The signal to "wait" during serve [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The signal to "wait" during serve

stewietennis
12-16-2011, 11:46 PM
When a receiving player holds his hand up for a "wait", is the server obligated to wait? Is it a rule, like, if he asks the server to wait and the server serves anyway, will the umpire instruct a replay or penalise the server? Has there been a match where the receiver asked the server to wait and the server serves anyway?

Certinfy
12-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Every time I've seen the receiver ask to wait and the server still serve the umpire has always replayed the point.

Sunset of Age
12-17-2011, 12:01 AM
As far as I know, in the official rules it says that it's the server who decides the pace. The fact that most often servers oblige to the reciever's request to wait is no more than courtacy.
What's happening on court nowadays is rather the opposite. Perhaps just another shifting of the goal posts when it comes to enforcing the rules...?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not sure about this.

Kat_YYZ
12-17-2011, 12:28 AM
These days we need a signal that the receiver can use to get the server to hurry up :p

http://th284.photobucket.com/albums/ll33/crankyfan/th_smiley-fingertap-gigi.gif

viruzzz
12-17-2011, 01:57 AM
http://latbloggen.se/images/artist/mchammer_xl.jpg

STOP!!!!

Hammer time!

feuselino
12-17-2011, 08:36 AM
These days we need a signal that the receiver can use to get the server to hurry up :p

Yeah, something like looking bored at their watch or yawning... ;)

MIMIC
12-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Yeah, something like looking bored at their watch or yawning... ;)

Federer did it to Djokovic this year at the Australian Open. He got out of his returning stance and just stared at him :haha: Djoker apologized though :cool:

Sunset of Age
12-17-2011, 01:30 PM

How about just going down to your chair and sit down for a while?
Agassi did something like this in what would be his last match at Wimbledon against Nadal in 2006... :o :D