Memphis R2: Rochus def. Harrison 6-4, 7-5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Memphis R2: Rochus def. Harrison 6-4, 7-5

Roddickominator
02-24-2012, 01:44 AM
No thread?

Was a crappy match....even had like 4 breaks in a row at one point in the 2nd set. Harrison's coach has him pushing all day long. He's looking like a poor man's version of the bad version of Roddick. Bad backhand, loopy forehand, way behind the baseline chasing down a bunch of balls, only he has a much less consistent serve than Roddick so he can't rely on that to keep him in matches.

He IS a fast kid, but doesn't really hit good shots when far behind the baseline....hits way too many short balls and doesn't hit many great shots from very defensive positions(usually just turns out to be an easy volley for the opponent).

He started looking good during the game where Rochus was serving for the match....started ripping returns and actually hitting the ball and playing aggressively. It was too little, too late though. Rochus was in decent rhythm all match long and was confident enough to win.

I didn't really talk about Rochus much because matches like this really aren't on his racquet. He plays at his level pretty consistently...a decent player on a good day will beat him, but someone playing badly can easily lose to a guy like this. Harrison has to get to where he is beating guys like this consistently.

emotion
02-24-2012, 01:57 AM
Rochus has plenty of shotmaking ability...
And at this point, Roddick is more a poor man's Harrison

Agrajag
02-24-2012, 01:59 AM
Only saw the last set, but I thought it was highly entertaining. Long rallies, drop shots, net play, intensity etc. Good stuff for everyone. Some of those lobs fram the little magician were so good looking I would love to take them home.

Smoke944
02-24-2012, 02:00 AM
I guess on MTF every match is crappy, because considering the fact we knew beforehand that Ryan would play far too passively, that was a very good match. Some very good rallies and Rochus played well. Didn't make many UEs.

Roddickominator
02-24-2012, 02:08 AM
I dunno, I guess the whole "getting broken 4 times in a row" is a little too WTA-esque for my liking. There were definitely a few good points, but overall it was moreso just disappointing to watch Harrison playing like that, to me.

FlameOn
02-24-2012, 02:08 AM
Rochus :hearts:.

Harrison :hug:. Please don't model your game-style on Roddick 2.0 and play better in the future :(.

Johnny Groove
02-24-2012, 02:10 AM
Only saw the 2nd half of the 2nd set, but I thought the quality of play was quite high.

Voo de Mar
02-24-2012, 02:51 AM
And at this point, Roddick is more a poor man's Harrison

:haha:

BigJohn
02-24-2012, 02:55 AM
I feel like I should apologize to all victims, but this is one hilarious title.

Please stop the Roddick bashing.

romismak
02-24-2012, 03:12 AM
Harrison... pathetic in San Jose i was wondering what´s wrong with him, Rochus was better in rallies and here in Memphis the same, only difference was serve- that saved him one week ago- this time not 27 aces for Harrison so he is done...

Deivid23
02-24-2012, 04:28 AM
No thread?

Was a crappy match....even had like 4 breaks in a row at one point in the 2nd set. Harrison's coach has him pushing all day long. He's looking like a poor man's version of the bad version of Roddick. Bad backhand, loopy forehand, way behind the baseline chasing down a bunch of balls, only he has a much less consistent serve than Roddick so he can't rely on that to keep him in matches.

He IS a fast kid, but doesn't really hit good shots when far behind the baseline....hits way too many short balls and doesn't hit many great shots from very defensive positions(usually just turns out to be an easy volley for the opponent).

He started looking good during the game where Rochus was serving for the match....started ripping returns and actually hitting the ball and playing aggressively. It was too little, too late though. Rochus was in decent rhythm all match long and was confident enough to win.

I didn't really talk about Rochus much because matches like this really aren't on his racquet. He plays at his level pretty consistently...a decent player on a good day will beat him, but someone playing badly can easily lose to a guy like this. Harrison has to get to where he is beating guys like this consistently.

WTF are you smoking? Rochus played a fantastic match, donut

Mongoose
02-24-2012, 04:30 AM
great match, points in the second set were insane

:bowdown:

Clay Death
02-24-2012, 04:30 AM
ryan is hopeless.

MaratandMilos
02-24-2012, 04:39 AM
Yeah...Harrison can't pose a challenge to Milos in the QFs if he doesn't actually get there. I'm disappointed in him.

MuzzahLovah
02-24-2012, 04:42 AM
Ryan actually rallied better than in San Jose, but served worse. Ollie played much better. Entertaining match, vibrant rallies. A lot better than Roddick's zombie march toward retirement.

gulzhan
02-24-2012, 04:51 AM
:lol:

The titles at GM has been very inventive recently. Bring on Masters, people are bored!

Julio
02-24-2012, 06:16 AM
WTF are you smoking? Rochus played a fantastic match, donut

You're 100% right ; it was a fantastic match to watch. Olivier Rochus is amazing sometimes.

Ouragan
02-24-2012, 06:27 AM
Little old baldy still going strong, could be the next Santoro.

cutesteve22
02-24-2012, 07:00 AM
good for tennis

MatchFederer
02-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Harrison confuses me. He's clearly a physical specimen - he's very fast and has a strong physique - yet his ground strokes look so freaking weak, as if he isn't making anywhere near the best use of his natural athletic gifts. What gives?

Ad Wim
02-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Yes Ollie, sweet revenge! Now take out the all-serve bot.

BigJohn
02-24-2012, 10:40 AM
:lol:

The titles at GM has been very inventive recently. Bring on Masters, people are bored!

The fun police got to it...

Nirjhor
02-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Another American player has lost to another Belgian player in the same tourny! :worship:

Vida
02-24-2012, 03:26 PM
obviously harrison is a late bloomer. his time will come.

Deathless Mortal
02-24-2012, 04:03 PM
I dunno, I guess the whole "getting broken 4 times in a row" is a little too WTA-esque for my liking. There were definitely a few good points, but overall it was moreso just disappointing to watch Harrison playing like that, to me.

There weren't 4 breaks in a row..

Sunset of Age
02-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Some of those lobs fram the little magician were so good looking I would love to take them home.

:inlove:

jcempire
02-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Ryan needs to improve

Ibracadabra
02-24-2012, 05:48 PM
One of the last points was easily point of the tournament by ollie. Could even be point of the year so far

Deathless Mortal
02-24-2012, 06:08 PM
One of the last points was easily point of the tournament by ollie. Could even be point of the year so far

Do you mean the one which ended with Rochus hitting a light forehand CC winner that slightly touched the net?

Naudio Spanlatine
02-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Ryan:( :sad: :hug:

Ibracadabra
02-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Do you mean the one which ended with Rochus hitting a light forehand CC winner that slightly touched the net?

yeah, cant remember how many strokes it was and i think rochus even hit two perfect lobs