Better Volley: Federer, Tsonga or Hewitt? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Better Volley: Federer, Tsonga or Hewitt?

Forehander
12-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Which of the three player have the best volley? Which one have better feel or touch at the net? Are their volleying style similar?

I personally choose Tsonga. His touch at the net is easily one of the best I've ever seen. Simply a natural.

leng jai
12-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Hewitt.

Hewitt =Legend
12-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Tsonga's volleys are actually pretty overrated, sure he can pull off some spectacular shots but the technique isn't the purest that's for sure.

Hewitt has sexy volleys when he decides to come in twice a match.

stanch
12-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Oh, c'mon, despite not loving Fed at all I must admit that his volleying skills are the best of the three. Tsonga? Hewitt? Please...

Forehander
12-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Tsonga's volleys are actually pretty overrated, sure he can pull off some spectacular shots but the technique isn't the purest that's for sure.

Hewitt has sexy volleys when he decides to come in twice a match.

It's true his technique isn't the best but I do believe he's got the best natural touch out of the three, which to a certain extent cover up his lack of technique at times. If all three of them were to become serve and volley players, I believe Tsonga will have the best net skill.

Forehander
12-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Oh, c'mon, despite not loving Fed at all I must admit that his volleying skills are the best of the three. Tsonga? Hewitt? Please...

Despite not loving Hewitt at all I must admit his volleying skills are brilliant, deserves to be compared to Federer in the department. It's unfortunate he doesn't have the firepower to back up his great net skills.

Hewitt =Legend
12-15-2011, 01:41 PM
It's true his technique isn't the best but I do believe he's got the best natural touch out of the three, which to a certain extent cover up his lack of technique at times. If all three of them were to become serve and volley players, I believe Tsonga will have the best net skill.

He's got soft hands, I'm not denying that but he drags a lot of easy routine volleys into the net. In terms of overall pure volleying aesthetics, I give the nod to Hewitt although Fed is not far behind. The amount of times Lleyton comes in behind crappy short approaches and still pulls out the winning volley gives him the edge IMO.

HKz
12-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Out of the three, I think it is quite obvious Federer has the best combination of good hands and technique. Between Tsonga and Hewitt, it is a tough call. Hewitt has solid volleys and it is good enough most of the time. Tsonga has a great backhand volley and great touch, however, his forehand volley has caused him a lot of headaches in the past.

I'll still go with Federer >> Tsonga > Hewitt

Sapeod
12-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Federer, by far. Stupid question, really.

Hewitt had a solid net game and Tsonga is very good at the net. I can't say who's better between those two, but it's very obvious that Federer is better than both of them.

Sapeod
12-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Despite not loving Hewitt at all I must admit his volleying skills are brilliant, deserves to be compared to Federer in the department. It's unfortunate he doesn't have the firepower to back up his great net skills.
No, you can't compare Hewitt's volleys to Federer's. That's ridiculous. Hewitt had good volleys, but this is Federer we're talking about.

Naudio Spanlatine
12-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Federer was always a better volleyer than those two, i mean think about it, why dont you put him against Lopez, Llodra, Stepanek or some other great volleyers, dont get me wrong tsonga and hewitt were great volleyers too but fed against them is a big mistake Fed owns them in every category.

Sham Kay
12-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Federer can net 30 volleys a match and still look too technically sexy doing so to not be the best out of these three.

Sunset of Age
12-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Out of the three, I think it is quite obvious Federer has the best combination of good hands and technique. Between Tsonga and Hewitt, it is a tough call. Hewitt has solid volleys and it is good enough most of the time. Tsonga has a great backhand volley and great touch, however, his forehand volley has caused him a lot of headaches in the past.

I'll still go with Federer >> Tsonga > Hewitt

Have to agree on the whole, with the note that it may not be 'fair' to judge between Hewitt and Tsonga at this moment of time, as Hewitt is obviously past his best, whereas Tsonga is obviously at his best nowadays... let's just say that I was in awe at his miraculous volleys in the past couple of tournaments he played, and if he keeps up that level, he might well be capable of having me :drool: more often than Hewitt ever did.

Federer can net 30 volleys a match and still look too technically sexy doing so to not be the best out of these three.

:lol: - well at least Fed still tries at all, despite the massive number of :facepalm: attempts at times.

Slice Winner
12-15-2011, 07:54 PM
I was watching some Fed vs Tipsy from 2008 Aus Open, and I have to say that Fed of late 2011 has been performing very well at net, not dumping many easy volleys. Whether or not it`s Annacone`s general influence or just better form, who knows.

Haelfix
12-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Federer by far, and its not really close. Amusingly, he typically makes most of the really hard volleys look easy, but might net a few easy ones, often on the forehand side and its usually laziness related. But he just has a lot of variety, and can hit every type of volley as well as having some of the best hands in modern tennis history. Obviously he was a better volleyer earlier in his career, and the skills atrophied a bit as he got older.

Hewitt has excellent and really soft hands, but alas he was born several inches too small. Tsonga also has excellent technique and feel, but then I don't know, he often doesn't get enough angle on his punch volleys and can make the wrong volleying decisions (in fact I would say its his decision making that is the biggest problem, moreso than his form or execution)

leng jai
12-15-2011, 10:27 PM
No, you can't compare Hewitt's volleys to Federer's. That's ridiculous. Hewitt had good volleys, but this is Federer we're talking about.

Whats your point? Being Federer means nothing in an argument, you actually have to back statements up with reasons.

Hewitt has superior technical ability at the net. His main problem is he doesn't have a big enough baseline game to come in against. Watch some of his doubles matches and you'll see, the guy is a genius at the net.

Tsonga is clearly the weakest of the three, unless you are talking about drop volleys.

Haelfix
12-15-2011, 10:48 PM
Hewitt has superior technical ability at the net. His main problem is he doesn't have a big enough baseline game to come in against. Watch some of his doubles matches and you'll see, the guy is a genius at the net.

Hewitt doesn't have Federers punch volleys, nor was he ever a serve and volleyer and it does show. Roger is equally dangerous in doubles as well and its there that you can really see the extent of his net game.

I completely agree that Lleyton has really nice touch and feel at the net, but lets be honest, small guys just dont have the coverage.

The fact that Tsonga has long arms, should make him really difficult to pass, but for some reason it doesn't, and thats one of the things I hold against him.

MatchFederer
12-16-2011, 12:58 AM
I don't think this is clear-cut, they can all volley.

I'd say that Federer 1/2 a > over Hewitt who is 1/2 a > Tsonga.

Topspindoctor
12-16-2011, 01:06 AM
Hewitt doesn't have Federers punch volleys, nor was he ever a serve and volleyer and it does show. Roger is equally dangerous in doubles as well and its there that you can really see the extent of his net game.

I completely agree that Lleyton has really nice touch and feel at the net, but lets be honest, small guys just dont have the coverage.

The fact that Tsonga has long arms, should make him really difficult to pass, but for some reason it doesn't, and thats one of the things I hold against him.

Hewitt's serve sucks, so obviously he couldn't S&V.

fast_clay
12-16-2011, 01:28 AM
those voting hewitt actually know the game

guga2120
12-16-2011, 03:35 AM
Hewitt

Forehander
12-16-2011, 07:17 AM
those voting hewitt actually know the game

It's not like the others are absolutely terrible

EddieNero
12-16-2011, 04:02 PM
I hope Hewitt's name in this thread can be explained by the fact that an Aussie actually created this topic. Otherwise I will laugh the shit out of myself.

Sapeod
12-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Whats your point? Being Federer means nothing in an argument, you actually have to back statements up with reasons.

Tsonga is clearly the weakest of the three, unless you are talking about drop volleys.
It doesn't matter if I'm using the "it's Federer" argument, because that's the truth. Federer's volleys were astounding in quality back in his prime. Although they aren't as good nowadays, they are still great. He managed to beat Sampras at serve and volley in 2001 (Sampras was on the downslide though, but it's still an incredible achievement and Sampras was still the best serve and volleyer around then). Hewitt? Yeah, his volleys were great, but not on Federer's level. No matter what argument I use, the answer is going to be Federer anyway.

Sophocles
12-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Federer by far, and its not really close. Amusingly, he typically makes most of the really hard volleys look easy, but might net a few easy ones, often on the forehand side and its usually laziness related. But he just has a lot of variety, and can hit every type of volley as well as having some of the best hands in modern tennis history. Obviously he was a better volleyer earlier in his career, and the skills atrophied a bit as he got older.

Hewitt has excellent and really soft hands, but alas he was born several inches too small. Tsonga also has excellent technique and feel, but then I don't know, he often doesn't get enough angle on his punch volleys and can make the wrong volleying decisions (in fact I would say its his decision making that is the biggest problem, moreso than his form or execution)

End of thread.

Hewitt is a far better volleyer than he is generally given credit for, but some of you are going too far the other way in an attempt to look like cognoscenti. Tsonga's touch volleys can be incredible and his punch volleys seem to be improving, but he's too inconsistent from match to match.

thrust
12-16-2011, 06:09 PM

I AGREE. No contest really, Fed is far better than the other two or just about anyone in today's game.

Lucilla
12-16-2011, 06:11 PM
I like Federer best

hicdick
12-16-2011, 06:47 PM
federer > hewitt > tsonga

tsonga is well overrated.

nole_no1
12-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Tsonga? :spit:

Hewitt is not bad at all but Federer is just better

Gagsquet
12-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Tsonga's volley :lol: Can't believe he is in the discussion.
Federer's volleying ability is far superior to Hewitt for sure.
But you forgot someone obviously :cool:

Among players in activity, I think Federer and Gasquet have the best volleying skills.

leng jai
12-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Gasquet is better than Tsonga but far behind the likes Llodra, Stepanek and Haas.

I wouldn't expect many people to really appreciate Hewitt's volleying, he hasn't been any good for half a decade now and rarely plays doubles.

sexybeast
12-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Gasquet is better than Tsonga but far behind the likes Llodra, Stepanek and Haas.

I wouldn't expect many people to really appreciate Hewitt's volleying, he hasn't been any good for half a decade now and rarely plays doubles.

Omg, I knew Haas would be mentioned somewhere. You are such a tard, Haas is not top 10 in volleying and get over it, Federer is actually better than your loverboy in every department except topspin backhand.

tektonac
12-17-2011, 01:04 AM
one would conclude Haas was some kind of a legend just by reading this thread :lol:

Slice Winner
12-17-2011, 02:42 AM
End of thread.

Hewitt is a far better volleyer than he is generally given credit for, but some of you are going too far the other way in an attempt to look like cognoscenti. Tsonga's touch volleys can be incredible and his punch volleys seem to be improving, but he's too inconsistent from match to match.

This.

leng jai
12-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Omg, I knew Haas would be mentioned somewhere. You are such a tard, Haas is not top 10 in volleying and get over it, Federer is actually better than your loverboy in every department except topspin backhand.

Amazing how insecure Fedtards are even after 16 slams. I fail to see how this post has any relevance to my post.

one would conclude Haas was some kind of a legend just by reading this thread :lol:

Haas has been what, twice in this thread? Thats the epitome of legendary right there.

alfonsojose
12-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Tsonga on a best volley poll :spit: He's not Roddick but he's that good

Forehander
12-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Tsonga well deserves to be in this poll. The guy is a natural and have brilliant hands. He may have his days off but when he's on a roll his net game is absolute lethal. During the wimbledon quarter final against Federer he made a great come back and that was largely thanks to his great serve and ability up the net, and that's one example.

Egreen
12-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Federer.

Sophocles
12-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Tsonga deserves to be in the discussion. He is inconsistent but when his volley is clicking it is lethal. Check out his WTF match against Nadal for a touch-volley masterclass.

sexybeast
12-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Amazing how insecure Fedtards are even after 16 slams. I fail to see how this post has any relevance to my post.

Well, why do you mention Haas together with great volleyers like Stepanek and Llodra? What a joke, you could have said Stepanek, Llodra and Mahut but you couldnt resist including mr sexy among the last great volleyers still alive. Same thing in another thread about the greatest slice of all time, somehow Haas' avarage slices was mentioned and I really dont know how that could be, must be a serious boner you get watching him play. Love is blind to faults, right?

Sapeod
12-20-2011, 06:34 PM

Haas has been what, twice in this thread? Thats the epitome of legendary right there.
Haas does not deserve to be included with players like Llodra when it comes to volleying.

Naudio Spanlatine
12-20-2011, 06:37 PM
What about Taylor Dent and Tim Henman, those guys were fantastic volleyer:shrug: :worship:

Vida
12-20-2011, 06:39 PM
I know I never saw henman shank as many volleys as did federer.

henman > fed.

sexybeast
12-20-2011, 06:42 PM
I know I never saw henman shank as many volleys as did federer.

henman > fed.

Yes, absolutely. Henman was still not as good as Rafter and Sampras in his time. Llodra might be as good as Henman when it comes to volleys.

MatchFederer
12-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Well, why do you mention Haas together with great volleyers like Stepanek and Llodra? What a joke, you could have said Stepanek, Llodra and Mahut but you couldnt resist including mr sexy among the last great volleyers still alive. Same thing in another thread about the greatest slice of all time, somehow Haas' avarage slices was mentioned and I really dont know how that could be, must be a serious boner you get watching him play. Love is blind to faults, right?

LOL.

Too much truth, hurting my brain.

bokehlicious
12-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Federer out the three, though Rafa has the best volley overall.

Vida
12-20-2011, 06:54 PM
truth be told, rafa was never awkward in approaching the net, as fed was.

Naudio Spanlatine
12-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Federer out the three, though Rafa has the best volley overall.

Thanks goodness someone else agrees:worship: :hearts:

I was gonna say Rafa too but of course i dont wanna stir up too much drama.:lol:

Yes he really is, ive seen his matches and he was always confident going to the net, i never seen him back off away from volleying, he always wanted to try and give it a go, i still believe hes a fantastic volleyer, he so perfect with his fh and IMO his bh too, most volleyers depend on their bh volleys more than their fh because they dont feel so comfortable, Rafa is one of the only guys that does so well with the fh volleys:worship: :bowdown:

Vida
12-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks goodness someone else agrees:worship: :hearts:

I was gonna say Rafa too but of course i dont wanna stir up too much drama.:lol:

Yes he really is, ive seen his matches and he was always confident going to the net, i never seen him back off away from volleying, he always wanted to try and give it a go, i still believe hes a fantastic volleyer, he so perfect with his fh and IMO his bh too, most volleyers depend on their bh volleys more than their fh because they dont feel so comfortable, Rafa is one of the only guys that does so well with the fh volleys:worship: :bowdown:

so true.

federer, while being an accomplished volleyer, always tried too hard, always going beyond his comfort zone.

but thats the problem with many baseliners today.

Slice Winner
12-20-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm guessing the last few posters have had too much eggnog :lol:

Please let's leave the Rafa / Roger volley debate to the OTHER thread. (And it's not really a debate...)

Egreen
12-20-2011, 07:25 PM
:lol:

bokehlicious
12-20-2011, 07:36 PM

Djokovic is up there too, surely amongst the greatest volleys the game has seen ;)

Vida
12-20-2011, 07:37 PM
in terms of quality of technique, there is room for debate of course, but there is no dilemma that out of these players it is only TSONGA who is natural at the net.

a unique player, especially in this day and age :shrug:

Vida
12-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Djokovic is up there too, surely amongst the greatest volleys the game has seen ;)

djokovic? he is solid. not great, but solid.

you are wrong.

Naudio Spanlatine
12-20-2011, 08:39 PM
I'm guessing the last few posters have had too much eggnog :lol:

Please let's leave the Rafa / Roger volley debate to the OTHER thread. (And it's not really a debate...)
Were not having a rafa and roger volley debate, we were mostly talking about rafas volleying:confused:

Look i didnt say that Roger is not a great volleyer i said that rafa is a great volleyer and is very good on both sides, i also said most guys dont have so much confidence on their fh volleys. And i do agree with Vida as great of a volleyer Fed is, he does still look like he is trying way too hard, i mean if you dont agree that rafa is a great volleyer than thats your opinion, but from what i saw, hes one of the best volleyers in my book along with fed and some other players:shrug:

so true.

federer, while being an accomplished volleyer, always tried too hard, always going beyond his comfort zone.

I agree with this, sometimes i dont like have Fed always thinks he knows it all and trys to volley like hes so perfect, but he has his flaws too jus like most people who volley has.

I also agree that most baseliners need to either practice more on their volleys or play some dubs to work on their volleying skills. They need to volley more often instead of jus being baseliners in the whole match

Nole is great too but the problem is that both nole and andy murray sometime clown a little too much, i mean they are both great volleyers. I do have to agree with Vida on Nole being a solid volleyer.

Naudio Spanlatine
12-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Marcel is also a great dubs player too, and his volleying skills is jus effortless as well:worship: :bowdown:

Hes improved so much on his singles game and really was the stand out in the second half of the season:hearts: :cheerleader:

Orka_n
12-20-2011, 09:08 PM
truth be told, rafa was never awkward in approaching the net, as fed was.:lol:

samanosuke
12-20-2011, 09:09 PM
:facepalm: :facepalm:

I would rather watch Fed netting every single volley than Nadal making winners . The guy beat Sampras and won Wimby title with serving and volleying and comparison with nadal or djokovic is kindly say retarded,even for mtf standards

Naudio Spanlatine
12-20-2011, 09:14 PM

:facepalm: :facepalm:

I would rather watch Fed netting every single volley than Nadal making winners . The guy beat Sampras and won Wimby title with serving and volleying and comparison with nadal or djokovic is kindly say retarded,even for mtf standards
Well believe it or not guys Rafa and Nole and Andy are great volleyers end of story:shrug:

Rafa was the one who led 2 sets to love in the 08 final and even tho he choked in the tiebreak, when he shouldve won the fourth set, but at least he still had the fight and determination to win it:worship:

I didnt say that Fed is a bad volleyer hes a great volleyer so is Rafa, but of course you guys hate Rafa so why both talking to you guys:o:rolleyes:

samanosuke
12-20-2011, 09:15 PM
so true.

maybe fed is trying too hard because he doesn't get to the net just on shoulder high easy ball to finish the point like nadal does and in today game to put away other kinds or volleys you have to go for more

samanosuke
12-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Rafa was the one who led 2 sets to love in the 08 final and even tho he choked in the tiebreak, when he shouldve won the fourth set, but at least he still had the fight and determination to win it:worship:

and he accomplished that with serving and volleying or chip n' charging ?

Naudio Spanlatine
12-20-2011, 09:28 PM
and he accomplished that with serving and volleying or chip n' charging ?

He had variety in the match, he didnt have to serve n volley and chip n charge the whole time in the finals. The guy has improved dramatically in that final and it shows how great of a player he truly is, that match was still til this day one of the greatest matches of all times, most people thought(including myself) thought that after rafa had his chances and that roger was back in the set and took the set, we all thought that roger had it in the back. But when i turn the tv back on(i turned off the tv because i was so angry at rafa for not taking his chances and throwing away the match) Roger was facing break point while being down serving at 7-8. Then when Rafa took the break he served it out after one deuce and when fed missed the fh it was over and rafa triumph after that victory................i was crying and screaming and go crazying, thats one of the reasons why hes my hero, the man is jus a true warrior at his best:worship: :crying2:

samanosuke
12-20-2011, 09:42 PM
you are messing winning and the way how he wins . he surely didn't win because of his volleys, he serving and volleying once per match, in the point getting to the net just on easy ball to finish the point and he isn't cheap n charging never in his life and normally that he has better net statistic than the guy who is getting to the net more often on risky balls . try to understand that in today's time wimbledon champion doesn't mean a good volleyer like 20 years ago . if nadal on today's grass beats edberg you'll say he is better volleyer than edberg . the thread isn't about how somebody's entire game suits to today grass , it's just about volleying skills and i know plenty of guys who volleying better than him

Naudio Spanlatine
12-20-2011, 09:59 PM
you are messing winning and the way how he wins . he surely didn't win because of his volleys, he serving and volleying once per match, in the point getting to the net just on easy ball to finish the point and he isn't cheap n charging never in his life and normally that he has better net statistic than the guy who is getting to the net more often on risky balls . try to understand that in today's time wimbledon champion doesn't mean a good volleyer like 20 years ago . if nadal on today's grass beats edberg you'll say he is better volleyer than edberg . the thread isn't about how somebody's entire game suits to today grass , it's just about volleying skills and i know plenty of guys who volleying better than him
Yes fed was fantastic against Pete i understand that......

Wrong. I wouldnt say that if rafa beats edberg, why would i say that?:confused: I mean all me and Vida was talking about was how Rafa also volleys very well too, i was replying to durrr and Vida about their response on rafa being a great volleyer, i didnt say anything about rafa being a better volleyer than someone else. If you would read some of my posts, it didnt really say that Rafa is a better volleyer than roger or anyone, it was stating that Rafa is great at volleying and so is Roger and Nole and Andy.:shrug:

leng jai
12-20-2011, 10:40 PM

Sorry you're so sensitive mate, you need to lighten up. Its nice you are stalking me though, feels good. Stepanek's volleys aren't as good as Llodra's either, I just mentioned 3 players that have better volleys than Tsonga. Steps isn't one of the last "great" volleys alive, get a grip. As for your criticism of Haas' average volleys he was the last guy to reach the last four of Wimbledon in recent time serving and volleying.

MatchFederer
12-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Rafa certainly isn't a great volleyer, it's a myth perpetuated by John McEnroe. He comes in on a sure thing and does create good opportunities to do that because of his uniquely heavy forehand but he mucks up a lot of volleys and rarely puts away difficult ones. His volleys are probably roughly at Djokovic's level, but very clearly behind Fed's, Tsonga's, Hewitt's.

The word great is being used way too lightly, which is unfortunate.

Nadal has a great forehand, yes. Djokovic has a great backhand, yes.

Neither of them have great volleys or even very good volleys. LOADS of players in the top 100 are significantly better volleyers.

The three folks this thread focuses on are certainly much nearer the top of the volley rankings, though I'm not sure I'd call any of them 'great' at volleying, either.

Orka_n
12-21-2011, 12:50 AM
Yes fed was fantastic against Pete i understand that......

Wrong. I wouldnt say that if rafa beats edberg, why would i say that?:confused: I mean all me and Vida was talking about was how Rafa also volleys very well too, i was replying to durrr and Vida about their response on rafa being a great volleyer, i didnt say anything about rafa being a better volleyer than someone else. If you would read some of my posts, it didnt really say that Rafa is a better volleyer than roger or anyone, it was stating that Rafa is great at volleying and so is Roger and Nole and Andy.:shrug:Federer is the best volleyer in the top 4 and it isn't even a discussion. Even Vida would admit this if he stopped trolling for one second. It has nothing to do with me disliking Rafa.

Chirag
12-21-2011, 03:34 AM
out of the three federer for sure

Chirag
12-21-2011, 03:40 AM
for nadalmyhero my question is why has nadal never tried punch volleying .Why does he drop volley only

tripwires
12-21-2011, 05:37 AM
^^He only punches when he has a clear winning shot. ;)

Hewitt =Legend
12-21-2011, 08:22 AM
can't believe this thread has gone on for 5 pages :lol:

Hewitt =Legend
12-21-2011, 08:23 AM
wait, yes I can

Chirag
12-21-2011, 08:40 AM
^^He only punches when he has a clear winning shot. ;)
ummm actually no he doesnt ;)He barely punch volleys

Forehander
12-21-2011, 09:31 AM
LoL somehow Nadal, Djokovic and other players creeped into this thread... the question was simple, which one out of the three on the poll listed you think is the best. There's a reason why I only included Tsonga, Federer and Hewitt, it's because they have to a certain extent a natural touch at the net while maintaining a dominant baseline game. Murray can actually be included in this thread as well because he's got quite a good feel up the net, as well as Gasquet. Nadal, I didn't include him because he is an ambidextrous and he relies more on solid technique. Djokovic lol... His success this year didn't come from his net game and you fans know it so please go away. The Serbian just isn't a natural and the fact that he is constantly in awkward position when up the net shows he doesn't have the natural balance and feel to be a great volleyer.

And to some people who really think Tsonga is just a pure ball basher with volleys only as good as Roddick's you're just down right incorrect. If anything it should be Djokovic vs Roddick in the volley department.

Sophocles
12-21-2011, 11:56 AM
It's actually embarrassing that people are bringing up Nadal & Djokovic, even if Djoker's volleys have improved.