Comparing the backhands of Almago and Wawrinka? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Comparing the backhands of Almago and Wawrinka?

out_grinder
02-26-2012, 01:50 AM
Which one has a more extreme topspin backhand grip? Who puts more spin on their backhand, and who drives it flatter?

Whose backhand would you take against Nadal's forehand?

Almagro's backhand looks more 'wristy' to me, which might mean there is more spin on it.

Action Jackson
02-26-2012, 02:10 AM
Neither to take on Nadal as they are combined 0-14 against him.

Wawrinka does better on non clay surfaces, both are excellent shots and Wawrinka hits it flatter in general.

Alex999
02-26-2012, 02:18 AM
Wawa's BH is more beautiful to watch. Almagro is not even close. as for them and Nadal, it's a joke. I don't want to even go there

BigJohn
02-26-2012, 02:49 AM
Go go Almago go.

Lestat
02-26-2012, 03:22 AM
Gaudio´s

abraxas21
02-26-2012, 03:30 AM
both have beautiful backhands but i prefer mugro's.

as for nadal, mugro has a better shot and some of their results have been relatively close, even on clay.

gulzhan
02-26-2012, 03:49 AM
Almagro for me.

emotion
02-26-2012, 03:50 AM
Almagro, though Wawa's is flashier
Almagro is one of few players I can see beating Nadal on clay

Synesthetic
02-26-2012, 04:57 AM
Which one has a more extreme topspin backhand grip? Who puts more spin on their backhand, and who drives it flatter?

Whose backhand would you take against Nadal's forehand?

Almagro looks to have the more extreme grip (extreme eastern). Wawrinka hits with a more standard eastern grip.

Compared to Wawrinka, who has a more linear swingpath, Almagro generally hits with more topspin - you can see he moves the racquet head up and across the ball as he hits it, which is quite unusual. He also meets the ball further in front of his body, and probably has the best single-handed backhand for dealing with high balls on tour.

Having said that, as pointed out Wawrinka's BH is better off clay, and he probably has the better slice backhand. I also prefer Wawrinka's BH DTL, and his backhand in general has more power and weight of shot behind it.

Haelfix
02-26-2012, 06:23 AM
Wawrinka generates more racket head speed off his bh wing. But like Gasquet, the great downside to their technique is that they require a lot of prep time to set it up. That typically means they sacrifice court position to hit some of those huge groundies. One often sees them hitting winners from 3 or 4 feet behind the baseline.

Almagro is more like Federer, and can take it much earlier. The flipside is he hits fewer winners as its harder to control.