Memphis Rd1 Raonic def Gulbis 6-2 7-6 (3) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Memphis Rd1 Raonic def Gulbis 6-2 7-6 (3)

m9m9m9m9m9
02-23-2012, 03:59 AM
didn't see the match but it's a totally expected scoreline..

FlameOn
02-23-2012, 04:00 AM
Ernie :awww:. A TB is a respectable effort though.

myrt
02-23-2012, 04:04 AM
Pretty much what happens when Raonic has his serve working. Hope the match wasn't as boring as I think it was.

Kat_YYZ
02-23-2012, 04:06 AM
well, I expect nobody saw it...

Gulbis seemed to be holding serve quite easily in the second set, so it's good Milos didn't have any costly lapses.

Hate when muggy players like Gulbis remember how to play tennis just long enough to eliminate someone you like from a tournament, only to go back to being muggy for the next 6 months.

ChampionshipPoints
02-23-2012, 04:07 AM
nid

Mechlan
02-23-2012, 04:08 AM
Milos has now won his last 3 matches and 4 of the last 5 with some combination of 6-2 7-6.

Naudio Spanlatine
02-23-2012, 04:08 AM
:inlove: :inlove:

viruzzz
02-23-2012, 04:09 AM
Ajjjnnnnaaaadddaarrrr ZZZjeim KhFer Meeelaeooooxxxx

MaratandMilos
02-23-2012, 04:09 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if Gulbis just provided the biggest challenge to him in the bottom half of the draw. If Harrison makes the QFs and plays at his peak level vs. Milos, he could do something. But other than that, the road looks pretty easy until the final.

BroTree123
02-23-2012, 04:15 AM
Good shit.

Naudio Spanlatine
02-23-2012, 04:21 AM
Good shit.

:haha: :haha: :p

BroTree123
02-23-2012, 04:26 AM
:haha: :haha: :p

:devil:

Naudio Spanlatine
02-23-2012, 04:33 AM
:devil:
;)

Clay Death
02-23-2012, 04:40 AM
milos express rolls on.

e-gul has work to do.

Pirata.
02-23-2012, 04:48 AM
Too good for Chairman Rao. We are not worthy.

tennisfan856
02-23-2012, 05:41 AM
If there is one player out there who is just screaming, "I need a coach!" it's gulbis. Can't believe he is back with gumy

Ash86
02-23-2012, 06:26 AM
The seemingly easy rise of Raonic continues... He'll be top 15/edge of top 10 in no time at this rate. With this kind of serving he could own these indoor tournaments for many years to come. Who knows if he can keep this level of serving up and stay injury free though. Hope Isner wins this one to even up the titles a bit between the servers (otherwise 3 titles for Raonic in the first 2 months :eek: !!)

Gulbis is an incredibly frustrating player to root for - like Monfils in some ways - has so much talent but wastes it most of the time. :mad:

henke007
02-23-2012, 06:54 AM
Good result, Bye bye mugbis

ossie
02-23-2012, 08:59 AM
always good to see mugbis lose.

hotdog
02-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Has Gulbis actually got talent? He just hits the ball hard...

rinnegan
02-23-2012, 09:41 AM
FFS Ernie :facepalm:

UsD.AnDreS
02-23-2012, 09:49 AM

What? He can also hit the ball : 1)short; 2)wide; 3)long; etc..
So..Do not even question his talent.

-Evita-
02-23-2012, 10:22 AM

Of course he has talent. His career high ranking is 21. Do you think he got there because of his dedication and hard work? :o

Sophocles
02-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Gulbis has talent but he is some way off a Monfils-level career. He is heading for a Malisse-type career.

takuma
02-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Yes, losing to Raonic (in current form) means you have absolutely no talent.
Also, the second set tie-break was the result of Gulbis hitting the ball 1)short; 2)wide; 3)long; etc.
C'mon people, it's not like he lost to a complete douchebag ;)

Raige
02-23-2012, 10:29 AM
the lack of passion Gulbis constantly displays is an insult to tennis and me as a viewer - I am a fan, he has great potential to irritate me when I have my spirits lifted by sickeningly friendly people.

However, I am glad Raonic won - some raw emotion will make him the perfect player. He has raw unfulfilled RAGE within him

Deathless Mortal
02-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Ajjjnnnnaaaadddaarrrr ZZZjeim KhFer Meeelaeooooxxxx

My thoughts exactly.

Snowwy
02-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if Gulbis just provided the biggest challenge to him in the bottom half of the draw. If Harrison makes the QFs and plays at his peak level vs. Milos, he could do something. But other than that, the road looks pretty easy until the final.

You never know which Stakhovsky you will get.

Certinfy
02-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Getting taken to a TB by Gulbis? :help: :tape:

You're going to need to play better if you're going to take the title Milos :p

myrt
02-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Can't believe Gumy is coaching Gulbis again. Somebody needs to teach Ernie to focus. Saw him do an emotional meltdown in Cincy when he was losing to a player he should have beaten. Can't win matches when you distract yourself by screaming and cursing at your box every time you make an error. He's still an emotional twelve year old on the court.

BroTree123
02-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Of course he has talent. His career high ranking is 21. Do you think he got there because of his dedication and hard work? :o

Two words: Weak, Era.

philosophicalarf
02-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Can't believe Gumy is coaching Gulbis again. Somebody needs to teach Ernie to focus. Saw him do an emotional meltdown in Cincy when he was losing to a player he should have beaten.

Wasn't that during the Canas period?

With Gumy he beat Fed in Rome, made the semis, took a set off Nadal, then pushed Fed hard again in Madrid. Injury got him after that.

nellis_lv
02-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Good for Raonic. Here's hoping Gulbis wins Delray next week, though. :yeah:

khanazam
02-23-2012, 02:40 PM
i dont get how the rankings work. how far does raonic have to go in memphis to get back to top 28?

Voo de Mar
02-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Actually the match was finished in the first game as Gulbis was broken :o

Mongoose
02-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Can't believe Gumy is coaching Gulbis again. Somebody needs to teach Ernie to focus. Saw him do an emotional meltdown in Cincy when he was losing to a player he should have beaten. Can't win matches when you distract yourself by screaming and cursing at your box every time you make an error. He's still an emotional twelve year old on the court.

no such thing when it comes to Gulbis

Mongoose
02-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Gulbis has talent but he is some way off a Monfils-level career. He is heading for a Malisse-type career.

no, a lot worse than that

Poetik
02-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Ernest, why? More courts than clubs and back on the good track

samanosuke
02-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Gulbis still playing tennis ?

fast_clay
02-23-2012, 10:16 PM
memphis has some nice brothels... game time starts now...

Miss Molly
02-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Raonic's first serve percentage was terrible in the first set. The secret was breaking Gulbis in the first game of the match, then he held his serve and broke one more time. In the second, both of them played better, at least according to the stats.

rutinos harcos
02-23-2012, 11:59 PM
Good job Milos,good job indeed.

Mountaindewslave
02-24-2012, 12:04 AM
well, I expect nobody saw it...

Gulbis seemed to be holding serve quite easily in the second set, so it's good Milos didn't have any costly lapses.

Hate when muggy players like Gulbis remember how to play tennis just long enough to eliminate someone you like from a tournament, only to go back to being muggy for the next 6 months.

he has definitely played badly for quite a while now, but Gulbis is one of the most talented players I have seen in a long time. if he does not pull himself together and do something with his career, then I think it will be a more wasted talent than even Nalbandian or Rios. Gulbis is insanely good but his mind and tactics are so flawed

leng jai
02-24-2012, 12:08 AM
Gulbis is simply amazing. I watched the first set of him vs Llodra at the AO and he was blasting passing shots from anywhere. Later on I checked the score and he won about 5 games in the next 3 sets. GOAT.

Ajde.

fast_clay
02-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Gulbis is simply amazing. I watched the first set of him vs Llodra at the AO and he was blasting passing shots from anywhere. Later on I checked the score and he won about 5 games in the next 3 sets. GOAT.

Ajde.

people need to be more understanding... i mean, brothels are everywhere... no matter where you go...very old trade that one too... and very hard to keep your mind on the game when there are great bargains to be had during the global recession... there's some fantastic value out there on the tour stops at the moment... f**king hell, cut the guy some slack...

Asadinator
02-24-2012, 12:34 AM
I'm confused, who are these leng jai accounts?

Ajde.

MIMIC
02-24-2012, 12:40 AM
Son of a.....

ad-out
02-24-2012, 02:28 PM
I was at this match. It took a while for Ernests to get his bearings but he played pretty well in the second. Milos is just on fire right now. That Ernests was able to get any first serves even back in play was amazing. I would be shocked if Milos doesn't win the tournament and have an excellent season baring injury.

the lack of passion Gulbis constantly displays is an insult to tennis and me as a viewer - I am a fan, he has great potential to irritate me when I have my spirits lifted by sickeningly friendly people.

However, I am glad Raonic won - some raw emotion will make him the perfect player. He has raw unfulfilled RAGE within him
I have to disagree about Gulbis having a lack of passion. It's clear from both watching him play and from talking to him that he wants to win. He wants to have a great career. And actually I saw very little emotion from Raonic during both matches he's played this week. He is very stoic on court. Reminds me of Pete Sampras a little bit.

fast_clay
02-24-2012, 08:20 PM
I was at this match. It took a while for Ernests to get his bearings but he played pretty well in the second. Milos is just on fire right now. That Ernests was able to get any first serves even back in play was amazing. I would be shocked if Milos doesn't win the tournament and have an excellent season baring injury.

I have to disagree about Gulbis having a lack of passion. It's clear from both watching him play and from talking to him that he wants to win. He wants to have a great career. And actually I saw very little emotion from Raonic during both matches he's played this week. He is very stoic on court. Reminds me of Pete Sampras a little bit.

why are you saying so many nice things about Ernie...?

very suss post this one

is there something you need to tell us...?

myrt
02-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Wasn't that during the Canas period?

With Gumy he beat Fed in Rome, made the semis, took a set off Nadal, then pushed Fed hard again in Madrid. Injury got him after that.

Yeah the meltdown I witnessed occured while I was sitting about five feet away from Canas , Ernie's dad, and Ernie's sister. Willy was pretty stoic throughout the match but Papa Gulbis just hung his head at some of the more colorful outbursts. I Always thought Gulbis was going to develope into a real force in the mens game but he's really gotten off track in the last couple of seasons.

ad-out
02-27-2012, 02:27 PM
why are you saying so many nice things about Ernie...?

very suss post this one

is there something you need to tell us...?
Because I think it is wrong to say that he does not have the passion to win. He said himself (to me) that even being in the top ten would not be satisfying. He wants to achieve more.