How many Slams will Raonic win in his career? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How many Slams will Raonic win in his career?

tommyg6
01-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Discuss. Will he have a Pete Sampras type of career? His game is quite similar to his and fast surfaces suite him well. I say he will have a Pete Sampras type of career and win a bunch of Wimbledons.

GSMnadal
01-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Thought it said 'how many career slams' will he win... answer would be the same: 0

Saberq
01-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Raonic at his best is 7th in the world or so....he is all serve with awful movement...Pete Sampras type career :haha:.....

misty1
01-04-2012, 04:33 PM
none..or 1

i could see him having an andy roddick like career

makesmewonder
01-04-2012, 04:35 PM
He's a promise guy. Too early to predict grand slams yet.

ossie
01-04-2012, 05:06 PM
zero

mark73
01-04-2012, 05:23 PM
anywhere from 0-20

GSMnadal
01-04-2012, 05:25 PM
anywhere from 0-20

Prepare to be quoted, sigged and laughed at the moment he reaches 21

EddieNero
01-04-2012, 05:26 PM
He can easily win Wimbledon/US Open when Fed, Nole and Nadal are gone.

mark73
01-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Prepare to be quoted, sigged and laughed at the moment he reaches 21

:p

HKz
01-04-2012, 05:47 PM
I honestly don't think he has a shot, at least not in this current generation. Anyone mentally strong, not like Verdasco, will beat Raonic. He will probably be a strong contender to knock out a top player in a slam, but I don't think he can take it all the way. The top 10 will all exploit his movement over the course of a best of 5 match and mentally Raonic is not on par with them at least yet. Maybe he can sneak out a US Open in a couple years time if he can get strong mentally to take on the top 10 and improve his body physically, but other than that, I really don't see how he can win a slam especially in the near future.

viruzzz
01-04-2012, 05:48 PM
I really hope Milos to bring glory to Canada.
It'd be awesome if he wins one slam, probably Wimbledon, it'd be really cool.

Hypnotize
01-04-2012, 05:49 PM
His serve is his only big weapon and if/when an opponent gets a read on it, he's very beatable. He also seems quite injury-prone which is worrying. He may sneak a slam like Roddick did but I think he'll have more of a Philippoussis type of career where he's always dangerous on fast courts but can't go the distance.

cocrcici
01-04-2012, 05:53 PM
We'll know much more after this year.

HKz
01-04-2012, 06:01 PM
His serve is his only big weapon and if/when an opponent gets a read on it, he's very beatable. He also seems quite injury-prone which is worrying. He may sneak a slam like Roddick did but I think he'll have more of a Philippoussis type of career where he's always dangerous on fast courts but can't go the distance.

Well I don't think he is anywhere near in the same class as Roddick. Roddick IMO didn't really sneak out his slam. In retrospect yes, one say his slam was snuck out especially considering the SF with Nalbandian, but you have to remember all the hype and game he did possess back then. Despite having a rather strange game now, Roddick did pack a lot of power off the ground along with a bigger serve than Raonic arguably, and with adequate movement around the court. Raonic is not in the same league as young-Roddick was. I mean before he turned 21, Roddick had produced some very good results both at the slams and at smaller events as well. If I remember right, before Roddick turned 20, he won like 5 titles and made a final at a Master's event. Raonic is already 21, and time certainly isn't slowing down..

mark73
01-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Discuss. Will he have a Pete Sampras type of career? His game is quite similar to his and fast surfaces suite him well. I say he will have a Pete Sampras type of career and win a bunch of Wimbledons.

If you are right you will become an MTF legend, one who we will talk about to our grandchildren. :D

Mountaindewslave
01-04-2012, 06:16 PM
I honestly don't think he has a shot, at least not in this current generation. Anyone mentally strong, not like Verdasco, will beat Raonic. He will probably be a strong contender to knock out a top player in a slam, but I don't think he can take it all the way. The top 10 will all exploit his movement over the course of a best of 5 match and mentally Raonic is not on par with them at least yet. Maybe he can sneak out a US Open in a couple years time if he can get strong mentally to take on the top 10 and improve his body physically, but other than that, I really don't see how he can win a slam especially in the near future.

this. Roddick is vastly underrated, he has had one of the best serves of tennis history and actually on a good day has fantastic groundstrokes. his slice he has been able too manipulate to get opponents off balance too.

Roddick definitely deserves his 1 slam, but I think as far as talent is concerned he deserves many more (obviously by his what, 4 other GS finals), and would have many more if not for a certain great Swiss player being across the net on numerous occasions. bad luck for him to be born when he was.

Raonic has potential and it is hard to say but I think we can say with some certainty he won't be a Sampras. NOt good enough movement and Raonic would have to game massive consistancy and potency with his strokes off the baseline, too often he loses baseline battles.

maybe 1 or 2 slams would be my guess. I think 1 is a very high possibility given the younger generation looks rather weak at the moment

Super Djoker
01-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Raonic has nothing on Sampras! 0 Slams and 0 masters! Maybe even 0 500 events! In his career I feel !

fmolinari2005
01-04-2012, 11:10 PM
It would be fun seeing him winning at least one GS title. We neeed more attacking players winning GS titles. It is getting boring seeing guys winning GS title through running marathons.

Topspindoctor
01-05-2012, 12:10 AM
How many slams has Karlovic/Isner/*insert any all serve mug here* won? There's your answer.

Mountaindewslave
01-05-2012, 03:26 AM
How many slams has Karlovic/Isner/*insert any all serve mug here* won? There's your answer.

it is a fair question though, the thread. If Raonic improves his ground game it could happen. have you forgotten that the reason Sampras one slams was almost entirely because of his serve? His serve and volleying skills were remarkable but the rest of his game didn't not have any GOAT shots.

Raonic is a more well rounded player than Karlovic (who isn't?) but it's funny you mention Isner because I think he is capable of winning a slam. He's been shadowed recently but after seeing him take Nadal to 5 at ROland Garros it really occurred to me that John can beat anyone at GS's he just has to hone in at the right moments

Chirag
01-05-2012, 03:52 AM
lets win 1 .Ask Murray how tough that is

Chirag
01-05-2012, 03:53 AM

Goran won 1 ....

Mae
01-05-2012, 04:18 AM
lets win 1 .Ask Murray how tough that is

Amen to that!

156mphserve
01-05-2012, 05:07 AM
subtract 2011 from the year he retires, then multiply that by 4, and you have your answer

Kat_YYZ
01-05-2012, 05:21 AM
subtract 2011 from the year he retires, then multiply that by 4, and you have your answer

:p so if he retires at the end of this season he'll have won 4 slams and the CYGS?? :haha: Too good, Serve :worship:

Chirag
01-05-2012, 05:41 AM
:p so if he retires at the end of this season he'll have won 4 slams and the CYGS?? :haha: Too good, Serve :worship:

I think you missed his point .He meant Raonic would get CYGS in every year till he retires :p:p

RafaNadal2012!!!
01-05-2012, 05:44 AM
Zero-One

ibreak4coffee
01-05-2012, 05:52 AM
Everyone talks about how Milos will win Wimbledon - IF (and that's a big if) he wins a slam, for my money is much more likely to happen in Melbourne or New York

Gillouthe best
01-05-2012, 11:22 AM
I don't thinks he will win a Slam. I could see him winning a Masters in Cincy or reaching the final/semi-final of a G.S, but he has not the potential to win a Slam.

buzz
01-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Goran won 1 ....

and so did Krajicek.

So if he is going to be a slam winner he will most likely win one slam

james82
01-05-2012, 12:14 PM
i think in 5 years from now it will be wide open and tennis will be like the 90s again with different winners at different slams
u would think the top 10 would consist of dimitrov,raonic,tomic and harrison plus others so yeh i think top 5 and a chance of a slam is very possible but i dunno how many

Saberq
01-05-2012, 12:41 PM
and so did Krajicek.

So if he is going to be a slam winner he will most likely win one slam

you gotta love that strong era

Shinoj
01-05-2012, 12:45 PM
this. Roddick is vastly underrated, he has had one of the best serves of tennis history and actually on a good day has fantastic groundstrokes. his slice he has been able too manipulate to get opponents off balance too.

Roddick definitely deserves his 1 slam, but I think as far as talent is concerned he deserves many more (obviously by his what, 4 other GS finals), and would have many more if not for a certain great Swiss player being across the net on numerous occasions. bad luck for him to be born when he was.

Raonic has potential and it is hard to say but I think we can say with some certainty he won't be a Sampras. NOt good enough movement and Raonic would have to game massive consistancy and potency with his strokes off the baseline, too often he loses baseline battles.

maybe 1 or 2 slams would be my guess. I think 1 is a very high possibility given the younger generation looks rather weak at the moment

Roddick def deserved more than 1 Slam for his talent. I think he got disheartened by the fact Federer was constantly beating him.

m9m9m9m9m9
01-05-2012, 01:05 PM
As a Milos fan, I don't even think about chances of winning a slam..
His groundstrokes justify his ranking, just his ROS and movement still way below par, but I like the fact that he knows exactly what part of his game need to be worked on and his dedication, motivation, attitude and mental game is definitely the best among the youngsters.

jcempire
01-05-2012, 10:18 PM
4-6 slams

This is one of best young talents

tommyg6
01-05-2012, 10:21 PM
He's got a rocket of a serve like Sampras and the winning attitude of him as well.

Saberq
01-05-2012, 10:41 PM
He's got a rocket of a serve like Sampras and the winning attitude of him as well.

his serve is not even close to Pete's

Time Violation
01-06-2012, 12:20 AM
4-6 slams

This is one of best young talents

Ferrer is miles better than any of the 'young talents' and still hasn't got a Masters.

swisht4u
01-06-2012, 12:37 AM
Roanic has a great serve and is very young.
He's also got a good head and has comeback from a set down at times so that looks good.
His body still looks like it isn't quite fully developed and that should change in a year or two.
With some solid work in the many areas he 'should' improve quite a bit.
It's possible he gets a slam as he hasn't got very close to his potential yet but has a lot of time.

I thought the same about Gulbis but came up empty on that prediction so far. :confused:

EliSter
01-06-2012, 12:43 AM
He should win master first or some good title ...GS 0.

Topspindoctor
01-06-2012, 12:49 AM
it is a fair question though, the thread. If Raonic improves his ground game it could happen. have you forgotten that the reason Sampras one slams was almost entirely because of his serve? His serve and volleying skills were remarkable but the rest of his game didn't not have any GOAT shots.

Raonic is a more well rounded player than Karlovic (who isn't?) but it's funny you mention Isner because I think he is capable of winning a slam. He's been shadowed recently but after seeing him take Nadal to 5 at ROland Garros it really occurred to me that John can beat anyone at GS's he just has to hone in at the right moments

Movement is the name of today's game - just check out the top 4 - all have magnificent movement. Raonic with his shitty footwork and shitty backhand is not even top 10 material. It's proposterous to suggest he is slam winning material. I doubt he'll win even masters 1000 in his career. He's overhyped and overrated, 250/500 events is all he'll ever win.

tommyg6
01-06-2012, 12:53 AM
Movement is the name of today's game - just check out the top 4 - all have magnificent movement. Raonic with his shitty footwork and shitty backhand is not even top 10 material. It's proposterous to suggest he is slam winning material. I doubt he'll win even masters 1000 in his career. He's overhyped and overrated, 250/500 events is all he'll ever win.

you saying he's a Rusedski 2.0?

Topspindoctor
01-06-2012, 12:56 AM
you saying he's a Rusedski 2.0?

He's Isner 2.0 - in fact the similarities are very easy to see.

Snowwy
01-06-2012, 01:48 AM
I think it is quite unlikely he will win a slam.

abraxas21
01-06-2012, 01:54 AM
Milos will win 0 Grand Slams.

today's conditions are too slow for his power game