Multi slam year possible for federer? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Multi slam year possible for federer?

FedvsNole
01-03-2012, 11:52 PM
If federer wins the first slam of the year and becomes number 2 in the rankings does he have a multi slam year in 2012 in your opinion?

Certinfy
01-03-2012, 11:54 PM
:haha: No.

betowiec
01-03-2012, 11:57 PM
fed to win as many gs titles as he did in 2011

Topspindoctor
01-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Olderer can win slams with the following draw:

R1: Ryan Sweeting
R2: (WC) Lleyton Hewitt
R3: Fabio Fognini
R4: Stanislas Mugwrinka
QF: Andy Rodmug
SF: Walkover (can't have Olderer too tired for the final)
F: Andy Mugray (coming off 2 consecutive 5 setters in QF/SF)

Saberq
01-04-2012, 12:00 AM

:haha:

Johnny Groove
01-04-2012, 12:00 AM
Whoever wins the AO has a great shot at a multi slam season :yeah:

Just 2 days ago this site was burying Fed, now he's going to win 2-3 (or more) slams this year, plus Olympic Gold, oh yeah, and Davis Cup too :yeah:

Saberq
01-04-2012, 12:03 AM
I mean he can win 2 Slams but you know he wont ...

tests
01-04-2012, 12:33 AM
LOL, so because federer dominated an out of form kohli, he is going to suddenly win numerous slams? Wait till he faces nadull or djokovic. He will get pounced on (and this is coming from someone who is a fan of fed)

FedvsNole
01-04-2012, 02:59 AM
I mean I've picked federer for AO 2012 for awhile now this kohli match didn't have to do with it other than federer looking a trimmer than he was at london and moving well. I like that he's added a new conditioning trainer to his team and am very confident he wins a slam this year but if he gets through AO 2012 with a win I really feel he WILL win another slam this year.

Saberq
01-04-2012, 03:07 AM
I mean I've picked federer for AO 2012 for awhile now this kohli match didn't have to do with it other than federer looking a trimmer than he was at london and moving well. I like that he's added a new conditioning trainer to his team and am very confident he wins a slam this year but if he gets through AO 2012 with a win I really feel he WILL win another slam this year.

another guy said Fed put on a few pounds of muscle

Arakasi
01-04-2012, 03:11 AM
Federer could easily win 0 slams this year. If he wins in Australia, and gets the #2 seed then he'd probably be favoured to win a second slam this year as well.

If any of the top 3 win in Australia then they'll be quite likely to win a second slam in 2011 in my opinion.

FedvsNole
01-04-2012, 03:16 AM
another guy said Fed put on a few pounds of muscle

People mistake the illusion of adding muscle when you lose weight but look more cut. This is exactly how federer looked less fat on his face and abs. Someone said because he's wearing a tighter shirt instead of a polo thats why he looks slimmer. Unlikely, bc his belly would be more pronounced in a tight shirt than a polo. I'd say he's lost about 5 pounds even the commentators were talking about it but his groundies have not suffered at all. The commentators were saying how well he was covering the court but let's see a few more matches to gauge his movement. I really like the shirt and may get one for myself.

piksi
01-04-2012, 03:18 AM
Federer won't win AA and that will take care of "multi slam" season.

Chirag
01-04-2012, 03:20 AM
Of course he wont .But will be happy if he does :D

calvinhobbes
01-04-2012, 03:24 AM
LOL, so because federer dominated an out of form kohli, he is going to suddenly win numerous slams? Wait till he faces nadull or djokovic. He will get pounced on (and this is coming from someone who is a fan of fed)
Do you mean Kohli or Kolya? Kohli fought bravely against Nady. As for Kolya...:sad::sad:

mark73
01-04-2012, 03:28 AM
IF (I repeat IF) Fed wins the AO that obviously means he becomes the man to beat at the moment. In that case he surely has a good chance of winning another.
I actually think Fed will win the AO. People who ride of Fed forget how close he has come to winning a slam on several occassions since AO 2010.

atennisfan
01-04-2012, 03:29 AM
My God,

people strong opinions in MTF changed by day.

Right before Abu Dhabi: Roger will win golden CYGS, during and after Abu Dhabi: Roger will win zero match in 2012, after 1R Doha: Roger will win AO and possibly multislams.

mark73
01-04-2012, 03:32 AM
My God,

people strong opinions in MTF changed by day.

Right before Abu Dhabi: Roger will win golden CYGS, during and after Abu Dhabi: Roger will win zero match in 2012, after 1R Doha: Roger will win AO and possibly multislams.

True for some people but I've been picking Fed since he won the WTF.

rickcastle
01-04-2012, 03:49 AM
IF (I repeat IF) Fed wins the AO that obviously means he becomes the man to beat at the moment. In that case he surely has a good chance of winning another.
I actually think Fed will win the AO. People who ride of Fed forget how close he has come to winning a slam on several occassions since AO 2010.

Exactly. The only player who can be relied on to beat Federer most of the time on slams is Nadal. With Djokovic, it's 50/50 and mostly depends on which Federer comes out to play. If he manages to get the no. 2 ranking and gets lucky with the draw (Nadal and Djokovic both on the other side, Djokovic takes out Nadal for him), I don't see how it's so impossible for him to win another slam or two.

MIMIC
01-04-2012, 03:56 AM

RG 2010: Rafa didn't lose early
WB 2010: Rafa didn't lose early
USO 2010: Rafa didn't lose early
AO 2011: lost in straights to Novak
RG 2011: Rafa didn't lose early
WB 2011: Rafa didn't lose eaarly
USO 2011: Rafa didn't lose early

His only chance was the 2011 Australian Open, and that's if you completely ignore the hottest player on tour.

FedvsNole
01-04-2012, 04:01 AM
Yeah, the last non clay slam between fed-nadal was back in 09 australia so it's almost been 3 years since the last non-clay slam.

Would love to see a fed-nadal semi down under but we all know nole-fed will always be paired up.

FedvsNole
01-04-2012, 04:08 AM

His only chance was the 2011 Australian Open, and that's if you completely ignore the hottest player on tour.

Rafa doesn't lose early bc he gets to play mugray in every slam semi. If he had to play nole as often as fed does, he would have lost in the semi's in a few of those slams including roland garros having to go through nole every time.

piksi
01-04-2012, 04:10 AM
Lots of things would have to go right for Federer in order to win AO. Either Novak or Rafa would have to lose before playing him because he won't beat the both. Nadal can't be 100% healthy because no way Federer can beat him if Rafa is 100%. Also Federer would need ridiculous sieving to beat Novak.Playing Murray in the finals would help. Also avoiding players like Berdych, Tsonga and Del Potro would be important. It is not impossible but it is highly unlikely. At this stage of his career where he got little worse and the competition lot better it has become very difficult. The fact that he won bunch of matches in the fall means as much as the losses at exho last week. He won't be a favorite to win it so that might help him. When tyhe draw comes out we will be able to predict more but as of now, I wouldn't bet any money on him despite him winning is way more likely than Murray doing it. Safest bet is still the Novak - Rafa finals. Anything else would be somewhat surprising.

FedvsNole
01-04-2012, 04:17 AM
The draw is very predictable.

1. Fed-nole in the same half
2. Fed vs tsonga/berych qf; same for nole
3. Nadal plays ferrer in qf
4. Expect another top 4 semi's

NID

mark73
01-04-2012, 04:20 AM

I'm not talking about rafa. :rolleyes:

mark73
01-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Lots of things would have to go right for Federer in order to win AO. Either Novak or Rafa would have to lose before playing him because he won't beat the both. Nadal can't be 100% healthy because no way Federer can beat him if Rafa is 100%. Also Federer would need ridiculous sieving to beat Novak.Playing Murray in the finals would help. Also avoiding players like Berdych, Tsonga and Del Potro would be important. It is not impossible but it is highly unlikely. At this stage of his career where he got little worse and the competition lot better it has become very difficult. The fact that he won bunch of matches in the fall means as much as the losses at exho last week. He won't be a favorite to win it so that might help him. When tyhe draw comes out we will be able to predict more but as of now, I wouldn't bet any money on him despite him winning is way more likely than Murray doing it. Safest bet is still the Novak - Rafa finals. Anything else would be somewhat surprising.

The bookies have him a strong second to djokovic.

http://www.oddschecker.com/tennis/australian-open/mens-australian-open

piksi
01-04-2012, 04:28 AM
they also have Cilic as best Croatian despite the fact that Marin won't even play. Bookies have been wrong last season a lot.

mark73
01-04-2012, 04:30 AM
they also have Cilic as best Croatian despite the fact that Marin won't even play. Bookies have been wrong last season a lot.

Of course but they know more (they have to, to make a living) then the vast majority of tennis fans.

finishingmove
01-04-2012, 04:46 AM
Get real.

JediFed
01-04-2012, 07:10 AM
G: As likely as Murray is to win a slam. :D

GSMnadal
01-04-2012, 07:18 AM
:haha: No.

G: As likely as Murray is to win a slam. :D

Couldn't have said it better than these three... Although Murray actually has a lot more chance to win a slam than Federer, and that's saying something.

The only tournaments Fed can still win are indoors or 250's.

MachineGun
01-04-2012, 07:29 AM
If he does win Australian Open, he will statistically have the greatest chance to win 2 slams. If he did, I think the 2nd slam would be Wimbledon.

Looner
01-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Oh, you lovely haters, I can't wait for Fed to make you all eat a big, fat, juice and black crow.

masterclass
01-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Whoever wins the AO has a great shot at a multi slam season :yeah:

Just 2 days ago this site was burying Fed, now he's going to win 2-3 (or more) slams this year, plus Olympic Gold, oh yeah, and Davis Cup too :yeah:

^Spot on. :hatoff:
-masterclass

GSMnadal
01-04-2012, 08:19 AM
^Spot on. :hatoff:
-masterclass

Just stop with that '-masterclass', it's annoying

-GSMnadal

nalbyfan
01-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Goat cheese will win 18 GS in Challenger category, no risk to find Nole or Kinder Bueno on his way

masterclass
01-04-2012, 08:46 AM

Though I agree with some of this, it is a non sequitur. The poll's premise isn't a debate about whether he will win the Australian Open or not, it's a given.
The poll states:
"If fed wins AO 2012 and becomes number 2 does he have a multi slam year?"

Under those conditions (if it means he is #2 seed at every slam), he would have a reasonable chance of multiple slam victories in 2012.

-masterclass

masterclass
01-04-2012, 08:59 AM

-GSMnadal

LOL, I had always thought it was an understated signature, compared to most here.
Is this better?

Respectfully,
*****masterclass*****

SheenKJohn
01-04-2012, 09:01 AM

-GSMnadal

GTFO

-Superman_Nadal

:cool:

GSMnadal
01-04-2012, 09:03 AM
LOL, I had always thought it was an understated signature, compared to most here.
Is this better?

Respectfully,
*****masterclass*****

Yes, it's MTF... you should always take the 'in your face' approach

masterclass
01-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Yes, it's MTF... you should always take the 'in your face' approach

Eh, I shouldn't succumb to nor be corrupted by the masses...;):cool:

Respectfully,
masterclass

Sombrerero loco
01-04-2012, 09:21 AM
lol, no way...

buzz
01-04-2012, 09:25 AM

So you think Federer would stand no chance against Nadal in the USO 2010 and 2011 if he beat Djokovic in the semi? I would give Federer at least 50-50

GSMnadal
01-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Eh, I shouldn't succumb to nor be corrupted by the masses...;):cool:

Respectfully,
masterclass

Resistance is futile, sooner rather than later, no one will be able to resist the powerhouse that is peer pressure from MTF

samanosuke
01-04-2012, 09:35 AM

spot on :yeah:

this is exactly the way how pig won at least 5 slams just except murray in finals he was playing slaverer on clay, puerta or exhausted djokovic

MIMIC
01-04-2012, 09:50 AM
So you think Federer would stand no chance against Nadal in the USO 2010 and 2011 if he beat Djokovic in the semi? I would give Federer at least 50-50

The chance would be microscopic.

Shinoj
01-04-2012, 12:01 PM
One of the Slams and either of Basel or Dubai. Thats it.

bokehlicious
01-04-2012, 12:06 PM
I don't think he will (although I would love to obv). I mean nobody expects players to win slams till 40 years old. Who cares anyway, his 16 slams won't be beaten anytime soon and that's all that truly matters to fans I guess.

sicko
01-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Well, I'm not so sure about the multi slam, but another multi million year? Yeeees.
:wavey:

Saberq
01-04-2012, 12:12 PM
I don't think he will (although I would love to obv). I mean nobody expects players to win slams till 40 years old. Who cares anyway, his 16 slams won't be beaten anytime soon and that's all that truly matters to fans I guess.

his 30 years old man he's not dying .....

bokehlicious
01-04-2012, 12:14 PM
his 30 years old man he's not dying .....

He's 31. Very few players in history won slams after 30. We'll see how many slams will djoker or nadull win at that age.

EliSter
01-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Nadul even past 30 with broken leg would be able to win RG against Fed, Djoker we will see...depends if he change his gamestyle while getting older...anyways on OP question, No.

finishingmove
01-04-2012, 12:31 PM
About as likely as pigs flying to be precise.

Nole's Golden Slam is more likely.

Saberq
01-04-2012, 12:33 PM
He's 31. Very few players in history won slams after 30. We'll see how many slams will djoker or nadull win at that age.

you do know that prior to this year Novak had zero injury problems right?Anyway I doubt Novak will play past 2014

bokehlicious
01-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Nadul even past 30 with broken leg would be able to win RG against Fed.

There will be gazillion of new guns that will toy will 30 years old wheelchaired kneedal :shrug:

bokehlicious
01-04-2012, 12:35 PM
you do know that prior to this year Novak had zero injury problems right?

You surely do know that joker tends to play a grinding physical game that very few can sustain in their 30s, right?

arm
01-04-2012, 12:39 PM
The draw is very predictable.

1. Fed-nole in the same half
2. Fed vs tsonga/berych qf; same for nole
3. Nadal plays ferrer in qf
4. Expect another top 4 semi's

NID

quoted for truth.

About as likely as pigs flying to be precise.

Nole's Golden Slam is more likely.

http://www.yourroadmaptohome.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/gk324_flying-pig-rgb-final_lr_web.jpg

MariaV
01-04-2012, 12:43 PM

Nadull will retire or switch to golf after this season. :hug: :hug: :hug:

There will be gazillion of new guns that will toy will 30 years old wheelchaired kneedal :shrug:

Nadull will be retired long before the age of 30. :D :D :D

Shinoj
01-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Nadul even past 30 with broken leg would be able to win RG against Fed, Djoker we will see...depends if he change his gamestyle while getting older...anyways on OP question, No.

Nadal is 25 and he is looking mighty patches up. What are the Odds? Quite low i say, quite low

Saberq
01-04-2012, 12:55 PM
You surely do know that joker tends to play a grinding physical game that very few can sustain in their 30s, right?

true but I kinda have faith in him.......

abraxas21
01-04-2012, 12:56 PM
lol how did MTF suddenly went from 'federer looking in awful form' to this?

i wonder what thread we'll see if fed loses in doha

Egreen
01-04-2012, 01:02 PM
you do know that prior to this year Novak had zero injury problems right?Anyway I doubt Novak will play past 2014

Look how massively Federer declined in 2008 when he was 27.

Nadal's and Djokovic's decline at 27 will be way more drastic than Federer's to the point they won't be winning slams at 27 or older.

26 is probably the age when Nadal and Djokovic will be winning their last slam.

As for the thread(I voted yes) if Federer wins the AO he could very likely win another slam

Thing is I'm not so sure Federer will win the AO. Djokovic is too good there atm.

MariaV
01-04-2012, 01:06 PM

Then ppl on MTF will ask him to retire. Simple as that. :shrug:

bokehlicious
01-04-2012, 01:11 PM
true but I kinda have faith in him.......

I get that. I agree one shouldn't underestimate the "egg" power.

RIboy
01-04-2012, 01:14 PM
No .... don't see him beating Faker or Nadull @GS's

Egreen
01-04-2012, 01:19 PM
No .... don't see him beating Faker or Nadull @GS's

Federer could actually beat Djokovic at RG or Wimbledon, imo.

finishingmove
01-04-2012, 01:22 PM

Would be a major upset.

I'd be less surprised if Djokovic lost to Tsonga.

Egreen
01-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Would be a major upset.

I'd be less surprised if Djokovic lost to Tsonga.

Djokovic is not that great at slams on natural surfaces. Agassi-like.

I will be surprised if he wins multiple slams at RG or at Wimbledon.

He could end up with more HC slams than Agassi though.

RIboy
01-04-2012, 01:30 PM

u must have a hawk eye when u can see that....i would need a electron microscope to see something like that

Egreen
01-04-2012, 01:32 PM
u must have a hawk eye when u can see that....i would need a electron microscope to see something like that

Federer is a bad matchup for Djokovic, specially outside of HC.

Johnny Groove
01-04-2012, 01:52 PM
spot on :yeah:

this is exactly the way how pig won at least 5 slams just except murray in finals he was playing slaverer on clay, puerta or exhausted djokovic

:lol:

Nadal will fire Uncle Toni, hire Stefan Edberg, and convert to a 100% serve and volley game by age 30 :yeah:

He clearly will have to retire for his fans.

tripwires
01-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Roger will win the calendar year grand slam. :hearts:

Seriously though, who knows if he's gonna win multiple slams this year? At this point I'd be happy with just one. :)

Looner
01-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Now I know it's not going to happen but I would love to see the reactions on MTF if Fed won the CYGS in 2012. I think there won't be enough space for all the gems even if we use Mars.

Saberq
01-04-2012, 03:07 PM
I get that. I agree one shouldn't underestimate the "egg" power.

yeah we believe in the egg pod

Djokovic is not that great at slams on natural surfaces. Agassi-like.

I will be surprised if he wins multiple slams at RG or at Wimbledon.

He could end up with more HC slams than Agassi though.

I disagree for clay.....Fed is always the favorite on grass....I still dont know how Novak won Wimbledon

Shinoj
01-04-2012, 03:17 PM
I thought Nadal would burn out after few years. But after 6 years he is still at Top. So anybody can be fit if he wants to...It all depends on Federer's motivation level.

Give him a Jimmy C like fire and he can still roll a few years at the Top.

Mystique
01-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Federer is a bad matchup for Djokovic, specially outside of HC.

I disagree. Federer is not a bad matchup for Djokovic. Djokovic doesnt exactly struggle against Federer, he has the game to beat Federer maybe even when Federer is playing close to his best. The thing is, this works vice versa too in this particular match-up. Thats not the case for Nadal-Federer or Nadal-Djokovic.
Most of the time, Federer's matches are in his own hands, it has a lot to do with how HE plays because Federer is usually the more attacking player and when he gets it right, it becomes very hard for the opponent, whoever it is. Its the same with Novak that is all.
And as you say, outside of Hard Court, Federer's best on the other surfaces still trumps Novak's best. Its very very close on clay, but on grass, Fed's best would have dismissed Novak (but sadly Federer has declined horribly on grass offlate)
But overall, Fed is not really a "bad matchup" per se for Novak.
Federer-Nadal. Federer-Soderling...Now THOSE are the real bad matchups.