Biggest comebacks of the season [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Biggest comebacks of the season

abraxas21
12-11-2011, 02:39 AM
tsonga and djokovic beating federer down from 2 sets to love in Wimby and USO respectively are the best comebacks of the year according to the ATP - http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/12/Features/Top-Comebacks-Of-2011.aspx

any other good comebacks?

Topspindoctor
12-11-2011, 02:44 AM
Dodig coming back to score the lucky win against Nadal will be the highlight of his mediocre career.

leng jai
12-11-2011, 02:52 AM
Dodig coming back to score the lucky win against Nadal will be the highlight of his mediocre career.

Stop being a bitter gimp for 2 seconds.

Hewitt =Legend
12-11-2011, 03:03 AM
The Fog over Kavcic in Casablanca.

MIMIC
12-11-2011, 03:16 AM
#4 was not a comeback :o

Topspindoctor
12-11-2011, 03:33 AM
Stop being a bitter gimp for 2 seconds.

It's not bitterness, it's the truth. Mugdig lucked out against zero confidence Nadal. It sickens me that this clown beat the GOAT.

abraxas21
12-11-2011, 03:39 AM
It's not bitterness, it's the truth. Mugdig lucked out against zero confidence Nadal. It sickens me that this clown beat the GOAT.

:spit: the ACC is over, mate. no need to keep campaigning...

rocketassist
12-11-2011, 03:44 AM
#4 was not a comeback :o

Neither was #1 then. Both were epic chokes :o

Pirata.
12-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Yeah, there's a difference between a choke and a comeback. You wouldn't call Gaudio's win a comeback, that was a textbook choke.

Certinfy
12-11-2011, 12:29 PM
According to the ATP any 'big' comeback, match, etc. has to include a top 4 player 99% of the time. It's pathetic to say the least.

Saberq
12-11-2011, 01:05 PM

how did Fed choke? ....first match point Novak hits a clean winner...second match point Fed was unlucky....when the fuck did he choke...Novak hit like 10 winners in the last 3 games ....

MatchFederer
12-11-2011, 01:07 PM
I thought Nole came back well at the end of it.

Renaud
12-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Kubot over Almagro and Robert over Berdych in RG because the were clear outsiders and won from 0-2 playing real offensive tennis.

xdrewitdajx
12-11-2011, 02:02 PM
how did Fed choke? ....first match point Novak hits a clean winner...second match point Fed was unlucky....when the fuck did he choke...Novak hit like 10 winners in the last 3 games ....

djokovic had excellent court positioning during the double fault for the break

dudili
12-11-2011, 02:41 PM

df is the logical consequence of the fear of returning from another planet

JurajCrane
12-11-2011, 02:43 PM

Ivan Dodig has never beaten Rod Laver or Roger Federer, neither. Start watching tennis ;)

Sham Kay
12-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Nadal coming back in the 2nd and 3rd set against Golubev at the USO. It was a thing of beauty. It was a thing of majesty. It was the greatest straight sets comeback of all time.

Egreen
12-11-2011, 03:10 PM
tsonga and djokovic beating federer down from 2 sets to love in Wimby and USO respectively are the best comebacks of the year according to the ATP - http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/12/Features/Top-Comebacks-Of-2011.aspx

Ditto, especially since both comebacks happened at slams.

Henry Chinaski
12-11-2011, 03:35 PM
what did De Bakker lead Monfils by in Australia? something like 2 sets to 0 and 5-2 in the third

samanosuke
12-11-2011, 03:36 PM

:haha:

Mountaindewslave
12-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Nadal coming back in the 2nd and 3rd set against Golubev at the USO. It was a thing of beauty. It was a thing of majesty. It was the greatest straight sets comeback of all time.

:D haha honestly i almost thought the same thing, he was so lucky to win that in straights but let's be honest that was an example of Golubev choking not Nadal coming back hahahhaha

MIMIC
12-11-2011, 09:18 PM

It was either that or have another serve routinely dismissed.

Saberq
12-11-2011, 09:45 PM

Fed was losing that point even if that second serve was in

abraxas21
12-11-2011, 09:51 PM
man, these djokotards are something else...

tektonac
12-11-2011, 10:15 PM

fed was expecting another slingshot return, he was ready for a diaper change.

Sunset of Age
12-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Tsonga against Fed in that Wimbledon QF, no doubt about that.
I think it was amazing how Tsonga managed to keep his cool after losing those first two sets - while in fact playing very well during most of those sets apart from those two serve games he got broken. Didn't flinch, didn't blink, just kept his composure and continued his good playing, quite in contrary to what one sees happening so often - a player just throwing the towel when being 0-2 sets down against a 'top player'. He deserves all kudos for that performance.

I've seen quite a few posts claiming that Fed was 'too passive' in the following three sets, which might have some degree of truth, but imho Tsonga just showed amazing mental fortitude and took full advantage of Fed's level decreasing whereas he managed to keep it up himself.
An outstanding and very well-deserved victory!

:spit:

Naudio Spanlatine
12-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Tsonga deserves the comeback of the year, he was such a joy to watch
http://freecutemsn.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/bella-monkey-girl-emoticons-yee.gif
http://freecutemsn.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/bella-in-love-monkey-msn-emotions.gif
http://freecutemsn.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/cici-cute-monkey-girl-emoticons.gif

Ibracadabra
12-11-2011, 10:54 PM
what did De Bakker lead Monfils by in Australia? something like 2 sets to 0 and 5-2 in the third

yes, served for it twice in the 3rd if i remember correct.

emotion
12-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Tsonga against Fed in that Wimbledon QF, no doubt about that.
I think it was amazing how Tsonga managed to keep his cool after losing those first two sets - while in fact playing very well during most of those sets apart from those two serve games he got broken. Didn't flinch, didn't blink, just kept his composure and continued his good playing, quite in contrary to what one sees happening so often - a player just throwing the towel when being 0-2 sets down against a 'top player'. He deserves all kudos for that performance.

I've seen quite a few posts claiming that Fed was 'too passive' in the following three sets, which might have some degree of truth, but imho Tsonga just showed amazing mental fortitude and took full advantage of Fed's level decreasing whereas he managed to keep it up himself.
An outstanding and very well-deserved victory!

:spit:

tsonga was only broken once i think

Sunset of Age
12-11-2011, 11:30 PM
tsonga was only broken once i think

Uhm yeah, you're probably right. The very first game in the first set.
Obviously being nervous - right thereafter he really got his stuff together.

MatchFederer
12-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Tsonga deserves the comeback of the year, he was such a joy to watch
http://freecutemsn.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/bella-monkey-girl-emoticons-yee.gif
http://freecutemsn.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/bella-in-love-monkey-msn-emotions.gif
http://freecutemsn.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/cici-cute-monkey-girl-emoticons.gif

I love using these monkeys on MSN. Monkeys FTW.

Naudio Spanlatine
12-12-2011, 12:50 AM
I love using these monkeys on MSN. Monkeys FTW.

I love those monkeys too, i use them all the time

http://freecutemsn.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/bella-monkey-girl-shy.gif

v-money
12-12-2011, 01:51 AM

Yes he was down 2-5 in the third but I watched this match, and trust me, it was no comeback. Just a textbook choke. De Bakker missed some easy volleys at decisive moments.

KaiserT
12-12-2011, 01:52 AM
Muster comeback vs Mayer was up there in the unlikeliness stakes.

from 1-6 2-5 or something as a 13.00 odds dog prematch.

Pirata.
12-12-2011, 01:56 AM
Muster comeback vs Mayer was up there in the unlikeliness stakes.

from 1-6 2-5 or something as a 13.00 odds dog prematch.

:eek:

Topspindoctor
12-12-2011, 01:58 AM
Clownga's comeback - you just don't beat Olderer on grass in QF of Wimbledon after being 2 sets down with Clownga's mental strength and yet it happened...Olderer only broke Clownga's serve once in 5 sets :spit: :haha:

fast_clay
12-12-2011, 02:41 AM
dodig was smashed up in the 1st set very badly by a fresh and extremely healthy nadal... 6-1 was the score in an absolute demolition... what you'd expect really... but, that only lasted until the beastly croat exposed to the viewing public and nadal his two massive dodigs... nadal did not know where to look.... someone down the other end just having no regard for what has been said about nadal's masculinity... dodig didn't care... didn't worry dodig... he didn't give a shit... 7-6 dodig won the second.. but soon the croat was looking squarely down the barrel in the 3rd as nadal was serving for the match... but again... dodig displays what is concealed beneath his undergarments...

result...?

two great comebacks inside one match...

simply put: a masterclass in how you repeatedly put a living legend to the sword when you are under the pump...

Naudio Spanlatine
12-12-2011, 02:47 AM
why do you have to mention that match:ras:
http://freecutemsn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/crying-milky-boy-emotions.gif

Yolita
12-12-2011, 04:19 AM

Yes, of course Fed choked in the USO semifinal.

I'm a Nole fan, but I'm not so delusional as to think that Novak had anything to do with that win! :superlol::superlol:

shiaben
12-12-2011, 07:31 AM
Tsonga's. He was mentally tough, made absolutely no mistakes to get those 3 sets. Federer couldn't do anything. And it wasn't a choke at all. The guy was in some kind of zone. Hitting all his serves and shots during those 3 sets.

Logical
12-12-2011, 10:06 AM
dodig was smashed up in the 1st set very badly by a fresh and extremely healthy nadal... 6-1 was the score in an absolute demolition... what you'd expect really... but, that only lasted until the beastly croat exposed to the viewing public and nadal his two massive dodigs... nadal did not know where to look.... someone down the other end just having no regard for what has been said about nadal's masculinity... dodig didn't care... didn't worry dodig... he didn't give a shit... 7-6 dodig won the second.. but soon the croat was looking squarely down the barrel in the 3rd as nadal was serving for the match... but again... dodig displays what is concealed beneath his undergarments...

result...?

two great comebacks inside one match...

simply put: a masterclass in how you repeatedly put a living legend to the sword when you are under the pump...
Clown hater:facepalm: Dogig win is fluke :wavey:

manadrainer
12-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Tsonga's comeback. He deserved a lot of credit for being broken just once in a 5-set match.

Nole's comeback was stunning, but Fed played a part in it: there was a great return from Djokovic on the first match point, but Fed should've taken the second... instead he missed a routine inside-out forehand.

fast_clay
12-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Clown hater:facepalm:

why you call nadal clown :confused:

Egreen
12-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Yes, of course Fed choked in the USO semifinal.

I'm a Nole fan, but I'm not so delusional as to think that Novak had anything to do with that win! :superlol::superlol:

Specially since it had just happened to him at Wimbledon.:o

Saberq
12-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Tsonga's comeback. He deserved a lot of credit for being broken just once in a 5-set match.

Nole's comeback was stunning, but Fed played a part in it: there was a great return from Djokovic on the first match point, but Fed should've taken the second... instead he missed a routine inside-out forehand.

he didnt miss it he was just unlucky to hit a net cord

manadrainer
12-12-2011, 03:41 PM
he didnt miss it he was just unlucky to hit a net cord

Yes, we can say luck wasn't on Fed side in that case... anyway when you are serving for the match 40-15 you have to bring it home.

Credit to Nole for saving the first match point and putting pressure on Federer, but I think Fed should have taken the second one. After that he was just spraying errors left and right.

theKSHE
12-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Is it that hard to understand, Saberq? Ofc he missed. Doesn't matter if it was a net cord, he should have done it, period.

Adri89
12-12-2011, 05:32 PM
De Bakker served only once for the match against Monfils - and it was a terrible choke.

Almagro did a good come back against Andreev in the AO.
Verdasco against Stepanek should be mentionned.
I agree with Renaud about Robert and Kubot, truly amazing.
Djokovic and Tsonga of course.

Adri89
12-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Oh, I almost forgot Mello against Dancevic in the first round of Wimbledon, considering Mello was 0-6 on grass before this match I believe : he saved a MP in the fourth and came back from 0-2. Awful lost for my money.