The Davis Cup final ... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The Davis Cup final ...

Pages : [1] 2

Indo
09-28-2002, 09:20 AM
Will be played on clay in Paris Bercy :)

I think clay is a good surface for the French players:)

Do you think Santoro will play the singles because he has a good record against Safin ??? ... i don't know :confused:

Tryphon
09-28-2002, 09:30 AM
I don't know how many matches Clement has won or lost to Safin but yes I think Santoro playing Safin the Friday is a possibility, with Arnaud replacing him to play Kafelnikov on Sunday.
Grosjean would play the 2 other singles.

The doubles would be either Santoro/Llodra or Santoro/Pioline or maybe Escude/Clement, since they are regular partners on tour. Sontoro/Escude sounds more unlikely but who knows.

But it also depends who is going to be in form, playing the best in practice and if anybody gets injured, the choice will be reduced.

Tryphon
09-28-2002, 09:43 AM
Clement/Safin: 0/1 (0/0 on clay)
Clement/Kafelnikov: 3/4 (1/0 on clay)

Santoro/Safin: 6/1 :D (1/0 on clay)
Santoro/Kafelnikov: 0/6 :eek: (0/1 on clay)

Grosjean/Safin: 2/4 (1/1 on clay)
Grosjean/kafelnikov: 2/3 (0/1 on clay)

Just in case:
Escude/Safin: 3/1 (0/0 on clay)
Escude/Kafelnikov: 1/5 (1/0 on clay)

And let's not forget that the Russian team also has Youzhny.

Lindsayfan
09-28-2002, 11:18 AM
Indo,r u a new member?if so,welcome here! :D

Lindsayfan
09-28-2002, 12:57 PM
about final: i would have chosen carpet cos Kafelnikov won RG and Safin played pretty good on clay this year.instead they never played good on carpet.
playing on clay,it means that grosjean and clement will play singles for sure,and maybe santoro will play a single match on sunday-i doubt he'll play on friday cos it would be too tiring for him playing single and double the day after.i dunno who'll be santoro's partner in double since pioline is almost retired and llodra played very bad last week. :rolleyes:

esther
09-29-2002, 05:47 AM
hey why did they choose bercy and not Marseilles? coz seb said before that him and arnaud wanted it to be in Marseilles..

Lindsayfan
09-29-2002, 07:54 AM
also Guy wanted to play in Marseille cos Marseille is his hometown.but Bercy stadium is biggest,so they chose it.

Indo
09-29-2002, 07:57 AM
Yes Lindsay fan, i'm new on this board :) and i'm French ;)

I don't know why they have choosen Paris to play the final...but the reason you mentioned is probably the right one, i think;)
Grosjean was born in Marseille ... it could have been great for him to play there:(

Hello to everybody :D

Lindsayfan
09-29-2002, 01:29 PM
hi Indo,nice to meet you!where do u live in France?i went to Paris last week for Davis Cup semifinal.if u want,u can see my pics on thread called "Lindsayfan's DC pictures" :)

Indo
09-29-2002, 04:29 PM
Hi Lindsayfan :) Nice to meet you :)
I've seen your pics from the Davis Cup, thanks;)
I live in "Besançon", in the region "Franche Comté" ... where do you live ???

ALLEZ LA FRANCE...FOR THE FINAL !!!

Lindsayfan
09-29-2002, 07:20 PM
i live on Mount Everest,Himalaya :D no it's a joke,i live in Sicily,Italy in a town called Catania.i'm a big supporter of french team cos i really like french players,specially ur captain Guy Forget-he used to be my fave player when he was playing,now i like and support some players u can see in my signature.
talk u soon!

ALLEZ LA FRANCE,ALWAYS AND FOREVER! :)

Indo
09-30-2002, 01:15 PM
Hi Lindsayfan:)

I've been once in Italia:D , i have visited Roma and the aera of Napoli and the Vesuvio ... i have some great memories from there :)

I like Guy Forget too...i don't have a lot of memories of him as a tennis player because i wasn't following tennis at that time...i'm a recent tennis fan (2000);)

The others players i like are Corretja, Ferrero, Blake, Roddick, Kuerten, Ivanisevic, Sampras,Gambill and of course the French players !!!
I've noticed that there isn't a lot of Italian players in the top 100 ... tell me if i'm wrong, perhaps i don't know them ;)

"See" you soon ;) :)

Lindsayfan
09-30-2002, 08:21 PM
INDO:unfortunately there arent many italian players in top 100,cos in Italy tennis isnt really loved as in France.people here prefer football and Formula one.we have some good female players,but male we have only Sanguinetti in top 100. :sad:
so you are a very recent fan,i'm a tennis fan since 1991 (when France won Davis Cup ;) ) and like I said Guy was my fave male player,my fave female player is Lindsay Davenport and she'll always be the n.1 in my heart! :hearts:
btw..how old r u?r u male or female?i'm 23 and i'm female.ah..my real name is Valeria,urs?

sorry guys if we talk about personal things and not about tennis,but since no one except me and Indo writes here,we r talking a bit about ourselves ;)

esther
10-01-2002, 04:43 AM
hey u guys! hehe sorry but i think i'm going to butt in..
hi indo! welcome :D would you be able to post nething interviews or news that you hear in french newspapers or tv that other people probably wouldnt hear...like arnaud or seb interviews :P for example or you know like Tryphon quoted Tulasne before about how close arnaud and seb were--nething would be greatly appreciated :D thanks

Lindsayfan
10-01-2002, 01:48 PM
yes it would be great if Indo can tell us what he hears in france about davis cup,and french players in general! :)

Indo
10-01-2002, 04:06 PM
Hi Lindsayfan and Esther :)

I introduce myself : I'm a 21 years old girl, my real name is Maud ;)
Yes i'm a recent tennis fan ;) i like Lindsay too but my favorite female player is Monica Seles :D

I'll try to post some nething for you and tell you all the news i hear in France ;)

Bye;)

Indo
10-01-2002, 04:10 PM
I've found an interview of Guy and Seb from the Davis Cup...but they are in French, i'll post them later ;)...do you understand French guys or should i translate :rolleyes: :p

Lindsayfan
10-01-2002, 07:43 PM
Indo:we (me and Esther) always check FFT site and Yahoo.fr and Sport24 so if ur interviews are from these sites,we already know it :D we meant if you hear something on tv or if you read something in papers (like Tennis Magazine or L'equipe),please post them here!
do you have Msn messenger?if so,we could chat all together.if not,pls download it and chat with us! ;)

esther
10-02-2002, 12:55 PM
indo: yeah especially NEWSPAPERS...newspaper reports on players are usually really interesting...well did i mention i LOVE french (the language)? i've only been learning it for 2 1/2 years so i only know basics but yeah usuually i cant understand when i HEAR seb and arnaud speak coz they speak SOOOOOOOOO fast and its like all slurred together :( so if there's an audio interview i cant understand i coudl ask u to tell me what its about? :)
how did you get your nickname by the way?

lindsay fan (can i just call u valeria????): how did u know i went on those sites too? :)

Lindsayfan
10-02-2002, 01:14 PM
Esther,u must call me Valeria...no,Vale is better! ;)
all fans of french players visit those sites so i thought u should know them,call it "telepathy" ;)

esther
10-03-2002, 08:01 AM
hehe ok *Vale*...ur english is SO good i dont understand how it can be so good! hehe...well yeah ur right.

Lindsayfan
10-03-2002, 10:11 AM
thanks esther! :kiss:

btw...in few minutes we'll know next year Davis Cup draw!ALLEZ LA FRANCE,GET A EASY DRAW!!! :D

Indo
10-03-2002, 02:30 PM
Valeria and Esther : ok, I’ve understood what you both want.
Unfortunately I can’t have MSN and I can’t chat because I’ll pay to much for the internet if do so.
I was surprised because yesterday I saw on TV Guy Forget making an advertisement for rusk:D.
I’ve a French magazine where there is the : Question and Answers game, like favourite animal, colour, car, number, singer, player, film, best/worst memories in tennis … …… : and of course these question are for French players, do you want me to post it ??? … it’s not really an article but it can be funny:D

Esther : There is a French pop/rock group called “Indochine” and I like their songs very much so I choose the first part of the name as a nickname:D

Lindsayfan
10-03-2002, 03:04 PM
please Indo post here this funny questionnaire about french players!! :)
and yes..i've seen Guy's advert for Heudebert rusks! ;)

esther
10-04-2002, 06:00 AM
i've cn that questionaire for arnaud but no one else. who else do they have?
do you know nethign interesting about arnaud and seb's relationship hehe?

esther
10-04-2002, 06:04 AM
France vs Romania first round next year then if they win switzerland/netherlands then they could play australia in the semis....:D

esther
10-04-2002, 06:07 AM
vale: hehe about ur message in general messages...they haven't won TWO in a row yet, let alone 3!!!

Lindsayfan
10-04-2002, 07:35 AM
lmao esther :p

Indo
10-04-2002, 01:30 PM
Arnaud CLEMENT :

-favourite animal: owl
-favourite colour: green
-favourite other sport: mountain bike
-favourite hobby: mountain bike
-favourite car: Ferrari Modena
-favourite number: 7
-favourite drink (in French: ”le demi fraise”) strawberry
-favourite dish: (in French: ”les boulettes de Kefta”)
-favourite singer: Celine Dion, Jean Jacques Goldman
-favourite film: Titanic
-favourite actor: Al Pacino
-favourite actress: Claire Danes
-favourite town: Aix en Provence
-Main faults: disagreeable when is hungry
-Main qualities: fleeting madness
-Best memories in tennis: win over Agassi at USOPEN in 2000
-Worst memories in tennis: loss in the 2nd round in 2000 at the French Open
-Tennis dream: to win the French Open
-favourite male player still playing: Pete Sampras and Michael Llodra
-favourite female player still playing: Camille Pin (his girlfriend)
-favourite ex male player : Jimmy Connors
-favourite ex female player : Steffi Graff
-Person you like the most: Dad, mum, Bruno his brother
-What job would you do if you‘ve never done tennis: singer but I’m hopeless at singing
-What would you take on an desert island: Camille Pin

Cédric Poiline and Fabrice Santoro to come …:) ;)

Indo
10-04-2002, 01:32 PM
Esther: i have nothing yet about Arnaud and Seb's relationships...but if i find i'll tell you ;)

Indo
10-04-2002, 06:33 PM
Fabrice SANTORO

-favourite animal: cat
-favourite colour: black
-favourite other sport: motor sports
-favourite hobby: friends, music and magic
-favourite car: Ferrari
-favourite number: 9
-favourite drink: coca cola with ice cube
-favourite dish: the chicken chikka massala (india)
-favourite singer: Jean Jacques Goldman
-favourite film: Nikita
-favourite actor: Robert de Niro
-favourite actress: Sophie Marceau
-favourite town: Paris
-Main faults: distrust
-Main qualities: perseverance
-Best memories in tennis: win in Lyon in 1997
-Worst memories in tennis: loss of the French team in Davis Cup vs Belgique (97)
-Tennis dream: to win the French Open
-favourite male player still playing: Agassi
-favourite female player still playing: Mauresmo
-favourite ex male player : Edberg
-favourite ex female player : Steffi Graff
-Person you like the most: Girlfriend and sister
-What job would you do if you‘ve never done tennis: work as an estate agent
-What would you take on an desert island: swimsuit
:D ;)

Lindsayfan
10-04-2002, 07:24 PM
lmao@santoro on a desert island and arnaud's fave film..Titanic?!oh no i hated it!!! :p

btw Thanks Indo!i guess there isnt a questionaire to Guy,right? :sad: too bad he's just the captain and he doesnt play anymore!

Lindsayfan
10-04-2002, 07:33 PM
ok guys now u'lk think i'm totally stupid but i want to answer to this questionaire and i hope u'll do the same so we can know better each other! ;)

-favourite animal: cat (i got 3 cats called Lindsay,isabelle and Thibaud)
-favourite colour: blue
-favourite other sport apart from tennis:basketball
-favourite hobby: surfing on the net,going out with my boyfriend
-favourite car: Aston Martin
-favourite number: 8
-favourite drink: coca cola
-favourite dish: nutella's cake
-favourite singer:i dont have one...my fave bands are Sugar Ray and Backstreet Boys
-favourite film: Casablanca (play it again Sam! ;) )
-favourite actor: dont have
-favourite actress: idem
-favourite town: Laguna Beach,California and Geneve,Swiizerland :p
-Main faults: laziness and impatience
-Main qualities: tenderness and sweetness ;)
-Best memories in tennis: Lindsay winning Wimbledon 99
-Worst memories in tennis: Lindsay losing to Venus Us Open final 2000 & France losing to Australia Davis Cup final 99
-Tennis dream:Lindsay to win the French Open!
-favourite male player still playing: i have too much faves
-favourite female player still playing: Lindsay
-favourite ex male player : Guy Forget
-favourite ex female player : no one
-Person you like the most: my boyfriend
-What job would you do if you‘ve never done tennis: i'm not a tennis player so i cant answer
-What would you take on an desert island: satellite dish and pc!

esther
10-05-2002, 01:11 PM
hey guys i posted somethign in seb's thing so go read and reply! :)
lol @ arnaud: disagreable when hungry!!! okies i'll do mine now before doing a lyon thread...oh btw was there no grosjean interview/questionaire?? :(

ESTHER :)
-favourite animal: hmm dog or cat
-favourite colour: purple
-favourite other sport apart from tennis: AFL footy
-favourite hobby: watching TV, movies, talking to friends, talking and watching tennis :)..umm oh and eating!
-favourite car: BMW
-favourite number: 12
-favourite drink: at the moment orange/lime cordial! lol
-favourite dish: vietnamese noodles :) ...or nethign with SEAFOOD
-favourite singer: heaps- killing heidi, kylie minogue, garbage, jamiroquai, the corrs etc etc
-favourite film: dont have one but...Cruel intentions, romeo and juliet, all austin powers movies (ohh did you know that seb was watching austin powers during the Masters cup last year and apparently he couldn't stop laughing thru the whole movie?? lol thats what a commentator said)
-favourite actor: dont have one
-favourite actress: claire danes
-favourite town: MELBOURNE!!!! and prolly paris..marseilles... and yeah geneva when i get there one day! :D
-Main faults: impatience and impulsiveness...and can be quite pessimistic
-Main qualities: generous and i'm a good listener
-Best memories in tennis:
1) Arnaud during aussie open 2001! PLUS his finals speech...:D
2) DAVIS CUP WIN IN 2001!!! of course...
3) hopman cup 2002 with arnaud and razzano during their doubles hehe.
4) Masters cup 2001
-Worst memories in tennis: oh umm...probably adidas 2001 when both arnaud and seb lost first round and arnaud was goign a little crazy on court. also arnaud's famous loss to corretja during RG 2002.
-Tennis dream: Arnaud and Seb to play in the final of the australian open but i couldn't choose who i want to win...AND for them to win the DOUBLES too in the same tournament hehe
-favourite male player still playing: ARNAUD AND SEB obviously
-favourite female player still playing: amanda coetzer
-favourite ex male player : (dunno..prolly guy i guess!)--what about rafter?? i dunno if he's considered an 'ex player' yet but for the moment if he's not coming back he'd be my favourite 'non playing' player!
-favourite ex female player : none
-Person you like the most: hmm i dunno...a lot of my friends! and my family too i guess hehe
-What job would you do if you‘ve never done tennis: well i'm only 15...:D
-What would you take on an desert island: arnaud, seb and my friend who likes them too :D

Indo
10-06-2002, 09:22 AM
Vale and Esther: I don’t have this questionnaire for Guy and Seb unfortunately but I’ll post later the one for Pioline.
I’ll answer to it later because I don’t have enough time now
;)

esther
10-06-2002, 10:42 AM
okies you don't hafta worry about Pioline's unless you want to coz i know Vale doesnt really like him and neither do i...but u can post it if u want to!

Indo
10-06-2002, 12:56 PM
If you don't like Pioline, here is mine:

-favourite animal: dog
-favourite colour: blue, violet
-favourite other sport: cycling
-favourite hobby: puzzle, music
-favourite car: --
-favourite number: 14
-favourite drink: Gini
-favourite dish: coq au vin
-favourite singer: Madonna, Cranberries, Enigma, Depeche Mode
-favourite film: le diner de cons
-favourite actor: Tom Hanks
-favourite actress: Michelle Pfeiffer
-favourite town: --
-Main faults: too shy,impulsive
-Main qualities: modesty, honesty
-Best memories in tennis: last summer when Monica beat Serena, Capriati and Hingis, DC 2001, Aus open 2000(Seb and Arnaud)
-Worst memories in tennis: Monica losing in 1/16 at the usopen in 2001 and this year in 1/8 at Wimbledon
-Tennis dream: --
-favourite male player still playing: Seb
-favourite female player still playing: Seles
-favourite ex male player : Rafter
-favourite ex female player : Sabatini
-Person you like the most: mum, dad
-What job would you do if you‘ve never done tennis: teacher
-What would you take on an desert island: tennis racket and a ball...:D ;)

esther
10-07-2002, 08:17 AM
indo: for best memories in tennis, do u mean aus open 2001?

Indo
10-07-2002, 11:38 AM
it was in 2001, sorry, you're right:D

esther
10-08-2002, 10:44 AM
hehe :D

Lindsayfan
10-12-2002, 08:02 AM
Indo u r so sweet telling that persons u like most are ur parents! :kiss:
i like my parents,specially my dad,but they arent the persons i like most! :o :p

esther
10-13-2002, 12:08 AM
indo- dont u have a tennis dream??? what about france winning DC again? :P

Lindsayfan
10-13-2002, 09:09 AM
yes it would great,Esther!but i still prefer to see Lindsay winning an other Slam... :p

Indo
10-13-2002, 03:29 PM
Hi !!!
Yes, of course i would like that France wins DC again but i prefer Monica Seles winning a Slam:rolleyes:.

Lindsayfan
10-13-2002, 05:07 PM
Indo,i understand u very well... :sad: pls an other Slam for Lindsay and monica!

esther
10-14-2002, 06:51 AM
put it in then!

Lindsayfan
11-04-2002, 09:28 PM
a big bump to this thread!season is over and Dc is coming!

ALLEZ LA FRANCE!!WIN UR SECOND DAVIS CUP IN A ROW!! :D

esther
11-05-2002, 12:12 AM
---on the way to winning 3 in a row!!!! hehe

Marilyn
11-05-2002, 11:27 AM
Go France :D :D :D

Lindsayfan
11-08-2002, 09:39 PM
do u know when team will be named?i only know that stage of preparation will start on 17 November in Royan,but players will be named at least one week before i guess...

esther
11-09-2002, 01:32 AM
they start training on the 17th?? they've having a huge break until then!

Lindsayfan
11-09-2002, 09:28 AM
yes,they need to rest a lot before a big effort like DC will be! ;)
u know they practise really hard for DC,i saw them in Paris and i was shocked how hard they trained :eek:

esther
11-10-2002, 10:03 AM
hehe yeah...they always put their heart and soul into davis cup--must be really motivated by Guy though--he looks like he'd make them train really hard!

Lindsayfan
11-11-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by esther
hehe yeah...they always put their heart and soul into davis cup--must be really motivated by Guy though--he looks like he'd make them train really hard!

ditto! :cool:

esther
11-13-2002, 04:19 AM
ohh i wish it would just hurry up and start!! its so boring with no frenchies playing atm

Marilyn
11-13-2002, 05:10 AM
:sad: exactly, feels like lacking something :(

Lindsayfan
11-13-2002, 12:09 PM
yeah,i feel so empty! :( fortunately french stage starts on 17 november.we'll have lots of news and articles since next monday ;)

btw i'm still waiting that Mr Guy Forget says who'll be part of team... :fiery:

esther
11-14-2002, 04:25 AM
hehe but at least i havent been getting TOO distracted-my exams start on wednesday!!!!! :(
lol 'MR guy forget'...yeah well if neone hears any news post it coz i'm not checking sites atm.

did u guys hear about roddick and mandy moore? thats gross!!

Lindsayfan
11-14-2002, 07:26 AM
yes i've heard about Andy and Mandy but honestly i dont know her...she isnt famous at all here in Italy :p

I could phone Guy and ask him who's in the team :o

Marilyn
11-14-2002, 04:00 PM
No need to call Guy now, Vale, he told the press :p (:o you can still pretend that you don't know ;) )

http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/021114/5/2uig0.html
The five musketeers chosen for the training course by Guy are Seb, Nico, Arnaud, Fab and Paul-Henri :D
Guy will make the final decision next week :)

Lindsayfan
11-14-2002, 08:40 PM
thanks Marilyn!i'm not surprised by this selection cos Llodra played really bad in semifinal against Usa-on the other side,Nico played very well with Fab in Madrid and in Bercy so this performance convinced Guy to name Nico instead of Mika.
i'm glad Paulo recovered from his injury and is part of the team.now the question is: who'll play singles?Seb is untouchable (?) so who'll play the second single...Arnaud or Paulo?
we'll know it the day of the draw.usually Guy says to players who is going to play on tuesday night,but he makes it public the day of draw (on thursday) so we have to wait until 28 november. :(

Lindsayfan
11-14-2002, 08:55 PM
stage will start on 17 november in Royan,France.they'll be practising at ROC GARDEN Tennis Club, where they have warm courts.team will be located at Novotel.if someone lives close there and wants to go to meet the team... :o ;)

esther
11-15-2002, 07:17 AM
lol how do you know they're staying at novotel vale?! btw i love that song too!! omg if arnaud doesnt play the final AGAIN i'd cry!!! i think i've already said that...hehe but itd be sooooooo sad...hed be so upset to be left out again two years in a row...

esther
11-15-2002, 07:19 AM
wonder if tryphon can go...:S

Lindsayfan
11-15-2002, 10:11 AM
usually they say what's their hotel on FFT site.i met Guy at his hotel in paris,u know.
i agree with you about Arnaud.if he wont play again,it would be so awful!but Guy has to choose the best player,so if he thinks Mathieu is in a better shape,he'll pick Mathieu.of course i'd like to see Arnaud playing.

Lindsayfan
11-15-2002, 12:17 PM
Here the rules for team-nomination:

"Under Davis Cup rules, teams must nominate their official four-man team at least ten days before a tie, in this case by Tuesday 19 November. Up to two nominations may then be changed up to an hour before the draw, which will take place on Thursday 28 November"

esther
11-16-2002, 05:00 AM
yeah i know that Guy will pick whoevers playign better by then but but but you knowwww!! he'd be heartbroken and even mathieu IS playing better in training leading up to that week, you never know in DC! seb was playing sooooo well during TMC and then he lost both his matches so you really never know...but yeah i know Guy will make the right decision for the team!

esther
11-16-2002, 05:01 AM
ohhh--i wish they'd tell us what hotel they stay in during Aussie open...then i could go stalk them hehe

Lindsayfan
11-16-2002, 08:40 AM
esther,u could stalk them in DC final 2001,they stayed in Melbourne for about 2 weeks! :eek:
plus in Melbourne they went 2 or 3 times for dinner at "France soir" restaurant and they trained at Kooyong...u met them,i hope! ;)

Lindsayfan
11-16-2002, 08:55 AM
Forget : « J’ai choisi les plus performants »
15 novembre 2002 - Thomas THEATE

Guy Forget a révélé l'identité des cinq joueurs qui participeront au stage de Royan (du 17 novembre au soir au 24). Arnaud Clément, Nicolas Escudé, Sébastien Grosjean, Paul-Henri Mathieu et Fabrice Santoro sont les heureux élus. Le capitaine français devra ensuite trancher afin de ne retenir que quatre joueurs pour la finale face à la Russie.

Paul-Henri Mathieu a finalement été choisi et Mickaël Llodra disparaît du groupe France.
C’est un choix qui a été difficile à faire par rapport à beaucoup de ces garçons. Le choix de Paul-Henri Mathieu était bien sûr lié à sa blessure. J’ai vu beaucoup de bonnes choses à Bercy en simple et en double et aujourd’hui je veux préparer les garçons qui ont le plus de chances de rapporter un point à l’équipe. J’ai hésité à partir à six parce qu’à Bercy, lors de notre stage de préparation, on a à disposition seulement deux courts.

Vous avez souhaité vous concentrer sur cinq joueurs pour ne pas vous disperser ?
On était six lors de la dernière rencontre face aux Etats-Unis parce que justement on avait trois courts, a chaque fois on pouvait s’entraîner. Et par rapport à ça, on a connu des soucis d’entraînement parce qu’il fallait que l’on se dispatche avec Thierry (Tulasne) car il fallait que l’on soit sur trois courts en permanence.

Les médecins vous ont rassuré sur l’état de Santé de Paul-Henri ?
Oui, le problème c’est qu’aujourd’hui le médecin vient de faire un ensemble de tests qui sont plutôt positifs, sa douleur évolue dans le bon sens. Maintenant, les joueurs ont l’air d’être en forme, sont tous bien reposés, Paul-Henri le premier. A partir du moment où j’ai l’aval du médecin, je crois que l’on peut de toute évidence être optimiste. Je prends cinq joueurs qui sont tous capables de jouer en simple, il y en a au moins trois qui savent jouer en double. J’ai choisi les joueurs les plus performants, ceux qui à mon avis ont le plus de chance de rapporter des points.

Votre choix apparaît comme des plus logique…
Je pense effectivement que c’est un choix logique. Les gens s’attendaient plus ou moins à cela. Les derniers résultats parlent d’eux-mêmes. Maintenant, on verra bien selon les entraînements et j’espère bien observer d’autres choses positives. On effectue un gros boulot avec tous les joueurs et puis après, il faut aller gagner les matches. C’est un petit peu secondaire les choix que l’on peut faire, il y des joueurs qui arrivent, d’autres qui partent, on a vu par le passé que ce n’est pas toujours les même qui ont joué.

La victoire à Bercy de la paire Escudé-Santoro est-elle à l’origine de la non sélection de Mickaël Llodra pour ce stage de préparation ?
Ce n’est pas impossible. Là encore, il faut faire ses preuves à l’entraînement et arriver à être en forme le jour J et ça, j’espère que les uns, les autres vont me montrer des choses positives. Il m’arrive souvent à l’entraînement d’avoir plutôt une idée en faveur de l’un plus que de l’autre et puis de voir aussi des fois un retournement de situation dans la mesure où les joueurs sont sensiblement du même niveau.

Ce sera en fonction de l’instinct du moment

Vous partez dans quelques jours à Royan, vous allez commencer tout de suite la préparation mentale de l’événement ?
On va aller crescendo, on a le temps. On va se donner les moyens de bien jouer.

Vous avez jeté un œil du côté de Shanghai avec un Safin qui joue beaucoup en ce moment ?
Oui, il joue beaucoup mais vous savez, pour moi, cela n’a pas une réelle importance. Je reste concentré sur l’objectif alors que l’on va jouer des joueurs qui vont être en forme et qui, à mon avis, vont être à leur meilleur niveau le jour de la finale, tout comme nous.

Et la possibilité de faire jouer Fabrice Santoro en simple face à Safin ?
C’est une des possibilités. Safin sait qu’il n’aime pas jouer contre Fabrice qui l’a battu la dernière fois ! Il faut être en forme à ce moment là, j’ai besoin de Fabrice aussi en double. On va travailler de toute façon les deux disciplines et puis on verra bien à l’arrivée qui se détache, qui joue le mieux. Ce sera, comme je l’ai toujours fait, en fonction de l’instinct du moment.

Vous partez quand même à Royan avec une idée précise de la configuration des quatre joueurs qui seront alignés face à la Russie ?
Pas précise, non. Une idée, mais j’espère que tout ça va se confirmer au cours du stage et que les gars vont montrer leurs meilleurs visages à l’entraînement, qu’ils vont progresser, parce que j’attends des joueurs en grande forme pour battre les Russes.
-------------------------------------------

Sorry but today i'm too lazy to translate it!btw its not very difficult to understand! ;)

esther
11-18-2002, 06:36 AM
ohhhhhh nooooo...i can't believe how badly i didn't take advantage of france playing australia in the freaking DAVIS CUP FINAL last year!!!! if it wasn't for exams i would have seriously stalked them but i couldn't...i didn't know that that's where they ate and the public would'nt have been allowed to see them train i don't think anyway...lol i can't believe you know all that information and you live like miles away!!...oh well no point sulking about that now...:(

heres a translation of that interview:

Forget: « I chose the most performance
15 November 2002 - Thomas THEATE

Guy Forget revealed the identity of the five players that will participate in the training in Royan (November 17 to the 24). Arnaud Clement, Nicolas Escudé, Sébastien Grosjean, Paul-Henri Mathieu and Fabrice Santoro are the happy ones elected. The French captain next will have to split in order to keep only four players for the final one facing Russia.

Paul-Henri Mathieu finally was chosen and Mickaël Llodra disappears from the group France.

This is a choice that was difficult to do in comparison with a lot of these boys. The choice Paul-Henri Mathieu was of course linked to his injury. I saw a lot of good things to Bercy in simple and some doubles and today I want to prepare the boys that have the more of lucks to retrieve a point to the team. I hesitated to leave for six because of Bercy, at the time of our preparation training, one has at disposal only two short ones.

You wished to concentrate on five players for not to disperse you?

One was six at the time of the last encounter facing the United States because exactly one had three short ones, has every time one could train. And in comparison with that, one knew entraînement concerns because it was necessary that one oneself dispatche with Thierry (Tulasne) for it was necessary that one be on three short ones in permanence.

The doctors reassured you on the Health state of Paul-Henri?

Yes, the problem this is that today the doctor has just done a body of tests that are rather positive, his pain evolves in the good direction. Now, the players seem to be in forms, are all goods rested, paul-henri the first one. From the moment where I have the downhill one doctor, I believe that one can quite obviously be optimistic. I take five players that are all able to play in singles, there are some at least three that know to play some doubles. I chose the players more performance, those that in my opinion have the more of luck to retrieve points.

Your choice appears as more logics…

I think effectively that this is a logical choice. The people expected more or less thereto. The last results talk about themselves. Now, one will see well according to the entraînements and I hope well to observe positive something else. One effectuates a big tubby one with all the players and then after, it is necessary to be going to win the matches. This is a small one not very secondary the choices that one can do, it there players that arrive, of others that leave, one saw by the passed that this always is not them even that played.

The victory to Bercy of the pair escudé-santoro is she to the origin of the non-selection of Mickaël Llodra for this preparation training?

This is not impossible. There again, it is necessary to do its proofs to the entraînement and arrive to be in forms the day J'S and that, I hope that the a, the others will show me positive things. It arrives me often to the entraînement to have rather an idea in the one favor more than of the other and then to see also sometimes a position retournement in the measure where the players are noticeably of the same level.

This will be according to the instinct of the moment

You leave in some days to Royan, you will begin right away the mental preparation of the event?

One will go crescendo, one has the time. One will give oneself the means of well to play.

You threw a œil side of Shanghai with a Safin that plays a lot in this moment?

Yes, it plays a lot but you know, for me, that has not a real importance. I remain concentrating on the objective while one will play the players that will be in forms and that, in my opinion, will be to their better level the day of the final one, just as we.

And the possibility to do to play Fabrice Santoro in single facing Safin?

This is one of the possibilities. Safin knows that it does not like to play against Fabrice that the beat the last time! It is necessary to be in forms at that very moment, I need Fabrice also some doubles. One will work in any case the two disciplines and then one will see well to the arrival that detaches itself, that plays the better. This will be, as I always did it, according to the instinct of the moment.

You leave when even to Royan with an idea specifies configuration of the four players that will be aligned facing Russia?

Does not specify, no. An idea, but I hope that all that will confirm itself during the course of training and that the guys will show their better faces to the entraînement, than they will progress, because I await players in big form to beat the Russians.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lindsayfan
11-18-2002, 01:29 PM
Nico and Guy :drool: in Royan-first day of training!

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021118/sge.rat51.181102120156.photo00.default-384x290.jpg

Lindsayfan
11-18-2002, 01:30 PM
Arnaud and Nico!

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021118/sge.rav13.181102120846.photo00.default-384x330.jpg

Lindsayfan
11-18-2002, 01:32 PM
french team working hard!

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021118/sge.rar19.181102115357.photo00.default-384x222.jpg

Lindsayfan
11-18-2002, 01:33 PM
Seb and Nico!

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021118/sge.rao09.181102114045.photo00.default-296x384.jpg

Lindsayfan
11-18-2002, 05:36 PM
Guy interview (taken today,18 november) for once a not boring interview! ;)

Q: Guy, which impressions leave you your players these last weeks?

The assessment is rather positive, whether it is into simple or double. I saw very good things, few bad. I was optimistic before the tournament of Bercy and I left the POPB while being to it very as much.

Q: Guy, You know your players very well. Did you still learn from the things on them at the time of a tournament like BNP Paribas Masters?

Of course, I saw new things with Bercy! I saw a Sebastien Grosjean more offensive. I saw new compositions of double with sequences which I liked, of the very interesting things. Thus yes, I learned still much.

Q: How do you explain the good results of your players these last weeks? Can one speak about effect Coupe Davis?

Partly. I think that the carrot of the Davis Cup at the end of the season is something of positive for them. They want really to deserve their place and to put the maximum of confidence on their side. I as believe, to return to the performances of Sebastien Grosjean to Saint-Péterbourg, or Fabrice Santoro in Madrid, as they are boys who, today, are at the top of their game. They are complete, have retreat, experiment. They are morally rather sure them and that is seen, that pays in match. As for Paul-Henri Mathieu, it is the explosion of a young talent until one waits for a long time. There, it is appearing in a way crashing to pieces at the great day. For Nicolas Escudé, it is some formidable share which it made a success of in Bercy, because it is a manner for him of finding the confidence which was perhaps lacking to him, following its wound with the abdominal ones. The victories which it obtained with the POPB are likely to completely reassure him on his level of play.

Q: The other side of the coin is that they played all much lately. Don't you fear that they are somewhat blunted?

At all, because I believe that there is a very good timing. None of them disputes Masters. Egoistically, compared to "my" Cup Davis, finally rather compared to my team, I would say that it is a good. They played all much, but they could profit, after Bercy, of time to be on holiday and nothing to make whole, to put the racket on side and ressourcer as well physically as morally. Following that, they could take again the drive on their premises, quietly, to crescendo give the foot to the clamp and to tackle the training course of preparation while being to block from all points of view. Thus on the contrary, I believe that the timing is really very, very good.

Q: The choice of surface for the final seemed very delicate. Is this the most difficult choice that you had to carry out since you are a captain?

Not. On each meeting, I have choices difficult to carry out. It is that there, surface was not obvious to choose, precisely because owing to the fact that there is in our team of the boys with very different styles of play and who take a lead in very diverse surfaces. For a given moment, it was necessary to slice and the majority of the players had profit of cause. While knowing that the Russians will be probably less dangerous on clay than on hard.

Q: Did you have to slice personally?

With final, it is me which announces it, but they are the players who are concerned. These is thus the choice and their decision which are most significant, not mine.

Q:Since announced it to you, you regretted, would be this only one time, this choice of the beaten ground?

At all!

Q: Contrary to last year, you will dispute the final in France. The pressure to be supported will be much more significant. Isn't this a handicap?
To play home has advantages and disadvantages, as well as playing outside. The advantage which one has today is that one will have the public behind us, but also that one disputed the three preceding meetings on our premises. One thus grew louder and louder with this public! One cannot say only one is likely to be caught a cold shower, because of a contrast which would put pressure to us. Not, one plays like that since the beginning of the season, it is rather positive.

Q: How will you protect your team from this pressure?

I believe that I do not need to protect it. This team is autonomous, each one knows what it has to do, each one has its place, all the roles are well defined. As for the media pressure, it is good, necessary to the stake. It contributes to the fact that the boys will transcend themselves, to produce a very good tennis. They will be some share in their bubble to optimize their play and their qualities, but they are completely serene. They have trade. All!

Q: Do you have already a precise idea of the team which you will align?

Not, I have images, I think of things which could go. But I did not stop my choices. I will not lie you, my team is already made to 90 % :eek:

Q: you play on clay,so it means that Escude wont play single

Nicolas Escudé has thus very, very few chances to be retained into simple. If I had chosen a fast surface, that would have been the surface of Nicolas above all. Thus the miracle solution does not exist. Most significant will be the capacity of the ones and others to produce their best tennis of Friday at Sunday. It is what that one will gain or lose this meeting. Surface is not, in fact, that a detail.

Q: Where are you of your experiments in double?

I had five players in quarterfinals in Bercy! And three in the final! It is an assessment than positive more. I will not complain. My team however is not made yet.

Q: Were you surprised by some players?

Not surprised because I know their intrinsic value. But to see, in new teams, the quality of play which they were able to produce, it is very encouraging for the continuation. Not only for the final against the Russians, but also for next year.

Q: what do you think of the Russians?

They are players stronger than us on paper. They have a more eloquent prize list and are able, I think, to beat us with regular on all surfaces. Now, to make the perfect meeting of A to Z, knowing that there will be five matches to play, and that physical freshness will have its word to say, that Kafelnikov had very poor results on clay these three last years, it will not be obvious for them. The probability of seeing the Russians carrying out the perfect match is thus weak! If, contrary, on our side, one makes a match meticulous person, one arrives at our signal, one must be able well to annoy them, even to beat them. One will do everything so that that occurs like that.

Q: Did you already notice weaknesses at your adversaries?

Yes, of course! Not much because it is nevertheless not of Charlots! But I detected axes of work. In Bercy, I even saw gaps in the play of Safin, of the things which one will exploit.

Q:Do you have the feeling which the Russian team is strongest that you had to face under your capitanat?

Not, I do not think who it is stronger than Australia last year. I think that that will be the same style of meeting as in Melbourne. If one wants to beat the Russians in Paris, it same tennis should be produced. But the ball is in our camp, more than in theirs. The meeting will rest above all on our forces.

Q:a thought about Llodra?

I've phoned him 3 days ago and he found my selection logic.there are no faves here,it plays who deserves it.

Lindsayfan
11-18-2002, 05:55 PM
from Fabrice's interview (very funny!):

Q: the choice of surface was very difficult to take...
Fabrice: Guy Forget asked me 3 questions: 1)what surface u would play double? i said "hardcourt" 2)what surface u think u r able to beat Safin on? i said "hardcourt" 3) what surface u would play the final on? i said... clay! LOL :D

Lindsayfan
11-18-2002, 08:10 PM
where are Marilyn and Tryphon?i miss u girls!pls write here again..we need ur support! ;)

an other pic! :bounce:

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021118/sge.rdg94.181102161552.photo00.default-384x253.jpg

Marilyn
11-19-2002, 07:08 AM
:wavey: hey i'm here :D Thanks for the interviews and the pics!
What!? Is that Seb in the last pic!? :eek: I'm sure it's just because of the angle ;)

Lindsayfan
11-19-2002, 09:01 AM
Seb is the first on left!he looks fat in this pic! :p

Lindsayfan
11-19-2002, 10:46 AM
r they stretching or praying God to make them win the DC again? :p

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021119/sge.rjl74.191102104456.photo00.default-384x293.jpg

Lindsayfan
11-19-2002, 10:57 AM
Paulo...will he play singles instead of Arnaud? :confused:

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021119/sge.rjz52.191102112744.photo00.default-384x256.jpg

Marilyn
11-19-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Lindsayfan
r they stretching or praying God to make them win the DC again? :p

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021119/sge.rjl74.191102104456.photo00.default-384x293.jpg
LMAO!
It's Voodoo!
The French Team is going to win ;)

Marilyn
11-19-2002, 03:34 PM
The final nomination:
Seb, Arnaud, Fab and Nico :D
I'm sure Paulo will make it next year :)

French Make Final Nominations

http://www.daviscup.org/scripts/dcpage.dll?pid=115&nid=4139&org=105&

The French Tennis Federation has nominated its team for the final of the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas against Russia.

The four nominations are as follows:

Sebastien Grosjean
Arnaud Clement
Nicolas Escude
Fabrice Santoro

Captain: Guy Forget

The Russian team, announced last week, is as follows:

Marat Safin
Yevgeny Kafelnikov
Mikhail Youzhny
Andrei Stoliarov

Captain: Shamil Tarpischev

The final will be played November 29 to December 1 at the Palais Omnisports Paris Bercy, on an indoor clay court.

A squad of five French players is currently attending a training camp at the Roc Garden Tennis Club in Royan, and consists of the four players nominated plus Paul-Henri Mathieu. The squad will remain in Royan until Sunday, and then will continue training at the Palais Omnisports Paris Bercy on Monday 25 November.

Under Davis Cup rules, teams must nominate their official four-man team at least ten days before a tie, in this case by Tuesday 19 November. Up to two nominations may then be changed up to an hour before the draw, which will take place at 12 noon (11.00 GMT) on Thursday 28 November.

The Russian team, is currently training in Monte Carlo but will also train at Bercy from Monday.

Lindsayfan
11-19-2002, 05:57 PM
nope Marilyn,this list isnt definitive yet!Guy can always change his team until 1 hour before the draw (on 28 november at 11 am CET).if Mathieu will recover well,he has a chance to play as well as Arnaud! ;)

Marilyn
11-19-2002, 06:42 PM
oh i see, anyway i'd have a headache choosing if I were Guy :p

Lindsayfan
11-19-2002, 07:20 PM
Tulasne just confirmed it: Seb will play for sure,and also Fabrice/Nico in double r sure to play.the only doubt is between Paulo and Arnaud.Arnaud has a little problem in his right wrist but it's just tendinitis so not serious.TOUGH CHOICE!!! :rolleyes:

Lindsayfan
11-19-2002, 08:29 PM
Arnaud

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021119/sge.rjv90.191102111402.photo00.default-384x281.jpg

Fab and Guy ;)
during Fab's training,he missed a volley and his racquet did fly over Guy's head! LOL

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021119/sge.rka08.191102113059.photo00.default-301x384.jpg

esther
11-20-2002, 09:30 AM
omg vale, u have done so much in two days!!! u've saved me so much time so i didnt have to go check out sites myself.
okies well:

that pic of horse and seb is so cute!! the ball that SEb is holding looks like a aussie football...coz its red and oval which is really weird that he would have one.

yeah u guys took the words right out of my mouth about the group pic where seb looks really pudgy...:) but he looks so happy!!!!!!!! aww....:D

omg that praying picture is SO funny! i sent a lot of the pics to this girl i'm chatting to atm on msn and she can't stop laughing hehe. that is so weird...it seriously looks like they are trying to pray to god...:)

arnaud looks really weird in that last pic dont you think?? yeah but arnaud has had that wrist problem for AGESSSSSSS!!! he's had it since like...wimbledon or something!! awwwwwww ARNAUD HAS GOOTTTTTTAAAA play!!! he just HAS to!!! i'll be complaining until next year if he doesnt...:P welll i guess it's good that seb has being confirmed tho anyway but itd be perfect if it coudl be arnaud and seb in SINGLES and fab and horse in DOUBLES...

esther
11-20-2002, 09:34 AM
oh btw, with the praying pic do u know who's who??
the only ones i can make out are:
GUY the first full person on the left, then SEB, and is that arnaud on the far right? who are the others? okay back to studying *sigh*

Lindsayfan
11-20-2002, 10:42 AM
praying pic: Guy is the one with white cap,then Seb,then Arnaud-then Raoux,the one on the back is Santoro-dunno about the others! ;)

Tryphon
11-20-2002, 11:24 AM
Hey Val did you read that people are allowed to assist to the training? :confused: clapping when they do well. :D
You were really unlucky that the training in Versailles was private. :mad:

Also, Arnaud is going to be the godfather of Tom, Seb's baby. :cool:
(just like Yannick Noah is the godfather of Mathieu, Guy's first son!) ;)

Marilyn
11-20-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Tryphon
Also, Arnaud is going to be the godfather of Tom, Seb's baby. :cool:
(just like Yannick Noah is the godfather of Mathieu, Guy's first son!) ;)

:) :) :)

Lindsayfan
11-20-2002, 04:01 PM
yes i've read it and i expected it cos my friends were allowed to watch practsing in Metz (first round of DC) and also in Pau (quarterfinal).but u can be sure that when they'll practise in Bercy next monday,no one will be allowed. :rolleyes:

a pic of Seb and Nico!

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/ap_photo/20021120/all/l679125.jpg

Lindsayfan
11-20-2002, 04:03 PM
Fab,Nico and Guy! :)

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021120/sge.rwt12.201102161337.photo00.default-384x275.jpg

Lindsayfan
11-20-2002, 04:05 PM
Seb and Paulo: autograph session!

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021120/sge.rva86.201102134447.photo00.default-384x260.jpg

Lindsayfan
11-20-2002, 04:07 PM
Seb and Arnaud! :)

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021120/sge.rxa05.201102163524.photo00.default-315x384.jpg

Lindsayfan
11-20-2002, 04:14 PM
french players practise with jerseys of national football team and they put on every jersey a funny name based on the movie "asterix and obelix" (an idiot movie,really!).
"Rusix" for Grosjean, "Rapidix" for Clément, "Surfix" for Escudé, "Magix" for Santoro, "Fourbix" for Mathieu et "Captainix" for Guy Forget.
LOL SO FUNNY!! :D

Lindsayfan
11-20-2002, 08:19 PM
apparently the choice of second single player isnt only between Clement and Mathieu,but also Santoro has a chance to play in singles!!

"The question is which bet I want to make?", Guy Forget declared. "the bet of the audacity, ardour, with Paul-Henri Mathieu? The bet of the experience with Arnaud Clément, craftsman of all the victories? I know for example that it is necessary to go five times on Arnaud to beat it. Or then, I launch Fabrice Santoro for his strategic side, because I think that it can make unscrew in his head a guy like (Marat) Safin"
"I hear sometimes that Paul-Henri is three times stronger than Arnaud Clément, I do not agree. Potentially, ' Paulo' has a more significant margin. If it is in one ostentation day, it can put the bar higher, but I also know that Arnaud will not go down below a certain level play."

-please can u all tell ur opinion?who should play singles (apart from Seb) ?

patrftfanatic
11-21-2002, 01:52 AM
I'm new to this site pretty much. I came here thru Esther. Anyway, I was looking thru y'all's posts and pics, they are great! Where did you get the pics for the training and stuff? They all look adorable! There's just sth about men working out lol I guess! :p :drool:
BTW, how did you guyz know about Arnaud being Seb's baby's godfather? How old is Tom actually? Got any pics of Seb's family??? :o
To answer your question, because Arnaud is one of my favourite players, I of course would love to see Arnaud picked as the singles player alongside Seb, esp cuz last yr he got "left out" fr the team, as grass is definitely not Arnaud's strong surface! :(
But of course, we'd have to consider who's really on form. The dangerous thing about picking Arnaud is that he can get a slow start to a match, a tendency he's done in five-set matches. Also, he's sorta injured, so of course there's the risk. But Arnaud is very quick and has a big fighting spirit when he's on it, so I truly that Arnaud can keep his head together and focus fr the beginning! :angel:
On the other hand, I dont' think Guy should choose Fabrice, cuz Fabrice is his main tour for doubles and if Fabrice play both singles and doubles it won't be too good, cuz he'd be tired. Of course, Fabrice might as well continue his winning streak against Safin, but Safin's attitude might be different in a DC match? I dunno, cuz I have never seen him play a DC match personally, but.... As for Mathieu, Guy's risking even more injury issue than Arnaud in my opinion, so.....! Basically, I saw stick to Arnaud! Esp cuz he did actually quite well in RG despite losing to Alex! But u know, Alex is an excellent claycourter and welll....gotta let that go. :bounce:

Samantha :wavey:

PS: BTW, was Arnaud being Seb's baby Tom's godfather an old news? If not, then this is the newest evident that Seb and Arnaud are still very good friends indeed and so u shouldn't worry! :D

Lindsayfan
11-21-2002, 08:42 AM
welcome here patrftfanatic! :bounce: we r very happy to find new fans of french players! :)
my name is Valeria,my nickname is Lindsayfan cos i adore Lindsay Davenport ;) but i also adore french players!i dont live in france as u see in my profile,i wish i lived in Royan!LOL :p i'm from Italy :rolleyes: and i'm 23!
pics r taken from yahoo.fr in the sport section.news about Arnaud being Tom's godfather is taken from fft.fr site,the official site of french federation.Tom is supposed to be 5 months,and i dont have a pic of him. :(

Marilyn
11-21-2002, 11:42 AM
hey hey patrftfanatic welcome! :wavey: :wavey: I'm Marilyn from Taiwan :)
As for my opinion for the DC singles, I think Guy should choose Arnaud :) Paulo can wait until next year :o and Fab would be too tired, like patrftfanatic said ;)

Lindsayfan
11-21-2002, 07:06 PM
Arnaud and Nico playing golf!

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021121/sge.shx80.211102163003.photo00.default-384x270.jpg

Guy playing tennis-balloon (as they call this weird game!)

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021121/sge.sii98.211102170343.photo00.default-267x384.jpg

Lindsayfan
11-21-2002, 07:16 PM
french players didnt practise on wednesday,they had a day off!In the afternoon, Escudé and Clément left to play golf in company of the intendant Guillaume Raoux and of kiné Christophe Ceccaldi. The other members of the team of France intended to go to the cinema to see the last James Bond, "Die another day". "It appears that it is not very cerebral", Tulasne continued. At the end of the day, the players could slacken in the swimming pool with sea water of their hotel and profit then from care and massages before going to lie down, early, to be of attack Friday, departure of a new intensive phase. .The French players will start to dispute sets Friday and Saturday, but confrontations in four or five handles, in particular to determine the second man for the simple ones, will begin only Monday in Bercy. "Guy will then see the physical form of each one, the degree of confidence", added the trainer. "But attention, it is not inevitably that which will gain the matches Monday-Tuesday which will play finally."

esther
11-22-2002, 07:36 AM
HEY SAMANTHA!!!! :wavey:
hehe was that PS. msg to me? :P

omg thats so great that arnaud's gonna be tom's godfather!!!! thats soooooooooooooooooo sweeeet!!!!

lol @ at pic of horse and arnaud playign golf...arnaud HATES golf...doesnt he look like he's annoyed at that pic? he had that face on in that other pic...the DC draw one.

i'm sure everyone knows what my view of who should play singles along with Seb is...but yeah i'm sure Guy will make the right choice but i'd still die if arnaud didnt get picked. they seem to be having so much fun in their training! :) would they have cn die another day in english or a french translated one?

one more week to go..!!

esther
11-22-2002, 07:38 AM
oh btw how cute was the pic with paulo and seb with both their caps back to front?! awwww...

esther
11-22-2002, 08:29 AM
hey would neone be able to post the article about arnaud godfathering toM?
i only saw a bit on the sporeover site:

'arnaud clement parrain du deuxieme enfant de 'Seb'
seb grosjean a demande a son pote arnaud clement d'etre le parrain de son deuxieme enfant tom, ne au mois de juillet. tres touche par la preposition, clement accepte'

:) dont u think its weird that they told the media? considering how private seb is about his family life and stuf.

Lindsayfan
11-22-2002, 09:41 AM
french version of Die another day,i translated the article from french with babelfish!i dont have other news on Arnaud's godfathering Tom,sorry.

I think Arnaud should play along with Seb cos he has more experience than Paulo and he knows how to handle the pressure and how play the big points!

Lindsayfan
11-22-2002, 10:55 AM
players were interviewed by a reporter of RTL,and she asked a small version of Proust questionnaire.with the question "If you were a woman", the men married, after blackberry reflexion, have all answered "My wife". at the question "If you were an animal", Nicolas Escudé answered a bear. Know why... Lastly, the journalist wished to know with when the last tears of our tennismen went up. A subject very intimist who made a paperboard.

if someone finds more news on this questionnaire,pls post it here cos i'm very curious to read all the Q&A!!

Seb and Nico

http://www.fft.fr/evenements2002/FINALE-COUPE-DAVIS/photos/scudgrosjean2111.jpg

Arnaud!so funny!

http://www.fft.fr/evenements2002/FINALE-COUPE-DAVIS/photos/clementgolf2111.jpg

Marilyn
11-22-2002, 02:37 PM
lol these pics are too cute! I'd like to know more about the Q&A as well! ;)

Marilyn
11-22-2002, 03:13 PM
more:
Arnaud
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021121/sge.shz73.211102163534.photo00.default-307x384.jpg
Nico
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021121/sge.sib07.211102163851.photo00.default-384x291.jpg

Lindsayfan
11-22-2002, 07:00 PM
ive read that Seb was impressed by american beauty Halle Berry,the new bond girl! :p

Lindsayfan
11-22-2002, 07:23 PM
they played sets today and Seb beat easily Fab,and Arnaud beat Paulo!

Seb

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021122/sge.srn36.221102164820.photo00.default-303x384.jpg

Arnaud

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021122/sge.srl82.221102164354.photo00.default-300x384.jpg

Lindsayfan
11-22-2002, 07:45 PM
did u know that Fab and Nico live in the same building in Geneve?! :eek:
why all my fave players (apart from Seb and Juanqui) live in Geneve and I dont?!!! :fiery: :p

patrftfanatic
11-23-2002, 01:11 AM
Thanks everyone for welcoming me. I'm 16, lives in California USA, originally from Hong Kong though. Anyway, I love a lot of players, esp Pat. Cuz of Pat I love the Aussie DC team, but since now he's in his break I love the French team the most. Esther, I think they would watch the dubbed version of Die another day, cuz I've got a french friend and she said most of the American movies are dubbed into french voices when released in theatre and almost all are dubbed voices on TV. Arnaud hates golf? If he hates golf wouldn't he rather go see a movie to sit back and relax? Maybe he was just about to lose to Escude so he was making a weird face or sth lol. How ironic is that the rest of the French team is watching Die another day! It's as if they wanted to go see it for the team's sake, their ultimate "destiny" to win, u know! Anyway, I don't know that the movie is out already, cuz in the US I think it's only out last week or maybe this week? I like James Bond but as u know Esther my parents are saving the budget and are renting movies instead of seeing new ones, so annoying althu it does save a lot cuz movies r getting so so so expensive. Sorry I kept babbling on lol.

Samantha

patrftfanatic
11-23-2002, 01:15 AM
did u know that Fab and Nico live in the same building in Geneve?! :eek:
why all my fave players (apart from Seb and Juanqui) live in Geneve and I dont?!!! :fiery: :p

They do? Wow that's pretty cool! How did you know this? The players who live in Geneve are Arnaud, Fab and Nico? Who else? How come Geneve is such a great place? Where is it in France, south or noth?

esther
11-23-2002, 09:22 AM
why is everyone saying geneve and not geneva?! geneva's in switzerland samantha!!! its like on the border of switzerland so its practically IN france...not really but yeah its like REAL near france. taxes...!!! i dunno..practically all of the french tennis people 'live' in geneva right? but like arnaud's in aix most of the time newayz during the break so he prolly spends very little time there anyway.

LOL arnaud in that golf buggy is hilarious....i dunno but i just know he hates golf...or maybe that was seb that hates golf...hmmm
yeah die another day isnt even out here i dont think...but then australias really behind in movies and stuf like that..hehe

oh how cute...seb was 'impressed' with halle berry. does neone know if he's family with him atm?? i thought tom was getting baptised this week so yeah

Lindsayfan
11-23-2002, 10:28 AM
samantha i've added u to my contact list on Msn,pls u do the same!my account is: valetennis@hotmail.com

esther: Geneva is english,Geneve is french!btw i dunno about Arnaud and the others,but i'm sure that Guy lives there the whole year (cos kids have the school so they cant move always),only in the summer he goes to Biarritz (south france) to do windsurf.
-I've read that Tom's christening will be on 17 May,but maybe i've read wrong!

Lindsayfan
11-23-2002, 10:32 AM
how sweet is this pic!!!!! :kiss:

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021123/sge.svq39.231102112613.photo00.default-384x294.jpg

Arnaud and Paulo in double

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021123/sge.svv92.231102122418.photo00.default-384x302.jpg

Guy,Fab and Nico!

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021123/sge.svu87.231102121414.photo00.default-301x384.jpg

Marilyn
11-23-2002, 04:45 PM
awww i love that group pic! I'd like to be that couch ;) :p

Lindsayfan
11-23-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Marilyn
awww i love that group pic! I'd like to be that couch ;) :p

yes LOL! but if i could choise,i'd like to be Guy's straw when he drinks his juice (like he did in Bercy..) :o :drool: :o

patrftfanatic
11-24-2002, 02:43 AM
O, u mean Geneva! I thought it's some place else in France cuz Geneve sound really French and u know.... lol :rolleyes: I just didn't know better. Anyway, Val you like Nick Carter's new song too? All my friends don't like Nick even though I've always like the BSB sorta sound, they r sweet songs. They all love the hip hop stuff like Justin is doing and I don't even like Justin seriously lol. Anyway, how sweet r the pics? They look adorable on the couch and yup I agree, I wouldn't mind jumping on top of everyone else on the couch! He he he......greedy me! :drool: :D :kiss: :drool: How did u know about when Tom get baptized or whatever? Geez u guyz read too many articles lol. :p

Samantha

esther
11-24-2002, 05:47 AM
u read heaps of articles too!!! hehe we all get around...vale- yeah ur right...he's getting baptised on the 17th, i think i misunderstood a french post that said this week, or maybe they weren't correct.

that was a really sweet pic...notice how horse and seb are both looking *lovingly* at arnaud...sigh

Lindsayfan
11-24-2002, 09:20 AM
yeah Samantha I luv Nick Carter and BSB,they r my fave band!i've bought Nick's new album and it's great,i play it everyday! ;)

esther: yes in the pic Nico is like he wants to kiss Arnaud and Seb is like "what r u doing?!" LOL

Marilyn
11-24-2002, 11:09 AM
lol :o you guys definitely read too much :o

Lindsayfan
11-24-2002, 12:33 PM
french team left Royan today to go to Paris,they'll be there this afternoon and they could go to Bercy to test new courts,u know they put clay courts on carpet so they need to see how these courts are.tomorrow and tuesday they'll play matches at the best of 5 sets!
yesterday some of them went to see Marc Lavoine's concert and some stayed at the hotel playing cards!

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021123/sge.syk30.231102225529.photo00.default-384x270.jpg

esther
11-26-2002, 06:15 AM
Has anyone else being having troubles getingt into atpworld or is it just me??

No hehe I think arnaud is a very ‘kissy’ person…like 2 seconds after this pic was taken, he pretended to kiss Seb!! And Seb couldn’t stop grinning!! Lol soooo cute!

They’re played best of 5 yesterday and today?? Omg that’s gotta kill them?! Mathieu and Grosjean have been training a lot together…not good sign for arnaud?? L I hope I’m just reading too much into it. GUY makes his ‘final’ decision tonite if he’s 100% sure, or he’ll make it tomorrow (Wednesday). Imagine how nervous arnaud would be!! I mean really he’d be the most nervous out of all of them coz the speculation is on his mainly. hehe how did u know they were playign cards in their hotel?! they tell the media EVERY detail dont they?!!!!!!!!

how do you put the pic in between writing?

esther
11-26-2002, 06:17 AM
my atpworld is really screwed up it wont let me post pictures

Lindsayfan
11-26-2002, 02:13 PM
esther,u can know everything they did if u go to www.fft.fr site or www.lequipe.fr and u read all the interviews are there!Guy also said what they r eating! ;)
i'm really worried for arnaud...Guy said "if i decide to let arnaud out again,he'll be very upset.but i cant watch to personal feelings,i have to choise who is likely to beat the russians" :sad:

Lindsayfan
11-26-2002, 06:14 PM
Guy said that Mathieu didnt find yet his best tennis,and he had some lacks during the training.but after that,Paulo played against Arnaud and beat him 6-4 6-2.Arnaud was a bit injured at his right wrist :eek: Guy must be very confused now... :confused:

the 2 contenders!

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021126/sge.tti13.261102170017.photo00.default-384x335.jpg

Lindsayfan
11-26-2002, 06:15 PM
Guy and Paulo! ;)

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021126/sge.ttj84.261102170458.photo00.default-384x384.jpg

Lindsayfan
11-26-2002, 08:34 PM
here a song the supporters sang at Roland Garros during DC semifinal!

Si vous voulez gagner,
Jouez comme des guerriers,
Faites les trembler,
Soyez sans pitié
YE,YE,YE,
YE,YE,YE.

:D :D

patrftfanatic
11-26-2002, 11:18 PM
Too bad I won't be able to go online on the next few days cuz I'll be off on holiday. Another bad thing is that they don't have the DC matches in US. I bet France get a lot of coverage and I'm so jealous of them!:mad:
Another thing is that I'm so so so worried for Arnaud! :( OMG I'd be the worst decision Forget can make if he DOESN'T let him play! :eek: Only if Arnaud can proof to him that his wrist wouldn't matter and he can play five sets if he has to! Besides, as one of u stated here, Mathieu is not 100% fit either so that tells sth! :sad:
Samantha

esther
11-27-2002, 05:11 AM
French team trains at venue of Davis Cup final

Mon Nov 25,12:55 PM ET

PARIS - France's Davis Cup team began training Monday on the indoor clay courts to be used in the final against Russia later this week.

"It's a delight to play on these courts," French captain Guy Forget said at the Bercy indoor stadium. "It would be hard to do better."

France will attempt to win back-to-back Davis Cup titles for the first time since 1932 when it plays Russia Nov. 29-Dec. 1.

Sebastien Grosjean, Arnaud Clement, Paul-Henri Mathieu, Fabrice Santoro and Nicolas Escude, who make up the French team, trained at Bercy for the first time Monday. They spent last week training in the west coast resort of Royan.

"The players got better and better," Forget said. "Now, we have three crucial days to reassure ourselves that everyone can play his best tennis."

Grosjean, France's highest-ranked player, is almost certain to play singles, while Escude and Santoro are widely expected to be picked for the doubles.

It's unclear who Forget will name to be the second singles player. He has until one hour before Thursday's draw at 11:00 GMT to decide.

"I have a small idea of what I'm going to do," Forget said. "But between now and Thursday things can happen. In any case, all the players are capable of playing and being on top."

In Monday training, Mathieu looked on form as he beat Escude in two sets.

The Russian team is led by world No. 3 Marat Safin and former French and Australian Open (news - web sites) champion Yevgeny Kafelnikov. Russia reached the final in 1994 and 1995 but has never won the event.

France is unbeaten in eight Davis Cup ties stretching back more than two years and has already won nine titles in the competition. The United States is the most successful nation in the event with 31 titles.

----------------------------------------------------

Forget keeps cards close to his chest

Posted on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 23:54

France Davis Cup captain Guy Forget kept his cards close to his chest on Monday but the signs are there will be no major surprises in Thursday's announcement of the final line-up to face Russia.

Forget, speaking in a press conference at the Bercy stadium which hosts the Friday to Sunday final, would only say: "If I'm sure of the line-up, I will announce it on Tuesday night (instead of Wednesday)."

Most observers believe Sebastien Grosjean and Arnaud Clement will play the singles, on Friday at least, and Fabrice Santoro and Nicolas Escude will play the doubles.

This would mean Forget will have resisted the temptation to field Santoro, who has beaten Russia's number one Marat Safin six times in seven meetings, in the Friday singles. The 20-year-old Paul-Henri Mathieu looks set to be a replacement.

Government security services were at Bercy on Monday, indicating French president Jacques Chirac may be present on one of the days.

Russia's former president Boris Yeltsin, a good friend of Russia's captain Shamil Tharpischev, is expected to arrive in the French capital on Thursday.

Both teams trained at Bercy on Monday and Tharpischev said the chances of either side winning was 50/50 despite the fact that the French have laid a special indoor clay surface.

"Both teams have an equal chance of winning, though France do have home advantage and were able to choose the playing surface," Tharpischev said.

"France are very strong however and are playing on their favourite surface, clay."

French Confiscate Goods from Russian Team Doctor

Tue November 26, 2002 07:31 AM ET

MOSCOW (Reuters) - The Russian Davis Cup team doctor has accused French customs officials of confiscating all his medical supplies upon arrival in Paris Sunday.
"I don't know why, but customs confiscated all of my medical supplies, down to the very last pill," Valery Okhapkin was quoted as saying in Tuesday's Sport-Express newspaper.

The Russian team, including Yevgeny Kafelnikov and Marat Safin, arrived in the French capital Sunday evening from Monte Carlo, where they had been making final preparations for the Davis Cup final against France. The five-day tie begins at Bercy sports hall Friday.

"I showed them an official letter from the Russian Olympic Committee which stated that I'm not carrying any (forbidden) drugs, narcotics, anabolic steroids or any other criminal staff," Okhapkin said.

"But they just told us they don't understand Russian, held me up for 2 1/2 hours, wrote thousands of reports and, in the end, confiscated all my medical supplies.

"They told us that we now have to translate everything into French and ask French tennis officials to act on our behalf."

The French are meticulous in pursuing all issues related to performance-enhancing drugs following a doping scandal in the 1998 Tour de France.

This year, French officials arrested the wife of Lithuanian rider Raimondas Rumsas after they found a large quantity of doping substances in her car at the border.

France delay naming team

France captain Guy Forget will not name his team to face Russia in the Davis Cup final until the draw is made on Thursday.
The French team comprises Sebastien Grosjean, Arnaud Clement, Nicolas Escude, Fabrice Santoro and Paul-Henri Mathieu.

Grosjean, his country's number one, seems certain to take one of the singles berths while Clement or Mathieu look likely to fill the other when the final begins on Friday.

Escude and Santoro are expected to compete in the doubles.

"I have a small idea of what I'm going to do," Forget said.

"But between now and Thursday things can happen. In any case, all the players are capable of playing and being on top."

Forget has until 1100 GMT on Thursday when the draw is made to name his line-up.

France, the defending champions, began training on the indoor clay surface at the Paris-Bercy stadium on Monday after spending the previous week in the west coast resort of Royan.

Mathieu in form

In Monday's training, Mathieu, who won two titles in October, looked in fine form as he beat Escude in straight sets.

"The players got better and better," Forget said.

"Now, we have three crucial days to reassure ourselves that everyone can play his best tennis."

The Russian team is led by world number three Marat Safin and former French and Australian Open champion Yevgeny Kafelnikov.

Russia reached the final in 1994 and 1995 but have never won the event.

France are unbeaten in eight Davis Cup ties stretching back more than two years and have won the event nine times.

esther
11-27-2002, 05:12 AM
vale: hmm yeah i usually check fft, eurosport, sport 24 and yahoo.fr but i didn't read what they were eating and the cards thing and by the time i read them i've usually already heard about them from you!!

awwwwww GUY YOU HAVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE TO PIC ARNAUD!!!!!!!!! *cries* not good news about his wrist and how it gave him so much trouble against Paulo…didn’t they play each other on Friday and arnaud beat him?? :confused:
i'm going to be really nervous until thursdays draw...omg its tomorrow...i guess guy has already pretty much made up his mind tho.

esther
11-27-2002, 05:32 AM
Notre préparation n’a rien à voir avec celle que nous avions effectuée à Melbourne. En ce qui me concerne, je suis moins nerveux et je ne raisonne pas par rapport à une éventuelle sélection. Quoi qu’il arrive, nous nous préparons à offrir à Guy le plus grand choix de joueurs pour cette finale», a déclaré Arnaud Clément.

my brave arnaud :(

Marilyn
11-27-2002, 06:14 AM
I couldn't get in here yesterday, either :(
Here's a pic of Momo and Guy :)

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021126/sge.ttr38.261102173143.photo00.default-384x314.jpg

Lindsayfan
11-27-2002, 09:10 AM
i'm so nervous,i cant study...pls Guy pick Arnaud!!! :sad:
nothing against Paulo,i love him a lot but Arnaud deserves to play this final...and Paulo is so young,he'll have other chances.

Lindsayfan
11-27-2002, 11:08 AM
Seb and Arnaud

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021127/sge.tzn31.271102112851.photo00.default-340x384.jpg

Tryphon
11-27-2002, 11:13 AM
I was just going to post the same pix!! :D

I'm worrying, first Seb complained a little bit about his thigh on Monday, then Arnaud and his wrist... They have been bothered by these injuries for so long, and I thought after the holidays they've just had, they would be fine. Hopefully they can get rid of these problems before next year.

I'm sure that if PHM is selected, he'll do great, but I'd rather see Nono playing...

Have you seen the interview (in 4 parts) of Guy on lequipe.fr? :cool:

Lindsayfan
11-27-2002, 11:35 AM
yes sure i saw it,it's a great interview :)

btw this morning Paulo didnt practise..maybe Guy left him out of the team?

Lindsayfan
11-27-2002, 09:16 PM
i think we can follow the draw LIVE on www.lequipe.fr
btw do u know when and where is the official dinner?usually it takes place on wednesday night. :confused:

patrftfanatic
11-28-2002, 03:06 AM
I hope that Mathieu wasn't practising cuz he's not gonna be in the official team.....Arnaud please play! BTW, what interview were u guyz talking about? :confused: It's too bad that I won't be able to go online just when DC is gonna start cuz I'll be on holiday. :fiery: Plus the US is not really showing any coverage so I'm extra mad. :fiery: If anyone has news of coverage please post a reply asap cuz I'll be leaving for holiday very very soon.....:bounce:

Happy Thanksgiving for Americans
Samantha ;)

Marilyn
11-28-2002, 04:02 AM
:mad: I'm so nervous!

obviously they are not as nervous as I am:)
http://www.daviscup.org/images//gallery/French%20press%20conf.jpg
http://www.daviscup.org/images//gallery/Forget%20Clem%20Mat.jpg

esther
11-28-2002, 04:15 AM
posted by french girl on another site:

Journalist: Guy is about to announce his selection, your heart is beating quickly, i imagine??

AC : yes and no, the selection.... i just hope that everybody is going to be ready and there are not going to have problems, just that we are going to be good. Then, we all really respect Guy's choices, we have an absolute confidence with him and his choices, but that's true that one of us is going to be disappointed but we'll accept it.

journalist: Last year, it was a real heartache ( in frenc we have this expression : "coup de bambou" but i don't know the english equivalent) for you in Melbourne??

AC: Not really a " coupe de bambou" ( shock), it was a deception because i has played the 3 previous rounds so it was hard not to play the final but i was aware that the choices of Nico and seb and the doubles were logical, i wasn't angry with anybody but only with myself. It's always a difficult situation but Davis Cup is a Team competition so that's normal that Guy think only about the Team.

esther
11-28-2002, 04:23 AM
marilyn- so it wasn't just me!!!!!! (not being allowed in)

I think we’re ALL more nervous than they are! mathieu wasn't training????????????? and and at that point guy probably had made his decision...ooh interesting...they are look so happy--where is that press conference like is it transcribed newhere? maybe i'll go look. ohhhh theres like 3 hours before the draw, but the players already know neway dont they?
i'm so so so so nervous...i have a feeling that arnaud is gonna play but maybe its just wishful thinking..? PLEASE PICK ARNAUD!

esther
11-28-2002, 04:33 AM
samantha- have a great trip!!!
tryphon- thing is, they had those same injuries before the semi against the US remember? and it didn't seem to bother them too much, but yeah it could be different now but i really hope it doesnt effect their games too much...?
vale- where does it say we can follow it live on lequipe?

esther
11-28-2002, 04:38 AM
Decision Day for Forget

Wednesday is the day that French Captain Guy Forget will finally choose the four men who will defend the Davis Cup title, and although his players will know then, he is unlikely to make his decision public before the Draw at the Hotel de Ville on Thursday.

Although France has already nominated Arnaud Clement, Sebastien Grosjean, Nicolas Escude and Fabrice Santoro, substitutions can still be made up to one hour before the Draw. Perhaps significantly, rising star Paul-Henri Mathieu has been very much in evidence at the Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy this week, appearing in front of the press with his countrymen and practising on the specially-laid indoor clay court.

“If I have to play I’m ready, although everyone wants to play”, said the 20-year-old, who made such an impact on the tour this autumn with back-to-back title wins in Moscow and Lyon. Since that last victory however he has been sidelined with an abdominal injury, but says “since Sunday I’ve felt 100 per cent”.

If Forget has consulted the record books in making his decision he will know that players making their singles debut in the Davis Cup Final have not fared well in the past. Only once in five occasions has a man won his debut match when it has been in a Final: John McEnroe, who had previously played doubles, defeated Great Britain’s John Lloyd to help the United States to a 4-1 victory in 1978.

The most recent failure of a Final debutant must be burned into Forget’s memory forever – in Lyon in 1991, newcomer Pete Sampras slumped to Henri Leconte in the second singles, before Forget himself defeated the young American to claim a 3-1 victory for France.

Mathieu himself however remains hopeful and unperturbed by history.

“The fact that this is a final doesn’t change anything. I think I’ve proved that I can rise to the big occasions.”

Should any of the nominated players be replaced by Mathieu, it seems likely that Arnaud Clement will be the casualty, as he was in the 2001 Final in Melbourne when his place was taken by the recently-retired Cedric Pioline. Pioline and Fabrice Santoro, of course, went on to score a famous doubles victory against the illustrious partnership of Lleyton Hewitt and Patrick Rafter.

“Guy knows me well. It’s not with words that I’ll convince him, but on the court, by the quality of my tennis, by my commitment to training,” says Clement.

“The desire shows in practice and not just during official matches. I try to give my all during practice, to show the best of myself. The most important thing is not to play, but if you play, to be the best.”

The formidable ‘esprit d’équipe’ of Forget’s players helps them to accept the situation, but there was no denying Clement’s disappointment a year ago and if he is left on the bench again it will surely be sharper this time round. Isn’t he feeling the pressure?

“I don’t think so. If I’m not selected, the disappointment will certainly be greater than if it hadn’t happened last year. But I don’t think I’m approaching the final more nervous than last year. It’s actually the opposite. I’m more calm… even if it isn’t true calm.”

There is less speculation about Nicolas Escude’s place in the team. The star of the 2001 final may not have a game suited to the clay court, but the serve-volleyer is seen at least as a contender for a doubles spot alongside Santoro. The pair won the title at Bercy four weeks ago in their second tournament together and their success has added a new doubles dimension to a team already bursting with possibilities.

The wait for names will be over when the Draw starts at 12noon on Thursday.

Lindsayfan
11-28-2002, 06:55 AM
esther,if u go to www.lequipe.fr in the section of Coupe Davis,u'll see a part where it says "dont forget to follow the draw on l'equipe.fr" so i think they r going to show it LIVE,maybe with Real Player or Windows Media Player.btw i get france 2,so if they show the draw on tv i'll post here!
it would be great to meet each other on Msn messenger around 11;30 CET to follow together the draw!!

esther
11-28-2002, 08:06 AM
vale im so confused- is the draw at 11am or 12???
i am SO jealous of you at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

esther
11-28-2002, 09:14 AM
its 11am which means guy has announced to the media the team...

Lindsayfan
11-28-2002, 09:53 AM
Guy chose Paul Henri :eek: :sad: :sad: :(
best of Luck to Paulo,Seb,Nico and Fab anyway! i hope it's the right choice! :sad:

esther
11-28-2002, 10:04 AM
ARNAUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

esther
11-28-2002, 10:05 AM
*cries for next few hours*

vaiva
11-28-2002, 10:09 AM
Don't cry :sad: But I feel so sad for Arnaud as well

Just pray that Marat beats PHM and Guy won't make the same choice ever again :p

*quickly leaves this thread*

esther
11-28-2002, 10:17 AM
lol!!!!

Lindsayfan
11-28-2002, 10:47 AM
zosse,we are all sad for Arnaud but we still wish the best to french team.

JUst pray PHM beat Safin like he did in Moscow :p :rolleyes:

lin
11-28-2002, 11:41 AM
well really surprising that Paulo was chosen,now just hope Paulo can handle the pressure and play his best for the french team.

patrftfanatic
11-28-2002, 12:29 PM
I woke up esp fifteen mins earlier for my car trip to have a glance at whether Arnaud would be playing or not, at 4:45am. You can imagine how my heart is now skipping a beat. I can't believe this. This is way too bitter for Arnaud I feel very sorry for him. :( :( :(

Marilyn
11-28-2002, 02:07 PM
oh poor arnaud :( :sad: Checking Guy's decision is the first thing I do when I came home :sigh:, but it didn't turn out to be what I was expecting...

Lindsayfan
11-28-2002, 04:13 PM
Arnaud was injured,that's why Guy chose Paulo. :sad:

from Arnaud's words "i feel in peace with myself.it's a big disappointment to not play but the choice of Guy is logic.i have a pain in my wrist who doesnt permit me to be at 100%.I said to Guy: as i'm not at 100% i dont have a chance to beat safin or kafelnikov.plus there is Paulo who is in a great shape,so the decision is made"

so pls dont bash my beloved Guy..it wasnt a free choice! :o

Lindsayfan
11-28-2002, 07:24 PM
the team

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/ap_photo/20021128/all/l685191.jpg

Guy :drool: and Seb :)

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/ap_photo/20021128/all/l685185.jpg

an other pic of french team (look at Guy's shoes :eek: )

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/ap_photo/20021128/all/l685184.jpg

and the last one..

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021128/sge.ula89.281102144245.photo00.default-384x257.jpg

esther
11-29-2002, 06:55 AM
awwwww arnauddddd!! he's so freaking sweetttttt... i'm so much more disapointed than he is, which isn't right but we all know how much DC means so them all and for arnaud to have to do that would have been HEARTBREAKING.
yeah vale, i think the guy bashing period is over--lol love the shoes! :) but i'm still extremely disapointed...
lol isn't that cute the players looking at the offical DC program thing when like THEY are the players and they're looking at it like they're fans or somethign! how cute.
did horse die his hair?

esther
11-29-2002, 06:58 AM
samantha- dunno if you'll see this, but thats amazing of you to have gotten up so early to check the draw! would have been really disapointing to wake up at 4:45am and see that

esther
11-29-2002, 07:00 AM
hey guys, remember the press conference of the 5 players yesterday? did u realise that arnaud was the only one not wearing a team jacket? coincidence?

esther
11-29-2002, 07:08 AM
France feel Clement's pain at Davis Cup final exclusion

By Eric Sailliot

PARIS (Reuters) - For the second year running, Arnaud Clement will be watching the Davis Cup final from the sidelines and his French team mates are feeling his pain.

Last year captain Guy Forget left Clement out of the team to play Australia in Melbourne, a decision that proved a masterstroke as Nicolas Escude beat world number one Lleyton Hewitt and Wayne Arthurs to seal a 3-2 victory.

This year, Clement was named in the squad but tendinitis in his wrist in the days leading up to the final against Russia persuaded Forget the right-hander was too much of a risk.

Davis Cup debutant Paul-Henri Mathieu replaces Clement and will lead off the French challenge against Marat Safin on Friday.

"I am really hurting for Arnaud," said Escude who will play doubles with Fabrice Santoro. "It must be very hard for him but we will play this final for him."

Clement played in every round last year except the final and in 2002 he played in the first round defeat of the Netherlands and the 3-2 semi-final defeat of the United States.

He appeared relaxed at Thursday's draw, smiling as he watched a shell-shocked Mathieu take his place in the team photograph.

"On Wednesday after training we were still uncertain whether Arnaud could play at 100 percent over five sets," said France coach Thierry Tulasne.

"He went for tests at a clinic and when he returned to the hotel, he had a long talk with the team doctor, Guy Forget and me. He told us that he was not sure whether he could play at full bore.

"We listened to him with a great deal of sadness and disappointment. He helped Guy make the decision."

Forget said Mathieu had recovered from an abdominal injury picked up after he won two titles in October. The captain said he was not prepared to risk a player who was not fully fit in a match of this importance.

"Arnaud showed how incredibly honest he is but that surprised nobody. I have enormous respect because I know what he has gone through," said Tulasne who was left out of the 1982 final squad which lost to the U.S..

Mathieu was told he was playing just before Wednesday's "last supper" ahead of the draw, and then went to eat with Clement and his other team mates.

"At dinner last night, everyone was trying to hide their sadness for Arnaud, and some of them found it hard to do. We couldn't stop thinking about him," said Tulasne.

"It's the second time running he's missed out on the final and this year he deserved to play. It was his weekend and we looked upon it like that.

"Without the tendinitis he would definitely have played."

esther
11-29-2002, 07:09 AM
Interview with the French Team
daciscup.org - Nov 28, 2002

Marat Safin said that you will not be able to play like you played against him in Moscow when you won because you took many risks, and this time the pressure will be on you, will prevent you from taking so many risks.
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Anyway, it's going to be my first match in Davis Cup, that's true, but taking risks is part of my game. I played definitely my best match against him. That's the way it is. I don't understand why he said that.

When did you first hear, and how did you hear, that you were playing? How excited are you about making your Davis Cup debut under such circumstances?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: The captain told me before the dinner last night. Of course, I was really excited. That's the way it happened.

What did it mean to you?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: It's like a dream coming true.

You had a beautiful season. How do you compare winning here and winning a tournament like Moscow or Lyon? Can you sum up your season? What was your most important match?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I think the turning point was the French Open against Agassi. I played very well. I almost beat him. I drew many lessons from this match, even though I lost.

It's a long time since you have played a best-of-five set match. Do you believe physically you will have an advantage, you will be less tired, or on the contrary will it be a drawback because you don't have much experience in five-set matches?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Well, I practiced a lot this week on this particular point. I think physically I'm perfectly prepared.

Do you believe it's lucky for you to play against Kafelnikov or, on the contrary, it's bad luck?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: It's going to be a difficult match because it's probably going to be his last match, so he will be very motivated. But I will be pumped up very much myself. It's going to be a difficult match, but I'm prepared for this match particularly well.

Guy, can you explain how you made your choice for the second singles player?
CAPTAIN FORGET: Well, during the past three or four days, many things happened within the team. We had three players, Fabrice, Paul-Henri and Arnaud, which were very close to each other. First of all, I thought I would save Fabrice for the doubles because I knew this match would be very tiring, especially if Safin was going to play. So I was rather hesitating between Paul-Henri and Arnaud.
But during the past two or three days, Arnaud had problems with his wrist, and Paul-Henri on his side was hitting better and better. He was reaching almost his best level.
Of course, it was a risk for me, but Arnaud was honest enough to tell me he was not 100%. In order to win that kind of match, you have to be at your best. 80% is not enough. You have to play being very ambitious.
I was wondering about Arnaud having problems with his wrist, and it was not so sure about him, whereas Paul-Henri was almost at his top level. I thought it was wiser for the team to choose him.

Paul-Henri never has played in Davis Cup. Is that the most audacious bet you ever took?
CAPTAIN FORGET: I often make bets. But, in fact, the word "bet" is not a very good word because it implies luck. I prefer the word "choice."
In this particular case, the choice came by itself, obviously, the same way it came when I chose Escude to play in Switzerland or when I chose him to play the finals on grass. According to my criteria, it was an obvious choice. I thought, toss the coin and see which side it will fall on.

You've had great success on fast courts in doubles. How will you feel on clay, on a different surface?
NICOLAS ESCUDE: Well, in fact, the doubles are always the same, whatever the situation. Nothing changes, except the surface, of course. But it's true that on the circuit during the last month we had a lot of success, me and Fabrice. I think it would be dangerous to stop here and not try to go further.
During the last 10 days, I've been thinking a lot about it because I know doubles is very important in a Davis Cup tie. During those last 10 days, we've been practicing and working very hard on that.

Playing your first Davis Cup match, what is the most difficult thing to manage? What are your memories? What is the hardest thing to do?
FABRICE SANTORO: I think the hardest thing to do is to play a Davis Cup match when you are not ready because then you start asking yourself questions, and you can completely miss your match.
But now we have had two weeks with great work, great preparation, and we know our level is high enough for picking up that challenge.
Now, speaking about Paul-Henri, he has the level to beat Safin. He showed it during the past two weeks. He was very fit. To sum up what I was saying, if you're not ready, that's the most difficult thing to do. But if you are ready, then it's okay.
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: The first time I had problems getting into the match. Now this time with a very good preparation, I believe I can play a good match. I think what is important is to prepare well from a tennis point of view, but also mentally.
I think you should play exactly the way you play on the tour, then you can produce a good Davis Cup match.

You are only 20 years old. Last year you were playing in the finals of the Interclub French Championship. Now it's going to be a completely different thing, it's going to be a Davis Cup match. What are the images you have of Davis Cup?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: The last matches I have in my mind for Davis Cup are '91 from Lyon that I watched on television. I didn't see Sydney because I was asleep, it was at night, but I was with them with all my heart.
Tomorrow it's going to be different because it's no longer a dream, it's reality.

What will be different tomorrow?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Why should anything be different? It's going to be a tennis match, and I'm going to try my best.

Guy, with your experience, what are you going to say to a player so young playing for the first time in the Davis Cup finals? What is the risk? Do you believe he's going to try to do too much or is he going to be bogged down by the crowd?
CAPTAIN FORGET: No, I think a natural strength of Paul-Henri is his maturity. He's very mature. He beat very strong players, or played as well against average players. This is the experience he has. Maybe he's less experienced than the other guys here, but very often he beat very strong players during very big matches. So that is the experience he has.
Now, what I'm going to tell him will be exactly the same thing as for Fabrice or the other players. I'm going to try to help him play his best tennis.

Safin told us you will play less aggressively than you did in Moscow.
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: As I said, I don't understand why he said that because, of course, there's going to be pressure. But this is what makes me play well. In Moscow, it was my first semi. There was pressure also.

esther
11-29-2002, 07:10 AM
sorry, more stuf:

"This is disappointing for me not being on the court tomorrow but Guy's decision is logical. I have a sore wrist that prevents me from being at 100% right now".

"I told Guy that once I'm not at 100% against players like Safin or Kafelnikov, I have no chance to win a point. We have in the team Paul-Henri Mathieu who is in great shape, so the decision was taken smoothly".

"This is not an usual match or tournament. I'm not on court for me. It's not me playing but the French team".

"Of course, it's tough. I wanted to play this match more than any other one. But once again, I'm not able to play so it's not something illogical, it's normal. Last night, I was in peace with myself regarding the way it happened."

"Guy and I talked all day yesterday, but it's hard to explain how much you'll be diminished. I had doubts about this. But while going to bed, I no longer had. I knew what had been done was good, and that it was the right thing to do."

Arnaud Clement promised it, he will now spend all his energy "cheering his mates on" so he can maybe join them when raising the Silvery Cup.

Marilyn
11-29-2002, 05:15 PM
Paulo lost :sad: but Seb won :bounce:
here are some pics from paris :)

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.utf93.291102131206.photo00.default-384x252.jpg
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/reuters_ids/20021129/i/1020962164.jpg
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uuu64.291102155605.photo00.default-384x257.jpg
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uug72.291102150453.photo00.default-384x238.jpg
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uum51.291102152814.photo00.default-296x384.jpg
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uuq37.291102154245.photo00.default-292x384.jpg
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uut28.291102155217.photo00.default-299x384.jpg
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uur52.291102154610.photo00.default-344x384.jpg

Marilyn
11-29-2002, 05:19 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uvt40.291102171420.photo00.default-302x384.jpg
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uvs95.291102171241.photo00.default-324x384.jpg
more to come :)

Marilyn
11-29-2002, 05:37 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uwl62.291102182027.photo00.default-384x287.jpg
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/reuters_ids/20021129/i/3896145932.jpg
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/ap_photo/20021129/all/l685693.jpg
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uwn50.291102182824.photo00.default-384x271.jpg

Marilyn
11-29-2002, 05:40 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/ap_photo/20021129/all/l685701.jpg

Marilyn
11-29-2002, 05:44 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uwq39.291102183737.photo00.default-312x384.jpg

:D I like this one very much :D
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uwo87.291102183236.photo00.default-384x262.jpg

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uwq99.291102183944.photo00.default-384x261.jpg

Marilyn
11-29-2002, 06:06 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uwr92.291102184423.photo00.default-308x384.jpg
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uwt67.291102185244.photo00.default-294x384.jpg
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uwu88.291102190011.photo00.default-276x384.jpg

Marilyn
11-29-2002, 06:16 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uww15.291102190847.photo00.default-273x384.jpg
weird shirt, lol

Lindsayfan
11-29-2002, 06:21 PM
yes very weird shirt but well done Seb,he played great!!! :D :D :D

ALLEZ LES BLUES!!!! :)

Lindsayfan
11-29-2002, 06:34 PM
An Interview with Paul-Henri Mathieu

From the time you learned you were going to play, did you feel nervous, even before coming onto the court? How did you experience all those moments?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: No, I was not nervous at all. I heard yesterday evening I was going to play. I immediately thought I was going to give my best. That's what I did.

Were you happy with the beginning of your match?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yes, because when you play the finals for the first time in Davis Cup, it's good. I think it's Safin who played better than me.

Can you compare this match with the Moscow match? Was he stronger today?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: He played better today. I didn't play since Lyon. Maybe I was lacking competition. But the difference is very little between the two. If I had won the fourth set, it could have turned around.

About the serve, was it a choice to serve not so strong as on indoor courts?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I can serve at 195 kilometers an hour. At some moments I thought I should put in as many first serves as I could. Of course, every time I had a breakpoint, he came up with a great first serve.

What did you feel about the crowd, especially in the fourth set when you were coming back into the match only one break behind? What did you feel at that moment?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I felt the reaction of the crowd, especially in the fourth set. It pushed me a lot. I was more eager to come back into the match. It was a great feeling.

You say the result depended on just a few details. Which details?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Well, I think in the third set, I had a letdown, and he improved his game. After that, it was more difficult for me. He stepped into the court a bit more, and I was a bit behind the baseline. I was a bit behind also in the score. On breakpoints, he served very well. He was very solid from the baseline also.

Apart from the fact he played very well and you lost, were you happy to be present physically and mentally during that match in spite of the pressure of your first final? You played naturally. You were elegant on the court.
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Well, in fact, the pressure comes from you a little bit (laughter). Normally, I'm within the team and I don't think about anything else. Of course, I had pressure. It was the first time I was playing Davis Cup, and plus it was the final. It was a bit of a different situation than usual, so it's a bit because of that. I didn't want to miss my match completely.

So you were happy with what you did?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yes, but I lost. I think this loss will teach me many things.

Did you watch Thierry Champion during the match?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yes. Sometimes I did. Guy brought a lot to me also during the match. I was more watching him than Thierry.

You never played competition in this stadium. What did you feel?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yes, it was the first time. With the whole crowd there, it was impressive.

What did Guy say at the end of the match?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: He said that I gave everything I had and that Safin was a great player today, he played a beautiful match, that's all. I had nothing to regret, that it was not finished, it was just the first match.

If you have to play against Kafelnikov on Sunday, will you have a different approach than today, in the way you're going to prepare?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: No. I think I started off very well this match. I won't change my preparation. As I said, today I lacked competition, so I think Sunday it will be better. It will be a lot better because I will have that match behind me.

How can Safin be beaten? He was very impressive today.
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I think today he's the best player in the world. When he plays like that, it's a rollercoaster. I mean, today he played very well. If he hadn't played so well, maybe I would have had some opportunities, but I didn't have them today. After there were a few things, and that made the difference.

If you had to assess your level of game compared to Moscow, what would you say?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: It's difficult because here it was a clay court. In Moscow, it was faster. But today I was not far from having a good result. It was a good match.

During the match Safin fell two or three times on the court. Did you realize that? Did you think about that?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: No. We're not boxing (smiling). It's true that the clay court is slippery anyway, so it happens often. The only thing I watch is if he's all right, if he didn't get hurt.

Didn't you believe that wrong-footing him was useful, that it was a good weapon?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yes. Well, I had him on the ground once during that, but the second and third time he fell when he was going up to the net.

You played a very high backhand. You missed that shot completely. Was there a particular reason?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: It was an easy shot, in fact. I don't know why I missed it. It happens.

Did it hurt you for the rest of the match?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: No, because the thing I thought I had to concentrate on was the rest of the game, not thinking about it anymore.

Marilyn
11-29-2002, 06:44 PM
http://www.daviscup.com/images//gallery/20021129-Audience-Match2-01.jpg

Marilyn
11-29-2002, 07:00 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/reuters_ids/20021129/i/46989685.jpg
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uvj11.291102164519.photo00.default-326x384.jpg

Marilyn
11-29-2002, 07:24 PM
http://www.fft.fr/evenements2002/FINALE-COUPE-DAVIS/album5/images/01.JPG

http://www.fft.fr/evenements2002/FINALE-COUPE-DAVIS/album5/images/07.jpg

http://www.fft.fr/evenements2002/FINALE-COUPE-DAVIS/album5/images/09.jpg

http://www.fft.fr/evenements2002/FINALE-COUPE-DAVIS/album5/images/10.jpg

http://www.fft.fr/evenements2002/FINALE-COUPE-DAVIS/album4/images/01.JPG

http://www.fft.fr/evenements2002/FINALE-COUPE-DAVIS/album4/images/03.jpg

http://www.fft.fr/evenements2002/FINALE-COUPE-DAVIS/album4/images/04.jpg

http://www.fft.fr/evenements2002/FINALE-COUPE-DAVIS/album4/images/07.jpg

http://www.fft.fr/evenements2002/FINALE-COUPE-DAVIS/album4/images/08.jpg

http://www.fft.fr/evenements2002/FINALE-COUPE-DAVIS/album4/images/10.jpg

Marilyn
11-29-2002, 07:26 PM
http://www.fft.fr/evenements2002/FINALE-COUPE-DAVIS/album3/images/02.jpg

http://www.fft.fr/evenements2002/FINALE-COUPE-DAVIS/album3/images/10.jpg

Lindsayfan
11-29-2002, 07:27 PM
Interview with Guy Forget and Sebastien Grosjean

Guy, 1-1 after the first day. Is that what you expected?
CAPTAIN FORGET: Let's say that's the normal scenario that you could forecast before the tie. I knew Sebastien had more chances than Mathieu to win. Talking about Mathieu, I thought after all, why not? Sometimes Marat is not very consistent in the beginning of the matches.
2-Love for us would have been too beautiful. I believe during the first match, Marat was a lot above Mathieu. He was moving well, he was hitting hard. I don't believe Mathieu has anything to regret. So 1-1 is logical after what we saw today. The two best players won today.

Can you explain the details of the match of the Mathieu.
CAPTAIN FORGET: In the beginning of the match, he had problems finding his bearings. He lost some points stupidly. He was not far away. I believe he lost the set because of one particular game where he didn't play very well. He had a break against him. Against a strong player like Marat, with all the crowd there, it was a bit difficult. But after he reacted very well. He became more and more aggressive. Marat started making some mistakes. He had a letdown in the beginning of the second set. Suddenly we were one set all with a beautiful match.
At 30-All there was a very long rally. Mathieu missed the passing shot. That gave a breakpoint. I thought, "It's not possible, the other one is not playing so good." I was thinking really there it's stupid. After he was not aggressive enough in the rest of the game. After that, I realized that he was dominated completely.
He made fewer mistakes, but then he was hitting short balls, being attacked completely. Marat was hitting very hard from the baseline. Mathieu was making some mistakes. He was playing too short. After, Marat started playing better and better. Marat was playing ping-pong standing on the table. Also Mathieu didn't serve well enough to win easily his service games. After, the trend turned completely in favor of Marat.
In the end, Marat is a lot stronger. Against this level of player, Mathieu doesn't have enough cards in his hands.

He could have tried to play a slice backhand.
CAPTAIN FORGET: Yes, he could have gone up to the net, surprising Marat. When he did it, it was good. He was passed sometimes, and after he hesitated to go to the net. Marat was playing so good that the attack had to be perfect. It was difficult.
But today Marat Safin was a lot stronger than in Moscow. Today Mathieu was a bit below the level he played in Moscow. The result is absolutely logical. There's nothing to say.

Communication-wise, how did it go between you two?
CAPTAIN FORGET: Paul doesn't speak much, but he listens a lot. He thinks about what you say. He's not used on the changeovers to have someone dumping advice on him. I said very simple things, very short things. It was working. The problem is that at a certain time, I was confronted with Safin who was better in all parts of the game. I was thinking, "How can I help him now?" He was playing too short, he was two meters behind the baseline. In those moments, you feel powerless.
But at least Mathieu fought until the end of the match. In the last game, if the other one had become tense, who knows what would have happened. But he served two or three times above 200 kilometers per hour.

Do you believe on Sunday Paul will be good?
CAPTAIN FORGET: Well, I started wondering, but I tried not to think about it because we have a very important doubles match to play tomorrow first. Sebastien will play against Safin on Sunday, so there are two big matches there. I don't have time to concentrate on anything else.
I am not sure Mathieu will play on Sunday yet. I can give you no certainty. I hope we'll win the doubles tomorrow and maybe the match of Mathieu won't even count. But this is a point I have to think about. I didn't make a decision yet. I haven't made a choice.

So you're not sure he's strong enough to face the challenge?
CAPTAIN FORGET: No, not at all. I saw a number of things in Kafelnikov's game. I have to speak with my staff. When you are able to make Kafelnikov move, he becomes slow. Grosjean took advantage of this very well today. It will be up to me to determine whether Paul-Henri or Fabrice has more chances to win. They both have completely different style of games. But it's a good thing to have two good players to choose from.

What Paul-Henri did today gives you no doubts?
CAPTAIN FORGET: No, I believe it's a logical loss. I think Kafelnikov is not as strong as Safin. It was obvious today. Therefore, I will have to think a lot.

What do you think of Sebastien's match? Although he played very well, didn't you believe that Kafelnikov was disappointing?
CAPTAIN FORGET: This is what I was explaining. It's a matter of one dominating the other. In the beginning, the trap would have been to lose the first set. But in the second, he broke early, he became confident, he was playing close to the baseline, taking more risks, and Kafelnikov was behind in the score, became tense. I believe the match followed that trend. Kafelnikov was playing worse and worse, and Sebastien was playing better and better.
The only risk was Sebastien would lose his concentration, but he didn't.

The doubles tomorrow, how do you see that?
CAPTAIN FORGET: It's going to be very difficult. Honestly, I knew Sebastien had good chances to win today. I knew Mathieu would have difficulties. But the doubles will be balanced, I think. I think I would give a slight advantage to our players.

Why? Because they are used to playing together?
CAPTAIN FORGET: They have a better sense of playing doubles. They know how to serve well, return well, win the important points. We will see what they do tomorrow. But there are many tactical choices that I can draw from videotapes, and I believe we have the weapons today to give them a lot of problems.

Sebastien, when you came onto the court with one point for the Russians, what was your state of mind?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: I tried not to think about it. I tried to concentrate on my own game. I knew Kafelnikov was very motivated, but physically he was not at his top level compared to the former years. I tried to concentrate on my game and be aggressive. I served well during the match. I was able to relax after the beginning of the match.

Given the context, your attitude, how would you assess this match in Davis Cup? Your best one?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: No, I played also another very good match, was very aggressive, had the crowd behind me. Today I didn't start off right from the beginning of the match. I was able to improve with the match. I was particularly able to relax at the end of the match.

The communication with Guy is working better and better? Is it easier than before with him?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: Yes. I think I always listen to what he says. This is a good thing. I realize that he's improving. I'm better on the tour also, so this gives me some more freedom. All this is part of my attitude and my eagerness to play well in this competition.

This victory in three sets, is it surprising to you or is it logical due to his physical condition?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: Well, when you're at the end of your career, physically you're weaker. The tennis is the same. At the end of the first set and afterwards, he was always a bit late hitting the ball. On clay where there's some bad bounces, it's a problem. I think his physical condition is not as good as before.

When in the match did you believe you were dominating completely?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: I think when I broke him back in the second. There were three breaks in a row. I really believed I could break him at any time. The only thing I had to do is hold my serve, have good second serves. From then on, he started playing not so well, and I was dominating.

Talking about the crowd in Davis Cup, I don't know what you think about it, but do you have regrets, thinking maybe in Marseille, for example, it's better than in Paris?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: No. The crowd is always present when you need them. Sometimes I looked at them and asked for their support. They did encourage me, they supported me. It's like in the French Open. I think the public was present today. I think tomorrow they will be even more present.

Do you feel more and more a leader on this team? I'm thinking about the results you have this year.
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: No, I don't want to think I'm a leader. There's a unity in the group. I'm just one of the players trying to give his best to the group. I want to do my best in Davis Cup. That's why we have good results lately and during the past years, because everyone is trying to do his best without having to be a leader or not.

What do you think of Safin?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: Strange question. We knew he would be there. I believe he served very well today. In the important moments, he was able to have very good first serves. He played a solid match because Paul played a good match. He didn't serve as well, but he hit the ball very well. I think it was a good quality in this match. We'll see what will happen on Sunday. I will try to prepare perfectly my match with Guy and Thierry.

When you see Marat playing at this level, what is the way to destabilize him?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: Against Marat, you have to try to mix it up a bit more. It's difficult to play only with your power. You have to mix it up, try to hit harder every time you can. His shots are very heavy, so you have to stick to the score and maybe sometimes he loses his concentration, misses one or two points, and this is the moment you have to take advantage of it.

Can you talk about St. Petersburg, what things you remember?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: In St. Petersburg, the organization is perfect. I was without my pals, as you said. It was cold. It was February, very cold. But the hotel was great. It was well-organized. There were many people because the stadium was very big. It was a very good indoor tournament.

Can you compare Sebastien in '89 and Mathieu starting this year? Can we compare both of you?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: No, because in '89 I completely missed my match, but he didn't. I think he played his match, and he lost against a very good player, Safin. I think he's more confident than I was when I played at the time. I hadn't won any tournaments before, whereas he did this year. That's a good thing for the whole team, to feel that players like him can bring a lot to the team.

Lindsayfan
11-29-2002, 07:31 PM

Can you talk about St. Petersburg, what things you remember?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: In St. Petersburg, the organization is perfect. I was without my pals, as you said. It was cold. It was February, very cold. .

Can you compare Sebastien in '89 and Mathieu starting this year? Can we compare both of you?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: No, because in '89 I completely missed my match, but he didn't.

St Petersburg in february?:eek: it wasnt just few weeks ago?

Sebastien in 89?!LOL it meant 99,i guess :rolleyes:

Seb must have been very tired and confused,he mixed february with october and 89 with 99!!! LOL

esther
11-29-2002, 11:38 PM
marilyn- thanks for all the pics!!!!
what's with the shirt? lol thats the weirdest shirt i've seen for a long time!!...i don't like the newly developed goatee either...

vale- where did u get that interview from? was it originallly in french or english?? lol i think 89 was a typo but i think he got mixed up with february!! lol too cute

Marilyn
11-30-2002, 01:59 PM
the interview is from the official website of DC :)

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021130/sge.uzx03.301102144254.photo00.default-384x264.jpg

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021130/sge.uzx28.301102144527.photo00.default-384x263.jpg
they are still fighting now:)

Marilyn
11-30-2002, 02:54 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021130/sge.aaa05.301102150933.photo00.default-384x268.jpg

Marilyn
11-30-2002, 04:10 PM
OMG THEY DID IT!!! WHAT A FIVE-SETTER!
I WAS SO SAD WHEN THEY LOST THE THIRD SET!
:D:D:D NOW FRA LEADS 2-1 :D:D:d

Marilyn
11-30-2002, 04:15 PM
CUTE KID :D
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021130/sge.aam68.301102164641.photo00.default-384x257.jpg

FAB
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021130/sge.aaj45.301102162213.photo00.default-384x297.jpg

GUY AND NICO
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021130/sge.aai99.301102161830.photo00.default-384x261.jpg

NICO AND FAB
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021130/sge.aae13.301102154220.photo00.default-384x256.jpg

Marilyn
11-30-2002, 04:35 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/ap_photo/20021130/all/l686369.jpg

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/reuters_ids/20021130/i/2395405320.jpg

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021130/sge.aan52.301102165418.photo00.default-384x260.jpg

Lindsayfan
11-30-2002, 04:41 PM
i saw the match on tv and it was incredible! :eek: they were led 6-3 3-6 5-7 0-2 i was so sad,i was eating an ice-cream to cheer me up.since that,they won 5 games in a row and then won fourth set 6-3.in fifth set they broke russians at first game,and no other breaks in the whole set,they did hold serve and won the match!!!

wowww i had an heart attack,they almost killed me!but now i'm the happiest girl of this world! :D

ALLEZ LE BLEUS!!!!! :) :) :)

Marilyn
11-30-2002, 04:47 PM
http://www.fft.fr/evenements2002/finale-coupe-davis/album6/images/01.JPG

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021130/sge.aas17.301102172838.photo00.default-336x384.jpg
Nico's excitement seems to make Paulo embarressed :p

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021130/sge.aar96.301102172624.photo00.default-384x266.jpg

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021130/sge.aat54.301102173949.photo00.default-374x384.jpg

Lindsayfan
11-30-2002, 04:49 PM
marilyn!!!turn on Msn!!i'm here!!!

I'm more excited than them! ;)

Marilyn
11-30-2002, 04:53 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021130/sge.aat27.301102173641.photo00.default-384x275.jpg

i can't agree with you more, Vale! I was so desperate seeing the scores! And now I'm the scond happiest girl in the world! (since you're the happiest ;) )

Marilyn
11-30-2002, 04:56 PM
Vale i've turned on my msn but it's having some problem! maybe it's because my internet is too slow! :sad:

http://www.fft.fr/evenements2002/finale-coupe-davis/album6/images/07.jpg
the french musketeers!

Lindsayfan
11-30-2002, 05:05 PM
oh ok :sad: it would be great to chat with u in this moment,but dont worry- we'll chat tomorrow ;)

ALLEZ LE BLEUS!!!! :D

Marilyn
11-30-2002, 05:07 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021130/sge.aau48.301102174804.photo00.default-384x302.jpg

http://www.fft.fr/evenements2002/finale-coupe-davis/album6/images/08.jpg

Marilyn
11-30-2002, 05:10 PM
ok vale :)

Lindsayfan
11-30-2002, 05:36 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021130/sge.aav12.301102175757.photo00.default-384x269.jpg

Lindsayfan
11-30-2002, 05:54 PM
the fantastic french crowd! esther,i saw aurelie on tv! :)

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021130/sge.aba29.301102185150.photo00.default-384x257.jpg

Lindsayfan
11-30-2002, 06:15 PM

What do you feel after a match so intense that you almost lost, but you faced the situation?
NICOLAS ESCUDE: Yes, it was possible to lose it. At the time, in fact, in the beginning of the fourth set, things were going badly for us. We were able to turn it around. After the fourth and fifth set were very good. We were more efficient. We were very happy.
But the main objective will be Sunday evening. For the time being it's 2-1; it's not finished.

What is the major problem when you play against Kafelnikov and Safin? Is it their serve?
NICOLAS ESCUDE: Not only the quality of their serve, but the quality of their returns also, and their power. They hit the ball very hard. In the third set and the end of the second set, it was almost shooting. There were no mistakes on their part. We tried to put the ball back into the court, and it was very difficult. At that time they played very well because of their power.
I believe the major factor we had was the quality of our serve to prevent them from returning too well, and to be solid enough at the net, be it the first or the tenth shot.

What happened to you during the match?
NICOLAS ESCUDE: I fell on my back. I had a pain, so I requested a break to see with the doctor if I could play, if it was going to be better. Just afterwards I had to serve. I had many problems twisting. Fortunately, I had easy volleys and I was able to catch up. After we were ahead in the score. The more the match continued, the better we were playing. That's why we won it.

The third man was the crowd. Did it work?
NICOLAS ESCUDE: Yes. I tried to ask them to support me - first for me, and second to bother the Russians. There were about 15,000 people singing, yelling. When you have that against you, it can bother you. They started questioning themselves.

Can you compare this doubles with your two singles matches last year in Melbourne?
NICOLAS ESCUDE: It's completely different. Doubles are completely different. Instead of playing two singles, you play only for one point, the doubles. You also have to be concentrated all the time. In doubles, sometimes you can have the help of your colleague if you have a letdown, but in singles you have to concentrate all the time because it only depends on you. That's the difference.

What were you reading on the face of the Russians during the match?
NICOLAS ESCUDE: I realized they were missing more and they were trying to hit harder, to try difficult things, without success. It was all the better for us.

Do you feel something special playing with Fabrice in doubles?
NICOLAS ESCUDE: Yes, it's very easy because I know he will not have a letdown for half an hour. Maybe on one or two games he can have a letdown, otherwise he's always present. He makes very few mistakes. Of course, he's not comparable to Llodra or Cedric, but he's so consistent. At the beginning of the fourth and end of the third, I was not so good, and he was able to sustain the rhythm, to help me.

Did you fear you wouldn't be able to continue the match because of your injury?
NICOLAS ESCUDE: Well, I had pain in my back. Of course, the more I got cold, the worse is gets. On this particular point, I played that overhead and I fell. Guy asked me if I wanted to stop immediately for the three minutes, which I said I wanted an extra game to see how it would turn out. After I took the break because it was really hurting.
But in order for me not to play at all and not finish the match, it had to be very serious.

Were you always confident? Sometimes during practices you lost matches. How was it in your mind?
NICOLAS ESCUDE: We tried to improve several shots in a row. We tried to improve our serve, our returns during practice, our combinations of games, to get used to one another. Although we knew each other well already, we didn't have much experience together. We tried to add some more information.

What role did friendship play today?
NICOLAS ESCUDE: Friendship always plays an enormous role in that kind of thing. Be it him or me, we were pushing each other. When I missed an easy point, we were speaking to each other, and he was encouraging me, and vice versa.
When you don't have an understanding of the other player, it can turn out bad, but this is not the case.

What do you feel when you win a point in the fifth set, it was on your serve, you succeeded in that point?
NICOLAS ESCUDE: Well, it was a great success because they were hitting harder and harder. We felt they were becoming impatient, and we were able to win that point, which was very good for us. It did us a lot of good. After that, Marat started missing some passing shots, which he didn't miss before, or easy points, because he was becoming impatient. These kinds of points are very important.

At one stage did you believe Marat was the only one on the court and he was going to stay strong during the whole match?
NICOLAS ESCUDE: We were expecting him to have letdowns on his serve because he was serving so well he didn't even have to play a volley afterwards. Of course, in the beginning he was carrying the whole team, but in the end he was the one making mistakes right or left.
When we broke back in the fourth, I think that was a turning point because afterwards he started serving not so well.

In the past 25 years, the winner always won doubles. Do you still believe that?
NICOLAS ESCUDE: I believe the point from the doubles is very important, but it's not finished, as you say. I hope the logic will be respected tomorrow.

Do you believe the nine sets that Marat Safin played will be a factor tomorrow?
NICOLAS ESCUDE: Yes. That's a reason why we chose this surface because we took this into account. I'm sure it's going to play a role. Sebastien only played three sets, so it's going to be a factor.

Did you have a bout in the beginning of the match with your back?
NICOLAS ESCUDE: Yes, I had one. In fact, what is strange is that from the beginning of the match, I was the one who had nothing. All the others had blisters or something. Then it happened to me.

Did you worry about it before?
NICOLAS ESCUDE: No, I had no worries before. In Moscow, I felt a bit stiff in the back. I knew this match was going to be very difficult, that's why I took the precaution to use the belt.

Do you believe Kafelnikov is not playing at his best this weekend? Are you surprised?
NICOLAS ESCUDE: Yes and no. I'm surprised with his match yesterday. Physically, he's absolutely not at the right level, not for a Davis Cup tie on clay. Everything is played over three days. Given the Russian team, it's the same players for the three days, so I thought physically he would be in better shape.

What do you see for the fifth match? Do you think he's going to play the fifth match?
NICOLAS ESCUDE: I can't see it otherwise. Kafelnikov said a long time ago that he would have Youzhny to play on Friday to save himself for the doubles so I'm sure he's going to play on Sunday.

Fabrice, can you compare this happiness with the one you had in Melbourne last year, or is it completely different?
FABRICE SANTORO: It's funny because Clement asked me exactly that question in the locker room. Anyway, both doubles will remain forever in my memory because they were very important. One was played 20,000 kilometers from here, the other one was at home. I think those kind of matches are difficult to compare. I can't say which one was the best, but they are the best in my career.

How do you analyze the match, the different parts of the game?
FABRICE SANTORO: I think we dominated easily the first set. The second set we had a breakpoint with Kafelnikov. It could have been the moment to really take the match into our hands. On the contrary, the situation reversed. It's not because our level was lower, but they started serving very well. They had very good returns. At that particular moment, we didn't know exactly how to face them and how to play winning volleys. We had problems. We were a bit worried because we were not finding solutions.
In the fourth set, we stayed a bit behind on their serve to make them play more, and we started returning better and becoming more consistent. Things turned around again. But the suspense remained until the end of the match in the fifth set. Escude had to save a breakpoint on his serve. After that, we started playing well again.

Did you volley better and better as the match progressed? Did you win that match at the net?
FABRICE SANTORO: Sometimes when you have two very tall guys, 1 meter 95, and serving well, you don't really know what to do at the net. With Nico at one point I said, "Now, we have to bend our knees and play as if we were a wall and not miss a single volley. If they do better than us, congratulations, but we will resist." This is how it happened.
There were volleys all over the place. We were trying to do our best. It was difficult because it was going very fast and they were hitting very hard.

You know that the doubles were crucial. Do you believe it's a good omen?
FABRICE SANTORO: Well, of course, yesterday the objective had been achieved, 1-All. Today we wanted to be 2-1, be ahead. That's done. Now the third objective might be more difficult. I hope tomorrow evening the objective will be reached with a third point.

When you play against Safin, you disturbed him more than you did today.
FABRICE SANTORO: I never played Marat in doubles yet. Singles and doubles are not comparable. I believe he played a good match today. Both of them were able to improve their games after a while, so it was really difficult for us. But I believe he was not serving as well at the end of the match. He didn't have so many first serves.

Do you believe it was physical or mental on his part?
FABRICE SANTORO: I don't believe Kafelnikov or Marat had letdowns. The eagerness to win, I think we were better than they were. We used the crowd in our favor. I told you we had two or three objectives in our mind when we went onto the court, and it's certainly thanks to this that we won the match today because we really wanted to be ahead tonight.

So for you there's no doubt Kafelnikov will play tomorrow?
FABRICE SANTORO: Well, it doesn't matter. That's what I would say. The important thing is that Sebastien and Paul-Henri play tomorrow in the same way, with as much enthusiasm, using their qualities. We can count maybe on an injury on the other side, a letdown. But you can't really count on that. We have to believe that tomorrow we'll have two difficult players to beat.

You're talking about Mathieu and Sebastien. Do you consider your weekend over?
FABRICE SANTORO: I remain concentrated, as I was during every tie. We had a mission with Nico today. The objective is achieved and we're very happy. Tomorrow I am available for the team. If I have to step on the court, I will, but there's no reason. Sebastien and Paul-Henri, winning or losing yesterday, did what they had to do. They played good matches. There's no reason why things should change.
But I'm not going to party tonight. I'm going to go to bed early and be in good shape tomorrow.

Guy, were you really afraid during the doubles?
CAPTAIN FORGET: Not really. The worst that could happen was losing the doubles, and I would have been very angry then because when I saw them playing well, Fabrice and Nico are more complete technically, more precise than the Russians, they miss less points, even difficult shots under the net they're able to get, well-placed. It would have been a disappointment. In spite of that, we were within one millimeter of losing. At one stage I thought maybe it was over. I think the merit of our team was that they kept on fighting until the end.
I had sometimes violent moments when I was talking to Fabrice and Nico because I didn't want to lose that match this way, not in this way. I was furious because we were not able to play the way we were capable of doing. When they were able to break back, they had a good attitude, they were making the right choices. When I saw that, it was the key of the match in my mind. There were simple things that had to be respected. After that, I think they were dominating. The attitude at one stage was not sufficient.

What did you ask of them?
CAPTAIN FORGET: I asked them to be more aggressive, to walk with their head high, to avoid being passed down the line because some things were making me really bothered. For Nico it was a bit difficult because he had a pain in his back. He was playing two points correctly, then at one point he was only 70%. I was furious. I knew he was carrying his cross because of that. I'm just being characteristic.
The merit he had was to realize that in spite of his state he could produce something a lot better, and he started walking with his head high. Sometimes Fabrice was covering two-thirds of the court, and Nico was keeping his side of the court. It worked. Little by little, they came back into the match. After I had nothing to say, I was happy with the way they were playing.

We can believe a victory in five sets is the ideal situation because maybe tiredness might be a factor tomorrow.
CAPTAIN FORGET: I would like to have the same semifinals as in Argentina. 19-17 in the fifth would have been even better. Of course, for Kafelnikov it's not better to have to play five sets. He needs to rebound from that, recuperate. Now the Russians have the right not to make a single mistake anymore. I think we were much more motivated and positive tonight.

Tomorrow you're going to choose Sebastien and Paul-Henri?
CAPTAIN FORGET: First of all, I'm starting with Sebastien, and I'm hoping it will be enough. Last night I really wondered about that. It was important to prepare. But for the time being, I have my mind elsewhere. I'm in a press conference. I have the players having a massage. I'll think about it later.
But tonight we are going to all talk together. I'm going to announce them late tonight, what will happen. Of course, something can happen before tomorrow. Someone can sleep badly, for example, I don't know. We'll see what will happen.

There's an enormous difference between the French and the Russians. In your team, there's a team spirit, whereas among the Russians, they seem to be soft, not very energetic.
CAPTAIN FORGET: I don't have to judge their behavior. I can only speak about the French. When we cross people from the Russian delegation in the corridors, we can see they're completely different from us. But I believe maybe some of these people suffered more than we did. Maybe they are more careful. Marat Safin is a wonderful guy. You have to learn how he is, to learn to know him. But sometimes when the players are winning or losing, among them I didn't feel special emotions, whereas I was suffering in my seat.

This difference between your team and theirs, your is so united, can it make the difference?
CAPTAIN FORGET: It's a plus in our favor. I don't know if it can really make the difference. But our guys are used to working that way. I don't think you have to change your habits. If I had asked my guys to go and run at 7:00 in the morning in the rain, it would change our habits. I mean, each player has his own habits. They have their own family, as Marat says, their environment. That's the way they are.

A question about the crowd. You thought it was not enthusiastic enough yesterday. Was it better today?
CAPTAIN FORGET: Well, I think, first, from Fabrice, there was more communication with the crowd. He was telling them, "It's going to burn." Sebastien started yesterday to get the stadium come alive. Both players today did it. I hope it's going to be the same tomorrow, like in Roland Garros, a real explosion.

esther
11-30-2002, 09:52 PM
I'm so happy!! if u two were the happiest girls last nite i'm the happiest now!!!!!! i just woke up so its great news to wake up to--altho i was a little surprised at the scoreline...i thought they would have won in straight sets or 4, but this is PERFECT!!!! they won, and still tired them out!!! horse and santoro could have NO energy left and it woudln't matter...well i guess they need SOME for the celebrations...:P

aurelie is there????? ohhhhhhh do u think i should write her a letter?? i think i will and i'll ask her about it!! she's SUCH a lucky girl!!!!

re: to the 'they're still fighting pic' --they look like a married couple!! lol

re: mathieu is embarrassed at horse...that's such a cute pic!! and i dont even like them both at the moment...well not REALLLY...

esther
11-30-2002, 09:53 PM
ok now all that has to happen is for seb to win his singles and become the hero :D then what i wanted will have happened! :)

Marilyn
12-01-2002, 02:38 PM
Seb lost :sad: :sad: :sad:

Marilyn
12-01-2002, 07:27 PM
and Paulo lost too :sad: :sad: :sad:
I feel so sorry for him :sad:

lin
12-01-2002, 07:31 PM
:sad: Seb & Paulo :sad:

Lindsayfan
12-01-2002, 08:25 PM
from happiness to sadness :sad: :sad: :sad:

Paulo lost a match he had almost won..i think i'll never forget this match,i'll never forget the sadness of today.i wish i didnt see this match,it would have been better.

Lindsayfan
12-01-2002, 09:16 PM
tryphon pls if u saw the ceremony,can u tell me what Guy said in his speech?do u think he'll quit his job as captain?

Tryphon
12-01-2002, 09:16 PM
Don't be so down girls, they'll be back! :rolleyes:

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021201/sge.agg33.011202214642.photo00.default-384x261.jpg

Tryphon
12-01-2002, 09:21 PM
Val, just see your question, I think you can listen to Guy's speech on the FFT site.

He was very sad, almost crying, he said very nice things, an emotional speech, something like that:

Said how close they had been to win, congratulated the Russian team of course, said to his players that the magic of the team was in their friendship and that if they keep on working hard, they'll win more cups, and against teams even stronger than Russia! and thanked the crowd.

As for quitting the job, I don't think so, fortunately. He had said this week that win or lose, he'll remain captain as long as he enjoys it, it seems he was thinking of many more years!

The French TV sometimes show what he is saying at his players at the changeover, he's just amazing! He's the best captain we ever had, I don't want him to leave!
I'm not angry that he selected PHM because Tulasne confirmed last Thursday that without the injury, they would definitely have picked Clément so what happened is not a bad choice of his part, just bad luck.

Lindsayfan
12-01-2002, 09:27 PM
thanks tryphon,yes i've listened the interview but unfortunately i dont understand french well so i asked u.i didnt see the ceremony cos italian tv stopped coverage in the moment Youzhny won.thanks also for nice things u said about Guy.it makes me feel less sad knowing that you and some frenchies with u think he's a good captain.

i know i probably shouldnt say that,but Mathieu wasted the match,he's the only responsible of french loss.

Tryphon
12-01-2002, 09:31 PM
I think Youzhny is responsible for playing amazingly well ! :D

But yes, leading 2 sets to love and being so close in the 4th, Paulo should have closed it. Even in the 5th, he still had his chances but his arm must have been shaking. :(

He'll learn from it. :o
And that's good news for Clément and Escudé - not losing the cup of course - but that means they still have a chance to play singles next year. ;)

Lindsayfan
12-01-2002, 09:37 PM
yes he showed all his lack of experience,and also of courage.i thought Paulo was more a figther,instead he failed it and he didnt fight as i expected.he played so defensive in last 3 sets,he was 2 meters out the baseline,i didnt like his attitude.
this loss is at my eyes more sad than Nice 99.

Lindsayfan
12-01-2002, 09:38 PM
btw i appreciate ur attitude tryphon,u look very relaxed despite the loss.i'm so sad,i cant stop crying...maybe i'm just immature.

Tryphon
12-01-2002, 10:05 PM
It's just I'm admiring what Youzhny did, and glad for Russia.

We can't win every year I guess.

But when I saw Guy and Seb and the others so sad at the ceremony, my throat was tight for sure.

I'm also disappointed that Paulo did not fight more, I was expecting he was better than that, but such things happen, a tennis match is never over until the last point, and did you see how he cried on Fab and Nico's shoulder, they were all trying to comfort him so we should not blame him too much...

Lindsayfan
12-01-2002, 10:15 PM
we cant win every year,yes but we cant lose in this way either.we havent been dominated by them,we lost only cos of Paulo.i know Guy said it's a loss of equipe and not a loss of paulo,but well he has to say that-being diplomatic is a part of his job.and considering how things went,we had a real chance to win it,paulo was at 2 points by match and we cant forget it.at last i cant,i'm still crying...

esther
12-02-2002, 06:16 AM
awwwww valeeeee are u really crying?? awwww....no ur not being immature!!! i really honestly think i would have cried if i saw the match live..i woke up this morning and found out and was upset, but just now, i saw 2 hours of highlites from mathieu's match, i feel even worse and i think i shouldn't have watched it! i knew the result already and still i thought i could have cried--maybe if i was watching with you vale i would have cried too!!!

imagine just how the team feel...awww...
:( well youhzny-i can never spell his name right- u guys know u were watching, he was just playing better and better but yeah mathieu certainly cracked under the pressure--it wasn't all just because youhny was too good.

its just so heartbreaking for the losing team in DC every year coz they put all their heart and sole into it and there's probably no other team with better TEAM spirit than france. They lost but there's always next year. Their team depth is just getting better and better...seb, arnaud, santoro, mathieu, llodra and what about gasquet in the future?? it's gonna be even worse when we see news over the next days with russian celebrations but france has had a great 2 years and...couldn't get 2 in a row but 2 outta 3 years will be good!!!

Marilyn
12-02-2002, 09:14 AM
feeling better now? guys?
well i'm still sad, but the french hotties has brought me a great year anyway, so i can't be too hard on them ;) better luck next year france!

Marilyn
12-02-2002, 01:06 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021202/sge.akh35.021202125428.photo00.default-384x281.jpg
:hearts: Guy looks great in this one!

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021202/sge.akl76.021202132008.photo00.default-384x271.jpg

Marilyn
12-02-2002, 01:07 PM
Davis Cup: He's At It Again
Let no one say Guy Forget is afraid of risks.

For the second straight Davis Cup final, Forget made a last-minute change to his team. For the second straight time, he dumped Arnaud Clement. Last time, it was to bring in Cedric Pioline. Hardly an option this time, since Pioline is retired. In 2002, he went with the rookie, Paul-Henri Mathieu. And, yes, he set the kid up to play singles, #2 behind Sebastien Grosjean. That left Nicolas Escude and Fabrice Santoro in doubles.

It was a fascinating move. (Though Forget may not have had much choice; it was given out that Clement had tendonitis in his wrist.) Mathieu is pretty definitely a better player (at least right now) than Clement, but he was in a new situation. With two titles this year, he had big match experience. But Davis Cup is different -- and so are five set matches, as Mathieu learned at Roland Garros.

In 2001, the last-minute substitution worked. In 2002, it proved less effective at first blush. Mathieu got the worst position in the tie: Leading off against Marat Safin. A lousy time for a kid with a big weight on his shoulders, and probably the easiest match for Safin, since it was a non-decisive contest.

Safin won 6-4 2-6 6-1 6-4 in Friday's opening match, and Russia was up 1-0.

Fortunately for the hometown team, they had Sebastien Grosjean along. He evened things up with a routine 7-6 6-3 6-0 win. And he said that he was trying to wear Kafelnikov down. A smart strategy, with Kafelnikov due to play doubles the next day.

To a degree, it worked. Kafelnikov and Safin played doubles as scheduled the next day -- and lost in five sets to Escude and Santoro. So far, it was following the 2001 script. And the tie continued to follow the script, as Kafelnikov -- like Patrick Rafter last year -- wasn't able to play reverse singles. Marat Safin leveled the tie at 2-2 with a straight-set victory over Grosjean, but then Mikhail Youzhny had to come out to play Mathieu. Neither one, be it noted, had ever played a meaningful Davis Cup match till this week, and here they were, called upon to settle the thing.

And then a funny thing happened on the way to France's Davis Cup title: Mathieu ran out of gas. (Shades of his match with Andre Agassi at Roland Garros.) After winning the first two sets, he couldn't handle it in the last three. Youzhny won the match, and the title for Russia, 2-6 2-6 6-3 7-5 6-4.

We hate to think how Mathieu feels after losing both his matches....

But Youzhny is doubtless a new national hero, having brought Russia its first-ever Davis Cup. And Yevgeny Kafelnikov can retire in peace. If he wants to. (More on this later, once we are absolutely sure he means it.)

http://www.tennisone.com/Larson/Larsonnews.home.htm

Marilyn
12-02-2002, 01:10 PM

Paul-Henri, I know it's not easy for you, but can you tell the story of the match? How did you feel in the beginning?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: In the beginning of the match, it was all right. I was trying to be into the match immediately. It was not easy, though. With all the crowd, it was quite difficult. But I succeeded in getting into the match early. But after, it changed, and I don't know why.

Before going onto the court, you were in the locker rooms with Thierry. How did it happen?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: We talked a lot, we walked a bit outside. It was long to wait. But it's part of it.

After the beginning was great, you were up, how did it turn around?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I believe he started playing a lot better, and I was more defensive. But the difference was very little.

Were you surprised by what he was able to do?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Yes. It's true, he's a good player. He's not a zero.

How long have you known you were going to play the match?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Last night.

But against Youzhny?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: Well, last night I thought it was Kafelnikov. It was just this morning I knew it was Youzhny.

How did you feel your game compared with Friday?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I played better than Friday during the first two sets. I felt better.

Sebastien, Fabrice and Nico, you have more experiences. Some are happy, some are sad. What can you say to Paul-Henri to make him feel better?
NICOLAS ESCUDE: The only thing we can say is, "That's sport." There are happy days and bad days. Given the potential and the state of mind we are in, all of us, we certainly do not have to stop after this loss. Last year we had luck.
But Paul-Henri really doesn't have to regret anything about today. He proved with his past that he's a great player. I'm sure in the following years, he will be top in France.

Sebastien, you're the last French player who played Youzhny before Paul-Henri. Were you surprised at the level of his game in the third set?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: It's true he didn't start off well. But the more the match was going along, the better he was playing. He was very surprising in the end. I think he really took his chances. He took more chances than when I played him.

Can you tell us how you felt when there was this changeover in the situation, Fabrice?
FABRICE SANTORO: Well, in the beginning, Paul-Henri seemed to be up. He didn't have any letdown at all. But Youzhny raised his game considerably. It was his day today, I believe, simply.

Fabrice, you said you had the possibility of putting an end to your career tonight. What do you think?
FABRICE SANTORO: It's too beautiful to do that. I'll continue.

Was it more difficult, this match, or in Sopot? What tactics did you choose?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: I was not thinking about tactics. I was trying to play my game. In Sopot, I was not in very good condition to play the match, so it was more difficult.

Paul-Henri, your 2002 season was beautiful. This loss, is it spoiling it all?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: It's a strange question. A loss is very difficult to digest already. It's the end of the season. Now we lost and that's it. It's not bad. We are going to bounce back.

Discovering the Davis Cup, does it make you feel you want to play it again or, on the contrary, are you disgusted?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: How can you be disgusted after such an atmosphere? It's an incredible atmosphere. We are all together, all united. I can't believe we can be disgusted. It doesn't exist.

Paul-Henri, can you tell us what the other players told you, Guy Forget especially, after the match? What were their words?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: They told me I did everything I could, I tried everything. But, of course, the truth is that I'm disappointed.

You requested the support of the crowd in the beginning a lot. After did you feel it was less present?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: No, I didn't miss the support of the public. I believe they were behind me until the last point.

Which match was more difficult, Safin or Youzhny?
PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU: They were two completely different matches. Safin was my first match. This one was a decisive match, so it's completely different.

We are here on a difficult loss. If we look at the three days, we can realize that Safin was very impressive. We had the impression he was even better on clay than on hard courts. Did you also have the same impression?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: I think on fast surfaces, he beat No. 1 in the world in three straight sets. It's not a problem of surface really, it's just his level of game that was impressive during three days. The same during Bercy, on a different surface, fast surface. When Safin is confident, when he wants to play well, he can beat the best players in the world. Also Lleyton suffered from it in the finals in Bercy.
A. If the captain wouldn't have changed Kafelnikov, would you have changed Mathieu?
CAPTAIN FORGET: Mathieu was going to play anyway. Whether it was Kafelnikov or Youzhny, Paul-Henri was going to play that match.

Guy, after this loss, what is going to happen now? You worked together for two weeks. It's going to be difficult. You are going to be separated. Do you intend to stay in contact with the players to support them mentally, morally?
CAPTAIN FORGET: Yes, of course, we'll be in contact. I think our strength is this strong relationship we have all together. Today we are deeply touched because we really believed in it. When we want to reach a dream for the second time, you want it to come true, when you try so hard, you are so close to achieving it, it makes things very difficult to live with afterwards.
But this doesn't change at all the relationship we all have together. This is going to help us to overcome this loss and to start again next year with the same faith and the same motivation.

Why did the match change, in your opinion?
CAPTAIN FORGET: There are many little things. I was taking notes during the match. I know why Paul-Henri lost, and it's difficult to talk about it right now because he gave everything mentally and physically. He was very strong in his mind, in my opinion. Today the only thing he was lacking were technical things. He could have done different things on the court. He's not able to do them yet. He needs to work on it still a bit more, to have a more complete game. To win that kind of match at a certain time you need to be a bit stronger. It's not in the mind or physically, but it's just to be able to play a certain number of cards that he wasn't able to use today.

You said yesterday you were very tired. You said it was for Sebastien to try to win the first match. Can you sum up those three days?
CAPTAIN FORGET: I think each player and myself live things differently because I have no physical effort to make. I go to the warm-up of the first one, I go to the warm-up of the second one, I stay there during the matches. If you lived the doubles, as I did, which was very stressful, you are sitting down in a chair experiencing a match without being able to hold a racquet in your hands. It's very difficult.
I really believed in it, because I thought things were going well. Even when Sebastien was down 2-Love, I thought he could have won the third set. Marat was not playing as well in the end. He was starting to be nervous, to be annoyed. I would really have liked a fourth set. It would have been a completely different match. This didn't happen, so that was one disappointment. Then I had to start again with Paul-Henri.
He started beautifully, playing well. But the other one was cracking down. At 2-Love you start believing it, you think it's going to be too difficult for the other one to come back. Suddenly, things change over. There's one, two, three games, a set. You have to keep on going. Once Paul-Henri got broken, then he broke back. I was thinking, "It's not possible, it's not going to happen this way." All during the match I believed, "No, no, no, be positive, kill him." I showed him the direction to follow. I tried to put forth his qualities to congratulate him. Certain things he was doing were a bit average, so I was spending my time to repeat the same things.
Suddenly in the end when it's over, you feel a big weight on your shoulders. That's the role of the captain. Unfortunately, it's sometimes like that in sport.

Were you more surprised of the mental attitude of Safin or of Youzhny? It's the second time you've lost on clay at home. Do you have something to say about the choice of the surface?
CAPTAIN FORGET: I think both Safin and Youzhny were very strong mentally. It's more normal for Marat because he already won the US Open. But it's more surprising with Youzhny because he's young, like Paul-Henri, and he showed enormous mental qualities. Both of them were very strong in different aspects.
But I believe the loss against Australia can be explained because many errors were committed before the match. But this time we made no mistakes. What I regret, of course, is that Arnaud Clement was hurt. Maybe with his experience, his game, he could have been able to pose problems to Youzhny a bit more with his experience. We knew that on paper the Russians were stronger than we were, and it was a difference of two points only.

To come back to the two matches today, isn't it the first match that gives you more regrets?
CAPTAIN FORGET: For two sets, Marat was playing well. Sometimes I was watching Fabrice behind me. I was sort of thinking, "What can I say to Sebastien?" I couldn't see what he could do better. This is frustrating when you are on a court with a player who is playing well and it's not enough. What can you say more? It's a bit like a Formula 1 driver who has the best car, and he does his best round after round, he just has to expect an accident for the other ones.

Friday you said you didn't want to give too much advice to Paul-Henri. Today you spoke a lot to him. Wasn't it destabilizing for him?
CAPTAIN FORGET: We talked tactics before the match. During the match, he had difficulties respecting the tactics. It was not his fault because what happened was not scheduled beforehand. What I was telling him is just recalling to him what we had said before. It was a sort of internal fight within himself. He was able to face it.
In the end, he got excited, he was going beyond his normal level. I told him to take his time, to calm down because I knew he had trouble. He was watching me more and more. When someone watches you like that, you have to be able to say simple things, things that do you good, that are comforting.

So Paul-Henri is a player you want to see again?
CAPTAIN FORGET: Yes, absolutely.

Lindsayfan
12-02-2002, 06:23 PM
yes Guy is so hot in that picture! :drool:

esther
12-03-2002, 01:44 AM
guy during speech: 'i put forward the best French players, but you guys (russians) were too good for us'. He then turned to his own team, "Several times we've spoken of the 'magic recipe'. It's the unity between us that gives us strength. I guarentee, if we keep this state of mind, we will win again,'

:)

Lindsayfan
12-03-2002, 11:46 AM
wow esther u put as ur signature a Guy's quote..awwww sweet!! :kiss:

Lindsayfan
12-03-2002, 07:13 PM
Thierry Tulasne will be the new coach of Sebastien Grosjean.so he'll quit his job as coach of french DC team.i'm glad for him,but i'll miss him a lot.he did a great job as coach of french team and i'm sure he'll do a good job also with Seb.so good luck to both of them! ;)

btw..who'll be new coach of french team? :confused:

Tryphon
12-03-2002, 07:28 PM
I'm also curious to see who's going to be named DC coach. I hope it also will be somebody who goes along well with Guy and does a great job.

But good for Seb, he seems happy with the decision to work with Thierry so good luck to them. Seb has also hired Jérôme Bianchi, the DC trainer (and former member of the rugby national team) to travel part-time with him. That means he wants to make sure to avoid injuries next year!

Girls, did you see that there is a video of their visit to president Chirac on eurosport.fr? Gasquet was also there, to celebrate his junior world champ title, and Pioline arrived late!

Lindsayfan
12-03-2002, 08:05 PM
Tryphon,do u have an idea of who'll be named?i think will be Guy to decide..u dont think so?

Lindsayfan
12-03-2002, 08:18 PM
Leconte said that Guy is the most disappointed of the group,that he is in shock and that he is thinking he didnt do the right decisions.
no pls Guy dont think so,u r the best captain France could dream! :sad: :sad:

Tryphon
12-03-2002, 09:10 PM
Leconte thinks Guy is thinking that, but that's not what Guy said. ;)

He said something like he would do it all again because there's no reason to contest the choice of surface or players when they have been as close as 2 points away from victory, and if they had won just these 2 little points, everybody would say they were genius... (meaning: it's not like we had lost 3/0)

I have no idea for the new DC coach that's why I said I'm curious. I can't see Leconte doing that :D, Eric Deblicker maybe. Benhabiles if Roddick ever fires him. :D Olivier Delaître maybe?? Or Pioline now that he has retired. :o
I think the Federation will suggest names and Guy will make the final decision.

Lindsayfan
12-03-2002, 09:15 PM
nooo please not Pioline :fiery:
i'd love to see Deniau back! :)

Lindsayfan
12-03-2002, 10:19 PM
btw the video about french players and Chirac is great!and Guy was sitting at Chirac's right!! :)

Marilyn
12-04-2002, 05:30 AM
Yeah I saw that too :D :D :D

esther
12-04-2002, 05:47 AM
what what video???
about the signature vale, isn't it just perfect? it nearly made me cry again. lol DC is too emotional

Marilyn
12-04-2002, 07:24 AM
esther, this;) :
http://www.eurosport.com/multim/popup/VisuAudioVideo.asp?LangueID=0&VideoId=10267&SportID=57

esther
12-05-2002, 01:10 AM
thanks!

Tryphon
12-11-2002, 05:24 PM
You can see more DC pictures at www.atoutsport.com

Lindsayfan
12-11-2002, 06:36 PM
pics r great but r too much expensive!10 euros for one pic is really too much!a professional photo reporter asks me usually 2 euros/pic.
btw thanks Tryphon! :)

esther
12-12-2002, 01:29 AM
hey so that photo reporter of yours can take all these photos for you?! and you can buy them for 2 euros??? have you bought many?

Lindsayfan
12-12-2002, 11:25 AM
i know a photo reporter who goes to some atp and wta tourneys and she takes pics for her job,not for me.when she comes back home,i ask her pics of my fave players and she sends me them.she wants just 2 euros/pic.
i've bought about 20 pics,10 of lindsay and 10 of my fave male players.

esther
12-13-2002, 05:12 AM
you're so lucky! what a great job it must be being a PHOTO REPORTER!!! Does she only do sport or other stuff as well?

Lindsayfan
12-13-2002, 07:10 AM
only tennis!if u want,u can buy pix from her too.
tell me if u r interested in any pic,and i'll give u her email!

Lindsayfan
12-13-2002, 08:17 PM
update: the successor of Tulasne will be named next tuesday.

esther
12-14-2002, 02:01 AM
only tennis!if u want,u can buy pix from her too.
tell me if u r interested in any pic,and i'll give u her email!

but then i'll have to get EURO money won't i?? nah but thanks anyway!

esther
12-14-2002, 02:02 AM
this tuesday or next tuesday? arnaud's birthday or the 24th?

esther
12-14-2002, 02:02 AM
oh vale ur going to find out where in switzerland ur going to go to on Arnaud's birthday!! Let's hope that brings you good luck!

Lindsayfan
12-14-2002, 01:33 PM
yes esther,i hope it brings me good Luck and it brings me to Geneve! :angel:

esther
12-15-2002, 12:47 AM
Well 20 minutes from Geneva right?? lol u could actually go and visit Guy's house...you're not going to do that are you

Lindsayfan
12-15-2002, 08:31 AM
i dont know yet where i'll go...Lausanne,Fribourg or the same Geneve.i'm hoping for Geneve of course,but also the other 2 would be good! ;)

esther
12-16-2002, 04:52 AM
you've only got one more day to wait!

Lindsayfan
12-17-2002, 06:34 PM
just to say that i'm going to Fribourg at the end of february.
i would have preferred Geneve but Fribourg is good as well,just 1 hour and half from Geneve :angel:

esther
12-18-2002, 12:59 AM
hang on you were either going to Geneva, Fribourg or other non-french speaking parts of Switzerland right? so Fribourg was one of the places u really wanted to go to?
So thats great right??? I hope you have a fantastic time!