Top 100 by better FH or BH [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Top 100 by better FH or BH

Synesthetic
12-23-2011, 05:28 AM
It's useful from a tactics/matchups point of view to know whether one's forehand or backhand is the stronger side, so just for some fun I went through the top 100 attempting to classify them in terms of whether each player's forehand or backhand is better. If anyone's interested feel free to discuss / point out any you disagree with (as admittedly I've hardly watched a few of the lower-ranked players) - there are definitely some contentious ones!

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/3812/top25.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/513/top25.png/)
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/4928/top50.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/809/top50.png/)
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1701/top75.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/208/top75.png/)
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/8127/top100s.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/top100s.png/)

changes
volandri->bh

DTL
12-23-2011, 05:50 AM
I feel that Simon has a better forehand. Baghdatis *definitely* has a better forehand. Interesting list, overall. What is the number of stronger forehand versus backhands?

HKz
12-23-2011, 05:52 AM
I feel that Simon has a better forehand. Baghdatis *definitely* has a better forehand. Interesting list, overall. What is the number of stronger forehand versus backhands?

What? Both Simon and Baghdatis have better backhands than forehands. Just because they can pop their forehand hard when they want to doesn't necessarily make that particular side their better wing.

DTL
12-23-2011, 05:53 AM
What? Both Simon and Baghdatis have better backhands than forehands. Just because they can pop their forehand hard when they want to doesn't necessarily make that particular side their better wing.

Simon is debatable. Completely disagree about Baggy. His backhand is steady, but in no way better than his forehand.

While wikipedia is no authority :), the author seems to agree with me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcos_Baghdatis

Playing style
Baghdatis' playing style is relaxed and smooth. His main strength is his powerful forehand and a natural talent for placement. He can make accurate and powerful down-the-line forehands and cross-court forehands on the run and often patiently constructs points to get in a position from where he can make outright winners with those shots. He also has one of the best backhands in the game, especially his two-handed backhand down the line.

bishi
12-23-2011, 05:58 AM
nalbandian at 64? wtf

HKz
12-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Simon is debatable. Completely disagree about Baggy. His backhand is steady, but in no way better than his forehand.

Baggy's DTL backhand says otherwise. He hits that shot so cleanly and flat. It makes Nalbandian's look average.

DTL
12-23-2011, 06:04 AM
Baggy's DTL backhand says otherwise. He hits that shot so cleanly and flat. It makes Nalbandian's look average.

Again, completely disagree. Nalbandian's backhand is a couple of levels above Baggy's. Not even close.

HKz
12-23-2011, 07:03 AM
Again, completely disagree. Nalbandian's backhand is a couple of levels above Baggy's. Not even close.

It was a gem in 2006 especially at Australia and Wimbledon.

leng jai
12-23-2011, 07:10 AM
Forehand dominant as expected.

Berdych has a better backhand.

RafaForever
12-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Nice. :D

Though I feel serve should also be incorporated.For example, Federer has a great serve with which he sets up the point and then unleashes his equally lethal forehand. Cant say the same for Rafa though except for that 95mph wide out serve :facepalm:

feuselino
12-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Nice list. Since you thought about matchups, maybe you can include who is a lefty and who not? Changes the whole thing, I think...

SUPERBOLE FAN
12-23-2011, 09:06 AM
Volandri=forehand :lol:

backhand is by far his best shot.

Gillouthe best
12-23-2011, 09:22 AM
I think that Almagro has a better FH at the moment, while his BH appears at times, his Fh is more consistent.

orangehat
12-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Llodra should be neither FH nor BH :lol:, just volley :rolls:

While hardly a better shot per se, without that hard to handle backhand slice Cipolla will be nowhere near top 300 :lol:

andreevforehand
12-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Nice, I pretty much agree with most of these. Would definitely go with Simon and Baghdadis on bh, their forehands are both too flat with too little margin for error. I haven't seen Volandri too many times, but I have definitely seen him spray some backhands. I can see some room for debate with both Hanescu and Almagro. Hanescu's bh doesn't seem like anything special, but then again neither does his fh. And Almagro can hit spectacular backhands, but also hits quite a few unforced errors on that side.

Game.Petzschner
12-23-2011, 10:41 AM
roddick=serve

samanosuke
12-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Cilic does not have better BH than FH

leng jai
12-23-2011, 10:53 AM
I hope he does, because his forehand is awful.

samanosuke
12-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Then you understand why is he ahead of time

Synesthetic
12-23-2011, 11:04 AM
What is the number of stronger forehand versus backhands?
Roughly 70% : 30%.

Baghdatis' FH is a weapon but considerably more inconsistent, meanwhile he has a great BH especially DTL as has been mentioned.

While when on his FH is the big weapon, I'm inclined to agree when I think of his 3rd set TB vs Djokovic at London recently :o

Though I feel serve should also be incorporated.For example, Federer has a great serve with which he sets up the point and then unleashes his equally lethal forehand. Cant say the same for Rafa though except for that 95mph wide out serve :facepalm:
I guess the serve is a different aspect again. Though I noticed that most big servers seem to favour their forehand - Fish and Ljubicic are a couple of exceptions.

Nice list. Since you thought about matchups, maybe you can include who is a lefty and who not? Changes the whole thing, I think...
That's a good point, although I was thinking most of us know who the lefties are :p I can include it though.

Volandri=forehand :lol:

backhand is by far his best shot.
Yeah I actually wasn't sure - you'd know better than me, I've never followed Volandri closely. It just seemed to me that his BH can land short during rallies sometimes compared to his FH.

I think that Almagro has a better FH at the moment, while his BH appears at times, his Fh is more consistent.
I can see some room for debate with both Hanescu and Almagro. Hanescu's bh doesn't seem like anything special, but then again neither does his fh. And Almagro can hit spectacular backhands, but also hits quite a few unforced errors on that side.
Almagro was a hard one...he has weapons on both sides and there's not much disparity between the offensive potential he has on either side. In the end I guess the BH is more flashy, he can hit exceptional shots from that wing. I haven't really noticed a lack of consistency on the BH relative to the FH though, in fact I think he moves better to the backhand side. As for Hanescu to me his BH seems better and a more natural shot than his FH.

Llodra should be neither FH nor BH :lol:, just volley :rolls:
I was thinking along similar lines when I came to him :lol:

Synesthetic
12-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Cilic does not have better BH than FH
Well his FH is perhaps more dangerous, but also can be highly inconsistent which is the main reason I think his BH is better overall.

I think Cilic himself says his backhand is his best shot, going by the notes in his profile on the ATP website...
(Edit: that comment is gone :confused: but it's on other websites)

JurajCrane
12-23-2011, 11:41 AM

That is so wrong opinion. Try to study his game better.

Saberq
12-23-2011, 11:45 AM
I hope he does, because his forehand is awful.

:worship::worship::worship:

Certinfy
12-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Berdych's forehand is better. Just it's much more prone to going AWOL (good example being last 20 minutes vs Djokovic in London or so).

leng jai
12-23-2011, 11:50 AM
That is so wrong opinion. Try to study his game better.

Okay master.

Chirag
12-23-2011, 12:44 PM
nice work and as expected forehand dominates

rocketassist
12-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Simon's better shot is definitely the forehand.

Puschkin
12-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Interesting. The Frenchies have a 50-50 distribution, while almost all the Spaniards have a stronger FH.

Synesthetic
12-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Berdych's forehand is better. Just it's much more prone to going AWOL (good example being last 20 minutes vs Djokovic in London or so).

Berdych probably has the best backhand out of the big hitters Tsonga, Soderling, Del Potro.

Simon's FH is better offensively but more likely to break down - watching him recently (albeit in bad form) it's forehand errors everywhere. I think it's because his FH is more reliant on timing - he has to swing quickly through contact point to increase racquet head speed since given his physical build he can't produce much natural power. IMO in the context of his defensive game, his backhand is the better shot - more reliable, absorbs and redirects shots with natural ease on that side.

Synesthetic
12-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Interesting. The Frenchies have a 50-50 distribution, while almost all the Spaniards have a stronger FH.

I noticed that too with the Spanish players, bar Almagro who has a good FH anyway - it seems to be similar for the Argentines, except for Nalbandian. Definitely a clay court mentality phenomenon, fast court players such as Lopez aside. Good point about the French! Obviously Gasquet, but also Benneteau, Mannarino and Paire have good backhands. Meanwhile you have Monfils and Tsonga etc with strong forehands.

Another observation is that players using Babolat racquets such as Nadal, Tsonga and Roddick tend to have stronger forehands, while some players using Head racquets such as Djokovic, Murray, Gasquet and Wawrinka have stronger backhands :lol:

Gabe32
12-25-2011, 01:17 AM
I don't know if I agree with some of the one handed backhands. Pretty much every one with a one handed backhand you have as having a better backhand.

Synesthetic
12-25-2011, 01:39 AM
Which ones specifically do you disagree with?

From a rough count, of the 26 players with one-handed backhands I only have 12 of them as having a better backhand than forehand. There are plenty of one-handers with stronger forehands - Federer, Lopez, Robredo, Montanes, Karlovic, Blake, Berlocq, Dimitrov, etc.

Gabe32
12-25-2011, 02:56 AM
I don't know, Simon is pretty even off both wings. I don't think Almagro is too dangerous off his BH side. Ljubicic is better with his BH for sure? I haven't watched too many of his matches.

VolandriFan
12-25-2011, 10:51 AM
The jury is still out on Lopez.

leng jai
12-25-2011, 10:55 AM
I don't know, Simon is pretty even off both wings. I don't think Almagro is too dangerous off his BH side. Ljubicic is better with his BH for sure? I haven't watched too many of his matches.

Ljuba Truba's backhand is far superior - his forehand is awful. Almagro definitely has a better backhand as well.

Gillouthe best
12-25-2011, 11:24 AM

Simon has a better backhand, while his FH can be flashy his backhand is really consistent, and he controlls both the attack with his jumping BH and defense. Also he can counterpunch good on his Bh

*bunny*
12-27-2011, 07:08 AM
Nice work. Thanx.

Interestingly, Brad Gilbert thinks Nishikori's BH is better than his FH.

Synesthetic
12-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Yeah that's right :) I remember BG at the exho in Adelaide early this year doing some courtside commentary and raving about how good Nishikori's BH is :lol:

Kei himself still says it's his forehand that is better though from what I've read, so I had to go with that in the end; the FH has always seemed to be his natural strength. IIRC he once featured in a Deuce article in which he says he's always been blessed with a powerful forehand.

Synesthetic
12-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Ljuba Truba's backhand is far superior - his forehand is awful.

Yeah Ljubicic is definitely backhand - his forehand is loopy and generally unreliable.

I commented on Simon and Almagro on the previous page.

romismak
12-29-2011, 05:45 PM
I think that from those guys with 1-handed BH, many of them has better FH, because 1handed BH is i think little bit of liability this days. Everyone is playing strong groundstrokes, also can play topspin and those BH are in disadvantage simply. There are some exceptions like Gasquet or Youzhny but mostly players with 1handed-BH have definitely better FH wing. Maybe it looks good so you think their BH is better but no way guys like Almagro or Kohli have better BH wing. Generally FH is dominant wing for many players, because it is more natural to hit the ball on that side, while on BH it is not so natural shot, either 1h, or 2h BH. BTW i think those guys with good BH are great on return, simply as that FH is generally good, but if you have good BH wing too, you can return well from both sides, i think this is key why Nole or Murray are great returners, because their BH wing is such weapon.Also deffensive players have naturally better BH, because they just need to have 2 strong wings, while agressive players generally have better FH wing, because FH is more natural and also quicker for attacking.

ciprianned
12-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Stakhovsky backhand ? :\

Certinfy
12-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Stakhovsky backhand ? :\
What's wrong there? His backhand is far better than his forehand.

Dougie
12-29-2011, 07:32 PM
The jury is still out on Lopez.

I think Lopez´s backhand has improved quite a lot, and he uses topspin way more than he used to, but his forehand is still far better. Far more powerful and versatile.

ciprianned
12-30-2011, 12:20 PM
What's wrong there? His backhand is far better than his forehand.
ok , sorry , my bad :)