Where are Rogerīs chances against big hitters higher? Quicker or slower HC? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Where are Rogerīs chances against big hitters higher? Quicker or slower HC?

romismak
02-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Iīve been thinking about this lately, what do you think? When Roger is now playing Delpo, Berdych, Tsonga, Soderling or even Isner where are his chances higher at slow HC or quick HC? I donīt want discuss clay or grass, on clay for example Tsonga sucks and it is different, grass is only 1 tournament for year for mostly top guys, but HC is major surface with variety of slow HC to fast indoor HC or fast outdoor HC like Cinci.

Roger lately was few times overpowered by those big-hitters, now i am thinking on slower courts he can move them around, he did great in Melbourne now, but on quick surfaces he can do well when he is serving good and hitting winners left-right. But he also was destroyed by Berdych in Cinci, canīt do much on return and simply canīt handle big groundstrokes on fast HC, but the same can be said about slow HC where he is overpowered in rallies and those big hitters have more time for their movement- timing-defense and higher bounce goes to their striking zone. So where do you think Roger have bigger chances?

samanosuke
02-13-2012, 09:07 PM
slow

Certinfy
02-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Slow hardcore.

BodyServe
02-13-2012, 09:56 PM
He doesn't have enough power to hit through slow court unlike those big hitters, so i think slower courts favours more big hitters, i mean not slow-ass courts like IW or Miami but slow like French Open, Wimbledon or Canada.

reery
02-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Faster HC, of course.

SheepleBuster
02-13-2012, 11:43 PM
I am sorry. I was a fan of Roger until he lost to Isner. It's like one of those lines top players shouldn't cross. I can understand losing to Nadal, Djokovic, Tsonga, and even Berdych. Heck. Losing to Roddick would be more acceptable. As Monfils says about Isner, his ground game is sh**

Johnny Groove
02-13-2012, 11:47 PM
Clearly faster courts.

His serve is more of a weapon, and his 2nd serve is less attackable.

Sophocles
02-14-2012, 11:54 AM
And he can take time away from his opponents on faster courts. That's generally how he's beaten the Soderlings of this world in the past. Most big hitters like a bit of time to set up their strokes.

MaxPower
02-14-2012, 12:42 PM
low bouncing and fast. The bounce is more relevant than the speed imo.

High bouncing and guys like Delpo, Berdych, Soderling hit the type of forehands Federer got so much problem with from the backhand side. With the higher bounce they also get more time for movement and huge swings and more margin over the net if they want to flatten out shots like the big hitters often do with their backhands.

Low bouncing and fast is perfect for Fed on the other hand. He can take away time and he can get more out of his slice and dropshots. Those type of shots get almost impossible to be aggressive on if they bounce low enough and he can use them to lure big hitters to the net to avoid getting overpowered from the baseline.

Remember how many more points Federer got for free when Wimbledon was still low bouncing and fast? Fed could use his excellent variety both in the serve and in rallies. Now he often gets locked into a power struggle from the baseline with the big hitters and then he gets overpowered, just like Tsonga showed in sets 3,4,5 of Wimbledon 2012 where Fed didn't even get a breakpoint in 3 straight sets

Fumus
02-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Fed's best surface is a fast one. No doubt. Any place where he can hit winners easier it's better. On the slow surfaces shots that were winners come back and then Federror shows up.

Mystique
02-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Federer is a very good Fast court player but people underestimate him on slow surfaces. Okay, nowadays he has declined heavily on the latter, but against the ball bashers, slowness of the court works to his advantage today. Earlier, he used to be able to rip through the ball and inject a lot of pace and easy power to his shots, now he cannot. Also his movement and defence has declined steadily and therefore, on faster HCs against his opponents are capable of hitting through him better. But on a slower court, because of his still superior consistency, he can mix it up and not let them play their natural games easily.
A good example is how he played against Berdych last year in Cincy - the one true fast Outdoors left on tour, and then in Paris - a surface slow as ass.

superandy88
02-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Lowbouncing and fast obviously.
He is one of the best in taking the ball early and taking away time, also the slice would stay way lower and the 1.90m + players wouldn't have the time to strike the ball with accuracy.

Houstonko
02-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Federer didnt decline effectively in fast courts. He went down a notch in slow courts, so fast courts beating those hitters of course. He's beaten Berdych and Tsonga thrice on the indoor season where they just hit big.

Also i think this 2 big hitters play better on fast courts further justify it. Tsong and berdych are killed by errors on slow courts too.