QF Rotterdam: Federer def Nieminen 7-5, 7-6(2) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

QF Rotterdam: Federer def Nieminen 7-5, 7-6(2)

v-money
02-17-2012, 07:13 PM
In the first set both players were serving well and playing quickly. No break points were faced by either player until 5-5. Nieminen was able to take Federer to deuce at 5-4, from 40-0 down actually, but didn't get a break point. Serving at 5-5, Nieminen went up 40-0 but then Federer hit a few winners and got it to deuce. Jarkko threw in a df somewhere in there, but I don't remember when, except that it wasn't on BP. On Federer's first two break points he missed his chances with a failed passing shot and a UE into the net, but played a great point on his third break chance. Would serve out the set quite easily.

The second set was much of the same. Good serving from both guys and both were winning a lot of points on their first serve. Federer was finally able to get some break points at 3-3, Nieminen saved one with an out-wide serve and Federer put a passing shot into the net on the second chance. Fed got another break point at 4-4 and again put an UE into the net. The set would go to a tiebreak, and Federer played two great points to get a few mini-breaks. Held it out with the serve.

Not a bad match overall. Had a throwback feel to it and it was nice to see two players playing so quickly without the time wasting.

Certinfy
02-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Nieminen was good, just in big moments he was awful to say the least.

EddieNero
02-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Always tempting to improve you all time tiebreak record.

samanosuke
actually a quality match . nieminen can't play much better than this . Fed has to raise his game to beat Delpo or Berdych

Time Violation
Watched only second set, except for serving pretty poor from both, error fest

AsianSensation
Borederer today. Nice job though

Johnny Groove
02-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Nieminen freezing up in the tight situations. Making errors poor shot selection, DF, and 2nd serves that even Wozniaki would say were wussy. Federer dealt with those accordingly (clean winners).

Routinerer was here today, DayintheOfficeFed as well, but he'll need to clean it up vs. Berdych/Delpo.

samanosuke
02-17-2012, 07:16 PM

did we watch the same match then :confused: ?

Pirata.
02-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Acceptablerer.

Corey Feldman
02-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Indoor King marches on

Mystique
The first set was some good stuff, the second set was just bad from Fed and okayish from Nemo. Nothing more really. But I love the variety on this surface, no endless retrieving, just a lot of attacking tennis and ventures into the net (and silly errors of course ;))
And great TB in the end from RF, Upped the ante at the right time

SF will be a lot tougher, needs to lift his level up a notch

castle007
Federer had plenty of chances, but failed to convert. Nieminen played well, but struggled during the big points.

Federer needs to cut down on the errors if he wants to win the tournament.

MuzzahLovah
Horrific from Fed in the second set on return. Niemo collapses at the end of sets like always, especially when Fed remebers how to return.

LuCC
02-17-2012, 07:18 PM
Boring match, he did what he had to. Only positive thing was that Jarko hasn't got single BP chance. He has to raise his lvl vs Gasquet.

Voo de Mar
02-17-2012, 07:18 PM
Nieminen has an awful record against Federer, it's sad considering Fin's class. I think the key to their H2H is Nieminen's weakest part of the game - second serve, usually it doesn't matter because he serves above 60% his 1st serve, but Federer is a master of exploiting opponent's weaknesses so he always finds right moments to take an advantage of Nieminen's second serve.

EddieNero
02-17-2012, 07:19 PM

Remember that the Rafole rivarly sets the tennis standards these days and unless you got a 30+ rally in every single point the quality of a match remains awful. Aces, winners and fast exchanges are unacceptable.

v-money
02-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Overall Federer had many more chances that Nieminen, even though some are saying Nieminen was not great under pressure, he did save a bunch of BP's, but the main problem was that he didn't even force a BP of his own the entire match. He did well to get this scoreline.

Lopez
02-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Good match from Jarkko, made it close like last time in Basel. Fought well but Roger too strong in the decisive moments. Beating Federer in a tiebreak is a tough task especially for Jarkko considering that his serve isn't strong.

Still, a positive tournament overall for Jarkko with the QF and a tight match against Roger. Hope his wrist stays ok, had some problems with it in the DC tie.

mlhyde
02-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Nemo did a very decent job actually, the only thing is that he just couldn't find a way to deal with Fed's first serve.

timafi
02-17-2012, 07:32 PM
so happy Roger beat ugly teeth

masterclass
02-17-2012, 07:33 PM

Not from my vantage point. It was a largely well served, well played match. No opportunities for break for Niemenen, Federer won 79% of his service points. A few more opportunities for break from Federer, but Niemenen fought well. There were a relatively small amount of unforced errors, considering they were both going for winners and short play. When there were some errors, they mostly didn't matter a whole lot, such as the awful casual attempt squash by Federer at the net late in the second set. He followed it up with a service winner for the game. There was really only one poorer game from Jarkko in the first getting broken from a 40 love lead, combined with Mr. Federer upping his level, which is all it took there. And a good focused tiebreaker in the second set from Federer (his super tiebreak exho play yesterday benefited him), Nieminen played a bit tight, and Federer walked away a winner.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Time Violation
02-17-2012, 07:40 PM

I was wondering the same, what quality did you see there? In second set, Fed was routinely missing the open court, he failed to convert any break point he had; Nieminen made a whole lot of errors going after Fed's second serves and was barely winning points on Fed's serve, had no break points at all; completely went missing in the tie break. There were some good shots, but far from quality match.

Remember that the Rafole rivarly sets the tennis standards these days and unless you got a 30+ rally in every single point the quality of a match remains awful. Aces, winners and fast exchanges are unacceptable.

:facepalm:

asmazif
02-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Rotterer marches on

MIMIC
02-17-2012, 07:54 PM
One more match and you could say that Federer is 15-love against him.

masterclass
02-17-2012, 08:00 PM

Yes, they don't belong on a court like this. Doesn't suit them. They wouldn't care. It's like the indoor season in the fall. Just give them a court like Miami, Indian Wells, Rod Laver and all of the slower playing courts and let them slug it out from the baseline or further back till they drop. Trouble is, one or both just might soon, and that would be sad.

They don't need a shorter schedule, they simply need to play on more varied surfaces with a preference toward faster playing hard courts, which is the most damaging to the players joints. They (all ATP tournament officials and players) have to realize there is a benefit to playing on a variety of paced courts.

It means that the same players won't have to go deep in every tournament, but they still have a chance of getting a few points and cash. Points, games, and matches will be shorter on the faster more damaging courts, their bodies will thank them for it and they might be able to last the whole year. More forgiving courts like soft clay can stay slow. And you will see different players going deeper in tournaments because they will be able to find a surface that suits their play.

Respectfully,
masterclass

masterclass
02-17-2012, 08:08 PM
I was wondering the same, what quality did you see there? In second set, Fed was routinely missing the open court, he failed to convert any break point he had; Nieminen made a whole lot of errors going after Fed's second serves and was barely winning points on Fed's serve, had no break points at all; completely went missing in the tie break. There were some good shots, but far from quality match.
:facepalm:

You can't only look at errors. It's about service and winners and when the service didn't win the point, it's because each player was aggressive, going for winners almost the whole match. There were a few bad errors, but not many. You can't expect them to rally 20+ shots on an indoor surface like this. It's not real fast, but it's fast and low bouncing enough where players like Mr. Nadal or Mr. Djokovic wouldn't want to be here. Probably a bit faster surface would have produced fewer errors as both players were going for the lines, both wide (mostly Federer) and deep (mostly Nieminen).

Respectfully,
masterclass

viruzzz
02-17-2012, 08:20 PM
They don't need a shorter schedule, they simply need to play on more varied surfaces with a preference toward faster playing hard courts, which is the most damaging to the players joints. They (all ATP tournament officials and players) have to realize there is a benefit to playing on a variety of paced courts.

It means that the same players won't have to go deep in every tournament, but they still have a chance of getting a few points and cash. Points, games, and matches will be shorter on the faster more damaging courts, their bodies will thank them for it and they might be able to last the whole year. More forgiving courts like soft clay can stay slow. And you will see different players going deeper in tournaments because they will be able to find a surface that suits their play.

Respectfully,
masterclass

This guy resumed what we've been talking about since 2010 in one single post.
I support you, Masterclass.

masterclass
02-17-2012, 08:33 PM
This guy resumed what we've been talking about since 2010 in one single post.
I support you, Masterclass.

Thanks viruzzz.:)

Now I have to finish the petition (I hope to have solid time this weekend) that basically says what I said here (but it's not just a "speed up the courts" message), but a little more geared toward showing how varied conditions will end up being a long term advantage (even monetarily) for all concerned. It's going to try to demonstrate that a preference of having uniform slow conditions that encourages long matches to bring more advertising revenue and fan support is short term thinking and in the long term damaging to the sport and players, and inevitably the fans.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Corey Feldman
02-17-2012, 08:49 PM
One more match and you could say that Federer is 15-love against him.2.

Timariot
02-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Testify, masterclass. It's just bs how much slow hardcourts there are these days. No carpet, no green clay, even red clay is on decline. It's just amazing how much the surfaces have changed in last 30 years, and it has been for the worse.

Corey Feldman
02-17-2012, 08:58 PM
maybe Fed ordered Krajicek how he wanted the court this year and for it to be green

henke007
02-17-2012, 09:04 PM
To solid from challengerer ;)

Jarkko can walk away happy with his effort, great result again great start to the year. He can take over Fiascos top 30 spot.

Voo de Mar
02-17-2012, 09:29 PM
About the surface issue... In my opinion at the times were the surfaces were much diversified tennis was much more entertaining but I understand why it has been changed. I remember around 2000 an increase of interesting in women's tennis, it made inter alia an impact on Eurosport which decided to switch its focus from men's to women's tennis. Average spectators want to witness longer rallies, so officials made all effort to deliver it slowing down the game, in a consequence the game became more one-dimensional in terms of game-styles as well as achievements by particular surfaces. In today's culture (I think tennis is a part of it) everything what has to be sold depends on an average taste :o

Black Adam
02-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Losing streak ends at 2.

Timariot
02-17-2012, 09:55 PM
About the surface issue... In my opinion at the times were the surfaces were much diversified tennis was much more entertaining but I understand why it has been changed. I remember around 2000 an increase of interesting in women's tennis, it made inter alia an impact on Eurosport which decided to switch its focus from men's to women's tennis. Average spectators want to witness longer rallies, so officials made all effort to deliver it slowing down the game, in a consequence the game became more one-dimensional in terms of game-styles as well as achievements by particular surfaces. In today's culture (I think tennis is a part of it) everything what has to be sold depends on an average taste :o

Yes, it's true. I remember well the years 1998-2000, the buzz about WTA was just immense, pretty much nobody was giving a shit about ATP, other than story of Agassi's resurgence. Which in a way is funny because the widely criticized serve-fest of the '90s was already winding down in those years.

Problem is that they went to other extreme, all the surfaces were homogenized and now it's same kind of tennis played everywhere. Funnily enough, I put tiny blame on Clijsters, she showed you can slide on hardcourts (insanity of insanities) and other ppl copied it, men & women alike.

Another problem is that when ISL collapsed, tournaments became a LOT more cost-conscient, and went to easily maintainable hardcourts everywhere to save money. This killed green clay.

Johnny Groove
02-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Roger is definitely carrying a few extra kilos in the gut area.

Should shed that before the real tournaments in the spring.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2012/02/15/Federer-advances-in-Rotterdam-7G10IP23-x-large.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=media%2Fapphoto%2F1b0b7ed5-5662-4cf8-9336-3f7619acdc36.jpg&w=512&h=346

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gYI52N5lVeN5/439x.jpg

Time Violation
02-17-2012, 10:12 PM
You can't only look at errors. It's about service and winners and when the service didn't win the point, it's because each player was aggressive, going for winners almost the whole match. There were a few bad errors, but not many. You can't expect them to rally 20+ shots on an indoor surface like this. It's not real fast, but it's fast and low bouncing enough where players like Mr. Nadal or Mr. Djokovic wouldn't want to be here. Probably a bit faster surface would have produced fewer errors as both players were going for the lines, both wide (mostly Federer) and deep (mostly Nieminen).

Respectfully,
masterclass

Lol, why do you people keep insisting I complained because of no 20+ rallies, I never said that? :) After some errors even Fed himself looked pretty annoyed, I don't think he was overly satisfied with the way things were going today. Anyway, all I can say is that if Fed meets Nole this year, I hope he plays as great as he did today, I'll be pretty happy with that :p

Shirogane
02-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Only saw the first set; good and aggressive tennis from both players, with Fed upping his game a notch at 5-all. As a Davydenko fan (:worship:) I don't like this result, but Nieminen just didn't serve well enough when it really mattered. :(

masterclass
02-17-2012, 10:38 PM

Yes, understandably after the racquet/string improvements and the mens serve fests of the late 90's early 2000's. But they simply have swung too far in the other direction. Balance is obviously needed, or something will have to give. It will be injuries to top players and shortened seasons. The changes don't have to be drastic. Clay court tournaments can still have 3-5 hour matches. 2 hours on hard courts or grass is plenty - 5 or 6 is ridiculous.

The women's game was more interesting at that time, because there was enough variety in playing conditions that all types of players had a shot of winning and the racquet/string improvements allowed women to be more aggressive. Now, how are pure retrievers like Wozniacki #1 for 2 years? If the men can't put away winners, most of the ladies even have a harder time, except for the 185+ cm superwomen. The women would benefit as well if the pendulum swung in the other direction some.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Time Violation
02-17-2012, 11:12 PM
The women's game was more interesting at that time, because there was enough variety in playing conditions that all types of players had a shot of winning and the racquet/string improvements allowed women to be more aggressive. Now, how are pure retrievers like Wozniacki #1 for 2 years? If the men can't put away winners, most of the ladies even have a harder time, except for the 185+ cm superwomen. The women would benefit as well if the pendulum swung in the other direction some.

If Wozniacki is that successful/rewarded for her retrieving, why does she have 0 slams? Not to mention that none of the slam winners in the last 5 slams are 185+ cm superwomen. Anyway, it's offtopic here.

BroTree123
02-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Federer :help:

Nathaliia
02-17-2012, 11:51 PM
nice match :)
of course world would be better with more creative smart players like this
sorry that jarkko had to lose, fed, when focused, was that 1 ball better obviously

Lopez
02-18-2012, 12:00 AM

Can't good rep you :sad:. "You must spread some around" etc... :(

Hian-GOAT
02-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Jarkko being shit at the decisive moments.
What a news...

http://mlkshk.com/r/44GM

Voo de Mar
02-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Nieminen is 17 days older than Federer, for both it was a tournament No. 246 in their careers.