Any first time slam winners next year ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Any first time slam winners next year ?

TENNISCRACK
12-12-2011, 01:10 AM
Do you think any players will win their first slam next year ?

Topspindoctor
12-12-2011, 01:14 AM
Not a chance, unless Olderer reaches a slam final and gifts it to some mug like he did in 2009 USO.

Pirata.
12-12-2011, 01:14 AM
Pics to win AO, vamos :rocker2:

Gabe32
12-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Not a chance, unless Olderer reaches a slam final and gifts it to some mug like he did in 2009 USO.

?

JMD beat Federer twice in 2009 and Nadal 3 times. Del Potro at his best plays at a very high level. He is more than a Soderling or a Berdych.

Johnny Groove
12-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Surely Tsonga or Murray will win one somewhere.

Gabe32
12-12-2011, 01:25 AM
And to answer the question, I think Federer/Nadal/Djokovic still have a stranglehold on all the slams. I hope someone can at least challenge them to make things interesting. But Murray just collapses. Tsonga is equally inconsistent. Berdych, Soderling, etc. etc. are all so streaky. And I don't think Juan Martin will ever be what he was 2 years ago unfortunately.

emotion
12-12-2011, 01:27 AM
Tsonga, Murray, Ferrer all have chances. del Potro's was a fluke, I have to agree with Nadtards on that...

Saberq
12-12-2011, 01:39 AM
Tsonga and Ferrer winning slams......you mugs

RafaNadal2012!!!
12-12-2011, 01:54 AM
No.

Murray :haha: :haha: :haha:

PiggyGotRoasted
12-12-2011, 02:03 AM
Del Potro is obviously going to improve next year, but he has already won a slam.

Realisticly the only threats are Murray and maybe Tsonga.

Maybe some surprise will come at the AO, either a youngster break through or an older player such as Nalbandian will come back and prove everyone wrong. Not so much of a chance but who knows

Mountaindewslave
12-12-2011, 02:04 AM
only real possibilities I see are maybe Tsonga at Australia, Tomic at WImbledon, or Del Potro at RG/US

EliSter
12-12-2011, 02:21 AM
Clowng and Mugray aint wining any slams...maybe tho

When pigs start to fly....

SetSampras
12-12-2011, 02:34 AM
Well I guess this thread shows how pathetic the 5-20 spot in tennis is these days.. No one giving any other player a snowball's chance in hell of winning a slam next year.

You know how sad this all sounds? ROFL

Topspindoctor
12-12-2011, 02:36 AM
Well I guess this thread shows how pathetic the 5-20 spot in tennis is these days.. No one giving any other player a snowball's chance in hell of winning a slam next year.

You know how sad this all sounds? ROFL

You can spin it the other way: The top 3 are so good, nobody stands a chance against them. If many 5-20 players have a legitimate chance at a slam, it means it's a mug era with slams being decided on a flip of a coin and no one being able to dominate...

Snowwy
12-12-2011, 02:37 AM
You can spin it the other way: The top 3 are so good, nobody stands a chance against them. If many 5-20 players have a legitimate chance at a slam, it means it's a mug era with slams being decided on a flip of a coin and no one being able to dominate...

I agree with this.

Johnny Groove
12-12-2011, 02:45 AM

Malivai Washington and Martin Verkerk wouldn't be making many slam finals these days.

SetSampras
12-12-2011, 03:22 AM
Alot of that has to do with homogenizing the conditions and slowing of surfaces and just baseline tennis in why we have what he have today at the top. The 5-20 in the world just don't have the game at the baseline to compete with the top 3-4 under these conditions. Going back to the older conditions then things would get interesting.. Nole and Rafa wouldn't dominate to the same extent because of faster conditions with low bouncing surfaces, Murray would struggle with his pushing under old Wimbledon and USO type conditions and Fed's chances of course increase along with the some of bigger hitting attack players like Tsonga and Berdych and some others

MatchFederer
12-12-2011, 03:35 AM
As above.

Homogeneity narrows the number of prevailing styles within tennis and so if one player is dominant on one type of surface there is a good chance they will be dominant on say, 70% of surfaces, rather than the 30 or 40% of the 90's; the numbers chosen were arbitrary but should be illustrative. This makes the few individuals who are excelling at the top of tennis even fewer as it only pertains to one main overarching tennis ethos. With greater surface variance, given rise is the potential for more styles to flourish at the top level, and suddenly the few can become the many. This isn't a rebuttal as such to the argument that less people dominating means the era is stronger, but it's a point to be considered.

Action Jackson
12-12-2011, 03:50 AM
As above.

Homogeneity narrows the number of prevailing styles within tennis and so if one player is dominant on one type of surface there is a good chance they will be dominant on say, 70% of surfaces, rather than the 30 or 40% of the 90's; the numbers chosen were arbitrary but should be illustrative. This makes the few individuals who are excelling at the top of tennis even fewer as it only pertains to one main overarching tennis ethos. With greater surface variance, given rise is the potential for more styles to flourish at the top level, and suddenly the few can become the many. This isn't a rebuttal as such to the argument that less people dominating means the era is stronger, but it's a point to be considered.

Too much commonsense, it's so obvious as the sun spins around the earth. When you have limited variance between the respective surfaces and yes they've been homogenised of course the concentration of greater success is going to be limited. It's so simple it really.

Sham Kay
12-12-2011, 03:51 AM
I see a legitimate chance for Raonic to be honest. It's not just a feeling, there's something about his face. His face shows he'll pull off a surprise or two, possibly even a slam final next year. Go on do it, look directly at a pic of Raonic's face and tell me you don't think he'll succeed next year. It's just impossible.

abraxas21
12-12-2011, 03:58 AM
andy murray should take at least one

Gabe32
12-12-2011, 04:49 AM
andy murray should take at least one

I have learned to never bet on Andy Murray. And it is a shame, I like the guy.

Mountaindewslave
12-12-2011, 05:14 AM

the past few years including now have had one of the weakest fields ever seen...

enough of this nonsense about how 'great' the top few players are. I agree when talking about Federer universally but the others not so much. the field is horrible, almost all players above rank 5 can't EVER upset and don't have the goods esspecially when it comes to the mental side of the game. the only time we get upsets is when a top 3/4 player decides to crash out

field is weak >>>>> great top players.... both apply but the field has not been this thinly spread in a long long time

it's quite sad and only deluded fans will actually say they believe the reason the top 3/4 dominate so much is because of THEMSELVES as much as the sad state of the rest of the tour

Pirata.
12-12-2011, 05:44 AM
Malivai Washington and Martin Verkerk wouldn't be making many slam finals these days.

Berdych?

Shinoj
12-12-2011, 05:52 AM
Its not a super strong era as people are making out. Only the Top 4 are strong, the rest are borderline Mugs. Exceptions are Ferrer and Tsonga(to some extend).

And its hilarious to say that nobody has a chance at the GS apart from the Top 4. The Top 4 have been in Peak form for last two years doesnt mean that they will be in peak form every Grand Slam and none of the other would be in Peak Form. Its Bandwagon really.

I could see that Nadal will have a dip and one amongst the chasing pack could have a really strong year. Del Potro could be one of them. Nothing is constant in Tennis and it never was.

PiggyGotRoasted
12-12-2011, 06:12 AM
Shame davydenko is not hitting his peak right now - he would probably pick up a GS over the next 2 years.

shiaben
12-12-2011, 06:27 AM
Tsonga is the one with the best shot but I can't promise nor predict he'd get one.

Oh......I just realized...........Andy Murray.........still hasn't won one......sigh...

Well regardless I will say this will be Tsonga's best chance this coming year and perhaps 2013 will be Murray's best chance. We'll see.

Egreen
12-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Murray has the best chance.

r2473
12-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Federer.....he'll complete the "career golden slam".

JurajCrane
12-12-2011, 08:33 PM

Del Potro at his very best is better player than Nadal at his best.

samanosuke
12-12-2011, 08:40 PM
cilic, next please

Yolita
12-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Murray and Tsonga. Delpo may get his second one.

TBkeeper
12-13-2011, 11:29 AM
?

JMD beat Federer twice in 2009 and Nadal 3 times. Del Potro at his best plays at a very high level. He is more than a Soderling or a Berdych.

And less than a Davydenko at his best ...

DAVYFUCKINDENKO WILL PEAK ! ! ! please !

MIMIC
12-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Murray perhaps at the U.S. Open. But in all likelihood: no.

ossie
12-13-2011, 06:19 PM
no, ive lost hope in murray ever winning a slam, the rest are just clowns

madmax
12-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Stronga will snatch at least one folks...I can just smell it

gaitare
12-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Murray will win a slam in 2012.

Tsonga will not reach another grand slam final in his career.

Mountaindewslave
12-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Surely Tsonga or Murray will win one somewhere.

do you actually believe this or are you just hoping....? :o :cool: let's be honest, in reality, out of the top 3 guys who have won everything for the past decade practically, Del Potro is the only realistic Grand Slam winner. and i'm not just saying that because he has won one before, but because he appears to be the only real contender out there when healthy. Players like Soderling and Berdych and Tsonga have been labeled slam contenders over the years but after one or two big upsets they crumble in the big moments.

Del Potro has the game and the belief and is the only player out there who has recently driven all of the top guys in close matches. Beat Novak in DC, battled against Nadal (and in some cases dominated, i.e. 1st set) on clay. and he definitely has a chance at an older Federer.

Del Potro seems like the only realistic possibility, and to be honest I am sick and tired of so many posters and fans and EVEN tennis commentators stating they see Tsonga winning one. really? how? he is a player who can make a big upset but who crashes right afterwards.
and as far as Murray is concerned, MAYBE just MAYBE? extremely good ball striker and extremely consistant isn't good enough if he never PEAKS.

just don't see anyone except maybe a young gun or Del Potro doing it

***in retrospect I do see this thread is regarding first time Grand Slam winning possibilities, and to address that I will mention I find it very unlikely anyone will win their first****

Fuser59
12-13-2011, 07:37 PM
..imagine if Ernests Mugbis has a dream two weeks and wins or reaches a GS final...he Would have to win the first round though :) not likely...but it would make things interesting..no real contenders unfortunately...it's a dominating era...in the 90's it would be a tennis holiday when top 4 seeds reached a GS semi and we used to WANT IT....Now it's pretty much common and we call for dark horses...Besides the ONE semi is always one sided these days Nadull-Murray ...I'm not ever watching these two again...!!

Fuser59
12-13-2011, 07:39 PM
cilic, next please

....do you really believe that?? Cilic WILL NOT ever win a GS. ..the only guy he likes playing is Tipsa....

ossie
12-13-2011, 07:57 PM
cilic, next please
i will stop watching tennis the day mugic wins a slam.

Sauletekis
12-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Tomic in Wimby has a chance!

Time Violation
12-13-2011, 08:17 PM
..imagine if Ernests Mugbis has a dream two weeks and wins or reaches a GS final...he Would have to win the first round though :)

I like the guy, but he can barely put two good days together :)

samanosuke
12-13-2011, 08:23 PM
i will stop watching tennis the day mugic wins a slam.

at least then you'll improve your tennis knowledge. less you see, more you'll know

Eddy DoubleD
12-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Delpo will win his 5th...

So no first time GS winners next year.

Saberq
12-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Tomic in Wimby has a chance!

how?since when is this kid the grasscourt king?All I hear is Tomic will win Wimbledon ....never has a person with mediocre movement won Wimbledon

Henry Chinaski
12-13-2011, 09:55 PM
mugray will win the australian open

unless he doesn't

Sunset of Age
12-14-2011, 12:06 AM
I wouldn't rule out Tsonga's chances, if he manages to keep up his high level of playing of the past couple of months.

tripwires
12-14-2011, 12:43 AM
It seems like we enter every new season - or slam, really - picking Murray as a genuine contender...which, I suppose, makes sense from a rankings standpoint. But the truth is that he's been consistent in failing to deliver. I'd like to see him win a slam because he's a hard worker and probably deserves one slam after everything that he's gone through, but I just don't see how he'd do it unless he faces someone other than Federer/Djokovic/Nadal. Even then, that's a pretty tall order.

Honestly, I think Tsonga's more likely to win a slam than Murray at this point, IF Tsonga keeps his head together and makes the shots that he goes for. He's shown that he's capable of blasting Roger off the court. I don't see why he can't do the same to Djokovic and Nadal. He should be a pretty strong contender at Wimbledon.

As for Tomic...huh?

Mountaindewslave
12-14-2011, 01:11 AM
I wouldn't rule out Tsonga's chances, if he manages to keep up his high level of playing of the past couple of months.

Tsonga can't win two big matches in a row.................... :o .... so yes, it is fairly safe to count him out

HKz
12-14-2011, 06:44 AM

As if Nadal had nothing to do with it by losing 2, 2 and 2?

yuri27
12-14-2011, 06:06 PM
how?since when is this kid the grasscourt king?All I hear is Tomic will win Wimbledon ....never has a person with mediocre movement won Wimbledon

Ivanesic and Krajicek were great movers,weren't they?:rolleyes:

yuri27
12-14-2011, 06:08 PM
It seems like we enter every new season - or slam, really - picking Murray as a genuine contender...which, I suppose, makes sense from a rankings standpoint. But the truth is that he's been consistent in failing to deliver. I'd like to see him win a slam because he's a hard worker and probably deserves one slam after everything that he's gone through, but I just don't see how he'd do it unless he faces someone other than Federer/Djokovic/Nadal. Even then, that's a pretty tall order.

Honestly, I think Tsonga's more likely to win a slam than Murray at this point, IF Tsonga keeps his head together and makes the shots that he goes for. He's shown that he's capable of blasting Roger off the court. I don't see why he can't do the same to Djokovic and Nadal. He should be a pretty strong contender at Wimbledon.

As for Tomic...huh?

because they are both far better defenders than current Federer (not the peak one) and because one of them(Djoker) has a far better ROS than Federer.

ossie
12-14-2011, 06:20 PM
at least then you'll improve your tennis knowledge. less you see, more you'll know
not watching mugic does wonders for your tennis knowledge (and sanity)

Saberq
12-14-2011, 06:51 PM

on grass solid

12-14-2011, 08:09 PM

HKz lays a smack down.

petar_pan
12-14-2011, 08:50 PM

Tomic will be one the favourite at Wimby in the coming year even his movements are so poor (but can be better, because he just turned 19). I remember how Cilic had poor footwark when he 18-19. Fact is, Tomic is so talented and has the "90's tennis brain" (today allmost everbody are "tennis brainless") and has champion's head.
Ivanisevic was one of the best movers on grass in 90's. He could go so nice and low and was quick. I am talking about Goran untill his 23th (or maybe 2 more) birthday. After that he got some mass and he wasn't that quick.

Saberq
12-15-2011, 01:05 AM
Tomic will be one the favourite at Wimby in the coming year even his movements are so poor (but can be better, because he just turned 19). I remember how Cilic had poor footwark when he 18-19. Fact is, Tomic is so talented and has the "90's tennis brain" (today allmost everbody are "tennis brainless") and has champion's head.
Ivanisevic was one of the best movers on grass in 90's. He could go so nice and low and was quick. I am talking about Goran untill his 23th (or maybe 2 more) birthday. After that he got some mass and he wasn't that quick.

and now he is a Grand Slam winning material....Cilic is a mug....genes probably ...you cant change that

Topspindoctor
12-15-2011, 01:12 AM

Nadal was injured, Olderer was just shit, not to mention the second set choke.

HKz
12-15-2011, 01:33 AM
Nadal was injured, Olderer was just shit, not to mention the second set choke.

Please come up with more excuses. You may join tard da fail, failerko and clay fail as Nadal's spokeswomen.

Topspindoctor
12-15-2011, 01:44 AM
Please come up with more excuses. You may join tard da fail, failerko and clay fail as Nadal's spokeswomen.

I guess Nadal served two second serves the entire tournament and was wrapped in bandages just for fun, eh? There is no way a healthy Nadal loses to Del fucking Potro on any surface 2/2/2 and you know it.

PiggyGotRoasted
12-15-2011, 02:17 AM
I guess Nadal served two second serves the entire tournament and was wrapped in bandages just for fun, eh? There is no way a healthy Nadal loses to Del fucking Potro on any surface 2/2/2 and you know it.

There is also no way a healthy nadal can have a losing record to anyone, especially not Davydenko. In fact every match he has lost a 6 - 2 set in ever he was wrapped up in bandages and injured and you also know that.

HKz
12-15-2011, 02:44 AM

Nadal always serves two second serves.

Nadal is always wrapped up in bandages.

Please give me more.

petar_pan
12-15-2011, 05:33 PM
and now he is a Grand Slam winning material....Cilic is a mug....genes probably ...you cant change that

Because of genes of Novak Djokovic (you know very well which nation has the most top 10 players in tennis history from Balkan) is tennis champion.
The point is: movement, nothing else.

Sunset of Age
12-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Tsonga can't win two big matches in a row.................... :o .... so yes, it is fairly safe to count him out

Tsonga has been in three finals in a row. Doesn't matter that he lost them, he had to win more than just 'two matches in row' to get there, I think.

:wavey: