Respect , or lack thereof [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Respect , or lack thereof

masterclass
12-17-2011, 12:02 PM
As a relatively new poster in this forum, I have to say that I'm disappointed by the frequent disparaging comments towards players and other posters, made by many fans (i.e. fanatics) who mostly portray things in black and white. I've tried to ignore these comments, but it is so pervasive, that I could no longer linger in apathetic stupor. There is a great lack of respect toward players that are not their particular favorites, or towards posters who have favorites other than their own. I'm astonished by labeling like "mugs" (and worse), derogatory warping of player names, belittling of achievements, and praising failures. It's normal to have favorites and to admire them accordingly, but it's almost sick how some feel compelled to denigrate the other players or particular performances in an apparent misguided effort to give their favorite a boost.

Do people realize how difficult it is to make it to the level of top 100 (or even 500) players in the world? Try to imagine yourself as a player trying to be competitive at this level. No player in any sport can be at their best in every performance, though most try to give it their best effort, otherwise they would not be at this level. Try to consider the feelings of a player who might at times read comments in this forum. Please attempt to show more respect and appreciate those that are deserving of better. Let's applaud and recognize players who perform well and commiserate with those players (and their supporters) that are having a bad time of it. Try to make posts more constructive and less destructive. Let's elevate our comments in this forum, as a good player raises their game when the going gets tough. By respecting others, one usually earns respect in return.

I applaud those in this forum who do show and have respect toward players and posters.
Many in this forum have welcomed me, expressed their kindness toward me, encouraged me, and I appreciate it.
This is the first thread I've started, I hope it won't be the last!

And to all, I wish you an enjoyable New Year in 2012 watching the best tennis players in the world!

Best regards,
masterclass

samanosuke
12-17-2011, 12:03 PM
this thread has a bright future

Seingeist
12-17-2011, 12:09 PM
As a relatively new poster in this forum, I have to say that I'm disappointed by the frequent disparaging comments towards players and other posters, made by many fans (i.e. fanatics) who mostly portray things in black and white. I've tried to ignore these comments, but it is so pervasive, that I could no longer linger in apathetic stupor. There is a great lack of respect toward players that are not their particular favorites, or towards posters who have favorites other than their own. I'm astonished by labeling like "mugs" (and worse), derogatory warping of player names, belittling of achievements, and praising failures. It's normal to have favorites and to admire them accordingly, but it's almost sick how some feel compelled to denigrate the other players or particular performances in an apparent misguided effort to give their favorite a boost.

Do people realize how difficult it is to make it to the level of top 100 (or even 500) players in the world? Try to imagine yourself as a player trying to be competitive at this level. No player in any sport can be at their best in every performance, though most try to give it their best effort, otherwise they would not be at this level. Try to consider the feelings of a player who might at times read comments in this forum. Please attempt to show more respect and appreciate those that are deserving of better. Let's applaud and recognize players who perform well and commiserate with those players (and their supporters) that are having a bad time of it. Try to make posts more constructive and less destructive. Let's elevate our comments in this forum, as a good player raises their game when the going gets tough. By respecting others, one usually earns respect in return.

I applaud those in this forum who do show and have respect toward players and posters.
Many in this forum have welcomed me, expressed their kindness toward me, encouraged me, and I appreciate it.

And to all, I wish you an enjoyable New Year in 2012 watching the best tennis players in the world!

Best regards,
masterclass

This is right, of course, and is the reason that I do not bother reading or posting in GM anymore.

gaitare
12-17-2011, 12:37 PM
You've got to register at http://www.elitemenstennisforums.com/, we're just the sewage collection system of that site and some are proud of it.

Anyway, welcome here, and feel free to up the level of MTF, it will be appreciated but make sure you have valium at your disposal during your MTF sessions.

Saberq
12-17-2011, 12:38 PM
goat thread

hicdick
12-17-2011, 01:12 PM

Best regards,
masterclass

good post in wrong forum. all the best, i hope you won't lose your sanity here.

Stronga23
12-17-2011, 01:18 PM
No one on this forum other than a select few have respect for Gael but it doesnt bother me because they just dont get La Monf's personality.

Johnny Groove
12-17-2011, 01:34 PM
If I were you, masterclass, I would not come to MTF looking for respectful comments towards player or other posters :lol: That's like looking in a septic tank and hoping to find diamonds :lol:

I do hope you enjoy your stay here, though.

tennis2tennis
12-17-2011, 01:39 PM
http://benparr.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/lolcat-boring-story.jpg

just kidding...but remember sooner or later you'll fall in the dark side....most of us join this forum with the hope of having a lively and intellectual debate about tennis but somewhere along the line we get sucked in to the bitch fest that is MTF lingo and thinking...

tripwires
12-17-2011, 01:54 PM
You are so new. I love your idealism. :hearts:

Seriously though, it's just the way this forum is. I used to get pissed off at Federer haters who call him a mug and whatever else but I've learned to laugh at it and the posters who make those posts. I mostly succeed but sometimes I get caught up in the bitching too - not my finest moment, I admit.

This place isn't the place to go for intellectual/serious/actual tennis discussion. But you do get sane posters every now and then. I hope you stay sane - MTF needs people like you. Just ignore the clowns. ;)

Sunset of Age
12-17-2011, 02:02 PM
I highly appreciate your effort to call for some sanity on this forum, masterclass, but feel you're fighting for a lost cause. There are unfortunately a lot of trolls and overzealous biased fanboys (it's often hard to tell the difference between those) around over here, making it barely possible to ever have a serious discussion about tennis that lasts longer than page 1 of any thread started. Best to ignore them, but I do agree it's quite difficult at times. Good luck with that, and I hope you'll stay around! :)

If I were you, masterclass, I would not come to MTF looking for respectful comments towards player or other posters :lol: That's like looking in a septic tank and hoping to find diamonds :lol:

:spit: True, though.

masterclass
12-17-2011, 03:32 PM
tl;dr

Abridged version:
Never insult a tennis player, or for that matter, anyone else about their ability or level of performance.
Either their ability is better than yours will ever hope to be, or their ability might eventually surpass yours.
Respecting others makes one worthy of respect in return. Happy New Year. - masterclass

I do hope you enjoy your stay here, though.

septic tank...diamonds :haha: good one, Groove.
But I'm an eternal optimist; always hoping that something of value can rise to the top given some encouragement.
Regards, masterclass

...make sure you have valium at your disposal during your MTF sessions...
Ha. But I think valium would only sink me into depression or into Groove's septic tank :) - masterclass

...I love your idealism... ...you'll fall in the dark side... ...lose your sanity......fighting for a lost cause...
Hmm,well one always has hope that things have a chance to be better if one makes the effort. Surely if one does not make the effort, one can't expect things to get better. Sadly, apathy among a reasonable group of people is what can lead an inept group to rule and lead all to misery. Thanks for your support. - masterclass

...have respect for Gael... A wonderful, dynamic player. What athleticism. When healthy, one of the fastest players on tour. Really fun to watch when he is flying around the court.

Regards, masterclass

nole_no1
12-17-2011, 03:34 PM
This is how things go on MTF
You'll get used to it quick you'll see :lol:

Naudio Spanlatine
12-17-2011, 03:35 PM
No one on this forum other than a select few have respect for Gael but it doesnt bother me because they just dont get La Monf's personality.

Lyndon where have you been:inlove: :devil: :hug:

EddieNero
12-17-2011, 05:10 PM
You're so boring with your idealism, dude. Get back to earth and face the reality.

Pirata.
12-17-2011, 06:29 PM
just kidding...but remember sooner or later you'll fall in the dark side....most of us join this forum with the hope of having a lively and intellectual debate about tennis but somewhere along the line we get sucked in to the bitch fest that is MTF lingo and thinking...

This happened to me :lol:

masterclass
12-17-2011, 07:04 PM
You're so boring with your idealism, dude. Get back to earth and face the reality.

This is from the same person who brought us this revelation:

69' wasn't even in the Open Era.

---------

I'll share a quote from Victor Hugo that reflects my perception:

"The human soul has still greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist; it is by the ideal that we live.
Now, do you wish to realize the difference? Animals exist, man lives.

To live, is to understand. To live, is to smile at the present, to look toward posterity over the wall. To live, is to have in one’s self a balance, and to weigh in it the good and evil. To live, is to have justice, truth, reason, devotion, probity, sincerity, common-sense, right, and duty nailed to the heart. To live, is to know what one is worth, what one can do and should do."

Regards,
masterclass

Jenrios
12-17-2011, 07:16 PM
:bigclap:

gaitare
12-17-2011, 07:23 PM
This is from the same person who brought us this revelation:

---------

I'll share a quote from Victor Hugo that reflects my perception:

"The human soul has still greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist; it is by the ideal that we live.
Now, do you wish to realize the difference? Animals exist, man lives.

To live, is to understand. To live, is to smile at the present, to look toward posterity over the wall. To live, is to have in one’s self a balance, and to weigh in it the good and evil. To live, is to have justice, truth, reason, devotion, probity, sincerity, common-sense, right, and duty nailed to the heart. To live, is to know what one is worth, what one can do and should do."

Regards,
masterclass

You are my ex-girlfriend and your name starts wirh A?

masterclass
12-17-2011, 07:28 PM
You are my ex-girlfriend and your name starts wirh A?

LOL, no. Male - J. Sorry to disappoint you ;)

Regards,
masterclass

gaitare
12-17-2011, 07:33 PM
LOL, no. Male - J. Sorry to disappoint you ;)

Regards,
masterclass

In fact, I am not overly disappointed.

Saberq
12-17-2011, 07:48 PM
embrace the dark side ............

Sham Kay
12-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Agreed, you are correct. Kudos for bringing it up. There has recently been a sudden surge of decent posters, all we have to do is nurture them so their behaviour doesn't get corrupted like most of the rest of these guys. Fight the good fight, mate. Let me know if you need any help.

allpro
12-17-2011, 08:16 PM
As a relatively new poster in this forum, I have to say that I'm disappointed by the frequent disparaging comments towards players and other posters, made by many fans (i.e. fanatics) who mostly portray things in black and white. I've tried to ignore these comments, but it is so pervasive, that I could no longer linger in apathetic stupor.

:eek::eek::bigclap:

Gagsquet
12-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Masterclass is all class. He is absolutely right but he needs to know that the use of the word mug in an humorous or facepalming context for instance is forgivable in my opinion.

Matt01
12-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Masterclass :yeah:

Don't let your innocent mind be corrupted by the eville souls of MTF. Stay strong :hug:

masterclass
12-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Masterclass is all class. He is absolutely right but he needs to know that the use of the word mug in an humorous or facepalming context for instance is forgivable in my opinion.

No worries Grassquet. Use in a non-offensive, humorous context is certainly not objectionable to most reasonable people. :) Thanks for pointing out this distinction.

Regards,
masterclass

leng jai
12-17-2011, 10:01 PM
To be honest the ATP is a collaboration of the world's biggest clowns and they deserve all the criticism they get from thd scholars on MTF.

n8
12-17-2011, 10:10 PM
My advise, masterclass, is to not fight it. Some posters may change for a little in response to your thread, but before long their old habits will likely resurface. Your best bet is to realise that a lot of their phrasing is not really attacks on individual players, but bait for other posters. Also, a lot of their posts are very funny and some of this would be lost if they clean up their act.

Another thing you can do is start to recognise distasteful posters and skip over their posts when you see their username or avatar.

Please keep posting and remain true to your values. Even though I'm fine with almost all types of posters, it's good to have a balance.

MatchFederer
12-17-2011, 10:17 PM
My advise, masterclass, is to not fight it. Some posters may change for a little in response to your thread, but before long their old habits will likely resurface. Your best bet is to realise that a lot of their phrasing is not really attacks on individual players, but bait for other posters. Also, a lot of their posts are very funny and some of this would be lost if they clean up their act.

Another thing you can do is start to recognise distasteful posters and skip over their posts when you see their username or avatar.

Please keep posting and remain true to your values. Even though I'm fine with almost all types of posters, it's good to have a balance.

Who is the attractive woman in your avatar??

samanosuke
12-17-2011, 10:22 PM
this thread is actually much more respectable than i think it will be

Sunset of Age
12-17-2011, 10:27 PM
this thread is actually much more respectable than i think it will be

A positive surprise so far I daresay. :)

leng jai
12-17-2011, 10:28 PM

:zzz:

Sunset of Age
12-17-2011, 10:37 PM
:zzz:

:ras: :ras: :ras:

Yolita
12-18-2011, 12:45 AM
...but remember sooner or later you'll fall in the dark side....most of us join this forum with the hope of having a lively and intellectual debate about tennis but somewhere along the line we get sucked in to the bitch fest that is MTF lingo and thinking...

Yes. Sad but true. I started posting long, thoughtful posts... It seems like an eternity ago. :)

But I think there's room for everything. It would be nice to have intellectual, respectful discussions about tennis. But sometimes the atmosphere here is great for a laugh. Nothing wrong with that. :devil:

Edda
12-18-2011, 02:29 AM
I agree. I don't like posts that belittle players' skills. Some have attitudes I find repulsive, but their skills as players are good. I don't like the disparging twists on players' names, either. If I dislike a certain player's attitude, I still will use his or her proper name. Certain behaviors, such as racquet smashing and umpire berating, turn me off. I also hate commentators who pontificate on what they would do if they were that player, when said player achieved more than that commentator ever did as a player. They may have been good, but not great.

emotion
12-18-2011, 02:58 AM
I love how somehow 90% on this forum thinks 90% of this forum are horrible posters

Edda
12-18-2011, 03:04 AM
It takes a long time to be ranked anywhere and I respect that, but sometimes I think the commentators go too far the other way, championing a much lower ranked player at the expense of the established one, sometimes making deragatory remarks about the latter. It is almost as if they're saying about the low ranked player, "Oh look how good that guy is getting that ball over the net." It's actually quite patronizing and insulting, if you think about it. I hate commentators who blatantly suck up to low ranked opponents, saying that everything they do is marvelous, when it really isn't. Anyone can be beaten on any day, but the great ones have consistency. Some players are ranked low because of a precipitous fall in the rankings following injuries or plain lousy results.

Respect and rankings are earned, both in their rise and fall. I could think of a number of players whose lousy results and attitudes caused a well-earned plummet in the rankings. It's funny how rankings can rise and fall dramatically in some cases on the strength of one good match, and how some people can stay in the top rankings despite mediocre results throughout the year.

I understand the need for respect and using people's proper names fully. I have heard insulting takeoffs on players' names from television commentators. That kind of behavior is really uncalled for.

tektonac
12-18-2011, 03:16 AM
mug thread :haha:

no, seriously you are right.

paseo
12-18-2011, 03:34 AM
http://www.thirdoptionmen.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/serious.jpg

Kat_YYZ
12-18-2011, 04:00 AM

agree with all of this (esp bolded part). Also, you can have good tennis discussions here with some of the forum members; in time you will identify them. Also, sometimes even the smart posters like to troll a little, or play along -- for fun :devil:

welcome :hug:

HKz
12-18-2011, 05:44 AM
Welcome to MTF.

Sri
12-18-2011, 07:17 AM

Best regards,
masterclass
Your favorite player is a mug, obviously.

masterclass
12-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Your favorite player is a mug, obviously.

Awww Sri, if you've read my posts, you would notice that I don't show favoritism, but if I did, I'd put you at the top of the list. :angel:

Regards,
masterclass

Sri
12-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Awww Sri, if you've read my posts, you would notice that I don't show favoritism, but if I did, I'd put you at the top of the list. :angel:

Regards,
masterclass
I would be your favorite player? :-?

masterclass
12-18-2011, 08:41 AM
I would be your favorite player? :-?

In this context, definitely. :angel:

tennis2tennis
12-18-2011, 08:45 AM

Regards,
masterclass

seriously dude you're creeping me out...start the way you mean to go, believe me, you won't keep it up...it's like trying not to overeat during the holidays or trying not to get that awful song you loath stuck in your head IT CAN'T BE DONE

It'll take a couple of shitty remarks and annoying attempts at sarcasm for you to fall with the rest us you'll find the moral high ground a very lonely place round here...

allpro
12-18-2011, 09:06 AM
:rolleyes:

buzz
12-18-2011, 09:34 AM
I feel that if you respect others and post with reasonably arguments you are going to be treated with respect in most threads on this forum. Maybe not on some threads like the piggy roasting thread or in the middle of a Federer defeated/lost to Nadal with some bagels thread. But that doesn't bother me, just don't post there.

As for lack of respect to tennis players. Proffesional tennis players dedictate their time to perfecting their tennis. Must be hard for them to read clownfils or clownga fatdave burgerdhatis etc. But thats what you get with such a big sport, fans and media, without those they would earn a lot less money.

ossie
12-18-2011, 10:29 AM

Best regards,
masterclasswelcome to the internet

masterclass
12-18-2011, 10:34 AM
seriously dude you're creeping me out...start the way you mean to go, believe me, you won't keep it up...it's like trying not to overeat during the holidays or trying not to get that awful song you loath stuck in your head IT CAN'T BE DONE

It'll take a couple of shitty remarks and annoying attempts at sarcasm for you to fall with the rest us you'll find the moral high ground a very lonely place round here...

No worries tennis2. :) See Grassquet's comment above... I interpreted Sri's post as humorous (looking at his devilish grin :devil: beneath his post) and I returned in kind (angelically :angel:). However, I see that humor in its different forms can be easily misinterpreted (especially if one is not good at it :)), so I'll generally avoid doing so in the future.

Regards,
masterclass

masterclass
12-18-2011, 11:07 AM
I feel that if you respect others and post with reasonably arguments you are going to be treated with respect in most threads on this forum. Maybe not on some threads like the piggy roasting thread or in the middle of a Federer defeated/lost to Nadal with some bagels thread. But that doesn't bother me, just don't post there.
Agreed.

As for lack of respect to tennis players. Proffesional tennis players dedictate their time to perfecting their tennis. Must be hard for them to read clownfils or clownga fatdave burgerdhatis etc. But thats what you get with such a big sport, fans and media, without those they would earn a lot less money.
Sad, but true. But one can still make an attempt to raise discourse to a higher level.
Via various correspondence I've received (I won't say from whom), I'm already encouraged that the original post has made a positive impact and will continue to do so.:)

Regards,
masterclass

Fuser59
12-18-2011, 12:01 PM
http://benparr.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/lolcat-boring-story.jpg

There you said it!!! Resistance is futile...

Sham Kay
12-18-2011, 12:56 PM
The craziness in this place is exaggerated. I've had plenty of lively friendly Tennis chat with forumers. There are inevitably spats, it's a competitive sport with competitively opinionated fans, which makes things entertaining until a few forumers go OTT with it, but again, all good fun.

It's alot better than those extremely friendly player forum websites. Everyone agreeing with each other.. positive smilies at all times.. No arguments.. fanboys and fangirls showing their love for the only player they ever talk about.. it makes me sick.

Gagsquet
12-18-2011, 01:01 PM
It's alot better than those extremely friendly player forum websites. Everyone agreeing with each other.. positive smilies at all times.. No arguments.. fanboys and fangirls showing their love for the only player they ever talk about.. it makes me sick.

I'm part of this. MTF is my vaccine. Anyway, they don't like me there, I don't spread enough love.

Sri
12-19-2011, 06:24 AM
Welcome to PoliticalyCorrectMensTennisForums.com

http://5.mshcdn.com/wp-content/gallery/10-funniest-gif-trends-of-2011/tumblr_left6jQebn1qf8yek.gif

Chirag
12-19-2011, 07:10 AM
I like masterclass .I hope you stay like this :worship::worship: