Memphis F: Melzer over Raonic 7-5 7-6 (4) for Memphis title [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Memphis F: Melzer over Raonic 7-5 7-6 (4) for Memphis title

LocoPorElTenis
02-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Miloswagon derailed.

Tom Paulman
02-26-2012, 09:51 PM
What a shitty outcome

hipolymer
Typical that he loses against the first above average player he faces.

ViennaCalling
Great display from Jürgen :bowdown:

LawrenceOfTennis
Better player won.

madmax
Yessss!
No title for all-serve clown...
tennis triumphs today:bowdown:

LisaKoh
Haha, v-cash baby!

ossie
shame, would have been nice for raonic to win back to back tournaments but then again melzer is no slouch.

henke007
02-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Meltzdown had won 3 joke MM titles before he got a 500 joke that it is gifted from milos..

This Fluke puts him ahead of Tsonga in the race :)

ZaZoo)
I'm sorry Melzer, imma let you finish but Marko got the best WC in Dubai!!

Naudio Spanlatine
Melzer took out two towers in straights :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

WHERE HAS THIS AGGRESSIVE PLAY BEEN JURGEN:sobbing: :sobbing:

Milos, i still love you great job on making the final twice in a row on both san jose and memphis, im still happy for you:sobbing: :sobbing:

Tom Paulman
02-26-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm sorry Melzer, imma let you finish but Marko got the best WC in Dubai!!

:worship:

OF ALL TIME!!!

tennishero
02-26-2012, 09:53 PM
fantastic result, anyone that defeats the servebot deserves a big lump sum of money and trophy. tennis wins

duong
02-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Great for Melzer :yeah: :clap2:

yes, people will speak more about Raonic, but Melzer was for much in that outcome too :yeah:

Puschkin
Bravo Jürgen well done. :woohoo: Tennis is more than a first serve!

samanosuke
Next few weeks will show will this tournament be one of the flukes of the year but have somehow feeling this will happen . One of those tournaments when guy comes from nowhere and after disappears again . Well played Melzer though . Just showed one more time that big server are good match up for him

rinnegan
Good for tennis.

Eddy DoubleD
The shitty player won...I guess Milos played crap today.:banghead: He has no excuse anyway.

ReturnWinner
Good for the game, nice shotmaking and variety from Jurgen and good returning too :)

ossie
the reason i dont see raonic become a threat to the top 5 anytime soon is because he doesnt really have comeback potential once he gets behind. his ground game is decent but decent wont cut it against the big guys im afraid.

henke007
02-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Milos gifted 2 servicegames and a tb, Jurgen didn't do that much.

LastRocket
02-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Melzer has the serve-bot antidote :bowdown:
Well deserved, Jurgen won with a broken toe :worship:

Snowwy
02-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Milos always losses when he gets angry. Too bad that he lost this one because of his mental side of tennis when usually that is one of his strengths. Good for Melzer though, he is so talented, a much more complete player than Milos right now.

LawrenceOfTennis
02-26-2012, 09:56 PM
The shitty player won...I guess Milos played crap today.:banghead: He has no excuse anyway.

:facepalm: Stop watching tennis. You are clueless.
Melzer is a very good player when he is playing well.

Lee
02-26-2012, 09:57 PM
All plyers should watch Melzer's two matches vs Isner and Raonic in how to return big servers. Experience won him this match!

Congratulation to Melzer!

a bit disappointed with Milos who let Melzer got into his head on his serves.

motorhead
deserved!

MuzzahLovah
The guy who can play a complete game won in straights- a victory for tennis.

I'm glad my jinxes did the trick on the poll thread, but honestly, around 80% of the people there were complete idiots- Melzer handled Isners serve really well on this court, so everyone expecting and easy victory for Milos was deluding themselves. The guy has almost no net game and terribly awkward groundstokes. Meanwhile, Melzer has a good serve, a good return, groundstrokes and volleys- he's a good all around player with a lot of experience.

Melzer was the first good returner Raonic faced in two weeks that was over 5'8", and Rao had no answers.

nadejda
Jurgen, you legend :worship:

ViennaCalling

Poor hater :weirdo:

scarecrows
02-26-2012, 09:58 PM
people calling Melzer a shitty player :lol:

if he wasnt such a headcase he would have been in top 20 for a good chunk of the last decade

He played very well today, read the serves quite well and was very aggressive from the baseline with some good net approaches

deserved title :yeah:

Sonja1989
Milos :hug:

Anyway that's the evidence how underrated Melzer is, not that much poster gave real chance for him.

Congrats to both anyway, great effort during the whole tournament. :yeah:

alter ego
Great stuff from Melzer. He is one of the best returner if not the best returner against giant servers.

Li Ching Yuen
Spectacular display on return this week from Melzer. Well done.

MuzzahLovah
02-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Next few weeks will show will this tournament be one of the flukes of the year but have somehow feeling this will happen . One of those tournaments when guy comes from nowhere and after disappears again . Well played Melzer though . Just showed one more time that big server are good match up for him

Raonic getting to the finals of two tournaments without playing a top 30 player was the fluke.

romismak
Milos won more points on return than Melzer. Really am pissed that he lost in straight sets. Had more BP, was serving great, but congrats to Melzer, such easy 500 points he won´t never get, but taking down John and Milos to win indoor HC event is very impressive. For Milos - hope he will play better IW, Miami than last yer, he can get there many points, he is looking good so far.

LawrenceOfTennis

Anyway that's the evidence how underrated Melzer is, not that much poster gave real chance for him.

Dia, I remember you predicted Melzer to win this match. :worship:
I was sure the opposite will happen.

Time Violation
02-26-2012, 10:00 PM

Yea, sure :lol:

MuzzahLovah
02-26-2012, 10:01 PM
:facepalm:
You obviously didn't watch the match.

Naudio Spanlatine
02-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Good for tennis.
This.:drool:

Seriously you two havent watch the match did ya:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MaratandMilos
02-26-2012, 10:03 PM
I don't think Milos played all that poorly today. He certainly missed several shots that he usually makes in key situations, but a lot of that was the pressure that Melzer was putting on him.

Melzer played great today (and really, for the whole week). He seemed on the verge of choking it away at times, but he played the clutch points way better than he usually does. Other than Hewitt, he's the only player that's even been able to return Milos' serve this year with anything on it. That was the difference.

Pirata.
Melzer bandwagon picking up steam. Good for him though, he is clearly a talented guy, but he lets his emotions/headcasery get in the way too much.

Milos :hug: Defended all of his points in the NA indoors events. Haters :ras:

MuzzahLovah

And how overrated Milos is. People saying he was so much better than Isner right now- they both lost to Melzer but only one of them beat Federer.

Naudio Spanlatine
Raonic getting to the finals of two tournaments without playing a top 30 player was the fluke.

last year wasnt a fluke, he defeated a couple or more of top 30 players, this year is still not a fluke, its not his fault that he had an easier draw, please sit down and dont come to the milos thread again:o:o

Snowwy
02-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Yea, sure :lol:

That is what happened, but at the same time Melzer did earn it by playing well on his own serve.

MaratandMilos
Typical that he loses against the first above average player he faces.
Milos has beaten both Almagro and Tipsarevic in 2012, FYI. And plenty of other top 10-20 players last season.

Voo de Mar
If Raonic loses his serve twice to Melzer in two sets indoors, it rather indicates he's going to lose his serve 2/3 times in two sets on hardcourts to Djokovic or Murray.

Melzer showed beautifully what should've been made to neutralize opponent's biggest weapon.

MuzzahLovah
02-26-2012, 10:05 PM
I don't think Milos played all that poorly today. He certainly missed several shots that he usually makes in key situations, but a lot of that was the pressure that Melzer was putting on him.

Melzer played great today (and really, for the whole week). He seemed on the verge of choking it away at times, but he played the clutch points way better than he usually does. Other than Hewitt, he's the only player that's even been able to return Milos' serve this year with anything on it. That was the difference.

Melzer and Hewitt are the only good returners he's faced all year.

allpro
02-26-2012, 10:06 PM
impressive week for melzer taking out isner and rao en route to the title -- and on a fast indoor hc no less.
it's beginning to look like milos is jinxed in memphis :o .....on to iw and miami.

Yves.
02-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Melzer was better. The way he started mixing things up in the return was very clever at 5-5. Second set should have been Raonic's though, 4-1 and a set point at 5-4*.

MuzzahLovah
02-26-2012, 10:08 PM
If Raonic loses his serve twice to Melzer in two sets indoors, it rather indicates he's going to lose his serve 2/3 times in two sets on hardcourts to Djokovic or Murray.

Melzer showed beautifully what should've been made to neutralize opponent's biggest weapon.

Yep. Melzer did what they do all the time, change position on the return and try to get a better read if they aren't returning well initially.

Sonja1989
02-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Dia, I remember you predicted Melzer to win this match. :worship:
I was sure the opposite will happen.

Melzer has all for beating guys like Raonic or Isner. His return is almost impossible.

And how overrated Milos is. People saying he was so much better than Isner right now- they both lost to Melzer but only one of them beat Federer.

I don't think Milos would be overrated but I don't see any difference between him and Isner.

MaratandMilos
02-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Nobody's overrating Milos. You've overrated Isner.

superandy88
02-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Milos backhand is really really bad btw. Worse than Isner, probably the worst in the top-100. Malzer played ok, did nothing spectacular.

MuzzahLovah
02-26-2012, 10:11 PM
last year wasnt a fluke, he defeated a couple or more of top 30 players, this year is still not a fluke, its not his fault that he had an easier draw, please sit down and dont come to the milos thread again:o:o

This is not the Milos thread. This is the Memphis final thread, and getting to the finals of 250 and 500 with out playing a top 30 player is pretty flukey, that's all I'm saying, in response to someone calling Melzer a fluke win. So you calm down. :wavey:

MaratandMilos
02-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Melzer and Hewitt are the only good returners he's faced all year.
I don't disagree with that. There really aren't that many guys on tour that can return his serve consistently like that, though.

This indicates Djokovic and Murray probably could (not that that's surprising).

tommyg6
02-26-2012, 10:14 PM
too bad milos lost.

looking at jurgen's game makes me realize why he was once a top 10 player. he seems to be good at everything, returns, serve, backhand, forehand, movement.

MuzzahLovah
Nobody's overrating Milos. You've overrated Isner.

How have I overrated Isner? How is Milos a class above him, the best player from North America, like all you bandwagoners are saying?

Certinfy
When you beat both Isner and Raonic in the States in straight sets you've just got to take your hat off. Very well done Melzer. :)

Naudio Spanlatine
This is not the Milos thread. This is the Memphis final thread, and getting to the finals of 250 and 500 with out playing a top 30 player is pretty flukey, that's all I'm saying, in response to someone calling Melzer a fluke win. So you calm down. :wavey:

I meant to say Milos vs somebody thread, but whatevers:p:p

LawrenceOfTennis
02-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Milos backhand is really really bad btw. Worse than Isner, probably the worst in the top-100. Malzer played ok, did nothing spectacular.

It's not that bad. Obviously not top 20 backhand but certainly top 40.

MaratandMilos
02-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Beating inferior players on indoor hard consistently isn't a fluke. That's the wrong word and you seem to be using it entirely to irk others on. It's the opposite of a fluke...it's expected.

philosophicalarf
02-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Fantastic result for Melzer.

He's been injured constantly for a whole season, but this week, even with a broken toe, was back to the form that made top 10, and wins the biggest event of his career.

For all those insisting that he's a clown, "worst top10 ever", I beg to differ:

d. Federer 6-4 6-4 Monte Carlo 2011
d. Nadal 6-1 3-6 6-3 Shanghai 2010
d. Djokovic 3-6 2-6 6-2 7-6 6-4 Roland Garros 2010
d. Ferrer 6-4 6-0 7-6 Roland Garros 2010

Naudio Spanlatine
02-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Beating inferior players on indoor hard consistently isn't a fluke. That's the wrong word and you seem to be using it entirely to irk others on. It's the opposite of a fluke...it's expected.

there is a God.:worship: :cool:

Lucilla
Congrats to Jürgen!! :woohoo: :bounce: I'm so happy for him:)he's always been one of my favourite players and this is a very well deserved victory. :D

n8
Melzer back in the top 20 after going 12-1 since the start of Zagreb. Raonic exactly defends his San Jose title and Memphis final from last year.

MaratandMilos
02-26-2012, 10:18 PM
How have I overrated Isner? How is Milos a class above him, the best player from North America, like all you bandwagoners are saying?
The question, I believe, was who is playing the best right now. The answer to that, based on the 2012 season (in which Milos has won 2 tournaments and made the finals in another), is undoubtedly Raonic. Isner has been rather poor outside of one match and Fish has been out to lunch all year.

duong
02-26-2012, 10:27 PM

it's hard to say : Raonic concentrated some errors on two service games that's true, and Melzer took his opportunities very well

the very talkative commentator on tennistv said Raonic might be the best server on tour, that may well be true imo.

Anyway he has other shots than his serve, and he can also break the serve of the opponents.

I'm happy for Melzer today, who made a special performance (including on his own serve) but I really believe Raonic has a very good future and is on the right way, he's improving.

samanosuke
02-26-2012, 10:30 PM
you mean Tomic's :lol:
you will have to follow your boy in challengers very very soon

my boy ? he is just my boy because he beat nadal on that famous way, usually i don't give a shit for him . but when you comparing him with tomic who will never do something like that you may consider dodig as my boy

masterclass
02-26-2012, 10:30 PM

He's been injured constantly for a whole season, but this week, even with a broken toe, was back to the form that made top 10, and wins the biggest event of his career.

Mr. Melzer said his back has been feeling much better than it has in a while.
That, combined with his past class, and with some top efforts in a much tougher draw, with great returning against some of the hardest servers in the game, along with his own good service, was enough to win the tournament.
It was unfortunate for Mr. Raonic that he had too easy a draw against lesser players.
That didn't help him once he was in a tougher match against a player like Melzer returning to form.

Respectfully,
masterclass

MaratandMilos
02-26-2012, 10:31 PM
it's hard to say : Raonic concentrated some errors on two service games that's true,

the very talkative commentator on tennistv said Raonic might be the best server on tour, that may well be true imo.

Anyway he has other shots than his serve, and he can also break the serve of the opponents.

I'm happy for Melzer today, who made a special performance (including on his own serve) but I really believe Raonic has a very good future and is on the right way, he's improving.
I thought Milos was fine on return. He actually won more return points than Melzer did and earned a few more break points. He just didn't come through on them when he needed to, which Melzer deserves a lot of credit for.

SheepleBuster
02-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Raonic is another ancic. You heard it here first. No grand slam and probably will be retired in 3 years after not getting the results he needs.

tommyg6
02-26-2012, 10:34 PM
How come Melzer hasn't won a masters 1000 or a Slam? He has no weaknesses in his game it seems.

duong
02-26-2012, 10:34 PM
I thought Milos was fine on return. He actually won more return points than Melzer did and earned a few more break points. He just didn't come through on them when he needed to, which Melzer deserves a lot of credit for.

Melzer was also very good on baseline and also to save break points (including one dropshot :lol: )

the break Raonic made was mainly due to some great returns or passing-shots.

BroTree123
02-26-2012, 10:41 PM
I knew this would happen. Who's jinxing now? :wavey::wavey::wavey:.

Lee
02-26-2012, 10:41 PM
How come Melzer hasn't won a masters 1000 or a Slam? He has no weaknesses in his game it seems.

His weekness is between his ears. But as he matures, he gets better. He rose to #8 last year but suffered from back problem.

Voo de Mar
02-26-2012, 10:45 PM
it's hard to say : Raonic concentrated some errors on two service games that's true, and Melzer took his opportunities very well

Raonic made more easy mistakes because Melzer forced them. There are two things:

- some players are able to get back more 1st serves than the others, and Melzer is one of them (taking advantage of his doubles skills), which makes winning service games a bit harder
- on ad-court Melzer was standing 4 meters behind the baseline but moving towards to his right side - Raonic has a great penetrating 2nd serve on both boxes which forces opponents to play a weak return, he uses this serve efficiently in both cases as a diagonal one because automatically he delivers a huge forehand after the return into the opposite corner... Melzer in crucial moments played a couple semi-lobs from his backhand return and Raonic lost the pace he is adopted to

Matt01
02-26-2012, 10:56 PM
This Fluke puts him ahead of Tsonga in the race :)

Excellent. :D

OnyxRose
02-26-2012, 11:03 PM
people calling Melzer a shitty player :lol:

if he wasnt such a headcase he would have been in top 20 for a good chunk of the last decade

He played very well today, read the serves quite well and was very aggressive from the baseline with some good net approaches

deserved title :yeah:

ITA. Melzer is someone who should have done way more in his career. At least he's making the most of it late in his career. To call him shitty or untalented is just not true. If anything, he's way more talented than Milos. Congrats to him.

MuzzahLovah
02-26-2012, 11:04 PM

Yes it is a fluke, because not having to face any top ranked players is very unlikely. A fluke is just an unlikely event.

cmoss
02-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Hopefully Raonic's fanboys wake up after that.He's good but far from enough.He must outs some classy players first.

SapELee
02-26-2012, 11:25 PM
I saw a little bit of the match, thought Melzer played well. He returned well, had great groundstrokes and volleys. Congrats on the title. The old man can still play :yeah:.

Clay Death
02-26-2012, 11:29 PM
impressive stuff from melzer.

MaratandMilos
02-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Yes it is a fluke, because not having to face any top ranked players is very unlikely. A fluke is just an unlikely event.
How is getting weaker-than-normal fields at San Jose and Memphis unlikely? Isn't that just par for the course?

MaratandMilos
02-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Hopefully Raonic's fanboys wake up after that.He's good but far from enough.He must outs some classy players first.
Far from enough to do what? To get among the elite top 5-6(which he may never be able to do)? He's already playing at a top 20 level...is there something wrong with that?

Shirogane
02-27-2012, 12:02 AM

d. Ferrer 6-4 6-0 7-6 Roland Garros 2010Also beat Agassi twice, no less.

Ravel
02-27-2012, 12:04 AM
I had a feeling Melzer might give Raonic trouble, like I said, he's done quite well against other big servers, at least Karlovic and Isner.

Either way, it's a good tourny for both players.

atennisfan
02-27-2012, 12:31 AM
Raonic always loses to any decent returner.

witness also his shameful loss to Hewitt at AO

nellis_lv
02-27-2012, 01:37 AM
I likes me some Raonic but Melzer deserved this.

Had a much tougher draw and there's no way Jurgen should be anything less than top 20.

Sham Kay
02-27-2012, 01:42 AM
Milos is juiced on confidence. Nothing beats players on the greatest drug of all.

Milos in 2 (no tie-breaks)

You clown

BroTree123
02-27-2012, 01:49 AM
Good for humanity when NostalgiaTards are wrong :yeah:.

nellis_lv
02-27-2012, 01:54 AM
Raonic: "I'll learn much more from this than I would if the outcome was the other way."

much agreed.

Sham Kay
02-27-2012, 02:07 AM
Aye, good attitude following a loss to boot.

Alex999
02-27-2012, 02:42 AM
meh, Raonic is getting nowhere. I love him because he is Canadian but I just don't believe in these young guys. I mean, sure Djokovic, Nadal will get older and someone will take over but this is pathetic... none of these youngsters can challenge them.

nellis_lv
02-27-2012, 03:24 AM
Unlike when other players say it, I actually believe Raonic when he says he'll learn and get better. (judging from his improvement over the past year)

The good news is he has hardly any points to defend for the rest of the year so it's all upside from here.

meh, Raonic is getting nowhere. I love him because he is Canadian but I just don't believe in these young guys. I mean, sure Djokovic, Nadal will get older and someone will take over but this is pathetic... none of these youngsters can challenge them.

You might be right for now but Raonic is pretty much past the 'young hype' status.

He's now in the more solid group of (older) top 20-ish young guns with Kei and Dolgo.

FO99
02-27-2012, 04:28 AM

You stupid little kid... :nerner:

ChampionshipPoints
02-27-2012, 04:29 AM
ITA. Melzer is someone who should have done way more in his career. At least he's making the most of it late in his career. To call him shitty or untalented is just not true. If anything, he's way more talented than Milos. Congrats to him.

:lol: And at 30 what has he achieved? At just 21, Milos has achieved almost as much as him!

ChampionshipPoints
02-27-2012, 04:40 AM
I still believe that Milos will be in the top-10 by the end of the year. He's got an open mind, a positive attitude and is still improving.
Let's not forget that he's playing through pain, not 100%. Let's wait until he's completely injury-free...

coolfish1103
02-27-2012, 07:22 AM
If he reaches Top 10 he will just be another Roddick serve bot.

duong
02-27-2012, 09:26 AM

Melzer was also very near from defeating Murray in US Open 2008 (when Murray reached the final after beating Nadal), won first two sets 76 64, then Murray came back 76 (5) 61 63.

FedererBulgaria
02-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Yes!Congrats

LawrenceOfTennis
02-27-2012, 11:48 AM
:lol: And at 30 what has he achieved? At just 21, Milos has achieved almost as much as him!

Typical canadian arrogant post.
Pointless though :lol:

tealeaves
02-27-2012, 12:10 PM
First 500 title for Melzer :eek: about time

thrust
02-27-2012, 01:09 PM

I thought both played very well with great serving, returning and hard deep shot rallies. Jurgen probably played some of the best tennis of his career this week. Good for him! Milos still has the potential to be a great player, just needs to be more consistant and become a better volleyer.

ChampionshipPoints
02-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Typical canadian arrogant post.

He started it, not me.

Tutu
02-27-2012, 01:38 PM
This has to be one of the dumber posts I've read on this forum.

Melzer is a former top tenner, RG semifinalist, wins over Nadal, Federer, Djokovic and Ferrer, 3 doubles slams and now a 500 title... It's not even close yet.

ad-out
02-27-2012, 02:12 PM
He didn't play crap at all. :confused: In his press he even gave all the credit to Jurgen. I'm quoting him as saying "Jurgen took it to me today. He neutralized my serve better than anyone all year." He also said that instead of finding a way to win without getting free points he got impatient and rushed in some of the bigger moments.

I don't think Milos would be overrated but I don't see any difference between him and Isner.
Actually I asked Melzer if playing Isner earlier in the week had helped him get used to a big server on that surface and he said that Raonic's serves were much harder to return than Isner's. He said that they kick up differently and you have to position yourself better. He said it was probably one of if not the best serve on tour. He did say that beating Isner gave him a lot of confidence though.

I still believe that Milos will be in the top-10 by the end of the year. He's got an open mind, a positive attitude and is still improving.
Let's not forget that he's playing through pain, not 100%. Let's wait until he's completely injury-free...
I don't think he is still injured. He was wearing that little bandage on his knee because he had a cut there supposedly. He said he was in good shape physically and that wasn't part of the loss. He said he was a lot more tired last year.

By the way, Melzer talked a lot about how his back injury last year had set him back. He said that he constantly worked in the off season and when he was out of tournaments to improve it. Gave lots of credit to his trainer. I think the win meant a lot to him.

ChampionshipPoints
02-27-2012, 02:16 PM
This has to be one of the dumber posts I've read on this forum.

Melzer is a former top tenner, RG semifinalist, wins over Nadal, Federer, Djokovic and Ferrer, 3 doubles slams and now a 500 title... It's not even close yet.

We are talking about achievements in singles: Milos has got 3 titles at 21yo and Melzer has got 4 at 30yo. Simple arithmetic. If you can't do the math, YOU are the dumb one.

timafi
02-27-2012, 02:25 PM
First better returner beats that hyped punk.THANK YOU Melzer :hatoff:

this is like Roddick beating some punk who can't return his serve;then out of a sudden he is a contender according to the American media;only to have his ass handed to him first better returner and mover that he faces :tape:

ChampionshipPoints
02-27-2012, 02:26 PM
I don't think he is still injured. He was wearing that little bandage on his knee because he had a cut there supposedly. He said he was in good shape physically and that wasn't part of the loss. He said he was a lot more tired last year.

If he said that, so much the better: I'd be very happy that he's back to 100%.
But that's not what the following article says:

Source: Raonic plays through pain (http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Raonic+plays+through+pain/6183544/story.html)

Upon arrival in San Jose ... he consulted a noted orthopedic surgeon at the Stan-ford Medical Centre and had a proper MRI done. The results - no results, really, just some wear and tear on the tendon - assuaged Raonic's concerns about doing long-term damage to the knee by continuing to play.
[...]
It was hardly that easy. Raonic began taking a combined painkiller/anti-inflammatory medication, even for practices. But he still felt it.

"The painkiller made that [the pain] wasn't really constant. But I felt it if I jammed my leg, or maybe on a long point if I stopped a little bit aggressively," Raonic said.
[...]
That aching left knee is the one that bears the brunt from his serve, the one he lands on. And with all the work on the other side of his body, in the wake of last July's surgery on his right hip, he said the left side got a little weak biomechanically. The quad is putting more of a load on the knee tendon, hence the wear and tear, the tendinitis.

kindling
02-27-2012, 02:26 PM
What a proper celebration from Melzer. Big smile, proud yet humble. Djokovic, takes notes egomaniac.

ad-out
02-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Maybe it was bothering him but I sat in all his press conferences last week and he never mentioned it when asked about his health. He didn't seem to have any problem moving when he needed to. But perhaps he just didn't want to make an excuse that would take something away from Melzer's victory. He was very humble and classy about it.

Orka_n
02-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Congrats, Jurgen. Well done. :yeah:

m9m9m9m9m9
02-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Very happy for Jurgen, well-deserved title.
I don't think Jurgen returned Milos serve particularly well but he came with a gameplan and executed perfectly

Seingeist
02-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Pleasing result.

Sapeod
02-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Nice to see Jurgen winning a title again. A final is still a good result, Milos.

Stronga23
02-27-2012, 04:13 PM
:lol: At everybody calling Melzer a shitty player. I didnt know a shitty player could beat Nadal and Federer and come back from two sets down against Djokovic at RG. You guys forget Melzer was the closet one to taking a set off of Rafa on clay in 2010.

emotion
02-27-2012, 04:57 PM
:lol: At everybody calling Melzer a shitty player. I didnt know a shitty player could beat Nadal and Federer and come back from two sets down against Djokovic at RG. You guys forget Melzer was the closet one to taking a set off of Rafa on clay in 2010.

Almagro, Gulbis

Hypnotize
02-27-2012, 05:25 PM
That article was from the 21st so there's nothing to indicate he still had any pain. Will you be making an excuse every time he loses or is this just a one-off? :rolleyes:

MuzzahLovah
02-27-2012, 06:30 PM
That article was from the 21st so there's nothing to indicate he still had any pain. Will you be making an excuse every time he loses or is this just a one-off? :rolleyes:

The great and powerful Milos could never lose to Melzer at a 100%, much less in straight sets! Never mind that he served and moved fine against Rochus and his other opponents here. Do not believe your lying eyes.

ChampionshipPoints
02-27-2012, 06:33 PM
Maybe it was bothering him but I sat in all his press conferences last week and he never mentioned it when asked about his health. He didn't seem to have any problem moving when he needed to. But perhaps he just didn't want to make an excuse that would take something away from Melzer's victory. He was very humble and classy about it.

That's the kind of guy he is.
Anyway, Melzer beat him fair and square: It wasn't Milos' day. Congrats to Melzer.

ChampionshipPoints
02-27-2012, 06:52 PM

I f you read the article properly, you'd realize that it gives the impression that the healing would take longer than a week. As a matter of fact, Raonic said: "It's just a matter of strengthening it [the knee]. After that comes together, and obviously since I've decided to play on, there's no risk," he said. "I was told that I can play through the discomfort. Because I'm playing, it's going to take a bit longer, since I'm pounding away on it."

But hey, as I said, I am glad he recovered so quickly - if that is the case. I can only be happier when he is 100%.

156mphserve
02-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Have been busy since yesterday morning, missed the final, was following scores, frustrating for him to lose the 4-1 lead he had in the 2nd set.

Melzer has been playing really well lately though, he beat Isner, so I'm not too upset. Can't really comment on what happened becuse I never saw it.

He gets a 17-24 seed for IW though, so hopefully he can beat the 9-16 seed in his section and get into the round of 16, and possibly draw Fish there and who knows

Hian-GOAT
02-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Good for tennis.
Talentless serve machines like Raonic should always lose. Well done Jurgen, hope for a good season :yeah: