Andy Murray's major quest [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy Murray's major quest

Saberq
12-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Tennis veterans and legends give their take on Andy's chances of winning a major next year

http://www.atpchampionstour.com/news208.html

It is a good read especially from Ivanisevic given that he lost 3 GS finals too ..........

Sham Kay
12-30-2011, 03:39 PM
He'll be on match point in the US Open Final before the doomsday decides to strike early. Don't need veterans to tell us that.

Johnny Groove
12-30-2011, 03:52 PM
I wish he would just win a slam, preferably Wimbledon so the British especially will STFU about Murray not winning a slam.

But, as human nature dictates, I guarantee that once Murray wins Wimbledon, the next day, the British press will be looking for Murray to win every slam, push to hype to the max, and when he fails, they'll wonder why he can't do it and where the next British champion will come from and who he will be :rolleyes:

And they wonder why they've had no slam champs since Fred Perry in the 30's.

nalbyfan
12-30-2011, 03:58 PM
If Murray or another one wins a single GS in his career people say "Oh he probably won it by fluke" and criticize him for not winning a second one...see negative comments about Noah, Gaudio, Delpony and other who won only one GS...so maybe it's better for a player not to win a GS than to win one "by fluke". Anyway detractors are never happy with results of players they hate and nothing will never make them love X or Y, winning a GS is not a reason to love a player anyway.

Corey Feldman
12-30-2011, 04:01 PM
I wish he would just win a slam, preferably Wimbledon so the British especially will STFU about Murray not winning a slam.

its the rest of the world rather than us who go on about it

Brits dont care by now

Sham Kay
12-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Yep. I hardly read or see anything said about tennis or Murray here outside of Wimby time. The rest of the world seems to assume all Britain talks about is Murray and his elusive slam. The media barely give a toss about anything but Football.

Johnny Groove
12-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Well I guess when he has disappointed you so many times, best to focus on the football.

Sham Kay
12-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Hm hm, yeah. The footie players get our undivided attention no matter how many times they disappoint us.

Corey Feldman
12-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Well I guess when he has disappointed you so many times, best to focus on the football.how has he been a disappointment? top4 for five years and many GS Finals and semis

know its not enough for a glory hound Nadal fanboy like you but he's a player to be proud of

Lurking
12-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Hm hm, yeah. The footie players get our undivided attention no matter how many times they disappoint us.

Or any other sport, where we can get lectured by how our press hypes our athletes up.

If he wasn't British, it'd be fashionable to point how no one gives a crap about him when they aren't giving the token article about how he hasn't won a Slam yet.

Mountaindewslave
12-30-2011, 04:50 PM
how has he been a disappointment? top4 for five years and many GS Finals and semis

know its not enough for a glory hound Nadal fanboy like you but he's a player to be proud of

well they haven't had a Grand SLam champ in many many decades..... that is what they are waiting for. so of course they might naturally be dissapointed that a player from their country has been at the top for years and has just barely not managed to win one

Corey Feldman
12-30-2011, 05:11 PM
well they haven't had a Grand SLam champ in many many decades..... that is what they are waiting for. so of course they might naturally be dissapointed that a player from their country has been at the top for years and has just barely not managed to win onesame can be said for many other countries

not many slams going anywhere apart from Swiss, Spain and Yugoslavia thesedays :shrug:

Saberq
12-30-2011, 05:12 PM
same can be said for many other countries

not many slams going anywhere apart from Swiss, Spain and Yugoslavia thesedays :shrug:

actually it's Serbia mate ;)

Sham Kay
12-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Montenegro is a better name for it.

Matt01
12-30-2011, 05:47 PM
how has he been a disappointment? top4 for five years and many GS Finals and semis

Disappointed not disappointment. And yes, as I like Murray, I'm disappointed that he still hasn't won a Slam.

tektonac
12-30-2011, 05:57 PM
actually it's Serbia mate ;)

these englishmen need a geography lecture ;)

Johnny Groove
12-30-2011, 06:21 PM

Gotta win a slam man. Just one.

same can be said for many other countries

But since the 30's? I mean, come on. Even the French have Yannick Noah.

these englishmen need a geography lecture ;)

Still think they are the global hegemon :rolleyes:

Corey Feldman
12-30-2011, 06:23 PM
these englishmen need a geography lecture ;)Scottish ;)

MatchFederer
12-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Scottish ;)

Lol. Hilarious exchange.

When an initial corrector has to be corrected, you know things have gotten out of hand. It's like getting a combo on a fighter game except here it's a fail combo.

allpro
12-30-2011, 06:35 PM
grow some balls.

timafi
12-30-2011, 06:38 PM
let's hope Murray ends 2012 without a slam

tektonac
12-30-2011, 06:56 PM
Lol. Hilarious exchange.

When an initial corrector has to be corrected, you know things have gotten out of hand. It's like getting a combo on a fighter game except here it's a fail combo.

i am deeply sorry to disappoint you but my mistake was _purposeful_ :D . it was just a poke for the Yugoslavia thingy. i am very well aware of the English - Scottish delicacies.

NID
12-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Murray really is a great player. He'll bag one slam this year for sure. With the added lure of the Olympics and the way it will affect preparation of Fedalovic, Murray is going to have more chances than in the previous years.
Salmond can start planning the celebrations, MMW.

MaxPower
12-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Krajicek kinda sums up how many Murray fans have been doing for years:

"I predicted in 2011 that Murray was going to win his first Grand Slam title so I'll predict it again - he will win his first slam in 2012"

Murray fans starting to become like bad gamblers thinking that the past will earn them something eventually

maybe....but don't bet your house :smoke:

r2473
12-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Murray begins his 2012 major quest

http://quintessentialruminations.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/don-quixote.gif

Murray after another predictable 2012 major season:

http://cache2.artprintimages.com/lrg/29/2941/WRJRD00Z.jpg

SetSampras
12-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Hes been on a quest for 4 years and still slamlss

Sham Kay
12-30-2011, 11:37 PM
Krajicek kinda sums up how many Murray fans have been doing for years:

Murray fans starting to become like bad gamblers thinking that the past will earn them something eventually

maybe....but don't bet your house :smoke:

And what Murray fans are you referring to?

fmolinari2005
12-31-2011, 12:24 AM
Murray and winning a GS title: so near, so far. Being a Fed and Murray fan I see Andy's quest for his first GS title as I saw Fed's quest for his first FO title: painful but it will eventually happen.

Mae
12-31-2011, 12:36 AM
I'm still waiting on Andy, but I think due to the British Press his best chances for a Slam are at the A.O. and U.S.O. If he could get some mental toughness going, he can get a Slam. He has talent, conditioning now, but I'm still waiting for that mental toughness in Matches!

Certinfy
12-31-2011, 12:38 AM
I think it's going to happen next year. It's pretty much a game of now or never though, if he doesn't take one next year I sadly don't think he'll ever win one, but I hope that doesn't happen. :)

Gagsquet
12-31-2011, 12:49 AM
The never ending quest

Sham Kay
12-31-2011, 02:37 AM
Andy Murray shall quest till he takes an arrow in the knee.

paseo
12-31-2011, 04:21 AM
Man... from the title I thought this thread was about a video game about Murray.

Saberq
12-31-2011, 04:28 AM
Man... from the title I thought this thread was about a video game about Murray.

and the only level at which you can play it is Very Hard

Chirag
12-31-2011, 05:04 AM
Its this year or never really

RafaNadal2012!!!
12-31-2011, 05:39 AM
Why do we need threads like this? Andy Murray's "year" has been every year since 2009.

"Oh that Andy Murray, he's so talented, he is for sure winning the Australian Open 2009, I mean look, he's the odd makers favorite"

"Hahahaha, you really believe a mug like Verdasco will beat Murray? Go crawl back under your rock"

"Oh Murray will for sure win Wimbledon, he's playing Roddick in the semis"

"Oh Murray would never lose to a mug like Cilic"

"2010 is his year, a major guaranteed, he's just too talented"

"He roasted Rafa, and has a good H2H vs Roger, surely he'll win the Aussie Open"

"Andy is finally ready to get this burden off his back and win Wimbledon, I mean Rafa was having knee problems this tournament and got taken to 5 in 2R and 3R"

"Wawrinka? Who's that? Murray will thrash him!"

"2011, a new year, a Matured Murray, the moment has finally arrived"

"Easy draw? no Murray is just too good" "FINALLY NO ROGER OR RAFA!!!!, surely Djokovic is no match for Murray in this form"

"Have you seen the way Rafa has been playing lately, no confidence, Murray will thrash him and beat Djokovic to win Wimbledon"

"Hahahaha come on it's Murray on a hard court and US Open no less, there is no way Murray loses this to a hard court mug like Nadal. Cincinnati final repeat here we come!"