Poll: Proposed Rule Change - Make net hits consistent [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Poll: Proposed Rule Change - Make net hits consistent

masterclass
12-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Proposed Rule Change in Professional Tennis:

Currently, a ball that hits the net during the service but still legally hits inside the service box is played as a let service (start the service over again). However, a ball that hits the net during normal play after the service does not result in a let point. Should the rules change to treat service and normal play net hits equally? If so, how should they change? Should both types of hits not result in a let, or should both types of hits result in a let?

Please give your opinion of why you believe a particular change should be made or not and its affect on the game.

-masterclass

Certinfy
12-26-2011, 02:33 PM
I remember Peter Fleming talking about this and how they should just screw the let rule with the serve. Would make the game a little more interesting I guess too...

Saberq
12-26-2011, 03:06 PM
I agree with you

abraxas21
12-26-2011, 03:22 PM
screw the let thing when serving

would make the game more dynamic and more interesting

Saberq
12-26-2011, 03:37 PM
screw the let thing when serving

would make the game more dynamic and more interesting

Imagine reactions when some mug hit's a let on a break point and it falls in :D

abraxas21
12-26-2011, 03:48 PM
on second thought, abolishing the let rule on serve would put the server at disadvantage.

maybe it would be better to keep things as they currently are...

paseo
12-26-2011, 03:50 PM
I prefer it the way it is. Bad proposal.

masterclass
12-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Some things to think about (please offer anything additional thoughts):

I think the good news is that this rule change would have little or no affect on historical records.
This gives it a higher chance of being implemented.

1. Call a let during normal play or service (play stops immediately):
Pros: Players won't be using up energy rushing, changing direction, making off-balanced or mis-timed shots and risking injury. Players won't need to "apologize" for hitting the net and winning a "cheap" point. Players won't lose points because of a ball that hits the net and is not returnable.
Cons: Still need a net judge or machine. Allowing more lets during normal play will result in slower overall play.

2. Have no let calls in service or normal play (play continues):
Pros: Don't need a net judge or machine. No disputes of whether the machine is accurately calibrated (sometimes a machine seems to register air displacement rather than actual contact). It could make the service more exciting. Players will have to play a service that hits the net. Generally will speed up play.
Cons: More "cheap" points and "apologies".

Pro or Con (depends on your point of view): More aces. New statistic - a net ace - when the ball is not returnable on serve because of the net. A serve that hits the net and is a sitting duck will favor the returner, a serve that hits the net and drops over or significantly changes direction will favor the server. A serve that barely touches the net, not significantly changing the flight of the ball, will result in more aces and service winners than before. Therefore, a good case can be made that this rule change will generally favor the server.

3. No change:
Pros: Players and fans don't have to learn a new rule.
Cons: Still need a net judge or machine. Players still get "cheap" points during normal play. Play is slower.

Pro or Con (depends on your point of view): Same old rules and play.

EddieNero
12-26-2011, 04:03 PM
It should stay how it is. People are forgetting you serve from a privileged position, nowadays it's more like smashing from the baseline. It would be slightly unfair to take away the let rule, because a serve with a changed trajectory is almost unreturnable.

Dougie
12-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Imagine reactions when some mug hit's a let on a break point and it falls in :D

How would that be different to a mug hitting the netcord with his return on a break point and getting the break that way..?

I think the good news is that this rule change would have little or no affect on historical records.

Pros: Players won't be using up energy rushing, changing direction, making off-balanced or mis-timed shots and risking injury. Players won't need to "apologize" for hitting the net and winning a "cheap" point. Players won't lose points because of a ball that hits the net and is not returnable.
Cons: Still need a net judge or machine. Allowing more lets during normal play will result in slower overall play.

Pros: Don't need a net judge or machine. No disputes of whether the machine is accurately calibrated (sometimes a machine seems to register air displacement rather than actual contact). It could make the service more exciting. Players will have to play a service that hits the net. Generally will speed up play.

Pro or Con (depends on your point of view): More aces. New statistic - a net ace - when the ball is not returnable on serve because of the net. A serve that hits the net and is a sitting duck will favor the returner, a serve that hits the net and drops over or significantly changes direction will favor the server. A serve that barely touches the net, not significantly changing the flight of the ball, will result in more aces and service winners than before. Therefore, a good case can be made that this rule change will generally favor the server.

3. No change:
Cons: Still need a net judge or machine. Players still get "cheap" points during normal play. Play is slower.

Are you seriously suggesting that players are risking injuries because of shots that bounce off the letcord?? Come on, the game is fast anyway, there ar plenty of reactionary shots and changes of direction anyway. These guys are professional athletes, rushing the net and hitting off-balanced shots is part of the job.
As for the apologising, itīs just an old habit, a polite gesture to show your hand or wave the racquet a bit. Itīs not a pro or a con, players do that also when they hit an unintentional winner, or get a lucky bounce from the frame of the racquet.

HKz
12-26-2011, 04:31 PM
No.

3. No change:

Rofl..

Johnny Groove
12-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Yes, those service let cords make the game so much longer, those extra 7 seconds, man, I could build Versailles in that time!

Seriously, though, don't change anything. They've already done this in NCAA tennis, and it is the dumbest rule in history. It is basically change for the sake of change at the expense of massive amounts of luck and cheapness. I've watched tennis matches in college be decided by a break point save on a 2nd serve that hits the net and dribbles over. The other guy smashed his racquet he was so pissed, and I couldn't blame him.

Imagine if this rule is instituted and decided match point in the finals of a grand slam. There would be anarchy.

HKz
12-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Yes, those service let cords make the game so much longer, those extra 7 seconds, man, I could build Versailles in that time!

Seriously, though, don't change anything. They've already done this in NCAA tennis, and it is the dumbest rule in history. It is basically change for the sake of change at the expense of massive amounts of luck and cheapness. I've watched tennis matches in college be decided by a break point save on a 2nd serve that hits the net and dribbles over. The other guy smashed his racquet he was so pissed, and I couldn't blame him.

Imagine if this rule is instituted and decided match point in the finals of a grand slam. There would be anarchy.

Well if you look at it that way, it is no difference than hitting a lucky return that also dribbles off the net.

I think the main reasoning is that the system isn't broken to begin with so why change it. At least gets each and every point to at least start out for the most part elegantly.

masterclass
12-26-2011, 05:12 PM
How would that be different to a mug hitting the netcord with his return on a break point and getting the break that way..?

Are you seriously suggesting that players are risking injuries because of shots that bounce off the letcord?? Come on, the game is fast anyway, there ar plenty of reactionary shots and changes of direction anyway. These guys are professional athletes, rushing the net and hitting off-balanced shots is part of the job.
As for the apologising, itīs just an old habit, a polite gesture to show your hand or wave the racquet a bit. Itīs not a pro or a con, players do that also when they hit an unintentional winner, or get a lucky bounce from the frame of the racquet.

Yes, of course, rushing the net and hitting off-balanced shots is part of the job, but surely this would add even more of that type of play, and logically would tend to increase injuries vs. not having to play the shot at all. Whether that increase in risk is acceptable or not, because "these guys are professional athletes", is a different question. Perhaps the increase in excitement the play would generate would outweigh the increased risk of injury.

> Apologizing... I guess it depends on one's point of view. Players are normally halfheartedly apologizing because the net helped determine the outcome, but I would say that most are still quite happy they won the point. So if the net can no longer help determine the outcome, than that means there is one less reason for making a halfhearted apology. That is a small plus to me.

I welcome suggestions of other more significant pros or cons.

-masterclass

masterclass
12-26-2011, 05:30 PM

:) Mind you, I have made no recommendations one way or another. I'm purely interested in other people's opinions and reasoning, especially regarding the inconsistency of calling lets on service but not during normal play. Especially because if one argues as to the cheapness of getting points on service, then it seems that similar logic should hold for normal play.

So I'm curious as to how people react to option 1. which is calling a let during normal play (as well as on service) and replaying the point so that players don't win cheap points during normal play.

I was hoping someone would bring up the NCAA tennis usage. Thanks Groove:)

-masterclass

Al_Loves_Tennis
12-26-2011, 06:03 PM
No change. Things are fine the way they are. If I'm serving and it hits the tape, I WANT another crack at it! I don't think this rule slows the game down too much. Why does tennis need to be played faster anyway?

masterclass
12-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Interesting article regarding merits of no let calls (option 2) is here (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/29/sports/tennis/us-open-2011-debating-the-merits-of-the-let.html).

I haven't seen any articles yet discussing option 1 - calling lets during normal play (as well as service).

-masterclass

Gabe32
12-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Interesting. I am not sure, to be honest. I've never thought of it that way. Why is a net cord allowed in a rally but not during a serve??

I guess I'll stay with the "it's not broken, so don't fix it philosophy." If they changed it now, I think too many people would just be confused and forget the ball was live (both the server and the receiver).

Mateya
12-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Well if you look at it that way, it is no difference than hitting a lucky return that also dribbles off the net.

Hmmmmm...

If you ever played competetive tennis you will know that hitting a let serve is way more frequent than hitting a return let. If you have a good serve and often hit it just milimeters over the net, let cords will happen quite often. :)

In my mug carrer for example, I would hit some 10 let serves before 1 let return. Let returns are very rare in fact...unless you have a great day :devil:
Or just look at the pro matches - you see a let serve almost every service game, sometimes even 2 in a row (or 3 in a row in extereme cases), while let returns happen only a few times.
:wavey:

Dougie
12-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Hmmmmm...

If you ever played competetive tennis you will know that hitting a let serve is way more frequent than hitting a return let. If you have a good serve and often hit it just milimeters over the net, let cords will happen quite often. :)

In my mug carrer for example, I would hit some 10 let serves before 1 let return. Let returns are very rare in fact...unless you have a great day :devil:
Or just look at the pro matches - you see a let serve almost every service game, sometimes even 2 in a row (or 3 in a row in extereme cases), while let returns happen only a few times.
:wavey:

Thatīs true, but not all let serves would end up in favor of the server, some of them would bounce high and be sitting ducks for the returner to take a swing at.

Arakasi
12-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Thatīs true, but not all let serves would end up in favor of the server, some of them would bounce high and be sitting ducks for the returner to take a swing at.

It doesn't matter which player benefits, the luck factor still increases dramatically. Making serve lets playable would be incredibly stupid.

Also, lets hit during a point are usually a lot easier to track down since players are already in motion. When you're in the return position it's almost impossible to get to a ball even if it lands halfway up the service box.

scarecrows
12-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Iīve played a junior tournament in 1999 with the no let rule and it sucked, so no thanks

leng jai
12-27-2011, 01:26 AM
Just get rid of the net altogether. Its just in the way.

Orka_n
12-27-2011, 02:42 AM
The pros hit a LOT of let serves, and a fast ball that's skimming off the net makes it even harder for the returning player to get it back. I say keep the rules as they are.