means he'll find a way to lose to Kubot or something.

:lol: sadly, that's exactly what I was thinking :o

He's been #1 seed before but I don't think he managed to win any of those tournaments. But there's always a first, and when it comes to Bucharest, it'll be the third time if he wins there. Good luck Gilles.

Kezzi
04-21-2012, 06:19 PM
:sad: Alas, the Simon ride has come to an end, but what a ride it was. Simon really has nothing to be ashamed about. He played well and gave it all that he could against Nadal, which is all I wanted to see him do. I just didn't want to see him routed and put up little resistance to the clay beast and he didn't. He fought hard.

A little unlucky with two bad bounces on his serve at three all in the first set didn't help matters much, but he still kept fighting to the end and it was a closer match than the score would indicate. Nadal had a lot of break points against him which meant that Simon was rallying tit for tat with him. I enjoyed the match.

Let's keep the momentum going now for the rest of the clay court season Gilles! :cheerleader:
+1
My überpositive side wanted to see him win, but my realistic side completely agrees with this. :yeah:
I was happy they showed the match till the end and Gilou was smiling at the handshake and during the interview afterwards. Too bad I couldn't understand a word of what he said, so can't tell you guys about it. :(

Silver.
04-21-2012, 07:49 PM
So proud of him after this tournament :)

Very impressed with his level today too. Some points were just.. :eek: unbelievable

Good luck to him in the next tourney, keep this momentum going. ALLEZ :cheerleader:

Gilloulou
04-21-2012, 08:17 PM
1 poorly placed volley on the 2nd break point in the first could have made all the difference. after that he just tanked 2 games in a row.

but it was actually a good match to watch, he played like he can, and certainly showed he can beat Nadal again. just a little more confidence and we will all enjoy the rest of this season.

FlameOn
04-22-2012, 12:52 AM
No biggie :p.

sammy01
04-22-2012, 02:49 AM
tbh i think he played well today, just let himself down on bp's and the big points. i'm with you lot he should win the tournament next week if playing anywhere near upto par.

lalaland
04-22-2012, 08:46 PM
R. NADAL/G. Simon 6-3, 6-4

An interview with: GILLES SIMON

THE MODERATOR: Questions in French, please.

Q. So no achievement today, but a real match.
GILLES SIMON: Yes, it was a real match. It was one of my goals today. I felt well physically and tennis wise. I knew I had the weapons I needed to play a good match against him.
But still it was tough to actually do it. Sad that I was not able to reach this achievement and beat him. But I was not realistic enough on certain opportunities. Against him, you can't afford that.

Q. You played a great match. However the score is 3-4. Is it still a good feeling?
GILLES SIMON: It's never a good feeling when you lose, but it's encouraging because I was able to give him some trouble, and that is interesting. I will remember the way I played. I will also try to draw the lessons of what I didn't do so well.
My regret is I didn't play well enough on the breakpoints I had. Each time I went down a level playing those points. Sometimes you have several breakpoints. When you start losing one, you lose ten.
On these points, he didn't have to play great. I was not relaxed on those points, so it was tough.

Q. And what about his game?
GILLES SIMON: I always find him a great player. I had to do tons of things to get just one single pointed. The wind also was bothersome. But I tried to be aggressive.
His ball bounces quite high, so it's tough to go up to the net. I'm not a natural volleyer. Also he is excellent when the time comes to defend. Every time I thought, Now I'm going to wait a little bit, then he started being aggressive.
What you need to do against him is to find the right rhythm.

Q. He lost seven times against Djokovic. Do you believe he has to change his game against him in order to win?
GILLES SIMON: I believe now Djokovic is the one with the pressure. I believe Rafa has good control of his game. Last year he lost twice on clay against Djokovic, but like all the top players, he will remember what he did well and what he didn't do so well and draw the lessons.

Q. Can you explain why you're saying that Djokovic is the one with the pressure.
GILLES SIMON: Because last year Djokovic had a beginning of the year... I'll let you qualify it. Rafa had everything to lose against him. Everybody was waiting for him to lose his first match on clay.
Whereas this year the situation is totally opposite because Djokovic is the one having everything to lose. It's like for the breakpoints: if you start losing one, you start losing several of them.

Q. You said on TV that what you needed was to play these kind of matches.
GILLES SIMON: Yes, because it's a sort of rhythm you are able to find if you repeatedly play at that level. Sometimes people say, Oh, he played three hours, he's going to be tired the next day. But it's not true. On the next day, you are used to the rhythm and it becomes easier.
It's like playing against Rafa: if you play several times against him, you get used to his heavy strokes and it seems easier after a while. If you know that every time you play him, you're giving him trouble, making it difficult for him, it becomes normal. Someday you might win.

Q. About tomorrow's final, Berdych said Rafa would win. Who would you pick?
GILLES SIMON: Rafa.

Q. They haven't played against the match in Melbourne. Do you think they're still both thinking bit?
GILLES SIMON: Well, one of them certainly. In that kind of match one comes out very happy and one comes out of the match extremely depressed. I think tomorrow Rafa has the weapons to win. Djokovic can't win 10 times in a row. He's not that much better.
What he does well is make the other player have doubts about his game. Rafa missed that passing shot he usually never misses. But at a given time, Rafa will end up winning a match as good as he is.

Lucilla
04-23-2012, 03:43 PM
I really want him to succeed in Bucharest! Best of luck, Gilles, I am firmly rooting for you!! :cheerleader:

Gillouthe best
04-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Allez Gilles vs Sela, last time was tough, let's see here !

lalaland
04-24-2012, 08:07 PM
I only remember their meeting in Wimbledon and it wasn't tough. But now that I checked the H2H, there last match was IW and it was tough, :lol:, my short term memory is not that good.

I think I'm worry that sometimes you had a good tournament, you turn up flat for the next one. Hopefully, Gilles will avoid that. I really hope he can keep his good form going.

GilleSimonAddict
04-25-2012, 12:28 AM
I think I'm worry that sometimes you had a good tournament, you turn up flat for the next one. Hopefully, Gilles will avoid that. I really hope he can keep his good form going.

We're Gilles Simon fans. We know the routine. We walk the fine line between pure joyous bliss , and devastatingly disappointing sorrow that can drive us all a little :crazy: sometimes. :lol:

lalaland
04-25-2012, 12:54 AM
sometimes? :lol:

That's only if you are optimistic in nature ;). I go nuts on everything :p.

Oh, btw, read it on twitter that he'll be having autograph session tommorrow at 16:00, so if there's any Romanian fans here going to the ground tomorrow, please tell him good luck.

Gilloulou
04-25-2012, 11:16 AM
last meeting they had Gilles had 2 or 3 match points in the 2nd set before blowing it and winning in 3. and Sela is a poor claycourter. not a match he should have problems with but you never know.

lol someone on the atp world tour page totally bashed Gilles, funny read :]

lalaland
04-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Gilles plays his first match tomorrow not before 7pm at Center Court.

Allez Gilles.

There's a lot of rain in the forecast tomorrow, and he plays last match of the day, I'm not sure if he gets to take the court. Feels like you wait and wait and wait and he's still not getting to start this week. I'm getting impatient :p.

lalaland
04-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Won his first match 6-4 6-2. A bit of hiccups at the end but he managed. Got broken once early at the match, wonder what he needs to do to stop giving up those early break, oh well. Sela played pretty good for a guy who's supposed to be not so good on clay.

Next, Kubot. Allez Gilles.

mike s.
04-26-2012, 06:39 PM
I thought Gilles played well. A few too many errors early and didn't handle the dropshot but he served well and hit his forehand well. Hopefully my worries about him losing to someone like Kubot don't come true!

GilleSimonAddict
04-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Hooray Gilles! :clap2: A good solid workman-like win over a guy who can be a tricky opponent because he gives you no pace to work with. Good luck against Kubot next round Gilles! :cheerleader:

lalaland
04-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Yes, he did play well. I'm glad that he keeps practicing his aggression with that FH. Sometimes when he doesn't feel he needs to do much, he's guilty of taking a back seat at matches, not today.

I'm not familiar with Kubot, is he good on clay? no idea. Hope it goes well tomorrow.

2nd match tomorrow not before 2pm.
Simon vs Kubot

MsTree
04-26-2012, 07:13 PM
YAY! :dance:
I'm so busy with working away just now I've not seen any live tennis for weeks :( But at least I can drop in here and find out how Gillou is doing! :D Thanks guys! :hug:

Gillouthe best
04-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Allez Gilles vs Kubot! The Polish is good on clay, has a couple of ATP finals on the surface, but if Gillou plays well he should clinch it, we'll see.

sammy01
04-26-2012, 11:33 PM
thought gilles was pretty good today. keep trucking simon

lalaland
04-27-2012, 12:54 PM
He's down 2-5 in the first set. He's in such low energy level, what's wrong with you, Gilles? Ahhhh, I fear this could be that flat day I fear about. If he doesn't pick up his play, he's going to lose. Kubot plays well.

mike s.
04-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Is he injured again? He's not moving well at all. Hopefully he picks it up, it looks like he doesn't even want to be there.

lalaland
04-27-2012, 01:08 PM
He's playing more lethargically today than that other day when he was lethargic. He's awful today.

lalaland
04-27-2012, 01:09 PM
He needs to stop being grumpy and start putting some doubts in Kubot's mind. C'mon Gilles, do sth already.

lalaland
04-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Thanks for listening, Gilles. Some really great passing shots and he finally got a break. Now, don't go losing your serve.

lalaland
04-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Oh Gilles, why are u doing that to yourself? Get it together already. Kubot broke back.

lalaland
04-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Breakfest. He up a break again. C'mon now, really, don't lose your serve or you'll go crazy.

lalaland
04-27-2012, 01:29 PM
He holds this time, 4-1 in 2nd. I still don't like his energy level though, still look very low to me, he's like dragging himself around the court most of the time. Something is still not right.

mike s.
04-27-2012, 01:29 PM
He woke up on the wrong side of the bed today but at least it seems like he's starting to put it together, 4-1 now.

lalaland
04-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Kubot's not holding up his level atm, Gilles won 2nd set 6-1. Now please win the 3rd set.

lalaland
04-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Gosh, it's like they are competing for the worse player on court :p. Srsly, someone start playing better please, and that someone better be Gilles. Another awful serve game, but at least he managed to hold, now up 2-0. Allez Gilles, allez.

lalaland
04-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Sometimes, when Gilles' throwing his tantrum on court, he's rather cute, but that's only bcos he's ahead that I found it cute, if he's losing, I'll be down right furious that he's so grumpy.

Well, missed another opportunity to break Kubot, he's up 2-1 in the 3rd. He just needs to hold, hold and hold. C'mon.

lalaland
04-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Kubot fighting back, Gilles can't close when serving for the match. Thank goodness he has an insurance break on hand. Now he better break to win. C'mon Gilles.

lalaland
04-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Gosh, missed 2 MP already, I'm nervous now. Gilles, please don't choke this one away.

Gilloulou
04-27-2012, 02:32 PM
another win, i could get used to this :]

lalaland
04-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Kubot threw in another of his awful 2nd serve that didn't even reach the net, give the MP to Gilles.

Not an enjoyable match to watch, but he got thru. I hope whatever that's bothering him today, he'll get over it and does it better tomorrow. He's like 3 levels lower than MC last week. C'mon Gilles, you can do better. Get a good sleep tonite and make sure you wake up on the right side tomorrow, okay?

mike s.
04-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Kubot threw in another of his awful 2nd serve that didn't even reach the net, give the MP to Gilles.

Not an enjoyable match to watch, but he got thru. I hope whatever that's bothering him today, he'll get over it and does it better tomorrow. He's like 3 levels lower than MC last week. C'mon Gilles, you can do better. Get a good sleep tonite and make sure you wake up on the right side tomorrow, okay?

This was the match where he looked lethargic to me, not the Tsonga one. Oh well, a win is a win. Hopefully he picks it up for the weekend.

GilleSimonAddict
04-27-2012, 02:49 PM
A perfect example of what it means to be a Gilles Simon fan with that match against Kubot. Can you say emotional roller coaster? :lol: I was down. I was up. Anyway, once Gilles calmed his inner diva after the first set, he actually won pretty comfortably. Sure it helped that Kubot started to play like crap, but that's not Gilles' problem now is it. That's part of tennis. Weathering the storm of your opponents ups and downs.

I just wish he had more conviction when serving out a match. Most of the time you don't get an insurance break to make sure you get a second chance at getting it right, let alone a player who's 2nd serves were worse than my grandpa at the country club on the weekends.

But a win is still a win. Congrats Gilles! Onward to the semis we go!:clap2:

lalaland
04-27-2012, 02:57 PM
This was the match where he looked lethargic to me, not the Tsonga one. Oh well, a win is a win. Hopefully he picks it up for the weekend.

That Tsonga match, he was out for a about 3-4 games and get it going. Not that I knew what happened there, but I think sometimes when your sugar level is low, you got a suddenly drop of energy and dizziness, but you can correct it right away by getting sugar back in.

Today, he's low energy from start to finish, even if he's doing better after 1st set, he's still a step too slow. Those drop shots, he's not getting to them fast enough. I mean, that guy drop shot him like every other point, he shouldn't got tricked after awhile, but he really looked slow to me getting to those shots, way slower than normal for sure.

Oh well, I don't want to be so hard on him for this match, since he managed to get thru. But to see him play a match like this after all those good matches the past 10 days, it's not too comforting.

Gillouthe best
04-27-2012, 05:21 PM
It was tough, as I expected, Kubot is not a great matchup for Gilles, Allez Gilles vs Bachinger !. Bangkok 2011 was a very tense match, but as soon as Gilles played ok he controlled the match, so IMO he could struggle a bit, but I expect him to win.

lalaland
04-27-2012, 09:27 PM
On L'Equipe the paper, yesterday after beating Sela:

SAMEDI DERNIER, à Monte-carlo, Gilles Simon évoluait dans le cadre doublement prestigieux d’une demifinale de Masters 1000 face à Rafael Nadal. Hier, c’était un zeste moins glamour face à Dudi Sela, pour un deuxième tour à Bucarest. Le numéro 12 mondial s’est bien gardé cependant de prendre ce rendez-vous à la légère. D’abord parce que Sela – c’est lassant – lui pose toujours des problèmes. Ce fut encore le cas lors de leur dernier affrontement, au tournoi d’indian Wells, en mars, où le Français se trouva embarqué dans un troisième set après avoirmené7-5, 5-2. Hier, rien de tel, même si Simon céda le premier son engagement pour se retrouver mené 3-1. « Comme j’ai fait un vrai match d’attaque, il y a eu un peu de déchet, c’est normal, racontait l’ancien double vainqueur en Roumanie (2007 et 2008). Sur terre, comme je peux mettre de la pression dès sa première balle, ça me facilite les choses. J’ai fait un match solide, même si physiquement je n’étais pas très bien. »

At the end, he said physically he's not very well, didn't elaborate, not sure what he meant.

Here: http://www.welovetennis.fr/atp-bucarest/47946-simon-j-ai-eu-un-peu-de-chance
a little of what he said after today:
"Je pense que Kubot a très bien joué au début du match. Il était très agressif. Moi, j'étais un peu fatigué, je n'arrivais pas à bien me déplacer sur le terrain. Je pense que j'ai eu un peu de chance dans le début du deuxième set. Il a eu des opportunités de me breaker. Mais au final, c'est moi qui est réussi à le breaker. J'ai joué de mieux en mieux et j'ai été capable de remporter ce match."

He just said he's tired, didn't say much.

Maybe he's under the weather? or maybe nothing, he's just tired. Let's hope he can gather some energy for tomorrow.

Tomorrow OOP Center Court at noon:
Simon Vs Bachinger

Allez Gilles, allez.

mike s.
04-27-2012, 09:33 PM
He doesn't sound like he's feeling great, hopefully he can survive two more matches and then get some rest for the more important part of the clay season. When he's not feeling well, he never plays well because he doesn't move freely. Hopefully he's just tired and there's no injury.

lalaland
04-28-2012, 01:07 AM
Nothing new to add, but I just thought I'll also post the L'Equipe website article.

It said during the game, he complained about everything, like he can't hit his forehand...well, just Gilles being Gilles.

Simon se fait violence
Gilles Simon s'est qualifié vendredi pour les demi-finales aux dépens du Polonais Lukasz Kubot. Le Français a souffert mais a fini par l'emporter (3-6, 6-1, 6-3) en 2h13'. Il affrontera Matthias Bachinger pour une place en finale.

Gilles Simon a râlé, souffert, maudit le court, le bruit des photographes, son adversaire ou encore son propre coup droit et lui-même en général. On l'a entendu hurler des «J'arrive pas à un faire un coup droit !! » avant de réussir quelques très bons coups droits justement en bout de course quelques jeux plus tard. Dans un jour moyen, le Français s'est beaucoup parlé et a fini par se remettre dans le droit chemin. Une victoire difficile qui ne fait sans doute pas plus de bien que ça à son jeu mais qui lui permet de poursuivre sa route.

Rien n'a été facile pour le 12e joueur mondial face à un 51e qui prend la balle tôt et a une assez bonne main quand il s'agit de balancer des grandes frappes à plat tout en timing croisées ou décroisées. Seulement Kubot, s'il est 51e, c'est qu'il n'est pas assez régulièrement capable de tenir cette cadence tout un match. Et que lorsque la machine se dérègle, son compteur de fautes et de mauvais choix part à la hausse. Pour être parvenu à le sortir de sa cadence et à mieux défendre son terrain, Simon a capitalisé jusqu'à la délivrance.

Kubot, la double-faute qui fait mal
Que retenir de ce quart de finale alors ? La volonté farouche de Simon de ne pas lâcher. Et la double mésaventure du jour de Kubot qui a servi une terrible double-faute pour perdre son service dans le premier jeu de la dernière manche - pour être précise, il a servi dans SON carré - avant de doubler la mise sur la balle de match en poussant la balle dans le bas du filet. Mortifié, Kubot. Des absences à répétition qui ont bien fait les affaires de Simon, jamais serein sur cette rencontre à l'image du break concédé à 5-2 en servant pour le match. Mais il s'en est sorti et c'était bien là le principal vendredi.

Gilloulou
04-28-2012, 11:59 AM
well, i lost my match on a 3rd set tiebreak, but Gilou won, that what's important :]

lalaland
04-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Back to normal energy level today, what a relief.

He won in 2 sets, well done. Grumpy as ever :o, oh well.

Win the title now, please. Good luck tomorrow in final.

mike s.
04-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Much better today than yesterday, congrats Gilles! Now don't lose the final, whoever it is it will be a very winnable match.

Gillouthe best
04-28-2012, 12:03 PM
He played quite well today at moments, tough his BP conversion was bad (5/17), I found that sometimes he had reasons to be grumpy, line calls were sometimes very bad for him.

GilleSimonAddict
04-28-2012, 12:07 PM
I'd say he had a rite to be grumpy after those two atrocious calls against him in the second set all in the same game no less. I was so mad I was about ready to put my foot through the wall. :fiery: Luckily justice prevailed and Simon won the game for the third time only it finally counted :p. It also seemed to fire Simon up in a positive way because he was pretty aggressive on and against serve from there on out. A good solid performance. On to the finals we go Gilles! :cheerleader:

Lucilla
04-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Congrats Gilles and best of luck for tomorrow's final!! :cheerleader: Win your 10th title! :)

sammy01
04-28-2012, 03:28 PM
right one more match simon, win it and have a rest. good luck tomorrow :)

Gillouthe best
04-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Allez Gilles for tonorrow vs Fognini, who is a great player when on, but this is his first ATP final !

soulage
04-29-2012, 09:14 AM
I know capture are not easy to translate but i posted it articel about simonescu :lol:

He loves the balls tehre Dunlop the same that in Hamburg. Ha was tired after MC but for him it's important to win this tournament

misty1
04-29-2012, 03:02 PM
6-4, 6-3

congrats gilles on title number 10!

lalaland
04-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Congrats Gilles, keeping his title streak going. Well done.

Now take a good rest next week, you deserve it.

Gillouthe best
04-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Gilles :woohoo:, 10th ATP title for him, keeps having at least a title per season since 2007. He has 3 Bucharest titles, and it's nice to see that he has stringed some good tournaments in a row :yeah:. He deserves to rest this week, and give all in Madrid.

mike s.
04-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Congrats Gilles, hopefully he keeps this level through the next stretch of the claycourt season.

10 titles :worship:

GilleSimonAddict
04-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Well guys our man has done us proud! Congrats :cheerleader: Gilles! :cheerleader: You are more than worthy of the championship. It's always hard being a Simon fan because nothing ever seems to come easy, but that just makes the victories that do come that much sweeter! So happy for him! :aparty:

MsTree
04-29-2012, 03:34 PM
:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: Allez!!! :D

Silver.
04-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Yaaaaaaaay :) so happy. Our boy has done good!

Nathaliia
04-29-2012, 06:48 PM
jumping quickly for celebration :bounce: it was an easy tournament, had to win :yeah:
but in the post match interview gilles said this type of situation is also dangerous :)
so, he held the pressure :)

Kezzi
04-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Yay for Gilou! :cheerleader:

gambit84
04-29-2012, 08:39 PM
It has been really an amazing day for me. Both my favorite in atp and wta won :)

So happy for Gillous, he definitely restarted to play great after the pissing injury but a win was what he really needed to face the european clay season at his best :)

good luck Gillou now for the further events, I'm gonna be there for u in Paris, like last year :)

lalaland
04-29-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm very happy with this week. Although ppl will argue that the field is a bit weak, but it's not his fault that the other 7 seeds didn't make it. And if you compare the seedings of this tournament to next week's, Bucharest is not particularly weak.

Estoril Seedings Munich Seedings Bucharest Seedings
1 Del Potro, Juan Martin ARG 10 1 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried FRA 5 1 Simon, Gilles FRA 15
2 Gasquet, Richard FRA 18 2 Lopez, Feliciano ESP 16 2 Mayer, Florian GER 20
3 Wawrinka, Stanislas SUI 22 3 Cilic, Marin CRO 23 3 Troicki, Viktor SRB 30
4 Ramos, Albert ESP 43 4 Kohlschreiber, Philipp GER 33 4 Baghdatis, Marcos CYP 40
5 Istomin, Denis UZB 44 5 Tomic, Bernard AUS 35 5 Seppi, Andreas ITA 44
6 Haase, Robin NED 45 6 Youzhny, Mikhail RUS 36 6 Kubot, Lukasz POL 51
7 Montanes, Albert ESP 69 7 Davydenko, Nikolay RUS 41 7 Dodig, Ivan CRO 57
8 Cipolla, Flavio ITA 70 8 Baghdatis, Marcos CYP 42 8 Chardy, Jeremy FRA 59

The top seed doesn't always win, especially when it comes to Gilles, he often plays down to his opponents level against lower level opponents. And this week, he's fighting with himself, and fatique is very obviously in his matches. He's grumpy the whole week, even in the final where he's usually very calm and collect, today is the least tranquil final I've seen him play.

So in a way, I'm really thinking that he's accomplished something different this tournament. Not just winning the title but willing himself to perform according to the expectation of him in this tournament.

He'll be ranked 11 comes monday, but I think DelPo will past him after Estoril, which is no biggie. I hope the one week of resting is enough. If he manages good weeks in Madrid and Rome, I hope he has the good sense to take a breather before RG. But anyhow, it's been a good March and April for Gilles, really happy for him.

lalaland
04-29-2012, 09:05 PM
I know capture are not easy to translate but i posted it articel about simonescu :lol:

He loves the balls tehre Dunlop the same that in Hamburg. Ha was tired after MC but for him it's important to win this tournament

Thanks, Soulage. I have the soft copy here.

Non, ça ne vaut pas rien

Gille Simon
Peut réussir aujourd’hui le triplé en Roumanie. Une tête de série n°1 qui gagne un « petit » tournoi, il trouve ça ni facile ni dérisoire.

Même en Roumanie, Radio Simon émet très bien. Ça rouspète, ça dit vingt fois que l’adversaire a une partie de son anatomie bordée de nouilles, mais ça ne perd pas. À Bucarest, ça ne perd plus depuis 2006 (titre en 2007 et 2008, finale cet après-midi contre l’italien Fabio Fognini, 57e mondial, après trois ans d’éloignement). Gilles Simon est bien le Dracula de ce tournoi. Hier, en demi-finales, l’allemand Bachinger, 120e mondial, a cru détenir assez d’ail pour le repousser. Il l’a juste retardé en sauvant une balle de set à 5-3 au premier set (7-5, 6-2). Dans la foulée de sa demi-finale perdue contre Nadal àmonteCarlo, le numéro 2 français, douzième mondial, a prouvé : un, qu’une tournée hivernale sur terre battue en Amérique du Sud, même ratée, peut payer enavril ; et deux, quece n’est pas parce qu’on n’a pas envie au début qu’il faut se retirer d’un tournoi.

- « TROISIÈME FINALE à Bucarest, peut-être troisième titre, êtes-vous d’accord pour qu’on vous appelle désormais “Simonescu” ?
– Euh, ce n’est pas très joli comme surnom…

– Pourquoi réussissez-vous bien dans ce tournoi ?
– Le terrain est dur, ça va vite et, surtout, il y a les balles. Comme dit tout le temps Thierry ( Tulasne, son coach) : “T’es content, tiens, voilà tes Dunlop.” Beaucoup de joueurs s’en foutent mais, pour moi, les balles, ça change tout. Ici, c’est les mêmes qu’à Hambourg (tournoi 500 qu’il a gagné l’été dernier) et à Monte-carlo. Elles ne volent pas. Je les contrôle mieux. Du coup, j’ai l’impression que je ne vais pas faire de fautes et je peux donc m’engager à fond dans mes frappes.

– Remarquez, les balles ne vous ont pas empêché de vous énerver contre Bachinger…
– Je sais… Dans l’attitude, c’était pas beau. J’ai toujours été très nerveux sur un terrain. Pourtant, depuis le début de l’année, c’était là-dessus que j’avais le plus progressé. Là, je vous ai fait un bon festival (rires). Je me suis agacé de le voir recoller à 5- 5. Heureusement, je bougeais beaucoup mieux que les autres jours. J’ai vraiment hésité àme retirer de ce tournoi parce que j’étais fatigué à la fin de Monte-carlo. Et puis jeme suis dit : allez, tu es tête de série n°1, tu auras un bye, tu te fais toujours plaisir dans ce tournoi, fais l’effort.

– Justement, quand on vous voit courir comme contre Bachinger, on se dit que vos problèmes dedos sont derrière vous…
– Déjà, question soins et prévention, j’en fais des tonnes. Avec la terre battue, la zone douloureuse est descendue au niveau des adducteurs. C’est logique. Sinon, c’est la surprise chaque matin. Ce matin (hier), c’était : ah tiens, ça va. Je vais pouvoir courir comme je veux. Vendredi, ça n’allait pas (à Indian Wells, il avait même demandé à sa copine de l’aider à mettre ses chaussettes).

– Gagner à Bucarest alors que le gros tableau de la semaine était à Barcelone vous ferait-il dévaluer ce titre ?
– Certains pensent que, si on ne bat pas Nadal, Federer ou Djokovic, ça ne compte pas. Que si tu es tête de série numéro 1 et que tu vas au bout, ça ne vaut rien. Non, ça ne vaut pas rien. Au tennis, dès que tu es un peu moins bon, tu perds. Ici, si je suis mauvais, j’ai quatre bonnes raisons de sauter (ses quatre matches). Ça n’a évidemment pas le prestige de gagner un Masters 1000 mais ce n’est pas facile à faire.

– Entre la fin de saison l’an dernier (une seule victoire en cinq tournois) et aujourd’hui, quelle est la principale différence ?
– L’an dernier, je cherchais à faire évoluer mon jeu parce que j’avais quitté L’US Open, contre Isner, en ayant l’impression d’être bloqué. Qu’il fallait que je me libère. À Monte-carlo et ici, je suis souvent venu au filet sur des points importants. J’ai tenté des choses. Et ça, ça ne vient pas tout seul. Il fallait le travailler en match et à l’intersaison. Aujourd’hui, je ne panique plus comme avant quand je viens au filet.

– Vous avez toujours battu Fognini. On sait qu’il a des fulgurances mais que souvent, entre très facile et trop facile, il se trompe…
- Il peut bien mais pense être plus fort que lui. Si j’arrive à lui rendre le match dur, il aura des trous, c’est sûr. »

And this is the pic they use for this article. :lol:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06aN8X34cq3YT/x1000.jpg

FlameOn
04-30-2012, 01:22 AM
Really happy for him, it's been a tough year results wise so far overall so this is nice :cheerleader:.

sammy01
04-30-2012, 02:06 PM
really happy he won and it was mission accomplished as far as why he played this tournament.

hopefully a few days rest will do him good now and he can continue racking up points at madrid and rome. i so wanna see him back in the top 10!

lalaland
04-30-2012, 07:05 PM
L'Equipe today:

À vingt-sept ans, le Français a remporté hier le dixième titre de sa carrière. Un de moins que Forget, mais un de plus que Leconte !

M. FOGNINI joue très bien au tennis, mais surtout sur les points pas trop importants. Ça aide quand , comme Gilles Simon, on gère justement beaucoup mieux ces instants clés qui font bascu ler des matches. Hier, le 12e joueur mondial a montré pourquoi il était à ce rang- là quand l’italien n’est que 57e : parce qu’il n’a pas paniqué après un mauvais départ qui l’a obligé à écarter une balle de 3-0 et parce qu’il a su effacer deux balles de débreak quand il a servi pour le gain du premier set à 5-4. Enfin parce qu’après avoir sauvé cinq balles de break à 0-1 dans le deuxième set puis six balles de 3-2 pour Fognini, il a fini par introduire bien trop de questions dans le crâne de son adversaire pour que celui-ci résiste encore bien longtemps. 6-3, 6-4 en une heure cinquante. On aurait tort de trop calmer le jeu sous prétexte que Simon n’a pas eu à battre un seul top 50 pour aller chercher son troisième titre à Bucarest (après 2007 et 2008) ou que, sur ses désormais dix titres en carrière, un seul (L’ATP 500 de Hambourg l’an dernier) n’est pas de la catégorie de base, celle des 250. C’est la sixième saison d’affilée au cours de laquelle le Niçois remporte au moins un titre. Aucun Français, pas même Noah, n’a réussi ça depuis le début de l’ère Open, en 1968. mental, ou l’inverse : « Là, il faut que j’arrête un peu parce que je suis au bout du rouleau, reconnut- il hier. J’étais vraiment fatigué pendant cette finale, et contre un Fognini qui a dans son jeu de grosses qualités qui ne se voient pas ( rires) – par exemple on a l’impression qu’il joue en marchant mais c’est très dur de lui faire un coup gagnant –, j’ai fait ce que j’ai pu. Au final, j’ai pris dix fois plus de plaisir à monte-carlo qu’ici mais en revanche je suis beaucoup plus content d’avoir remporté le tour- l’èrenoi ici que d’avoir fait une demie là bas. Parce qu’en tennis tu finis presque toujours par paumer. Ça arrive rarement de pouvoir rentrer chez soi sans avoir perdu. »

Dans la foulée de sa demi- finale à Monte-carlo, Simon semble parfaitement positionné sur la rampe de lancement vers Roland- Garros ( 27 mai- 10 juin). À condition de ménager le physique en préservant le de puis le début de Open, Après la semaine relativement calme qu’il en tame aujourd’hui, Simon est inscrit à Madrid, Rome, Nice et Roland-garros, soit potentiellement cinq semaines de compétition d’affilée. « C’était un défi d’enchaîner comme je viens de le faire, et j’ai passé beaucoup de temps entre les mains du kiné de L’ATP à Bucarest. Là, je ne veux pas trop me projeter sur ce qui m’attend. » – J. Re.

He said Monte Carlo was 10 times more fun but he's happier to win a title bcos in tennis, you rarely goes home without losing. He said he was very tired in the final, and he spent much time in the hands of the physiotherapist in Bucharest. So they asked about his schedule of potentially playing 5 weeks from Madrid to RG, he said he has no idea what to expect...

Ok, Gilles, please don't burn yourself out before RG even begins *finger-crossed*.

Cloudygirl
04-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Yay so pleased he won a title.

mike s.
04-30-2012, 10:33 PM
It's frustrating that it seems like he'll have to go through the rest of his career with injuries as it makes his results that much more unpredictable. Oh well, that's why we have to appreciate the times he's able to win even more. Hopefully he's healthy for the French-Wimbledon-Olympics swing, no need to overplay now so I hope he's smart and withdraws from Nice if he's tired.

MsTree
05-02-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm away on holiday tomorrow - will miss all of Madrid and the first couple of days of Rome - so a huge double :cheerleader: ALLEZ!!! :cheerleader:
and I'll pop in if I get a chance :wavey:

lalaland
05-03-2012, 03:20 AM
Have fun on your holiday, Les. :bounce:

sammy01
05-04-2012, 07:52 PM
madrid draw out, tbh a nice draw to make qtrs if simon is playing well. fog 1st who he beat a few days ago, then GGL or Baggy could be tough nut don't rate baggy on clay and GGL hasn't been in great form, then probably janko who he owns and beat in monte carlo.

sadly the nice draw ends there as djokovic would be qtrs, but if he can make qtrs i'd be very happy and satisfied with his showing in madrid.

mike s.
05-04-2012, 08:07 PM
madrid draw out, tbh a nice draw to make qtrs if simon is playing well. fog 1st who he beat a few days ago, then GGL or Baggy could be tough nut don't rate baggy on clay and GGL hasn't been in great form, then probably janko who he owns and beat in monte carlo.

sadly the nice draw ends there as djokovic would be qtrs, but if he can make qtrs i'd be very happy and satisfied with his showing in madrid.

Yeah, great draw for Gilles. Plus thank goodness he avoided Isner and Ferrer as his 5-8.

lalaland
05-04-2012, 08:43 PM
His Half:

[1] Novak Djokovic (SRB) bye
Qualifier - Qualifier
Olivier Rochus (BEL) - Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI)
Jurgen Melzer (AUT) - [13] Feliciano Lopez (ESP)

[9] Gilles Simon (FRA) - Fabio Fognini (ITA)
Marcos Baghdatis (CYP) - [WC] Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP)
Albert Ramos-Vinolas (ESP) - Qualifier
[7] Janko Tipsarevic (SRB) bye

[3] Roger Federer (SUI) bye
Milos Raonic (CAN) - David Nalbandian (ARG)
Viktor Troicki (SRB) - Donald Young (USA)
Thomaz Bellucci (BRA) - [14] Richard Gasquet (FRA)

[11] Nicolas Almagro (ESP) - Qualifier
Marcel Granollers (ESP) - Carlos Berlocq (ARG)
Radek Stepanek (CZE) - Bernard Tomic (AUS)
[5] David Ferrer (ESP) bye

It's pretty good. I guess getting Tsonga 2 times in a roll as the top 4 seed would be too much to ask :p. But it's good enough if he gets to QF.

I'm a bit worry about the blue clay, they said it's very low bounce, esp. the slice, which will drive Gilles crazy. But anyhow, we'll see what happen. Just really hope that he's 100% healthy so to continue his good clay form. Allez Gilles.

misty1
05-06-2012, 01:31 AM
i might be being a tad bit optimistic but the fact that djokovic's grandfather has passed away recently might mean that he probably wont be 100% mentally. Dont get me wrong, i feel bad for novak having lost his grandfather, i recently nearly lost mine and that sacre alone..i can somewhat understand how he feels.

But maybe now would be a time he can take advantage of the situation and get the win?(if he gets that far)

lalaland
05-07-2012, 06:35 PM
OOP Tuesday:

COURT 4 Start 11:00 am
[9] Gilles Simon (FRA)v Fabio Fognini (ITA)

Allez!

mike s.
05-07-2012, 06:45 PM
OOP Tuesday:

Allez!

Does Court 4 have a stream? Either way, good luck Gilles!

GilleSimonAddict
05-07-2012, 08:14 PM
OOP Tuesday:

Allez!

What a bunch of crap that is! :fiery: He just won a title recently and is just outside the top 10 and the best they can do is put him on Court 4? They couldn't even manage to have one slot for him in one of the 3 main stadium courts? And yet oh look, there's Gasquet and Monfils both on Stadium 3. Just another example of him not getting the acknowledgement or the credit that he deserves. Very disrespectful. Like I said, what a bunch of crap.

lalaland
05-07-2012, 08:45 PM
I think only the 2 main courts are streamed.
I'm actually more disappointed at the schedule of today's matches, they could have put more big names on since all Top 8 have Bye and won't play monday, then the other high ranked players could got their TV time today, not that I don't enjoy Almagro vs Giraldo :p.
Well, he'll make his appearance on main court soon, I hope.

sammy01
05-07-2012, 10:30 PM
well i guess on the plus side i wont be around, so wont miss it. he will get a televised court if he wins his 1st roud as he plays GGL next, who will no doubt get coverge

lalaland
05-08-2012, 05:05 AM
Well, just checked the streams for tomorrow and they actually do show 3 courts including stadium 3, so bummer that Gilles' not on there. Bright side is I don't have to wake up at 2am in the morning to watch a fuzzy stream :p.

Good luck Gilles, please win.

GilleSimonAddict
05-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Well that was just a miserable experience. Woke up to the score of the Simon Fognini match at 6-7(1) 6-3 1-0 and then the live scoreboard proceeded to get frozen on that score and not move leaving me freaking out. Went on the ATP site and it was frozen there as well. Went to Madrid site and it was frozen there too. So I spent the next 20 minutes or so scrambling all over the web until I managed to find the score to find out that Gilles has won the match now 6-7(1) 6-3 6-3. Thank goodness! Wouldn't have been a problem of course if he had been on one of the three main stadiums like he should've been from the beginning.

Anyway, now he better be on one of the stadium courts next round or I may lose my sanity. :silly: :crazy:

mike s.
05-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Well that was just a miserable experience. Woke up to the score of the Simon Fognini match at 6-7(1) 6-3 1-0 and then the live scoreboard proceeded to get frozen on that score and not move leaving me freaking out. Went on the ATP site and it was frozen there as well. Went to Madrid site and it was frozen there too. So I spent the next 20 minutes or so scrambling all over the web until I managed to find the score to find out that Gilles has won the match now 6-7(1) 6-3 6-3. Thank goodness! Wouldn't have been a problem of course if he had been on one of the three main stadiums like he should've been from the beginning.

Anyway, now he better be on one of the stadium courts next round or I may lose my sanity. :silly: :crazy:

:lol: I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that. Good fight back from Gilles, hopefully he played well. He should be on a tv court next round as he's playing a Spanish player.

sammy01
05-08-2012, 02:27 PM
just glad he won, no need to fuck up a decent draw

lalaland
05-08-2012, 06:40 PM

:lol:
Well, it was worse for me, cos I have decided that I won't bother to wake up, but then I woke up somehow and couldn't sleep, so I checked score, it was at TB, he was down 1-5 and proceeded to lose the TB. And then 2nd set, he was on serve, and then he served the 2nd time at 1-1, up 40-15 and gone on to lose that serve game. The scoreboard stuck when he was down 6-7, 1-3. I was too mad to go back to sleep... about 30 mins later, the score finally jumped to 6-7, 6-3, 1-0. Well, at least I got to watch a little bit of other's matches when I was waiting for the scoreboard to move.

Okay, that wasn't a smooth start, he better plays better from now on. The draw is so kind, he's 10-0 against his first 3 opponents in the H2H, he better don't waste it.

mike s.
05-08-2012, 06:55 PM
This is a rough translation of what Gilles said in his press conference:

After his victory over Italian Fabio Fognini (6-7 6-3 6-3), on Tuesday in the first round of the Masters 1000 Madrid, Gilles Simon did not mince words about blue clay courts of the Spanish capital. "I do not notice any difference compared to last year, said Gilles Simon. These are the worst courts in the clay court season. I do not feel good about it. I almost give me a sprain in training. There are other priorities than make it blue. He just needed to make it better! "

Gilles not holding back as usual :lol:

It really sucks though because his game is so dependent on movement and he must be very concerned about rolling an ankle.

Gillouthe best
05-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Allez for Gilles vs GGL, he should win the match if he plays well !

GilleSimonAddict
05-08-2012, 08:16 PM
:lol:
Well, it was worse for me, cos I have decided that I won't bother to wake up, but then I woke up somehow and couldn't sleep, so I checked score, it was at TB, he was down 1-5 and proceeded to lose the TB. And then 2nd set, he was on serve, and then he served the 2nd time at 1-1, up 40-15 and gone on to lose that serve game. The scoreboard stuck when he was down 6-7, 1-3. I was too mad to go back to sleep... about 30 mins later, the score finally jumped to 6-7, 6-3, 1-0. Well, at least I got to watch a little bit of other's matches when I was waiting for the scoreboard to move.

Okay, that wasn't a smooth start, he better plays better from now on. The draw is so kind, he's 10-0 against his first 3 opponents in the H2H, he better don't waste it.

Oh the things we put ourselves through for Gilles Simon and he has no idea. But alas, he is so worth it! :kiss:

This is a rough translation of what Gilles said in his press conference:

After his victory over Italian Fabio Fognini (6-7 6-3 6-3), on Tuesday in the first round of the Masters 1000 Madrid, Gilles Simon did not mince words about blue clay courts of the Spanish capital. "I do not notice any difference compared to last year, said Gilles Simon. These are the worst courts in the clay court season. I do not feel good about it. I almost give me a sprain in training. There are other priorities than make it blue. He just needed to make it better! "

Gilles not holding back as usual :lol:

It really sucks though because his game is so dependent on movement and he must be very concerned about rolling an ankle.

Yeah, Novak was sliding all over the place (and not by choice) in his match against Traver and looking down at the court in anger several times. I'm hearing that a lot of the players, including Nadal, are not too happy with this new clay surface. I must admit from a fan's perspective it is pretty, but that is neither here nor there and what's really important is how it feels and plays to the players.

Gilles will be last up on stadium 2 tomorrow thank goodness! He has a 2-0 H2H record over Lopez. One win came on hard (most recent) and the other on clay, but that was back in 2007 so it will be really a new experience for both players now. Hope he will be able to soldier on despite his feelings for the new surface. :cheerleader:

lalaland
05-08-2012, 10:02 PM
I thought the blue clay looks pretty when saw it on pictures last week. But when I watch it on stream, I don't think they are particularly clearer visually than the red clay. And there's also a lot of white spots (when the clay got digged up a little), much more so than on red clay. So I'm not really buying that "visually better for audiences" benefit. If the stream is clear, the ball is as clear on red than on blue clay.

But anyway, I've been fearing about the condition, since every single player is complaining, some said it more diplomatically than others. But I heard they said very slippery and has holes. At first, when I didn't realize the scoreboard was frozen, and just thought his match was stopped while he's serving, I was just hoping that it wasn't an injury timeout, I still remembered he rolled his ankle last year in MC. And I remembered Benny and Monaco rolled theirs. It's striking fear to the players and fans that something bad could happen on this bad surface.

Anyhow, the single most important thing is to get thru Madrid unscraped, better if he wins some matches and keeping himself unharmed.

sammy01
05-08-2012, 10:12 PM
he is on a televised court tomorrow and i'm not working (though he is last on, so probs wont be till the evening anyway) :)

lalaland
05-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Yesterday he played morning match at 11am, today he plays midnite match at 11pm, well, almost. He must love this schedule :lol:.

lalaland
05-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Good, his match got moved to Stadium 3, so he's gonna start soon. Hope there's stream.

lalaland
05-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Well, as expected, the change court thing screwed up the stream situation. Can't find any stream at the moment. If anyone has stream, please post here. Thanks.

cutesteve22
05-09-2012, 09:01 PM
http://www.lshunter.tv/streams/1/lshtennis4.html

lalaland
05-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Got it. Thanks.

lalaland
05-09-2012, 09:30 PM
A well served 1st set. 3 aces, 64% 1st serve, 100 1st serve pt won, W/UE 10/10. Net pt 3/3.

Please keep it up. Allez.

Gillouthe best
05-09-2012, 09:47 PM
He missed 3 BP :sad:, GGL up 2-*1

lalaland
05-09-2012, 10:25 PM
6-4 6-3. Well done. 1:30 match

52% 1st serve, 93% 1st won, 56% 2nd serve won, W/UE 22/22. Net 5/7, saved the only bp. Take the match at his 4th MP.

mike s.
05-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Congrats Gilles! I thought it was a good effort, now beat Tipsarevic again.

Gillouthe best
05-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Allez for Gilles vs Tipsy! Glad he managed to R3 without many problems, Tipsy will be tough in this fast surface, despite the H2H.

GilleSimonAddict
05-09-2012, 10:38 PM
It was a good performance from Gilles. He played really aggressive in the 1st set and it was nice to see. And Lopez upped his level in the 2nd and Gilles was able to rise to the occasion and just out play him shot for shot. A really nice win for him. :yeah:

lalaland
05-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Serving well is a good sign. I'm happy.

GGL has no answer for his BHDTL, just like that last time they met on hard court. He's really looking good.

C'mon Gilles, please take care of Tipsy, I really want to see you play Nole. Allez. Hopefully Nole get past Wawa.

sammy01
05-09-2012, 10:58 PM
decent performance and despite his moaning i thought he moved really well on the blue clay. 3rd round he is the heavy favourite because of the h2h.

a qtr final would put him within a whisker of a place back in the top 10!

lalaland
05-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Thurs OOP:

ARANTXA SANCHEZ VICARIO Start 1:00 pm
[16] Alexandr Dolgopolov (UKR) v [4] Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA)

Not Before 2:30 PM
Marin Cilic (CRO)v Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG)

Not Before 4:30 PM
[11] Nicolas Almagro (ESP) v [5] David Ferrer (ESP)
Gilles Simon (FRA) v Janko Tipsarevic (SRB)

Tutu
05-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Time to make him your bitch, Gilles. :bigclap:

Tipsarevic was crap against Del Bonis. Hopefully he will play even worse. :lol:

GilleSimonAddict
05-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Not a particularly good day for the Musketeers today. Tsonga and Monfils are out and you have to think that Gasquet will be as well considering his opponent. Being that I really only like Gilles of the French players anyway, it doesn't bother me, however, I do hope it's not a sign of things to come. http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/42.gif :scared:

lalaland
05-10-2012, 05:46 PM
OMG, Nadal lost to Nando :eek::eek::eek:
Never say never.

Ok, now I'm a bit nervous, I hope Gilles gets thru. He did almost lose to the Fog, so he better be very focus against Tips. Allez Gilles.

lalaland
05-10-2012, 08:25 PM
5 games in 12 mins. There's hardly any rally, both of them are serving a storm at the moment. Can they keep up? Hopefully, Gilles can maintain it.

lalaland
05-10-2012, 08:53 PM
TB now. :scared:
C'mon Gilles. You can do it.

lalaland
05-10-2012, 08:56 PM
lost both his serve, 0-3. Jeez. not looking good.

lalaland
05-10-2012, 08:58 PM
:facepalm: why are you so bad on TB :mad:

2-4

Some spectacularly bad misses and a bad net cord. C'mon Gilles, overcome your nerve and come back please.

lalaland
05-10-2012, 09:02 PM
He's godawful in TB.

lalaland
05-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Lost 1st set in TB.

Losing to Tipsy on clay would be unforgivable, despite the fact that Tipsy is higher rank.

You better come back, Gilles.

mike s.
05-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Gilles :o. It's like he loses the tiebreak in his head before it's even played.

mike s.
05-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Lost 1st set in TB.

Losing to Tipsy on clay would be unforgivable, despite the fact that Tipsy is higher rank.

You better come back, Gilles.

Well in fairness this isn't really clay, it's playing like a fast hardcourt.

GilleSimonAddict
05-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Gilles Simon's toughtest opponent has gotten the better of him once again. His mind.

He may have won the past four encounters against Tipsy, but this one is not looking good.

lalaland
05-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Well in fairness this isn't really clay, it's playing like a fast hardcourt.

They still need to slide on it...

But anyway, let me rephrase it, losing to Tipsy is unforgivable in any surface :p.

Well, okay, I admit, I don't like Tipsy, bcos he's a sexist pig. So please Gilles, you beat him, please.

mike s.
05-10-2012, 09:22 PM
They still need to slide on it...

But anyway, let me rephrase it, losing to Tipsy is unforgivable in any surface :p.

Well, okay, I admit, I don't like Tipsy, bcos he's a sexist pig. So please Gilles, you beat him, please.

I understand, he's my least favorite player in the top 20 as well.

lalaland
05-10-2012, 09:26 PM
O goodness, don't lose your serve, please Gilles.

lalaland
05-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Uh oh, did he pull sth, what's that grimace for? Jeez, don't lose to Tipsy and hurt yourself.

lalaland
05-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Ok Gilles, last chance to break him to avoid a TB. Do it....

lalaland
05-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Good man. Now go win the 3rd set. Allez.

misty1
05-10-2012, 10:10 PM
7/7 break points saved and 1/1 won

thats got to piss tipsy off

but whatever, keep going gillou!

GilleSimonAddict
05-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Gilles won the 2nd set. I'm not a religious person, but
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg21/scaled.php?server=21&filename=praisegod.gif&res=landing

star
05-10-2012, 10:14 PM
And wtf is the wtfery that is going on out there now?

:hug: Simon. Courage.

lalaland
05-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Gilles won the 2nd set. I'm not a religious person, but
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg21/scaled.php?server=21&filename=praisegod.gif&res=landing

me too.

But...

Please Lord, don't let him got broken.

:)

lalaland
05-10-2012, 10:19 PM
No answer for my prayer :sad::sad::sad:

Puschkin
05-10-2012, 10:23 PM
I really feel sorry for them, having to play in this dreadful athmosphere, nobody watching at this time of the day. It is spring in Europe, tennis should be played in the sun during the day, but when you look at the stadium, you think you are in Moscow in deep winter.

lalaland
05-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Why is he missing so badly? Please, don't fall apart now. Fight Gilles, fight it.

lalaland
05-10-2012, 10:27 PM
I could be seeing things, but I think his left leg is not moving well. Could be that he's tired, or he twisted sth. In any case, it's not good. And he's down 2 breaks. I think it's over. Damn! Damn!

GilleSimonAddict
05-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Well this went to s@#$ really quick. What the hell happened to Gilles? If anything, you would've expected the exact opposite to be happening to Janko.

lalaland
05-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Gilles, pull a Nando to come back from 2 breaks, if Nando can, so can u. C'mmmmmmmmmoooooooooonnnnnnnnnn.

GilleSimonAddict
05-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Really disappointing to see how Gilles came out in the 3rd set just flat and uninspired and showing no real effort. He had every reason to be pumped and ready to take it to a 5-0 h2h over Janko, but instead he just errored it all away. What a lousy Birthday present you gave me Gilles. :sad:

lalaland
05-10-2012, 10:48 PM
His moving to the backhand side is so awkward. I'm not trying to make any excuse, but I truly think something is not right. But of course, he lost, no excuse is gonna help. I just hope he didn't add injury to insult.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Sucks. Losing to the guy I hate, sucks even more. I'm mad :mad:.

Well, okay. I'll get over that. Just do better in Rome. Gilles :hug:

mike s.
05-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Horrendous third set from Gilles, something was definitely wrong. He made so many routine errors. I haven't been this disappointed since the Australian Open loss :mad:

GilleSimonAddict
05-10-2012, 10:56 PM
It would've actually been an easier loss for me to take if he had just lost in straight sets, but when he pulled out the 2nd set, I thought we were going to get the never say die, fight to the end, i'm gonna find a way to win this Gilles. Janko definitely played his best tennis he's ever played against Gilles in this match, but Gilles still just gave that third set a way and didn't even make him earn it and that's what bugs me the most.

mike s.
05-10-2012, 11:02 PM
It would've actually been an easier loss for me to take if he had just lost in straight sets, but when he pulled out the 2nd set, I thought we were going to get the never say die, fight to the end, i'm gonna find a way to win this Gilles. Janko definitely played his best tennis he's ever played against Gilles in this match, but Gilles still just gave that third set a way and didn't even make him earn it and that's what bugs me the most.

Agree completely, I thought for sure he had that match won which makes it even worse. I agree with Lalaland though, he was wincing at the end of the second set and I think something was wrong. In the third set he wasn't willing to rally as much and missed a lot of balls moving to his backhand. Oh well, let's get to Rome which will have much better clay and where it will be easier for Gilles to move and defend.

lalaland
05-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Well, I don't think the 3rd set loss is due to lack of efforts, but there's a lot of wild misses, really, I can only think it has something to do with his movement. But anyhow, I'm okay with it, I mean, it's a loss and it sucks big time cos of the person he lost to. But there's always another tournament, another match to win. 1 loss isn't going to ruin everything. As long as he's not injure in any way, then I'm fine. The goal is a good showing in RG, that's all that matters.

lalaland
05-11-2012, 06:50 PM
There's a lot written up on L'Equipe yesterday, here are some of them, comments from Nole and Rafa, and the last little bit is Gilles' match...

Choc à Madrid : Rafael Nadal a perdu et menace de ne plus disputer ce Masters 1000. Cette terre n’est définitivement pas la sienne. Et le tournoi semble en danger.

RAREMENT UN TOURNOI a semblé aussi groggy que le Masters 1000 de Madrid hier soir. Comme K.-O. debout sous l’accumulation des critiques formulées depuis quelques jours par les joueurs et joueuses, unanimes pour dénoncer le non-sens de la glissance des terres battues de la Caja Magica. Qu’elles soient bleues n’arrange rien à l’affaire. Qu’elles soient assimilées à des patinoires est plus grave. Que Rafael Nadal, battu hier dès les huitièmes de finale par Fernando Verdasco (6-3, 3-6, 7-5), menace de ne plus y remettre les pieds ressemble à un danger de mort. Hier s’est déroulé le match sur terre du Majorquin le plus moche depuis sa défaite contre Juan Carlos Ferrero à Rome en 2008 ( 7- 5, 6- 1). À l’époque, une ampoule géante l’empêchait de poser un pied par terre. Hier, zéro souci physique mais énorme problème technique. Pas tant dans son jeu que sous ses pieds. Pour commencer, pas d’appuis, pas d’équilibre, et une double faute suspecte pour donner le break d’entrée à Verdasco (19e). Puis les fragilités morales de ce dernier le rattrapèrent peu à peu au point que Nadal, tout juste moyen, servit pour le match à 3-6, 6-3, 5-2. Et passa à deux points du match. En vain. Nouveau débreak à 5-4 ! Mais que la balle sortait mal de la raquette du sextuple vainqueur de Roland-garros ! Que de coups décentrés ou « courtissimes » ! L’ombre de l’hombre Nadal.

Nadal : « Je quitte Madrid avec la hanche douloureuse »

Vainqueur treize fois sur treize de ce compatriote à la patte gauche merveilleuse et au cerveau bouillonnant, Nadal ne lui avait d’ailleurs jamais cédé un set sur terre. Alors on comprit les larmes de joie du Madrilène après avoir enfilé les cinq derniers jeux vitesse grandvpour enfin mater le héros national, au bout de 3h 10’ ! Il s’allongea sans doute un peu trop longtemps sur le dos pour célébrer ce àquoi il ne croyait peut-être plus tout à fait, pendant que son vaincu l’attendait sans bouger au filet pour lui serrer la main et rapidement retrouver le plancher des vaches. Le mal de terre bleue ? Nadal le ressentait bien fortement quand il s’exprima devant la presse, à peine quelques minutes plus tard : « Jesuis l’un de ceux qui prennent le plus fortement appui au sol, et ici, ça n’était juste pas possible. Quand je veux redémarrer, je perds l’équilibre vers l’avant. » Et il y a pire : « Je quitte Madrid avec la hanche douloureuse à cause des rectifications de mouvements qu’il faut faire ici. Je ne suis pas prêt àmettre en péril l’année qui vient s’il m’arrive un pépin à la hanche. Pour moi, il y a deux options. Soit ça change ici, soit... Je ne suis pas en train de piquer ma crise, pour moi c’est vraiment une grande malchance de ne pas jouer à Madrid. C’est un tournoi de terre, à la période adéquate pour moi, mais les circonstances vont rendre impossible ma participation. Si les choses continuent comme ça, j’en suis très triste, mais il y aura l’an prochain un tournoi de moins à mon calendrier. » La direction du tournoi n’a prévu aucun commentaire avant que la semaine s’achève, mais Gérard Tsobanian, bras droit du patron, Ion Tiriac, essayait hier de ne pas aller dans l’extrême : « Quand on mène 5-2 et qu’on perd, ça n’est pas la faute de la couleur. Mais le court, c’est vrai, il n’est pas bon. C’est peutêtre sous la colère du moment que les joueurs parlent. » Ou peut-être pas ? « Quand Rafa s’exprime comme il l’a fait, ça a beaucoup de poids, reconnut Roger Federer après avoir effacé Gasquet hier soir. C’est vrai que ça glisse beaucoup. La nouvelle couleur ? En tout cas ça n’a pas aidé. » Richard Gasquet, qui avait regardé le match, n’avait pas reconnu son copain de la promo 1986 : « Rafa ne courait pas comme d’habitude, il ne glissait pas, on voyait qu’il n’avait pas ses appuis. »

Federer numéro 2 lundi ?
Il n’y avait hier soir aucune parole d’apaisement dans la critique posée du champion espagnol : « Si vous mettez du gazon à Cincinnati (en août), que se passera- t-il ? Vous croyez que les gens seront contents de jouer là-dessus juste avant L’US Open ? Je ne crois pas. Et on est ici exactement dans ce type de situation. Maintenant, je pars pour Rome avec le manque de confiance que je dois à tout le travail effectué pour essayer de bien jouer à Madrid ! Parce que le pire, c’est qu’il n’y a pas un autre tournoi où je sois arrivé aussi tôt que sur celui-là ( six jours avant son premier match !). Ça veut bien dire que j’avais tout fait pour bien jouer ici. » En fin de programme, Novak Djokovic, malgré une chute spectaculaire à la suite d’un nouveau dérapage incontrôlé, a su se débarrasser hier de Stan Wawrinka (21e), 7-6, 6-4. Très remonté contre cette terre après son premier match, le Serbe en a remis une couche : « Celui qui va gagner ici, sera celui qui ne se blessera pas, parce que beaucoup de joueurs tombent depuis le début. Ceux qui habituellement glissent beaucoup, comme Monfils et moi, souffrent peut-être plus car ça met beaucoup de pression dans les muscles. » Lenuméro 1mondial a néanmoins su passer outre sa frustration et reste en lice pour défendre son titre. Nadal, lui, n’a peut-être pas fini de tout perdre à Madrid puisqu’il serait rétrogradé au troisième rang mondial, lundi, si d’aventure Federer remportait le tournoi. Lui faire ça chez lui !
JULIEN REBOULLET

( avec F. Ra.) COLÈRE FROIDE mais sereine et contrôlée, hier, pour Toni Nadal, qui fut très précis, souriant et ferme au moment de commenter la défaite de son neveu : « Verdasco a mérité sa victoire, mais L’ATP, elle, mérite une amende pour avoir permis la tenue d’un tournoi pareil. Sur ce court, Rafael n’avait jamais d’équilibre, c’est pour ça que la balle sortait mal de sa raquette et qu’il perdait en confiance. Bien sûr qu’il n’avait pas de rythme, car il ne peut pas y avoir de rythme quand on ne sait même pas pourquoi on gagne ou on perd le point. C’est vrai, on peut dire que ça allait la veille contre Davydenko, mais c’est parce que le style «C’ESTENCORE un peu dur d’assimiler ce que je viens de faire. Je suis incroyablement heureux, c’est bien sûr la plus grande victoire demacarrière. Que ça a été long, toutes ces années à s’affronter sans le battre ! Le smash facile qu’ilmanque à 5-2, 15-0 pour lui au troisième set a changé le match. J’ai continué à y croire tout le temps. Ça n’est qu’à la finque je n’y croyais pas ! Je n’oublierai jamais l’émotion ressentie après la victoire. On parle beaucoup du court bleu, mais ça n’est pas la couleur qui change quoi que ce soit. L’an dernier, j’avais perdu ici dès le premier tour et je glissais déjà sans cesse. Cette année, ce sont les mêmes conditions d’adhérence. » de jeu était différent et aussi, même surtout, parce que Davydenko ne tenait carrément pas debout. D’ailleurs, même aujourd’hui (hier), au troisième set, pendant un moment, c’est Verdasco qui ne trouvait plus ses appuis. Ce que tout ça va changer pour la suite de la saison sur terre ? Déjà, j’espère qu’on ne va pas comptabiliser cette défaite comme étant arrivée dans la saison sur terre mais plutôt dans la saison de patinage. Notre objectif est très simple maintenant : retrouver ailleurs son jeu, qu’il a perdu en jouant ici cette semaine. Est-ce qu’on reviendra disputer le tournoi de Madrid ? S’ils ne changent pas les courts, c’est la dernière fois qu’on vient ici. » – J. Re.

------------
IL Était 23h 48 quand gilles Simon ( notre photo) a fini par abdiquer face à Janko Tipsarevic après 2 h 37’ de jeu (7-6, 5-7, 6-1). Pourtant, il n’avait perdu son premier point sur son premier service qu’au dixième jeu d’un premier set qu’il allait lâcher au terme d’un tie-break caviardé. Pourtant, il allait sauver sept balles de break dans une éreintante deuxième manche, dont cinq de suite sur des services gagnants, avant d’engranger à la volée le set sur sa première occasion de prendre le service serbe… Mais malgré la qualité de son engagement, cette volonté sans faille de ne rien lâcher, le Français allait finir par craquer. Dans la troisième manche, il ne marquait que deux des quatorze premiers points face à un Tipsarevic au moins aussi valeureux que lui dans un match d’une grande qualité. « C’est moi qui ai le plus couru et qui étais le plus fatigué, analysait le Français. Mais je ne m’entraîne pas pour jouer des matches à minuit. J’ai l’impression d’être en décalage horaire… » – F. Ra

Rafa said the court gave no support, he got hip pain playing on it caused by the correction of the movements. Nole said those who usually slide a lot suffers more because it puts a lot of pressure in the muscles… Gilles said he felt tired. So I guess it takes more out of those who found it harder to adapt to this surface. I mean, if he’s tired for a 2.5 hrs match, how’s he going to deal with a 5 setters in RG? unless this surface is more taxing for him than other surface. He did moved very awkwardly at the end, probably it’s harder to control your movement if your muscles are screaming. He better condition himself better then, (and skip Nice). Anyhow, I kinda feel better now, you don’t want one tournament to take too much out of you that could hinder the progress. So look at the bright side, now he can focus back on red clay and not let the blue clay disrupt his preparation. It’s not a bad thing, if I see it that way.

mike s.
05-11-2012, 07:42 PM
This court is terrible for players who need to move well to play well. Gilles never felt comfortable on this surface so he didn't feel comfortable getting into long rallies. I think it's good he gets a couple of days off and then gets to regroup for Rome.

That said, Gilles had such an opportunity here, Janko looks like he is going to take out Novak so he obviously wasn't playing well. He could have made back to back semis of a masters if he kept his head in the first set tiebreak or at the beginning of the third set :mad:

lalaland
05-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Novak just lost. :sad: :sad: :sad:

It's indeed an opportunity lost. If Gilles had won, he would have gone up to Top 10 in terms of base point for Rome (meaning he could be Top 10 after Rome as long as he maintains his position). Now, he's still behind Fish and Isner, Top 10 is almost not possible unless he outperforms Isner significantly next week. Then again, Top 10 in the middle of the season is really not that important...

Well, there's no point of dwelling on the loss. It's upsetting that he didn't seize the opportunity. It's easier to just look ahead. They said the best player don't look back, way easier that way as fans too. I'm just hoping this loss is not one that would impend his development for the clay season, and it really shouldn't be, if you should consider this surface is an exception more than the norm.

GilleSimonAddict
05-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Janko just took out both of my guys :mad:.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/dynasonic/Misc/Ewwwwwwww.gif

lalaland
05-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Gosh, that pic is scary :scared:

if he kept his head in the first set tiebreak
What are we going to do with him on TB? He sucks loads! 4-8 on TB this year. It's all mental. And as good as he is recently, he still can't deal :o.

Stronga23
05-11-2012, 11:31 PM
This was a good loss for Gilles. He needs some rest so he can make a run at Rome. I am expecting him and Gael to do damage at RG :D

GilleSimonAddict
05-12-2012, 12:39 AM
Gosh, that pic is scary :scared:

:lol: I know right.

What are we going to do with him on TB? He sucks loads! 4-8 on TB this year. It's all mental. And as good as he is recently, he still can't deal :o.

Oh this so much. This is what wasn't a problem when he made his run to 6 in the world back in late 2008/2009. He was so focused, determined and unafraid. This is what hurts me so bad as a Gilles Simon fan. I can actually take a loss pretty well when somebody just plays better than somebody that day and they have no chance of winning or if they are just a better player in a different league all together. But when you watch a guy like Gilles beat himself and throw away the opportunities he works so hard to create, it just devastates me. I can't stand watching him do that.

That's why the Tipsy match last night sucked so bad. He had chances when it got to the first tiebreak to up his level and really press Tipsy and instead he got nervous and started making errors he wasn't making in the games leading up to the tiebreak and then a whole new set to work with in the third and he just gave it up after he hit that sitter forehand wide in the first game of the third up 40-30. It's like he just couldn't put it behind him and came undone. He's got to get a better grip on his mental state. I know he's never going to win a slam, but I still hold out hope that he could do like Davydenko and win a masters or the year ending championship. Less likely each passing year though I know. :sad:

lalaland
05-12-2012, 04:40 AM
Oh this so much. This is what wasn't a problem when he made his run to 6 in the world back in late 2008/2009. He was so focused, determined and unafraid. This is what hurts me so bad as a Gilles Simon fan. I can actually take a loss pretty well when somebody just plays better than somebody that day and they have no chance of winning or if they are just a better player in a different league all together. But when you watch a guy like Gilles beat himself and throw away the opportunities he works so hard to create, it just devastates me. I can't stand watching him do that.

I feel exactly the same way, and yes, that hurts very much.
However, I still believe that he's just one step away from getting back that mental that he has in 2008. Because we have seen it before, so we know that he has it in him to do such.

That's why the Tipsy match last night sucked so bad. He had chances when it got to the first tiebreak to up his level and really press Tipsy and instead he got nervous and started making errors he wasn't making in the games leading up to the tiebreak and then a whole new set to work with in the third and he just gave it up after he hit that sitter forehand wide in the first game of the third up 40-30. It's like he just couldn't put it behind him and came undone. He's got to get a better grip on his mental state.

I felt the same way too.
Thing is, I think when he plays someone that he knows it will take 110% to beat, he controls his emotion much better against adversity. But when he's playing someone he knows he should beat, then he got grumpy when he made mistakes or that he couldn't get the other guy to get off his game. But then, the match against Tipsy, it's not only that Gilles cracked, it's that Tipsy was playing very well in the 3rd set, I think we need to give credit to Tipsy regardless of how we feel about him, he came up big at the 3rd. Maybe that's why I never felt the match was Gilles to take after the 2nd set, because Tipsy was holding his own very well except that one game that got away from him. I think you guys thought Gilles' gonna win after the 2nd bcos in the past, the old Tipsy would have cracked first. But I think ever since last fall, Tipsy has became a different player, not the headcase that he was anymore. But anyway, I do agree totally that Gilles needs to let go of his mistakes and not get undone by that. That's really why some of us always get annoyed by him getting so grumpy during matches, his emotion gets in his way. Although he gets away with that when facing lesser opponents, he can't be wasting those mental energy against a quality opponent.

I know he's never going to win a slam, but I still hold out hope that he could do like Davydenko and win a masters or the year ending championship. Less likely each passing year though I know. :sad:

He's probably never going to win a slam, but I still believe he'll win a TMS, it's not wishful thinking although he'll probably need some luck to get there. And I think he believes that he can, and as long as he believes that, then the goal is within reach. It's the power of positive thinking :).

mike s.
05-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Tougher draw for Gilles in Rome. He has an easy start against Young but then has potential matches against Andujar, Ferrer, then Murray just to get to the semis, a lot of the people he struggles against. Oh well, allez Gilles at least make the third round!

GilleSimonAddict
05-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Ugh, Murray. The guy who's basically a better tennis player version of Gilles. At least Gilles wins out hands down on the sexy factor.

Anyway, Realistically I see Gilles being able to get through the first two rounds ok. Then it becomes trickier with Ferrer for sure, but he's still got a chance, but if he gets to Murray, i'm afraid that's where the journey will end because Andy, like I said, is just a better version of Gilles. He does everything just a little bit better. Serve, movement, power etc. Maybe because of the fact that it will be on clay instead of a hard court will be a bit of a factor in Gilles' favor, but I really don't see him getting past Murray. Either way, will be rooting him on and hoping for the best.

mike s.
05-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Ugh, Murray. The guy who's basically a better tennis player version of Gilles. At least Gilles wins out hands down on the sexy factor.

Anyway, Realistically I see Gilles being able to get through the first two rounds ok. Then it becomes trickier with Ferrer for sure, but he's still got a chance, but if he gets to Murray, i'm afraid that's where the journey will end because Andy, like I said, is just a better version of Gilles. He does everything just a little bit better. Serve, movement, power etc. Maybe because of the fact that it will be on clay instead of a hard court will be a bit of a factor in Gilles' favor, but I really don't see him getting past Murray. Either way, will be rooting him on and hoping for the best.

We have to hope he's rusty and have Nalbandian or Gasquet take him out!

Gillouthe best
05-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Allez for Gilles vs Young! Donald has been playing awful lately, plus this is on clay so it shold be an easy win on the paper for Gillou.

GilleSimonAddict
05-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Well Tuesday's schedule is up and Gilles will be last up on PIETRANGELI Arena, which is a televised court, (YAY!) :yippee:. The camera is also really close on that court so you get to be right in tight on the action. Go Gilles! :cheerleader:

Stronga23
05-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Double dose of Gael and Gilles on Pietrangeli :D

mike s.
05-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Double dose of Gael and Gilles on Pietrangeli :D

Hope both of them win, I like to see his friends do well.

Hopefully Gilles isn't too overconfident. No matter how bad Young has played, he has to remain focused.

lalaland
05-14-2012, 11:03 PM
I wonder how Donald Young got a Top 50 ranking. I can't recall seeing him beat anyone. Well, okay, I'm sure he won some matches, I probably just wasn't paying attention.

And yes, hopefully Gilles keeps his focus. Allez Gilles. Good luck in Rome, hope you stay for the weekend ;).

Gillouthe best
05-15-2012, 07:08 AM
Lala, he beat Murray, Melzer, Wawrinka & Monfils last year, and made R4 at USO and F at Bangkok if I recall it correctly.

mike s.
05-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Young was horrible in the first set :o Keep your focus Gilles and close this out in two.

lalaland
05-15-2012, 05:51 PM
I just turned my stream on at Set 2, he's sloppy, what's going on? C'mon Gilles.

Gillouthe best
05-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Allez Gilles, react!

mike s.
05-15-2012, 06:04 PM
This is one of the worst sets I've ever seen Gilles play. Young was so bad in the first set it brought Gilles level down I guess.

lalaland
05-15-2012, 06:08 PM
:facepalm:

Not liking what I see, where's that clay form of yours?

Gillouthe best
05-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Gilles :banghead:, he doesn't win any points on Young serve :mad:

lalaland
05-15-2012, 06:14 PM
WTF, Gilles :mad: are you kidding me? Don't lose your serve.

mike s.
05-15-2012, 06:16 PM
He's just moping around too. No energy, no fight today at all.

lalaland
05-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Okay, very rare that I want him to get angry at himself, but I'm liking that he just yelled at himself. A little emotion would be good for him. He's so flat that I want to kick him to give him a little push.

mike s.
05-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Thank goodness, a win is a win. He'll have to play better next round but I'm confident he will.

lalaland
05-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Well, that ends rather abruptly. I'm glad, cos it's horrible to watch. He got away with such a lackluster performance, won't be so lucky next time against a better opponent, like GGL.

misty1
05-15-2012, 06:31 PM
that last service break was pretty quick

play better next time please gilles

Gillouthe best
05-15-2012, 06:33 PM
He won in straights :woohoo:, now GGL again, who's playing great in Rome ( he destroyed Falla, Karlovic & Andujar), so it will be tough IMO, allez Gilles for that match!

GilleSimonAddict
05-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Part of the problem was the horrible conditions on the court. The wind was really swirling down there and having to go from playing against the wind to into the wind isn't easy. Especially when it's your first match, and then when Simon got irritated by that fact, it also negatively effected his game. Also, Young did up his level a bit in the second set. Chalk it up to first match jitters. Now that he's gotten that first match under his belt, hopefully he can relax some and start playing more up to form again.

Another battle with Lopez who played pretty well last week. Good luck Gilles!

lalaland
05-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Wed OOP:

Vania King (USA) v [12] Angelique Kerber (GER)WTA
[7] Marion Bartoli (FRA) v Julia Goerges (GER)WTA

Not Before 2:00 PM
[Q] Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP)v Gilles Simon (FRA)ATP

GilleSimonAddict
05-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Court 4??? Ugh, wonderful. :rolleyes:

MsTree
05-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Good that he won in straights even if it wasn't pretty! Allez! :cheerleader:

mike s.
05-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Court 4??? Ugh, wonderful. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that's not a tv court :rolleyes:

TennisFan2012
05-16-2012, 02:59 AM
Mike S., unfortunately, here in the US, Gilles' matches won't be shown even if he IS on a TV court, unless it's a final or he's playing one of the top 3, or Isner.

If he wins the next match, he plays Ferrer. I guess there is a chance that we could see that one, unless one of the top 3 is playing at the same time--or Serena or Sharapova.

lalaland
05-16-2012, 07:06 AM
a short paragraph in the paper:

Gilles Simon, vainqueur 6-2, 7-5, de Donald Young montrait le même soulagement. L’américain, qui n’avait gagné qu’un match sur terre dans sa carrière, avait servi pour le deuxième set à 5- 4. « Les conditions de jeu étaient dures. Dans ce bordel, c’était difficile de garder le rythme, confirmait le Français après sa treizième victoire sur terre. Je n’étais pas en grande forme et le deuxième set a été limite. Mais j’ai profité de son manque de confiance à 4-5 pour débreaker. Je le sentais fébrile et la machine s’est enrayée. J’espère que ma baisse d’énergie ne va pas durer face à Garcia Lopez. »

Well, I hope he has more energy tomorrow, he'll need it against GGL.

mike s.
05-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Gilles won the first set but is down a break in the second, 4-1. He can't make it easy on us for once.

mike s.
05-16-2012, 03:02 PM
He lost the second 6-2 :mad:

mike s.
05-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Down a break in the third now, it seems he's lost his form from earlier this clay season. Wish I could see what was going on.

mike s.
05-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Gilles came back from 0-4, two breaks down to win 6-4 in the third :worship:

lalaland
05-16-2012, 04:03 PM
I woke up and he's down 2-4 in the 3rd, and then he won 4 games to win the match. Well done.
But I think we shouldn't have high hope for the next match, he never beat Ferrer on clay before and I don't think he can do it tomorrow, especially after a 2.5hr match today, and he already said he has no energy yesterday.

I don't know what's going on with him, but if I'm him, I'll check with a doctor. I mean, his performances lately since MC, and what he said after matches, there's a recurring theme, tired, no energy, fatique... I'm getting worry for him.

lalaland
05-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Oh, so he was down 0-4 and won 6 games? wow, bravo. He broke the last GGL serve from 0-40 down. :worship:

mike s.
05-16-2012, 04:12 PM
I woke up and he's down 2-4 in the 3rd, and then he won 4 games to win the match. Well done.
But I think we shouldn't have high hope for the next match, he never beat Ferrer on clay before and I don't think he can do it tomorrow, especially after a 2.5hr match today, and he already said he has no energy yesterday.

I don't know what's going on with him, but if I'm him, I'll check with a doctor. I mean, his performances lately since MC, and what he said after matches, there's a recurring theme, tired, no energy, fatique... I'm getting worry for him.

Agree with this, but at least he's had a much better claycourt season than last year and picked up a lot of points. I don't think he should play in Nice, it's not worth it. He needs to be physically ready for Paris.

misty1
05-16-2012, 04:13 PM

yeah me too, i am seriously concerned about what's going on here.

happy he got through it today but im not thrilled about what david might do to him in the next round

lalaland
05-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Well, I guess the bright side is, his body is tired, his mind is not. I mean, we've seen him mentally drained end of last year, when he's horrendous and losing matches in bagel. At least now he's fighting no matter how behind he is. That will catch up to him some time, but not now.

I so hope he get out of Nice, or at least tank the first match or sth, not sure if he'll do that though, it being Nice his hometown. But the folks there will understand he needs some rest before RG.

But as Mike said, he's done well on clay this year. I always see the clay season as an X-factor for him. He's performance on HC is more reliable and consistent. He can count on getting a certain amount of points on that surface. But if he does well on clay, those are the one that will move him up the ranking. The most important tournament on clay is still coming. Expectation is high this year, he needs to be well prepared both physically and mentally. Anyway, we'll see what happens. And as for tomorrow, I still hope for the best despite not expecting him to win. Allez Gilles.

lalaland
05-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Thurs OOP:

SUPERTENNIS ARENA Start 11:00 am
Sorana Cirstea (ROU)v[4] Petra Kvitova (CZE)
[6] David Ferrer (ESP)v[11] Gilles Simon (FRA)
[16] Richard Gasquet (FRA)v[4] Andy Murray (GBR)

Allez Gilles!

Gilloulou
05-16-2012, 07:36 PM
i think he beat Ferrer in Hamburg last season in the SF

Gillouthe best
05-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Nope, he beated Ferrer at Cincy R3 7-5 in the third. It was Youzhny who he beated in Hamburg SF.

Anyways, Allez for Gilles vs Ferrer, hope he gives everything he has!

GilleSimonAddict
05-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Hats off to you Mike S. :hatoff: for suffering through the old scoreboard torture test.

I just wasn't up for watching the scoreboard this morning (too stressful http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/102.gif) so I went on a blackout until I thought the match would be over and was literally shaking as I clicked on the mouse to reveal the scores of the day only to see that Gilles was able to beat Lopez yet again. And to find out how he did it just makes me that much more proud of him.

I wouldn't read too much into the whole lack of energy thing. That's just Gilles being his humble and honest self and more the result, I think, of his recent string of success more than a possible underlying ailment of some kind. After all, when you're playing well and winning a lot, you're naturally playing a lot more tennis as a result of that success going farther in tournaments more regularly. Also, Gilles has said that the reason why he is playing so much better now is because he is finally pain free in his knee and back and knows he can go as long as it takes. So if anything, he's healthier than ever.

Again, I am so proud of him when he pulls out wins like this instead of just going a way like so many others would, including a few of his fellow countrymen. It's the truest sign of someone with the heart of a champion. To never give up. It makes me wish that I actually could've seen this match that much more. I bet his winning reaction and yell on match point was intense and awesomely rewarding too! http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/111.gif

I know Ferrer will be a tough match up for him, but he is definitely in it with a chance and the one thing that does trouble him, being overpowered, won't be a problem with Ferrer since he has neither a big serve or powerful groundstrokes. This will be a match up of a grinder vs a counterpuncher. In fact, I think Gilles has more pop on his groundies and serve than Ferrer does. We'll see. Good luck Gilles! :cheerleader:

lalaland
05-17-2012, 07:11 AM
I wouldn't read too much into the whole lack of energy thing. That's just Gilles being his humble and honest self

:lol: not sure what you mean, but I like it all the same.
I won't really describe Gilles as humble, but he doesn't brag and he has good perspective of things, that could be counted as characters of a humble person.

Anyway, this is on the paper:

HIER, GILLES SIMON ne se souvenait pas avoir opéré pareil renversement de situation. « Revenir de 0-4 dans un dernier set, franchement ça ne me dit rien. » Avec l’opiniâtreté qu’on lui connaît, le Français finit par écoeurer, frappe après frappe, point après point, jeu après jeu, un Guillermo Garcia-lopez pourtant bien disposé (6-4, 2-6, 6-4). On aurait pu l’imaginer sautant de joie et débordant d’enthousiasme. Pas le genre de la maison. « Sur terre, je sais que les points, il faut les faire, dit-il avec le pragmatisme qu’on lui connaît. Ensuite, quand tu prends l’ascendant, tu le prends dans tous les domaines. Sur la fin, j’étais clairement au-dessus. » Fort de sa quatorzième victoire sur terre de la saison, Simon pourrait se voir beau avant son huitième de finale. Mais il tombe sur un os, un « Pou », une « Mobylette » : David Ferrer et son réservoir d’essence (presque) toujours plein. En trois confrontations sur l’ocre, le Français n’a grappillé qu’onze jeux en trois matches. Misère, misère… « Des matches vraiment pas mauvais, mais où j’ai pourtant gagné très peu de jeux à l’arrivée, résume Simon. Face à lui, si on est juste un poil au-dessous, ça peut quand même faire très mal. C’est un gars qui ne lâche rien, qui rebondit tout le temps. On a l’impression qu’il n’est jamais fatigué. Il t’envoie à droite, à gauche, et dès que tu retiens un peu, c’est la sanction. Il passe devant au score, et c’est fini… » Simon possède t-il suffisamment de réserves pour oxyder l’inoxydable ? « Physiquement, je me sens mal, mais j’étais bien mieux aujourd’hui (hier) que lors du premier tour, explique-t-il. Tous les jours sont différents… Et puis, j’aurai moins de pression que contre Garcia-lopez. » Tacticien émérite, le Français n’est pas certain de détenir le remède anti-pou. « En revanche, je sais très bien ce qu’il ne faudra pas faire ! Il va falloir que je lui propose quelque chose de différent. Pas service- volée ou retour- volée, hein ! Mais quelque chose qui force le jeu pour changer la donne et passer au-dessus. » D’avance, on lui souhaite bien du courage… Mais Simon a encore prouvé hier qu’il n’en manquait pas.

I also found an article that actually describe the match:

Sans être impérial sur le court, le Niçois entamait bien la rencontre, se détachant très rapidement au score (3/1). Il subissait alors un premier coup d’arrêt, encaissant 3 jeux consécutifs (3/4). Mais u ne fin de manche bien mieux maitrisée de sa part lui permettait finalement d’empocher le set inscrivant à son tour 3 jeux de suite (6/4 en 51 minutes).

Alors que l’on pensait que le gain de cette première manche allait mettre Simon en confiance, c’est l’inverse qui se produisit sur le court. Garcia-Lopez, visiblement blessé par la perte de cette première manche, démarrait pied au plancher ce set, prenant très rapidement ses aises vis-à-vis du Niçois (1/4). L’Espagnol se permettait même de luxe de conclure la manche sur un deuxième break (2/6 en 37 minutes). Désormais dominateur sur le court, le 85e joueur mondial ne relâchait pas son étreinte sur Simon, se détachant très nettement au score dans le troisième et dernier set (0/4). Totalement dominé, sans solutions sur le court, Gilles Simon semblait se diriger tout droit vers une défaite qui aurait pu lui faire très mal. Au pied du mur, il se décidait enfin à lâcher ses coups, quant il se contentait jusque-là de défendre. Une tactique qui s’avérait de suite payante et qui permettait au Français de refaire dans un premier temps l’un de ses deux breaks de retard (2/4). En face, Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, issu des qualifications et qui disputait ce mercredi son 5e match en 8 jours, sombrait définitivement, ne parvenant plus à marquer le moindre jeu et laissait donc Gilles Simon s’envoler vers la victoire (6/4).

GilleSimonAddict
05-17-2012, 08:55 AM
:lol: not sure what you mean, but I like it all the same.
I won't really describe Gilles as humble, but he doesn't brag and he has good perspective of things, that could be counted as characters of a humble person.

Oh I would. I would absolutely describe Gilles as humble. Like you said. He doesn't brag or boast about his abilities.

What I meant when I said that is, Gilles always seems to be downplaying his wins and accomplishments and says I was tired or I got a little bit lucky when sometimes he really just outplayed the other guy either totally or when it mattered most in certain situations but he rarely ever says that. He's too humble to. Nadal is like that too and he's not even a favorite of mine. You would never catch say Tsonga passing up the opportunity to let everybody know how great he is or how great he played. Or at least how great he "thinks" he is. ;) No offense to Tsonga fans, but what the hay, this is the Gilles Simon thread right. :lol:

sammy01
05-17-2012, 09:33 AM
just happy he fought that win out. losing to 2 of his bitches in 2 straight weeks would have been really annoying.

he needs to be solid as a rock against ferrer

lalaland
05-17-2012, 11:48 AM
You would never catch say Tsonga passing up the opportunity to let everybody know how great he is or how great he played.

Apparently, Jo said this after beating Troicki the other day:

"Je suis assez sûr dans mon jeu. J’ai utilisé le bon schéma de jeu. Mais d’un autre côté, Troicki est un besogneux, pas très talentueux. Les conditions étaient lentes et ma puissance a fait la différence. C’est normal que j’aie eu l’avantage. Maintenant, on va attendre tranquillement mon adversaire [Del Potro, vainqueur de Youznhy cet après-midi, ndlr].
:lol: he lost to Troicki 3 times before this week.

Sorry, off topic.

lalaland
05-17-2012, 12:43 PM
5 games in and he's not even on the board yet. UEs everywhere. He look a bit defeated already :facepalm:. I hope he gets a game in set 1 :o

GilleSimonAddict
05-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Wow! Bagel anyone? Well, we knew that this would be a tough match up for Gilles against Ferrer, especially on clay. Add to that the fact that it's once again super windy today. But it's really not surprising to see Gilles in this mess when he seems content to just stand ten feet behind the baseline and lob soft balls to Ferrer who is standing on or inside the baseline ready to pounce. Gilles has got to be more assertive and aggressive or else he is just going to get routed by the grinder who just doesn't miss.

lalaland
05-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Bageled :o.

lalaland
05-17-2012, 12:50 PM
I think he seems content to lose this one without a fight, well, at least the first set was like it. See if he can summon up some energy and desire to do sth in the 2nd set.

lalaland
05-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Finally, he won a game and raised his arms in triumph :lol:. Still playing like he's half dead though.

lalaland
05-17-2012, 01:16 PM
He was up 40-0 and still took him 6 game pts to win his serve game. Still, it was better, he's hitting deeper shots and forcing David to back off a little from the baseline.

lalaland
05-17-2012, 01:23 PM
:eek: won a love game on his serve. Cool. 3-3.

GilleSimonAddict
05-17-2012, 01:27 PM
I think Gilles may finally be starting to get it that he can't play the way he usually does against bigger and harder hitting players who generate the pace for him. He's going to have to create his own pace, which he hates to do most of the time, and be on or just behind the baseline ready to attack. He can't rally shot for shot with Ferrer because he can do that all day and never miss. He's a grinder. It's his forte. Gilles is going to have to flatten out his groundies and be more willing to take risks or else he's just going to get out pushed.

lalaland
05-17-2012, 01:27 PM
:eek: he broke. leading 4-3 in 2nd.

C'mon Gilles, get a set. Allez.

lalaland
05-17-2012, 01:29 PM
I think Gilles may finally be starting to get it that he can't play the way he usually does against bigger and harder hitting players who generate the pace for him. He's going to have to create his own pace, which he hates to do most of the time, and be on or just behind the baseline ready to attack. He can't rally shot for shot with Ferrer because he can do that all day and never miss. He's a grinder. It's his forte. Gilles is going to have to flatten out his groundies and be more willing to take risks or else he's just going to get out pushed.

I think he already knew that, he said that himself. But he's just not into it the first set. And David didn't even play anything much to bagel him. And as soon as Gilles up his level a little, David starts missing himself. It's quite a low quality match so far.

GilleSimonAddict
05-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Well if he knew it he certainly wasn't doing it, but he is now and it's paying off so far. We may go three *fingers crossed*

lalaland
05-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Please serve out this set, c'mon Gilles, do it.

lalaland
05-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Damn, he choked. Broken at love :o

lalaland
05-17-2012, 01:44 PM
David choked too, gave the break back to Gilles. C'mon Gilles, saves us from a TB, just serve it out please. Allez.

GilleSimonAddict
05-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Second times the charm maybe?

lalaland
05-17-2012, 01:48 PM
David just up his game and broke back. Damnit Gilles, if you can't serve it out, forget the TB, no chance.

lalaland
05-17-2012, 01:50 PM
:banghead::banghead::banghead: TB is torture.

lalaland
05-17-2012, 02:01 PM
So disappointed, can't even win a set. :sad:

GilleSimonAddict
05-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Well it's another one of those darn matches where we have to say that Gilles had his chances but couldn't compose himself long enough to win the crucial points and games, as well as what if's. What if he had won the second set. What if he hadn't wasted the whole first set figuring out how to play against Ferrer etc. etc. So frustrating, but we all know that these things come with the Simon territory. We love him anyway.