How come New Zealand sucks at tennis? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How come New Zealand sucks at tennis?

tommyg6
12-13-2011, 05:24 AM
They're next door to Australia where tennis is popular and yet they can't produce a top 500 player, what gives?

PiggyGotRoasted
12-13-2011, 05:28 AM
Lack of tennis infrastructure, no good coaching available, no competitive tournaments. Lack of tennis history basically, same reason a country like Uruguay or Greece have very few players.

tommyg6
12-13-2011, 05:35 AM
Lack of tennis infrastructure, no good coaching available, no competitive tournaments. Lack of tennis history basically, same reason a country like Uruguay or Greece have very few players.

Has NZ ever had any top 100 players?

Smoke944
12-13-2011, 05:37 AM

Yes, plenty.

Action Jackson
12-13-2011, 05:39 AM

Try using Google now and then . They even had a Wimbledon finalist.

Chris Lewis
Onny Parun
Kelly Evernden
Brett Steven

tommyg6
12-13-2011, 05:42 AM
Yes, plenty.

I don't get it, if NZ produce some before why can't they do it nowadays?

12-13-2011, 06:09 AM

Marina Erakovic on the female side.

Chris Lewis reached the final of Wimbledon in 1983 I believe, though he was unseeded so I dont know whether he was ever a top 100 player.

BroTree123
12-13-2011, 08:42 AM
Maybe some lone-wolf dude from NZ will probably emerge like Baghdatis... I'd like that to happen actually.

shadows
12-13-2011, 09:24 AM
They're a small English speaking nation.

Of course they're going to have a hard time

T_T

petar_pan
12-13-2011, 10:09 AM
They don't have enough Croats. Simply as that.

Try using Google now and then . They even had a Wimbledon finalist.

Chris Lewis
Onny Parun
Kelly Evernden
Brett Steven

What I was talking about? Croat, finalist of AO.

Marina Erakovic on the female side.

Chris Lewis reached the final of Wimbledon in 1983 I believe, though he was unseeded so I dont know whether he was ever a top 100 player.

Marina Erakovic

V.H.
12-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Don't complain. Norway's best player is ranked 1,802, and he isn't even Norwegian. We're next to Sweden, but obviously doesn't help much.

tommyg6
12-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Russell Simpson
Jeff Simpson

Both Newzealanders that made the top 100 also.

Stensland
12-13-2011, 03:49 PM
nobody rising through the ranks in the juniors' circuit either. this guy

http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/players/player.asp?player=100129684

is nzl's best shot, currently at no. 73.

tommyg6
12-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Don't complain. Norway's best player is ranked 1,802, and he isn't even Norwegian. We're next to Sweden, but obviously doesn't help much.

i would love norway's best vs. bahamas's best, both crappy players.
actually they should have all the crappy tennis nations in one tournament and it called the crappy tennis nations cup.

gaitare
12-13-2011, 06:44 PM
In the last 20 years they had a top 32 player and a GS quarterfinalist (if I remember correctly) in Steven.

King-Turner was doing pretty well in 2010 and disappeared in early 2011 because of injury.

They have a talented and underachiieving WTA player in Erakovic.

That is not terribly bad for a country with population of what, 3 million, 4 million?

erickmartins
12-13-2011, 06:51 PM
How come Andorra sucks at tennis?
They're next door to France and Spain where tennis is popular and yet they can't produce a top 500 player, what gives?

Mountaindewslave
12-13-2011, 07:08 PM
too many rolling hills.... actually in all seriousness, as beautiful as it is there, a lot of the country's landscape is rather awkward and that could be a reason, possibly less available space for tennis courts/stadiums. also not that big of a population

Mountaindewslave
12-13-2011, 07:08 PM
How come Andorra sucks at tennis?
They're next door to France and Spain where tennis is popular and yet they can't produce a top 500 player, what gives?

hahah this exactly :wavey:

Mountaindewslave
12-13-2011, 07:12 PM
I don't get it, if NZ produce some before why can't they do it nowadays?

this guy is very dim apparently. why do you ask about this one country? why does Zimbabwe not have many successful tennis players when it's not far from South Africa? why does China not have many successful tennis players when it's next to Russia?

a country just existing or being next door to a country with tennis success means nothing! it's all about landscape, culture, tennis organizations, training facilities, the MEANS to be able to. poor countries don't have the means, and many of the others such as New Z neither really have the culture nor the population to produce a lot of tennis players.

the history is lacking and the training organizations to find players when they're young. i'm surprised you are so oblivious of the world, the next thing you know we will have to explain why elephants live in the Safari but not the North Pole, they are both 'places' after alll :o :mad:

12-13-2011, 07:56 PM
I read somewhere that the reason is we have no clay courts at all. They reckon the way forward is to get all our guys growing up on clay. Though if that produces the kind of robots of modern day tennis, id rather not bother. At least the few decent players we have had have been fun to watch.

The problem with small population excuse is that we really do punch above our weight and kick a lot of countries asses at sports where they have more playing.

Also Rugby Union is so dominant here a lot of the available flat landscape is taken up by football fields. Though there is enough tennis courts around.

Maybe the weather? Theres not as many indoor courts here and it does rain a lot sometimes. Can get very windy too.

Id love for us to produce top tennis players. But I think the simple truth is, in general, we suck at tennis. I mean id want to be a pro tennis player more than anything, but truth is first time I picked up a racket and played, my 50 something yearold gereatric dad with the fitness of a 10 yearold dog and more injuries than you could shake a stick at, plus a back worse than Aggassis in 2006, who hasnt played in light years beat me 6-0 6-0 with an old wooden racket :o

Then again, we could just blame it on Federers-Mate. Its easy to blame our countries issues on him. And fun too :worship:

Matt-TennisFan24
12-13-2011, 10:39 PM

Not quite. They actually had Anthony Wilding, winner of 6 Slam titles (and 4 consecutive Wimbledons! :eek:) Won Wimbledon in 1910, 1911, 1912 and 1913, and won the Aussie Open in 1906 and 1909. He also helped the combined team of Australasia to win the Davis Cup in 1907, 1908, 1909 and 1914. He was from the best players of the era. However, he was killed in the World War I and New Zealand pretty much fell down as a tennis country since that moment

fran70
12-13-2011, 11:36 PM
I remember the days of Kelly Evernden and Brett Steven but after that NZ did not even manage to build up new players. In the past they used to have Wellington along with Auckland as main ATP tournaments before the AO and I always expected NZ to produce some descent players but that didnt happened until now at least.

tommyg6
12-14-2011, 12:14 AM
I remember the days of Kelly Evernden and Brett Steven but after that NZ did not even manage to build up new players. In the past they used to have Wellington along with Auckland as main ATP tournaments before the AO and I always expected NZ to produce some descent players but that didnt happened until now at least.

What happened to the Wellington tournament?

misty1
12-14-2011, 12:22 AM
being next door to a country where tennis is popular doesnt mean the neighbouring country will achieve the same success. Canada is next to the united states but hasnt done anywhere near as much. Same thing can be said with norway being next to sweden and denmark being next to germany and close to sweden.

tommyg6
12-14-2011, 12:24 AM
In terms of tennis achievements in the Open era, Canada>New Zealand. We had 10 players who made the top 100 while New Zealand had 5.

Cuz we had...
1. Grant Connell
2. Sebastien Lareau
3. Daniel Nestor
4. Milos Raonic
5. Martin Wostenholme
6. Andrew Sznajder
7. Chris Pridham
8. Martin Laurendeau
9. Glenn Michibata
10. Frank Dancevic

And they had...
1.Russell Simpson
2.Jeff Simpson
3.Kelly Evernden
4.Chris Lewis
5.Brett Steven

suck on that NZ

Topspindoctor
12-14-2011, 12:25 AM
They are too busy shagging sheep :shrug:

misty1
12-14-2011, 12:26 AM
In terms of tennis achievements, Canada>New Zealand. We had 10 players who made the top 100 while New Zealand had 6.

i didnt say canada has done less than new zealnd, all i was trying to say was that being the nehbour of a successful country does not mean that that country will have the same success

fran70
12-14-2011, 01:03 AM
In terms of tennis achievements in the Open era, Canada>New Zealand. We had 10 players who made the top 100 while New Zealand had 5.

Cuz we had...
1. Grant Connell
2. Sebastien Lareau
3. Daniel Nestor
4. Milos Raonic
5. Martin Wostenholme
6. Andrew Sznajder
7. Chris Pridham
8. Martin Laurendeau
9. Glenn Michibata
10. Frank Dancevic

And they had...
1.Russell Simpson
2.Jeff Simpson
3.Kelly Evernden
4.Chris Lewis
5.Brett Steven

suck on that NZ

Among your players I had the chance to see Connell, Michibata, Andrew Sznajder and Martin Laurendeau. Nice doubles team Connell- Michibata :). Clearly remember Wostenholme too :)

fran70
12-14-2011, 01:04 AM
What happened to the Wellington tournament?

If Im not wrong it was demoted to a CH first and then disappeared :sad:

fran70
12-14-2011, 01:06 AM
being next door to a country where tennis is popular doesnt mean the neighbouring country will achieve the same success. Canada is next to the united states but hasnt done anywhere near as much. Same thing can be said with norway being next to sweden and denmark being next to germany and close to sweden.

Rusedski`s arrival helped a lot to Canadian tennis until he decided to play for UK.

tommyg6
12-14-2011, 01:19 AM
Rusedski`s arrival helped a lot to Canadian tennis until he decided to play for UK.

Rusedski was such a turd but anyways, what if New Zealand intergrated their tennis program with Australia? I bet the Aussies could help them.

Jimnik
12-14-2011, 01:29 AM
Not very rich, not very big. Distance from the rest of the world is an issue. It's not like Australia is doing well compared to its history.

ExcaliburII
12-14-2011, 01:32 AM
Doesnt Venus play for NZ? He has made me some money this year, decent player

fast_clay
12-14-2011, 01:47 AM
when you understand that recent studies show that 67% of new zealand males under the age of 16yrs have had intimate relations with livestock of some description more than once, then the question soon becomes a statement: 'It is a good thing New Zealand sucks at tennis'

bluefork
12-14-2011, 02:08 AM
They don't have the appropriate equipment:
http://www.accidentalsexiness.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/fotctennis2.jpg

abraxas21
12-14-2011, 02:55 AM
They're next door to Australia where tennis is popular and yet they can't produce a top 500 player, what gives?

the case of norway is more extreme. right next to a tennis powerhouse and yet they suck donkey balls at tennis.

reason enough for sweden to invade norway again, imho.

abraxas21
12-14-2011, 02:59 AM
They are too busy shagging sheep :shrug:

when you understand that recent studies show that 67% of new zealand males under the age of 16yrs have had intimate relations with livestock of some description more than once, then the question soon becomes a statement: 'It is a good thing New Zealand sucks at tennis'

aussie sheep-shagging jokes about kiwis are always a must

mark73
12-14-2011, 03:33 PM
They don't have the appropriate equipment:
http://www.accidentalsexiness.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/fotctennis2.jpg

It's business time in NZ, if you know what I mean. :devil:

Sham Kay
12-15-2011, 01:25 AM
I'm sure they said that about Swiss Tennis before the New Millenium. In fact, they probably didn't.. which makes it more eye opening. Take the piss out of Wawrinka all you want but.. well, no that's about it.

New Zealand have Rugby as their main sport and Cricket. Both don't have very similar skill sets to tennis, though the physicality and fitness required for Rugby is similar. The point is, it is unlikely children are quickly introduced to Tennis, when more popular sports are driven into their minds.

HKz
12-15-2011, 01:38 AM
They have had more success than many other nations. Nothing else to say here. Always very tough to produce a great talent especially in today's game where talent means very little at least compared to the 70s/80s/etc and since many top players go to tennis rich nations such as Australia, United States, France, and so forth since those countries have much better coaches, funding, courts and attention.

07-14-2012, 11:48 PM

Wow bro so original

Garson007
07-15-2012, 12:05 AM
South Africa isn't doing exactly great either. Historically or otherwise, even though we won a forfeited Davis Cup. We're generally good at most of these British sports. Cricket, Rugby and Golf.

Slade
07-15-2012, 11:39 AM
New Zealand can take Tomug off our hands if they want.