Nadal: Djokovic arrived on the tour the wrong way, with a desire for the limelight. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal: Djokovic arrived on the tour the wrong way, with a desire for the limelight.

Ash86
02-24-2012, 05:33 PM
So Rafa gave a 3 hour live interview on Mallorcan TV last night in which many aspects of his career appear to have been discussed. They had stars like Casillas, Gasol, Contador, Rudy Fernandez etc. call up and talk about Rafa and also had journalists and young tennis players asking him questions. Unsurprisingly Djokovic came up a lot and I thought Rafa made some rather interesting comments reported by a few papers today.

Disclaimer: I don't speak Catalan/Mallorquin so don't know how what he actually said & the credit of the translation is to a user on another forum.

The tennis player of Manacor took part in an interview of almost three hours at the Manacor Theatre where he criticized the way Djokovic burst onto the tour but added that the Serbian "has been able to improve"

The Mallorcan tennis player Rafa Nadal attended yesterday a special edition of the show Golèmica broadcast by TV IB3 from the Manacor Theatre and stated on camera that "Djokovic arrived on the tour the wrong way, with a desire for the limelight." The Balearic player clarified that the Serbian "has been able to improve" and that "it’s now and not before that this limelight belongs to him. He knows that he was wrong at the time," explained Nadal, who also reminded that the Balkan player "has a good heart."

Rafa spent almost three hours sitting on the podium and reviewing many aspects of the current sports situation. He spoke with Rudy Fernández, Pau Gasol, Alberto Contador and Jorge Lorenzo, and shared the podium with the RCD Mallorca player Víctor Casadesús and with the journalist Tomeu Terrace, who has been following the Manacori player from the beginning of his tennis career.

Nadal called for more recognition of all the athletes attending the Olympic Games and criticized the fact they do not get the reward they deserve and that "not even the gold medal is real gold." Also he confessed to being superstitious in a way: "I follow some stupid rituals before matches. Surely it’s useless but I do it."

The world number two of the tennis ranking exchanged a few words with Alberto Contador: "Contador has my full support" reminded Nadal who recommended to the winner of the Tour [de France] to "train, come back and win" in order to silence the critics.

Finally he spoke of the thrashing that RCD Mallorca gave to Villarreal and of its meaning: "I am not in favour of revenge or resentment, so I only prefer the importance of a victory and of three points," hoping that the island team retains its league status.

http://www.balearesport.es/deportes/28960/tenis/rafa-nadal/rafa-nadal-djokovic-llego-al-circuito-de-forma-equivocada

The statement about having a good heart is pretty nice and it was clear at the time that Nadal didn't think too much of the impressions etc. - in fact a lot of the tour didn't seem to like it. Another article quote the Djokovic statement slightly differently: "Novak came on to the tour always wanting to be the protagonist and he made a mistake. Now he is the protagonist (for the right reason) for his triumphs." That's Novak's personality I guess but there's no doubting Rafa respects his achievements now. It's also interesting that he says "he knows he was wrong at the time" as if it's something they've discussed.

More on Novak in this article:

Rafa Nadal was the star of IB3's programme 'Golèmica', with the set moved on this occasion to the Teatre de Manacor, where he went over recent months and received the support of friends like Pau Gasol, Alberto Contador, Iker Casillas and Jorge Lorenzo. His most 'heartfelt' words were with the cyclist from Pinto: "thank you. Two times, three times over.. You have my total support, I've already told you in private. What you have to do is come back and win, give them all a lesson."

How many times had he gone back over the Australian final? "Very few because it left me very content. And I'm a good loser, I accept my defeats with calm and perspective and, if it is possible, in the most positive manner. I managed to make an advance in my confrontations with Djokovic, I left Australia with positive sensations both about my tennis and the mental aspect. I was closer to him in Melbourne but I don't know if I'm closer to beating him. There are eras, I prevented him from doing things in the past and he's preventing me now. I don't think about him, though, but about myself getting better," he explained. He described the AO final as: "together with the 2005 Rome final against Coria, the toughest match I've ever played. The two of us finished up in a really bad way and I was concerned because after all the fuss that was made at the US Open about the cramps I had at the presser, I was scared it would happen again."

Nadal declared "I've never believed in luck but rather in the spirit of overcoming difficulties, of fighting, and that sport depends on little details. The merit is totally Djokovic's because he has maintained a high mental, physical and tennis level for so long." He considers the only way to advance is "to play to win, assuming risks. Keep on in the same line of play, intensity and aggression. Then I can aim for the maximum."

The Davis Cup does not figure among his objectives at the moment. He is not considering, for the moment, returning to the DC team for the quarterfinal in April, contrary to what his uncle Toni said on this same programme last week. "I think Toni got ahead of himself. I have two Masters 1000 lined up to play and it's a long way away. Could I play? Yes. Could I not play? That too. I don't even know myself," he admitted. He also described all his on-court rituals as "stupid, yes, I don't think they help me but when I do them I feel I'm competing, that I'm concentrating on what I'm doing."

Rafa does not just want to compete at the London 2012 Olympics. It has been rumoured he is one of the candidates to carry the flag at the opening ceremony. "I would love to, it'd be a great honour. But it's difficult (because traditionally it goes to the athlete with most gold medals). If I'm not the one, I'll march behind the flag equally happily. I hope they're not my last Olympic Games. Tha gold medal was one of the best things that has ever happened to me. But best of all is the experience of living in the Olympic Village, sharing with all the other athletes who are there," he explained before pointing to sport, in these difficult times of crisis, as being a means, thanks to our successful results, of "facing them with more happiness, optimism and 'illusión'."

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20120224/tenis/rafa-nadal-abanderado-juegos-olimpicos-londres-2012_54259915765.html

Other interesting things: he may play mixed doubles at the Olympics if he loses first round in the singles and mens doubles. :lol: (Didn't know you could leave it that late!) I thought it was interesting he said he hopes they're not his last Olympics - the idea of being around in 2016 is not alien to him then despite most people giving him another two/three years on tour after 2012...

SheepleBuster
02-24-2012, 05:38 PM
So Rafa gave a 3 hour live interview on Mallorcan TV last night in which many aspects of his career appear to have been discussed. They had stars like Casillas, Gasol, Contador, Rudy Fernandez etc. call up and talk about Rafa and also had journalists and young tennis players asking him questions. Unsurprisingly Djokovic came up a lot and I thought Rafa made some rather interesting comments reported by a few papers today.

Disclaimer: I don't speak Catalan/Mallorquin so don't know how what he actually said & the credit of the translation is to a user on another forum.

http://www.balearesport.es/deportes/28960/tenis/rafa-nadal/rafa-nadal-djokovic-llego-al-circuito-de-forma-equivocada

The statement about having a good heart is pretty nice and it was clear at the time that Nadal didn't think too much of the impressions etc. - in fact a lot of the tour didn't seem to like it. Another article quote the Djokovic statement slightly differently: "Novak came on to the tour always wanting to be the protagonist and he made a mistake. Now he is the protagonist (for the right reason) for his triumphs." That's Novak's personality I guess but there's no doubting Rafa respects his achievements now. It's also interesting that he says "he knows he was wrong at the time" as if it's something they've discussed.

More on Novak in this article:

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20120224/tenis/rafa-nadal-abanderado-juegos-olimpicos-londres-2012_54259915765.html

Other interesting things: he may play mixed doubles at the Olympics if he loses first round in the singles and mens doubles. :lol: (Didn't know you could leave it that late!) I thought it was interesting he said he hopes they're not his last Olympics - the idea of being around in 2016 is not alien to him then despite most people giving him another two/three years on tour after 2012...

Listen Baba, this mindfuck stuff may work when Roger pulls it on Murray but Novak owns Rafa's ass. Rafa will never be the player Novak has become.

emotion
02-24-2012, 06:11 PM
God, I cannot stand him

luie
02-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Waiting for " I figured him out" . Quickly followed by a few more
Beat downs .
Clearly the talk of the tennis world is Novaks ownership of nadull.
Can he adapt his game to the new challenge?

timafi
02-24-2012, 06:31 PM
oh shut the hell up Rafa;the only limelight Novak is seeking are grand slam trophies but in the meantime he is making you blow smoke up your own ass he's beating you so damn much and looking at the way you are responding I am enjoying them more and more and how hypocritical considering you were the one who did a video with Shakira;a shoot with Bar and will do another video with Rihanna :rolleyes:

luie
02-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Nadull is so fake it's unbelieveable. Agassi's mullet is more REAL that him.

alter ego
02-24-2012, 06:41 PM
oh shut the hell up Rafa;the only limelight Novak is seeking are grand slam trophies but in the meantime he is making you blow smoke up your own ass he's beating you so damn much and looking at the way you are responding I am enjoying them more and more and how hypocritical considering you were the one who did a video with Shakira;a shoot with Bar and will do another video with Rihanna :rolleyes:

Quoted for truth.
Can't believe Nadull is still bitter because of those impersonations that happened 5 years ago.

Allez
02-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Can people read the whole article before making a judgement ? Stop taking things out of context and remember Rafa knows Nole 1000% better than anyone on TMF :lol:

SheepleBuster
02-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Can people read the whole article before making a judgement ? Stop taking things out of context and remember Rafa knows Nole 1000% better than anyone on TMF :lol:

How? Are they dating? Cause that's the only way he would know Novak better than us :devil:

Looner
02-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Nadull also said that the top 3 came from different cultures and sort of indirectly implying Djoko was a show-off. The thing is, that's Djokovic's character. And it's rich to say someone arrived seeking the limelight when Nadull became famous with his pumping of fists, legs, arse, etc. And he continues to do it which makes this whole comment all the more hilarious.

Obviously, the funniest part is that Nadull now thinks he has a personality (after what 10 years on tour?) but and can try to express a view yet Djokovic still beats him. Wonder if he'll try to play by himself and not wait for instructions from Mama Toni during matches.

scarecrows
02-24-2012, 06:52 PM
nothing wrong with what Nadal said

he just told it like it is, like Federer has been doing all these years

Ash86
02-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Wow. My mistake for thinking people on MTF may actually read some interesting thoughts/insights from a top player and comment on the content of it rather than just blindly hate.

Nadal doesn't sound bitter about Novak's success - in fact he credits it down to Novak's superiority in terms of level of tennis, consistency etc. - not luck (which is more than some Rafa fans). He's simply commenting on Novak's personality and IMO it's because he probably thinks Novak could have done more back in 07-08 by focusing on his game than on being the "joker". The comment "he knows this" seems to me to suggest it's something that has been talked about/mentioned - as much as the rival fans might not get on I don't think it's outrageous to believe that Novak & Rafa have said more than just "hello" to each other over the past year. Rafa's always admired Fed & prefers his style - he's said they're from different cultures and different people - that's not a negative thing. People are ignoring the "he's got a good heart" comment I guess - which to me is one of the biggest compliments Nadal could give Novak since he seems to have very black & white opinions about people being good/bad...

As for being beaten so many times - he's not shying away from it is he? He's said that things change - he beat Novak in important matches in the past - now Novak's beaten him many times. What's wrong about that? He also says he doesn't know if he's any closer to beating him after Australia (again different to Rafa fans) - i.e. he felt closer than in other matches but doesn't know if it'll be enough - very honest and probably something that MTF would agree with him on since the consensus here is he has no chance...

On the one hand Nadal apparently is fake & insincere yet when he says what he thinks (none of which is that controversial) he's being bitter. To me it's a great insight into the Fed/Rafa/Djoko dynamic- Rafa admires Fed and has always thought Novak underachieved - now Novak's done well & Rafa thinks he's earned the attention that before he used to get due to his impressions etc...

zcess81
02-24-2012, 07:03 PM
There is truth to what Nadal is saying. After Nole won his first slam in Australia in 2008, he admitted that his priorities were not on tennis 100%. He was immature and he has learned his lesson. You guys think you'd do any better? It's easier judging behind computer screens, but with that much success and fame, it is very easy to lose sight of your priorities. Anyway, Nole paid the price for it and he went on a walkabout until 2010. He was Nadal's/Fed's punching bag that whole time, but he's learned from his mistakes - matured as a person - and now his priorities are 100% tennis...everything else must come second, otherwise he won't stay at #1 spot for too long...but I think he knows that, and I think he'll make it.

Naudio Spanlatine
02-24-2012, 07:06 PM
so many rafa haters i swear their was nothing wrong with what rafa said, sheesh people get a life good lord:rolleyes: :haha: :haha:

Sunset of Age
02-24-2012, 07:08 PM
On the one hand Nadal apparently is fake & insincere yet when he says what he thinks (none of which is that controversial) he's being bitter.

Did you expect anything else on MTF? ;)
Haters of whatever player will always find something to hate on. They thrive on it.

Nothing wrong with what Rafa said whatsoever. He's just telling it the way it is. :yeah:

Pirata.
02-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Wow. My mistake for thinking people on MTF may actually read some interesting thoughts/insights from a top player and comment on the content of it rather than just blindly hate.

You'll get used to it.

zcess81
02-24-2012, 07:13 PM
What also has to be considered is that Rafa was groomed better for success and fame. His family is rich, he has a famous uncle and Carlos Moya in his corner (I'm sure Rafa was surrounded by famous people/football/tennis players most of his life). Nole never had such a privilege, so it is understandable that when he "made it" he lost sight of his priorities.

tennizen
02-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Nothing wrong in stating his opinion. But I do think it is incorrect to attribute Novak's relative lack of success to his desire for limelight. He was extremely successful and quite soon. Even after he won the first slam, he made it everywhere just kept losing close matches to the top 2. That probably had some sort of effect on him for a while. I think he evolved naturally in his own way with some ups and downs, having some formidable opponents and turned things around because the moment was right.

abraxas21
02-24-2012, 07:27 PM
humbalito :love:

MIMIC
02-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Meh, people can say whatever about Novak.

But in regards to the comment itself: it's a personality trait of Novak's, not something that he planned or something. Someone's occupation is neither going to suppress their original personality nor bring out a new one. Novak is probably Mr. Friendly showman everywhere he goes....just like Federer is probably an asshole everywhere he goes (lol, J/K :cool:). But it's Nadal's opinion so whatevs.

I didn't read the entire OP BTW.

Corey Feldman
02-24-2012, 07:31 PM
of course Nadal would know that, he's pissed that Nole stole his wig

They had stars like Casillas, Gasol, Contador, Rudy Fernandez etc. call up a real circle jerk of the Spanish winners, all calling each other up congratulating themselves :hearts: wonder why Iniesta never made it there

Ash86
02-24-2012, 07:56 PM
wonder why Iniesta never made it there

Perhaps because not all Spanish sports stars are best friends, even though they may know each other.:rolleyes: All of the people who were involved have a personal connection to Nadal - either friends like Casillas, Gasol etc. who he's known for years or other Balearic Islands stars like Fernandez & Llull that he knows more because of the geographical connection. Iniesta is a Barcelona player that Rafa's probably met more than a few times but isn't a close friend like Casillas. Not that odd really.

They also had his childhood friends like Tomeu Salva etc. talk just like the "sports star" friends did. The connection is friendship, not Spanish superstardom, hard to believe though that may be.

Alex999
02-24-2012, 07:57 PM

But in regards to the comment itself: it's a personality trait of Novak's, not something that he planned or something. Someone's occupation is neither going to suppress their original personality nor bring out a new one. Novak is probably Mr. Friendly showman everywhere he goes....just like Federer is probably an asshole everywhere he goes (lol, J/K :cool:). But it's Nadal's opinion so whatevs.

oh Mimic my dear gf, that's too funny.

Nadal has a right to express his opinion. nothing wrong with that. I think he has always respected Novak. sure, it's not easy when you lose 7 finals to the same player, but still...

NID
02-24-2012, 07:59 PM

true, partially.
if you look at rome 2009 final trophy ceremony, you will see that he liked impersonations plenty.
he is a better loser than fed, that is for sure. but the 'progress' of their handshake on the net went from cordial (including hugging) to nothing more than formal tap. and it's nadal who is sulking, that is for sure.
just compare uso 2010 and uso 2011 ending.
anyway, some things are right. djokovic is a show off. if he could only channel his inner paris hilton, he might get close to fed's level.

Matt01
02-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Nothing wrong with what Rafa said.

evilmindbulgaria
02-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Listen Baba, this mindfuck stuff may work when Roger pulls it on Murray but Novak owns Rafa's ass. Rafa will never be the player Novak has become.

:lol: Really? He does? What is their H2H? 18:9?

Oh, wait, that is the H2H between Rafa and Roger :devil: Congratulations on being a fan of Rafa's Bitch!

NEXT!

About the interview, nothing wrong with what Rafa said. Haters are gonna hate!

Pirata.
02-24-2012, 08:18 PM

Mike :haha:

tennis2tennis
02-24-2012, 08:20 PM
imagine those words were said by Roger

Sunset of Age
02-24-2012, 08:24 PM
imagine those words were said by Roger

He's said likewise things on quite a few occasions, and got just as much ridiculous hatred for it. ;)

It's "damned if you do, damned if you don't" for all these fellows.

BigJohn
02-24-2012, 08:34 PM
"Djokovic arrived on the tour the wrong way, with a desire for the limelight.... he has been able to improve ... and ... it’s now and not before that this limelight belongs to him. He knows that he was wrong

I've been saying for years now that Nole is an attention whore. Nadal agrees with me. That will be difficult to digest for a few of my favorite Rafatards...

Rafa will never be the player Novak has become.

True... He'd have to give back all those FO trophies.

henke007
02-24-2012, 08:35 PM
and nadull seems to be leaving the tour the same way ;)

BigJohn
02-24-2012, 08:44 PM
and nadull seems to be leaving the tour the same way ;)

Well done.

Young 8
02-24-2012, 08:59 PM
I've been saying for years now that Nole is an attention whore. Nadal agrees with me.

Wow, then must be true

BigJohn
02-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Wow, then must be true

The fact I said it makes it a senseful statement. Who could debate Nole's attention-whorism?

The fact Nadal agrees is like a cherry on top for other reasons :)

Young 8
02-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Who could debate Nole's attention-whorism?

Nobody

But I'm pretty sure Djokovic could care less of what you or Nadal think

Especially after their last 7 matches

Looner
02-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Since when was attention-seeking bad? I like Fed's personality (as I have a somewhat similar character to his) but that doesn't mean I detest Novak's. At least he stays true to his character and does not try to 'cheat' into creating a false image of himself like some other humble persons angel.

BigJohn
02-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Since when was attention-seeking bad? I like Fed's personality (as I have a somewhat similar character to his) but that doesn't mean I detest Novak's. At least he stays true to his character and does not try to 'cheat' into creating a false image of himself like some other humble persons angel.

It is bad when you arrive on the scene and feel entitled to unconditional love and admiration from the public. And when you think everybody finds you funny and charismatic. And when you behave in a disrespectful way towards the GOAT when you are a nobody.

That is why attention-whorism is an insult. That he is in fact genuine, that he is truly an attention-whore, that it is really his true personality does not make it less faulty.

In fact, it has the opposite effect.

stewietennis
02-24-2012, 09:33 PM
It doesn't matter whether Rafa sings praises to Djokovic, Federer and Murray - it will always be spun in a negative manner in this forum.

BigJohn
02-24-2012, 09:34 PM
It doesn't matter whether Rafa sings praises to Djokovic, Federer and Murray - it will always be spun in a negative manner in this forum.

In most cases, rightfully so.

MIMIC
02-24-2012, 09:37 PM
It is bad when you arrive on the scene and feel entitled to unconditional love and admiration from the public. And when you think everybody finds you funny and charismatic. And when you behave in a disrespectful way towards the GOAT when you are a nobody.

That is why attention-whorism is an insult. That he is in fact genuine, that he is truly an attention-whore, that it is really his true personality does not make it less faulty.

Tell us how you really feel. :wavey:

Naudio Spanlatine
02-24-2012, 09:38 PM
why do i hate/love you so much:haha: :o:o:o

BigJohn
02-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Tell us how you really feel. :wavey:

I think Nole is an attention whore. Nadal agrees. :)

Johnny Groove
02-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Nothing to see here, people.

Mr. Oracle
02-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Introverts and extroverts will never understand each other. Extroverts are often unfairly seen as being obnoxious or limelight whores. Second, there is a certain general element of extroversion in the Serbian psyche (I know, I am one), so in the eyes of nadal, there are some personal and cultural misunderstandings (faux pas) being committed here.

Nevertheless he's been talking a lot of smack over the last year and should STFU and be committed to being #2.

Ash86
02-24-2012, 09:43 PM

Ah yes a "false image" of himself that no one who's actually met him says is false! :) Being humble doesn't mean being poor & not spending money - it means not thinking you're better than others because of your success and staying grounded - pretty much everyone who's spent time with the guy says he's down to earth and genuinely nice - be it journos or other sports stars or random encounters. Driving a Ferrari doesn't mean he's not humble... As for his comments re: his claycourt prowess and "not being the favourite" - he's admitted he's "amongst the best" but won't say he's definitively the best - that's not his place to say - so all this "fake humblesness" shtick is really a MTF invention. Oh and the term "attention seeker" is negative - it only has negative connotations and so is by definition "bad". Nadal hasn't said he detest's Novak's personality - just that the manner of his arrival on the tour could have been handled better - perhaps less talking about beating Nadal & Fed and more actions to back it up... I'm sure Djokovic himself looks back and wonders how he lost to some of the people he did...

Back on topic, the whole interview to me is positive for Nadal's mindset. He's acknowledged how good Djokovic was last year and that all he can do is try and get better - not wait for his level to drop which was the 2011 plan! He might not improve but he can only try... Wanting to play the next Olympics would mean him being competitive at 30 - currently that's hard to foresee - more because I think he finds the tour a bit of a grind already with all the travelling. Perhaps the Djokovic issue has reignited the passion for the game after all - as suggested in another thread?

BigJohn
02-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Introverts and extroverts will never understand it each other. Extroverts are often unfairly seen as being obnoxious or limelight whores. Second, there is a certain general element of extroversion in the Serbian psyche (I know, I am one), so in the eyes of nadal, there are some personal and cultural misunderstandings (faux pas) being committed here.

Nevertheless he's been talking a lot of smack over the last year and should STFU and be committed to being #2.

Is it a cultural thing... or is it racist?

Mr. Oracle
02-24-2012, 09:49 PM

Bullshit. All he said was that he has the quality to be #1 one day- so he's proven to be a prophet whereas you've proven to be a ...

Second, ironic that you should mention Fed when bringing up the topic of respect. Few players have been as disrespectful towards their opponents as Frauderer has. For disrespect he truly deserves the GOAT status.

Mr. Oracle
02-24-2012, 09:50 PM

Do elaborate on racist please...

Hypnotize
02-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Does he actually want the Olympic medals to be made of real gold? :facepalm:

Ash86
02-24-2012, 10:01 PM

Yeah he's mentioned this so many times and I don't get it either. Think his point is that these people in obscure sports work their whole life for that one moment, don't get any compensation, struggle financially and then get a medal at the end which is fake too - like adding insult to injury. He wants the IOC to do more for the minor sports... But I doubt anyone has brought up to him the cost of making those medals real gold and also the fact that some poorer athletes may just sell/melt their medal for its monetary value - if not now then later in time when they're financially struggling. By it having no monetary value it's more likely to be kept. Fight another battle Rafa then the fakeness of the medals!

LisaKoh
02-24-2012, 10:04 PM
Wow. Is Rafa the queen of subtle put-downs or what? Nice "smack talk" there; cover up an insult with a compliment so people don't think you're bitter. Classy!

As far as I know, Djokovic has never been anything but complimentary towards Rafa and the latter should do well to remember that, especially when he's making these passive aggressive comments to the press. It makes Nadal look like a sore loser.

As for the real gold medals comment, wow. I don't even know where to start with how ignorant you'd have to be to make a comment like that.

BigJohn
02-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Bullshit. All he said was that he has the quality to be #1 one day- so he's proven to be a prophet whereas you've proven to be a ...

Second, ironic that you should mention Fed when bringing up the topic of respect. Few players have been as disrespectful towards their opponents as Frauderer has. For disrespect he truly deserves the GOAT status.

I've proven time and time again to be a senseful poster my dear.

Fed won how many sportsmanship awards? I am sure the players themselves hand those to disrespectful individuals... 7 times.

Do elaborate on racist please...

It is OK if he is an attention whore, he's Serbian. Does that sound racist to you?

Hypnotize
02-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Wow, that's a stupid comment even by your dismal standards.

As far as Novak not showing Federer enough respect, why should he? For years players like Roddick bowed down to Roger and they got beaten every time by him. The reason Novak always did well against Roger was because he never felt inferior to him and that's the kind of attitude you need to be a winner.

BigJohn
02-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Wow, that's a stupid comment even by your dismal standards.

As far as Novak not showing Federer enough respect, why should he? For years players like Roddick bowed down to Roger and they got beaten every time by him. The reason Novak always did well against Roger was because he never felt inferior to him and that's the kind of attitude you need to be a winner.

I have no problems with my standards.

And did you say always?

Johnny Groove
02-24-2012, 10:08 PM

I don't see why not. If you are giving a "gold medal", one would assume it to be a medal made of gold.

LisaKoh
02-24-2012, 10:15 PM
I don't see why not. If you are giving a "gold medal", one would assume it to be a medal made of gold.

London Medals: 400g x Price of Gold Per Gram: 56.60 USD = $22,640 per medal

35 different sports x 2 genders = 70 x 5 different events = 350 x 4 (team sports) = 31, 696,000 to be spent on Olympic medals alone

:smash:

Smiling Buddha
02-24-2012, 11:46 PM
He is not considering, for the moment, returning to the DC team for the quarterfinal in April, contrary to what his uncle Toni said on this same programme last week. "I think Toni got ahead of himself.

Somebody is getting a thrashing tonight.

Kat_YYZ
02-24-2012, 11:58 PM
This is not really surprising, based on Nadal's personality :shrug: Someone who's had that "we're no better than anyone else" thing drilled in to his head since childhood; someone who was told he should fly economy class even though he has millions in the bank and wasn't allowed to buy himself a flashy car for years even after winning multiple GS. How you are indoctrinated from early on will affect your worldview and what you consider 'normal' or 'common sense'.

ballbasher101
02-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Nadal is at it again. The only reason Nadal likes and praises Federer is because he has him in his pocket. If Federer had a good record against Nadal there is no way Nadal would praise the Swiss like he does.

Amber Spyglass
02-25-2012, 12:30 AM

This,this and this. It really is so rich coming from him looking at some of the trashy PR ventures he's made. Novak never did anything so tacky and predictable as that old celebrity chestnut he's done with Shakira and Bar. At least what Novak did was original,spontaneous and from his own head.

The statement about having a good heart is pretty nice and it was clear at the time that Nadal didn't think too much of the impressions etc. - in fact a lot of the tour didn't seem to like it. Another article quote the Djokovic statement slightly differently: "Novak came on to the tour always wanting to be the protagonist and he made a mistake. Now he is the protagonist (for the right reason) for his triumphs." That's Novak's personality I guess but there's no doubting Rafa respects his achievements now. [B]It's also interesting that he says "he knows he was wrong at the time" as if it's something they've discussed.

Nah, course they haven't, they're not close. A few years ago Novak did impressions and such and now he doesn't. Rafa presumes Novak must have "learned"...

Wow. Is Rafa the queen of subtle put-downs or what? Nice "smack talk" there; cover up an insult with a compliment so people don't think you're bitter. Classy!

As far as I know, Djokovic has never been anything but complimentary towards Rafa and the latter should do well to remember that, especially when he's making these passive aggressive comments to the press. It makes Nadal look like a sore loser.

As for the real gold medals comment, wow. I don't even know where to start with how ignorant you'd have to be to make a comment like that.

This sums up beautifully exactly what Rafa has been doing for the past 12 months when talking about Nole. Thank you!

tennizen
02-25-2012, 12:33 AM
This,this and this. It really is so rich coming from him looking at some of the trashy PR ventures he's made. Novak never did anything so tacky and predictable as that old celebrity chestnut he's done with Shakira and Bar. At least what Novak did was original,spontaneous and from his own head.

Nah, course they haven't, they're not close. A few years ago Novak did impressions and such and now he doesn't. Rafa presumes Novak must have "learned"...

This sums up beautifully exactly what Rafa has been doing for the past 12 months when talking about Nole. Thank you!

Good points.

habibko
02-25-2012, 12:36 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Time Violation
02-25-2012, 12:39 AM
This is not really surprising, based on Nadal's personality :shrug: Someone who's had that "we're no better than anyone else" thing drilled in to his head since childhood; someone who was told he should fly economy class even though he has millions in the bank and wasn't allowed to buy himself a flashy car for years even after winning multiple GS. How you are indoctrinated from early on will affect your worldview and what you consider 'normal' or 'common sense'.

At least he can wear half a mil wrist watch, not sure how that matches flying the economy though :p

stewietennis
02-25-2012, 01:48 AM

There's a difference though. The earliest of those ventures you mentioned happened in 2010 when Rafa was already a multiple (6) slam winner and ascended to No 1. He wasn't really doing it for fame, he was already famous. If he had done it straight after winning the 2005 French Open, when Rafa was still a relative nobody, then your criticism of him being a hypocrite would be more apt.

Kiedis
02-25-2012, 02:01 AM

$$$

At least he can wear half a mil wrist watch, not sure how that matches flying the economy though :p

Sponsorship -> + $$$$

Corey Feldman
02-25-2012, 02:05 AM
oh shut the hell up Rafa;the only limelight Novak is seeking are grand slam trophies but in the meantime he is making you blow smoke up your own ass he's beating you so damn much and looking at the way you are responding I am enjoying them more and more and how hypocritical considering you were the one who did a video with Shakira;a shoot with Bar and will do another video with Rihanna :rolleyes:know its a great rant post when you have no time for commas or stops :D

Corey Feldman
02-25-2012, 02:07 AM
is it asking to much for Nadal to want his gold medal to be gold?

gotta get some good money for when he sells it someday ffs

Kiedis
02-25-2012, 02:11 AM
is it asking to much for Nadal to want his gold medal to be gold?

gotta get some good money for when he sells it someday ffs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor

Smiling Buddha
02-25-2012, 02:31 AM
Nadal called for more recognition of all the athletes attending the Olympic Games and criticized the fact they do not get the reward they deserve and that "not even the gold medal is real gold."

There is a saying that roughly translates in English to "It is like giving a garland of flowers to a monkey."

Mountaindewslave
02-25-2012, 03:08 AM

you idiot didn't even read the article clearly. Nadal said that when Djokovic first came onto tour and was not having great results he expected the world to treat him like a champion and the crowds to always be behind him, but that it wasn't something he deserved at the time. that's fact. now he does deserve it!

what Nadal has said here is all true. and I think sheepbustler upwards said that Nadal will 'never' become the player that Djokovic is now? tell me this fool, do you really think that when their careers end, Djokovic will be remembered anywhere near the amount Nadal is? Nadal has made one of the biggest impacts in the sport ever.

he's just being straight up in this interview and there is little to talk about because he didn't say anything untrue or rude. Djokovic has matured mentally and physically over the years that much is true.

Naudio Spanlatine
02-25-2012, 03:12 AM
you idiot didn't even read the article clearly. Nadal said that when Djokovic first came onto tour and was not having great results he expected the world to treat him like a champion and the crowds to always be behind him, but that it wasn't something he deserved at the time. that's fact. now he does deserve it!

what Nadal has said here is all true. and I think sheepbustler upwards said that Nadal will 'never' become the player that Djokovic is now? tell me this fool, do you really think that when their careers end, Djokovic will be remembered anywhere near the amount Nadal is? Nadal has made one of the biggest impacts in the sport ever.

he's just being straight up in this interview and there is little to talk about because he didn't say anything untrue or rude. Djokovic has matured mentally and physically over the years that much is true.
im so glad you came to this thread:worship: :worship: :worship:

Mountaindewslave
02-25-2012, 03:13 AM

I think Big John makes some fine points here, and this forum has become some crazy illogical Djokovic worshiping place. there is no debate that Novak wanted attention and adoration immediately when he was on tour, even prior to his big accomplishments. it has a bit of a correlation to the famous examples of when big crowds like at the US OPEN booed him. you don't deserve adoration if you haven't earned it, and he didn't understand that in the past.

he probably still doesn't understand that being an attention whore without earning it is foolish, but at least now he has earned the eyes of the tennis world

Mountaindewslave
02-25-2012, 03:15 AM
im so glad you came to this thread:worship: :worship: :worship:

:cool: can't stand by when Nadal is being attacked for stating the obvious about DJokovic! :)

Clay Death
02-25-2012, 03:15 AM

nadal is also not terribly bright. he surely didnt mean anything in a negative light. that is usually not in his nature.

he is probably just talking just to be talking. and also perhaps the reporters asked him pressing questions.

attacking the hell out of these top players is not really cool. it is a mark of some sort of insecurity.

Mountaindewslave
02-25-2012, 03:18 AM
nadal is also not terribly bright. he surely didnt mean anything in a negative light. that is usually not in his nature.

he is probably just talking just to be talking. and also perhaps the reporters asked him pressing questions.

nothing he said in the interviews lacked "intelligence" you belligerent fan. How does Nadal not being bright have anything to do with him criticizing Novak Djokovic's antics from the past? he criticized the past and complimented him on the present. nothing to do with intelligence, just everything to do with reality

Naudio Spanlatine
02-25-2012, 03:18 AM
:cool: can't stand by when Nadal is being attacked for stating the obvious about DJokovic! :)

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Arakasi
02-25-2012, 04:38 AM
So much hypocrisy on this thread :o

Djokovic arrived on the tour the wrong way, with a desire for the limelight." The Balearic player clarified that the Serbian "has been able to improve" and that "it’s now and not before that this limelight belongs to him. He knows that he was wrong at the time.

Nadal is completely right. There's nothing insulting about this comment. I actually thinks this one sentence sums up a lot about Djokovic's career. Also 'limelight' doesn't mean being famous or in photoshoots :rolleyes:, it means winning titles and being #1.

Djokovic's behaviour after AO '08 was very telling I think. He clearly thought all the hard work had been done and it was only a matter of time before he got #1. I think in his own head he probably thought he was better than Federer (and Nadal) and was about to take over his mantle: "the King is dead, long live the King".

His attitude and behaviour were completely out of sync with his accomplishments at the time but he's done a lot of growing up since then. Seeing the disrespectful way his parents have behaved in the past I suspect they could be held responsible for Novak's attitude when he was younger.

Now he's earned the right to act like he's the best because he is the best. It was an arduous journey from 2008-2010 for his fans and for a time I think he went too far the other way and lost a lot of belief in himself but he's finally managed to right the ship and the rest is history.

Alex999
02-25-2012, 04:39 AM
I think Big John makes some fine points here, and this forum has become some crazy illogical Djokovic worshiping place. there is no debate that Novak wanted attention and adoration immediately when he was on tour, even prior to his big accomplishments. it has a bit of a correlation to the famous examples of when big crowds like at the US OPEN booed him. you don't deserve adoration if you haven't earned it, and he didn't understand that in the past.

he probably still doesn't understand that being an attention whore without earning it is foolish, but at least now he has earned the eyes of the tennis world
I do agree with you. Nole, I think is coming from a very supportive family. I simply think that Novak needed some time to mature as a person and as a player. It's all good tho. I mean so many guys tend to be so judgmental on this board. I think right now what a fool I was when I was 20 yo. The most important thing is that he did mature and become a big champ. I really find Nole to be a very intelligent person. He has learnt, he has grown... his behavior on the court is awesome nowadays. when it comes to adoration, well yeah we all want to be loved... but, thanks god, he became more humble and he is getting that admiration today... he's simply earned it.

Mystique
02-25-2012, 04:44 AM

The difference is that Federer said it when it was actually happening. Since Novak "has been able to improve";), Federer has not trash talked him, and has shown utmost respect to him (Yeah bring up that USO presser). Fed doesnt trash talk opponents just when they start beating him consistently. He called Novak a drama queen way back in 2006 because of his on court acting. He never called him a "show" though, Djokovic has always had more personality than both him and Rafa - whether it is likeable to all or not is another story. What is the point in whining about that?

I do agree that Djokovic was very attention seeking, still is, but there is a spontaneity in what he does. At least there seems to be. But just because he is different from Nadal doesnt mean its wrong what he did. I do feel those impressions especially of Nadal back in 2007 never rubbed off well on the Spaniard. Remember how touchy he was in that Wimbledon match in 07 vs Soda when Soda imitated his buttpicking?

Alex999
02-25-2012, 04:56 AM
The difference is that Federer said it when it was actually happening. Since Novak "has been able to improve";), Federer has not trash talked him, and has shown utmost respect to him (Yeah bring up that USO presser). Fed doesnt trash talk opponents just when they start beating him. He called Novak a drama queen way back in 2006 because of his on court acting. He never called him a "show" though, Djokovic has always had more personality than both him and Rafa - whether it is likeable to all or not is another story. What is the point in whining about that?
as much as I don't like Fed's big mouth sometimes, he was right at the time. sure, today Fed is more sensitive, I'm sure he does respect Djokovic and vice versa. Again, Nole had to earn it etc. On the other hand, do you guys remamber Rog's tantrums when he was young? :)

Mystique
02-25-2012, 05:00 AM
as much as I don't like Fed's big mouth sometimes, he was right at the time. sure, today Fed is more sensitive, I'm sure he does respect Djokovic and vice versa. Again, Nole had to earn it etc. On the other hand, do you guys remamber Rog's tantrums when he was young? :)

He used to throw racquets left and right, yell on court, berate himself. Thats pretty much it mate. Nothing to do with desire for limelight at all. He was just an ambitious young player who was also a classic headcase.

LisaKoh
02-25-2012, 05:08 AM
The bottom line is Nadal's PR is too stupid to tell him that criticizing his opponent -- especially one who has put him in the record books as losing the highest number of consecutive slam finals in the Open era -- makes Rafa rather than Nole look bad. Number one players don't need to talk trash, they let their racquets do the talking. Nadal should concentrate on winning instead of whining.

I'm also highly amused by the cracks that are starting to show in this perfect PR facade that Nadal's been putting on, especially in his interviews. Lynn Barber was really courageous for bringing up the artifice that surrounds the Nadal hype machine and how the man is nothing like the fabricated image his handlers have concocted. Bravo to her and his true nature is really starting to "shine through".

Alex999
02-25-2012, 06:06 AM
He used to throw racquets left and right, yell on court, berate himself. Thats pretty much it mate. Nothing to do with desire for limelight at all. He was just an ambitious young player who was also a classic headcase.
exactly... I still admire to Rog and Nole for simply being able to overcome their issues and become big champions. I think we can really learn from them. it's like, CONTROL YOURSELF, lol. Nadal was better at controlling himself... Murray is another story. he has too many haters here, don't understand why. he is a passionate player. let's simply appreciate these great players...:)

Just like heaven
02-25-2012, 07:13 AM
Regarding the gold medal comment, this is from an older interview

Q. Rafa, last week in Barcelona you where talking about your interest on playing the Davis every other year. I don´t know if this is correct can you confirm it? Also, I read a newspaper where you had a proposal where you said that it would be correct if the Olympic Committee would give money to the athletes. Is this correct?

A. First of all, I didn’t say this thing about playing every other year. I only said that we have to look for solutions, because when everything is perfect, don’t do anything but when the competition is not working, well make changes. I believe that all of the changes are complicated but, or we make changes or the competition is going to lose status. The best players in the world are not playing. The Davis cup has a lot of history, that is an important value, but apart from that, all competitions really gain value when all of the good players are playing. That is not happening in the Davis Cup recently. So there has to be some changes, I don´t know how, I am not the right one that should say that, I have already shown my options on top of the table, which I am not going to expose in here. But it is something that must be changed. I think it´s not logic.
About the Olympics, It´s quite unfair that with all the money that the Olympic committee raises thanks to these games… - thankfully not ourselves, nor basketball players, nor football players, which are much more professional sports globally speaking, obviously the money for us is quite relative, when I am talking about that I am not referring to ourselves because we are very well paid. Luckily we have our lives solved. But all of these athletes who are the real soul of the Olympic games, who work really hard- Obviously there are World Championships, European-Championships every year in all of the Olympic sports- these people are really getting prepared and live each day towards the Olympics, which is only once every 4 years. To have all that preparation and viewing all the effort they put in the sport… -thanks to that the sport is big and the Olympics are where they are. I think these people deserve much more than a gold medal, which is not even made out of gold and a scholarship which is not great. As I say I am not talking about well paid sports like ours, I am talking about other sports in which they work really hard possibly more than ourselves, they are much more sacrificed than us and their only motivation-I believe all sports are pretty similar either you earn money or no- is the personal satisfaction of having met your goals. It´s true that is quite different when you finish your professional career and you have your life solved than when you finish it and you have to start all over again. So I believe this should change, that is what I said the other day.

LisaKoh
02-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Nadal needs to do some research first before he opines on the topic. First of all, the Olympic Committee doesn't really raise as much money as he thinks it does. With his suggestion of using precious metals, the cost would amount to roughly 40 million USD more which would leave the Committee with less to spend on more important things; doping controls, officiating, athlete development, accommodations, etc.

Second, as anybody with half a brain knows, the real haul from an Olympic medal isn't the medal itself but the endorsements that come from it. Here's a study on how much Olympic gold is worth: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/how-much-is-a-british-gold-medal-worth-2m-6283727.html

The fact of the matter is, there are many different factors that contribute to less prestige for medal-winning athletes in the Games. The guy who gets gold in tennis will certainly get much more than the girl who gets a gold for rhythmic gymnastics. The gold winning athlete from a not-so-wealthy country will not get as much support from his federation versus someone who comes from a first world nation. It's not the Olympic Committee's job to redress these socioeconomic inequalities, their job is to find out who the best athlete in any given category is. If he's so concerned about it, he should develop a foundation that funds synchronized swimming or other sports he feels are not remunerative enough. If he REALLY feels so terrible about it, he should do something rather than making an inaccurate assessment of what the duties of the Olympic Committee are.

Ash86
02-25-2012, 07:41 AM
The gold medals haven't been pure gold since 1912 so Nadal's right - he didn't say there isn't a bit of gold in it just that it's not gold . It's silver with a bit of gold added. From the US Olympics website: "Olympic medals must be at least 60 millimeters in diameter and at least three millimeters thick. Gold and silver medals must be made of 92.5 percent pure silver; the gold medal must be gilded with at least six grams of gold." The cost of a real gold medal would be very very high though especially given the current price of gold!

Love how the negative is taken from the comment rather than his overall sentiment that most athletes at Olympic Games are inadequately compensated for something which they have sacrificed all their life - in the context of how much money the IOC gets from TV rights etc.

Going back to the personality thing - there is no doubt that in 2006 and 2007 Novak's behaviour was stupid considering what he'd achieved and what Roger had - winning the Rogers Cup didn't quite equate to the 3 slam years of Roger in BOTH 06 and 07 yet his pressers and actions were as if he was on the cusp of dethroning the guy. But he was young, and as has been said, has now grown up and let's his game do the talking more. It's also a good point that fame and attention wasn't that odd to Nadal - he'd been touted as the big star/hope since he was fairly young - won junior Davis Cup, Petit AS etc. His uncle played for Barcelona and the Spanish national football team in 2 World Cups - that's up there in terms of fame and access to the stars - there's a photo of a young Nadal with Ronaldo (the Brazilian one!) as if it wasn't not that odd for him to meet these greats... That exposure probably prepared him better for the attention he got in 2004/2005 and he was more calm about it....

tennis2tennis
02-25-2012, 07:42 AM
there is no standard way to approach your media persona the world is made up of introverts and extroverts...tennis would be unbearable if everyone had clone like personalities

Mr. Oracle
02-25-2012, 07:48 AM

You sound like a nice person. Perhaps naive but nice.

"today Fed is more sensitive,"

What do you base this on? Have you seen him swim with dolphins in Miami? Or, are you projecting on him your own good-natured perspective? Big mistake.

"I'm sure he does respect Djokovic and vice versa."

He clearly disrespected him after losing at the USO last year. Make no mistake, after hundreds of pressers, Fed knows how to censor himself if he wants to. It was premeditated, calculated, and ruthless disrespect. You have a curious view of respect. You are only encouraging him to continue this heel sniping behaviour.

LisaKoh
02-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Love how the negative is taken from the comment rather than his overall sentiment that most athletes at Olympic Games are inadequately compensated for something which they have sacrificed all their life - in the context of how much money the IOC gets from TV rights etc.

But it's not the IOC's job to compensate these athletes; the medals themselves are what can translate to remuneration with sponsorship deals. The lack of equity he is talking about is a reflection of much larger socioeconomic factors that the IOC is not meant to redress. It's very clear from reading Nadal's opinion that most of it is woefully uninformed.

Just like heaven
02-25-2012, 07:51 AM
I couldn't care less what he says about Djokovic.

I hope they're not my last Olympic Games.

This is actually the most important part of the interview.

zcess81
02-25-2012, 07:53 AM
You sound like a nice person. Perhaps naive but nice.

"today Fed is more sensitive,"

What do you base this on? Have you seen him swim with dolphins in Miami? Or, are you projecting on him your own good-natured perspective? Big mistake.

"I'm sure he does respect Djokovic and vice versa."

He clearly disrespected him after losing at the USO last year. Make no mistake, after hundreds of pressers, Fed knows how to censor himself if he wants to. It was premeditated, calculated, and ruthless disrespect. You have a curious view of respect. You are only encouraging him to continue this heel sniping behaviour.

I don't think so. Those pressers are done right after the match and Fed didn't have time to cool down. He was still angry with HIMSELF probably and took it out on his opponent in a moment of anger and disappointment. He is human, after all. Don't you remember what Nole said about Roddick after he beat him at USO few years back? Moment of anger. Would he have said it if he had some time to cool off and think straight? Probably not.

The fact is, Fed DOES respect Nole and vice versa. He probably doesn't like him as a person off the court, and they are not friends, but I'm sure he gives Nole the respect he deserves. Fed would not have 16 slams / be former world #1 if he hadn't respected his opponents. That's the first thing they teach you...always respect your opponent. Doesn't matter if he is #1 or #101.

Respect is not necessarily what he says before or after the match, respect is seen during the game. Every time Fed hesitates to go to Nole's backhand, that's respect. Every time Fed makes double fault, that's respect. Every time Fed makes an unforced error and an EASY forehand/backhand goes to the net, that's respect. He respects his opponent's game - his movement around the court - way too much and is forced to go for too much, and makes a mistake. That to me shows more respect than saying in front of the TV cameras "I respect him" and then proceeds to beat his opponent 6:0-6:0-6:1.

Ash86
02-25-2012, 08:04 AM
I couldn't care less what he says about Djokovic.

I hope they're not my last Olympic Games.

This is actually the most important part of the interview.

Agreed. I'm more shocked by this than by Roger saying the other day that currently he plans to be at Rio in 2016! At RG last year after all those "playing for 100 years" comments I was doubtful whether he even had more than one or two seasons left in him but he seems to have found a reinvigorated passion post-Aus Open. It's telling that in his runner-up speech at the Aus Open he said he hoped to be back for many more years. I really thought it would be lack of desire that would make Nadal retire - the desire is now back due to the Djokovic challenge - it may be physical issues after all that are more decisive.

Then again we will see how competitive he remains by the end of 2013. If he hasn't found a solution vs Novak and is unable to win the big tournaments I think he wouldn't stick around too long. Not sure he'd even take a 2 year slamless drought like Roger's been through. Have to admire Roger's love for the game in that way - he "resets" very easily.

Mr. Oracle
02-25-2012, 08:10 AM
"Fed would not have 16 slams / be former world #1 if he hadn't respected his opponents. That's the first thing they teach you...always respect your opponent. Doesn't matter if he is #1 or #101."

This is not a logical conclusion. All it takes to be #1 is winning a lot of games and tournaments. If the devil took up tennis, he could become #1 by becoming a dedicated winner.

"Respect is not necessarily what he says before or after the match, respect is seen during the game. Every time Fed hesitates to go to Nole's backhand, that's respect. Every time Fed makes double fault, that's respect. Every time Fed makes an unforced error, and an EASY forehand/backhand goes to the net, that's respect. He respects his opponents game, his movement around the court way too much and is forced to go for too much and makes a mistake."

You are confusing FEAR with respect. Roger FEARS Novak's game. I fear snakes but I have no respect for them. Respect is demonstrated by what one says.

................ .. ...

Just like heaven
02-25-2012, 08:12 AM
Agreed. I'm more shocked by this than by Roger saying the other day that currently he plans to be at Rio in 2014!

Ash86
02-25-2012, 08:28 AM

Yeah spotted that - have edited it! Thanks.

fmolinari2005
02-25-2012, 08:38 AM
So what Djokovic is an attention seeking guy?!

zcess81
02-25-2012, 08:44 AM
This is not a logical conclusion. All it takes to be #1 is winning a lot of games and tournaments. If the devil took up tennis, he could become #1 by becoming a dedicated winner.

You are confusing FEAR with respect. Roger FEARS Novak's game. I fear snakes but I have no respect for them. Respect is demonstrated by what one says.

................ .. ...

Which you never would if you don't respect your opponents...are you saying that Roger is the devil?

No, I'm not confusing fear with respect. If Roger was simply afraid of Nole/his game, he'd lose to him every time. There is a difference. Fear blinds you and prevents you from moving forward...respect gives you insight to prepare for what's expected and beat your opponent.

To use your snake analogy, you wouldn't go to the woods where you know snake live unless you absolutely had to...and if you had to, you better show respect (for snakes/woods) by learning about them / taking proper precautions, or you die. If you were simply afraid of snakes, you'd go into the woods blindly and die...if you show respect, you come out alive on the other side.

And I 100% disagree with "respect is demonstrated by what one says". It's easy to say things. Actions speak louder than words. You are what you do, not what you say.

rutinos harcos
02-25-2012, 08:48 AM

Loved that Jerk Fed-Nole comparison.Good one.

DOOOBAAAR.

GSMnadal
02-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Nadal: I hope they're not my last Olympic Games.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nSVzwq-z7RY/TC5GfqDy-bI/AAAAAAAABMU/fJ-KrVief-0/s400/8bf78d2e242125baf71060f3ace05ecf-getty-98954125jm006_the_champions.jpg

Ash86
02-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Are you hoping for him to retire GSMNadal?! Or just worried that he'll stick around for the next 4 years even if his ranking and results plummet? Given the contenders at the moment don't look to be dominant champions - Raonic, Tomic etc. - there's a chance for Djoko/Murray/Rafa to stay at the top for at least 2-3 more seasons. 2016 does seem pretty inplausible though. Compare 2008 Nadal to 2012 Nadal and then imagine 2016 Nadal on a hardcourt tournament in Rio. :scared:

I don't care if he's not there in 2016 if that motivation means he'll try and make the most of the next two seasons. 2012 and 2013 are most likely where he can add to his legacy & he needs to go all out to try and do that. Positive for now - until he draws Raonic at Indian Wells or something....

GSMnadal
02-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Are you hoping for him to retire GSMNadal?! Or just worried that he'll stick around for the next 4 years even if his ranking and results plummet? Given the contenders at the moment don't look to be dominant champions - Raonic, Tomic etc. - there's a chance for Djoko/Murray/Rafa to stay at the top for at least 2-3 more seasons. 2016 does seem pretty inplausible though. Compare 2008 Nadal to 2012 Nadal and then imagine 2016 Nadal on a hardcourt tournament in Rio. :scared:

I don't care if he's not there in 2016 if that motivation means he'll try and make the most of the next two seasons. 2012 and 2013 are most likely where he can add to his legacy & he needs to go all out to try and do that. Positive for now - until he draws Raonic at Indian Wells or something....

If he drops out of the top 10, I hope he calls it a day. But as long as he can play even at 80% of his normal level, I want him to go on as long as possible. The day he quits, wow, there will be a big gap for me tennis-wise.

People predicting he will fall really fast when he gets older, will be in for a big surprise. This Nadal is not just a defensive and physical player anymore. His aggressive game is right up there, probably top 3-5 on the tour. If he can keep playing at this level, he'll grab a couple more slams. If he can keep it up for 2-3 more years, Fed's 16 is in danger.

He needs to focus on slams, those are all that matter (and the olympics of course), the rest are not important and should only serve as opportunities to finetune his game for the slams.

If he can win the WTF just once, it would be great and it would complete his resumé, but it's not worth risking his AO chances.

zcess81
02-25-2012, 10:13 AM
If he drops out of the top 10, I hope he calls it a day. But as long as he can play even at 80% of his normal level, I want him to go on as long as possible. The day he quits, wow, there will be a big gap for me tennis-wise.

People predicting he will fall really fast when he gets older, will be in for a big surprise. This Nadal is not just a defensive and physical player anymore. His aggressive game is right up there, probably top 3-5 on the tour. If he can keep playing at this level, he'll grab a couple more slams. If he can keep it up for 2-3 more years, Fed's 16 is in danger.

He needs to focus on slams, those are all that matter (and the olympics of course), the rest are not important and should only serve as opportunities to finetune his game for the slams.

If he can win the WTF just once, it would be great and it would complete his resumé, but it's not worth risking his AO chances.

I think Nadal's focus, as is Fed's and more recently Nole's, has been on slams for long while now. However, it is EXTREMELY hard to just "switch it on" for slams. Winning a slam, even for these guys, without winning a few masters prior to that is EXTREMELY hard. So, if Nadal wants slams, or non-clay slams to be more specific, he will have to win one or more of the hard court tournaments coming up...and more importantly he has to beat Nole on hard courts. That will give him a major confidence boost for ANY surface.

Vida
02-25-2012, 10:13 AM
So what Djokovic is an attention seeking guy?!

I dont see it.

zcess81
02-25-2012, 10:18 AM
I dont see it.

Let's face it, I'm a big fan, but he is attention seeking. He has big desire to be loved. When crowd was against him at the French, he couldn't handle it, and it was one of the reasons why he lost to Fed in 2011 FO. He's trying to be more Federer-like on and off court lately, but he can't hide the fact that he loves being center of attention. I don't see anything wrong with it though. If every player was like Federer, tennis would be boring as hell.

Vida
02-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Let's face it, I'm a big fan, but he is attention seeking. He's trying to be more Federer-like on and off court lately, but he can't hide the fact that he loves being center of attention. I don't see anything wrong with it though. If every player was like Federer, tennis would be boring as hell.

maybe youre rights.

I might be reluctant to accept it cause I have trouble separating the term attention seeking from the term whore or a slut.

zcess81
02-25-2012, 10:26 AM
maybe youre rights.

I might be reluctant to accept it cause I have trouble separating the term attention seeking from the term whore or a slut.

:rolls::rolls:

Hehe, no, by attention seeking I mean he loves to be entertainer. Entertainers (actors, comedians, rock stars etc) by nature are attention seekers. They feel it is up to them that everyone has a great time. Nole takes and gives back. He takes attention/support/love from the fans/spectators and gives it back in form of entertainment (tennis quality or laughs).

Vida
02-25-2012, 10:47 AM
:rolls::rolls:

Hehe, no, by attention seeking I mean he loves to be entertainer. Entertainers (actors, comedians, rock stars etc) by nature are attention seekers. They feel it is up to them that everyone has a great time. Nole takes and gives back. He takes attention/support/love from the fans/spectators and gives it back in form of entertainment (tennis quality or laughs).

yes that is true. a charismatic person.

Ash86
02-25-2012, 10:50 AM
yes that is true. a charismatic person.

Entertaining does not equal charismatic. Charisma is an undefinable quality - the sort of person who makes an impression in a room that he enters just by his presence. Fed's probably the most charismatic of the top 3. Djokovic is funnier and entertains and engages the crowd more though. All three bring different things to the table....

Vida
02-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Entertaining does not equal charismatic. Charisma is an undefinable quality - the sort of person who makes an impression in a room that he enters just by his presence. Fed's probably the most charismatic of the top 3. Djokovic is funnier and entertains and engages the crowd more though. All three bring different things to the table....

strange. many fed fans claimed how fed is 'down to earth', in the sense that you wouldnt think he is anyone special just by the looks of him.

to take an example, del boy is charismatic. dont see any of his qualities in fed.

Clay Death
02-25-2012, 11:41 AM
nothing he said in the interviews lacked "intelligence" you belligerent fan. How does Nadal not being bright have anything to do with him criticizing Novak Djokovic's antics from the past? he criticized the past and complimented him on the present. nothing to do with intelligence, just everything to do with reality

relax Mountaindewslave. lay off that stuff. it is bad for you.

i think we are on the same side of the fence. i am just not very nice to the clay warrior. i think he should keep his mouth shut and spend more time training and working on his fitness.

no need to talk nonsense with 3 hour interviews. in fact now i am really pissed now that i think about it.

what a waste of 3 hours when he could have been working on his fitness and also practicing.

dabeast
02-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Nadal's doing a vid with Rihanna?? luckiest SOB on tour for sure

Clay Death
02-25-2012, 11:56 AM
the deal with bar rafaeli was better. he might have managed to snatch some of that stuff.

rihanna also has a body to die for.

Castafiore
02-25-2012, 11:58 AM
what a waste of 3 hours when he could have been working on his fitness and also practicing.
Yes, because an athlete is supposed to work and practice 24/7.
It's only one evening close to where he lives and works and there's no indication that it's bothering his training schedule. You're criticising for the sake of criticising.

:facepalm: ...and you talk about intelligence?

Clay Death
02-25-2012, 12:12 PM
i cut him no slack Castafiore. period. not after the way he has let his game and his fitness drop after 2010.

but you can be nice to him.

Castafiore
02-25-2012, 12:18 PM
while you're strict with him by talking nonsense?

It's only 3 hours not far away from his home and training area and it doesn't have to cut into his actual training schedule or do you really think that those athletes are working out ever waking hour of their career?

Forehander
02-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Rafa's not wrong, Djokovic in the past was a massive attention seeker. Attention seekers never gain total success, they easily collapse and are simply mental losers. He's improved in recent years, good for him.

Fuser59
02-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Agree with that fact that Nadal is not saying nothing spectacular....just using some smart gentleman pep talk...like Fed has done for years anoyed by Djokovic parents behaviour at Monte Carlo..
Nole was somewhat of an attention whore.. at that empersonation time...but he has done a 360 turn since then though...the turning stone was ditching his parents at tournaments...even Serbians agree with that..
Nadal is having to turn to this.. since he is being dominated so bad...
Actually I think Novak has turned out great!! Don't forget his father built him a statue in the centre of Belgrade back in 2008 I think...and then the T-Shirts with his picture in the USO '09...

shuhrat
02-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Agree with that fact that Nadal is not saying nothing spectacular....just using some smart gentleman pep talk...like Fed has done for years anoyed by Djokovic parents behaviour at Monte Carlo..
Nole was somewhat of an attention whore.. at that empersonation time...but he has done a 360 turn since then though...the turning stone was ditching his parents at tournaments...even Serbians agree with that..
So he hasn't changed that much. :smoke:

Nadal is having to turn to this.. since he is being dominated so bad...
Actually I think Novak has turned out great!! Don't forget his father built him a statue in the centre of Belgrade back in 2008 I think...and then the T-Shirts with his picture in the USO '09...

Originally Posted by Fuser59 (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=11723382&postcount=43)
Although I do believe Djokovic dad is also a little insane (THEY ALL ARE...) building a statue of his own 19 year old kid (at the time) at the tennis center in Belgrade...what's with that a personality cult of his own teenage child...?? What you can figure from this is that all parents are crazy except Roger's parents...they are just the essence of normal parents who don't love sticking out and being in center of attention...

Originally Posted by shuhrat (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=11723396&postcount=44)
what statue do you mean? If you're referring to the terra-cotta statue at the Serbian Open venue, it was made by Shanghai Masters Cup committee in 2007.I really want to know which statue you're talking about. :confused: Oh, and at least get your facts straights, when accusing somebody.

Looner
02-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Let's face it, I'm a big fan, but he is attention seeking. He has big desire to be loved. When crowd was against him at the French, he couldn't handle it, and it was one of the reasons why he lost to Fed in 2011 FO. He's trying to be more Federer-like on and off court lately, but he can't hide the fact that he loves being center of attention. I don't see anything wrong with it though. If every player was like Federer, tennis would be boring as hell.

I don't agree that tennis would be boring if everyone was like Fed. BUT I agree that I somewhat like the fact Djoko is different. Tennis has been about variety on and off the court whenever it's been at its best as a sport. Djokovic is another testament to that fact.

Farenhajt
02-25-2012, 02:45 PM
"First I can make fun of you by imitating you, and then I can make fun of you by beating the crap out of you. And all you can do about it is to be a tattletale."

Rafaela :stupid: :baby:

munZe konZa
02-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Hey I want to see someone imitate Nole

Alex999
02-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Rafa's not wrong, Djokovic in the past was a massive attention seeker. Attention seekers never gain total success, they easily collapse and are simply mental losers. He's improved in recent years, good for him.
I can see your point but I don't think Novak was 'an attention seeker'. I simply think that he is just one of those guys who love to have some fun, good time. sure, now he #1 and he toned it down, but he is still the same person. Nole is still the biggest goof on the tour (in a good way). I think it helps him to relax and stay motivated.

martinatreue
02-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Nadal and (I think Federer too) were definitely rubbed the wrong way by Nole's personality and his extroverted nature. I think Rafa never showed that he was annoyed until having loat a string of finals to him. Federer showed his annoyance from the beginning. In a way Rafa's criticism does come across like a bit of sour grapes because of the timing. It may not be sour grapes at all, mind you, but the timing lends itself to that sort of impression. Overall I think Roger (whom I love) and now Nadal (whom I don't love really) have been too hard on Nole, but I can see how he can rub people the wrong way. I think Djokovic has a fun personality but sometimes I could see how it could be annoying to his opponents. Even though I am not a Rafa fan due to his crazy suggestions for 2 year rankings and all kinds of other crazy tour "improvement" suggestions like complaining about the length of the year but then scheduling his own calendar poorly I still see basically nothing that terrible about what he has said here.

tangerine_dream
02-25-2012, 05:33 PM
The responses to the original post deserves a Nadal-like facepalm

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/09/04/article-2033697-0DB7074500000578-839_468x367.jpg

MTF reminds me of that psychology experiment where different groups of people were presented with a photo of a man bearing a neutral expression. They were asked to interpret the photo and the responses ran the gamut from "He must be a man very much in love" to "he looks rather suicidal".

Picture of Rafa, clearly hating on that attention-seeking whore Novak.
http://yourvolleyssuck.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/rafael-nadal.jpg

arm
02-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Nothing wrong there, Nole likes to get attention, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Quoted for truth.
Can't believe Nadull is still bitter because of those impersonations that happened 5 years ago.

Yes, because those were very offensive.

It doesn't matter whether Rafa sings praises to Djokovic, Federer and
Murray - it will always be spun in a negative manner in this forum.

Yep, that's pretty much it.

BigJohn
02-25-2012, 05:45 PM
MTF reminds me of that psychology experiment where different groups of people were presented with a photo of a man bearing a neutral expression. They were asked to interpret the photo and the responses ran the gamut from "He must be a man very much in love" to "he looks rather suicidal".

Picture of Rafa, clearly hating on that attention-seeking whore Novak.
http://yourvolleyssuck.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/rafael-nadal.jpg

I would have said suicidal.

tangerine_dream
02-25-2012, 05:53 PM
I would have said suicidal.

Or maybe he's a man very much in love? :inlove:

Time Violation
02-25-2012, 05:57 PM

There's a thin line between love and hate, in any case there's passion obviously :lol:

arm
02-25-2012, 06:01 PM

Tangy always right. :worship:

manadrainer
02-25-2012, 06:07 PM
:lol: Really? He does? What is their H2H? 18:9?

Oh, wait, that is the H2H between Rafa and Roger :devil: Congratulations on being a fan of Rafa's Bitch!

NEXT!

About the interview, nothing wrong with what Rafa said. Haters are gonna hate!

7-0 and counting... cry more. :wavey:

Ajde.

rutinos harcos
02-25-2012, 06:36 PM
I don't know what is this dobar thing, but AJDE would have been a better way to end the post.
If I'm not mistaken you're fan of Nole.Right?
If that's the case than you're not a dedicated Nole fan.
Ajde is what Ana Ivanovic uses non-stop and Jelena Jankovic sometimes.Nole NEVER used ajde,most often he uses DOBAR and that's his thing.This ajde nonsense was started(out of pure ignorance) by some of Nole's biggest haters(mostly Fedtards).We all know who they are.

DOOOBAAAR.

Slice Winner
02-25-2012, 06:41 PM
If I'm not mistaken you're fan of Nole.Right?
If that's the case than you're not a dedicated Nole fan.
Ajde is what Ana Ivanovic uses non-stop and Jelena Jankovic sometimes.Nole NEVER used ajde,most often he uses DOBAR and that's his thing.This ajde nonsense was started(out of pure ignorance) by some of Nole's biggest haters(mostly Fedtards).We all know who they are.

DOOOBAAAR.

Ajde.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
02-25-2012, 06:48 PM
of course they dont like each other

how can you like someone who will take away your legacy, you can't

at best you can be peacefull rivals- but ultimatley never be friends in such a scenario

because its human nature to try harder against enemies than friends

nadal is getting owned by someone he has started to really dislike- even the best pr machine cant hide this

Mr. Oracle
02-25-2012, 07:30 PM
It's amusing that MTFers still discuss who offended who and why, its like a giant soap opera. No doubt this is the realm of teenage girls. I respect Ricky Gervais who says simply "if anyone is offended, then I don't care." Life is too short to be constantly worrying about that stuff.

Admittedly, as ridiculous as some of the djokovic antics have been over the years (beginning as a juvenile 17 year old), anyone who can't celebrate this youthful nonsense needs to losen up and stop being a judgemental, stiff-assed, bore.

Friday16
02-25-2012, 08:22 PM
He keeps on acting like he is so humble when he speaks to international press and he criticises Roger and Nole when he speaks to Spanish press. :rolleyes: :facepalm:

Mr. Oracle
02-26-2012, 02:38 AM
He keeps on acting like he is so humble when he speaks to international press and he criticises Roger and Nole when he speaks to Spanish press. :rolleyes: :facepalm:

I just hope that he doesn't become like Federer with his heel sniping. It would be a sad demise for a warrior who once did his talking only on the court.

Mjau!
02-26-2012, 02:51 AM
The world number two of the tennis ranking exchanged a few words with Alberto Contador: "Contador has my full support" reminded Nadal who recommended to the winner of the Tour [de France] to "train, come back and win" in order to silence the critics.

:facepalm:

Lopez
02-26-2012, 02:56 AM
What I find hilarious is that some of the Rafatards who are defending Nadal's comments are the same ones who are nailing Federer to the wall whenever he says anything out of line (the OP among one of them IIRC). :p

On topic, don't think there's anything wrong with what Nadal said. Part of it is true and even if it weren't, at least he's being honest. I like honest comments more than PC answers.

Djokovic as a personality is closer to Federer than Nadal in my opinion, only Djokovic is more of a showman than Federer. Nadal enjoys being the chaser, while Nole and Fed love being at the top.

Shinoj
02-26-2012, 03:17 AM
Novak didn't arrive the Tour in the wrong way. To think of it, there is no right way there is no wrong way. Novak was always the center of attention of his family since a long time. So that probably shaped his personality as well, wanting to be the center of attention.It is a trait that has been natural to him. It seems weird to me that for reason to placate the already established seniors like Nadal and Federer he has to come on the Tour like a reserved Stepanek or a Volandri.

i think why Djokovic didn't succeed early on was because perhaps he wanted to achieve things a very fast pace. he was always meant to be Top tennis player so probably he took it to heart and felt he has to succeed than to find a method to succeed.

atennisfan
02-26-2012, 03:20 AM
What I find hilarious is that some of the Rafatards who are defending Nadal's comments are the same ones who are nailing Federer to the wall whenever he says anything out of line (the OP among one of them IIRC). :p

WORD!

BigJohn
02-26-2012, 03:23 AM
Novak didn't arrive the Tour in the wrong way. To think of it, there is no right way there is no wrong way. Novak was always the center of attention of his family since a long time. So that probably shaped his personality as well, wanting to be the center of attention.It is a trait that has been natural to him. It seems weird to me that for reason to placate the already established seniors like Nadal and Federer he has to come on the Tour like a reserved Stepanek or a Volandri.

i think why Djokovic didn't succeed early on was because perhaps he wanted to achieve things a very fast pace. he was always meant to be Top tennis player so probably he took it to heart and felt he has to succeed than to find a method to succeed.

He arrived the wrong way and it did affect him big time. He looked baffled every time the crowd did not support him. That is hard to digest for an attention-whore, especially for one like Faker who was under the delusion he was loved and respected when he was clearly not.

It truly looked like he did not know how to cope with that.

LisaKoh
02-26-2012, 03:24 AM
I hope you're using the term "reserved" in an ironic sense when describing Sexy Stepanek! The guy got beaned by Gonzalez because he was so annoying.

Correct me if I'm wrong but most tennis players don't devote all their lives to this sport so they can play in Court 18 on a GS with only a few disinterested spectators. Everybody in this sport wants the limelight and the glory. They want to play on the big show courts, they want thousands of fans, they want a shoe named after them, they want sleeveless shirts to be cool in tennis.

Nadal's on-court histrionics and lawn-mowing are just as "attention-seeking" as anything Novak's pulled so it's pretty rich coming from him.

BigJohn
02-26-2012, 03:26 AM
Nadal's on-court histrionics and lawn-mowing are just as "attention-seeking" as anything Novak's pulled so it's pretty rich coming from him.

Huh... what?

Mr. Oracle
02-26-2012, 03:44 AM

LMAO. He's upped it with the lawn mowing by the 3rd game of the first set lately--forget about 5th set antics. Man I chocked on my dinner. Shouldn't read these tabloids when I'm eating.
:p

Yolita
02-26-2012, 04:21 AM
I just hope that he doesn't become like Federer with his heel sniping. It would be a sad demise for a warrior who once did his talking only on the court.

+1000000

Yolita
02-26-2012, 04:25 AM
Poor Rafa...He's hurting...But I still love him... Plus I don't trust the Spanish Press, I read the article in Spanish, but before I believe it I would have to hear Rafa himself, see his face, hear his tone of voice... It wouldn't be the first time his comments get taken out of context...

Yolita
02-26-2012, 04:52 AM

On the contrary, I think Nole did suceed early: he became the #3 player at the age of 20 years and 2 months old. That's early. Being top 3 is suceeding. And he stayed there, because his competition were two great legends of the game. You don't beat Fedal in a day, or a month, or a year. Novak waited ,gained strngth, learned how to beat them, and then made his move.

The ones who were too quick to dismiss him because he didn't beat fedal at the age of 20 were the commentators and journos, who wanted a story-line. If a 20 year old had managed to come and face Roger at his peak and beat him straight away, then Roger wouldn't be a goat, would he? Credit to Rafa and Roger that, however talented Novak is, he still had to pay his dues for several years before being able to beat them. And only him, all the others are still trailing behind the 2 goats.

Pirata.
02-26-2012, 05:09 AM
Hey I want to see someone imitate Nole

5vZ7CRTsn_4

:30

Pirata.
02-26-2012, 05:11 AM
Poor Rafa...He's hurting...But I still love him... Plus I don't trust the Spanish Press, I read the article in Spanish, but before I believe it I would have to hear Rafa himself, see his face, hear his tone of voice... It wouldn't be the first time his comments get taken out of context...

Coming from the person who was 100% ready to believe the AP's mistranslation of Fed's Davis Cup remarks about Stan and who criticised me for wanting the original French translation :rolleyes:

MIMIC
02-26-2012, 05:55 AM
And IMO, there's no proper "way" to arrive on tour. You just bring YOU.

BigJohn
02-26-2012, 06:22 AM
And IMO, there's no proper "way" to arrive on tour. You just bring YOU.

There is really only one answer to this:

Oprah Winfrey-

You Go Girl!

Stefwhit
02-26-2012, 06:43 AM
You wouldn't ask a blind man to use his eyes or a deaf man to listen up- so I don't think it's fair of u to ask the ignorant and insane (found in this thread) to be rational. It's just not possible,,,lol

LisaKoh
02-26-2012, 06:44 AM
This is true. Lots of insane people trying to spin Nadal's words into anything but what they really are -- the bitter words of a beaten man. Vamos!

rickcastle
02-26-2012, 06:46 AM
Coming from the person who was 100% ready to believe the AP's mistranslation of Fed's Davis Cup remarks about Stan and who criticised me for wanting the original French translation :rolleyes:

Yolita is just a petulant asshole about Federer, fact.

Arakasi
02-26-2012, 07:02 AM

:lol: :worship:

When it came to Federer: I'm sure the translation is accurate. Federer is the spawn of the devil.

But for Nadal: Oh even if I read it in the original Spanish that isn't enough. I'd have to hear him say it. We wouldn't want to misunderstand poor sweet Rafa now would we?

MatchFederer
02-26-2012, 07:09 AM

Yes, extremely extremely exasperating. ( x 100 001)

Anyway, its interesting to hear some personal insights like this more and more frequently from Nadal as he gets older and more willing to discuss things in general.

Ash86
02-26-2012, 08:25 AM

Rafa is not "hurting" - on the contrary he sounds at peace with Novak's success now and is focused on himself. I don't see anything wrong with what he's said as in the main it is complimenting Novak for his success and comparing him now as a 24 yr old to the more brash 19/20 year old he was when he came on tour. As for "letting his game do the talking" this was a 3 hour TV show where for obvious reasons he was asked about Djokovic for the first half an hour by journalists - he didn't just talk about him unprompted. He's given an honest opinion on Novak's game and attitude and what has improved which I think is perfectly fine. The article picks out a few lines from that half an hour...

I always quite liked Novak - the impressions were pretty funny after all - but I would agree that some of his and his family's comments back in 2006/7 weren't helpful to him. Similarly Rafa has perhaps been programmed to admire Federer a little too much so that he'd sound ridiculous in 2006/7 insisting that Fed was the favourite for RG and Rome etc. People change and mature - neither Nadal and Novak are like the 19 year olds who first came on tour and these comments aren't "bitter".

All 3 of the top guys have flaws and even though I prefer Nadal I can see his as much as Federer's and Novak's - for example I wish Rafa would stop talking about the schedule, 2 year rankings and injuries and hard courts - he's made his views clear in public now, just campaign in private if he really wants to and for now cope with the tour as it is.

Alex999
02-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Rafa is not "hurting" - on the contrary he sounds at peace with Novak's success now and is focused on himself. I don't see anything wrong with what he's said as in the main it is complimenting Novak for his success and comparing him now as a 24 yr old to the more brash 19/20 year old he was when he came on tour. As for "letting his game do the talking" this was a 3 hour TV show where for obvious reasons he was asked about Djokovic for the first half an hour by journalists - he didn't just talk about him unprompted. He's given an honest opinion on Novak's game and attitude and what has improved which I think is perfectly fine. The article picks out a few lines from that half an hour...

I always quite liked Novak - the impressions were pretty funny after all - but I would agree that some of his and his family's comments back in 2006/7 weren't helpful to him. Similarly Rafa has perhaps been programmed to admire Federer a little too much so that he'd sound ridiculous in 2006/7 insisting that Fed was the favourite for RG and Rome etc. People change and mature - neither Nadal and Novak are like the 19 year olds who first came on tour and these comments aren't "bitter".

All 3 of the top guys have flaws and even though I prefer Nadal I can see his as much as Federer's and Novak's - for example I wish Rafa would stop talking about the schedule, 2 year rankings and injuries and hard courts - he's made his views clear in public now, just campaign in private if he really wants to and for now cope with the tour as it is.
good post Ash. I also think that Rafa is 'at peace with himself'. Rafa should go after his own business. nothing wrong with what he said.

Time Violation
02-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Who cares/Rafa forum :p

reery
02-26-2012, 11:53 AM
The ones who were too quick to dismiss him because he didn't beat fedal at the age of 20 were the commentators and journos, who wanted a story-line. If a 20 year old had managed to come and face Roger at his peak and beat him straight away, then Roger wouldn't be a goat, would he? Credit to Rafa and Roger that, however talented Novak is, he still had to pay his dues for several years before being able to beat them. And only him, all the others are still trailing behind the 2 goats.

Wut? 20 year old Nole beat Federer in the SF of the AO 2008. You are talking about slams? In masters series 19 year old Nole beat Nadal in Miami 2007(QF?). 20 year old Nole beat Nadal and Federer back to back in Montreal 2007. 20 year old Nole beat Nadal in Indian Wells 2008(SF).

rutinos harcos
02-26-2012, 12:20 PM
True.But at 20 he wasn't as consistent beating Fedal as he is now(and was in 2011).

Alex999
02-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Wut? 20 year old Nole beat Federer in the SF of the AO 2008. You are talking about slams? In masters series 19 year old Nole beat Nadal in Miami 2007(QF?). 20 year old Nole beat Nadal and Federer back to back in Montreal 2007. 20 year old Nole beat Nadal in Indian Wells 2008(SF).
yeah, true. I guess Nole needed to grow up in a way. I really believe that he could have won more slams but he was too inconsistent at the time. well, he did turn out to be a great champion...:)

Clay Death
02-26-2012, 12:34 PM
i am not taking nadal`s side in this one. if you are forced or pressed to say something about your chief rivals, lavish them with praise off.

or say nothing at all. just say "next question".

reery
02-26-2012, 12:38 PM
True.But at 20 he wasn't as consistent beating Fedal as he is now(and was in 2011).

Maybe because when Nole was 20, Federer was 25/26(still in his peak) and Nadal was 21(entering his peak)? Nole entered his peak at 23/24. That's why.

Yolita
02-26-2012, 06:01 PM

I know that. Of course he did all that. And I had tears in my eyes every time. :) But he couldn't do it on a regular basis. That's why he remained #3 for several years. The talent to be #1 was there, of course. Both Rafa and Roger saw it...

I was talking about a 20-year-old beating Roger and Rafa consistently enough to take the #1 ranking away from them. That he couldn't do, and that's why many people started gloating and calling Novak an underachiever, a fluke, Chokeovic and what not. But I knew what Novak was up against. He was up against two of the best players ever to play the game. Of course he needed a bit more time. I never expected him to beat them into submission right away. But I knew Novak's time would come. And it did come. :worship:

Yolita
02-26-2012, 06:17 PM
:) :)

Check the relevant threads, sweetie. Of course I didn't base my opinion on one translation. I posted not only the ATP translation, I also posted French and Swiss articles. I compared them and noted their differences and made what I thought was a critical judgement based on all the versions available. I believe I was the only one to actually post the video of Roger doing the presser... Obviously to no avail... All that work... :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Never mind. *sigh*

Just one last comment: Rafa has always been nice, Roger has a history of making unfortunate comments after losses. That has also a bearing on how one sees things. It's bound to. :)

Corey Feldman
02-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Coming from the person who was 100% ready to believe the AP's mistranslation of Fed's Davis Cup remarks about Stan and who criticised me for wanting the original French translation :rolleyes:complete pwnership.

i've said for years what Nadal says to the world press compared to what he says to Spanish press/Spanish radio shows are very different

seen this as far back as 2006 after the Roma final
also how he whined about Nole's celebration after Madrid final last year (which to this day i dont see what Djoko done so bad there) hence
the evolution of handshake since then

guy is just raging coz Nole stole his wig.

Jovard
02-26-2012, 08:40 PM
"And I'm a good loser, I accept my defeats with calm and perspective and, if it is possible, in the most positive manner."

I laughed :haha:

"But best of all is the experience of living in the Olympic Village, sharing with all the other athletes who are there."

Free condoms + a lot of sex, who doesnt like that :lol:

rickcastle
02-27-2012, 03:07 AM
Just one last comment: Rafa has always been nice, Roger has a history of making unfortunate comments after losses. That has also a bearing on how one sees things. It's bound to. :)

Difference is Nadal was always nice when he was always winning. Federer has always said what he thought about Djokovic even when he was more or less consistently beating Djokovic.

I guess - starting to bitch about someone after you've lost to him 7x in a row is more respectable behavior?

Mystique
02-27-2012, 03:43 AM
:) :)
I compared them and noted their differences and made what I thought was a critical judgement based on all the versions available. I believe I was the only one to actually post the video of Roger doing the presser... Obviously to no avail... All that work... :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Boy, someone needs a job in life and fast. ;)

fast_clay
03-17-2012, 01:47 AM
complete pwnership.

i've said for years what Nadal says to the world press compared to what he says to Spanish press/Spanish radio shows are very different

seen this as far back as 2006 after the Roma final
also how he whined about Nole's celebration after Madrid final last year (which to this day i dont see what Djoko done so bad there) hence
the evolution of handshake since then

guy is just raging coz Nole stole his wig.

yeah... the discrepancy between the two commentaries he makes is quite an interesting study...

but, i do applaud nadal for playing the role of seniority here and taking a thinly veiled swipe at djokovic for his antics... i mean, everyone is different and not everyone has to play the role of tour saint in front of a microphone, but nadal does have to get back inside djokovic's head somehow...

this weekend is shaping up to be an absolute barnburner..

Orka_n
03-17-2012, 01:50 AM
Just one last comment: Rafa has always been nice, Roger has a history of making unfortunate comments after losses. That has also a bearing on how one sees things. It's bound to. :)Bullshit. He is only nice when he wins.

Nole fan
03-17-2012, 05:29 AM

Does it bother you much? I bet it does. :lol:

Nole fan
03-17-2012, 05:34 AM
So much hypocrisy on this thread :o

Nadal is completely right. There's nothing insulting about this comment. I actually thinks this one sentence sums up a lot about Djokovic's career. Also 'limelight' doesn't mean being famous or in photoshoots :rolleyes:, it means winning titles and being #1.

Djokovic's behaviour after AO '08 was very telling I think. He clearly thought all the hard work had been done and it was only a matter of time before he got #1. I think in his own head he probably thought he was better than Federer (and Nadal) and was about to take over his mantle: "the King is dead, long live the King".

His attitude and behaviour were completely out of sync with his accomplishments at the time but he's done a lot of growing up since then. Seeing the disrespectful way his parents have behaved in the past I suspect they could be held responsible for Novak's attitude when he was younger.

Now he's earned the right to act like he's the best because he is the best. It was an arduous journey from 2008-2010 for his fans and for a time I think he went too far the other way and lost a lot of belief in himself but he's finally managed to right the ship and the rest is history.

Why people assume he said those words? He never said a disrespectful comment about federer or nadal in those years. Those comments were allegedly made by his mother of his own accord and I say 'allegedly' because there is a story about that and manipulation of those words which were put out of context for better impact. Personally i couldn't care less if she said it with that intention or not, I thought it was refreshing at the time to have a family like the Djokovics, tennis had become such a boring sport with Nadal and Federer. Djokovic was a breath of fresh air.

swisht4u
03-17-2012, 05:42 AM
Djokovic was young and new to the limelight.
That's OK.
Everyone adjusts in their own way and now he's grown up quite a bit.
Back then his parents probably had more influence but he learned pretty well.

It's none of Nadal's business what Nole did back then and shouldn't pass judgement.

But still, Nadal should be able to say what's on his mind too.

Nole fan
03-17-2012, 05:50 AM
On the contrary, I think Nole did suceed early: he became the #3 player at the age of 20 years and 2 months old. That's early. Being top 3 is suceeding. And he stayed there, because his competition were two great legends of the game. You don't beat Fedal in a day, or a month, or a year. Novak waited ,gained strngth, learned how to beat them, and then made his move.

I like the fact that you addressed that. People make mistakes like that all the time. Nole had EARLY success when he won his first grand slam at the age of 21 and raised metheorically trough the rankings until he got to number 3 and couldn't break away from it. But he was always the third guy in the wheel, waiting for a chance to be number 1. In 2008 any sensible tennis fan knew that he would be number 1 soon enough. It just took him longer than anyone really expected, including him.

leng jai
03-17-2012, 05:52 AM
I like the fact that you addressed that. People make mistakes like that all the time. Nole had EARLY success when he won his first grand slam at the age of 21 and raised metheorically trough the rankings until he got to number 3 and couldn't break away from it. But he was always the third guy in the wheel, waiting for a chance to be number 1. In 2008 any sensible tennis fan knew that he would be number 1 soon enough. It just took him longer than anyone really expected, including him.

I believe you meant to say meteorically dear :dance:

Ajde.

Nole fan
03-17-2012, 05:58 AM
I believe you meant to say meteorically dear :dance:

Ajde.

You know I did Leng, i'm typing fast and english is not my language. :p

Arkulari
03-17-2012, 06:12 AM

This.

I prefer this side of Rafa than the PC bullshit he uses a lots of times, this is the real him and it's awesome.

leng jai
03-17-2012, 06:22 AM
Problem is Rogi was being bitchy that the umpires weren't enforcing the rules and Rafito responded by being bitchy they did enforce the rules (in a half assed way).

Ajde.