Out of competiton for the rest of the 2012 - Cheering Thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Out of competiton for the rest of the 2012 - Cheering Thread

Pages : [1] 2

MariaV
01-02-2012, 10:57 AM
So 2012 and Doha is here. VAMOS! :rocker:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/01/1/Doha-Federer-Nadal-Sunset-Tennis-Candles.aspx

http://wikitravel.org/upload/shared//thumb/c/c4/DohaWestBay.JPG/300px-DohaWestBay.JPG
http://www.halcrow.com/Global/Images/qatar/Doha-skyline-night-1_512.jpg

First match vs Kohlschreiber. :scared: :unsure:

MariaV
01-02-2012, 01:32 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/000s5AH0Vy7DE/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aDc1DP60G96p/x610.jpg
Rafael Nadal of Spain speaks during a press conference ahead of the ATP Qatar Open Tennis tournament at Khalifa Tennis and Squash Complex in Doha on January 2, 2012.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0cle1bF05k3Wr/610x.jpg
In this Sunday, Jan. 1, 2012 photo released by Qatar Tennis Federation, or QTF, Rafael Nadal presents in a showcase ahead of the Qatar ExxonMobil Open and the 2012 ATP World Tour season at an amphitheater in the cultural village of Katara in Doha, Qatar. Over 4,000 Roman candles were lit to illuminate the amphitheater to celebrate the 20th anniversary of men's professional tennis in Doha.

star
01-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Is it true that MIT is a thing of the past? :awww: :sad: :tears: :bigcry: :sobbing:

Naudio Spanlatine
01-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Good luck my Rafa Warrior,:worship: :cheerleader: :inlove: :angel: :banana: :rocker2: :bowdown:

MariaV
01-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Is it true that MIT is a thing of the past? :awww: :sad: :tears: :bigcry: :sobbing:

Obviously. :sad:

acionescu
01-02-2012, 07:14 PM
The **** is not looking good, it must be said...:sadface:

MariaV
01-02-2012, 08:11 PM
OMG Rafa vs Kohli 2nd on Center tomorrow. :scared: :unsure: :help: :bolt:

Metis
01-02-2012, 08:58 PM

I'm afraid it is. :hug:

All good things must come to an end... :sad:

tennizen
01-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Rip Mit.

star
01-02-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm afraid it is. :hug:

All good things must come to an end... :sad:

Like the **** :sad:

MariaV
01-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Star, stop stirring things up! ;) :ras: :(

MariaV
01-03-2012, 05:25 PM
OK after a light scare Rafa bt Kohlschreiber 6-3 6-7(2) 6-3. :D Phewwww! The first official match, so should get better. :D
Broke back in the 2nd set but the TB was :smash: :banghead:

Denis Gremelmayr, another German next. :scared: :unsure:

Foxy
01-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Looking good. I see some improvements mostly to his backhand. Djoko will have some troubles this year!

RafaForever
01-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Backhand :yeah:

Naudio Spanlatine
01-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Rafa was ok, not great but ok, at least he won the match not his best performance but good enough to win it:cool:

MariaV
01-04-2012, 07:14 AM
Looking good. I see some improvements mostly to his backhand. Djoko will have some troubles this year!

Yeah, it was an improvement but I can only pray he'll be able to beat Nole. Nole looks mighty good still, and you know these mental issues... :o :o :o But I keep praying so hopefully it'll be a good season for Rafa. :D :D
At least his mood seems OK. :)
Rafa up 2nd again on Center today vs Gremelmayr. Vamos! :bounce: :bigclap:

MariaV
01-04-2012, 09:15 AM
"I'm very happy about my level," stated Nadal. "I think I played a very good first set. The only moment that I didn't play well was the beginning of the second and after the tie-break. For the rest [of the match], I think I played solid." :o :o

After winning the first set, Nadal fell behind 1-4 before winning three straight games to even the second set. The two battled their way into a tie-break, and it was Kohlschreiber who grabbed an early mini-break, closing the 'breaker out with ease to send the match to a deciding third set.

Kohlschreiber broke to begin the final set, but was unable to maintain his advantage, dropping serve in the ensuing game. Nadal converted a second break to move ahead 3-1, and finished off the match with a routine service game to take the hard-fought meeting in two hours and 33 minutes. "He can play at a very high level," Nadal said. "He has fantastic shots. His serve worked very well for him in moments today, [as well as] his return. Sometimes I felt that I was serving okay, and sometimes his return was very fast. So it was difficult." :awww: :o :o :tape:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/01/1/Doha-Tuesday-Nadal-Tested-By-Kohlschreiber.aspx

Guest12315544
01-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Rafa won the 1st Set today :)

MariaV
01-04-2012, 03:29 PM
6-2 6-2 vs Gremelmayr, not bad, not bad. :D Very windy conditions. Let's hope Rafa will keep improving till the AO and all the injury worries are behind us. He actually needed the rest during the offseason after the Davis Cup.

MariaV
01-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Wow, so cool to post here all alone. :D :cool:

Rafa will play vs Youzhny 3rd on Center tomorrow after Federer vs Seppi. :yawn: :zzz:
Vamos! :bounce: :bigclap:

Naudio Spanlatine
01-05-2012, 12:12 AM
Rafa:inlove:

Foxy
01-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Bamos, Rafa, humiliate the Colonel!

MariaV
01-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Bamos, Rafa, humiliate the Colonel!

Yeah well hopefully the Colonel is not the same he was in 2006. ;) :o :o
SF vs Monfils would be tricky though. :scared: :unsure: This Clownfils seems to be in pretty good shape still. :(

MariaV
01-05-2012, 10:55 AM
"Today the conditions were difficult, but I think I played another solid match, doing a few things really well," assessed Nadal. "I hit good returns, aggressive ones, and good backhands. I think I played a complete match." :)

Playing with a slightly heavier racquet, Nadal won 33 of his 40 service points and saved the only break point he faced. The 2010 runner-up (l. to Davydenko) converted four of 15 break point opportunities for victory in 90 minutes. "I think I'm returning better, especially [compared to] the last part of the 2011 season," Nadal said. "So that's important, because the beginning of the points a lot of times are the key.

"I'm happy about how my return has worked the two days here and how a few things have worked well with the new weight of the racquet. I'm starting to have good feelings." :D

And yes he smiled again after the match. There's still work to be done but Rafa if anyone can do it. Vamos! :bounce: :bigclap:
Mugs like Kohli & Gremelmayr are hardly any comparison though. :o :o :o Let's see IF he can reach the likes of evil Nole or even Murray at the AO again. :scared: :unsure: :tape: :bolt:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/01/1/Doha-Wednesday-Tsonga-Nadal-Federer-In-Action.aspx

MariaV
01-05-2012, 05:16 PM
6-4 6-4 vs Youzhny. Was 4-1 two breaks up in the 2nd set when he let Youzhny break back. And almost f***ed it up serving for the match too. :o

Ben.
01-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Very good stuff from Rafa today, the mental walkabout at the end aside. Forehand was looking much better than the previous rounds and BH was still looking good. A trophy this week would be great for his confidence I'm sure, particularly as it will have to come against Fed/Tsonga.

MariaV
01-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Yeah well he wanted to kill me at the end with his 'mental walkabout'. :o :o :help: :tape:
So not sure about the trophy but we can hope. :o Semis vs Clownfils 2nd on Center tomorrow. Vamos Rafa! :bounce: :bigclap:

Naudio Spanlatine
01-05-2012, 07:53 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

evilmindbulgaria
01-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Rafa has played very well so far in Doha. Backhand has improved, return of serve has improved. However, his First serve is nowhere near his USOpen'10/Australian Open'09/Wimbledon'08 levels and his Second serve needs work too.

VAMOS!

Guest12315544
01-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Vamos Rafa :woohoo: Gee it feels so good to be typing that again after last year :facepalm:

MariaV
01-06-2012, 11:09 AM
"For a lot of moments during the match, I played at a very, very high level, moving very well, going inside the court. I had control of the point most of the time against a player that I normally [am not able to dictate], because his level has always put me in trouble in the past."

The Spaniard won 75 per cent of his first serve points, and was proficient at the net, taking eight of nine points when he came forward to win for the ninth time in 13 meetings against Youzhny. "I think I was moving fast. I tried to go to the net a lot of times," Nadal said afterwards on court. "That's what I need to keep doing if I want to compete against the top players. Mikhail is a fantastic player and it was tough. But I think I did well." :) :) Apart from that little brain malfunction. :o :o

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/01/1/Doha-Thursday-Nadal-Tops-Youzhny-Monfils-Faces-Troicki.aspx

Guest12315544
01-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Roger has withdrawn from Doha.

star
01-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Roger has withdrawn from Doha.

Fed forum :p

MariaV
01-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Don't be mean Star!

Ah well Rafa lost 3-6 4-6 to Clownfils. I only saw the end, he was a break up so wth happened, did he serve like a :stupid: again?
:bigwave:

!VamosRafa!
01-06-2012, 04:22 PM
He had a 4-1 lead in the 2nd set and even had chances to go 5-1 up :sobbing:

What a chocking mug :rolleyes:

Guest12315544
01-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Rafa :sad:

Naudio Spanlatine
01-07-2012, 02:46 AM
OMG:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

born_on_clay
01-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Considering mental aspects of the game Rafa is not the same Rafa we all used to know :mad:

Ben.
01-07-2012, 12:14 PM
^Yep. Rafa was hitting the ball well enough but he cost himself so many points by not coming to the net and allowing Gael to stay in the points. Shocking though, is the fact he cannot win any close games or even earn some BPs at numerous 30-30s on return, 0-30 when Monfils was serving for the first set, etc. Even the commentator said Rafa needed the double break to win the set, he didn't get it and he didn't win the set. I knew I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up for a title.

MariaV
01-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Yeah, wth is wrong with him? :( :( :sad:
At least he was playing better & nore aggressively than at the end of last year and he was even smiling again so gotta look for positive signs. But defo not ready to face the big guns yet. We'll see at the AO if he can improve.

Foxy
01-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Yeah, wth is wrong with him? :( :( :sad:
At least he was playing better & nore aggressively than at the end of last year and he was even smiling again so gotta look for positive signs. But defo not ready to face the big guns yet. We'll see at the AO if he can improve.

The aggressiveness costs him this match and will cost him some more matches he needs to reverse more to his skills of patience rather than pressing the fire button too early. He needs to be like Djokovic - perfect mix of patience and winner timing. On another note Monfils got a little lucky in so many points during the match - I can think of at least 4. Just remember when Rafa slipped. That was the turning point where it all went south. So I don't yet write him off. There is so much time until the second week of AO where he can start hitting his strides right. And I believe it.

Edda
01-08-2012, 01:31 AM
Oh, Rafa! Too bad! I hope the rest of the year is better for you. Last year was such a horrible year in so many ways and it's looking like 2012 will be no better.

Foxy
01-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Oh, Rafa! Too bad! I hope the rest of the year is better for you. Last year was such a horrible year in so many ways and it's looking like 2012 will be no better.

Yes, 2009 and 2011 have been his worst years! He is quite better at the even years - 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012?

MariaV
01-08-2012, 02:12 PM
The aggressiveness costs him this match and will cost him some more matches he needs to reverse more to his skills of patience rather than pressing the fire button too early. He needs to be like Djokovic - perfect mix of patience and winner timing. On another note Monfils got a little lucky in so many points during the match - I can think of at least 4. Just remember when Rafa slipped. That was the turning point where it all went south. So I don't yet write him off. There is so much time until the second week of AO where he can start hitting his strides right. And I believe it.

Yeah that point when Rafa slipped. And some others. :(
And I agree, at least right now I am more optimistic about this year. :)
Hope he can stay away from injuries and the shoulder and the knees and everything else will be great for IW-Miami and the looooong clay-grass court spring-summer ending with the Olympics.

Edit: Rafa seems to share our sentiments, and seems in a positive mood which is good. :yeah:

"I don't think the match was bad for me," Nadal said.

"The second set, I started doing well, doing what I have to do to win a match against him... I didn't play well at the end the match. I was a little bit unlucky in a few decisive movements. He did better than me and I congratulate him. He's playing really well."

And I mean Gael did play really well, even if he got the luck on his side a few times.

Rafaaah
01-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Based on the trends of previous years...good-bad-good-bad...I hope 2012 is very good, I mean epically great!!

It is really frustrating watching Rafa play these days!! Even against sure win player, is doesn't look like he can or win wrap it up easily. Unlike Djoko who has the annoyingly amazing backhand down the line which drastically wins him a lot of points and long rallies..Rafa is way too predictable. Never the first to change the direction of rallies when stuck in a long one. This is probably because he has always learn to endure and that by extending the rallies, his winning percentage goes up....until Djoko became the one on top of all the long rallies. This simply means Rafa needs to stop really on winning long rallies but forcing an error on his opponent and simply go for the winner instead. But he just returns the shorts back to where it came from or worse, he returns it short so that the opponent comes into the court and hammers down a winner. Why has it become so frustrating?? There is nothing wrong with Rafa's skills, his speed, strength and shots are all very good...but his mind, it's doesn't seem like it is as willing to find a way to rise on top of situations anymore. When he is winning, he should ride the momentum and finish is without much pain...when he is losing he needs to change it up. But as mentioned about the monfils match....when he gets to xx-30...he can't quite get to break point. Sigh~~ It's so painful and worrying...when will GOAT Rafa be back? I'll always be here waiting and cheering him on but its time for him to step it up and prove to us, his teams, all the players, all the critics and skeptics that he is not a write off...and NOT inferior to Djoko.

I can only pray...HOPE that in 2012 he can win at least 2x GS, 5x ATP 1000s (plus a few finals and play/do well in Paris & Shanghai) and Gold in Olympics, SF of ATP WTF and win all the small events he plays!!! Wishing for too much?? I think so...cos if he won the 6 finals last year...he would have had 3x GS and 6x 1000s!!

Guest12315544
01-15-2012, 12:37 PM
2012-I'll hope for the best, but I can't say I'm really all that excited about Rafa's chances :bigcry:

MariaV
03-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Our very own Star has made it to the Indian Wells tournament so let's hope Rafa will make her happy and she'll report. :D
Rafa already contested his first doubles match with Marc Lopez and they beat Llodra/Zimonjiz 6-4 6-4. Vamos! :rocker: :bounce: :bigclap:

http://tennis-clubs.findthebest.com/sites/default/files/129/media/images/Indian_Wells_Tennis_Garden.jpgarc

Ben.
03-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Everyone blame Star when Rafa loses! :lol: A good upset win in the doubles can't hurt though.

Look at that gorgeous desert backdrop :hearts:

MariaV
03-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Rafa vs Leonardo Mayer 2nd match on Stadium 1. Vamos! :rocker: :bounce: :bigclap:

Veronique
03-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Here I come again for more heartbreak:sad:

Naudio Spanlatine
03-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Rafa up 3-0:worship:

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Naudio Spanlatine
03-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Great point at the last one, Rafa too good:hearts:

Naudio Spanlatine
03-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Rafa up 4-0 :dog: :dog:

Naudio Spanlatine
03-11-2012, 08:36 PM
5-0 :dog: :dog:

Naudio Spanlatine
03-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Rafa wins 6-1 in the first set in under 25 mins:woohoo: :woohoo: :cheerleader:

1-1 in the second:)

Naudio Spanlatine
03-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Rafa up 2-1 serving....

Naudio Spanlatine
03-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Rafa up 3-1, 15-40 bps for rafa

Naudio Spanlatine
03-11-2012, 09:34 PM
rafa won 6-1, 6-3 :banana: :banana: :banana:

MariaV
03-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Yeah that was a nice match, so good to see him back on court. :D
Doubles today vs Dolgo & Malisse.

Ben.
03-12-2012, 06:36 PM
I didn't see it but a good quick match is just what was needed, no hangover like against Dodig.

MariaV
03-13-2012, 09:48 AM
I was so fortunate I could see his first singles match, Mayer was not the toughest opponent so we'll see how his game will improve. :)

Rafa and Marc beat Dologopolov and Malisse 6-4 6-3 and according to Star's reports everyone had great fun. :D

Rafa vs Marcel Granollers not before 4.30 pm local time at Stadium 1. Vamos! :rocker:

Castafiore
03-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Sorry to be nitpicking for a bit but you missed an e in MalissE (and you pronounce that "e")

BNP PARIBAS OPEN
March 11, 2012

Rafael Nadal

INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA

R. NADAL/L. Mayer
6‑1, 6‑3

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. It looked impressive, but how did you feel, the first match back?
RAFAEL NADAL: Very happy to be back in competition, that's the first thing. This is a tournament that I love. I enjoy a lot playing this tournament. Always in my career had good success here. I played very good matches.
Is nice to be back playing at the very good level, in my opinion. Winning is the most important thing. Not easy be back after a while without competition, but I did, I believe, really well.
I started the match very focused, very aggressive. Today only thing I can say, I'm very happy. I'm very happy about almost everything.

Q. Roger Federer has suggested that he feels that sometimes you take too long‑‑
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I answered this question the other day. Don't recreate history about that.

Q. I have something I'd like to add. Today I timed the period between the end of the point and your serve, and you were always within the allowable limit. Were you hurrying because of what Roger said?
RAFAEL NADAL: Sure after a long career that's going to affect on me. :D But anyway, you know, that's the only thing. We are nobody to say things that the umpire decides. That's the only thing that I can answer.

Q. The top four men in the game now have been so dominant and lose so rarely. When something happens like Murray losing in his first match last night, do you take notice of that? When he lost last night because the top men don't lose very much now, does that catch your attention when that happens?RAFAEL NADAL: Always a surprise, but the real surprise is what's going on today. In the past, a lot of very, very top players lost in early rounds. Today is very strange, and is, you know, is very special part, my opinion, of the history that for the last few years the top players almost never lost hardly, no?
But happens in everybody. Happened to me last year there in Shanghai. So that's normal. Nothing strange on that, no. I think Andy is doing a fantastic season. Andy lost a match last year here in third round here against, I believe, Donald Young.
But in my opinion, the attitude was completely different yesterday from last year, no? Yesterday he tried in all moment being positive. Last year probably he didn't fight as much as he did yesterday. I think Guillermo played an unbelievable match. That's true.
He saved all the important chances: Love‑40 in the second, Love‑30 in the second. And when this special situation happens, you know, the chances of lose the match increase a lot.

Q. You are known for many things, but also including your mind, your mental strength. When you're in trouble, when your game is not working well, what goes through your mind? What do you say to yourself?
RAFAEL NADAL: During a match?

Q. Yes, on court.
RAFAEL NADAL: I just try to win the match fighting every ball and running every ball. Today the level is not there, so have to win the match another way, not playing good tennis.
So fighting, running, trying to play with the right tactic and thinking about solutions in every moment, in every point. That's all.
Just when you're playing bad, the most important thing is win. That's because you have another chance the next day to play better. That's all.

Q. Does your mind ever go too fast? Does it ever race when you're in trouble, or do you stay calm?
RAFAEL NADAL: Nobody's perfect. No, no, even if I had‑‑ in my career, most of the times I had good mentality, a positive mentality, a good mind.
Sometimes I had the mistakes, too, and I wasn't ready to fight every point. I wasn't in perfect conditions to think about what's going on and to analyze the right way the match.
Happened to me; happened to everybody. Important thing is to try to not happen very often that, you know. Have the fresh, the mentality and the mind fresh and open to analyze well what's going on and to analyze well the opponent, and when you're playing bad to find a solution, to try in the end to win the match.

Q. You had a lot of victories in Roland Garros, but what is your best memory there if you had to choose just one?
RAFAEL NADAL: Just one?

Q. Yes.
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. (Laughter.)
I had a lot of ones. Ask me for one, for me, it's impossible to say.

Q. You lost today only three or four points on your service. Did you work especially on it during your...
RAFAEL NADAL: I worked on my serve all my career not in one month, so I'm not gonna improve my serve in one month. If I lost today four, five points with my serve, it's because, sure, my serve worked well, but I didn't have the mistakes from the baseline.
I played aggressive the first ball, so I had the chance almost every time to hit the first ball with my forehand and to take advantage of that.
Play aggressive without unforced errors, so that's why I lost very, very few points, not because I served crazy aces. I think I served one ace during all the match. The important point I think I had the right percentage of first serves in, around 70%, so that's a positive thing.
That's give me the chance to start the point with an advantage. That's my game. If I start the point with an advantage, with my forehand, normally I have the control of the point.

Q. You have spoken about yourself, Roger, Novak, Andy, this group of players that's around at the moment.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, there is much more players. :)

Q. Exactly. Del Potro and all that. What I ask is from what you heard of the past players in the open era, do you think what we have now is probably or possibly the greatest era of men's tennis?
RAFAEL NADAL: I am not the right one to say that. Probably will be very arrogant if I answer this question yes. You know better the history probably than me, and there is very qualified people around to analyze that.
I am part of that, so I am not the right one, I believe.

Q. We watched you play doubles, and you're a wonderful volleyer.
RAFAEL NADAL: I am not. (Laughter.)
That's why I am playing doubles, to try to keep improving.

Q. You don't go to the net much. Is that because you win without going to the net?
RAFAEL NADAL: In singles or the doubles?

Q. Singles.
RAFAEL NADAL: Singles.

Q. If you ran into a person who is better at the baseline than you, would you become a volleyer?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think the best players always finallyfind solutions for everything, you know. The game says today the best players of the world are from the baseline, so that's says the game‑‑ you know, the game, ask that for us, and is true I have to go to the net very often, more often than before.
I have to play more aggressive, and if I am hitting well the forehand, I am inside the court, I will have more chances to go to the net to finish the points there.
Is something that I know that I have to do. And when I am able to do it, my level of tennis improves. Is something that for sure I try.

Q. On your serve, we saw in the US Open in 2010 that the velocity of your serve went up, and it seems that since that it hasn't been at the same level. I'm wondering, is that the conditions of the balls or the conditions in New York?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. It was the conditions of my game. You know, I served very fast during all the US Open because I felt that I had the perfect feeling on the serve.
But the week before in Cincinnati my serve didn't work that well. That's the true, no? Because at that moment I was serving fantastic. I had the feeling that to win the US Open I had to serve faster. Worked well in that tournament, but in general, I don't need to serve that fast.
You know, the problem when I am serving fast, the percentage is going a little bit down. The problem is if I don't serve the perfect serve the ball come back faster, so I need to play a little bit slower game to have the control of the point.
And serving that fast I can have more free points, but my mentality and my style of game doesn't go to this way. That's the thing. When I am serving that fast, I tried in another times, but I feel like I am losing a little bit the control of my whole game.
That's why I am trying to serve with high percentage, trying to serve, sure, as fast again with the right percentage and trying to start the point the right way to have the control of the point with my forehand or try to hit the first ball in a good position with my forehand.
That's the reason. Today I can go on court and serve 132 miles with not many problems. The problem is probably is not the right tactic for my game.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports (http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=78270)

MariaV
03-13-2012, 10:01 AM
I was editing Hilde! :p
Thanks for posting the presser. :kiss:

Ben.
03-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Was Rafa/Marc vs Dolgo/Malisse a match between the past two winning teams here in IW? Or is my memory lying to me.

Castafiore
03-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Your memory is correct.

Past doubles champions

2011 Alexandr Dolgopolov / Xavier Malisse
2010 Marc Lopez / Rafael Nadal

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/Indian-Wells.aspx

bokehlicious
03-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Rafa's pressers are duller by the day :yawn:

Castafiore
03-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Shush, fedtard. Stick to rafachat. Don't let me report you in here.

bokehlicious
03-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Oups, by bad, I thought it was the rafchat :angel: :p

thanks for the rep justlikeheaven :kiss: :inlove:

MariaV
03-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Oups, by bad, I thought it was the rafchat :angel: :p

thanks for the rep justlikeheaven :kiss: :inlove:

And no thanks for the rep for me? :awww:

Naudio Spanlatine
03-14-2012, 05:44 AM
Rafa's pressers are duller by the day :yawn:

Since when were you interest:rolleyes: :p

MariaV
03-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Rafa beat Marcel Granollers 6-1 6-4. Let's hope for the best! :)
Rava vs Dolgo 3rd on Stadium 1 after Azarenka vs Radwanska, hopefully the girls won't take 2+ hours. :o

born_on_clay
03-14-2012, 04:37 PM
so far so good :D

Naudio Spanlatine
03-14-2012, 04:41 PM
In dubs and singles:banana: :banana: :banana:

I have to admit i was kinda nervous at the end of the match:unsure: but overall im happy with the result:D

Im worried about dubs tho, hes going against the toughest dubs team since Bryanbros and they are current champs in Aussie open too:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Naudio Spanlatine
03-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Dont worry Maria, Azarenkakakakakkaka knows how to smash that bitch:sport: :smoke:

Start da Game
03-14-2012, 06:47 PM
vamoooooooooooos!

Veronique
03-14-2012, 11:45 PM
Looks good to me.

Naudio Spanlatine
03-15-2012, 01:03 AM
Vamos Rafa:rocker2: :rocker2:

Good luck in dubs:scared: :scared:

Ben.
03-15-2012, 01:28 AM
Haven't actually watched any matches yet but am liking the smooth sailing. Tricky match with Nalby next though.

MariaV
03-15-2012, 10:54 AM
I only saw the first match vs Mayer but seems OK so far, hope I can watch the match vs Nalby.

MariaV
03-15-2012, 03:26 PM
The presser after playing Marcel Granollers.

R. NADAL/M. Granollers
6‑1, 6‑4

Q. Seemed like you had a pretty routine match today. Obviously it doesn't feel it's easy. What are your thoughts on that?
RAFAEL NADAL: Interesting press conference. Yeah, well, no, I think I played well. It was comfortable first set. I think I did very well in the first set.
In the second, I didn't play my best in the second. I stop little bit the legs at the second for moments, and at the end in the set I was in a little bit danger, no?
It's true that I had to win a little bit easier the second because I had few chances, 15‑All and easy passing shot that like this out. You know, with the 3‑1, I believe 3‑1, yeah, I had 15‑30 and not any difficult backhand to have the double break at 4‑1 and close the match, no?
The true is I had a few mistakes, especially for the backhand and in the second, and then I was in a little bit trouble.
But I am happy that I finished the match well.

Q. Just an hour. Were you watching the tiebreak of Federer‑Raonic?
RAFAEL NADAL: I was working a bit with my physio and I watched the tiebreak. That's all.

Q. I know you watched the Murray‑Garcia‑Lopez match earlier in the tournament. Do you watch a lot of matches when you're at a tournament like this?
RAFAEL NADAL: I like tennis and I like sport. I am not gonna change my schedule to watch a match, but if I am at the hotel, like now when I'm going back to the hotel in probably 10, 15 minutes, yeah, I'm gonna watch the second set of the match.
There is an interesting match. Garcia‑Lopez against Andy last night was interesting match, too, so I like to watch good tennis.
Sure, if I am at the hotel, I can watch the tennis, I watch.

Q. Do you watch women's matches?
RAFAEL NADAL: Sometimes. Less times. (Smiling.)

Q. Do you have a favorite woman's player to watch?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't gonna say that.

Q. For the fun of it, if you could go back and play any player in the past who you've never played...
RAFAEL NADAL: There are a lot. A lot.

Q. Borg? Connors? Who would you like to play?
RAFAEL NADAL: There are a lot of great champions in the past with different style of play, so for me is impossible for me to say one. That's an answer that's never gonna happen.
So I can't give you an answer on that, because for everybody I think will be nice to compete against best players of different eras. So as always, if something like that can happen real, not exhibition match, as something real, would be very interesting.
But I believe that never gonna happen.

Q. What do you make of the pace or speed of the court here? Would you say it's slow, very slow?
RAFAEL NADAL: No.

Q. No?
RAFAEL NADAL: You feel that?

Q. I'm not out there playing unfortunately, but...
RAFAEL NADAL: No, but like a spectator, do you feel like?

Q. Looks slow to me.
RAFAEL NADAL: Looks slow? I think the ball flies quick. Probably the ball in the air I believe is is quick, the bounces are high, and the court is normal. No slower, in my opinion, than Australian Open; not slower than most of the hard court tournaments.
That's my feeling, no? In my opinion, the ball here goes faster in the air than in a lot of places.

Q. When you arrive in Paris when the cycle comes around for Roland Garros, what do you feel inside? What is it like just coming to Paris in the late spring and being there and the championship of clay court tennis?
RAFAEL NADAL: Nervous, first thing, but every Grand Slam is special for me. Naturally Roland Garros is the one that I win more times, so is the one that I feel that if I am playing well I will have more chances.
But always when you arrive to a place when you have the success, be back in the center court of every place where you have success in the past, the emotions are there and the memories are there, so every time when I go to Roland Garros and saw the center court, a lot of memories come to me.
More memories than the rest of the Grand Slams, but every one are special, no?
And the same like coming here. I have huge memories of this tournament. This court is special for me, and this tournament that I love. So I believe when you arrive to a tournament that you had great success in the past and you feel comfortable in that tournament is special.

Q. Do you remember anything when you were first starting, maybe a match, I don't know, Court 2 or the bull ring?
RAFAEL NADAL: Here or...

Q. No, at Roland Garros.
RAFAEL NADAL: I played my first match in Court 3 maybe.

Q. The bull ring?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah.

Q. Court 1.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. Against Burgsmuller. I remember that match. More nervous than normal because everybody talk that I can be the favorite of that tournament, and I was a kid. 2005.
But you know what? When you are a kid and you are like say a rookie when you are 18, 19, 20 probably, you have a different, completely different feelings, because everything is new for you. You appreciate everything.
But at the same time I remember 2005, I remember how beautiful was for me to have this fantastic season. But if I have to say means more to me to win 2005 than 2011? 2005 was the first one. That's always special.
But my answer will be not, because when you have years on the tour, when you have troubles, when you have injuries, when you have, you know, tough losses, hard times, good times, you really know how tough is win another time, how tough is win a tournament.
And when I won in 2010 Roland Garros, when I won in 2011 Roland Garros, the emotions are very high, because you really don't know if you will able to win another time never.
So when you do another time in every tournament is special, is very special, and especially when you have lot of years on the tour that, you know, how tough is win every time.

Q. If I could, your ability to go from Roland Garros to grass and Wimbledon, is that something that you're particularly proud of that you were able to make that transition in your game and triumph?
RAFAEL NADAL: But I will tell you something on that. Sure, I am happy that I improved my game on grass, but don't forget that the people who always said that I will be in trouble on grass probably are you. (Laughter.)
Because I played in grass in 2002 probably, the juniors, having two years less with 16 years old, and I did the semifinals with good chance to be in the finals. Was on grass and not on clay.
I did Wimbledon semifinal with two years less, and the first Grand Slam that I played, if I don't remember bad, was Wimbledon was 2003, and I won against grass court specialist like Mario Ancic the first round. I win against Lee second round from England, so they know how to play on grass.
So I did the third round with 17 years old, so wasn't bad result. So that means that my level on grass and my ability to play on grass wasn't a disaster when I started on the this tour.
So that's true I improved my serve to play better on grass; that's true that I am able to play more aggressive, to slice better, to go to the net better than before; but one of the most important things on grass is the movement, and probably in 2003 I had fantastic movements, too.
So I understand how to play the grass, and most important thing is believe that you can do it well there and enjoy the surface and understand the surface. Don't go against the surface. If the surface says that you have to play aggressive, you have to play aggressive.
But nothing crazy, because at the end of the day you have your game so you can do something ‑‑ I don't gonna go to grass and play serve and volley because it's not my game. I will do it, yeah, five more times than in the rest of the surfaces, yes. But not every time.
And that's something that in the past probably or today some players forget. You have to do your game understanding how to play that surface.
But most important thing is believe that you gonna do it well there, and enjoy the feeling.

Q. After you have taken a break like you did after the Australian Open, how long does it take you to feel that you are playing at a level that you're totally satisfied with?
RAFAEL NADAL: I am playing weeks and weeks straight and a lot of times I'm not satisfied. So that, I cannot answer that.
Maybe I will be very satisfied the first day, and after two weeks playing in Miami I wouldn't be nothing satisfied with my game. So that's true that when you come back after a period of out of competition you need a few matches to get the rhythm, to, you know, remember a few things in competition.
But you can arrive and you can play fantastic tennis after a period of time outside of competition, no?
And I have to say something, if I stayed five years ago one month and a half or something like this without compete, probably will be much more difficult for me to compete well than now.
So I am losing less the rhythm than before if I stop for a while, you know, before it was much more difficult for me. Today I think I improved my game a little bit, and when I come back I have more solutions, more options to do.
Before I needed to be on a run to play my best. I needed to be in perfect conditions physically, running, the movements.
Today I am able to play more comfortable without having the perfect rhythm, no?

Q. And what about Alex in the next round Dolgopolov?
RAFAEL NADAL: He's a crazy player. He's a crazy player, not like a crazy guy. He's a crazy player because you can expect everything. That's true, no? He can play really aggressive; he can play very fast; he has a very goodserve; and ball is going too fast sometimes, no?
He can beat you and you will not have‑‑ you have always something to do, but you will have small chances. And he can play with mistakes, but you never know because he's a special player, and it's very difficult to wait something.
But the thing I gonna wait is he will play very fast, he will play very aggressive, and I have to be ready to accept everything what he gonna do in the match. Because he will play with very aggressive shots because his ball is going very fast.
I have to play long to make him hit the balls in more difficult positions. That's what I have to do. But I know he can hit a winner from every place on the court.

Q. After not playing matches for a month, how are you feeling physically after a couple of matches under your belt?
RAFAEL NADAL: I am fine. You know, wasn't very big demanding physical matches, no? 6‑1, 6‑3 and 6‑1, 6‑4, one hour and something, so that's good start tournament like this, sure. :D

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=78365

Naudio Spanlatine
03-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Nadal/Lopez are on fire, i mean damn Rafa did a double in straight sets singles and dubs:speakles: :scared: :scared:

MariaV
03-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Our Adorabilito afoer Dolgo.
R. NADAL/A. Dolgopolov
6‑3, 6‑2

Q. He seems to be a very tricky player for some to play, but you seem to do what you want to do with him, more or less.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, the match started the perfect way for me, with a break, so that give me confidence. I felt confident with my serve during all the first set. Just in the last set I had trouble, 15‑40.
But you cannot, you know, predict nothing with this kind of match, no? He can hit winners from every place. At the same time he can have mistakes from every place, too.
So I think he had more mistakes than usual at the beginning, and especially when I had the break at the second set ‑‑ 2‑1 to 5‑1 was in minutes, no? He had lot of mistakes.
I did what I had to do, in my opinion. I'm pretty happy about my game. So I'm through. I'm in quarterfinals playing well, so that's most important thing.

Q. Can you talk about your memories of playing Nalbandian here? I think it was three years ago you fought off five match points, and now you'll have him again.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, it was amazing match. I remember I was so lucky in the match. That's the true, no?
But always Nalbandian is a very tough player to play against with unbelievable talent. And he will have a day off tomorrow, so that give him a lot, my opinion.
He's this kind of player that when he's playing well he's the best players of the world. So gonna be a really, really difficult match for me, and I have to be ready for everything. Alright, dedicated to Metis and me. :D

Q. As the competition gets harder for you as the draw goes on, in some ways is it tougher for you to still be in doubles? So you wishthat you had ‑‑ not that you entered doubles without the intention of winning, but...
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, you have tough matches, yes. If I play like today ‑ I did one hour, something, I don't know, but one hour and short more ‑ is okay. Not a problem.
In these kind of tournaments when you have a day off is not a problem. Because if I am winning today I gonna play doubles tomorrow. So I take like a practice, is better than a practice. You can compete.
In these kind of tournaments it's really not a problem. It's a pleasure play doubles for me here. I think the atmosphere here in this stadium too is fantastic for doubles. :D :D Dedicated to Star and other great fans there.

Q. You have been around playing Roger for so many many, many years. You've also seen him a lot off the court. What have you learned the most tennis‑wise from Federer? What have you learned off the court also from him, from Roger?
RAFAEL NADAL: We have completely different characters, so from off the court I have my character is important to look around and learn from everybody.
But I can't tell you something specific about what I learn about Roger because I have my character.
I believe I learned a lot about ‑‑ much more about my the people who are close to me, no? About my family, about my friends, you know, about my team, more than Roger, no?
In the end, Roger‑‑ I saw Roger on the tournaments. I cannot learn a lot about him because I have not in touch with him every day. In my opinion, to learn things, you have to be in touch probably every day to have a clear example about.
But from the court I think Roger, what he did better in all his career is he improved his game during all his career, no? I think he was better player in 2008 than in 2004, and that's something difficult, because, you know. When you are in the top sometimes it's not easy to keep improving your level, no? Keep playing better and better and improving your shots, improving his backhand.
That's something that I always try to do, and it's good to have an example like him in the front.

Q. He improved his backhand; what other thing has Roger really improved over these years, would you say?
RAFAEL NADAL: I believe he's serving better than in 2004. I believe his backhand is much better than in 2004/2003.
His forehand always was unbelievable, no? Probably the position the court is better, and he's playing more solid with less mistakes.
So he did a lot of things better, my opinion. Yes yes we get it fanboy. ;)

Q. When you play fellow Spanish players, do you have the opinion that they are nervous about playing you, that they may not achieve their best level against you? Or do you think they try even harder to beat you than they might other players?
RAFAEL NADAL: First thing, you can ask them not me, no?
But I believe that's a competition, and the Spanish player and other players the same like the players from other countries. They want to win the match not because I'm Spanish or not Spanish.
They want to win the match because at the ends that's a tennis tournament and everybody wants to win, no?
I believe nothing change playing against a Spanish player or not, because that's happened hundreds of times, no? Today I had confrontations against the rest of Spanish players, I don't know how many, but a lot.
So is nothing new for us and nothing new for me and nothing new for them. That's my feeling, no? Sometimes you have better days, worse days for them, for me. That's all. But nothing ‑‑ in my opinion, they are not trying harder to beat me because they are Spanish and they are not afraid or more nervous to beat me because they are Spanish. That's the answer.

Q. Can you comment on today's match against Alex, your thoughts, your feelings on how you played and how the match went?
RAFAEL NADAL: I did well. I believe I played a solid match without mistakes. So, you know, for moments he's doing everything. He's playing the winners, he's having the mistakes, so you are there like trying to put him in a difficult position to hit the winner. But you cannot do much, a lot of times, no?
So I just tried to play well the points that I had the chance to play. In my opinion, I did, and in other times I did‑‑ I played good shot and he answered with a winner or I played bad shot and he answered with a big mistake.
It's not an easy match to analyze, but winning 6‑3, 6‑2 against a player who is No. 20 of the world is a fantastic result.

Q. You played Djokovic three times at Roland Garros: 2006, 2007, 2008. He didn't win one set against you. It's a little bit ahead, but if you were to meet him in Paris, would you expect a much different kind of match? :spit:
RAFAEL NADAL: Seriously, I have enough work thinking about the Nalbandian match. I don't expect winning straight sets in the third round, so I not gonna expect a win against Djokovic in three sets, especially when he beat me in, I don't know, seven times in a row. That's the real thing today. :yeah:

Q. When you play with that much tape on your fingers, can you feel the ball or not?
RAFAEL NADAL: It's fine, because today I cannot feel the ball without the tapes.

Q. Because why?
RAFAEL NADAL: Because I played for the last three years with that tapes, so if I pull off the tapes, I am in trouble, no?

Q. Because of blisters?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, my skin is a little bit sensitive, and when the weather change‑‑ you know, I arrive here, the weather is very dry. I went to Miami, the weather is very humid. There in Mallorca was very cold.
All of the changes produce me problems in the hands, and this, this, this, and this, are the places where I always have the problems. Before I tried to put the tape when I had the problem. When the problem goes, take it out, but every time the problems was back.
Because when I changed the play, when I changed the weather conditions, the problem was back another time. So I got tired about having the problem, because it's very boring. Is very‑‑ you know, not very boring. My English. (Smiling) is much better, but still some problems.
No, it's bothering me a lot. When you have a real blister in your hand is a problem to play a match, no? We decided to play with the tapes in that places for every time. That's helps a lot, because the last few years I did not have problems with my blisters.

Q. Tennis is such a grind, so difficult. Aside from taking time off, how do you keep a fresh mentality? How do you keep fresh on the circuit?
RAFAEL NADAL: Sometimes I am not. (Smiling.)
That's the true, no? But at the end, you know, I am a competitor. I love the competition. I love the tennis. So the only negative thing in all of this is I don't want to go from this tour at the age of 27 or the age of 28. I believe nobody wants to do it.
To avoid that, I have to take care. That's the true, no? Year by year I have to take a little bit more care about my body. I have to prepare very well my schedule. I have to analyze where I have to play, where I don't have to play. :awww: Grasping it only now? ;)
But that's a natural thing. But that's true our calendar makes that decisions very difficult, so that's‑‑ seriously, that's the only thing that I can say, I have to say I am not happy about the ATP.
You are free to play where you want to play, but the calendar put you in a position that if you want to be in the top positions, you have to play almost obligatory since 1st of January to very late November.
So that's the only thing that I am not happy about the ATP.

Q. In the past you have golfed here as a way to relax. Have you been able to do that on this trip?
RAFAEL NADAL: I did.

Q. Any interesting golf stories?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know if it's interesting, but I played a lot of days, yeah. I will play tomorrow, yeah. I have the day off tomorrow. Sure. Why not? I enjoy playing golf. It's not a risky sport.
You know, when you are‑‑ I believe during the years I improved a lot to know how to relax a little bit more before I‑‑ I remember in 2003/2004 when I arrived to the tour and I spent a lot of hours on the club. I was all day there watching tennis.
You know, now I am able to relax a bit more, to enjoy a bit more the things during the tournament. So that's, you know, bring me a different view of everything. I am really happy about how I learned to enjoy during the tennis tournament.

Q. Do you care what your handicap is? Does it matter to you or do you use golf to relax?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't understand the sport without trying my best. That's the true. :lol:
Even if I gonna play friendly match with my friends, soccer match there in my village, I will try to win because‑‑ and I try not to win, I will try to do my best.
For me, if you are not trying that, the sport is that, in my opinion. So if you're not trying that, for me the sport is boring. That's the true. If I go to play golf and I don't try my best, I stay on the range hitting balls. That's the true.
If I go to play football match, I will try my best to win because I understand is the only way to enjoy the match. That's what I understand. My handicap today is 6. I don't want to improve that handicap today, because playing just when you are at home or playing just now here is the only time of the year, only tournament that I am able to play ‑ here and Miami little bit‑ you will not improve this handicap.
With this handicap I enjoy a lot. Probably when I finish my career I will have more time to have a lower handicap. But that's something that is not‑‑ I go and I try my best, and that's it. I usually play more or less 6, 5, 7.

Q. This tournament has a very special owner, Mr.Ellison. I think you have had some contacts with him. What are your thoughts about Larry Ellison?
RAFAEL NADAL: My thoughts, first thing, I had the honor to meet him. He's, in my opinion, a fantastic person. I admire a lot him, about what he did in his life.
But today the tennis family, the only thing that we can do is say thank you to Mr.Larry Ellison, because it's very important to have an owner like him, you know, investing in tennis.
So that's something fantastic for the tennis world, in my opinion. And personally I met him. He was always really nice with me, and I just can say thank you very much to him about what he did for me every time I come here, because the organization and Larry Ellison probably makes this tournament for me very, very top of the year. :D

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=78455

Ben.
03-17-2012, 01:06 AM
First Rafa match I see this week and it was abysmal. If he makes it past Fed and has to play Djokovic it wont be pretty.

Never had a long period of play of hitting the ball well, almost choked a double break lead, wild errors off both wings and the return.....:o:mad:

Oh and of course he loses serve at 4-5 to drop the first set. It's become one of the staples of his game.

iramlatif
03-17-2012, 04:38 AM
sorry if this was posted somewhere else. good luck to him for tomorrow! http://spainsdaviscup.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/with-ben.jpg

born_on_clay
03-17-2012, 08:08 PM
I'm really nervous before today's semifinal

Start da Game
03-17-2012, 08:10 PM
I'm really nervous before today's semifinal

turkey time for sure.....no problemo.....every fedtard from today will become a turkey of a nadal fan.....

MariaV
03-18-2012, 08:36 AM
SdG!!!!!! :bigcry: :crying2: :sobbing: :bigcry: :crying2: :sobbing:
Rafa lost to Federer 3-6 4-6 :bigcry: :crying2: :sobbing:

Start da Game
03-18-2012, 08:43 AM
no problem, we will have the turkey a little later.....much awaited turkey tastes much better.....

Ben.
03-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Terrible match from Rafa on all fronts. Desperately needs to start showing these guys something different. Let's hope he can regain his confidence on clay or it's curtains for him.

Naudio Spanlatine
03-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Rafa you dumb fucking shit face:o:o:o :mad: :mad:

Whatever dude just get your shit together, and yes im still fucking pissed about yesterday im so goddamn glad i didnt watch this shit.:rolleyes:

Naudio Spanlatine
03-19-2012, 03:00 AM
Rafa you dumb fucking shit face:o:o:o :mad: :mad:

Whatever dude just get your shit together, and yes im still fucking pissed about yesterday im so goddamn glad i didnt watch this shit.:rolleyes:

Okay lemme take that back, i fucking love you dammit you and marc are life to me:sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

Mimi
03-19-2012, 07:12 AM
Okay lemme take that back, i fucking love you dammit you and marc are life to me:sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

:hysteric: :tears: :hug: :hug:

MariaV
03-19-2012, 09:47 AM
:lol:
The presser after the Nalbandian match.
R. NADAL/D. Nalbandian
4‑6, 7‑5, 6‑4

Q. Nalbandian seemed pretty comfortable until about 5‑All in the second set, and there seemed to be a big change when you broke him. Did you feel the match turn there?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, I believe that probably I played very short. That's true. I played very short later in the second set. I believe I started the match hitting good the ball, but having too much mistakes, too many mistakes.
So after that game with the 5‑4, he has a break, he has the first set, and he has good chances at the second. So he looked comfortable on court, that's true, but that's probably I helped him a little bit more than what I must did, no?
So, yeah, he had a couple of mistakes with the 5‑4 of the second, one double fault, and I had a good passing shot. But couple mistakes of him, and I played a good game with the 6‑5 to close the second set.
Yeah, was a change. I think I started the third well. He looks a little bit more tired. But at the end of the match was close another time.
So with the 5‑4 and 15‑40 the match was there, very close, and anything can happen.

Q. Is it true you're going to be carrying the Spanish flag during the Olympics? If so, what will that experience mean to you?
RAFAEL NADAL: I cannot answer the second one because the first answer, that's not true, no? I don't know. I would love to do it, you know. If that happen will be an honor for me and I will be very glad.
But seriously, nobody give me that information or confirm to me that information. So that's something that, you know, normal thing that happens for you. The press, you know, says things, but the real thing is I really don't have the confirmation of the Spanish COE. So I cannot answer that question. That's the true, no?
I would love to do it, and it will be an honor if that's happens.

Q. Has that been mentioned? Has anything been said to you at all or hinted about that possibility?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I don't have‑‑ I said I don't have confirmation on that. I don't have information about that gonna happen, so...
I said if that happen, it will be an honor for me. And will represent Spain in Olympic Games with flag or without the flag. Will be a fantastic experience, and I'm very excited on that, on play the Olympic Games another time.
But, you know, if I have the chance to have the flag on my hands in the presentation of the Olympics will be a pleasure for me. But that's all. We cannot talk more about that, because we can talk one hour, but the real thing is we don't know nothing (smiling).

Q. Fans have such great interest in your rivalry with Roger. In your book, you said that if you silence your doubts and you increased your hopes more than Roger did that you could beat him. Could you talk about that and about your doubts that you've had against Roger and how you've overcome those?
RAFAEL NADAL: I have doubts every day. That's part of the life. You have doubts?

Q. I have lots of doubts.
RAFAEL NADAL: Huh? (Laughter.)

Q. Did an entire column on doubts.
RAFAEL NADAL: I believe everybody have doubts. I believe everybody who is not too arrogant have doubts. That's the real life. I have doubts.
At the same time I believe that I can do it, but I don't think‑‑ I don't want to go to bed tonight thinking I gonna win the match of tomorrow. I gonna go to bed tonight thinking that hopefully I will play a fantastic match and hopefully I will have my chances to win the match.
That's my real thoughts. They are doubts, yes, because I don't believe that I gonna win the match. I believe that gonna be a very difficult match for me, and I don't know if I gonna be able to play my best. I don't know if I gonna be able to win another time.
But that's part of the game, and that's the beautiful things about the sport, in my opinion. I gonna go there. I gonna fight every ball and try to play my best tennis and I hope that's gonna happen, but I don't know.

Q. After your long match with Nalbandian about three years ago, you came in and said, He's one of these guys you just can't figure out. Is that still the case?
RAFAEL NADAL: Today?

Q. No, before. Remember the one that went to 2:00 in the morning? About three years ago you played Nalbandian.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah.

Q. You came in after that and said he was difficult for you to figure out. You just didn't know how to play him. Is that still the case?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think is different case today than few years ago because I was playing better tonight, this afternoon, than few years ago before the match. That's my feeling.
So I started the match too nervous without any reason today. Because I think I was playing very well during all the tournament. I didn't lost my serve during all the tournament. I felt very well, playing fantastic tennis.
I started the new season playing well, having a very good tournament in Doha then in Australia. I feel confident. I feel the things are going better, and I am able to play better tennis than for a lot of moments last year.
So that gave me a lot of confidence. I believe my level is a little bit higher for moments this year. But another time the doubts are there, and today was a typical day that I started the match with some doubts.
Nalbandian always gives me problems on my game, and that probably make me feel a little bit not safe before the match. That's why probably I had more mistakes than usual.
But I am in semifinals; I am through. I am very happy. That's the true. Tomorrow I have a fantastic match to enjoy and to try to play aggressive, to try to play another time very well, and to try my best in every moment.
But being in semifinals after outside, a while outside of competition, is a fantastic result, and very happy for that. Everything is to win now.
Probably the pressure is not any more for me. But in that match probably, yes.

Q. Roger suggested these courts are very slow, almost as slow as clay, and that most of the tour events are played on slow courts these days. He suggested he may like to see faster courts. How do you feel about that?
RAFAEL NADAL: The most of what?

Q. He suggested she is courts are very slow?
RAFAEL NADAL: Federer, yes, but the rest of the thing?

Q. That the tour is also playing more tournaments on slower courts and there haven't very many faster courts to play on these days, that perhaps that would be better for...
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know the past days. I only know these days. My feeling this court is not slower than most of the hard court courts from the rest of the season. That's my feeling.
That the ball flies quick here. The ball is fast, my opinion, and the surface is normal hard court. Not quicker than the rest; not slower than the rest.
I feel good. I like this court. I don't know, maybe next year will be much faster if Roger says, no? I have already this week a lot of time violation. That's the true. Saying 'thanks' to Roger. :lol: :worship: :bowdown:

Q. In just a while, the tour will be going to the clay season. When you get out there on clay, what's the feeling like? You feel more confident?
RAFAEL NADAL: On clay?

Q. On clay.
RAFAEL NADAL: I feel more nervous. That's the first thing that I feel, because I feel that I have more chances to play well and to win. I feel more nervous.
But the real thing at the end, if I feel that I am playing more ‑‑ well, on clay I feel more, a little bit more safe. I have more time for everything. I have more time to think about what I have to do in every ball, to think about how to play, you know, think about a little bit more about tactics.
Here sometime serve and the first ball are very important, first two shots there. You can start a point sometimes slower; you can play aggressive. You have the chance to defend; you have the chance to attack.
Here, defending, just defending probably is impossible.

Q. Is clay more fun?
RAFAEL NADAL: For me, yes. (Smiling.)
But I gonna say is more than more fun, is more healthy. That's the true. These kind of courts are not. Hard courts are not healthy. That's the true. That's my feeling, and that's something that not gonna change for my era.
But the people who runs this sport have to think about that. Today we have lot of injuries in the knees, in the ankles, in the hip.
So I believe. I am free to say that today after, you know, probably winning in every court. I'm feeling that I can play my best tennis in all the courts, not only on clay.
I didn't feel free to say that probably five years ago, but today I feel free to say that because I don't have to show nobody that I am ready to play well in every place.
I am not saying that because I prefer clay. I am saying that because I believe grass and clay are much more healthy for the body than hard courts.
That's something that for the future, if the people who run this sport are not smart to change, that will be a big advantage for this sport.

Q. Looked like as you began to pull away from Nalbandian in the third set you started to do a lot more serve and volley. Is that something you like to do a little bit more of in your game?
RAFAEL NADAL: Serve and volley? (Smiling.)
Ah, I hit fantastic volleys this afternoon.

Q. Yeah, many.
RAFAEL NADAL: But is something that I am not able to do it every time. That's the true. I am able to do it on a few occasions, and today was one of these ones. You know, depends on the situation. When I go to the net I didn't decide before the serve I gonna do serve and volley.
I serve; I see the ball is a good slice serve; the opponent arrives like this; I go to the net. But before the serve I don't think I gonna do serve and volley. Is something that is not in my pentium.

Q. You and Roger have played 27 times already. When this sort of a meeting happens, everybody sits up and takes notice. When you go out on the court to play him, is everything different? Is everything new? Is there a lot of the same stuff from other matches? How do you feel when you go out each time to play Federer?
RAFAEL NADAL: Always are special matches, no, especially because always are in very important matches for both of us. That makes always the match very special.
But even if it's not the final, being in semifinals is important match. But I play always against Roger means a little bit more than against the rest of the opponents because, you know. I am playing probably against the best of the history, and because I played probably the most important matches in my career against him and probably him against me.
So that's why it makes the match a little bit more special than the rest. :zzz:

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=78618

And after the loss to Fediva. :o :tape:

R. FEDERER/R. Nadal
6‑3, 6‑4

Q. Were the conditions as bad as they looked from up here?
RAFAEL NADAL: Was the worst day, yeah. The weather conditions, yeah, wasn't easy to play. But it was a good match. He played fantastic, and just congratulate him.

Q. You've played plenty of matches in the wind, and you've done in the wind. Was today different? Maybe it was cold? Did he do anything to surprise you?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I think he started the match playing more than unbelievable. Me too. Me too. The beginning of the match, the wind was not there yet. Just a little bit.
That makes the game possible for me. I was able to play with some tactic. I was feeling the ball great. I felt that I'm ready to compete and ready to win the match.
But later start the crazy wind, and was very, very difficult for me to play with a clear tactic, no? I lost court, I had more mistakes, and I think he played very aggressive. He played fantastic.
His serve was with high percentage, and I wasn't able to play my usual tactic against him with that conditions. He hit the balls, every one inside the court, and the weather conditions makes more difficult the topspin for me.
But, you know, here is a place that the ball have high bounces with the normal conditions, hot; but today was colder, the ball stays lower, and that's makes the match a little bit more comfortable for him, I believe.
So I tried. Fighted until the last ball. I lost against a player who played better than me this afternoon. Congratulations. That's all. Keep fighting for me for next week. Happy about the tournament. Happy the way that I played the most of the tournament.
Not yesterday. Not happy about the match of today than yesterday, more even if I had few important mistakes with the 4‑3 of the first set. That was the only game that I am a little bit sad.
But for the rest, nothing. Nothing to say. No, he was better than me, and that's it.

Q. Rafa, at 5‑2 when he was serving for the match, you broke him at 15‑40, and it seemed like all the aggression came back to you, that you were dominating the points. Can you talk about that game and then whether you really thought that you were gonna get back into the match?
RAFAEL NADAL: I fight every ball, even with 5‑2. That's what I tried. I know that's very, very difficult situation for me in that moment, but I have to try, and I did.
I hit a good return in the first point, and then I was lucky in a few points because playing against the wind. But it's true, I played more aggressive than before. That's help me a lot. React too late. I had to play more aggressive before with that conditions. I understand what I had to do too late to win the‑‑ to have more chances to win the match.
With that conditions I cannot stay behind the baseline and waiting against hitting against his backhand, because the ball stays low and I don't create pain to him with my shots. So that's why I was wrong when the wind start with my tactic.
I played more aggressive at the end and worked well. Even I had few chances in the last game, too. So playing well. I had a mistake with forehand, but that's the way. That's it.
I am happy about how I played the ball, how I touch the ball, the feeling of the ball. I am happy about how I played, especially when the wind wasn't that crazy.
I am not happy of the game at 4‑3, but for the rest I am happy how I finished the match fighting and trying to find solutions. I lost against a fantastic player, so accept and try to be ready for doubles match of tomorrow and ready for Miami.

Q. How would you compare the wind today to other very windy conditions you've played in before? It looked very extreme out there.
RAFAEL NADAL: It was tough tonight. I don't hate the wind, that's true. For me is nothing really. A lot of times worked well for me the wind, so the wind is not an excuse.
The excuse, the real excuse was he played better than me. That's the best excuse that I can find, and that's it. The game is simple. I tried but wasn't enough, and that's all. No more things.

Q. Do you go to Miami happy of the way you're playing at the moment? Do you feel like you can you play better?
RAFAEL NADAL: Always I believe that I can play better.
But I am happy. I stayed one month and a half almost outside of competition. I came back winning a few comfortable matches in straight sets against not an easy opponent like Marcel Granollers. I don't know against who I played first round.

Q. Leonardo Mayer.
RAFAEL NADAL: Leonardo Mayer, so then I played against‑‑ very distracted this tournament, no? I always remember everything, and this time is, I don't know. :cuckoo: that's what is is. :o
Dolgopolov.
RAFAEL NADAL: Si, Dolgopolov is another one. So that's the real thing. I won a few matches very comfortable, three sets, and not suffering very much. I played a bad match yesterday, that's all. For the rest, I am practicing well and happy the way that I am playing.
I think I am doing things better than last year. That's the important thing, a positive thing. Today I lost, and that's it. One have to win, one have to lose. I lost today.

Q. Looking ahead, Rafa, on the court, what would you consider a successful year this year for you?
RAFAEL NADAL: The thing is not what I consider. The thing is what the people consider a good year at the end, because seems like 2011 was a bad year for me, for you, for most of you. (Smiling.)
I don't consider myself that good to consider the 2011 like a bad year, you know. I am doing a good year playing finals in Australia and semifinals here, for me, for myself, is a very good start of the year.
But you never know. You never know. The feel is myself. The results last year, in my opinion, was great results for me. The feeling wasn't that great. You know, I get tired of the competition few times, and that's a that's not the best feeling.
I am playing with energy. I am here very happy to be here to compete against the best players of the world and to try my best every day in every practice, no?
So I gonna consider a good year if I keep playing the way that I am playing. Even if I don't win something really important, I am happy. And the most important thing at this moment of my career ‑ for sure the titles are important ‑ but what is more important is the feeling.
I feel happy today to be here, and I am enjoying the tour. That's the most important thing, keep doing to this way. That's the way to have success this year. Play aggressive like I did the last few games and like I did the beginning of the match, that's the way.
I have to follow this way. I did in Australia. I did here for the most of the time. I will try to keep doing in Miami a little bit better if it's possible and wait to have a good success.

Q. Because of that rain delay, you and Roger had a long wait before you came out to start your match. What did you do to pass the time?
RAFAEL NADAL: Nothing. I stayed in the locker room with the team. I was in the player lounge for moments. That's it. Nothing. Go to eat something before, but that's it.

Q. Did you get a chance to watch the match before, Isner and Djokovic, and your thoughts about that?
RAFAEL NADAL: I watch all the match. John played great match and Djokovic played a good match, too.
Seems like at the beginning of the third John was tired, so that was the moment for Novak to have the break and win the match. But John serve. His serve worked fantastic when he was tired at the beginning of the third.
Against a player like Isner, you arrive to 4‑All at the third set and that's a lottery, no? With this serve, anything can happen.
John played very well, very aggressive, without, you know‑‑ I felt that he wasn't scared about to win the match, no? He did. He played aggressive. He did what he had to do to win the match. He was the winner this afternoon.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=78663

Better become a doubles specialist now, IF only Marc will take you. :o :tape: :bolt:

Naudio Spanlatine
03-19-2012, 07:55 PM
I think he rather become a dubs player than singles:tape: :o

born_on_clay
03-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Terrible match from Rafa on all fronts. Desperately needs to start showing these guys something different. Let's hope he can regain his confidence on clay or it's curtains for him.

I'm sad too bro :hug:

But as I said before I'm satisfied with Rafa's career. Anything he wins now is something extra for me ;)

Mimi
03-21-2012, 01:56 AM
I'm sad too bro :hug:

But as I said before I'm satisfied with Rafa's career. Anything he wins now is something extra for me ;)

wise words :yeah: I also felt/said the same as you before, but it seems that i am more greedy than you, i want 12 slams :shout:

star
03-21-2012, 02:56 AM
wise words :yeah: I also felt/said the same as you before, but it seems that i am more greedy than you, i want 12 slams :shout:

:hug: :hug:

I donít mind your being greedy. :)

But, I think itís more important for Rafa to concentrate on those doubles titles now. :p

Mimi
03-21-2012, 03:49 AM
:hug: :hug:

I donít mind your being greedy. :)

But, I think itís more important for Rafa to concentrate on those doubles titles now. :p

thanks for your kind words, will read your report later, now am busy at work :angel:

born_on_clay
03-21-2012, 08:03 AM

believe me, I'd like Rafa to overcome Sampras' 14 ;)
but all in all his career already satisfied me as his fan :wavey:

MariaV
03-21-2012, 05:58 PM
So here we go, in the hot & humid Miami! Vamos! :rocker:
http://thedestinationcenter.com/images/tourimages/06713800_1240615427.jpg
http://enroute.aircanada.com/files/destinations/miami_hotel.jpg

Here the link to the draw.
http://enroute.aircanada.com/files/destinations/miami_hotel.jpg

born_on_clay
03-21-2012, 06:18 PM
I hope Rafa will love this conditions and will bring a title home (it's time to win something other than doubles dammit) :mad:

born_on_clay
03-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Rafa is playing doubles in Miami with Marcel instead of Marc, who paired with Deliciano :eek:

MariaV
03-22-2012, 08:04 AM
:eek: I hope there's no lovers' quarrel. :awww: ;) Probably just doesn't want another doubles title. :( :sad: But better not give Marc entirely to the delish Deliciano who's also in kinda slump, doubles carrera coming faster than you think Rafababy! :o You can also switch to golf of course. :D

MariaV
03-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Rafa beat Santiago Giraldo 6-2 6-0. Let's hope he'll do well vs the ugly Stepanek too. Vamos!! :rocker:

World No. 2 Rafael Nadal cruised in his Miami opener Friday night, dismissing Santiago Giraldo 6-2, 6-0 in the second round of the Sony Ericsson Open.

Nadal capitalized on five of his six break point opportunities, reeling off the final 10 games to claim victory over the Colombian for the fifth straight time in 69 minutes.

"He hit the ball very hard at the beginning of the match. I thought it's going to be a very difficult match," said Nadal. "[It was] 2-2, 0/30. I came back in that game with a few good serves.I think after that I didn't have mistakes... When I had the chance to hit the ball with my forehand, I did. I think I [played] a very good match."

The Spaniard is bidding to win his first title of the season, having finished runner-up at the Australian Open to Novak Djokovic in the longest Grand Slam final in history. Nadal, a three-time finalist at Crandon Park, was edged out in last yearís title match by Djokovic.

"The Latin crowd makes this tournament very, very special," Nadal said. "I would love to win one time in my career, but [I've done] well. I played three finals." We wish that too Rafa, we wish that too! :kiss:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/03/12/ATP-Miami-Friday-Nadal.aspx

MariaV
03-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Rafa beat Radek Stepanek 6-2 6-2. Next up Kei Nishikori.
Nadal saved both break points he faced, and broke Stepanek twice in each set to clinch his sixth consecutive victory over the Czech in 87 minutes.

“I’m just happy to be in the fourth round, winning two matches with a positive feeling and with comfortable results,” Nadal said. “I’ll just try to keep doing well and try to keep improving my level a little bit.”

The Spaniard, looking to win his first trophy at Crandon Park after three runner-up finishes in 2005, 2008 and 2011, will square off against No. 16 seed Kei Nishikori next.

“He's a fantastic player and it will be a very difficult match for me,” said Nadal. “He has a big talent to hit the ball very early, to play very aggressive. So he will be a really tough opponent.”

http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/News/Tennis/2012/Tournament/Sunday/ATP-Miami-Sunday-Nadal-Dismisses-Stepanek.aspx (v)

Ben.
03-26-2012, 12:04 PM
I think Kei is going to be a big test. Rafa made far too many errors yesterday and there isn't much on the groundstrokes. Still he did enough to beat a poor Stepanek very comfortably so maybe there is no need to be criticial. Don't see him beating Murray in the semis though.

MariaV
03-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Hope he'll improve against Kei. And Murray can lose before the semis. Isner who could've been a huge threat already lost. :shrug:

VERY short presser transcript after the match vs Giraldo. :lol:

R. NADAL/S. Giraldo
6‑2, 6‑0

Q. Do you feel it was an easy night tonight, very easy?
RAFAEL NADAL: I never feel an easy match at this high level of competition, no? No one match is easy, no, even the score was very easy.
Because 6‑2, 6‑Love is a big difference in the score but not in the tennis, no? Every point, you have to fight every point. Every point is tough. You have to find solutions every moment.
And Giraldo is a very dangerous player, no? He hit the ball very hard at the beginning of the match. I thought it's gonna be a very difficult match, no, 2‑All, Love‑30, anything can happen.
Later I came back in that game with few good serves. I think after that I didn't have mistakes. I played very solid match with no mistakes.
You know, when I had the chance to hit the ball with my forehand, I did. I think I did a very good match.

Q. Do you feel extra pressure in Miami because you've come close as a finalist but have not won here yet? Do you feel more important to win in this tournament?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. I answered the other day. But, no, the answer is no. I try my best in every tournament, you know. I believe that almost every 1000 tournament are the same.
Every one is very important. It's true for the Latin crowd, that makes this tournament very, very special. I would love to win one time in my career, but I did well. I played three finals; I lost all three. I played, I believe, quarterfinals few times, too.
So I am here, and I'm gonna try my best for another year. But seriously, I don't feel more pressure here than the last week in Indian Wells, no?

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=78797

Mimi
03-27-2012, 09:53 AM
:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

born_on_clay
03-27-2012, 03:37 PM
I really hope for this title :unsure:

MariaV
03-27-2012, 08:08 PM
6-4 6-4 win over Kei Nishikori but that was a horror match. :help: :help: :tape: Broken twice, MTO for the knees. :help: :help: I won't even bother with the clay season now, you cannot win RG on one leg any more against this Nole 2.0 or Federina the ballerina in his 2nd youth. :o Not to mention other ball bashers that could demolish him on this faster than hc clay. :o

MariaV
03-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Sorry, here the presser after Stepanek, of what I heard this was a horror match too. :o

R. NADAL/R. Stepanek
6‑2, 6‑2

Q. I believe you've lost six games in two matches. How do you feel you're playing?
RAFAEL NADAL: Good. I did good, solid start of the tournament, no? Two good matches, comfortable wins. So happy to be in the fourth round. That's good.
Just happy to be in the fourth round winning two matches with, you know, positive feeling and with comfortable results. Just try to keep doing well and try to keep improving a little bit the level.

Q. You played with Marc in Indian Wells and you're playing with Marcel here. Do you know who you're going to play with in the Olympics?
RAFAEL NADAL: I said the other day I'm going to play with Marcel, yeah, if nothing strange happens.

Q. Since the subject came up, are you planning on playing mixed doubles at the Olympics?
RAFAEL NADAL: That's very far, three tournaments, you cannot play three tournaments in a row during the Olympics, so you never know what's going on. I don't know if I am gonna be in both competitions competing when the mixed starts.
If that's happen I will not be able to play, because the rules says you cannot play the three in a row, well, three at the same time. So I didn't decide that. I don't have any plan to play mixed, but I am open.

Q. Where do the Olympics fit into your priorities for this year? How important are you treating the games?
RAFAEL NADAL: Seriously remain a lot of important tournaments for me before the Olympics. Olympics is a great event, probably the greatest event in the world of sport, and I am very excited to be back there in the Village, enjoying with the family of sports, family of the world.
But, you know, I am thinking about Miami now; then I will think about Monte‑Carlo.

Q. You haven't won here. Does that bother you, or are you going to change it this year or try to? Obviously try to.
RAFAEL NADAL: That's not bothering me. No, no, no. I don't gonna win in every tournament. That's the real thing. I don't gonna finish my career winning all the tournaments of the tour.
I will try my best every year here. I tried in the past playing three fantastic tournaments, three finals.
So I didn't play enough well to win. I will keep trying the rest of my career, but that's the game. No, no, you win, you lose.

Q. You are next opponent is Kei Nishikori. You played with him last year. You won. But I think Kei improved a lot from last year, so it will be close match I think. What do you think?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, well, he's a fantastic player and will be a very difficult match for me.
He has a big talent to hit the ball very early, to play very aggressive. So, yeah, will be a really tough opponent, no?
If I am not playing my best, I will have not very good chances to be in the quarterfinals. So I gonna try to play well. I gonna try to play aggressive with no mistakes. If not, gonna be very difficult.

Q. You said many times that you play a lot of golf. I was wondering how often do you play? Why? Is it a way to relax for you to play golf?
RAFAEL NADAL: I play golf because I love sport in general. I love all the sports. :D
Golf today is a sport that the risk for injury is, you know, very small.
I love the game in general, no? I was watching all the afternoon the last round of the Arnold Palmer Invitational. I am a big fan of the sport in general, and golf is one of my favorites.
Golf is great, because you are always in beautiful places when you are playing. Most important thing at the same time is you can spend three, four hours, four hours and a half with good company, with friends, with family.
So that's makes the round good. You are not playing with people that you don't know. The family is completely different, no? Spending time with friends, with family, when I am going to play golf and I will play with them, that's great.

Q. A question about your next opponent. You have played him both on grass and also hard court. On which surface did you feel comfortable when you play against Nishikori?
RAFAEL NADAL: Every match is completely different, but I beat him two times on grass, I believe. One time here last year.
I remember all the matches really difficult. No one match can be easy against him. I said before, so will be a really difficult match.

Q. Nice to catch a little break? You came on a little later so you didn't get the heat and the humidity that you would get if you played earlier here in Miami.
RAFAEL NADAL: I am happy playing that late. For me is not a problem. I like to play at this time. Well, if I play before it's fine, too.
No, no, no. So I don't have any problem playing earlier or playing late.
Our Rafiangel :angel:

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=78843

Naudio Spanlatine
03-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Rafa needs to get his mojo back things are not looking good at the moment:help: :tape:

Ben.
03-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Didn't see the match but from what I've read, I escaped a couple of hours of torture. Bad knees now? After five weeks off? Yet another reason to do less running and more attacking he can ignore.

Mimi
03-28-2012, 01:50 AM
no bad knees again :banghead:

born_on_clay
03-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Any updates on the knees ? :scared:

Foxy
03-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Any updates on the knees ? :scared:

I thought it is nothing really serious. Just keep an eye on it. I didn't see him taking any painkillers or anti-inflamatories so I assume it's not that bad [yet].

MariaV
03-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Nope, no news, no update on FB after the Nishikori match. I also hope it's nothing too serious. :tape:

Tonight's match vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga not before 9:00 pm local time. I will be sleeping. :)

Hi Foxy! :wavey:

born_on_clay
03-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Maybe it was just precautionary :shrug:

Naudio Spanlatine
03-29-2012, 02:51 AM
watch people are gonna say when he wins that hes faking his injury once again:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
IF he wins.......:facepalm:

Naudio Spanlatine
03-29-2012, 05:55 AM
i think i have lost faith in rafa, i dunno whats gonna happen tomorrow all i know is that i have a bad feeling about clay season.:sobbing: :sobbing:

born_on_clay
03-29-2012, 07:52 AM
how was he playing against Tsonga ?
Does he stand any chance against Mugray ? :scared:

Ben.
03-29-2012, 09:36 AM
He was moving and hitting the ball well in the first set, though Tsonga was spraying all kinds of errors. His serve got progressively worse throughout though, then there was the horrendous choking and tight play. Should have been a comfortable straight sets win, instead of a three hour nail biter on a bum knee :o

I really do not want to see Nadal with this serve vs Djokovic.

MariaV
03-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Here what he had to say after the Nishikori match. The knees starting at IW already. :( And the Player Council thing, NID. :rolleyes:
And the match dealy, I wonder why they didn't ask about the 30+ seconds between the points. :o :rolleyes:

R. NADAL/K. Nishikori
6‑4, 6‑4

Q. Well done. The score didn't quite reflect the match. It was a bit tougher than that, wasn't it?
RAFAEL NADAL: At the beginning, yes. The beginning was a very tough match for me. I think I start playing more aggressive, I started playing shorter, so I suffered a lot with my serves the beginning of the match.
But seriously later, at the end of the first set, I felt that I start to win my serves easier than him. So the last couple of games of the end of the first set, I believe that I had more the control of the game, you know.
On the second set I started well, 3‑Love, so after I didn't suffer a lot with my serve. Just in the last game with the 5‑3 that I didn't play my best game there and he break me, no? Happy to have the break back later and finally win the match.

Q. In the first set you took a trainer break. New injury? Left knee? Is it okay?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, well, I had this since Indian Wells. During the week of Indian Wells, the knee was getting a little bit worse, so I arrive here so‑so, and happy I still play in quarterfinals.
I am not probably at perfect conditions today with the left knee, but important thing is try to win as many matches as possible. For me here is important tournament, and every victory have, you know, very, very big value for me, especially without being perfect.
But important thing after this is I have two weeks to recover for Monte‑Carlo. I'm happy to be in quarterfinals, and I will try my best for the next round, for sure.

Q. It's rumored that you stepped down from the ATP player council. Can you just explain to us about why you made that decision.
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I have been there for a couple of years. You know, I really don't know how to do things without put my 100%.
So if I go to play golf, I try my best in every moment. If I go to the player council, you know, I try my best in the player council. I put all my energy there.
So last year at the end of the season, you know, was a lot of things there. You know, finally I believe I put too much energy there. I am happy to represent my players there for the last couple of years.
I believe that we did few things well for the sport. I believe it's not enough. So today I believe that I am not the right one to keep working there. So I think another people can do better than me today.

Q. You have played Kei previously three times and this is the fourth time. Did you feel like he played differently this time or did you see any progress?
RAFAEL NADAL: He's doing well. He's playing great tennis. He's able to do the most difficult things of this sport very easy because he's able to go inside the court, change the direction of the ball. That's probably the most difficult thing of this sport. He's able to do it very easy, no?
When he improves and he plays with a little bit of less mistakes in some moments, he will be fighting for everything. So I like a lot how Kei plays. Seriously I have big respect for him. Before the match I know this match was a very dangerous one for me, and another reason I'm very happy to be through.

Q. You said before Kei will be a top 10 in the future. You say before. So do you have same opinion right now?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yes. Which ranking he has today?

Q. 16.
RAFAEL NADAL: He's still young, no? No, I believe he was very unlucky with the injuries in the past, so why not, no? He ends the season last year very well after a period, hard period with injuries. You know how tough is coming back after the injuries.
So he's playing very well another time, starting the season with quarterfinals, and he made quarterfinals in Australian Open.
So, you know, it's a fantastic start of the season. If he keep playing well, he will have his chances, for sure.

Q. Just back to the player council thing, can you tell us what areas‑‑ you suggested you have been very frustrated.
RAFAEL NADAL: I never said that I have been frustrated, no. I just said that I am not the right one. You know, I don't have enough energy to, you know ‑‑I cannot still put in my 100% there in the player council, no?
I can be there just listening, but that's not my style, no? I understand my period finish, and that's it. No, no, I am not frustrated. I believe that we can do much more things than what we have done until the day that I left.
My feeling is a great opportunity to improve the sport, because today the players are very unified.
So, you know, there is always troubles there. I understand sometimes the trouble from the other part, from tournaments, but I don't understand sometimes the trouble from our part, from the‑‑ from our reps, no?
So that's all. No, no, no, I am not frustrated. I try my best. I go. I resigned to the player council knowing that I tried my best and I put all my effort to try to represent my players ‑ the players that I represent they are the top 25 players ‑ as good as I can.
So today I feel that another player can do better than me, because I spend probably three, four years. We did things, but not enough. That's my feeling.

Q. Can I just ask you a little bit about slow play, Rafa? There were situations today where the match on Grandstand had played five games before the match on Stadium Court even started.
RAFAEL NADAL: We went on court like 15 minutes later than the Grandstand.

Q. Why is that?
RAFAEL NADAL: That's television, I believe.

Q. Don't you think there should be an obligation to actually start the match at 11:00?
RAFAEL NADAL: But 11:00 is not the time to start the match. 11:00 is the time that we go on court.

Q. Over on Grandstand with an 11:00 start they played five games before you had even started your match.
RAFAEL NADAL: You know, I have a lot of things to think. That's not my job. (Laughter.)

Q. I just wonder, if the time of the match says 11:00, should the players be on the court at 11:00?
RAFAEL NADAL: I went to ‑‑you know, I am a late guy. (Laughter.) That's the real thing.
But today I went on court when the supervisor told me. So that's the real thing. So for one time is not my fault (Laughter.)

Q. I have a question about David Ferrer. He's been in the top 5 for so many years and never won a Grand Slam or Masters Series. Do you have any idea why?
RAFAEL NADAL: Today because we are living a very difficult era of the tennis, no? That's the real thing. No, no, no. Probably another year David will have much more chances with his level to win an important titles.
Because he's a fantastic player, very regular player. His level is very, very high. But today the situation is that he was unlucky, because every time that he was there he has to fight against a very, very top guy.
Sure, he can win against everyone because his level is unbelievable. But today, to win a Masters 1000, to win a Grand Slam, you have to win against minimum two top 4. That's what happen the last couple of years almost in every tournament.
So he was there a lot of times. He will keep having chances to win. He did a fantastic wins in his career. He's having an unbelievable career.
He win three Davis Cups, so that's a lot. And he plays the final of the World Tour Finals in Shanghai couple years ago.
He's doing great, I believe. Remain just probably a big, big title for him. But the era today is the situation to win these kind of tournaments probably one of the more difficult.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=78878

Ben.
03-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Wait, he failed to serve out the match against Nishikori too? This has become an alarming habit.

MariaV
03-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Wait, he failed to serve out the match against Nishikori too? This has become an alarming habit.

Yep. And reportedly served like an utter mug, no %, no speed, no placement, only clowning JoWili didin't sweep him off the court like that time at the AO. :o
The first set was good though, maybe the knee started to bother, he dropped his level again and JoWili sensed an opening. Wasn't pretty though as MTF people tell. ;)

Ben.
03-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Despite how atrocious Tsonga was in the first set, I was very encouraged by Rafa's groundstrokes, he hit with consistant depth and was changing direction well. It turned to shit in a hurry though and if Tsonga wasn't such a poor returner he would have lost. In the middle of the third set, Rafa was tight, dropping everything short but Tsonga failed to put pressure on his serve like he did in the second set.

First set level is good enough to beat Murray if he serves better. If the knees are bad though, is there any point in trying to play back to back grindfests against Murray/Screech? I don't think so.

shawshank
03-29-2012, 02:24 PM

He also failed to serve out the match against Nalbandian in IW. Almost twice... His strength of closing out matches is gone. I just wonder how afraid will he be when he has to serve for the match against Djokovic in the future... If he ever has the chance for that :( Very bad match today. How can a world nr 2 get from 5/3 to 5/7? Murray is also playing bad atm, but still I can't see any chance for Rafa :( And the knee? After almost 6 weeks of break? Impossible.

Ben.
03-29-2012, 02:48 PM
We got a glimpse of what would happen if he was to serve for the match against Djokovic at the AO. He failed to even serve for a chance to serve for the match on his next service game :lol:

MariaV
03-29-2012, 04:50 PM
He also failed to serve out the match against Nalbandian in IW. Almost twice... His strength of closing out matches is gone. I just wonder how afraid will he be when he has to serve for the match against Djokovic in the future... If he ever has the chance for that :( Very bad match today. How can a world nr 2 get from 5/3 to 5/7? Murray is also playing bad atm, but still I can't see any chance for Rafa :( And the knee? After almost 6 weeks of break? Impossible.

I don't see any chance against Djokovic ever like this. :lol:

Start da Game
03-29-2012, 05:15 PM

6 weeks of rest is alright but it's not really about rest here.....that doubles garbage just adds up to the workload over a week, particularly for a player like him on hardcourts.....playing too much in a short span is just foolish, he knows it but for some reason he can't stop doing that......he played 6 singles and 5 doubles, total of 11 matches in 8 days at IW......

Start da Game
03-29-2012, 05:17 PM
as far as serving out matches is concerned, he will get back to the old ways pretty soon, he's lacking confidence at the moment.....he first needs a title......

MariaV
03-30-2012, 01:47 PM
His reply to JoWili's allegations.

R. NADAL/J. Tsonga
6‑2, 5‑7, 6‑4

Q. How would you rank your level on that match?
RAFAEL NADAL: My level? It wasn't one of my best matches. That's the real thing.
I didn't play very well tonight. I think I started match playing really well, but later when I had the break at the second, after the break of the second, I don't know which game I had the break of the second, but after that I started to play more defensive, no? To close the match, I played very bad. That's my feeling. :lol:
Before, no. Before, I believe Jo had much more mistakes than usual. That's makes the match‑‑ make the match less complicated for me at the beginning.
But, you know, when he started to play a little bit better and I have advantage in the score in the second set with the break, I started to play more defensive. Finally, I played a really bad game serving for the match at 5‑4, and then he started to play better. That's the true. And I happy about my third set.

Q. The third set looked like you were having the same scores in the first set.
RAFAEL NADAL: Sorry?

Q. The last set, he was about to break you again ‑‑second set, I'm sorry. The third set, the last game was, you know, a very tough game. Were you worried at that point that, you know, that you...
RAFAEL NADAL: I had a few break points again in the last game serving for the match another time.
You know, losing the second set, serving for the set, stays on my mind when I have to serve for the match another time in the third.
So I arrived at that moment, and anything can happen. That's the true. I didn't play very well the last game, as well. But I was able to find solutions and to go to the net a few times and to hit good shots.
I was lucky with one mistake of Tsonga with his forehand. He was unlucky he broke his strings.
So that's the thing. Finally I won. That's it.

Q. Can you explain why you played more defensive? Do you know why? Confidence?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. Seriously my feeling was Jo was ‑‑he was having much more mistakes than usual, so the match didn't have the right rhythm.
When I arrive to that moment to serve for the match, you know, for moments I didn't know if I have to play more aggressive, I have to play just defensive because, you know, he was doing almost everything, having few winners but at the same time having lot of mistakes.
So for moments I had the feeling that just playing solid without risk was enough for moments. So when I arrived to that last game, I really didn't had the right line how to win the points.
So that's the thing. My serve was bad. I really served bad tonight. Much worse than the previous days. Yep that's right!

Q. You said that you played well the beginning and then you played bad as the match was going on. Do you think it's a fitness issue?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. Well, I have problems on my left knee. That's the thing. I'm not feeling great. I don't know what's gonna happen in the next match, because gonna be a big match against one of the toughest opponents on tour, and probably I don't arrive in my perfect conditions to that match.
But, you know, we talking about physical performance, I am feeling great, no? I am not tired today now after three hours' match. My fitness is perfect. It's not a problem, that. I don't know the problems. :o

Q. Andy Murray in the semifinals. You each have a mutual respect for each other. What do you think of that matchup, meeting here in Miami for the first time?
RAFAEL NADAL: Always playing Andy is a pleasure for me, and exciting playing against a player like him that push you at the limit on everything.
The negative thing is I have to recover well. I have to improve my knee if I really want to have any chance to win.
If not, gonna be almost impossible. But always is fantastic being in semifinals, first two Masters 1000s of the year, being in both semifinals in hard court are fantastic results.
So happy in that. Right now hopefully I can recover and can enjoy the match.

Q. He was saying that he had too many complaints to the referee at the end of the game, that he had to challenge too much because the referee never say out, because he has a feeling that the referee doesn't want to say out against you. He says that.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, well, that's...

Q. What is your feeling?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I understand sometimes the frustration on this situations, no? Because that is true that the referees with the Hawk‑Eye are doing less overrules than before. I said hundreds of times, too, no?
But is not because he's playing against me. No, no. Happen to me a lot of times, no?
Easy to remember. In Australia, you remember against Berdych the very important points 6‑All in the tiebreak of the first set? So he didn't make overrule, too, and ball was clear out.
So I called the challenge late and the point was for Berdych.
So is not a thing with me. Is a thing, general thing with the referees today that with the Hawk‑Eye I believe that they feels that they have less pressure than before. So probably knowing that you have the challenge, they don't take the risk to have to overrule.
He's right in one thing; he's wrong in another thing.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=78907

Start da Game
03-30-2012, 02:21 PM
I don't see any chance against Djokovic ever like this. :lol:

when did you ever see any chance against djokovic? i doubt even in 2008 you din't think rafa was the favourite.....but again i can't accuse a safin-fed-tard of not supporting nadal even though she posts in the nadal forum......

MariaV
03-30-2012, 04:25 PM
LOL thanks SdG... I think. :lol:

Edit: Rafa gave a walkover to Murray in the semis. So that was it. :sad:

shawshank
03-30-2012, 06:08 PM
:(

born_on_clay
03-30-2012, 09:35 PM
If Rafa won't lift MC trophy I will start to worry for real :scared:

Ben.
03-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Going to be tough, I expect Federer to take a WC, so the whole top 4 will be there. Just hope he knees are better by then.

MariaV
04-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Sorry I'm late but here's the presser Rafa gave after retirement. :sad:

Q. Perhaps you could just take us through the situation you're faced with. We assume it's your knee. Could you tell us the story of the last couple of days?
RAFAEL NADAL: Oh, I started the ‑‑since the beginning of the tournament I have problems, but the real thing is growing worse every day.
So after the last match, I saw that the situation were going to be complicated to play today. But, as always, I always believe that the things can improve.
So I waited until today in the morning. I did a lot of treatment yesterday, waiting, that we can recover a little bit for today.
But I am not ready to compete today. I am very sorry for the fans. I'm very sorry for the tournament. I'm very sorry for everybody who were ready to watch the match on the television, for television, for everybody. But I don't have pleasure. I cannot do it another thing.
I am not ready to compete, and I cannot go on court and lie to everybody. That's the thing today.

Q. Can you describe the problem exactly for us? Do you know what it is precisely?
RAFAEL NADAL: I have problems on the left knee. I cannot ‑‑I have to go to doctor, but looks like is nothing really, really different that happen a few times in the past.
Just go to the doctor hopefully tomorrow, and hopefully in a few days, with a few days off and with the right treatment, I will be in the right conditions to start to practice on the clay.

Q. Because obviously you want to protect as best you can for the clay court season coming up? You say just going out there and running around on the hard court is not going to do you any good in the long run?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, but not. Yes, I want to arrive to the clay court with the right conditions, but I want to arrive here with the right conditions. That's why I rest all February.
So I am not thinking ‑‑I am not going on court today not because I have the clay court season. I am not going on court today because I cannot go on court today.
No, no. Nothing about clay court season. Clay court season is there in two weeks, but this tournament is very important for me, and I feel very sad to have to go out before a beautiful match for me, semifinals against Andy.

Q. What is your clay court schedule? What are the chances that that may change now?
RAFAEL NADAL: Nothing change. Even if it's sad to finish these two tournaments like this, playing two semifinals is a good result for me.
First three tournaments of the year I played final and two semifinals in very difficult tournaments, so that's the positive thing that stays on my mind, playing good tennis. It's true the last day I did not play good tennis, but my knee is not ready to play good tennis.
So in general, I am very happy almost about everything. My schedule gonna be the same. Monte‑Carlo, Barcelona, first two tournaments.

Q. How worrying is it to have the same thing happen again with your knee when you thought it was fixed?
RAFAEL NADAL: Less than if I have a new thing, because something that happened in the past, I know what to do to get better quick, and that's what we're gonna try.

Q. So where are you going now? Where are you going from here? Are you going back to Mallorca?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know yet. I gonna ‑‑I have to check a few things. I want to go to visit the doctor, and I don't know if I will be able to do it ‑‑ I will try to do it as fast as possible, to try to come back on court as quick as possible, too.

Q. Did you have any problems coming out of your training in February? When you went to Indian Wells, everything was good?
RAFAEL NADAL: I start to feel a little bit in Mallorca. But, no, everybody has ‑‑almost everybody has pain when you are playing in this high level of competition, no?
The true is in Indian Wells I had ‑‑I start to have problems on the knee before Indian Wells, and Indian Wells I have my problems on the knee. But that problem, no, are not limiting me to play at 100%.
So I played in Indian Wells with the normal conditions, playing in good shape physically and everything. Here is different.

Q. Is it described as tendinitis or something else?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. But seriously the tendons are much better today than three years ago. The treatments worked fantastic.
Even if today a really bad knee and last couple of days were tough for me, but positive thing the tendon improve a lot the last couple of years.
I am more health with both tendons than now. So the treatments are working well. In 2009 I really compete but compete in very bad conditions a lot of times. For the last couple of years, 2010, 2011, I was able to compete with perfect conditions for almost all the year.
So that's always fantastic when that's happening. This year I started well with no problems. Today is bad news, but that's the sport. We cannot expect playing as much as we play, be perfect every day of our life.
Today is my turn. Everybody have problems, and I will be working hard to be back quick on court and to play my best in Monte‑Carlo.

Q. You always play with a lot of injuries. Are you more cautious now? Because you always play with‑‑ I remember US Open when you have the other thing. Are you more cautious now?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, I always try my best. But today I feel that I am not ready to compete, no? I always start hard. I tried in the US Open like the example in 2009, but I have big broke of the abdominal at the end of the US Open.
Then after US Open I had to stop for one month and a half with no competition. So I cannot repeat mistakes from the past, but that doesn't mean that I am more afraid about playing with pains or not.
I try my best in every moment with pain, without pain, but when I see the situation is done and I cannot, I cannot. That's it. :awww: :sad:

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=78958

MariaV
04-12-2012, 10:01 AM
The most picturesque tennis venue ever. :awww: :hearts: :inlove:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9gyA0tzaNA0/SWB_BgFVCCI/AAAAAAAAKl4/3gVR89wjAc8/s640/P1090743.JPG

http://www.oncourtadvantage.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/12399272_fd1b82e1bc_z.jpg

http://www.bisportarluno.com/wp-content/uploads//2010/10/montecarlo.png

MariaV
04-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Here the draw, finally. :rolleyes:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2012/410/mds.pdf

I hope Nieminen will beat the horrible Stepanek and play Rafa in the 2nd rd.
Uhhhhhh, I don't know AT ALL what to predict with this injury break Rafa had, and Nole & Murray still doing so well. :scared: :unsure:
But I'll be cheering and enjoying the scenery on my TV! :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Start da Game
04-14-2012, 03:45 PM
see this pic, maria.....we can watch tennis all day from there if we had a seat there.....

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/6244/2011eniyifotograflarres.jpg

MariaV
04-16-2012, 08:01 PM
Rafa not playing tomorrow yet.

Naudio Spanlatine
04-16-2012, 08:58 PM
hes playing on Wednesday against Jarkko Niemien

MariaV
04-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Haven't seen the full presser transcript yet but then of course I'm fat & lazy. :o

Seven-time Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters champion Rafael Nadal insisted on Monday, "it is a pleasure to be back at one of the best clubs in the world." :zzz:

Speaking at the Monte-Carlo Country Club, where he has a 39-1 record, the World No. 2 said, "It is a tournament with a lot of history for me. It is a place where I have had the most success and I am very happy and excited to play here. I think I have done well here, perhaps because of luck, but also [because of] the conditions. I believe I always play my best tennis here."

Despite Nadal's dominance on clay courts, he admitted it takes time for him to get used to playing on clay courts.

"I need time, hours on court," said Nadal. "I need to play matches and practise to be comfortable on court. I cannot walk straight onto clay and be okay. I started playing four days ago. I just need to be patient and be ready for Wednesday." :scared: :unsure:

The 25-year-old Spaniard has a 231-18 career record (.928) on red dirt, including 32 titles, and leads the FedEx ATP Reliability Index (since 1973).

"I have always been nervous [at the start of tournaments]," he admitted. "I have lots of success on clay in the past, so I want to do well.

"I haven't won a title [for 10 months], but how many finals have I played? Win or lose, it depends. Over the past three years, I have decided to play the big tournaments, against the best players, so the challenge is greater if you want to win those titles." Let's not count all the final losses over the more than a year now. :tape: :help: :rolleyes: :o

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/04/16/Monte-Carlo-Preview-Nadal.aspx

Ben.
04-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Rafa and his "best club/court/stadium of the world." He hasn't met a tennis court he didn't like it seems :lol:

MariaV
04-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Rafa's match vs Nieminen is 3rd on Court Central tomorrow.

Ben.
04-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Well he got it done it two. I suppose the upside is he can get a lot better. Still can't serve anything out without some drama though.

MariaV
04-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Maybe I love him so much because I'm such a drama queen myself. :o ;)

OK Nieminen beaten 6-4 6-3.
Rafa vs Kukushkin last match on Court Central. Let's hope the knee will get only better. :tape: :o Vamos! :rocker: :bounce: :bigclap:

MariaV
04-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Kukushkin beaten 6-1 6-1 in an hour. :D
I was afrad to watch the beginning but the 2nd set looked like a good one-hour workout he'd need anyway. :)
The weather not good in MC but got the matches in today. :)

MariaV
04-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Rafa vs Stanislas Wawrinka 3rd match on Court Central today. :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Start da Game
04-20-2012, 08:50 AM
it will not be a match.....it will be a tennis clinic.....

MariaV
04-20-2012, 12:11 PM
R. NADAL/J. Nieminen
6‑4, 6‑3

Q. How did you feel about your performance today?
RAFAEL NADAL: Really normal. I believe that I played a really normal match, nothing special. Nothing very bad, but nothing very good. So just, yeah, normal. That's it.
First match on clay after long time, first match after 15 days without touch a racquet, just practicing five, six days. So is happened the normal thing and most important thing is I won 6‑4, 6‑3 in straight sets.
Tomorrow I have another chance to keep improving, and that's what I'm going to try.

Q. The sensations were pretty good with everything?
RAFAEL NADAL: We'll see, no? We need days to see how all the sensations improve: the knees, the tennis, everything. When you stop for 15 days without practice, physical performance, practice tennis, your body lose a little bit the performance, no? That's something usual.
I need practice, and today was a good practice. Tomorrow going to be another tough match against a player who is dangerous. We'll see what's going to happen.

Q. When you have an injury, how long is it usually for you before you can push it 100%, especially with your knee?
RAFAEL NADAL: The problem is in this sport normally you don't have time. But if happens when you have one month, and you can practice one week and a half, two weeks before a tournament, is not a problem. Two weeks are enough to practice good physical performance, practice hard on court, then the competition. You always need the competition to arrive to the top, no?
But in this case I had very short period of time and start one of the most important part of the season for me, so I know that I have to be ready, no? I try to go faster than usual on the recover when you have the problem on the knee to try to be competitive here, and that's what I tried.
We'll see if the effort work.

Q. Did you feel you had to be more careful, more cautious?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't think that when I'm playing. I think about the ball. That's enough work for me. And, seriously, I said all day, you know, I feel that I can play with no limitations today. The knee is still there, but is not without impediments to run at every ball.
But we'll see. We'll see what's going.

Q. Dolgopolov/Djokovic is the sort of match you would like to watch?
RAFAEL NADAL: Normally is strange. Normally is strange to play against Dolgopolov. We'll see. Can be a good match; can be a not very good match. I think Dolgopolov is a funny player, but at the same time he can play at very high level.
I played against him few times. Doesn't mean that you play against Dolgopolov will be a funny match because sometimes you go out of rhythm. Can the match become too crazy sometimes.
But surely Dolgopolov is inspired and he's playing his best. He's kind of player that is dangerous to play against him. We'll see.

Q. Was it particularly breezy out on the court today?
RAFAEL NADAL: Windy?

Q. Yes.
RAFAEL NADAL: Nothing crazy. On the sea, the sea is in very bad conditions today. But to play tennis, now looks a little bit worst. I saw the David Ferrer match now looks a little bit worst than when I played. But nothing very bad, in my opinion.
I played here in very tough conditions.

Q. Have you seen the match of David?
RAFAEL NADAL: I saw just few games. Nothing. I don't have a really right opinion. I didn't see enough to have an opinion about the match. But sad for him.
He's having a fantastic season, so you cannot expect to play your best tennis in every tournament, no? He had a great tournament in Miami, Acapulco, lot of tournaments he play. Auckland, Australia, he had amazing performance, too.
Is something that can happen. He had a very bad draw, in my opinion. First round against Bellucci is one of the rounds you don't want to see here. And that happen.
But the short period of match that I watched, Bellucci played very aggressive, very hard with his forehand, and was tough to stop him. He has a very good serve and he hit the ball very heavy.
Is better to play this match when you have three, four matches in your shoulders on clay, not the first day, and when he already has a match.

Q. What did you think of Real Madrid last night? :lol:
RAFAEL NADAL: Was a positive result for us. Last goal was at the last minute, 19th. If you see about the result, I think is nothing negative, no? We'll see.
In my opinion, Real Madrid did a good match. Another thing is we scored with 1‑1, my opinion we didn't have enough, I don't know, possession of ball. When we scored 1‑All, we needed in that moment, because that was the moment ‑ I don't know how to say ‑ to stop the match, have control of the match, have the ball, try to make goals. But we didn't have that chance. Finally had a few opportunities, and we were a little bit unlucky in the last minute. But I feel confident we will go fine. :D

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=79250

MariaV
04-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Rafa beat Stanislas Wawrinka 7-5 6-4. :D
Tomorrow semis vs Gilles Simon not before 3 pm local time. Vamos! :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:
Not gonna say anything in order not to jinx. :tape:

born_on_clay
04-20-2012, 06:47 PM
:rocker:

Naudio Spanlatine
04-21-2012, 01:50 AM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

MariaV
04-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Sorry guys, here the presser after beating Kukushkin.

R. NADAL/M. Kukushkin
6-1, 6-1

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Rafa.

Q. The match was more easy than you expected or...
RAFAEL NADAL: Sure, you never expect win 6 1, 6 1. But the match started in the perfect way. I played much better than yesterday, in my opinion. More aggressive, more solid. My serve was much better. The return, too.

In general today I very happy how I played.

Q. Two players twisted badly their ankles during the tournament. Do you think that the clay is a little bit more dangerous this year?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. But the clay in general is not dangerous. The problem is if the part behind of the court is not hundred percent flat, that's when is dangerous. Happened to another one, the qualifier, one French guy I think. I didn't see. But in the main draw, happened to Juan, and today to Julien. I saw both.
The problem was exactly the same because in your mind you think that you are slicing, but when you find a piece like this in the court (indicating uneven), the part behind is normally stiff, hard, solid. So you find a part a little bit higher than another one, this is when you are dead. Happened in the same place, in my opinion, no?
So probably the court is a little bit like this. When your mind think you are slicing, the foot finds something.

Q. Bad luck?
RAFAEL NADAL: Is bad luck. The guys who make the court, they have to look around this afternoon, in my opinion, no, because I was scared. I played with tape in both ankles.
But I think is not a problem of the clay; is a problem probably of that part of the court is a little bit different. Is not in perfect conditions.

Q. Could you talk about what Toni brings, what his presence brings when he's at the tournament, and then when he's not?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, depends of the way the question is done. Is not nice for the other coach, no, when he comes with me.
I believe Toni knows me better than nobody. We are working together since beginning of my career, since I have three years old. So probably he knows my game better than nobody, no?
But Toni bring me important things. When Francis Roig with me bring me different things, probably positive, because help my game, too. Together makes a good combination for me.
If I have to say thanks to anybody, I have to say always to my uncle, no? Without him, always be impossible be where I am today and have the career that I had. I don't think I have any doubt on that. I can say thanks to all my life to my Uncle Toni, no?
But today I feel very good when he's with me. But I feel very comfortable with the other one, with Francis Roig, too.

Q. A sad day for Novak today. I don't know if you heard about his grandfather. Do you think he was brave to play today?
RAFAEL NADAL: These are personal things. I cannot have a real opinion that because you have to be in the position. Depends how the thing happened. It depends is something you are expecting for a long time and you can imagine.
But always when happen is tough, no? So I think he made a fantastic effort today. That's mean that he is very strong mentally today. So just congratulate him for what he did this afternoon, no?
I'm sorry for him. I'm sorry for his grandfather. Well, I tell him in the locker room. Is difficult to say something in this situation. Just congratulate him because his attitude was very positive.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

http://www.monte-carlorolexmasters.com/News/Tennis/2012/Interview-Transcripts/Rafael-Nadal-Thursday.aspx

MariaV
04-21-2012, 11:43 AM
And after beating Wawamug. :o Both were mugging around enough. :o

R. NADAL/S. Wawrinka
7-5, 6-4

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Rafa.

Q. You're in the semis without losing a set. Everything is under control or...
RAFAEL NADAL: Never is under control everything, no? But yesterday and today improved the level. Today was a difficult match. I had before the match big respect for this afternoon. He arrived to the match playing I think great. Fantastic victory yesterday, 6 3, 6 3, so...
I think I did well, no? I happy about the way that I played. I'm in semifinals. That's a fantastic news for me. Just looking forward to playing a good match tomorrow.

Q. Bjorn Borg said you were the greatest clay court player ever.
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, just can say thank you to him, no?
But let's wait when I finish my career. Today I am playing. You have to look at that when both careers are finished.
I really can't have a real opinion on that. My uncle always told me that when Bjorn go on court, everybody feels that he's unbeatable, no? So that's probably means that he can be the best of the history.
I don't know how to explain, but I don't have this feeling. I don't feel unbeatable, no? He probably had that feeling.
I think I have much better results that I ever dreamed, but I don't know if I am to the number of Bjorn.

Q. Tsonga, Simon?
RAFAEL NADAL: Completely different games. I think Simon won the first set.

Q. Yes.
RAFAEL NADAL: We'll see. Both matches will be different, but at the same time difficult, with the game goal: play my best tennis. If I play my best tennis, I will have my chances. If not, I will have much less chances.

Q. Simon plays in the same way like you, with long rallies. Do you prefer that?
RAFAEL NADAL: We play, I believe, a different way.

Q. Long rallies.
RAFAEL NADAL: Long rallies but different way, no? His style of shot is much flatter. Is true that he's able to defend very well, have a very good comeback from difficult situations, something that can be seen a little of me. In general I believe that the game is difficult, no?
And Tsonga, sure, he can put always in big trouble with the serve, forehand, playing aggressive, going to the net. That's can happen, no?
Both matches are different styles. Seriously, I prefer the winner because I cannot choose. So I will prefer the guy who gonna win and try to do my tennis and try to play aggressive with both of them.
Even if completely different styles of game, I always try to play my game, and will try to have the control of the point from inside against both.

Q. 40 victories. It's a big number. Do you think could be the end one day?
RAFAEL NADAL: Tomorrow. You never know.

Q. As we asked to Djokovic, about the blue clay in Madrid, what do you think about this? Do you agree or not?
RAFAEL NADAL: I not agree, sure. I don't support that. I don't support that for different reasons. First thing because you are in the middle of clay court season, and the clay here in Europe is red. So you have back to back Madrid and Rome. Madrid is the only tournament you are playing with high altitude, and then now you are putting a different color of clay. The tournament can't be too much difference between Madrid and Rome. That's first feeling.
Second feeling is Madrid is enough big to not because they don't need to have this promotion for the tournament, because Madrid for themselves, the tournament is one of the best of the world. The history of the clay court season was on red, it wasn't on blue. You can tell me that I am traditional, but I am not. I love all improvements.
What makes a really important tournament, what makes a really big tournament at the end is the history of tennis. This tournament is big because the history is there. Best players of history played in this court.
My opinion, is a mistake. In my opinion, too, is always the same history, no? The players doesn't win nothing. The tennis doesn't win nothing. One person win. Only the owner of the tournament win something on that. So I cannot understand how the ATP accept that.
We were against, the players. But the president vote for themself.
:worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown: and :hatoff: for speaking your mind, Rafa!

Q. Did you have the opportunity to practice last year on this blue clay?
RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't want. I didn't want to practice. That's the true. I gonna play Madrid for many reasons. But the only reason that tells me that I cannot go to Madrid is Madrid can destabilize my game for different reasons. I'm not the only one who thinks that. It's my country. It's one of my favorite tournaments of the world. I play at home. I play in Madrid. I play in front of my crowd. I love the tournament. But the decision, in my opinion, is not great.
you can tank Madrid any time Rafa, really, let them boo or whistle or whatever, hey, let them boo & whistle to Tiriac

Q. Rafa, what do you think of the court here?
RAFAEL NADAL: I talked about that yesterday, so that's enough. That was unlucky. I told him why happened that. But hopefully don't gonna happen again.

Q. I didn't mean people falling over. There were a couple of strange bounces also.
RAFAEL NADAL: On clay, strange bounces. In the best clay court of the history, you have bad bounces. That's true.

http://www.monte-carlorolexmasters.com/News/Tennis/2012/Interview-Transcripts/Rafael-Nadal-Friday.aspx

Naudio Spanlatine
04-21-2012, 05:37 PM
OMG this final is gonna be a mess i can feel it:tape: :tape: :o

Ben.
04-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Yup Dee, I hope everyone is prepared for disappointment :scared:

Just like heaven
04-21-2012, 06:51 PM
:bigcry:

born_on_clay
04-21-2012, 08:20 PM
600 points already in the bag guys.
Closing on Federer in race :yeah:

Lucilla
04-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Best of luck for tomorrow, Rafa :hug:

Ben.
04-22-2012, 01:37 PM
:sobbing:

evilmindbulgaria
04-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Congratulations to all of you who have stuck with Rafa through thick and thin!

born_on_clay
04-22-2012, 02:02 PM
The tears of joy
:hearts:
:bounce:
:clap2:
:bigclap:
:bowdown:
:woohoo:
:banana:
:bigwave:

shawshank
04-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Finally!!!! You have no idea how happy I am :) Let's keep winning!
I liked Rafa's serve a lot! Many free points! I would say that on clay Rafa can't serve any better!

Lucilla
04-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Congrats Rafael!!!! :bounce::bigclap::banana::cheerleader::yippee: :woohoo:

I can't believe he finally did it, I am so happy for him :D

MariaV
04-22-2012, 03:02 PM
The presser after semis vs Simon.

R. NADAL/G. Simon
6-3, 6-4

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

Q. Was the key today that you played better the big points, saving all the breakpoints?
RAFAEL NADAL: The difficult matches always decides, yes, a few balls. For sure I saved all the breakpoints. The most important one was the 3 All, 15 40. That was the most important on the match because I know after that I play with new balls. That is better for me because the bounces are higher and more favorable for me, and with the wind in my favor. That was probably one of the keys of the match. And then I did a few things well.
Is always difficult to play against Gilles. Is always smart on the court and he knows how to play tennis. Very happy. Was a very difficult victory for me, and I did. So fantastic being in another final. :D

Q. How important is tomorrow for you after seven defeats with Novak, and seven wins here in Monte Carlo for you? Is it a match like any others or not?
RAFAEL NADAL: When you lost seven, don't nothing if I lost eight. That's the real thing, no? You lose seven or eight, doesn't change a lot.
First one is a lot. Second is 50% more. So now 10% less every time. The pain is less, too.

Q. Are you sure the pain is less? :o
RAFAEL NADAL: Sure. Finally you accept and you keep fighting.
Is an important match. But for me be in the final is a fantastic news at the same time. That give me calm start the clay court season like this. Don't forget that few weeks ago I didn't know if I will be here playing or not. Seven days ago I was practicing here for the third day just after 15 days without touching the racquet. Today I'm in the final.
My feeling is I have much less to lose than him. I have everything to win. That's the most important thing. That's the only positive thing about losing seven times. The next matches, you only have to win. You go to the match knowing that the normal thing is lose but trying the best to change situation. That's what I going to try.
I would love to play that match two weeks later. :D This kind of pyschology seems to work for Rafa :o

Q. What does it mean for you to go to an eighth final in a row here after the problems you have with your knee?
RAFAEL NADAL: Is a perfect way to start the clay court season, be in the final without losing a set, playing especially yesterday and today matches against two tough players. It means a lot to start another clay season with a final. Now remain the most difficult thing. I am here to try.
If not, I'm going to go to Barcelona knowing I played four matches here with the right level. The clay court season is short but at the same time is long. I have time.
I need to improve physically because I didn't have the chance to practice physically for the last 15 days. I had to be without practice, the physical performance, in and out of the court. So matches like today help me a lot to be more fit for the next tournaments. That's very important for me.
Today and yesterday I had two tough matches. You get the performance physically on court.

Q. Do you hope for a windy day tomorrow?
RAFAEL NADAL: Windy day?

Q. You come from an island. Maybe.
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, no. I prefer with the normal conditions. I prefer to play normal tennis. Doesn't matter. I going to accept if there is windy. If windy, try my best in every moment. If I lose, I going to shake the hand like the other seven and go home.
If I win, I'm going to be very happy. But I have the calm that I won here seven times already. That means a lot to me. Will try tomorrow for the number eight. But seven is much more than what I ever thought. :D

Q. You say that Novak is the favorite tomorrow because you have not enough training sessions.
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no. I said he's the favorite because he beat me the last seven times, not because I don't have enough training sessions.
Seriously, I will like to play this match a few weeks later, but not for the reason he's the favorite. When one player beats another one seven times in a row, clay, hard, and grass, is very easy to decide the favorite.

Q. You talk about the physical condition. The kind of story we had in Melbourne with the physical condition. Do you feel better now?
RAFAEL NADAL: You look me bad in Melbourne?

Q. You made it to the finals.
RAFAEL NADAL: But like the physical or tennis performance?

Q. Physical performance.
RAFAEL NADAL: I play six hours, the final.

Q. Do you feel better now than you did in Melbourne?
RAFAEL NADAL: Better, no. I feel worse than in Melbourne. I feel worse. In Melbourne I didn't have a problem physically for last month. I was able to practice. I played five set matches, four sets against Berdych, four sets against Federer. That's a lot of preparation to play a final like I did.
Here I played four matches, but straight sets. Demanding ones only yesterday and today. More today. But we'll see. That's always tough to talk. Because you have to write, I'll talk that much. :o :tape:

Q. Will you try something different tomorrow?
RAFAEL NADAL: What can I do?

Q. I don't know. That's my question.
RAFAEL NADAL: Some innovation (turning hand upside down).

Q. Play more aggressive?
RAFAEL NADAL: Is the only way to win, play more aggressive. I know that.
At the end, you cannot change your game a lot, no? I don't have that talent to change a lot my game. I have to change a few things, like I did in Australia, like playing more aggressive, trying to go for the point. I was very happy after my match, the way that I played there, no?
I will try to keep trying to play aggressive. I think is the only way. I said there that I was in the right way to try to win against Novak and try to have a perfect year. I was a little bit unlucky with the knee, especially in Miami. But before Indian Wells I have little bit problems, too.
But, you know, finally played four tournaments in normal conditions this year, and I did one final, two semifinals, and another final here. So I am doing very well in my opinion. Just remain a few things. This week hopefully going to help me for the next weeks on clay.
And tomorrow is a match that will be a fantastic test for me, and I have to play aggressive. I know. I have to try to return longer and try to have the position on the court more inside than today and yesterday, try to have the control of the point from there. If not, is impossible to hit winner against Novak from behind the baseline because his movements are too good.

Q. Even if you lost seven times, the two matches you lost on clay are one year ago. You were not playing at your best when you lost in Madrid and in Rome. I don't know what you think.
RAFAEL NADAL: Sure, you are free. Yes, but don't forget that last year I get injured in Australia, and after I played final in Indian Wells, final in final Miami, champion Monte Carlo, champion Barcelona, final Madrid, champion Roland Garros, final Wimbledon. So for my level, that's a very good season. I must be playing really well to have the results. Seriously, I don't consider myself that good to do these results without play my best.
Probably against Novak I didn't play my best, yes. But that's for any reason. And probably the reason was him, you know. Because against others, I was able to play well and don't lose a match against the rest of the players. So the reason to play bad against Novak probably was because he make me play bad.

Q. Did you see the match of Djokovic today with Berdych?
RAFAEL NADAL: I saw the match, yeah, sure.

Q. What's your opinion about it?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think Novak had the control of the match in the first set with the 4 2. He had a few mistakes. He played two bad games. Then Berdych play very well.
The beginning of the second set was too important. The first three games of the second set can be totally different history, but was 3 Love for Novak, and that's the match. The match finished there, in my opinion.

http://www.monte-carlorolexmasters.com/News/Tennis/2012/Interview-Transcripts/Rafael-Nadal-Saturday.aspx

RAFA THE CHAMPION OF MONTE CARLO AGAIN!!!!!!! Beating Novak convincingly 6-3 6-1!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Mimi
04-23-2012, 02:21 AM
All hail Queen Maria for bringing good luck to Rafa :bowdown: :bigclap:

MariaV
04-23-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks Mimi, but it wasn't just me, it's all of us cheering for him! :D :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

The final presser. :D R. NADAL/N. Djokovic
6-3, 6-1

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: First question for Rafa, please.

Q. Do you think you played the perfect game on serve and return today?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think never nothing is perfect. That's the true. I played a very, very good first set, in my opinion, very solid after he start very good in the first game. He had 15 30. The second game, the serve was very important. The three serves saved my game in the second game.
After that I'm happy how I played the first set. My serve worked very, very good. Sure, I had a few free points with the serve. But most important thing, after the serve, I had the chance to go inside with my forehand a lot of times, so this makes a big difference, no?
First set for me was very, very important. I played a very high level. Second set he had much more mistakes than usual.

Q. Nobody would like to take anything away from your eight wins in Monte Carlo, which is a great achievement. But today didn't you feel that Djokovic wasn't the real best Djokovic?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, Djokovic wasn't the real best Djokovic. In other finals that I played against him, I wasn't my real best, too. But the real best are both. My real best is when I play well and when I play bad. The real Rafa is not only when I play my best. The real Rafa is when I play well, when I don't play that well.
If I take that for myself, the same for the others.
Djokovic had amazing one year and a half, having always perfect, no mistakes. Today, yes, he had more mistakes than usual. I won 6 3, 6 1. Win 6 3, 6 1 is for sure not normal to win against the best player of the world today. But happened. Very happy for my victory. Sorry for him. But that's sport. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Sometimes you play fantastic, sometimes you play normal, sometimes you play worst.
Today I played a very good first set. In my opinion, he didn't have a very bad first set. In the second, yes, but not in the first.

Q. It seems to me that you put more speed on your first serve. Do you agree with that?
RAFAEL NADAL: I had the right feeling on the first serve. I served a little bit more wide than usual. The speed was between 178 to 198 almost every serve. If you have the right percentage, that's enough. If you put the balls to the right places, is enough speed. And today was a very high percentage, in my opinion, very good directions, no? So I'm very happy.

Q. What is the secret, you have won many tournaments, but you win one tournament eight times? What is the secret about Monte Carlo? You have wind, soft ground. Is this the reason you play every year on such a high level?
RAFAEL NADAL: I always loved this tournament, seriously, since I was a kid. One of my dreams was play here. Is a historic tournament that you see all your idols when you are a kid playing here. Is a tournament that I think everybody wants the right to play.
To have eight victories, the first thing that must happen is lucky because you have to be in the right way, no injuries, perfect conditions for eight years in a row. That the first thing.
Second thing, you have to be playing almost perfect to win eight titles in a row, especially in a Masters 1000. Best players of the world play always. You have to win against the best. If you see the finals I win here, all the finals are against probably top six players. That's something that makes the victories even more difficult, no?
So a few facts must be unified finally to happen this very special situation, and happened, so very happy. Just can say thank you very much all the organization, all the people who came here support me year by year, all the people who make possible this tournament. Is fantastic because probably is one of the best organizations of the world.

Q. In what time during the final did you feel you were going to be the winner?
RAFAEL NADAL: With the 5 1, 40 15. That's the feeling. But when you lose seven times, when you are in Australia have 4 2, 30 15, easy backhand down the line, that stays in your mind, no? So to break this confrontation about the seven loses, you have to be very focused all the time, no?
Even with the 5 1, before the game, I didn't know if I going to win. I know I am in a very good position to win, but always with the humble, with the calm that everything can happen. :worship: :bowdown:

Q. You have a lot of reasons to be happy today. What is the biggest reason for you to be happy? The fact you beat Novak or that you won this tournament again?
RAFAEL NADAL: The first thing for me is I win Monte Carlo. The Monte Carlo is the more beautiful 1000 tournament for me. To start the clay court season winning here is amazing feeling. I said before, but this tournament is very special for me. That's the first reason.
Second reason, my level of tennis was high during the last four matches, since the second round. My level of tennis was very high. Today the first set was the higher moment during all the week, no? For that reason I must be very happy.
Sure, the last win against Novak in final after a few ones losing is for sure important result for me.

Q. You've had to withstand quite a few upsets in finals recently. How satisfying is it to beat the world No. 1 and win one of these trophies again psychologically going into the rest of the year?
RAFAEL NADAL: Sure, is important, very important break the bad (losing streak). So is important to break that situation. Is important to win the tournament another time. Especially what tournament is. Is not same one tournament than another. Break that situation, winning Masters 1000, one of my favorites, is everything perfect today.
Tomorrow will be another day practicing in Barcelona to be ready for the tournament. Very happy for that. The only thing that can give me this victory here is the positive energy to keep working hard, to keep try my best every day.
Right now just start the clay court season better than possible without losing a set. But next tournament, have a tough draw in Barcelona, a lot of good players there. Have to be ready for that. I have to try.

Q. You came into the tournament a bit worried about your knee. Do you feel totally happy with the knee now?
RAFAEL NADAL: I am very happy because my knee is not limiting me no one movement. I can run 100% of conditions. That the most important thing. I still feeling little bit. You have pain, but you feel you can run to every ball, the pain never is a problem. Today, that's the situation, and I'm very happy.

Q. Do you plan to train more light for the upcoming weeks?
RAFAEL NADAL: I plan to keep practicing like always usually. Normal practice, try to be ready for next week. Going to be important week for me. Always play in Barcelona is a special feeling. Try to have just little bit of practice tomorrow and a good practice on Tuesday and try to be ready for Wednesday.

Q. Six wins in Roland Garros, eight wins in Monte Carlo, what stands out more first? Today when you broke Djokovic five times, he never reached deuce. How do you explain this?
RAFAEL NADAL: I said before, if you want I repeat, but my serve worked well.

Q. On his serve.
RAFAEL NADAL: Okay, I didn't understand the question.
I said yesterday in the press conference that I have to return a little bit more aggressive, I have to return a little bit longer. I did. I did a very good backhand return, very long ones. After that, against his forehand, try to not opening a lot the court. When you open the court to him, against most of the players you are in a good situation, but against him not, because he's able to open you more later with the next shot.
So try to hit long, but more to the middle. Then I try to have the control of the point with my forehand. Understood that he didn't serve perfect, but when I was able to return the ball, my returns was almost every time very good, no? The few important ones very high, along with my forehand against his backhand, in the advantage position. After that I felt that I can change the directions.

Q. Yesterday you said it was a little bit too early to face Djokovic. Actually it was not too early to face him.
RAFAEL NADAL: Finally not (smiling). But that was my feeling yesterday. I am not lying you. I told you what I really feel, no? I felt that against Simon I played very long points and I felt a little bit more tired than usual because I didn't practice a lot my fitness for the last three weeks. That was my feeling.
But today I played aggressive. I had a few long rallies. But at the same time I tell you the match against Wawrinka and Simon helped me to be more fit for the next matches because play long points, your body does better.

Q. Have you made a decision if you want to play for the Davis Cup?
RAFAEL NADAL: Remain a lot of months to play the semifinals of Davis Cup. I cannot think about that having the Barcelona tournament next week.

Q. You will make the decision later?
RAFAEL NADAL: I will make a decision. My body will take the decision. I was thinking to play maybe in the second round against Austria at home, because was a great week for me to prepare the clay court season, practicing one week there with the best players. But my knee says not.
I cannot predict the future. I don't know how I gonna be after the US Open. Let's go day to day. If all the situation are the right one, hopefully I will be there. But depends on a lot of things.

http://www.monte-carlorolexmasters.com/News/Tennis/2012/Interview-Transcripts/Rafael-Nadal-Sunday.aspx

VAMOS, CAMPEON! :cheerleader: :bounce: :bigclap:

MariaV
04-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Rafa won GGL 6-1 6-2. :D Playing Robert Farah today. Vamos! :cheerleader:

MariaV
04-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Rafa beat Robert Farah 6-2 6-3. :)
Tomorrow vs Janko Tipsarevic 3rd match on Pista Central. :cheerleader:

Ben.
04-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Up and down match today but was never in any doubt. Path the trophy is Tipsy, Nando/Kei, Pics/Muzz/Feli/Raonic. Some potentially tricky matches. I feel like beating Murray in the final would be the best possible outcome.

born_on_clay
04-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Another two matches of good practise. I belive Rafa was a bit unfocused yesterday because of Real's loss on wednesday night.

MariaV
04-27-2012, 08:15 AM
Up and down match today but was never in any doubt. Path the trophy is Tipsy, Nando/Kei, Pics/Muzz/Feli/Raonic. Some potentially tricky matches. I feel like beating Murray in the final would be the best possible outcome.

Yeah, vs Murray would be a good final. Hopefully by then he'll be focused and over the tragic loss of Real Madrid in the Champions League. ;)
Short matches are good so far, like good practice sessions he'd need anyway so Barcelona is not too much of a strain physically. But he REALLY should skip Madrid or at least not try too hard there so he'd be well prepared and healthy for RG. That's where he needs to win! Of course he has so many titles already and I'm happy with his career but the loss at RG would make me very very sad. :sad:

Ben.
04-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Agreed, he should skip Madrid, but we know he will not do it :lol:

MariaV
04-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Yeah and when he loses RG to Nole he has only himself to blame. :( :o

born_on_clay
04-27-2012, 05:28 PM
I have just seen his match against Tipsy.
Really well played, especially with his backhand side. Some pretty serious flat cross court backhands. I really want to see more of those :rocker:

Ben.
04-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Yeh the BH was looking good today, can't remember when it last looked that effective. Moving and returning better too.

Naudio Spanlatine
04-27-2012, 06:42 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Nando is an easy win for Rafa:smoke:

MariaV
04-27-2012, 06:45 PM
6-2 6-2 vs Tipsarevic. I missed the end of the 2nd set but yeah, that was pretty good. Vs a mug like Tipsy doesn't say much though. Vs verdasco tomorrow, vamos! :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

MariaV
04-28-2012, 04:05 PM
6-0 6-4 vs Verdasco, only 1 h 25 min. :) Now the final vs David Ferrer tomorrow, vamos! :rocker: :cheerleader: :bounce: :bigclap:

Ben.
04-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Let's ignore the second set.... first set had some confident hitting, moved and reurned well. One more win for #48!

Naudio Spanlatine
04-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Piece of cake:smoke: :smoke:

born_on_clay
04-28-2012, 05:55 PM
so far so good
yet to drop a set on clay in 2012 :rocker:

Ben.
04-29-2012, 05:10 PM
There's number 48. A nice record to update the hall of fame thread too, born_on_clay.

He played terribly though, it must be said. The serve was absent for most of the first set and was never really clicking throughout the match. His returns were constantly short. Thus, he never settled and allowed Ferrer to get the first strike in very often, putting Rafa on the back foot constantly.

MariaV
04-29-2012, 05:27 PM
We have the 7th Barcelona title. :D 7-6 (1) 7-5, thanks to David Ferrer. ;)

We'll see how the main events vs Nole will go. :scared: :unsure: That's me constantly worrying but I'll still be cheering for Rafa all the way, VAMOSSSSSSSSSS! :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:
But now get some rest Rafa! :hug: :hug:

born_on_clay
04-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Ferru played very good today. All credits to him as well as to Rafa who was able to fight all match long.

I hope Rafa's knee is fine

Ben.
04-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Yeh, after an easy week his knee could have done without this workout. Plus Djokovic and Federer would have liked what they were seeing.

Rafa is less than 500 points behind Djokovic in the race now though. The rest of the clay season may well decide who ends the year number one.

Naudio Spanlatine
04-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Yep so true, but of course Rafa can always prove them wrong:cool:

VAMOS RAFA :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

evilmindbulgaria
04-29-2012, 06:03 PM
A tough win but still a win! Congratulations all!
Now, I think that skipping Madrid is a good idea, what about you?

Ben.
04-29-2012, 06:05 PM
A tough win but still a win! Congratulations all!
Now, I think that skipping Madrid is a good idea, what about you?

Madrid is begging to be skipped. Gives him two weeks to gear up for Rome, which suits his game much better and gives him more rest for RG. He isn't going to skip it though.

Naudio Spanlatine
04-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Madrid should be skipped Vamos:dance:

But we all know thats not gonna happen:o:o:o

Xristos
04-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Vamoos!

Naudio Spanlatine
04-29-2012, 06:30 PM
so far so good
yet to drop a set on clay in 2012 :rocker:

Your sigy looks pretty full there :lol:

Mimi
04-30-2012, 01:38 AM
all hail Queen Maria for bringing another title to Rafa :bowdown: :bowdown:

MariaV
04-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Thank you dear Mimi but my role in Rafa winning another title was very modest. ;) I'm glad if the positive energy from us cheering helps him though. :D :cheerleader: :bounce: :bigclap:
Now he can have some deserved rest and get ready for the serious battles ahead! :armed:

MariaV
05-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Madrid
http://gothamproductions.tv/spanish/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Localizaciones-Madrid-Skyline-615x300.jpg

And the Madrid draw
http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2012/1536/mds.pdf

Xristos
05-06-2012, 04:56 PM
WIN for Madrid please.

Foxy
05-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Win

Naudio Spanlatine
05-06-2012, 07:21 PM
I hate this blue clay, its so damn annoying:rolleyes:

anyways i hope he does well against davy.

MariaV
05-07-2012, 08:00 AM
There's some what Rafa had to say before the start of the tournament. He's not playing today yet. God I don't know what to predict. I rather wish he'd win Rome again and be ready for RG better. :)
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/05/19/Madrid-Preview-Nadal-Focused.aspx

born_on_clay
05-08-2012, 07:09 AM
I hate the blue clay :mad:
Rafa it's time to improve your negative H2H against this russian prick :angel:

MariaV
05-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Rafa vs Nikolay Davydenko not before 3.15 pm local time (3rd match). Vamos! :rocker: :bounce: :bigclap:

MariaV
05-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Rafa dismissed Nikolay Davydenko 6-2 6-2 in 1 h 20 min. He said he played better than he expected. :o :shrug: We'll see against Fernando Verdasco tomorrow, not before 3.15 pm local time. VAMOS! :rocker: :bounce: :bigclap: :cheerleader:

born_on_clay
05-09-2012, 06:56 PM
nice start :hatoff:

MariaV
05-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Rafa lost to Fernando Verdasco 3-6 6-3 5-7. :rolleyes: And he was 2 breaks up in the 3rd set I think, 4-1. No :rolleyes: :help: and :facepalm: enough, even if it's a horrible surface. :bigwave:

born_on_clay
05-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Rafa was *5-2 in the final set
This was the biggest choke of his career so far :help:

Ben.
05-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Pathetic. Who knows what he will be like after that display of mental fragility. He couldn't even get the ball over the net by the end.

Naudio Spanlatine
05-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Well i rather have Nando because i love him alot. Im sorry i really wanted Nando to win this for a long time. I mean i know im psycho crazy for saying this but its true, i wanted nando to beat Rafa in aussie open semis i mean hes one of the guys that i want to beat Rafa. Rafa played ok not his best, but give credit to Nando, he played great today. So congrats to Nando, and Rafa see you in Rome.

born_on_clay
05-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Pathetic. Who knows what he will be like after that display of mental fragility. He couldn't even get the ball over the net by the end.

It looked like he's not there anymore.
Maybe knee is bothering him ? :sad:

Ben.
05-10-2012, 07:09 PM
He never looked comfortable out there for some reason. I suspect it was the courts. Just needed to forget about it and play but we know how neurotic he is.

Mimi
05-11-2012, 01:22 AM
:banghead: :banghead:

MariaV
05-11-2012, 07:00 AM
:banghead: :banghead:

Exactly Mimi, why did he have to play Madrid in the first place? :mad: Should've got some rest after winning MC and Barcelona and finally defeating Djokovic and getting his confidence back. Let's see if he can recover / get his confidence back in Rome. :o

born_on_clay
05-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Is there anything wrong with his hip ?
Anyone got a presser ? :scared:

MariaV
05-12-2012, 03:02 PM
I think someone tweeted that Rafa felt some pressure on his hips because of the horror surface. But I don't know, anyway, here's the horror draw in Rome. Milos Raonic! :bigcry: :crying2: :sobbing:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Event-Draws.aspx?EventId=416&Year=2012 (v)

MariaV
05-12-2012, 03:07 PM
And sorry, I haven't got any pressers, asapsports not doing them and the tournament website is as horrible as the surface. :o :o At least hell have a few days break now. :)

Naudio Spanlatine
05-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Thank god this madrid tournament will be over soon, i couldnt take it anymore:facepalm:

Ben.
05-12-2012, 05:00 PM
RG as number 3 seed with back to back losses. The writing is on the wall :scared:

Naudio Spanlatine
05-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Well i dont care what ranking he is, im sure he will win that RG.

MariaV
05-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Well i dont care what ranking he is, im sure he will win that RG.

Great confidence you have.

Naudio Spanlatine
05-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Yes i know it because why should a dam ranking matter, i mean all a ranking does is make you think that you are the superior in the world, im appreciative that he achieve alot more than most youngsters.

Ben.
05-13-2012, 08:24 PM
No Raonic at least. Time to thank Flo by avenging the bad loss in Shanghai.

Naudio Spanlatine
05-13-2012, 09:35 PM
well he will of course, its red clay thats for sure.

born_on_clay
05-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Rafa vs Flo tonight during "night session" :help:

Rome and RG are must win tournaments at the moment. Rafa can't let anyone gain ranking points on him on clay again.

I have a hunch it will be a three horse race to the year end world no.1 with Rafa finishing last :mad:

MariaV
05-16-2012, 09:48 AM
I have a hunch it will be a three horse race to the year end world no.1 with Rafa finishing last :mad:

Meh and you, what a pessimist! :p
Winning Rome & RG is a must, doing well at the Wimbledon and the Olympics would be great too, whether he can win - we'll see.

Rafa's match vs Florian Mayer not before 7.30 pm local time. VAMOS! :bounce: :bigclap: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

born_on_clay
05-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Meh and you, what a pessimist! :p
Winning Rome & RG is a must, doing well at the Wimbledon and the Olympics would be great too, whether he can win - we'll see.

Rafa's match vs Florian Mayer not before 7.30 pm local time. VAMOS! :bounce: :bigclap: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

I'm rather a realist ;)
To end season as world no.1 Rafa has to outperform Nole and Roger on clay. He's not doing it so far.
We all know how Nole and Federer play on hard courts and indoors :sad:

MariaV
05-16-2012, 07:26 PM
OK, Florian Mayer beaten 6-1 7-5. The 2nd set was tough. :o :o Broke at the last minute and was able to close out the match, 1 h 21 min. Next up Marcel Granollers tomorrow. Vamos! :rocker: :bounce: :bigclap: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Ben.
05-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Didn't see the first set. Second set could have been easier but he kept making silly errors. Went 0-30 down when serving for it after a DF and a horrendous UE but managed to dig it out. Apart from that, he looked comfortable on serve from what I saw.

shawshank
05-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Granollers will be an easy match, but I'm really afraid already about Berdych and Ferrer. Rafa barely beat Ferru in BCN. He was very lucky in that match. And before he needs to beat Berdych (who might actually loose to Almagro). Anyway, even if Rafa is victorious in these 2 matches, he still needs to find energy for Nole or Fed...
Rome used to be such an easy tournament for Rafa couple of years ago... Now every round is a mystery :( Nothing is granted for him now.

Ben.
05-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Rafa vs Flo tonight during "night session" :help:

Rome and RG are must win tournaments at the moment. Rafa can't let anyone gain ranking points on him on clay again.

The race is really tight right now. Any of the three could be #1 in the race after this week. Though I don't see Rafa finishing #1 again as he just doesn't win enough titles now.

shawshank
05-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Nadal starting with 2 DF's in a row...

MariaV
05-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Granollers beaten 6-1 6-1 but boooy did it take long, 1 h 29 min.
4 DFs but 1st serve % was 79% which is very good.

Ben.
05-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Not as solid on serve today and still many poor errors. However, he was quite aggressive and spent plenty of time acutally inside the court :D

Berdych next, who was lucky to get past Almagro to be honest. I expect him to wear Berdych down pretty comfortably. Then it is almost certainly Ferru.

born_on_clay
05-17-2012, 07:37 PM
two tight sets against Berdych (I hope) :unsure:

MariaV
05-18-2012, 08:02 AM
Rafa vs Tomas Berdych not before 1.30 pm local time today. :scared: :unsure: :tape:

MariaV
05-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Rafa beat Tomas Berdych 6-4 7-5.
The semis vs David Ferrer will NOT be pretty I'm afraid. :o :tape:

Naudio Spanlatine
05-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Well it was an ok match for me not that good but ok. Rafa has alot of work to do, especially on his serve and return.

Ben.
05-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Not much to complain about today, except for the returning anyway. Was returning from the Vatican. Fed will shit all over that kind of returning.

Foxy
05-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Not much to complain about today, except for the returning anyway. Was returning from the Vatican. Fed will shit all over that kind of returning.

Fed is no longer a factor. Not on red clay for sure.

born_on_clay
05-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Nice one against Berdych :)
Two more to win here...

MariaV
05-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Rafa beat David Ferrer 7-6 (6) 6-0 but boy was that first set pathetic! :help: :help: :help:

Ben.
05-19-2012, 05:16 PM
I don't see Rafa winning the final returning like he is. Was making Ferrer look like Karlovic half the time, all while struggling through his own service games. Serving to his BH is as good as an ace.

Needs to have complete concentration like he did against Berdych.

born_on_clay
05-19-2012, 07:59 PM
another Djokovic - Nadal final :unsure:

MariaV
05-19-2012, 08:06 PM
another Djokovic - Nadal final :unsure:

I just wanted to write the same but add some :rolleyes: smiley or dunno... maybe :zzz: :yawn: or smth...

Yep hat_boy, defo not winning Nole 3.0 like this. Nole will crush him. :(

Ben.
05-19-2012, 08:35 PM
I just wanted to write the same but add some :rolleyes: smiley or dunno... maybe :zzz: :yawn: or smth...

Yep hat_boy, defo not winning Nole 3.0 like this. Nole will crush him. :(

:bigcry:

I give him a chance if he is as focused as against Berdych. Otherwise, it's probably two sets for Screech.

MariaV
05-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Nole beaten 7-5 6-3 :speakles: :hysteric: :eek: :worship: :bowdown:

On to Paris now! :rocker: :bounce: :bigclap:

Ben.
05-21-2012, 12:59 PM
YES! Two in a row! Never thought it would happen again.

Most M1000 again. And yet another event won 6 times!

Xristos
05-21-2012, 01:16 PM
YAY another win for me and Rafa!

VAMOOOS!

Mimi
05-21-2012, 01:52 PM
all hail queen Maria the great for giving rafa another trophy :woohoo: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :dance: :hearts: :dance: :bounce: :haha: