This kid is the future. :worship:

Bye bye Fish, enjoy the last part of your time in the top 10. :wavey:

Kat_YYZ
02-23-2012, 09:21 PM
GOATivetti :bowdown:
Fish :haha: should have gone to Memphis :bigwave:

v-money
No big deal for Fish. He was only here to learn some French, so he wouldn't need to make comments like "I don't speak French, dumbass."

asmazif
What a guy. Came out of absolutely nowhere, miraculously wins a match and then er... beats the world no. 8. all hail Sir Olivetti :worship:

KaiserT
02-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Cipolla had better service stats vs seppi than Fish did today, a slow tank, not sure it was worth 300k though.

duong
I couldn't watch the match (MArseilles is not on tennistv in France :rolleyes: ) but from the scoreboard, he won many points on Fish's serve (broke Fish 3 times, 8 break points in 3rd set) : how did that happen ?

Adri89
Fish was very bad, Olivetti did a good first set and then had up and down (was *3-1 in the second) but managed to win at the end and that the most important. Very nice run for him :yeah:

Li Ching Yuen
Impressive physique on this kid. The new breed.

Eddy DoubleD
I would like to see him play against Raonic:D Maybe in a year that could happen. This kid has a huge service.

simplet
Broke in every set too.

Got to say say Fish was awful though

Slice Winner
No big deal for Fish. He was only here to learn some French, so he wouldn't need to make comments like "I don't speak French, dumbass."

And pick up €350k

Belludal
02-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Olivetti :yeah::worship::yeah:

Fish :bigwave:

Voo de Mar
Fish :haha: How he could get broken 3 times on a hard court by a limited guy like Olivetti being broken almost for the 4th time is beyond me...

But kudos to the Frenchman with Italian name, nice career ahead of him if he stays healthy. His 1st serve is an amazing weapon and I like his very positive attitude, something what for example Guccione hasn't got and that's one of the reasons he didn't take advantage of his serve to achieve more.

motorhead
I wish this was a slam match

ImmzB
Bye bye Fish, enjoy the last part of your time in the top 10. :wavey:

:lol: :haha:

Anyway congrats Olivetti! :yeah:

Yves.
Monumental. What was Olivetti's reaction to this win?

superandy88
This Olivetti is not bad at all. He moves really well for beeing an over 2m giant, good slice backhand, solid forehand, nice volleys.
Not worse than Raonic.

Smoke944
Cipolla had better service stats vs seppi than Fish did today, a slow tank, not sure it was worth 300k though.

300k, are you serious? :spit:

Anyway, this bandwagon will derail quickly when Olivetti adds some L's to his 1-4 Challenger record.

henke007
02-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Mugdy:bigwave:

Gotta see this Oliv play tomorrow :worship:

Tom Paulman
I hope Llodra ends this mug's fluke run

v-money
And pick up €350k

Minor detail.

silverwhite
The French Karlovic :D

scoobs
Impressive win. Not sure how he's ranked 388. Did he only recently learn he's allowed to run to the ball or something?

samanosuke
02-23-2012, 09:25 PM
where is that annoying amrecian nationalist now . won't share fishy's hugs with us ?

superandy88
02-23-2012, 09:25 PM

An Allez, a fistpump and that was it. Nothing spectacular. :)

lucyfur
02-23-2012, 09:26 PM
:lol: losing to a player ranked 388.

superandy88
The French Karlovic :D

With less touch but moves and returns ten times better.

asmazif

already has haters :haha:

MuzzahLovah
I think Olivetti might be kind of hot with a better hair cut and better fitting kit. His game isn't that great to watch, but I enjoy watching him a good deal more if he put more effort into his appearance.

Horatio Caine
:lol: Fish

A little bit surprised by Fish tbh. Any match against a tall server like that can become a lottery, but certainly I have seen him handle what Isner throws at him, for example...and Isner is a much tougher player than Olivetti.

Credit to Olivetti for a career-best win, but he has a lot of work to do before he can play with the big boys on a regular basis. Evidently the serve can be a strong base for his game, but he really lacks consistency on it at the moment. He has a good backhand, and some nice touch at the net...but that is about it. Not top 100 material at the moment, before anyone jumps on the bandwagon.

v-money
02-23-2012, 09:27 PM

A lot less emotional then I expected. Just jumped in the air and yelled.

He does have a solid celebration yell. Don't think he's saying anything, just yells.

Voo de Mar

Enthusiastic, he jumped with a fist pump. Actually he was enjoying even Fish's easy mistakes a few times. He's a hybrid of Karlovic in terms of serve and Hewitt in terms of behavior :lol: ;)

Kat_YYZ

pretty calm, Raised his arms and punched the air quick but then he was just waiting for Fish at the net (he was already closer to it on the final point). gave an oncourt interview (in French, obv) but I can't crank up the volume as I'm watching the stream at work :o

philosophicalarf
02-23-2012, 09:28 PM
http://cache2.artprintimages.com/LRG/15/1552/727DD00Z.jpg

MuzzahLovah
Impressive physique on this kid. The new breed.

But ugly tennis. Just slap slap. Even his slices seemed like slaps.

Slice Winner
I think Olivetti might be kind of hot with a better hair cut and better fitting kit. His game isn't that great to watch, but I good deal if he put more effort into his appearance.

You were saying the other day how much you hated servebots.
Now the highest form of servebot comes along, and you don't care because he's sorta cute. ;)

Outstanding.

Stronga23
02-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Olivetti has a great chance to make the semifinals! :D

Tennis-Life
02-23-2012, 09:30 PM
GOATivetti :bowdown:

LOL :superlol:

samanosuke
02-23-2012, 09:30 PM
dedicated to " fishy loves you all "

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/mardy-fish-iw08.jpg?w=450

Li Ching Yuen
02-23-2012, 09:31 PM
But ugly tennis. Just slap slap. Even his slices seemed like slaps.

I couldn't give a shit. I'm sick of a full decade of hunched cross-court backhands.

lucyfur
Now the highest form of servebot comes along, and you don't care because he's sorta cute. ;)

Outstanding.

Eyecandy is always good.:p

bouncer7
Enthusiastic, he jumped with a fist pump. Actually he was enjoying even Fish's easy mistakes a few times. He's a hybrid of Karlovic in terms of serve and Hewitt in terms of behavior :lol: ;):rolls:

Sham Kay
02-23-2012, 09:33 PM
The future looks bright for Olivetti

This Olivetti is not bad at all. He moves really well for beeing an over 2m giant, good slice backhand, solid forehand, nice volleys.
Not worse than Raonic.

He's getting compliments

He's getting people concerned about his feelings

He's getting haters

I think Olivetti might be kind of hot with a better hair cut and better fitting kit. His game isn't that great to watch, but I good deal if he put more effort into his appearance.

He's getting graded on his looks

The formula for greatness is coming together already.

scoobs
02-23-2012, 09:34 PM
The future looks bright for Olivetti

He's getting compliments

He's getting people concerned about his feelings

He's getting haters

He's getting graded on his looks

The formula for greatness is coming together already.
He definitely is kinda cute. Decent legs too for such a tall guy.

duong
02-23-2012, 09:38 PM
I've never seen Olivetti play, but for the people who rank him too high please take note that he's lost early in futures nearly every week for long :lol:
(well that also happened to Raonic 2-3 years ago but he won more often)

MuzzahLovah
02-23-2012, 09:39 PM

Outstanding.

I never said I hate servebots- I hate watching servebots play. Ivo has a great personality and Isner is a nice guy. Have nothing against them personally(unlike say, Tomic, Nadal etc.)
Servebots would be a lot more tolerable to watch playing if they were attractive, that's why I'm meeting this one with cautious optimism.

Also, I've never seen a Serve bot have so many double faults or allow someone like Fish to hit so many return winners, so I'm not sure how he's the highest form of servebot.

superandy88
02-23-2012, 09:40 PM
I've never seen Olivetti play, but for the people who rank him too high please take note that he's lost early in futures nearly every week for long :lol:

Well, Olivetti is just a type of player (as Karlovic a few years ago, now he got a lot better) that plays his matches on a few deciding points nonetheless because from the back he is inferiour against anyone, so it depends all on his confidence and serve.

Slice Winner
02-23-2012, 09:41 PM
I never said I hate servebots- I hate watching servebots play. Ivo has a great personality and Isner is a nice guy. Have nothing against them personally(unlike say, Tomic, Nadal etc.)
Servebots would be a lot more tolerable to watch playing if they were attractive, that's why I'm meeting this one with cautious optimism.

Also, I've never seen a Serve bot have so many double faults or allow someone like Fish to hit so many return winners, so I'm not sure how he's the highest form of servebot.

Highest form of servebot means he has no ground game, doesn't mean he's the big server who wins the most (Isner atm).
Same way highest form of pusher would mean someone who moonballs / junk slices every shot, not the pusher who wins the most (which is Murray :D)

To be fair, his topspin backhand looks better than Karlovic's. I think he could breach top 50 if he develops some consistency. He has a really bad 2nd serve now though. Isner and Karlovic both have great ones.

duong
02-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Well, Olivetti is just a type of player (as Karlovic a few years ago, now he got a lot better) that plays his matches on a few deciding points nonetheless because from the back he is inferiour against anyone, so it depends all on his confidence and serve.

Anyway, even in futures he's had better results for a few months then he must have improved and/or been more confident.

zoparrat
Into top 300's with this win. He just needs to get his ranking high enough to enter 250's and then he can definitely pull a win or two frequently enough to maintain his position.

philosophicalarf

I saw him Monday in the qualis - amusing that Romain Jouan ran him closer than Fish did :-)

Might take him a while to progress, Karlovic was 24 before he made top100. He does look very heavy for that height though, Anderson is the same height but looks like a stick by comparison. Maybe difficult to improve the movement.

Voo de Mar
02-23-2012, 09:45 PM

He is a completely different player than Raonic, the only common thing is a massive 1st serve.

samanosuke
02-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Good to see that Olivetti is different type of player but he just can play like this on few tournaments per year. For today's situation Marseille is playing extremely fast and only because of this he looks like he could do something . Sadly, guys like Olivetti don't have future in today's game

RIboy
02-23-2012, 09:50 PM
why would anyone guarantee Fish 350k for appearance is beyond me....

Li Ching Yuen
02-23-2012, 09:51 PM
I saw him Monday in the qualis - amusing that Romain Jouan ran him closer than Fish did :-)

Might take him a while to progress, Karlovic was 24 before he made top100. He does look very heavy for that height though, Anderson is the same height but looks like a stick by comparison. Maybe difficult to improve the movement.

Don't know what you're on about but the guy moves better than pretty much anyone else with his frame, except Del Potro of course, and perhaps Querrey. The last one being a question mark since I don't think he treats tennis as a full time job.

Shirogane
02-23-2012, 09:51 PM
What a guy. Came out of absolutely nowhere, miraculously wins a match and then er... beats the world no. 8. all hail Sir Olivetti :worship:He even had to save a match point against Jouan in qualies iirc.

http://cache2.artprintimages.com/LRG/15/1552/727DD00Z.jpg:haha:

RIboy
02-23-2012, 09:54 PM
fastest serve today?

Li Ching Yuen
02-23-2012, 09:56 PM
He is similar to Ancic as far as overall attitude on court goes. Tries to stay positive and make the best of everything. Will probably be an important factor if his tennis improves in the future.

Voo de Mar
I saw 229 kmh but someone said he delivered 232 kmh.

Smoke944
It can't be overstated how much MTF loves a good old-fashioned bandwagon.

superandy88
fastest serve today?

Just 233 kmh. But he had some abdominal problems as he had a stick there. :D
Last week he served one at 258 kmh.

bouncer7
02-23-2012, 09:58 PM
why would anyone guarantee Fish 350k for appearance is beyond me....
he would come for 30k
guy is not even star in America, look how many followers he has on twitter

Li Ching Yuen
02-23-2012, 09:58 PM
I saw 229 kmh but someone said he delivered 232 kmh.

254km/h is his fastest so far. (overall)

Li Ching Yuen
02-23-2012, 09:59 PM
It can't be overstated how much MTF loves a good old-fashioned bandwagon.

Sure.
Bernard "Gin and Tomic" :worship:

SVK
02-23-2012, 10:02 PM
WTF moment in the start of second set, when Olivetti in the middle of the game after saving BPs took something (looked like some piece of paper or I don´t know) from...nowhere literally, probably it was under his shirt, what was that? I´ve never seen sth like this...even this annyoing comentator was wondering.

I think he has pretty good movement for such robust guy. A bit clueless when the seve is off though, also very risky second serve.

156mphserve
02-23-2012, 10:03 PM
beating an overranked Fish who doesn't give half a shit gets you a bandwagon these days?:spit: who knew

Talk to me when he does something outside France

hopefully he does:yeah:

Smoke944
02-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Sure.
Bernard "Gin and Tomic" :worship:

Not a serious sig, I just like the nickname :p
Bandwagoning is Lawrence saying Tomic can't lose to anybody outside of the top 4 :spit:

Naudio Spanlatine
02-23-2012, 10:05 PM
thats it im never rooting for fish sticks again:o:o

but great job kid:yeah:

RIboy
02-23-2012, 10:10 PM
profile updated: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Ol/A/Albano-Olivetti.aspx

bouncer7
02-23-2012, 10:11 PM
beating an overranked Fish who doesn't give half a shit gets you a bandwagon these days?:spit: who knew

Talk to me when he does something outside France

hopefully he does:yeah:
Raonic fans feel threatened by some 400ranked guy

who would say that:)

Voo de Mar
02-23-2012, 10:15 PM
profile updated: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Ol/A/Albano-Olivetti.aspx

Even 4 pics from today's match :lol:

156mphserve
02-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Raonic fans feel threatened by some 400ranked guy

who would say that:)

not really, maybe a little because I feel like Milos will break 156 soon, and don't want this kid to beat it.

I like servers though for the most part, but I've seen this story before, a random French player qualifies and does well in a french 250 only to disappear after that, go look at Metz last year. Even tour level French players always do better in France that elsewhere.

I said "hopefully he does":p

BodyServe
02-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Hahahaha just did a search about Olivetti.
One was saying: "Olivetti, the french Karlovic?" so i clicked and it returned "backend error" :lol: :lol:

http://www.sports.fr/cmc/scanner/tennis/201208/open-13-olivetti-le-karlovic-francais-c-est-un-compliment_440712.html?popup

But to be fair to him he has a better bh than Karlovic.

Yves.
02-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Fish :haha: How he could get broken 3 times on a hard court by a limited guy like Olivetti being broken almost for the 4th time is beyond me...

But kudos to the Frenchman with Italian name, nice career ahead of him if he stays healthy. His 1st serve is an amazing weapon and I like his very positive attitude, something what for example Guccione hasn't got and that's one of the reasons he didn't take advantage of his serve to achieve more.

He has an Italian grandfather ;)

An Allez, a fistpump and that was it. Nothing spectacular. :)

A lot less emotional then I expected. Just jumped in the air and yelled.

He does have a solid celebration yell. Don't think he's saying anything, just yells.

Enthusiastic, he jumped with a fist pump. Actually he was enjoying even Fish's easy mistakes a few times. He's a hybrid of Karlovic in terms of serve and Hewitt in terms of behavior :lol: ;)

pretty calm, Raised his arms and punched the air quick but then he was just waiting for Fish at the net (he was already closer to it on the final point). gave an oncourt interview (in French, obv) but I can't crank up the volume as I'm watching the stream at work :o

Thanks!

Certinfy
02-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Hahahaha just did a search about Olivetti.
One was saying: "Olivetti, the french Karlovic?" so i clicked and it returned "backend error" :lol: :lol:

http://www.sports.fr/cmc/scanner/tennis/201208/open-13-olivetti-le-karlovic-francais-c-est-un-compliment_440712.html?popup

But to be fair to him he has a better bh than Karlovic.
Oh Lord. :lol:

simplet
02-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Weirdly I think his biggest weakness is actually his second serve. His groudstrokes are already ok-ish and they can only get better, but his second serve is risky and not even that effective.

delboy
02-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Mugdy got 350k for turning up here?? what the...I dont even... :o:stupid:

Yves.
02-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Olivetti at 284 in the rankings :D http://live-tennis.eu/

Voo de Mar
02-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Weirdly I think his biggest weakness is actually his second serve. His groudstrokes are already ok-ish and they can only get better, but his second serve is risky and not even that effective.

IMO he has a decent 2nd serve, it's not a classical kick serve, rather a slice serve which he sometimes uses as the first one. It's worse than Isner's serve but better than Karlovic's. Obviously Olivetti will be serving more double faults than Ivo as a natural consequence of more risky 2nd serve.

Deathless Mortal
02-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Good to see a big server doing well. Hopefully it's not just a 1 week surprise.
And whoever gave Fish 350k to play there should be sacked and never employed again. Anywhere.

romismak
02-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Great that player that never played on ATP tour already got 2 wins in 2 matches and already is eating Fish for breakfast:D, his style will always be effective on fast surfaces indoors, but i think this bandwagon is already out of control, i don´t know if he will play in IW, Miami - at least qualification but i want see him outdoor on slower HC, what he can do there, how wind can affect his serve - FS% and so on. Hope he will go to IW, Miami - it would be great if he make it from qualification to main draw there

156mphserve
02-23-2012, 10:50 PM
hopefully he wins tomorrow so he can get a SE to Delray Beach if he wants it

FlameOn
02-23-2012, 10:50 PM
:haha: Not even WTA have losses this bad. WTF Fish? :lol:

Clay Death
02-23-2012, 10:58 PM
who the hell is this guy?

and why is fish getting fried so easily on quick hard courts?

BroTree123
02-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Holy shit, nice :yeah:.

duong
02-23-2012, 11:05 PM
having a name from a foreign origin is very very common in France, and Italian names are very common (even more than Polish ones ;) )

simplet
02-23-2012, 11:11 PM
hopefully he wins tomorrow so he can get a SE to Delray Beach if he wants it

There's no way a future/challenger player like him will suddenly hop on a plane and switch continents just to play one tournament (after playing at least 7 matches this week if he's in the semies to boot). He'll just return to challengers.

tennishero
02-23-2012, 11:11 PM
good player this #8 :rolleyes:

rhinooooo
02-23-2012, 11:12 PM
If this 350k for Fish does not lead to the destruction of capitalism... I don't know what will

Voo de Mar
02-23-2012, 11:22 PM
good player this #8 :rolleyes:

I don't expect him in the Top 20 at the end of this season.

allpro
02-23-2012, 11:28 PM
the croatian clone moves very well for a big guy and has soft hands at net. he’s a very emotional player though and could turn out to be another headcase. nevertheless, it’s good to see some fresh new blood in the game chipping and charging & s&v'ing.

ossie
02-23-2012, 11:46 PM
fish getting into top 10 was one of the biggest atrocities of mankind. i guess it was only a matter of time before he mugged himself out of it again.

Agrajag
02-24-2012, 01:29 AM

He made a couple huge kickers on big points that was very effective, but he mostly went for the flat one, mostly. Llodra should take him under his wing and show him how to hit an effective S/V second serve.

My favourite moment in the match was the first time he was taken to deuce. He had hit 3 aces and 3 DFs to get there.

A lot of the times he won a longer rally on big points he did it by handing Fish short slices to his forehand. So he was definately thinking out there.

DorianGray7
02-24-2012, 02:31 AM
Llodra will eat this guy for breakfast tomorrow.

You can't out S&V Llodra. LOL

ChampionshipPoints
02-24-2012, 03:45 AM
And pick up €350k

And whoever gave Fish 350k to play there should be sacked and never employed again. Anywhere.

If this 350k for Fish does not lead to the destruction of capitalism... I don't know what will

Any proof/link showing that he's getting that kind of money?

Deivid23
02-24-2012, 04:32 AM
Today Fish reminded me of his last matches against Pim Pim, totally frustrated and clueless out there

Wojtek
02-24-2012, 05:43 AM
Fish is joke player

Ouragan
02-24-2012, 06:10 AM
It's slightly impressive because this dude had a tough way through the qualies and has beaten a top 10. Will the hype last though?

TheBaker
02-24-2012, 06:51 AM
No way fish got a $300k appearance fee.

Mae
02-24-2012, 07:35 AM
I think Mardy is on his way out of the Top Ten.

EddieNero
02-24-2012, 08:25 AM
The deepest field ever. Thank god Federer had to play clowns and chokers in his era.

Sombrerero loco
02-24-2012, 08:29 AM
fish, you can retire now, thanks

rhinooooo
02-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Any proof/link showing that he's getting that kind of money?

Think it was posted by a few journos on twitter and made the round on some blogs. The appearance fee is the big reason he's not playing in Memphis, and decided to travel to Europe.

I can't verify it 100%, but I definitely believe that a tournament director is stupid enough to do this.

bouncer7
02-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Think it was posted by a few journos on twitter and made the round on some blogs. The appearance fee is the big reason he's not playing in Memphis, and decided to travel to Europe.

I can't verify it 100%, but I definitely believe that a tournament director is stupid enough to do this.

or mtf posters are just even more stupid. What if Fish paid couple of journalists for 5k or even less for few twitts to make this silly excuses. For 300k they could have top5 in finals.

LawrenceOfTennis
02-24-2012, 02:26 PM
A top 10 player loses to a guy who is ranked out of top 380.
:lol:
Weakest era ever.