Monfils WDs from San Jose and Memphis [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Monfils WDs from San Jose and Memphis

Mongoose
02-16-2012, 05:41 AM
:sad:

gators0708
02-16-2012, 05:44 AM
I guess it's a smart decision, because he has nothing to defend at IW and Miami, but don't get why he would play a dead rubber Sunday, and a Doubles exhibition on Monday.

Johnny Groove
02-16-2012, 06:00 AM
Take time off the tour, man.

Come back when 100% healthy.

MaratandMilos
02-16-2012, 06:20 AM
Monfils was diving all over the court in his match against Pospisil on the weekend. Yet another example of how putting on a show is more important to him than winning tournaments like this.

Kat_YYZ
02-16-2012, 06:33 AM
Here's a story link:

SAN JOSE, Calif.—Top-seed Gael Monfils has withdrawn from the SAP Open because of right knee inflammation, even though he never played a meaningful match in San Jose.

The Frenchman said Wednesday night he also plans to withdraw from next week's ATP Tour stop in Memphis and take a brief break from tennis. He will have an MRI on both knees when he returns home.
Monfils had been scheduled to play qualifier Dimitar Kutrovsky in the second round Thursday.

Monfils teamed with Steve Johnson in a light-hearted exhibition doubles match loss against John McEnroe and Jack Sock on Monday. He also helped France defeat Canada in the first round of the Davis Cup on Sunday.

Monfils says he hopes to return for the Sony Ericsson Open beginning March 21 in Key Biscayne, Fla.
http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_19975842

If he hopes to return for Miami, then he is withdrawing from Indian Wells, too, yes? :confused:

Puschkin
02-16-2012, 06:37 AM
Source: http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actualites/Monfils-forfait/263770

Smoke944
02-16-2012, 07:02 AM
Rest up Gael.
If Raonic wins the title he can give some of his prize money to Gael. Two years in a row where his withdrawal gives Raonic a comically easy draw.

MuzzahLovah
02-16-2012, 07:05 AM
He certainly looked awful in his doubles match with Benny, so it's not surprising.

DanaKz
02-16-2012, 07:17 AM
Matt Cronin's tweet
Monfils out of SJ & Memphis w/ right knee injury. WIll get MRI Unsure about IW/Miami, says Davis Cup more imp than Miami May need long reahb
That's a spirit.

romismak
02-16-2012, 07:19 AM
Monfils you fool, why did you play in DC when already was decided by Tsonga´s victory over Dancevic... really i don´t understand this guy he is clowning on the court, off the court all th etime, injured all the time, why he is for example sliding all the time when he is so injury-prone if he would using his brain he could play more agressive - that means less deffense and that means less sliding for example, i think he can limited his injuries just by playing differently and using brain- not playing dead rubber in DC for example when i am not 100% healthy...

KaiserT
02-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Monfils shows up what an imbecile he is, yet again.

If the man had a fully functional brain he'd be dangerous.

MrEleganza
02-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Blake Strode will replace him in the second round of San Jose. Very Lucky Loser (VLL).

KaiserT
02-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Blake Strode will replace him in the second round of San Jose. Very Lucky Loser (VLL).

Yep, he'll go in firm fav too, nice way to make an ATP QF :lol:

Jimnik
02-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Monf out of Memph.

Andy has to take advantage of this.

VIPer7
02-16-2012, 08:45 AM
rank #393 vs. rank #438 in an ATP 250 2nd round match, wow! :eek: Is this a record??

Jimnik
02-16-2012, 09:16 AM
rank #393 vs. rank #438 in an ATP 250 2nd round match, wow! :eek: Is this a record??
Indeed, even most challengers wouldn't expect this kind of match-up. Then again 250s are almost challenger hybrids.

RonaldGomez
02-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Guy is complaining about persistent injuries but he's playing useless exhibitions all over the world during preseason...or useless "tournaments" before Grand Slams (Kooyong) and Davis Cup (Montpellier)...he doesn't need a knee but a brain

bouncer7
02-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Good move, those two events look like challengers

Certinfy
02-16-2012, 01:47 PM
:sad:

MuzzahLovah
02-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Monfils you fool, why did you play in DC when already was decided by Tsonga´s victory over Dancevic... really i don´t understand this guy he is clowning on the court, off the court all th etime, injured all the time, why he is for example sliding all the time when he is so injury-prone if he would using his brain he could play more agressive - that means less deffense and that means less sliding for example, i think he can limited his injuries just by playing differently and using brain- not playing dead rubber in DC for example when i am not 100% healthy...

He also played doubles with Benny this tourney and basically threw the match by shanking every volley that came his way. For someone not a 100%, playing singles and doubles is a little much.

ImmzB
02-16-2012, 02:28 PM
:sad: :sad: Might be a good idea to skip both Indian Wells and Miami therefore he can be 100% for the DC tie against the USA and then Monte Carlo.

Playing the 5th rubber, Exho and then the doubles match didn't help! Gael! :facepalm:

mooncreek
02-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Monf out of Memph.

Andy has to take advantage of this.

Too bad Andy is in the other half of the draw. Ryan Harrison is the beneficiary - nearly guaranteed to make the semis with Ginepri and a challenger player in his path. He beat Raonic last year and I'd like his chances against Kevin Anderson as well.

Stronga23
02-16-2012, 05:25 PM
I feel like dying right now :sad:

MrEleganza
02-17-2012, 12:01 AM
Too bad Andy is in the other half of the draw. Ryan Harrison is the beneficiary - nearly guaranteed to make the semis with Ginepri and a challenger player in his path. He beat Raonic last year and I'd like his chances against Kevin Anderson as well.

He said Memphis, not San Jose.

Certinfy
02-17-2012, 12:12 AM
I feel like dying right now :sad:
:hug: It'll be okay, at least now he'll be more ready for IW and Miami physically. :D

Jimnik
02-17-2012, 12:21 AM
Memphis draw hasn't been made yet.

Horatio Caine
02-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Monfils shows up what an imbecile he is, yet again.

If the man had a fully functional brain he'd be dangerous.

Can't argue with that tbh. :lol:

A great player to watch, and one of the Eurosport commentators summed him up perfectly in Doha, last month: "You only need to look at him, and it makes you smile."

The problem is that by focusing on being more of a showman, he is sacrificing an opportunity for a better career.

He won't win a Slam (and probably not a Masters Series, as time is slowly passing him by...), but he should be consistently amongst the best 6-10 players in the world. Even by being amongst that select group, he'd be maximising his chances of a shock big title win, should some surprising results come about. Ranked outside the top 8-16, his chances of capitalising on a more open draw are much less.

He has the athleticism, stamina, strength, and great talent. But he hasn't a clue how to use even a fraction of it.

It is nice to see him chase after 'nothing balls', but there isn't much point doing it again and again. Best to save energy, and his joints (from jerky movements).

Often he plays far too passively, and ends up either losing matches he shouldn't (although that obviously happens to every player over a career), or winning after expending far too much energy. He can play effective aggressive tennis, but rarely continues this strategy after 15 minutes. He often becomes stuck between passive and aggressive, rushing the net at inopportune times, and not having the 'feel' for good volleys anyway. :help:

He needs to study the likes of Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and Ferrer a little more. These guys are brilliant at using all facets of their game...turning defence into attack, especially. Murray probably the more talented out of those guys, with nice hands at the net.