Better Career: Chang vs Ivanisevic vs Ferrero [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Better Career: Chang vs Ivanisevic vs Ferrero

stewietennis
02-22-2012, 03:15 AM
Michael Chang:
1 Major (FO '89)
3 Major Finals (FO '95, AO '96, USO '96)
34 Career Singles Titles

Goran Ivanisevic
1 Major (Wimby '01)
3 Major Finals (Wimby '92, '94 & '98)
22 Career Singles Titles

Juan Carlos Ferrero
1 Major (FO '03)
2 Major Finals ((FO '02, USO '03)
16 Career Singles Titles
World No 1 for 8 weeks

So, who had the better (or more complete) career?

leng jai
02-22-2012, 03:16 AM
Chang. Absurd achievements/physique ratio.

Hes also been on Sesame St.

Ajde.

Action Jackson
02-22-2012, 03:21 AM
Enough of these threads already.

Chang made the most with the least amount of talent out of those 3.

TennisGrandSlam
02-22-2012, 04:13 AM
Hardcourt - Chang
Grass - Ivanisevic
Clay - Ferrero

Alex999
02-22-2012, 04:17 AM

Chang made the most with the least amount of talent out of those 3.
I couldn't agree more. I remember that RG final against Lendl as if it was yesterday. Amazing match. Amazing accomplishment for Chang.

Sure, Ivanisevic won W at the end but he was a nut case. Ivanisevic was simply too crazy. He was always so nervous on the court, swearing etc. He could have won more slams if had been able to control his emotions.

stewietennis
02-22-2012, 04:32 AM
I couldn't agree more. I remember that RG final against Lendl as if it was yesterday. Amazing match. Amazing accomplishment for Chang.

Sure, Ivanisevic won W at the end but he was a nut case. Ivanisevic was simply too crazy. He was always so nervous on the court, swearing etc. He could have won more slams if had been able to control his emotions.

Doesn't it say something about Ivanisevic's skill (or play or serve) that he was able to win as many majors as Chang, as well as get to the finals of just as many.

HKz
02-22-2012, 04:35 AM

Which universe are you on where Chang faced Lendl in the RG final?

viruzzz
02-22-2012, 04:49 AM
Ummm... Chang, better career.
Goran, better slam (2001 Wimbledon was pure awesomeness).

Ferrero... World n°1, so I think he's gonna be in the big list.

howyesno
02-22-2012, 04:53 AM
only ferrero has GS + 1st in rankings, so I would go with him

Marc23
02-22-2012, 04:53 AM
Ferrero... World n°1, so I think he's gonna be in the big list.

Think the same

Chase Visa
02-22-2012, 04:54 AM
Chang.

Sombrerero loco
02-22-2012, 08:30 AM
michael chang :) he should have won at leat one more slam though

Time Violation
02-22-2012, 08:39 AM

Support my cause :p

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=197027

duong
02-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Chang undoubtedly, he also was very near to number 1 twice (when was beaten by Sampras in USO 97 and by Rafter in USO 98), was more regular.

Doesn't it say something about Ivanisevic's skill (or play or serve) that he was able to win as many majors as Chang, as well as get to the finals of just as many.

Ivanisevic's finals were all in the same slam : Wimbledon.

Chang in 3 different slams.

LawrenceOfTennis
02-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Definetely Chang. Ivanisevic was a beast indoors and grass but he fluked a Wimbledon which cannot be compared to Chang's FO even though he did not have to face a claycourter and Ivanisevic faced a great grass courter.
Ferrero :lol:

samanosuke
02-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Definetely Chang. Ivanisevic was a beast indoors and grass but he fluked a Wimbledon which cannot be compared to Chang's FO even though he did not have to face a claycourter and Ivanisevic faced a great grass courter.
Ferrero :lol:

so Goran's Wimbledon is a fluke but Chang winning RG at age of 17 was NID

LawrenceOfTennis
02-22-2012, 09:07 AM
so Goran's Wimbledon is a fluke but Chang winning RG at age of 17 was NID

Well, avoiding his Wimbledon rival Sampras was very lucky.

MaxPower
02-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Must be Chang but I can never forgive him for beating Edberg in that Final and preventing the most epic slam win. But as a swede it's hard to be mad at a 17 year kid that came out of nowhere. Borg won it at 18, Think Wilander was 17.

Chang turned out to have quite a nice career but compared to other very young FO winners maybe not. But I still feel like he overachieved

I think Ferrero is/was the most talented of the three. Shame that his career derailed by injuries/sickness otherwise he would probably had the best career

asmazif
02-22-2012, 11:04 AM

4 out of the 7 players were GS champions, and a further 2 were crowd favs... it was an awesome slam win no matter how you spin it.

LawrenceOfTennis
02-22-2012, 11:11 AM
4 out of the 7 players were GS champions, and a further 2 were crowd favs... it was an awesome slam win no matter how you spin it.

The Ivanisevic,Davydenko and Ferrero fanboyism is irrealistic in MTF.

Waterfox
02-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Chang best ever!

adam10
02-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Chang.

With no doubt.

Nirjhor
02-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Obviously it's Chang who had better career. :)

Pea
02-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Has anyone seen Chang on the senior tour these days?!?! He has such a huge serve now. Imagine if he had it during his playing days!

Ivo#1Fan
02-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Too soon to decide, depends on how many more slams the mosquito picks up bef4ore he retires

Dougie
02-22-2012, 04:19 PM

I´d say Chang beating a choking Lendl ( one of the chokes of all time) and then facing Edberg in the final is pretty lucky as well. If Goran´s wimbledon win was a fluke, then so was definitely Chang´s RG.

Pea
02-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Too soon to decide, depends on how many more slams the mosquito picks up bef4ore he retires

:shrug:

asmazif
02-22-2012, 08:29 PM
The Ivanisevic,Davydenko and Ferrero fanboyism is irrealistic in MTF.

That's irrelevant to the fact that it was an impressive slam win. No bias there. Nadal RG 2008 was an impressive slam win and I can't stand watching Nadal play. As for your statement, exact same could be said about Delpo. And a lot of others :shrug:

stewietennis
02-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Ivanisevic's finals were all in the same slam : Wimbledon.

Chang in 3 different slams.

It was all in the same slam but it was THE slam. If a player is gonna win a major or come close to winning a major, they probably wouldn't pick AO, FO or USO, they'd probably like Wimbledon. Additionally, I believe that during the years Goran made the Wimbledon finals, the fields were loaded with anyone who could win it (even with Sampras in the draw).

Alex999
02-22-2012, 09:30 PM
I really love Ferrero and I think that he underachieved in his career. I was always his big fan. Chang was a big fighter. Goran, again could have done so much more. I just simply never liked his behavior on the court.

leng jai
02-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Its pretty amazing how Ferrero turned into a decidedly mediocre player after his illness in 2005 and never recovered to this day. In his prime he was an absolute beast from the baseline. His clay matches against Guga were some of the best matches around.

Ajde.

Alex999
02-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Its pretty amazing how Ferrero turned into a decidedly mediocre player after his illness in 2005 and never recovered to this day. In his prime he we was an absolute beast from the baseline. His clay matches against Guga were some of the best matches around.

Ajde.
agreed. so sad. such a great player, great attitude. I feel like crying right now :). I really thought at the time when him, Hewitt and Rog were at their prime Ferrero would be a multiple GS winner. well, too bad.

thrust
02-23-2012, 01:42 AM
Chang!

thrust
02-23-2012, 01:46 AM
Has anyone seen Chang on the senior tour these days?!?! He has such a huge serve now. Imagine if he had it during his playing days!

TRUE! I saw him on TV the other day, and his serving was awsome. Modern equipment does make a big difference. Even McEnroe at 54, with a hamsgring problem was serving great. Pete was ripping winning backhand returns. Watching these older players tody proves that they would be great players in today's game, if they were in their 20's or early 30's

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
02-23-2012, 01:57 AM
should throw arod into this mix aswell

all great champions imo

jcempire
02-23-2012, 02:25 AM
Chang way better than those two

Raige
02-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Ivanisevic

only one of the three to bring out the fire within his heart. All the missed chances and disappointments accumulated into a fiery passion that finally won him the Wimbledon crown he so craved - A great man with a great racquet smashing technique. Fear the power of RAGE

cmoss
02-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Goran's serve is legendary.An example of how dangerous a big server is, when he can do something more than serve.

Isner&Kei = new Goran&Chang?:angel:

Raige
02-23-2012, 10:44 AM
You are correct - Ivanisevic struck a winner off his knees - he is anything but all serving, but regular tennis fans can never understand - this evokes my RAGE

continue to underestimate these passionate hard servers - I happily feed on your red hot stupidity

samanosuke
02-23-2012, 03:37 PM
So Ivanisevic is an all serve mug who accidentally beat Muster, Bruguera, Courier and Chang on clay

LisaKoh
02-23-2012, 03:44 PM
For tennis, Chang the overachiever. For business, Ferrero will outlast them all with his sport academies.

Start da Game
02-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Its pretty amazing how Ferrero turned into a decidedly mediocre player after his illness in 2005 and never recovered to this day. In his prime he was an absolute beast from the baseline. His clay matches against Guga were some of the best matches around.

Ajde.

ferrero defeated federer in a fast indoor hardcourt final in 2003, both fresh from their first slam win.....i think it was in madrid or was it in paris?

ferrero had easily 3 to 4 french opens in him......too bad he had to face peak kuerten too many times......

stewietennis
02-23-2012, 09:15 PM
should throw arod into this mix aswell

all great champions imo

Surprisingly, inserting Roddick into this equation of single slam winners throws off the curve because he's had a better career than the other three. More weeks at #1 than Ferrero. More GS finals than Chang. More titles than Ivanisevic. Comparing Roddick to these three is like comparing Hewitt to other dual-major winners like Safin, Rafter and Kafelnikov.