2011 MTF Mug of the Year? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2011 MTF Mug of the Year?

Johnny Groove
12-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Inspired by AJ and his Bandwagon of the year thread, here comes the more humorous mug of the year award.

However, since I only revived the thread in July, there are only 5 monthly winners. I have added a few wild cards.

Topspindoctor
12-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Mugray. Still slamless despite all the hype :superlol:

Johnny Groove
12-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Mugray. Still slamless despite all the hype :superlol:

There is more to tennis than the top 4.

Sham Kay
12-13-2011, 12:00 AM

cgwlJIo0In0

Johnny Groove
12-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Golubev and his ridiculous losing streak and magnus opus vs. Nadal at USO.

Troicki with his epic choking all year long.

The USTA and their shit storm at the USO.

Robin Haase for the choke of the year vs. Nishikori.

Thomaz Bellucci for mugging it up all year and capping it off with his "performance" in the Challenger Tour Finals, an event he should have never played to begin with :lol:

Fernando Verdasco for being the epitome of muggishness all year long, even in matches he won. The choke vs. Soderling in Rome, the loss to Lu on clay, who hadn't won a match on clay in 10 years :facepalm: For the loss to hard court wizard Pablo Andujar in Miami. For his loss in the mugs match of the year vs. Nadal in Cincy :facepalm: And that's just off the top of my head :tape:

Andy Roddick for turning into a huge clown this year in too many matches to recite.

Ernests Gulbis for his usual antics.

Alex Dolgopolov for bad losses all year.

Pirata.
12-13-2011, 12:36 AM
Fernando Verdasco for being the epitome of muggishness all year long, even in matches he won. The choke vs. Soderling in Rome, the loss to Lu on clay, who hadn't won a match on clay in 10 years :facepalm: For the loss to hard court wizard Pablo Andujar in Miami. For his loss in the mugs match of the year vs. Nadal in Cincy :facepalm: And that's just off the top of my head :tape:

This, unfortunately.

Sham Kay
12-13-2011, 12:37 AM
Bellucci probably saved himself with his clay performances. Other than that he could barely buy a win. In fact I suggest they investigate the wins he did have outside clay.

Troicki will probably take it, though he was no where near the biggest mug, just snatched losses from the jaws of victory too often.

Golubev has a knack for making fans want to tear their teeth out to reduce the pain.

Snowwy
12-13-2011, 12:43 AM

Really?

Henry Chinaski
12-13-2011, 01:42 AM
Verdasco's performance in the DC final sealed it for him.

Not just his laughable level of play but his whole contrived performance all weekend. From his fake fighting spirit on court to his OTT celebrations and worming his way into every photo with the trophy. Big time phony.

fast_clay
12-13-2011, 01:45 AM
Verdasco's performance in the DC final sealed it for him.

Not just his laughable level of play but his whole contrived performance all weekend. From his fake fighting spirit on court to his OTT celebrations and worming his way into every photo with the trophy. Big time phony.

his calling out of raonic after i think it was the san jose final, words to the effect of 'lets see how you play real tennis on clay' reeked of pure mug

Orka_n
12-13-2011, 01:56 AM
Fiasco is a hot contender for sure. Personally I'll go with A. Golubev on this one though. The only funny thing about Golu's beyond pathetic year is Everko's prediction that he would actually rise. :lol:

Sham Kay
12-13-2011, 01:57 AM
Really?

Groove and yet another one of his far-fetched stories.. Next he'll be telling us Tennis can be discussed in other forums.

I'm sticking with my guns. Had to break the Brazilian love bias, but - Bellucci.

fast_clay
12-13-2011, 01:59 AM
Fiasco is a hot contender for sure. Personally I'll go with A. Golubev on this one though. The only funny thing about Golu's beyond pathetic year is Everko's prediction that he would actually rise. :lol:

:lol: yeah i remember that sig... went something like:

Golubev will rise.
Everko will fail.

least he got the second part right... covered himself well there...

m9m9m9m9m9
12-13-2011, 02:55 AM
tough one, I say Verdasco has the most consistent muggish display throughout the year, closely follow by Golubev.

Hewitt =Legend
12-13-2011, 02:59 AM
Djokovic.

tripwires
12-13-2011, 03:05 AM
The USTA. I don't even have words.

shiaben
12-13-2011, 03:19 AM
Verdasco would win it but he seems like he doesn't care this year at all whereas someone like Troicki takes the match quite seriously, and still mugs out. Troicki, you can't fool me, you're taking this trophy home. Especially when the ball boy screwed him over for a small point, in his mind, he acted as if he would have won the match had the ball boy not interfered, therefore NID Troicki.

Sham Kay
12-13-2011, 03:21 AM
Muster

Props to the old guy.

Chris Kuerten
12-13-2011, 09:45 AM
So hard to decide, but I eventually voted for Verdasco.

Chase Visa
12-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Golubev. At least Verdasco won some degree of games.

solowyn
12-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Nando :hearts: Never stopped entertaining, from the AO match with Tipsy right up to the DC final doubles.

Sonja1989
12-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Querrey???? I know he was injured since Wimbledon but that few months was terrible enough for get this title I think.

asmazif
12-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Great thread. Gotta be Golubev - ruled the months preceding the 'Mug of the Month' reboot also :hatoff:

nalbyfan
12-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Dimitrov because he's overrated and overhypped but he never won anything except some challengers....
Donald Young would have deserved a WC too

Sunset of Age
12-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Should be a toss-up between Golubev, Fiasco and Troicki. My vote's on Golubev. :worship:

atennisfan
12-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Fiasco.

12-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Gulbis = definition of a Mug

Johnny_Bravo
12-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Golubevski takes this by far

what a year he had :cool:

mark73
12-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Golubev and his ridiculous losing streak and magnus opus vs. Nadal at USO.

Troicki with his epic choking all year long.

The USTA and their shit storm at the USO.

Robin Haase for the choke of the year vs. Nishikori.

Thomaz Bellucci for mugging it up all year and capping it off with his "performance" in the Challenger Tour Finals, an event he should have never played to begin with :lol:

Andy Roddick for turning into a huge clown this year in too many matches to recite.

Ernests Gulbis for his usual antics.

Alex Dolgopolov for bad losses all year.

Ya, all losers. How is your tennis career going by the way? As good as these guys?

MariaV
12-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Too many mugs to vote for. :o :o :o :help: :tape:

Sophocles
12-13-2011, 02:04 PM
There is no such thing as a mug.

pozzanghera
12-13-2011, 02:22 PM
...then what am I drinking my coffee from?

(Also, according to folk here, pretty much anyone who's ever lifted a tennis racquet ever is a mug. And some who haven't.)

superganon
12-13-2011, 02:28 PM
fernando fiasco

Ibracadabra
12-13-2011, 02:46 PM
pretty much the entire top 1000 except federer

Henry Chinaski
12-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Dimitrov because he's overrated and overhypped but he never won anything except some challengers....
Donald Young would have deserved a WC too

same donald young that started the year at 127 and finished at 39?

Too good.

rocketassist
12-13-2011, 03:00 PM
USTA for slowing down the US Open.

ossie
12-13-2011, 04:29 PM
dimugtrov takes the cake

tribalfusion
12-13-2011, 04:37 PM
How is your tennis career going by the way? As good as these guys?

This was my first thought.

OP, you obviously aren't a fraction as good as the worst of these guys and shouldn't be trash talking like this (except possibly about the USTA etc).

Would you enjoy people getting together and calling you a hopeless sub-mug?

Johnny Groove
12-13-2011, 04:41 PM
This was my first thought.

OP, you obviously aren't a fraction as good as the worst of these guys and shouldn't be trash talking like this (except possibly about the USTA etc).

Would you enjoy people getting together and calling you a hopeless sub-mug?

If I was a top 100 player, I wouldn't care what people on a message board called me. I'll still post from time to time when I get to that level, and I'd enjoy this place even more. As I rise, MTF will rise. :cool:

Also, "hopeless sub-mug" registers as a compliment around here. Much worse things have been said :lol:

nole_no1
12-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Bellucci

mark73
12-13-2011, 05:07 PM
If I was a top 100 player, I wouldn't care what people on a message board called me. I'll still post from time to time when I get to that level, and I'd enjoy this place even more. As I rise, MTF will rise. :cool:

Also, "hopeless sub-mug" registers as a compliment around here. Much worse things have been said :lol:

keep dreaming. Innocence is precious. I'm sure one day you will win wimbledon. :rolleyes:

Sombrerero loco
12-13-2011, 05:08 PM
verdasco, by far

tribalfusion
12-13-2011, 05:20 PM

True, worse has been said...not to MTF's credit either.

I tend to think that someone who actually recognized the work that even the worst of these guys put in (and seriously tried himself to do the same) would be far more unwilling to call them mugs.

It is a pity you have internalized this dynamic and I highly doubt you will get far as a player if you think of top players as mugs.

Johnny Groove
12-13-2011, 05:22 PM
keep dreaming. Innocence is precious. I'm sure one day you will win wimbledon. :rolleyes:

I will :yeah:

True, worse has been said...not to MTF's credit either.

I tend to think that someone who actually recognized the work that even the worst of these guys put in (and seriously tried himself to do the same) would be far more unwilling to call them mugs.

It is a pity you have internalized this dynamic and I highly doubt you will get far as a player if you think of top players as mugs.

Oh, come off it, this is just a fun little thread. Respect for guys who have worked their asses off to get to where they are is implied.

samanosuke
12-13-2011, 05:30 PM
people who putting these guys in same context with mtf, they are discrediting this place

tribalfusion
12-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Respect for guys who have worked their asses off to get to where they are is implied.

Yes because one sees thread after thread on here bursting with respect for players....

Gillouthe best
12-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Tough one betwen Verdasco & Troicki, voted for Troicki

finishingmove
12-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Djokovic, Novak.

leng jai
12-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Groove, Johnny

ExcaliburII
12-13-2011, 09:17 PM
zverev?

Johnny Groove
12-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Yes because one sees thread after thread on here bursting with respect for players....

Of course not. If MTF was bursting with respect, it wouldn't be implied anymore :p

JurajCrane
12-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Roland Garros schedule directors. Start clay court best of 5 sets semifinals from 14.00 is stupid. Even when you consider that first was Nadal Murray where 3 sets lasted 3 and a half hours (or so) and then Federer Djokovic, where 4 sets lasted the same plus a break between the matches.

Now imagine, that one match would have one set extra, for example Nadal beating Murray 3-1 instead of 3-0. It would be disgrace of tennis to complete Roland Garros semifinal final set on Saturday. Poor French lucky more than they could imagine.

fran70
12-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Definitely Thiemo de Bakker. Started the year close to the top 40 and with everything to jump to the top 20 with 23 years old and achieving the experienced enough in ATP tournaments in 2010 he did not only failed to do it well on ATP but on the CH tour aswell ending the year ranked 223. :o

Sunset of Age
12-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Definitely Thiemo de Bakker. Started the year close to the top 40 and with everything to jump to the top 20 with 23 years old and achieving the experienced enough in ATP tournaments in 2010 he did not only failed to do it well on ATP but on the CH tour aswell ending the year ranked 223. :o

Though I agree that De Bakker has shown some brilliant mugtastic efforts (against Monfils :bowdown:), it's been reported that he's been having some major physical andm more importantly, mental issues this season.
I'm hoping for a better showing the next season. :)

fran70
12-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Though I agree that De Bakker has shown some brilliant mugtastic efforts (against Monfils :bowdown:), it's been reported that he's been having some major physical andm more importantly, mental issues this season.
I'm hoping for a better showing the next season. :)

Hi Karin :wavey:

I know what you mean and you know that I supported him for just a long time but this year performance was too much :sad:

Naudio Spanlatine
12-13-2011, 11:10 PM
This, unfortunately.
+1 where the fuck do i start:o :smash: :bigcry: :banghead:

Sunset of Age
12-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Hi Karin :wavey:

I know what you mean and you know that I supported him for just a long time but this year performance was too much :sad:

I fully agree, he was awful indeed this season and should perhaps have been included in Jon's survey. ;)

Edda
12-14-2011, 01:36 AM
Verdasco. He has a rotten attitude, too.

helvet empire
12-14-2011, 08:20 PM
robin haase. he has officially become the greatest chocker on tour this year. Next year will be tough for him though, with the return of the GOAT chocker PHM. But he certainly has a promising future and might take over PHM to become the chokeGOAT.

TMJordan
12-14-2011, 08:36 PM
zverev?

get out of here

Johnny Groove
12-14-2011, 08:41 PM
I fully agree, he was awful indeed this season and should perhaps have been included in Jon's survey. ;)

Ah, yes, I was unaware of De Bakker's 200 ranking spot plunge.

Surely he would have won the award in the early months this year, he and Golubev. Perhaps I should have put him instead of Dolgo or something.

However, I think in the end, Mr. Verdasco will win this award, and very deservedly :)

Scola
12-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Nadal = by many so called mental giant, now shiting his undies in every final.

Mountaindewslave
12-15-2011, 04:40 AM
it's got to be Golubev, didn't he have like a 13 straight 1st round loss thing going on at one point or something insane hahahha

i'll admit Verdasco has been embarassing too, esspecially after all that talk about "real tennis" when losing on hard court against that Canadian.... classless

fast_clay
12-15-2011, 05:11 AM
yeah... i agree with the verdasco vote...

for someone who has the potential to be so consistently dangerous to the top 4, to then be so consistently muggy re: whining, bitching and mugging out is an outrage and a great shame on the country of spain...

Johnny Groove
01-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Verdasco has run away with the poll and has won the prestigious MTF Mug of the Year Award :yeah:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m121/Blaze-2004/MugoftheYear.jpg

Final results:

1. Verdasco
2. Golubev
3. Gulbis
4. Troicki
5. Dimitrov

samanosuke
01-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Troicki clearly got robbed here

Naudio Spanlatine
01-01-2012, 03:32 PM
:sobbing: :bigcry: :sobbing:

Belludal
01-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Verdasco has run away with the poll and has won the prestigious MTF Mug of the Year Award :yeah:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m121/Blaze-2004/MugoftheYear.jpg

Final results:

1. Verdasco
2. Golubev
3. Gulbis
4. Troicki
5. Dimitrov

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

EddieNero
01-01-2012, 04:44 PM
I don't understand this choice, Verdasco hasn't pulled off anything extraordinary this year.
Some usual choking against Nadal and couple of matches blown.

Lucilla
01-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Is it the first time Verdasco wins this "award"?

Naudio Spanlatine
01-01-2012, 05:05 PM

I think so, i hope so:bigcry: :crying2:

Johnny Groove
01-01-2012, 05:10 PM
I don't understand this choice, Verdasco hasn't pulled off anything extraordinary this year.
Some usual choking against Nadal and couple of matches blown.

Verdasco has won this award not just because of his insane muggishness on the court, but also off of it.

This guy started 2011 as #9 in the world and began it by losing 1-6 in the first set en route to a loss to the Great Benji Becker.

Pathetic effort vs. Berdych at AO, then, those two losses to Raonic indoors and ensuing mug comments about "real tennis" on clay :rolleyes: Mug.

Underachieving vs. Bellucci in Acapulco (loss), Querrey in Indian Wells (another loss), and choking vs. His Highness Pablo Andujar the Hardcourt Wizard in Miami.

But Nando was just getting started. Amazingly, he was still #10 in the world at this time.

Robredo got him in Monte Carlo, he actually mugged past some wins in Estoril, including a RET win revenge over Raonic, before getting embarassed in the final vs. Delpo, 2-6, 2-6 :o

His piece de resistance were his two losses at Madrid to Lu, who hadn't won a match on clay in 10 years (and that was in qualies), and his epic, epic, epic choke of the year vs. Soderling in Rome.

Mugs around and losing to Old Man Ljubo at Roland Garros :facepalm: Gets spanked 6-2 6-2 by Roddick at Queens, and barely scrapes by Stepanek at Wimbly before ultimately losing to The Joker, Robin Haase 2nd round. :yeah:

Mugs match of the year vs. Nadal in Cincy, a 1-6, 0-6 destruction by Berdych in Beijing :facepalm:

Not to mention his antics in the DC final with the trophy :o

Johnny Groove
01-01-2012, 05:11 PM

It is actually the first time the award has been given out :yeah:

Naudio Spanlatine
01-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Verdasco has won this award not just because of his insane muggishness on the court, but also off of it.

This guy started 2011 as #9 in the world and began it by losing 1-6 in the first set en route to a loss to the Great Benji Becker.

Pathetic effort vs. Berdych at AO, then, those two losses to Raonic indoors and ensuing mug comments about "real tennis" on clay :rolleyes: Mug.

Underachieving vs. Bellucci in Acapulco (loss), Querrey in Indian Wells (another loss), and choking vs. His Highness Pablo Andujar the Hardcourt Wizard in Miami.

But Nando was just getting started. Amazingly, he was still #10 in the world at this time.

Robredo got him in Monte Carlo, he actually mugged past some wins in Estoril, including a RET win revenge over Raonic, before getting embarassed in the final vs. Delpo, 2-6, 2-6 :o

His piece de resistance were his two losses at Madrid to Lu, who hadn't won a match on clay in 10 years (and that was in qualies), and his epic, epic, epic choke of the year vs. Soderling in Rome.

Mugs around and losing to Old Man Ljubo at Roland Garros :facepalm: Gets spanked 6-2 6-2 by Roddick at Queens, and barely scrapes by Stepanek at Wimbly before ultimately losing to The Joker, Robin Haase 2nd round. :yeah:

Mugs match of the year vs. Nadal in Cincy, a 1-6, 0-6 destruction by Berdych in Beijing :facepalm:

THIS! x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000

:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

philosophicalarf
01-01-2012, 05:43 PM

A comprehensive summary. Hard to argue with his coronation as MTF MotY.

Edda
01-02-2012, 03:00 AM
Verdasco also wins the Bad Sportsmanship Award of the Year. The spitting on court, the temper tantrums and general lousy attitude win him the title hands down.

Naudio Spanlatine
01-02-2012, 04:33 AM
Nando:o :o :o

I dont care anyways, i still love my spainard:kiss: :awww: :hug:

tektonac
01-02-2012, 05:07 AM
troicki did not qualify for one of the first 3 positions? what a mug.

Pirata.
01-02-2012, 05:31 AM

See my sig for the worst part about this loss :o

Fer :sobbing::bigcry:

Naudio Spanlatine
01-02-2012, 05:32 AM
Ok can we PLEASE end this thread this is so depressing:sad: :awww: :facepalm:

Pirata.
01-02-2012, 05:33 AM
omg Dee, your avatar change confused me so much, I thought you were Belludal :lol:

Naudio Spanlatine
01-02-2012, 05:34 AM
:haha: well i wanted to throw people off :lol: ;)

but yea:angel:

Beat
01-02-2012, 09:37 AM
i like golubev, but he obviously deserves this title.

Orka_n
01-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Poor Golubev... always coming up short when it matters.

ZaZoo)
01-02-2012, 12:11 PM
troicki did not qualify for one of the first 3 positions? what a mug.

Yeah, Troicki is so muggy he can't even get to top 3 in this competition. :haha:

Adri89
01-02-2012, 03:40 PM
I voted for Gulbis, but De Bakker deserves too a mention here.
Dimitrov was a bit disappointing in my opinion too, but at least he has more time than Gulbis to break.

RafaNadal2012!!!
01-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Verdasco.