Will Djokovic ever win Roland Garros? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Djokovic ever win Roland Garros?

Jimnik
12-09-2011, 01:26 AM
He's won every other slam.

Topspindoctor
12-09-2011, 01:30 AM
Nadal will win RG until 2014 - after that, you can create this topic again.

rickcastle
12-09-2011, 01:34 AM
If he gets back to his form from earlier this year, then he'd be the main favorite going into RG 2011. I think there's no reason to think he can't beat Nadal at Roland Garros, so I don't see why not.

Three people achieving the career grandslam in a span of four years though :stupid: Shows you how fucking homogenized these courts are.

Jimnik
12-09-2011, 01:56 AM
His biggest issue isn't Nadal, it's mental. He chokes a lot more at RG than any other slam. Some of his losses there have been shocking.

His Wimbledon results are better even though his game is better suited to clay than grass.

BigJohn
12-09-2011, 02:00 AM
If he does, it will take away some of the prestige and overall accomplishment the career GS is.

MIMIC
12-09-2011, 02:02 AM
If he does, it will take away some of the prestige and overall accomplishment the career GS is.

The fuck? :spit:

MrChopin
12-09-2011, 02:06 AM
Nadal is a non-issue for Djokovic, couldn't even take two sets in one match this year, 0-6, and that's slow hard, clay, grass, and medium hard. Nadal's only chance at RG is another Fed-Djokovic SF. Djokovic needs to hope it's Fed-Nadal in SF.

As usual, everyone wants Fed in the other half.

stewietennis
12-09-2011, 02:18 AM
Novak is rounding out to peak form and got to the SF last year so there's reason to believe that he'll eventually get a shot at that major.

Shirogane
12-09-2011, 02:22 AM
He could do it next year. Hope he does.

If he does, it will take away some of the prestige and overall accomplishment the career GS is.Already the case IMO, whether he wins or not.

BigJohn
12-09-2011, 02:33 AM

Already the case IMO, whether he wins or not.

Let's say it would not improve the situation.

shiaben
12-09-2011, 02:46 AM

You had no problem with Federer achieving it. But all of a sudden it blows now all of a sudden because Djokovic would be on the list? Haters will always hate.:o

Anyways, I think the reverse is true. It would mean that this era has more complete all around players. Players that can dominate other players at any stage at any grand slam. True competition.

timafi
12-09-2011, 02:49 AM
he's no Pete Sampras :tape:

Gabe32
12-09-2011, 02:58 AM
I said probably. Nadal is literally the only threat (albeit a huge one). But his physicality is going to catch up with him soon I think, and he won't always be a no-brainer to win RG.

BigJohn
12-09-2011, 03:10 AM
You had no problem with Federer achieving it. But all of a sudden it blows now all of a sudden because Djokovic would be on the list? Haters will always hate.:o

Anyways, I think the reverse is true. It would mean that this era has more complete all around players. Players that can dominate other players at any stage at any grand slam. True competition.

You just keep on producing quality posts.

ssj100
12-09-2011, 03:12 AM
Nadal will win RG until 2014 - after that, you can create this topic again.

I'd say that's a bad prediction. I predict he'll at least win the next 6, taking it up to 2017. Nadal will end his career with 19-20 Slams. Anyone who says otherwise needs to wake up.

tektonac
12-09-2011, 03:15 AM

Already the case IMO, whether he wins or not.

:lol: big troll didn't see this coming.

Topspindoctor
12-09-2011, 03:17 AM
I'd say that's a bad prediction. I predict he'll at least win the next 6, taking it up to 2017. Nadal will end his career with 19-20 Slams. Anyone who says otherwise needs to wake up.

:yeah:

Nadal should take the next 3-4 RG, being conservative. Another 2 Wimbledons, 2AOs and 1 USO. That's another 8-9 slams. Olderer will win roughly one more, bring his count to 17. Thus Nadal will end up at 18-19 slams and Olderer at 17. Therefore Nadal will be GOAT and Olderer 3rd GOAT (behind Nadal and Janko Tipsarevic).

Ibracadabra
12-09-2011, 03:18 AM
Nadal is done. Of course he will.

Yolita
12-09-2011, 03:28 AM
I think he will. In fact, this he played better at Roland Garros than at Wimbledon. The fact that he ended up winning Wimbledon and losing Roland Garros just shows how quickly things can change in a slam.

I think Novak has a better chance of winning Roland Garros than winning Wimbledon. :)

Chase Visa
12-09-2011, 03:43 AM
Depends. I think he will, but the Nadal factor will still hurt.

rickcastle
12-09-2011, 03:52 AM
His biggest issue isn't Nadal, it's mental. He chokes a lot more at RG than any other slam. Some of his losses there have been shocking.

His Wimbledon results are better even though his game is better suited to clay than grass.

I think it's because French crowds are particularly brutal for a guy like Djokovic who so desperately needs to be liked and loved.

Mountaindewslave
12-09-2011, 03:54 AM
it's pretty unlikely... I realize that Djokovic played horribly, but Ferrer just beat him on fast HARD COURT. the reason I bring this up is because a great clay courter, such as Ferrer, can beat him at Roland Garros. Ferrer can't beat Federer or Nadal there.

Djokovic is not a great clay court player overall. he had a great 2011 but with a little less confidence he is not the cream of the crop. the only way for him to win Roland Garros IMO is to have another great season where he comes in with as much confidence as he did in 2011.

there is no way Djokovic wins it otherwise. his best clay level is not as good as Federer's or Nadal's and there may likely be other great clay court players to emerge.

if he's going to do it, it must be in the next year or two. i find it unlikely. as another poster pointed out, he seems less confidence at Roland Garros than any other tournament, less comfortable, less confident.

i would be surprised if he does win it. esspecially considering the questionable health/mental lately....... without confidence he has zero chance. not a clay court player after all.

Yolita
12-09-2011, 03:57 AM
I think it's because French crowds are particularly brutal for a guy like Djokovic who so desperately needs to be liked and loved.
I think you're right. Without the brutal, hostile crowd, Roger would never had won that match in RG this year.

It'll be tough for Nole to win against this crowd, but I believe he'll get it done eventually, he's too good not to.

rickcastle
12-09-2011, 04:00 AM
I think you're right. Without the brutal, hostile crowd, Roger would never had won that match in RG this year.

It'll be tough for Nole to win against this crowd, but I believe he'll get it done eventually, he's too good not to.

Brutal, hostile crowds never stopped Nadal from beating Federer :shrug: Djokovic is pathetic if he lets the crowd get to him.

Saberq
12-09-2011, 04:24 AM
it's pretty unlikely... I realize that Djokovic played horribly, but Ferrer just beat him on fast HARD COURT. the reason I bring this up is because a great clay courter, such as Ferrer, can beat him at Roland Garros. Ferrer can't beat Federer or Nadal there.

Djokovic is not a great clay court player overall. he had a great 2011 but with a little less confidence he is not the cream of the crop. the only way for him to win Roland Garros IMO is to have another great season where he comes in with as much confidence as he did in 2011.

there is no way Djokovic wins it otherwise. his best clay level is not as good as Federer's or Nadal's and there may likely be other great clay court players to emerge.

if he's going to do it, it must be in the next year or two. i find it unlikely. as another poster pointed out, he seems less confidence at Roland Garros than any other tournament, less comfortable, less confident.

i would be surprised if he does win it. esspecially considering the questionable health/mental lately....... without confidence he has zero chance. not a clay court player after all.

you just gotta love the delusional Rafatard fangirls.....Novak will wipe the floor on clay with Nadal

paseo
12-09-2011, 04:30 AM
His problem is Fed, who can beat him there. And Murray in SF, who can really tire him for the final.

I'm sorry NadalTards, but Djokovic right now is just a bad match up for Nadal so he won't be a problem for Djokovic.

Mr. Oracle
12-09-2011, 04:35 AM
Brutal, hostile crowds never stopped Nadal from beating Federer :shrug: Djokovic is pathetic if he lets the crowd get to him.

Pathetic may be a bit harsh. Here is my observation as a lifelong fan of a variety of individual and team sports. Home field advantage is just that because of the partizan crowds. Home team usually plays better, visitors drop their game just that little bit. It takes extraordinary effort to offset the effect a hostile crowd can have. Credit to Nadal for being able to tune out the crowd, but he is an anomaly in that regard. BTW F.O 2011 set a new level for crowd hostility. I never recall Nadal having to play in those kinds of conditions--never.

rickcastle
12-09-2011, 04:49 AM
Pathetic may be a bit harsh. Here is my observation as a lifelong fan of a variety of individual and team sports. Home field advantage is just that because of the partizan crowds. Home team usually plays better, visitors drop their game just that little bit. It takes extraordinary effort to offset the effect a hostile crowd can have. Credit to Nadal for being able to tune out the crowd, but he is an anomaly in that regard. BTW F.O 2011 set a new level for crowd hostility. I never recall Nadal having to play in those kinds of conditions--never.

All right, it may be a bit harsh. But to claim that Federer would never have won that match if it weren't for the crowds is just a pathetic excuse. I think even Federer haters should admit that Federer was in the zone during that match.

Sunset of Age
12-09-2011, 04:59 AM
He may well, he might not.

Would it be too much to ask for certain posters over here to just lend me their crystal ball so I might find out about the winning lottery numbers this coming New Year's Eve?

tripwires
12-09-2011, 05:01 AM
you just gotta love the delusional Rafatard fangirls.....Novak will wipe the floor on clay with Nadal

You just gotta love the delusional Noletard fangirls.

Please. This is Roland Garros. Nadal is a 6-time champion. Even if he loses to Nole, he will not lose that easily.

tripwires
12-09-2011, 05:03 AM

You are just being absolutely ridiculous now.

Sunset of Age
12-09-2011, 05:07 AM

:baby: :baby: :baby:

Posts like these don't do the Djokovic fandom any good, I ensure you.

Topspindoctor
12-09-2011, 05:18 AM

Nadal spanked Olderer many times in front of bad mannered Parisians who were rooting against him :shrug:

Nole can do the same, if he doesn't let crowd affect him negatively and focus on his game rather than some jerks in the stands :shrug:

MIMIC
12-09-2011, 05:24 AM

If it weren't for this little mental lapse, Novak would have bageled Nadal in Madrid. The crowd is no longer an issue for him. But that was just one match....he can't win them all.

tripwires
12-09-2011, 05:46 AM
Nadal spanked Olderer many times in front of bad mannered Parisians who were rooting against him :shrug:

Nole can do the same, if he doesn't let crowd affect him negatively and focus on his game rather than some jerks in the stands :shrug:

I think there was only 1 real spanking, but carry on.

Tennis-Life
12-09-2011, 06:41 AM
This year was the last when Nadal won RG, thanks to Fed. Novak will take the title in 2012

Jimnik
12-09-2011, 06:43 AM
The crowd is definitely a factor but remember he defeated Nadal in Madrid.

rickcastle
12-09-2011, 06:50 AM
The crowd is definitely a factor but remember he defeated Nadal in Madrid.

Yeah but the Parisian crowd is a different kind of animal when it comes to rudeness and hostility.

Shirogane
12-09-2011, 11:36 AM
The crowd is definitely a factor but remember he defeated Nadal in Madrid.I didn't pay attention at the time, but I believe someone here said the majority of the crowd was pro-Djokovic that day. :lol:

Yeah but the Parisian crowd is a different kind of animal when it comes to rudeness and hostility.Can't say I disagree here, but they can definitely be won over... He can be one of those players IMO... We'll see next year.

Super Djoker
12-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Nadal,s success at RG is LARGELY built up on fitness! in the current state of tennis, I think as long as Djokovic isent depleted like this Year, by RG . He has a great chance to win RG! Nadal isent getting any younger! once his legs start to get weary he won,t win another title at RG!

arm
12-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Let's say it would not improve the situation.

Lets say your contribute to this thread so far is equal to zero.

arm
12-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Yeah but the Parisian crowd is a different kind of animal when it comes to rudeness and hostility.

You're wrong. I have watched Rafael play Nole in Madrid and the crowd won Rafael that match. They might not be as rude, but it is one of them on court, unlike when it's Rafael jn RG.

arm
12-09-2011, 12:01 PM

Sadly you're wrong. Nole lost that match because he felt the pressure and Roger served insanely well. He also played like in his golden years, But I think Nole could have handle that much better if Roger's serve had just been good instead of crazy good.

rickcastle
12-09-2011, 12:16 PM
You're wrong. I have watched Rafael play Nole in Madrid and the crowd won Rafael that match. They might not be as rude, but it is one of them on court, unlike when it's Rafael jn RG.

:confused: Wait... you watched Nadal play Djokovic in Madrid and thought crowd helped Nadal win that match? You watched it and didn't realize that Nadal actually LOST? :stupid:

arm
12-09-2011, 12:21 PM
:confused: Wait... you watched Nadal play Djokovic in Madrid and thought crowd helped Nadal win that match? You watched it and didn't realize that Nadal actually LOST? :stupid:

:facepalm: 2009

Egreen
12-09-2011, 12:21 PM

Federer has FIVE RG finals. How many finals does Nole have at RG? At this rate the Career Slam will lose all its luster. Years from now the only Career Slam that will be seen as a huge accomplishment will be Agassi's.:o If Nole achieves the Career Slam then who will be next? Tomic? :o

The CYGS is seen still as a huge deal since no male has done it after Laver. If all of the sudden 3 or 4 more players did this it would not be considered the Holy Grail of tennis.

Nathaliia
12-09-2011, 12:29 PM
with a bit more of focus he could have done it already last year

i don't see any rational argument that for "he will never"

he's young and quite built on confidence; he needs shape and focus there. moreover, i think even if his first part of the season is not as impressive as 2011, he can still build his shape and peak for rg, and his domination against nadal was bigger than on hard apparently - in 2011 i mean

due to surface homogenization we aren't experiencing a group of always dangerous claycourters such as - in the past - costa, squillari, even galo blanco... absent elsewhere, guys who started to live at RG.

in 2004 peak fed lost to a dirtballer kuerten who was even past his prime...
now we're not having stuff like this, classic dirtballers are crap and play challengers, and the main names are all-rounders. and the best all-rounders get high in all slams; djokovic clearly belongs here

Time Violation
12-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Federer has FIVE RG finals. How many finals does Nole have at RG? At this rate the Career Slam will lose all its luster. Years from now the only Career Slam that will be seen as a huge accomplishment will be Agassi's.:o If Nole achieves the Career Slam then who will be next? Tomic? :o

Lol, when was the last time Fed beat Nadal on clay? And how many Wimbledon finals - or even semis - Federer had before he won it the first time? :o :facepalm:

Egreen
12-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Lol, when was the last time Fed beat Nadal on clay? And how many Wimbledon finals - or even semis - Federer had before he won it the first time? :o :facepalm:

The more finals you make at a slam the more proof it is not a fluke.:wavey:

You think Nole will reach 5 RG finals? :lol::stupid:

Time Violation
12-09-2011, 01:15 PM
We'll see :shrug: However, what I am absolutely sure is that if he would reach 5 RG finals, he wouldn't have 4 losses :lol:

Egreen
12-09-2011, 01:20 PM
We'll see :shrug: However, what I am absolutely sure is that if he would reach 5 RG finals, he wouldn't have 4 losses :lol:

Don't think he will have the longevity to reach 5 RG finals from now on. :shrug::wavey:

Time Violation
12-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Well, the new generation of players doesn't really seem that threatening (for now), most likely he wouldn't even need to be peak to be competitive later on. Besides, he doesn't need to reach it 5 times, if he stays healthy he could get 1 or 2 RGs sooner than you would like ;)

arm
12-09-2011, 01:34 PM
I am with sunset of age here, I could really use that crystal ball some if you seem to have.

http://www.myemoticons.com/images/super-smileys/jumbo/baddies/crystal-ball.gif

ossie
12-09-2011, 01:48 PM
he could have won 2011 if he hadnt played all those clay tournaments leading up to rg. he looked tired and uninterested when playing fed and he definitely would have beaten nadal in the final.

EliSter
12-09-2011, 01:50 PM
I think there was only 1 real spanking, but carry on.

Not really.

Time Violation
12-09-2011, 01:56 PM
he could have won 2011 if he hadnt played all those clay tournaments leading up to rg. he looked tired and uninterested when playing fed and he definitely would have beaten nadal in the final.

All those tournaments? He played just two clay masters :confused: And he would have a good chance to win against Fed, if he didn't choke serving for the 5th, but it wasn't the first time and probably not the last time.

tripwires
12-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Not really.

What a succinct post.

Johnny Groove
12-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Never say never, of course.

Though I have to disagree with those thinking the Career Slam has lost some of its lustre. Yeah, Djokovic might win RG and complete his set, but I doubt anyone else will win all 4 for another 20-30 years. Instead of whining about the Top 3 hogging everything, appreciate what we have now, cause in a few years we'll get to a transition era like 98-02 where anyone can win a slam.

asmazif
12-09-2011, 02:13 PM
cause in a few years we'll get to a transition era like 98-02 where anyone can win a slam.

which will undoubtedly be lots of fun :D

keeps us guessing ;) :p

rocketassist
12-09-2011, 02:25 PM

Though I have to disagree with those thinking the Career Slam has lost some of its lustre. Yeah, Djokovic might win RG and complete his set, but I doubt anyone else will win all 4 for another 20-30 years. Instead of whining about the Top 3 hogging everything, appreciate what we have now, cause in a few years we'll get to a transition era like 98-02 where anyone can win a slam.

Appreciate it? Why should I appreciate Wimbledon changing itself just to cater for players like Djokovic so they can win it?

Homogenization = 3 players doing CGS in 5 years. And if they weren't around, well Murray probably would have done it too despite his clay deficiencies.

It's not a good thing.

Johnny Groove
12-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Appreciate it? Why should I appreciate Wimbledon changing itself just to cater for players like Djokovic so they can win it?

Homogenization = 3 players doing CGS in 5 years. And if they weren't around, well Murray probably would have done it too despite his clay deficiencies.

It's not a good thing.

Talk to me in 7 years when Berdych, Soderling, Tsonga, Murray, Ferrer, and Del Potro all have Career Grand Slams.

Oh wait, they won't, because Fedalovic are all time greats. Yeah, the surfaces are more homogenized now, but you still have to have the guts to go for the win. I'd be shocked if another player got a CGS in the next 20 years.

rickcastle
12-09-2011, 02:40 PM
:facepalm: 2009

All right but Jimnik was referring to the time that Djokovic beat Nadal in Madrid crowd. Comparing the reaction of Madrid crowd this year to French crowd for Federer this year, I think the crowd was more hostile for Djokovic during Roland Garros.

Djokovic does get rattled when the crowd is ostensibly against him, that doesn't explain his loss by Federer because Federer was just in the zone during that match but I think some of his questionable losses in Roland Garros can be explained by the fact that he gets rattled and grumpy when the crowd isn't pulling for him.

rocketassist
12-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Talk to me in 7 years when Berdych, Soderling, Tsonga, Murray, Ferrer, and Del Potro all have Career Grand Slams.

Oh wait, they won't, because Fedalovic are all time greats. Yeah, the surfaces are more homogenized now, but you still have to have the guts to go for the win. I'd be shocked if another player got a CGS in the next 20 years.

What I'm saying is Murray would almost certainly win one if it wasn't for them and he's not exactly a great clay courter. There's no difference anymore, it's the top guys who win all the slams because they are all the same. They did the unthinkable and slowed down the US Open this year so it no longer favours aggressive tennis.

Djokovic shouldn't have won Wimbledon and wouldn't if the surface hadn't been catered for his style. It was like playing in a hardcourt slam for him, hence his success.

rickcastle
12-09-2011, 02:52 PM
I don't know how anyone can deny that the homogenization of surfaces had something to do with possible three career slams in the span of four years. Sure Fedalovic might be all time greats but so are Borg, Connors, McEnroe and they were never able to achieve this because the surfaces were so different.

It's cheapened it a bit for sure. It's still a great achievement, like winning four slams in one surface but it doesn't necessarily show a player's versatility anymore.

Action Jackson
12-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Only difference between the surfaces now is the movement, not having to adapt the playing to the surface.

Djokovic well he has a few chances to win it and yes the career Slam has been cheapened. which is very disappointing.

Johnny Groove
12-09-2011, 03:45 PM
I don't know how anyone can deny that the homogenization of surfaces had something to do with possible three career slams in the span of four years. Sure Fedalovic might be all time greats but so are Borg, Connors, McEnroe and they were never able to achieve this because the surfaces were so different.

It's cheapened it a bit for sure. It's still a great achievement, like winning four slams in one surface but it doesn't necessarily show a player's versatility anymore.

Well, Connors should have won all 4, but he was banned from Roland Garros during many of his peak years, including '74.

Borg had 4 USO finals, and only played the AO once.

And Mac rarely played the AO and should have won RG in '84.

Bottom line, I don't think that Borg/Mac/Connors didn't win all 4 due to surface diversity, but more due to politics (Connors at RG), an incredible choke (Johnny Mac at RG), unable to get over the hump (4 time USO finals for Borg), or simple irrelevance (AO until the late 80's.)

Action Jackson
12-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Well, Connors should have won all 4, but he was banned from Roland Garros during many of his peak years, including '74.

Borg had 4 USO finals, and only played the AO once.

And Mac rarely played the AO and should have won RG in '84.

Bottom line, I don't think that Borg/Mac/Connors didn't win all 4 due to surface diversity, but more due to politics (Connors at RG), an incredible choke (Johnny Mac at RG), unable to get over the hump (4 time USO finals for Borg), or simple irrelevance (AO until the late 80's.)

Connors never won a red clay title, should have studied history a bit better. Even then Borg was better on that surface.

JurajCrane
12-09-2011, 04:08 PM
:yeah:

Nadal should take the next 3-4 RG, being conservative. Another 2 Wimbledons, 2AOs and 1 USO. That's another 8-9 slams. Olderer will win roughly one more, bring his count to 17. Thus Nadal will end up at 18-19 slams and Olderer at 17. Therefore Nadal will be GOAT.

A man who you were quoting used irony. You have used freaking hilarious way how to entertain masses. :worship:

mystic ice cube
12-09-2011, 04:09 PM
My answer is yes definitely. Nole is too good on clay to not win it. He consecutively beat the best clay courter in the world this year on his favourite surface.

munZe konZa
12-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Nadal is a non-issue for Djokovic, couldn't even take two sets in one match this year, 0-6, and that's slow hard, clay, grass, and medium hard. Nadal's only chance at RG is another Fed-Djokovic SF. Djokovic needs to hope it's Fed-Nadal in SF.

I always want Nole to play Federer more than Rafa on any surface , to finnish him off more before he retires

nole_no1
12-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Of course he can win and he will win it next year

munZe konZa
12-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Only difference between the surfaces now is the movement, not having to adapt the playing to the surface.

Djokovic well he has a few chances to win it and yes the career Slam has been cheapened. which is very disappointing.

You sound bitter and whiny , I guess that's why you have a semi porn avatar to entertain you

Nole Rules
12-09-2011, 04:27 PM

Well said.

Time Violation
12-09-2011, 04:30 PM

Yea, well, only a year ago nobody would give Nole more than 5-10% chance to win Wimbledon, and now all of the sudden Wimbledon surface suits him perfectly? Something is wrong there :)

rocketassist
12-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Yea, well, only a year ago nobody would give Nole more than 5-10% chance to win Wimbledon, and now all of the sudden Wimbledon surface suits him perfectly? Something is wrong there :)

No offence but it's sick he has a Wimbledon title and Andy Roddick doesn't.

Nathaliia
12-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Andy Roddick is so 1998-2002

arm
12-09-2011, 04:53 PM
All right but Jimnik was referring to the time that Djokovic beat Nadal in Madrid crowd. Comparing the reaction of Madrid crowd this year to French crowd for Federer this year, I think the crowd was more hostile for Djokovic during Roland Garros.

Djokovic does get rattled when the crowd is ostensibly against him, that doesn't explain his loss by Federer because Federer was just in the zone during that match but I think some of his questionable losses in Roland Garros can be explained by the fact that he gets rattled and grumpy when the crowd isn't pulling for him.

My point has nothing to do with wether the crowds affect Djoko or not. I was just disagreeing with the statement that the french crowd can be more hostile to Nole than the spanish crowd in Madrid when he is actually playing Rafa.

Even I got booed in 2009 for cheering for the other guy. And trust me, I was not cheering that hard.

buzz
12-09-2011, 05:14 PM
He has the shots, the movement and endurance. So yes very probable.

And I expect more guys getting the career GS in the next 10 years.

rickcastle
12-09-2011, 05:23 PM

I don't think Connors would've won on RG regardless of politics. And MacEnroe only had one real shot of winning Roland Garros so it's not like he was always a contender. But whatever, this is all hypothetical. Bottomline is they didn't win it, and so did a lot of other all time greats like Wilander, Edberg, Lendl, Sampras, etcetera. Before 2009, only one man was able to win the career grandslam. Then two were able to accomplish it and now another fellow is on the horizon, all within a span of 4 years. It's a bit naive to chalk it up to coincidence that this is all happening when the surfaces are being slowed down.

My point has nothing to do with wether the crowds affect Djoko or not. I was just disagreeing with the statement that the french crowd can be more hostile to Nole than the spanish crowd in Madrid when he is actually playing Rafa.

Even I got booed in 2009 for cheering for the other guy. And trust me, I was not cheering that hard.

It might be more magnified for you because you were actually there. I'm only a TV spectator so I am getting the general vibe of the crowd and always found that French crowds are more expressive in their distaste. And Parisians are especially rude, not just in booing and stuff - just really hostile and elitist. Parisians are a different kind of animal when it comes to rudeness.

arm
12-09-2011, 05:30 PM
I don't think Connors would've won on RG regardless of politics. And MacEnroe only had one real shot of winning Roland Garros so it's not like he was always a contender. But whatever, this is all hypothetical. Bottomline is they didn't win it, and so did a lot of other all time greats like Wilander, Edberg, Lendl, Sampras, etcetera. Before 2009, only one man was able to win the career grandslam. Then two were able to accomplish it and now another fellow is on the horizon, all within a span of 4 years. It's a bit naive to chalk it up to coincidence that this is all happening when the surfaces are being slowed down.

It might be more magnified for you because you were actually there. I'm only a TV spectator so I am getting the general vibe of the crowd and always found that French crowds are more expressive in their distaste. And Parisians are especially rude, not just in booing and stuff - just really hostile and elitist. Parisians are a different kind of animal when it comes to rudeness.

I agree that the point of view is different when you are there or watching on tv. But Just in November, I was in Paris for the Masters, and given my experience with both crowds, I would take Nole vs a Frenchie in Paris over Nole vs a Nadal in Spain without even thinking twice.

But that is obviously my experience. ;)

Johnny Groove
12-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Connors never won a red clay title, should have studied history a bit better. Even then Borg was better on that surface.

Borg should have won the USO in 76 when he had Connors on that green clay the year after Jimbo lose to Orantes in the finals.

Connors, I mean come on, he was barred from RG from 74 to 78, his peak years. Yeah, Borg was King there, but Connors could at least have had a shot. And then, from '79 to '85, Connors made 4 QF and 4 SF at Roland Garros. He was no clay clown.

As for red clay titles, shit, even Roddick has a few.

Now this I agree fully. Roddick was unfortunate to have to play Peakerer from 03 to 05.

That 09 final though :facepalm:

Yeah but in the past those guys were all close. What if Lendl won one of those Wimbledon finals? What if Edberg had won RG over Chang in '89? Would people be complaining of surface homogenization then? Or just appreciating the achievement?

Federer would challenge for all 4 slams regardless of his era. Nadal and Djokovic? 3 out of the 4 they'd challenge for in most eras. Tennis history is littered with guys that won 3 of the 4 slams. Just cause Fed and Nadal and most likely Djokovic will accomplish it does not mean that the achievement has been cheapened, regardless of the obvious surface homogenization.

rickcastle
12-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Yeah but in the past those guys were all close. What if Lendl won one of those Wimbledon finals? What if Edberg had won RG over Chang in '89? Would people be complaining of surface homogenization then? Or just appreciating the achievement?

Federer would challenge for all 4 slams regardless of his era. Nadal and Djokovic? 3 out of the 4 they'd challenge for in most eras. Tennis history is littered with guys that won 3 of the 4 slams. Just cause Fed and Nadal and most likely Djokovic will accomplish it does not mean that the achievement has been cheapened, regardless of the obvious surface homogenization.

Why would people be complaining of surface homogenization then when there was no surface homogenization then? People are complaining about it now because it's a fact that it is happening now. The main question is this: Is winning the career grandslam today still a symbol of versatility and being an all surface player that it was before? I don't think it is because most of the courts play the same way. I'm not discounting that it is an achievement, it is. But before, it was a testament of versatility - now it's a different kind of achievement and certainly not an evidence of being able to adapt your game into different surface speeds.

Sonja1989
12-09-2011, 06:30 PM
For sure. I don't see anything why he wouldn't.

Time Violation
12-09-2011, 06:42 PM

It's Roddick's own fault, he was right there in the finals and he couldn't take it. :shrug: Did Roger have to gift him the title or something? :confused:

Sunset of Age
12-09-2011, 06:45 PM
It's Roddick's own fault, he was right there in the finals and he couldn't take it. :shrug: Did Roger have to gift him the title or something? :confused:

According to some, yes he should have. :p
In fact, he tried, but Roddick wouldn't have any of it. :o

rocketassist
12-09-2011, 06:46 PM

No, but Roddick was a proper grass player who consistently did well at Wimbledon. He didn't rely on the conditions or weak grass era like Djokovic has (avoided Fed and played a choking Frenchie and Nadull- talk about a gift)

Nadull and Djokovic having 3 Wimbledon titles and a final against each other is concrete proof of surface homogenization- it simply shouldn't happen.

Saberq
12-09-2011, 06:53 PM
No, but Roddick was a proper grass player who consistently did well at Wimbledon. He didn't rely on the conditions or weak grass era like Djokovic has (avoided Fed and played a choking Frenchie and Nadull- talk about a gift)

Nadull and Djokovic having 3 Wimbledon titles and a final against each other is concrete proof of surface homogenization- it simply shouldn't happen.

yeah Tsonga choked the SF ....and since when is Nadal easy on grass?

Time Violation
12-09-2011, 07:25 PM

Yeah, well, Fed played the same choking Frenchie and still lost. Novak didn't "rely" on anything there, he just played whoever was at the other side of the net and won the title - he didn't get to choose his opponents, nor the surface; else he would've chosen hard court and Troicki on the other side :p

arm
12-09-2011, 07:32 PM

What's your points? Nole defeated a 2x Wimby champion in the final. Sure Roger is a better grass player than both of them, but he lost in QF to a guy who ended up losing to Nole.

If you're are going to go that way we can start speaking about RG 2009 as well, no?

Sure there has been an homogenization of the surfaces. But what if that had never happened? Roger would have won all the slams from 2008 onwards except RG? NO. These guys are winning slams because they are training to win matches in THESE conditions. You think Djokovic couldn't adapt in faster conditions? Lets look back to lets say AO 2008. That was pretty offensive no? Why isn't he as offensive now? Because he knows he doesn't have to considering the speed of the courts nowadays.

petar_pan
12-09-2011, 07:36 PM
What a bullshit of the thread. He will win few of them.

shiaben
12-09-2011, 08:29 PM
If either of Djokovic or Nadal face each other in Roland Garros next year, it will probably take Nadal 5 sets to come out as the winner. I think it's going to be really tough to defeat Djokovic here this time around. Djokovic has the footwork and energy required to stay toe to toe with Nadal. On top of that his forehand/backhand technique should be sufficient in exploiting errors out of Nadal. Nadal has that advantage over Federer because Federer has that one hander which hasn't helped him on clay against Nadal, with one handers you often get tons of UEs, it's not easy to use. But a player like Djokovic has a backhand that is pretty huge and has quite some pace on it. So as long as Djokovic's backhand does not falter, he has the best shot to take out Nadal here. Probably only player ever to challenge Nadal here from this point on.

Nadal's key will to keep every single damn ball into play and hope Djokovic overshanks it like Federer. Another thing is Nadal's backhand is a lot weaker than it use to be and his serve is terrible. These are a few more reasons why Djokovic should be comfortable to challenge him. The Nadal return of serve is a bit weaker too.

shiaben
12-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Homogenization of surfaces is also blatantly exaggerated. If this is the case, Djokovic should have had a hard time defeating Nadal at the U.S. Open and Wimbledon if it truly feels slow like "clay". If this homogenization is widely accepted, then it seems to favor Djokovic against Nadal.

Yolita
12-09-2011, 08:45 PM

Yes, I agree. When he lost to Roger in Paris it was not only the crowd, it was the streak, the #1, the fact that Roger was serving out of this world... Novak couldn't handle it... But he's getting more experienced with time. The way he handled the NY crowd during the semi vs Roger: defiantly, challenging them, was much better and it paid off. I don't think even the Paris crowd will stop Novak from winning next time.

I would love a Rafa/Nole final. It's a win/win for me and a fail/fail for the Paris crowd. :lol:

Jimnik
12-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Homogenization of surfaces is also blatantly exaggerated.
Indeed.

Almost every young player nowadays has a complete game. They grow up playing on both clay and hard courts and develop every shot in the game. The old days of having slow and fast court specialists are pretty much over.

GSMnadal
12-09-2011, 11:11 PM
He bottled it this year, was his biggest chance.

If he couldn't win it when he was pretty much unbeatable, I fail to see why it should be so obvious he's going to win it later on. No way, jose!

Roland Garros belongs to Rafa, even in these times. :cool:

Saberq
12-09-2011, 11:53 PM

If he couldn't win it when he was pretty much unbeatable, I fail to see why it should be so obvious he's going to win it later on. No way, jose!

because he is a better player than Nadal

GSMnadal
12-10-2011, 12:00 AM
because he is a better player than Nadal

Nadal is a much, much better player than Djokovic. Djokovic of 2011 was just a flash in the pan, in 2012 Nadal will restore the regular order, and take back what is his.

And even the crap version of Rafa still won Roland Garros, so you better watch out Nole. Djokovic will probably be 'in full control' of their match again at the French Open though.

abraxas21
12-10-2011, 01:03 AM
No.

he ain't good enough

MIMIC
12-10-2011, 01:14 AM
Indeed.

Almost every young player nowadays has a complete game. They grow up playing on both clay and hard courts and develop every shot in the game. The old days of having slow and fast court specialists are pretty much over.

Clowns think only Nadal and Federer can excel on multiple surfaces :haha:

ossie
12-10-2011, 01:30 AM
All those tournaments? He played just two clay masters :confused: And he would have a good chance to win against Fed, if he didn't choke serving for the 5th, but it wasn't the first time and probably not the last time.didnt he play belgrade also? regardless, the clay season wore him out, especially those finals against rafa. he could have beaten fed and whats most important he could have beaten nadal at rg, a chance he might never get again. oh well, i guess rafa is not the only one who is stupid when it comes to scheduling

Yolita
12-10-2011, 04:42 AM

This year Federer got in the way. He basically gave RG to Rafa. :)

If Nole had made the finals, he would have beaten Nadal. But next year Nole will have a better chance against Federer, he won't have so much riding on the match as he had this year. I think he'll have a better shot.

RafaNadal2012!!!
12-10-2011, 05:12 AM
With Rafa around?.... No.

No matter what Rafa will not lose to Novak Djokovic on centre court at Roland Garros. That is his court.

rickcastle
12-10-2011, 05:42 AM
Homogenization of surfaces is also blatantly exaggerated. If this is the case, Djokovic should have had a hard time defeating Nadal at the U.S. Open and Wimbledon if it truly feels slow like "clay". If this homogenization is widely accepted, then it seems to favor Djokovic against Nadal.

:stupid: Djokovic beat Nadal easily on slow clay in straight sets this year so why should he have a hard time on other surfaces that play like slow clay.

Mountaindewslave
12-10-2011, 05:48 AM

what leads you to believe this? DJokovic beating Nadal in 2 close clay court matches in 2011 when Nadal was not at his best? and by not at his best, i do not mean 'injured' but that he just was not at his best preforming level throughout much of 2011, even at Roland Garros which he won.

Regularly I would give Nadal the edge on clay no matter what, but esspecially if Djokovic goes into ROland Garros next year with less confidence/victories than 2011, the Nadal certainly would be a big favorite.... you underrate Nadal and speak as though Djokovic is better than him on clay.

which is bizarre. Djokovic cannot come even close to Nadal's best on clay, Rafael is not the best of all time on the surface for nothing

shiaben
12-10-2011, 05:56 AM
:stupid: Djokovic beat Nadal easily on slow clay in straight sets this year so why should he have a hard time on other surfaces that play like slow clay.

Stop trolling. I was responding to those that said Djokovic has a poor chance against Nadal at Roland Garros.

rickcastle
12-10-2011, 06:27 AM
Stop trolling. I was responding to those that said Djokovic has a poor chance against Nadal at Roland Garros.

You're the one trolling because of your inference that the homogenization is exaggerated is somehow supported by the fact that Djokovic beat Nadal pretty easily on other surfaces when he should have a harder time because of Nadal's mastery on clay. Your inference is wrong because Djokovic has shown this year that he is capable of beating Nadal on slow clay, and so why should he have a hard time on other surfaces that play like slow clay? The homogenization has benefited them both because they're both very defensive players.

swisht4u
12-10-2011, 06:28 AM
Djokovic should win it.
I have him as the co-favorite in 2012 if he keeps his form.
And it's also 5 sets so this favors Djokovic against anyone except Fed.

Nadal should also be there in the final but has shown he can't keep up with Djokovic on clay and everywhere else. Look at the last year.

Though Nadal is so good on clay and especially 5 sets but this isn't an advantage with Djokovic.
Djokovic can rally all day long and tires Nadal out, he's done it several times this year and 5 sets is now Nadal's disavantage.

If Fed is on Djokovic's side of the draw then Nadal is the slight favorite, if not then Djokovic is the favorite IMO.

petar_pan
12-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Indeed.

Complete game without volleys haha. Today everybody playing from thr back line because surfaces are so slow.

leng jai
12-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Indeed.

If your definition of a complete game is zero court craft, lackluster volleys, moonball slicing and baseline ballbashing then yes.

Action Jackson
12-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Borg should have won the USO in 76 when he had Connors on that green clay the year after Jimbo lose to Orantes in the finals.

Connors, I mean come on, he was barred from RG from 74 to 78, his peak years. Yeah, Borg was King there, but Connors could at least have had a shot. And then, from '79 to '85, Connors made 4 QF and 4 SF at Roland Garros. He was no clay clown.

As for red clay titles, shit, even Roddick has a few.

Green clay doesn't play the same way as the red, the movement is subtly different and the bounce isn't as high. Come on Connors wasn't beating Borg on red clay in Europe just not good enough on that surface.

He was average on clay compared to the other surfaces. You know why he didn't win on red clay because these were in Europe and he didn't have the balls to play them.

Tell me if you want to go the surface homogenisation argument. Edberg was capable on clay when he played at his best. He could move on the surface, the serve was still effective but the best clay guys could break down his forehand there.

Lendl you know had people like Edberg, McEnroe, Becker in front of him on grass when it was you know fast, low bouncing and virtually impossible to win it from the back. The fact Agassi did it showed what a brilliant achievement it was and his return of serve was a real weapon.

So Agassi winning the career Slam when the surfaces weren't homogonised was brilliant. In other words when Lendl and Edberg played there were sufficient differences between the surfaces, just like when Agassi did it.

Djokovic winning RG, well not like it would be an upset, well it would upset some people.

nalbyfan
12-10-2011, 01:07 PM
If goat cheese won RG in 2009, Nole will do it too 'cause Armanifatbutt is done and he can beat him easily on clay

ossie
12-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Indeed.

agreed, todays players are just so much more versatile compared to previous eras. i think thats also one of the reasons why its so hard for the youngsters to break through nowadays. in the past if you had one extremely strong point in your game like your service you could make it to top 10 or win a slam even (look at roddick for example). nowadays you need to have every shot in the book and be physically strong and mature to stand a chance against the top guys.

tektonac
12-10-2011, 06:04 PM
If your definition of a complete game is zero court craft, lackluster volleys, moonball slicing and baseline ballbashing then yes.

can you imagine if he had all the right skills where his limits would be?

tripwires
12-11-2011, 12:40 PM
agreed, todays players are just so much more versatile compared to previous eras. i think thats also one of the reasons why its so hard for the youngsters to break through nowadays. in the past if you had one extremely strong point in your game like your service you could make it to top 10 or win a slam even (look at roddick for example). nowadays you need to have every shot in the book and be physically strong and mature to stand a chance against the top guys.

You must be retarded. How often do you see serve and volley nowadays? Not that S&V shows great versatility, but to say that today's players are more versatile than the players of the past is quite hilarious. Baselining is just the flip side of the coin to the S&V.

MIMIC
12-11-2011, 02:04 PM
By the end of his career, he'll definitely have at least one RG crown. He will probably win it next year. Other than Federer, who's going to stop him? He has beaten him on clay before and it's not like he didn't have his chances this year. He knows how to exorcise whatever slam demons he has with Federer (like at the U.S. Open) so he only had one minor hurdle to overcome.

Nole Rules
12-11-2011, 03:51 PM
He should and hopefully will.

Egreen
12-11-2011, 03:58 PM
He will probably win 1 RG. But like at Wimbledon, I doubt he will win more than 1 title at each venue. The only slams he will probably win multiple times are the HC slams.

Naudio Spanlatine
12-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Here are my conclusions on this one:

1)If Rafa is in a coma
2)If Rafa doesnt exist
3)If Rafa is dead

:angel:

saniapower
12-11-2011, 09:50 PM
No

Jimnik
12-12-2011, 12:39 AM
Complete game without volleys haha. Today everybody playing from thr back line because surfaces are so slow.
Just because they don't rush in after every 120mph serve. Players still volley when they need to, even on clay.

Yes, Haas has a complete game.

Saberq
12-12-2011, 12:53 AM

1)If Rafa is in a coma
2)If Rafa doesnt exist
3)If Rafa is dead

:haha:

MIMIC
12-12-2011, 01:01 AM

1)If Rafa is in a coma
2)If Rafa doesnt exist
3)If Rafa is dead

Since Nadal is such a non-factor for Djokovic these days, it's almost like all 3 are true. :)

paseo
12-12-2011, 01:21 AM
By the end of his career, he'll definitely have at least one RG crown. He will probably win it next year. Other than Federer, who's going to stop him? He has beaten him on clay before and it's not like he didn't have his chances this year. He knows how to exorcise whatever slam demons he has with Federer (like at the U.S. Open) so he only had one minor hurdle to overcome.

Who? ....CLAYHEART!

http://media.oregonlive.com/tennis/photo/murray-crjpg-7468f4e2c77ecd1b.jpg

Action Jackson
12-12-2011, 04:54 AM
As for the question itself. Djokovic should be able to get 1 RG title.

Shinoj
12-12-2011, 12:30 PM
If the match had went on to the 5th Set against Federer, He would have won the French Open. No Nadal factor here.

leng jai
12-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Just because they don't rush in after every 120mph serve. Players still volley when they need to, even on clay.

Yes, Haas has a complete game.

Epic comeback mate.

Chirag
12-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Of course he can .He has the game to do it and right now no one is near him

Yolita
12-17-2011, 01:15 AM
I think he has a better chance of winning Roland Garros than of winning Wimbledon again. In fact, the biggest irony of 2011 is that Novak won Wimbledon playing worse tennis than the tennis he played in Roland Garros. Go figure. :)

Super Djoker
12-28-2011, 04:57 PM
I am going on Record as saying Nadal won,t win the french in 2012! his knees won,t hold up!

Mateya
12-28-2011, 05:15 PM
If he's healthy and shoulder is ok, he surely will win it. If not in 2012 then some other year until 2015.

The only things maybe stopping him are Nadal, Olderer and in-form Chela.

:wavey:

Sombrerero loco
12-28-2011, 07:51 PM
it depends on nadal

HKz
12-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Nadal isn't the issue. Federer is the issue. Obviously this year Djokovic finally showed his potential for the matchup between him and Rafael, so if they meet at Roland Garros, Djokovic should have a very good chance, however, I wouldn't necessarily say he is the favorite if they were to meet.

Federer, on the other hand, will always be a problematic player for Djokovic as Roger has the exact style Novak doesn't want to face. Having a big serve and ability to end the points very quickly, while being able to flatten out shots unlike Nadal, Federer gives Novak no rhythm for his ground game. Djokovic can still win Roland Garros even if he has to play both Federer/Nadal along the way, however, I think getting through Federer will be the much bigger task.

Blue Heart24
12-28-2011, 11:52 PM
Yes.

Belludal
12-28-2011, 11:54 PM
If Federer can win Roland Garros.

Why not Djokovic? :confused:

coonster14
12-29-2011, 01:03 AM
I think he has only the next 2-3 years to win it to complete his Career Grand Slam, and I believe that he can win it.

Some of his losses at the FO though have been a bit :o, especially the one to Melzer in 2010 in the QF when he was up 2 sets to 0 and lost in 5, and the straight sets loss to Kohlschreiber in R3 when he had such a good clay court season leading up to the FO in 2009.

I agree with HKz that Roger will be the bigger obstacle for Nole to win FO than Rafa due to the match-up.

Mystique
12-29-2011, 05:31 AM
There is no "definitely" in sports, nothing is pre-ordained and whether or not one "deserves" it means bull.
Novak has the game to win it, he has been close to making the final 3 times (losing to Rafa twice and Roger once in 3 semis). Clearly, it has taken the best to beat him and he still has some years of great tennis ahead of him.
I hope he wins it, and in a perfect world he WILL someday win it. But its not a perfect world is it, if it was Ivan Lendl would have been the Champion at Wimbledon at least once in his career.

So I voted probably, and hopefully, he will win it sometime in the next 3 years.

RafaForever
12-29-2011, 05:41 AM
Ofcourse he will. For the next 2 years though maybe he requires somebody (just like Fed)to remove Rafa becoz the one place where he is very hard to beat is inside Philippe Chatrier.(though this statement has lost some value due to the current scenario but still)

Jimnik
12-29-2011, 06:35 AM
Djoker defeated Nadal twice on clay in one year. Something Federer never accomplished. Still doesn't mean he'll win RG but goes to show his game is well suited to clay. Seems ridiculous his Wimbledon results are better.

leng jai
12-29-2011, 06:37 AM
There are barely any competent grass court players so of course his results at Wimbledon even though it's his worst surface.

HKz
12-29-2011, 06:38 AM
There are barely any competent grass court players so of course his results at Wimbledon even though it's his worst surface.

I thought grass court players were stuff of legends.

Jimnik
12-29-2011, 06:44 AM
Maybe but there are other factors. He defeated Federer easily at AO but then lost at RG (should have been the other way round). Not that he's a clay specialist but he's more suited to slow courts than Federer. He simply choked at RG like he did previous years, losing to Melzer and Kohlschreiber. Never had such random losses at Wimbledon.

Goes to show the mental side of the game is more important than technical.

Shinoj
12-29-2011, 10:06 AM
This thread is a

http://mahakhalid.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/hook-line-sinker.gif

Nole fan
12-29-2011, 11:57 AM
I think he has a better chance of winning Roland Garros than of winning Wimbledon again. In fact, the biggest irony of 2011 is that Novak won Wimbledon playing worse tennis than the tennis he played in Roland Garros. Go figure. :)

This. :D

leng jai
12-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Federer played really well in at RG while Nadull was awful in the Wimbledon final - pretty much why the results turned out as they did. On paper I would expect the opposite results in each match.

Saberq
12-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Ofcourse he will. For the next 2 years though maybe he requires somebody (just like Fed)to remove Rafa becoz the one place where he is very hard to beat is inside Philippe Chatrier.(though this statement has lost some value due to the current scenario but still)

:haha: Fed to beat Rafa at RG and :haha: Novak to need to someone to remove Rafa

Shinoj
12-29-2011, 12:43 PM

You should say that Rafa needs somebody to remove Novak otherwise its a new Mallorcan Sobrassada each time.:lol:

HKz
12-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Maybe but there are other factors. He defeated Federer easily at AO but then lost at RG (should have been the other way round). Not that he's a clay specialist but he's more suited to slow courts than Federer. He simply choked at RG like he did previous years, losing to Melzer and Kohlschreiber. Never had such random losses at Wimbledon.

Goes to show the mental side of the game is more important than technical.

But you can also turn it around and claim that clay does help Federer at this stage of his career. The slower surface allows Federer to stay in more of the rallies and he ends up dictating plays because he still technically hits bigger than most players off the serve and forehand.

RafaForever
12-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Err see guys I havn't written off Rafa like most of you have. So there is nothing wrong if one believes that nadal can still turn tables and not get blown away like he is being now. And however dispassionate he maybe RG always turns him on.

And yeah Fed needed someone to remove rafa in 2009 after the classic performance he put up against rafa in the previous GS finals ( FO'08 and AO'09 )

Manequin75
12-29-2011, 05:17 PM
With Rafa around?.... No.

No matter what Rafa will not lose to Novak Djokovic on centre court at Roland Garros. That is his court.

Novak destroyed my ability to make such statements this year :) The IW and Miami losses although painful were still ok - I mean so rafa lost a couple close matches. Big deal - let Novak have the masters and Rafa will take the slams. I shrugged them off pretty quickly even though it hurt a lot at the time. But I never thought we were in the Novak domination of Rafa YEAR yet. That thought didn't even enter my mind. The loss in Madrid was painful as it was on clay, in front of the spanish people and right after Rafa had beaten Fed (rafa usually has his mojo on after he beats Fed). Even though the loss iN STRAIGHTS was painful I still hung on to these ropes of hope - "madrid is in altitude and Rafa doesn't even like playing here" and "madrid is not even real clay" and "even fed beat rafa in straights here in 2009". So I shrugged that off also. Move on to Rome and I saw Novak struggle and win a LONG LONG marathon against Murray. (can't believe andy lost that match - when has he ever choked serving out a match before?). But I was licking my chops - a tired and exhausted novak will be minced by Rafa. rafito will get his mojo back and FO 2011 will have the same storyline as always. ROME final stunned and shocked me. Rafa didn't play bad and yet he had NO chance. ON CLAY??? I could not explain this loss and now FO 2011 seemed in danger. After 3-4 days of "loss of interest in tennis" I once again tried to gather my hopes and was clinging on these hopes - "FO is best of FIVE" even though Rafa looked more fatigued than Novak but hey I was desperate and needed anything positive howsoever remote.

FO 2011 started with Rafa struggling against everybody it seems. All of a sudden it looked like he had no serve, no backhand, weak ROS, non penetrating forehands, slow movements damn how could he win FO this year. He was unprepared. So I spent two weeks watching rafa struggle and Fed/Novak mostly marching along. Then the semis between Novak/fed woke me up. I don't recall ever supporting fed the way i did that match. I so wanted fed to take novak out. That was the only way I could think rafa could win the french. At that point it didn't matter to me that rafa should beat novak for the french - i saw rafa unprepared and struggling and I just wanted him to escape with a win. And he won the finals (although midway in the first set I thought this might be the day rafa would lose to fed for the first time at the FO). But mind you - my FO celebration for Rafa was not that of domination or world-beater. It was that of relief, escaping a bullet types. rafa got lucky and I got lucky :)

After this win I felt Rafa would go on a roll and get the Wimbledon crown. I forgot all about novak mainly coz rafa was talking more confident and novak really was not all that on grass and this was a BEST OF FIVE. After Rafa's match again delpo I thought this was rafa's tournament and the threat was federer not novak. So when fed lost to tsonga I was almost celebrating W for Rafa. In the finals I was calm and expected Rafa to win in 4 if he played ok and straights if he was in form. I didnt understand that match and it was moving too quickly for me. Rafa was spraying errors with his forehand on grass - maybe he was trying hard to be aggressive. I won't say I was shocked and stunned like Rome but I felt therein that Rafa maybe cannot compete with this guy. novak looked physically stronger and dare I say even mentally stronger. I didn't even watch the award ceremony - shut the tv off after match point and to date haven't seen it. These were difficult times and Rafa was hurting, his fans were hurting and i for sure was hurting. I took a break from MTF and Rafa and tennis :). Then after a month or so the hardocurt season started and rafa as usual didn't do much in montreal and cincinnati. Didn't expect him to. But before the start of the USO (my home tournament) I thought maybe rafa gets his serve form last year back. He was talking confident too so i went along for the ride again - trying to buy tickets - saw most of his matches. Super saturday i though fed had the match in the bag but saw novak completely ridicule the best ever tennis player. I couldn't believe that match and rafa-murray match just looked like going through the motions. Here we are again Rafa vs novak USO final. I felt like puking and then going and puking some more. But I secured last minute cheap tickets to the final (thanks to the monday postponement) and just sat there in the stands exhausted remembering all those losses. I didn't have the energy to cheer, yell, shout - just sat there knowing fully well what was going to unfold. And it did and rafa lost again and to add insult to injury it looked like novak was hurting and rafa could push this into a fifth and then who knows what could happen. Novak could barely serve at 80 mph and rafa lost that set 6-1. I was disgusted with rafa and left after the match again skipping the award ceremony.

Since then I watched rafa lose to everybody and their dog, do countless stupid pressers - same ole novak, injured, tired , exhausted. Maybe some of these mtf guys do make sense - rafa is always tired and injured -like he has a night job too. I just wanted the year to end. Again got my hopes up for WTF and they came crashing down when fed pasted him on the wall and pushed a nail in him. davis cup helped and healing process is underway for now. I am too scared to expect anything in 2012. I would love him to win french, wimbledon and olympics. Thats my goal for 2012 as a rafa fan. now he is in abudhabhi again talking injuries and this and that and already talking about a break in february. Just so exhausting being a rafa fan man :)

Mateya
12-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Again, only things which can prevent him winning are in-form Olderer and Starace.

While he finds Roger as a difficult match-up, he doesn't find playing Nadal difficult at all.
:wavey:

SetSampras
12-29-2011, 06:11 PM
If he can win on his grass his worst surface. I see no reason to believe he won win the french before he retires. Nadal and Fed will retire before he will or at least decline much faster so yes there should be quite a few chances on the table for Nole

Yolita
12-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Novak destroyed my ability to make such statements this year :) The IW and Miami losses although painful were still ok - I mean so rafa lost a couple close matches. Big deal - let Novak have the masters and Rafa will take the slams. I shrugged them off pretty quickly even though it hurt a lot at the time. But I never thought we were in the Novak domination of Rafa YEAR yet. That thought didn't even enter my mind. The loss in Madrid was painful as it was on clay, in front of the spanish people and right after Rafa had beaten Fed (rafa usually has his mojo on after he beats Fed). Even though the loss iN STRAIGHTS was painful I still hung on to these ropes of hope - "madrid is in altitude and Rafa doesn't even like playing here" and "madrid is not even real clay" and "even fed beat rafa in straights here in 2009". So I shrugged that off also. Move on to Rome and I saw Novak struggle and win a LONG LONG marathon against Murray. (can't believe andy lost that match - when has he ever choked serving out a match before?). But I was licking my chops - a tired and exhausted novak will be minced by Rafa. rafito will get his mojo back and FO 2011 will have the same storyline as always. ROME final stunned and shocked me. Rafa didn't play bad and yet he had NO chance. ON CLAY??? I could not explain this loss and now FO 2011 seemed in danger. After 3-4 days of "loss of interest in tennis" I once again tried to gather my hopes and was clinging on these hopes - "FO is best of FIVE" even though Rafa looked more fatigued than Novak but hey I was desperate and needed anything positive howsoever remote.

FO 2011 started with Rafa struggling against everybody it seems. All of a sudden it looked like he had no serve, no backhand, weak ROS, non penetrating forehands, slow movements damn how could he win FO this year. He was unprepared. So I spent two weeks watching rafa struggle and Fed/Novak mostly marching along. Then the semis between Novak/fed woke me up. I don't recall ever supporting fed the way i did that match. I so wanted fed to take novak out. That was the only way I could think rafa could win the french. At that point it didn't matter to me that rafa should beat novak for the french - i saw rafa unprepared and struggling and I just wanted him to escape with a win. And he won the finals (although midway in the first set I thought this might be the day rafa would lose to fed for the first time at the FO). But mind you - my FO celebration for Rafa was not that of domination or world-beater. It was that of relief, escaping a bullet types. rafa got lucky and I got lucky :)

After this win I felt Rafa would go on a roll and get the Wimbledon crown. I forgot all about novak mainly coz rafa was talking more confident and novak really was not all that on grass and this was a BEST OF FIVE. After Rafa's match again delpo I thought this was rafa's tournament and the threat was federer not novak. So when fed lost to tsonga I was almost celebrating W for Rafa. In the finals I was calm and expected Rafa to win in 4 if he played ok and straights if he was in form. I didnt understand that match and it was moving too quickly for me. Rafa was spraying errors with his forehand on grass - maybe he was trying hard to be aggressive. I won't say I was shocked and stunned like Rome but I felt therein that Rafa maybe cannot compete with this guy. novak looked physically stronger and dare I say even mentally stronger. I didn't even watch the award ceremony - shut the tv off after match point and to date haven't seen it. These were difficult times and Rafa was hurting, his fans were hurting and i for sure was hurting. I took a break from MTF and Rafa and tennis :). Then after a month or so the hardocurt season started and rafa as usual didn't do much in montreal and cincinnati. Didn't expect him to. But before the start of the USO (my home tournament) I thought maybe rafa gets his serve form last year back. He was talking confident too so i went along for the ride again - trying to buy tickets - saw most of his matches. Super saturday i though fed had the match in the bag but saw novak completely ridicule the best ever tennis player. I couldn't believe that match and rafa-murray match just looked like going through the motions. Here we are again Rafa vs novak USO final. I felt like puking and then going and puking some more. But I secured last minute cheap tickets to the final (thanks to the monday postponement) and just sat there in the stands exhausted remembering all those losses. I didn't have the energy to cheer, yell, shout - just sat there knowing fully well what was going to unfold. And it did and rafa lost again and to add insult to injury it looked like novak was hurting and rafa could push this into a fifth and then who knows what could happen. Novak could barely serve at 80 mph and rafa lost that set 6-1. I was disgusted with rafa and left after the match again skipping the award ceremony.

Since then I watched rafa lose to everybody and their dog, do countless stupid pressers - same ole novak, injured, tired , exhausted. Maybe some of these mtf guys do make sense - rafa is always tired and injured -like he has a night job too. I just wanted the year to end. Again got my hopes up for WTF and they came crashing down when fed pasted him on the wall and pushed a nail in him. davis cup helped and healing process is underway for now. I am too scared to expect anything in 2012. I would love him to win french, wimbledon and olympics. Thats my goal for 2012 as a rafa fan. now he is in abudhabhi again talking injuries and this and that and already talking about a break in february. Just so exhausting being a rafa fan man :)

I found this post very moving...
We've all been there. I still get tears in my eyes when I remember Novak's losses to Rafa, particularly the Madrid 2009 semifinal and the Beijing Olympics. :sad:
But things change so fast in tennis. Remember 2009 and then 2010. Your man has come back before. He can and probably will do it again.
If Novak is to lose his #1, let it be to Rafa. :)
Cheers. :)

Jimnik
12-29-2011, 11:12 PM
But you can also turn it around and claim that clay does help Federer at this stage of his career. The slower surface allows Federer to stay in more of the rallies and he ends up dictating plays because he still technically hits bigger than most players off the serve and forehand.
I'm basing my opinion on this year's results in Madrid and Rome. If Federer is better suited to clay now, he would have performed at all clay events, not just RG.

Yolita
12-29-2011, 11:17 PM
Djoker defeated Nadal twice on clay in one year. Something Federer never accomplished. Still doesn't mean he'll win RG but goes to show his game is well suited to clay. Seems ridiculous his Wimbledon results are better.
As I mentioned before, it's ironic that Nole won Wimbledon playing worse tennis than the tennis he played at Roland Garros.

But I think that Novak managed to win Wimbledon precisely because he lost to Roger in Paris. There was a sense of unfinished business, of frustration, of hunger in Djokovic that kept him going during the first rounds at Wimbledon, when he was far from playing his best tennis. I wouldn't be surprised if Roger's wagging finger helped him as well. :devil: I'm sure that if he had won Roland Garros and become the #1 player, he wouldn't have found the strength to keep going, the satisfaction, and hence the natural relaxation after achieving his childhood dream, would have had an impact on Nole.

So Roger stopped Novak from winning Roland Garros and getting the #1 spot. But only temporarily. And in doing so he made it possible for Nole to win Wimbledon and get the #1 at the same time. I'm sure there isn't a single tennis player who wouldn't die for experiencing that. A perfect crowning for Nole's efforts during the first half of 2011.

And Nole has a much better chance of winning Roland Garros than of winning Wimbledon again, in my opinion... I'm so glad he already has Wimbledon in the bag. :)

Leo
12-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Nadal keeping the French until 2014? Only if someone can take out Djokovic for him...

Djok has a great chance over the next three years. At this point it would be surprising and unexpected if he didn't get the Career Slam.

Leo
12-30-2011, 02:46 PM
As I mentioned before, it's ironic that Nole won Wimbledon playing worse tennis than the tennis he played at Roland Garros.

Well, Djokovic played great at the French in the early rounds and then terribly in the SF vs. Federer. He did the opposite at Wimbledon: scratchy in the start of the tournament but then peaked at the right time for the SF and F. He should never peak too soon.

FormerRafaFan
12-31-2011, 11:33 AM
Yes. Nole will get his career grand slam this year, because Rafa is in shit form, and will probably lose French Open this year.

sports freak
12-31-2011, 01:36 PM
Only a matter of time,sooner then later!

bounccer
06-11-2012, 05:54 PM
I give him 2 years, 3 max, considering he has a tough style of play for his body, he can have a bad day and loose on this surface too (Kohly 2009, almost Tsonga this year)

Today i think it's 33/66

finishingmove
06-11-2012, 05:57 PM
He's gone one step further this year.

Jimnik
06-11-2012, 06:05 PM
I still think his game is more suited to clay than fast courts. His nerves get the best of him during the long brutal RG rallies, especially when he's heavy favourite. Seppi and Tsonga were perfect examples.

Every year will be harder but no doubt he'll get his shot, like Federer 2009. It's a question of whether he takes his chance.

bounccer
06-11-2012, 06:05 PM
He's gone one step further this year.

Let's geat real, only reason to this is the fact that Federer played a godlike match last year whereas this year he shanked like a madman.

Djokovic was clearly better last year, he was just unlucky that jesusFed woke up only suddenly (and disappered after) Djokovic would have beat Nadal last year IMO

Edith09
06-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Yes, he will, he is too good not to win RG.

Hian-GOAT
06-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Yes, surely. Haters gonna hate :bigwave:

born_on_clay
06-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Yes he will

Allez
06-11-2012, 06:54 PM
He has the game to do so. The only problem is that he is only a year younger than Rafa so can't rely on him retiring before he does win. As long as Rafa is there the contest is over. Remove Rafa (and possibly Seppi) and Nole wins.

LiamMFC
06-11-2012, 06:59 PM
He should.

But they said the same about Hingis and look what happened after her finals appearance in 99'.

BroTree123
06-11-2012, 07:00 PM
For sure. He will bide his time.

Smoke944
06-11-2012, 07:01 PM
He has the game to do so. The only problem is that he is only a year younger than Rafa so can't rely on him retiring before he does win. As long as Rafa is there the contest is over. Remove Rafa (and possibly Seppi) and Nole wins.

Rafa is 1 year older but has about 23242423242 more matches in his legs.

Allez
06-11-2012, 07:01 PM
He should.

But they said the same about Hingis and look what happened after her finals appearance in 99'.

Apples and Oranges. The only reason Nole does not win RG in his career is because of Rafa, not some mental breakdown...

Allez
06-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Year in year out Rafa is disproving this theory. He is leaner and meaner than ever before. The loss in weight was calculated precisely to reduce the impact on his joints and it has worked wonders. This whole RG was a demonstration of someone near the peak of his powers. Hasn't reached the crest yet...that will be next year...so I would suggest all the haters to take a year long sabbatical because next year is going to be brutal to their senses ;)

ballbasher101
06-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Not gonna happen sadly. He could have done it this year but luck deserted him. His serve let him down badly in the final. He is a better player than Nadal for sure. Nadal got lucky big time.

Johnny Groove
06-11-2012, 07:29 PM
I still think so, yes.

l_mac
06-11-2012, 07:30 PM

160. Which is about 2 years worth of matches.

GSMnadal
06-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Better pray it rains non stop like it should in tennis, no? :awww:

If only Rafa wasn't so damn lucky they didn't have to play in the rain :(

Smoke944
06-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Year in year out Rafa is disproving this theory. He is leaner and meaner than ever before. The loss in weight was calculated precisely to reduce the impact on his joints and it has worked wonders. This whole RG was a demonstration of someone near the peak of his powers. Hasn't reached the crest yet...that will be next year...so I would suggest all the haters to take a year long sabbatical because next year is going to be brutal to their senses ;)

If you don't think he has reached his peak yet then I really know even know what to say to you.

Allez
06-11-2012, 07:44 PM
If you don't think he has reached his peak yet then I really know even know what to say to you.

There is nothing left to say. Just chill and enjoy the show...

mooncreek
06-11-2012, 08:20 PM
I would say no but Federer won Roland Garros despite Rafa being in the draw. You never know if there's a Robin Soderling or a player like him in the draw that knocks out Nadal first.

tennishero
06-11-2012, 09:05 PM
of course he'll win it

Jamoz
06-11-2012, 09:14 PM
2013 maybe.

Sillyrabbit
06-11-2012, 09:16 PM

Everyone has been saying this since 2008 and yet he was moving better this year on clay than the last 2years :shrug:

NadalesDios
06-12-2012, 03:00 AM
No , Nadal will destroy him every time

Topspindoctor
06-12-2012, 03:03 AM
His best chance was in 2011, where Nadal was playing worst tennis of his life and Novak would most likely routine him in finals. He lost to Olderer though, which was a huge wasted opportunity.

BroTree123
06-12-2012, 03:09 AM
His best chance was in 2011, where Nadal was playing worst tennis of his life and Novak would most likely routine him in finals. He lost to Olderer though, which was a huge wasted opportunity.

FML. Had set points in that first set but mugged them away. Would have been a straight sets beatdown if he took that first set 6-4 IMO.

ahadabans
06-12-2012, 03:24 AM

You were saying?

SerialKillerToBe
06-12-2012, 03:35 AM
You were saying?

His post was assuming Djokovic played even remotely well. Unfortunately, his serve was missing in action, and no tennis player can beat the best player on their respective surface with no serve.

ahadabans
06-12-2012, 03:55 AM
His post was assuming Djokovic played even remotely well. Unfortunately, his serve was missing in action, and no tennis player can beat the best player on their respective surface with no serve.

His post was assuming a great deal that isn't based in reality. I personally don't believe Novak will ever beat Nadal at Roland Garros. But anything is possible and if he does find a way to do it, it surely won't be routine. It will be the battle of his life and will invariably require 5 sets and 5+ hours to achieve.

To think otherwise is to overestimate Novak's abilities and greatly underestimate Nadal's.

isner-fan
06-12-2012, 11:26 AM
The last final has shown that Djok could win 8 games in a row against Nadal on clay. A lot of analysts say, that if the final was not transferred to the next day, Djok might won. So, of course he can win RG next time.

Nole fan
06-12-2012, 11:32 AM
It's obvious he can win RG when playing like shit he still pushed Nadal to 4 sets and without the rain probably 5 and who knows. I'm confident the way he was playing he had a good chance at the title. So the year that his game is clicking again and has no pressure of the Novak Slam, for sure he can beat Rafa in bets of 5 in RG. he already showed that he was more than capable. :shrug:
Of course it won't be easy. ;)

leng jai
06-12-2012, 11:35 AM
2011 was his best chance and we know that didn't happen. Nadal wasn't amazing in the final this year and looked horrific when the conditions went against him. Obviously it's still possible, but it's going to be tough from now unless Rafito declines significantly.

Avi14
06-12-2012, 11:36 AM
If there is one guy who can face rafa at the French open and beat him that's "Novak".

I think he'll win one of the next two french opens for sure :worship:

Alex999
06-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Yes he can, why not. It's his first RG final. people were saying 'Nole can't play on grass', blah, he wins W ... I'm personally so disappointed that I wasn't able to see the end of the match. I had to sleep, wasn't able to record it as TSN was broadcasting something else ... meh... all Canadians care for is hockey. sick and tired of looking for matches on you tube. sorry, I had to vent ...

I was so excited, Nole won the 3rd set, being a break up in 4th, pumped up, really hoped for the 5th set, and then stupid rain ... I just hate it.

Hian-GOAT
06-12-2012, 12:00 PM
No , Nadal will destroy him every time

Call me when he will be ever back to n.1 and will learn how to win without moonballs.

:bigwave:

https://maequeroserit.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/haters-owl.gif

leng jai
06-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Why is there no ban rule for using excessive and terrible gifs?

Fireballer
06-12-2012, 12:22 PM

you do know that Nadal played better in 2011 than in 2010 and 2012 all year long I mean?Problem is 1 guy played better than him

sexybeast
06-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Novak is probably already declining and wont be as good next year. Still he will be nr2 on clay atleast, Nadal might ruin his claycourt credentials, those obsessed with numbers will have to say Djokovic was better on grass than clay because he won Wimbledon but not RG.

Sophocles
06-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Nadal is far from being the immoveable object he has been for Federer at R.G. Nole in last year's clay form could beat Nadal in straights. The question is whether he recovers that form, not whether Nadull has a shock loss. But Novak is far more vulnerable to an early exit at R.G. - he nearly lost to Tsonga & Seppi, for crying out loud - than Nadal, & that is something he has to avoid.

Nole fan
06-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Novak is probably already declining and wont be as good next year. Still he will be nr2 on clay atleast, Nadal might ruin his claycourt credentials, those obsessed with numbers will have to say Djokovic was better on grass than clay because he won Wimbledon but not RG.

Declining at 25. :facepalm:
If anything he's at his peak.

Shinoj
06-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Novak is surely not declining. But man, that guy has so many Ups and Down during a match. Its unbelievable sometimes. Nadal,though a repressed Soul he is, is quite steady on a tennis Court.

NadalSharapova
06-12-2012, 12:40 PM
maybe 1