Memphis QF: Melzer - Isner 6:3, 7:6(6) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Memphis QF: Melzer - Isner 6:3, 7:6(6)

romismak
02-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Melzer was amazing. Great gameplan, superb passing shot, just was able to get almost everything back if it wasn´t ace for John, he was struggling in rallies. Really Melzer looking very good, and John wasn´t serving bad, was hitting bombs 135-140mph but Melzer was returning today like Nole

Li Ching Yuen
02-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Melzer is an underrated returner. Always was.

Sunset of Age
02-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Fantastic perfomance from Melzer, nothing less, congrats to him. :hatoff:

allpro
02-24-2012, 10:38 PM
impressive powers of concentration from jergens. no melzdown here.

Voo de Mar
02-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Fantastic performance by Melzer especially on return, and very cool, never easy to save a set point after squandering a match point.

Smoke944
02-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Melzer played well, but you can count this as one of those days where John basically plays like complete garbage. I mean WTF were some of those approach shots he was hitting? Like at *1-0 in the tiebreak, his approach shot didn't even make it past mid court right into Melzer's forehand. If you approach with crap like that guys will pass you every time even at the futures level.

Voo de Mar
02-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Fantastic perfomance from Melzer, nothing less, congrats to him. :hatoff:

Hehehe, I posted with the same first two words :lol:

romismak
02-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Isner numbers were unbeliavable - 77% FS in - normally with such high % of FS Isner never get broken, today he was broken 2x. Won on FS only 67% of points-guy with top 3 serve on the tour, only 67% points won on 1st serve on fast indoor HC...

rhinooooo
Amazing performance. Incredible returning from Melzer, drove Isner crazy with it. Excellent gameplan, consistently exposing Isner's movement, either drawing him in with short balls dropshots, and hitting passes, or dictating points with the forehand. Served very well too.

Isner really picked up his serving in the 2nd set. Saved 2 mps at 4-5 15-40 with a great inside out forehand winner, and then 3 aces to hold. Melzer won the match with an insane return in the tiebreak off a first serve - right on the baseline.

Great to see aggressive indoor tennis like this.

duong
That was great from Melzer :worship:

Stepanek-Melzer in semi : beautiful players from the old generations still show what it is to the youngsters.

Smoke944
02-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Isner numbers were unbeliavable - 77% FS in - normally with such high % of FS Isner never get broken, today he was broken 2x. Won on FS only 67% of points-guy with top 3 serve on the tour, only 67% points won on 1st serve on fast indoor HC...

Some fantastic returns from Melzer but more importantly he got a lot of returns in play, and John didn't back up his serve well at all.

duong
02-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Isner really picked up his serving in the 2nd set. Saved 2 mps at 4-5 15-40 with a great inside out forehand winner, and then 3 aces to hold.

all the more impressive as ISner had made quite few aces before

Great to see aggressive indoor tennis like this.

it's a pity that not better players come here, as I love this place, very beautiful to watch on TV.

duong
02-24-2012, 10:46 PM
First tie-break lost by Isner this year : note that he had just joint Djokovic yesterday at 63.7% tie-breaks won in carreer, he will go back behind Nole.

romismak
02-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Some fantastic returns from Melzer but more importantly he got a lot of returns in play, and John didn't back up his serve well at all.

Yes i wrote in my opening post that when it wasn´t ace the ball just came back, Melzer was getting back those 1st serves, but in that 1st set John really wasn´t able to back up those huge bombs, good strategy from Melzer and shame that Isner with such advantage like his serve, wasn´t able to back-up it with simple FH to the lines

Naudio Spanlatine
02-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Melzer was spectacular:hearts: :inlove:

Isner:sad: :hug: :hug:

Clay Death
02-24-2012, 10:49 PM
melzie on a roll again or what.

Voo de Mar
02-24-2012, 10:51 PM
That was great from Melzer :worship:

Stepanek-Melzer in semi : beautiful players from the old generations still show what it is to the youngsters.

Yes, it's weird they met only once playing 13 years together on the tour.

MuzzahLovah
02-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Simply wonderful tennis from Melzer- it's really hard to keep your game plan and concentration when facing serve bots. When Isner aced away those two match points, Melzer could have easily stumbled, or again when he gave up two mini-breaks, but he came back each time.

Return winners off of huge first serves- classy classy stuff.

emotion
02-24-2012, 11:00 PM

He can play anything, just gets 730 ft away from court in process, which Isner is not good at taking advantage of

cmoss
02-24-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm not surprised.The balls here bouncing half the height compare to the clay court at DC.This 2 meters man need to lower his racquet and can't make full use of his massive forehands.

Well,in such courts he's not much better than serve machines like Karlovic.But he's already No 11.The clay season still ahead,it's his land.Go John!

BroTree123
02-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Insane from Melzer, that was ridiculous :yeah:. Haven't seen him play this well in a while, and could be a threat for the title. I'm not even sure if Milos' serve can penetrate Melzer, given the way the dude is returning right now :scared:.

romismak
02-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Insane from Melzer, that was ridiculous :yeah:. Haven't seen him play this well in a while, and could be a threat for the title. I'm not even sure if Milos' serve can penetrate Melzer, given the way the dude is returning right now :scared:.

I was thinking the same during match, how the match went on i was sure that Isner is going to loose and most realistic final should be Melzer-Milos, Milos just need to analyse this match-what mistakes John did, Melzer was playing fantastic and still that TB was 8-6 - he could have lost 2nd set and maybe even match, so if Milos will be able to back-up his huge bombs, and won´t rush net like idiot, even if Melzer is going to play at this level Milos can take him down in 2-3TB´s, if Melzer level drop it will be straigh sets.

Deivid23
02-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Just too good from the Austrian nutter

Melzer has always been considered one of the best returners though. Ask Karlovic.

Action Jackson
02-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Melzer apart from Roddick, does very well against big servers. It's good to see it was Melzer today and not Melzclown.

viruzzz
02-25-2012, 12:30 AM
Unexpected to me. I didn't watch the whole match, but what I watched, Melzer was in a really good level.

Chase Visa
02-25-2012, 01:05 AM
Wow. Did Melzer wake up in 2010 or something?

tennisfan856
02-25-2012, 01:39 AM
finally something to cheer about, great tennis. I've been waiting since Hamburg '10 for some fire back.

gulzhan
02-25-2012, 01:40 AM
Didn't see this one coming :tape: Oh, well, 10K vcash down the toilet :mad:

What happened to Melzer? Did he meet a new girl or what?!

Kat_YYZ
02-25-2012, 01:41 AM
Dammit, I was hoping for an Isner/Raonic final :(
Maybe wouldn't be the prettiest tennis match, but I wanted to watch the two towers square off :lol:

tennisfan856
02-25-2012, 01:47 AM
Didn't see this one coming :tape: Oh, well, 10K vcash down the toilet :mad:

What happened to Melzer? Did he meet a new girl or what?!

he's been with benesova for a while now, since they won the mixed doubles at wimbledon. Up until now, she has picked it up while he's been shit. Really impressed with how he played today, John with such a high fs% usually would drive a player mad.

Agrajag
02-25-2012, 01:54 AM
he's been with benesova for a while now, since they won the mixed doubles at wimbledon. Up until now, she has picked it up while he's been shit. Really impressed with how he played today, John with such a high fs% usually would drive a player mad.

He sure loves the WTA.

Great match for him today with huge returns, and taking advantage of Isners subpar movement. Isner proves yet again that he is most comfortable on medium-slow surfaces.

I think Raonic will prove a tougher cookie if they both make it.

masterclass
02-25-2012, 07:46 AM
Again, it's another case of good Davis Cup play escalating one to another level.
Following Davis Cup, Mr. Melzer seems to be in good form and preparing well for Roland Garros this year.
But he needs a good draw there. He doesn't want to have to face Monfils or Nadal again.
He'd much prefer facing Mr. Djokovic and have a chance to extend his undefeated H2H record against Novak on clay and at Roland Garros.;)

Respectfully,
masterclass

Yves.
02-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Ver unexpected, but Melzer seems to be getting back in form. I think his qualification for Zagreb and Davis Cup got back his motivation and confidence.

Hellraiser
02-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Prof. Melzer

LawrenceOfTennis
02-25-2012, 10:41 AM
So Isner gifted the title to raonic.

RIboy
02-25-2012, 11:21 AM
too many flat serves from Big John especially against Melzer who stands 30 meters behind baseline

Li Ching Yuen
02-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Just too good from the Austrian nutter

Melzer has always been considered one of the best returners though. Ask Karlovic.

Guys like Melzer and Youzhny have always been great returners, they don't get the credit they deserve most of the time, it's always about the big four.

Same could be said about Davy and Ferrer, but since they're a bit more high profile it's not as bad.

FO99
02-27-2012, 04:47 AM
So Isner gifted the title to raonic.

What did you say? Can't hear you! Please explain it to me, wannabe-expert! :smash:

cmoss
03-18-2012, 08:55 AM
This match Isner also served at >>70%.But Melzer disabled most of his serves.

How unbelievable Melzer played this match...