Your thoughts on Djokovic not receiving bye. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Your thoughts on Djokovic not receiving bye.

RafaNadal2012!!!
12-26-2011, 05:03 PM
The Mubadala World Tennis Championship in Abu Dhabi starts this Thursday. Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Ferrer, Tsonga, and Monfils and participating. Nadal and Federer were given byes to the semis and Novak Djokovic despite being ranked one will have to play Monfils to play Federer in the semis. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it is a slap in the face to Novak, given his ranking? Or the right thing to do given the career achievements of both Roger and Rafa? Either way it's an exhibition tournament and counts for nothing other than match practice.

Pirata.
12-26-2011, 05:11 PM
it's an exhibition tournament and counts for nothing other than match practice.

:)

Roger won WTF and Rafa played Davis Cup, so they've played more matches than Novak toward the end of the year.

GSMnadal
12-26-2011, 05:11 PM
http://www.tektonics.org/lp/outrage.jpg

theseth1119
12-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Two things: First is that Rafa is considered doubtful to play here because of a shoulder problem and then a virus that has limited his total practice time and he might just head to Doha. Second is that, despite being #1, it's not really a slap in the face to Djokovic and I don't think it's so much because of what Rogie and Rafa have accomplished in their careers, but rather, it's because they were the two in the finals last year (i.e. had it been say Djokovic and Rogie or Djokovic and Rafa, then they'd be the two receiving the byes).

Gabe32
12-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Definitely a slap in the face.

The guy is obviously the best player in the world at the moment and had one of the best seasons of all time. He agrees to play in your tournament, and you give him the 3rd seed and no bye? Very disrespectful.

Mateya
12-26-2011, 05:33 PM
The organizers are clueless Federer and Nadal fanboys. Nothing new here.

Djokovic could win all matches in 2011 and win 5 grand slams and he would still be 3rd seed. Pathetic, even if it's an exhibition.

alter ego
12-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Definitely a slap in the face.

The guy is obviously the best player in the world at the moment and had one of the best seasons of all time. He agrees to play in your tournament, and you give him the 3rd seed and no bye? Very disrespectful.

Are you for real? considering that Djokovic is the only top ten player who will not play an ATP tournament before AO, it is pretty likely that his own camp requested 3 matches.

DrJules
12-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Not sure receiving a bye is an advantage; Nadal and Federer will play somebody who has already played a match.

ApproachShot
12-26-2011, 07:11 PM
I am guessing that the tournament organisers approached Nadal and Federer earlier in the year and part of the terms they signed up to back then was that they would play a maximum of two matches. Under such circumstances requesting Federer to play an extra match would likely require more fees or perhaps something which Roger may not agree to if it affects his scheduling.

zlaja777
12-26-2011, 07:19 PM
http://photos.eatability.com.au/images/venues/13562377/egos-culinaria-132873.jpg

zlaja777
12-26-2011, 07:23 PM
I am guessing that the tournament organisers approached Nadal and Federer earlier in the year and part of the terms they signed up to back then was that they would play a maximum of two matches. Under such circumstances requesting Federer to play an extra match would likely require more fees or perhaps something which Roger may not agree to if it affects his scheduling.
Yes, this might just be the case. Djokovic made the deal after both of them plus it's his first time in Abu Dhabi. He wasn't really in a position to set up his own terms and I'm sure he agreed to play QF's.

HKz
12-26-2011, 07:40 PM
It is an exho, who really cares. It is all about the fans and popularity. The fact that Federer has been ATP fan favorite for what like 9 consecutive years I think shows this. Has nothing to do with ATP rankings, etc.

Ash86
12-26-2011, 07:41 PM
It's all of the above - it's an exo so no one really cares anyway; Nadal & Federer are still top billing in terms of selling tickets and it'll take more time for Djokovic to reach their level of interest in the mind of the average tennis-goer; and it probably works out for the best for all parties as Novak isn't playing any other Aus Open warm ups so more matches is good for him whereas Nadal & Fed are both playing Doha too so this is just for the money for them.

It'd look less incongruous if they'd just not had any seedings - looks strange that 2 and 3 have byes but no. 1 doesn't so far easier to just have no seedings and set out the draw. As for the organisers being Nadal & Fed fanboys - I think it's more that money talks and they are still a much bigger draw than Novak is. If you're an avid tennis follower you'd rather see a Novak/Fed or Novak/Rafa match-up rather than a Fed/Rafa match as the latter is the most predictable (even taking into account last year's trend...) but if you're a TV exec or tournament organiser you'll always go for Fed/Rafa as it generates the most interest rightly or wrongly.

At the end of the day Novak will be getting a huge cheque and I doubt he cares at all about his no.1 status not getting enough respect!

Johnny Groove
12-26-2011, 08:03 PM
2012 drama starting already in 2011.

This tennis year is wide open.

Gabe32
12-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Are you for real? considering that Djokovic is the only top ten player who will not play an ATP tournament before AO, it is pretty likely that his own camp requested 3 matches.

...do you have any proof that that is the case, or are you just saying things? Nowhere in the thread does it say what you have just said.

Obviously if this is the case, it is not a slap in the face to Djokovic. But it seems like this tournament is just being biased based on ticket sales (which is their prerogative since it is an exhibition, but it is still lame).

Nathaliia
12-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Nole attracts more crowds and needs to play an extra match to collect $$$ for the organizers ;)

Looner
12-26-2011, 09:30 PM
They pay them millions just to show up. Djokovic did not even play here last year. It's their money so they can do whatever they want with it. I'd prefer Fed over Djoko any day.

BigJohn
12-26-2011, 10:07 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo:

It's a conspiracy!!!

:woohoo: :woohoo:

Topspindoctor
12-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Nadal and Federer are legends. They deserve a BYE.

Saberq
12-27-2011, 12:15 AM
Nadal and Federer are legends. They deserve a BYE.

I dont care that Novak has to play an extra match but your statement has no logic to be honest

Topspindoctor
12-27-2011, 12:17 AM
I dont care that Novak has to play an extra match but your statement has no logic to be honest

How so? Winning many slams takes a great of effort and Nadal and Olderer did it. Djoker may join them in the future, but he needs 4-5 more slams to be considered a legend.

rutinos harcos
12-27-2011, 12:24 AM
Yes, this might just be the case. Djokovic made the deal after both of them plus it's his first time in Abu Dhabi. He wasn't really in a position to set up his own terms and I'm sure he agreed to play QF's.
It's totally irrelevant.

Yolita
12-27-2011, 12:41 AM
Whos cares? It's Abu Dhabi! An exhibition! The organisers are entitled to organise their event as they see fit.

I'm interested to see how Novak will play the event mentally, if he beats Gael and faces Roger.

Will he play below his level to make Roger cocky and overconfident?

Will he play his best tennis to frighten Roger even more, by saving MPs, for instance?

I wonder... I very much wonder. :devil:

MIMIC
12-27-2011, 12:48 AM
Fed and Nadal are still ranked No. 1. and No. 2 respectively in most people's minds. Why else would they stay glued in opposite sides of the draw (and put Djoker in Fed's half) in every last slam? Even the tard commentators acknowledged how they had to resist the urge to refer to Fed as the number one-ranked player :stupid:

Djoker just has to do it the hard way, like he's been doing all year. He knows it. It just makes his victories that much sweeter.

Saberq
12-27-2011, 12:54 AM
How so? Winning many slams takes a great of effort and Nadal and Olderer did it. Djoker may join them in the future, but he needs 4-5 more slams to be considered a legend.

hell by that logic let's put Fed at number 1 seed for every tournament .....I dont see why they get a bye that's all ....It's not an important event....Although I agree with you that Novak needs more Slams to be considered a legend

theseth1119
12-27-2011, 01:24 AM
Point well taken, in fact the last time it wasn't Rogie/Djokovic and Rafa/Mugray on each side in a grand slam was the 2010 French Open, the pairings there for the SF were to be Rogie-Mugray and Rafa-Djokovic. Before the 2010 FO, the last time it wasn't the usual SF pairings was 2009 Wimbledon (only b/c Rafa didn't play here, but it was set up the usual way too), so the last real time other than 2010 FO was the 2008 French Open (Rafa, Djokovic, Mugray on one side and Rogie alone on the other), but this was 3 1/2 years ago before they were The Big 4.

theseth1119
12-27-2011, 01:36 AM
On another note, there's two possibilities for the 2012 AO. The one that's NOT a possibility is Djokovic-Rafa and Rogie-Mugray. So that leaves, the USUAL Djokovic-Rogie and Rafa-Mugray, or Djokovic-Mugray and Rafa-Rogie. Rogie and Rafa haven't been on the same half since the 2005 FO (meet in that SF) to the best of my knowledge. That's a 6 1/2 year span plus with them on opposite ends of the GS draws.

Chirag
12-27-2011, 02:25 AM
Its an exho and most likely he himself wanted 3 matches

paseo
12-27-2011, 02:46 AM
Even in exhibitions they put Djokovic and Fed in the same half of the draw.

Chirag
12-27-2011, 02:52 AM
Even in exhibitions they put Djokovic and Fed in the same half of the draw.

well duh Nadal didnt want to play him this early :p

coonster14
12-27-2011, 03:53 AM
It's only an exho, so no big deal for Nole! Besides it would be nice to finally watch Nole vs. Roger in an exho for once. :)

Mountaindewslave
12-27-2011, 04:00 AM
too many variables to know for sure.

who knows if Nadal and Federer signed contracts and demanded that they gets BYES long ago...

who knows if the Exhibition tournament expected someone to play the tournament but a player or two opted out so they were forced to give byes to the SEMI's Fed and Nadal.

Maybe Djokovic asked for it. Maybe Djokovic agreed to play at the tournament at a late date and they had to throw him in there without a bye. there are lots of possibilities and it is hard to know.

either way not a big deal being just an exo, interesting for sure, but unless Djokovic states in an interview "I have been treated unfairly considering my status" (which he has too much class to say anyway), you shouldn't really worry about it

Mystique
12-27-2011, 05:27 AM
:rolleyes:
Its an exho
And Djokovic was a late entrant and the top seeds had already been decided by then

Time Violation
12-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Nole needs matches, so I think it's actually a good thing. Though it's an exo in the end, so doesn't really matter

tripwires
12-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Wow I thought this was a serious thread. Then I came in and saw that it's only about an exho.

atennisfan
12-27-2011, 10:17 AM

This.

arm
12-27-2011, 10:50 AM
I am sure Nole lost his sleep over this. :zzz: :lol:

arm
12-27-2011, 10:55 AM

Glad you stil have that and this seeding thing to hold on to. :hug:

nalbyfan
12-27-2011, 12:21 PM
All those guys who complain all the time about the lenght of the season and start the year playing an exh....what a bunch of greedy people !!

misty1
12-27-2011, 12:23 PM
personally dont think its a big deal. I really dont get the point of byes in the first place

Smiling Buddha
12-27-2011, 12:30 PM
According to Wikipedia, Fedal were given byes because they were 2011's finalists.

MIMIC
12-27-2011, 04:02 PM
According to Wikipedia, Fedal were given byes because they were 2011's finalists.

Errrr....Soderling was a finalist in 2010 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Capitala_World_Tennis_Championship_%E2%80%93_ Singles) and did not receive a bye in 2011 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Mubadala_World_Tennis_Championship_%28January %29_%E2%80%93_Singles).

Matt01
12-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Who cares? It's Abu Dhabi

All those guys who complain all the time about the lenght of the season and start the year playing an exh....what a bunch of greedy people !!

+1

EnriqueIG8
12-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Who cares? Every word being spent on this discussion is meaningless.

So I'm going to stop here

helvet empire
12-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Sensible decision. Truth is the public doesn't care about djokovic.

When number one, there was a kind of polite but embarassing silence when he was playing, people wondering why this guy was number one and not fed or nadal.:D

people might as well watch a wall play against shelves and they would find that equally enjoyable:sad:

henke007
12-28-2011, 11:22 AM
The schedule is way to rough ;)

Egreen
12-28-2011, 01:49 PM
He couldn't care less.

Yolita
12-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Sensible decision. Truth is the public doesn't care about djokovic.

When number one, there was a kind of polite but embarassing silence when he was playing, people wondering why this guy was number one and not fed or nadal.:D

people might as well watch a wall play against shelves and they would find that equally enjoyable:sad:
:haha: :haha: :haha:
I'm sure this will come as a surprise to you, but not everybody thinks the same, not everybody has the same tastes as you do. What you wonder is not what everybody wonders. What you find enjoyable or not enjoyable, is not shared by everybody. ;)
Having said that, it's an exhibition tournament. The organisers can do whatever they want. Who cares? :D